The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 7 Recap Incl “Women Tell All,” Blogs, Ratings, & 25 Things You Didn’t Know About Me (Most of You)

BenJoJoWrigley
Photo Credit: ABC

With us getting near the ending of the show, and the “Bachelorette” about a month away from filming, of course the question is continually asked to me who the next “Bachelorette” will be. And the answer I’ve given for 3 months, and the one I’ll continue to give is I don’t know. We know their track record with the female lead, and it’s always been someone from the final four of the “Bachelor” season. We also know the statements the President of ABC, Paul Lee, and Mike Fleiss gave at the TCA’s this year both saying they expect the next “Bachelorette” to be “non-white.” Well that leaves only one girl in Ben’s final four who fits that mold. The question then becomes were they just saying that to appease people? I guess we won’t know until the decision is made. Personally my opinion is JoJo seems like the perfect candidate for “Bachelorette,” – I just don’t know how on their current shooting schedule she can get the gig. If there’s a way I’m not thinking of that some of you may have to where they can bring JoJo out to confront Ben for the first time since he dumped her, then 30 minutes later somehow announce her as “Bachelorette” on the ATFR, then three days later begin filming her season, I’m all ears. I don’t see it but maybe I’m missing something.

Get your “Reader Emails” and “Dr. Reality Steve” questions in for this week. Remember, I’m trying to hit 10 “Dr. Reality Steve” questions. Right now I think I have two. Uhhhhh, we need to step it up. The doctor is on a roll.

One programming note: The “Women Tell All” tapes next Saturday in LA. They are pretty strict with when they shoot that show, but if you aren’t familiar, it’s always the Saturday before the overnight date episode airs, so just wanted to remind those that have been asking. They show the audience the episode before they bring the girls out, so then it’ll make sense to them why Caila is on stage. Of course, once the girls head out to the after party to get hit on by “Bachelor” alumni, I’m sure Caila will not be appearing in anyone’s social media pictures because they still have to keep it somewhat of a secret.

Your blogs are up from Chris Harrison and Ben. Chris’ Yahoo.com blog is a whole lot of nothing as usual. Ben’s dives a little more into how he felt when dumping Becca. Not a ton of insight, but at least there’s more there than in Chris’.

Also, Nell Kalter has your Vanderpump Rules recap up to view. You’ll see in “Reader Emails” this week, but apparently Kristen Doute is a fan of my column and mentioned it on a podcast this week. Unfortunately, I have no idea who the hell Kristen Doute is. The fact that she’s on that show makes me think she could possibly be a wretched human being. But hey, I’m glad she reads. Tell her I’m a big fan.

Ratings are in from last night, and as expected, the show took a major dip in ratings due to the fact it went up against the Grammy’s. I believe this was the first year the Grammy’s aired on a Monday and it did well in the ratings, so I’m sure they will keep it on Monday’s now, meaning “Bachelor” will have two major counter programming problems they’ll have to deal with every season of the “Bachelor” – the national championship game and the Grammy’s. The show still got 7.1 million viewers and a 2.2 rating, but obviously compared to last weeks 8.5 million and 2.4 rating, the Grammy’s took a chunk of their audience. It was the second worst rated episode of the season behind, you guessed it, episode 2, which was up against the Alabama/Clemson game.

In the video chat last week, I got a couple questions asking if I was doing Insanity again or any Shaun T videos. Actually, I started back with my trainer at the beginning of the year because, well, I basically took all of December off and felt like a pig. But I’ve also found a new toy that’s started to make it’s way into the fitness world that I think will eventually become huge. It’s called the Vasper machine. Rather than me tell you about it, just click on the links here and here. Luckily, I found a place locally called Relevance Total Health that has a machine which I just started using. Feeling a lot more energized, I sleep better, and any time you can get the equivalent of a 2 hr workout in 20 minutes, well, I’m all for it.

Probably the best news to come out of “Bachelor” world last week was Chris Harrison saying in an interview with Glamour Magazine, that he just signed on for 5 more years of hosting the show. Yippee! Guess that means I’m employed for at least another 5 years spoiling and recapping this show. I’m looking forward to continuing this “journey” with them and see how they can try and top themselves each season. Let the spoilers continue…

Did you see last week that Ben was in US Weekly listing the 25 Things You Don’t Know About Me? In honor of that, I figured I’d do my own list to fill people in on some stuff maybe you don’t know about me. If you’ve followed me long enough, you probably know a few of these things. If not, then it’ll be all new to you. Enjoy…

1. I pretty much know every lyric to every song in “Grease 2.”
2. 90% of the movies I see in the theater are before noon on Saturdays.
3. I can count on one hand how many times a random stranger has stopped and asked/noticed I was Reality Steve. That’s a good thing.
4. Growing up, I used to eat a bowl of cereal before bed every night. And not the healthy kind either. Any sugary cereal out there, you name it, I’ve had it.
5. At my first high school formal, I actually went over to my ex girlfriends house and took pictures with her before my date arrived (my ex and I were broken up but we knew we were getting back together after the dance). Neither of our dates had any clue.
6. I was a pretty good high school basketball player. But the second I got to college, I knew I wasn’t nearly good enough to play Div. 1 basketball and my career ended three days after Midnight Madness when I was cut.
7. In college, our group of friends called each other “Endosmoke,” or “ES,” even though none of smoked, did drugs, or really partied. We even had “ES” t-shirts and hats made.
8. The first apartment I lived in after college was a studio in West Los Angeles, cost $550 a month, and had no furniture except for the table my TV was on. I slept on a futon on the ground. No frame, just the cushion.
9. I started working for the Jim Rome Radio Show two days after I graduated college.
10. The only pet we had as kids was a rabbit named Friendly. She died when she got stuck under the recliner. My sister contends to this day it was my fault. It wasn’t.
11. My closest friends to this day are all ones I met in kindergarten, except for one, who I met my sophomore year of college.
12. I was fired from a sports radio station in 2002 for, ironically enough, writing a profanity laced column for a paid website.
13. Every car I ever had from senior year of high school until 3 years ago was some type of Ford model: Mustang, Escape, and Edge.
14. I used to shoot 100 free throws in the driveway before bed every night from around 6th grade til around senior year of high school.
15. I’ve drunk a half a cup of coffee my entire life. Not a fan.
16. I’m still friends to this day with my high school sweetheart and her family. Even went to her wedding. And her sister’s wedding. And she came to my 40th birthday last year (not the one in Vegas)
17. “Beverly Hills 90210” college years coincided with my college years, hence the reason I started watching it then. I never saw the high school years of that show until later on (college years were still the best seasons, so no need to argue they weren’t. Valerie over Brenda every day of the week. It’s not even close)
18. The “Dawson’s Creek” series finale is one of the top 5 series finales ever on television, and I will debate that with anyone.
19. My first celebrity crush (like many others my age) was Alyssa Milano. I may or may not have bought teen magazines to cut out pictures and make a collage of her.
20. I will sing Taylor Swift in the car, video record it, and text it to people I know. I’m sure they can’t stand it but, hey, that’s what being my friend consists of.
21. I was dating a girl pretty much all of 2014 that I never talked about publicly because I have no interest in talking about my personal life in my blog or on social media.
22. My obsession with the TV show “24” is pretty crazy. I know way too much about that franchise, storylines, characters, etc.
23. I rarely ever listen to music in the car. It’s always on SportsRadio 1310 the Ticket here in Dallas, a station I used to work for. When I visit CA, I listen to the sports stations out there and still hear a lot of the people I used to work with/for.
24. I’ve never been out of the country. When I do, I would much rather travel somewhere tropical than to Europe.
25. When I was a kid, I wanted my middle name to be “Rocketship.” I have no idea why.

Sunday night was the Tanner & Jade wedding, and I tweeted a lot of my thoughts while it was airing. Not too much more to share here, but when you don’t start focusing on the wedding part until an hour and fifteen minutes into the show, you realize the show had a lot of fluff. Basically it was a reunion show set to the backdrop of Tanner and Jade’s nuptials. As I stated on the live chat, it’s a wedding. There isn’t much that you can do to really change up a wedding. The wedding portion was pretty much the same as the previous weddings ABC aired. Oh, well except for that part where Jade said after the fact they cut part of their vows…

You know, gotta make sure we cut the most important part of the ceremony so we can throw Erica Rose up there and tell us how she got knocked up one month into dating a guy and is having a shotgun wedding. Real important stuff (although Erica came out yesterday and ran to a tabloid to make sure everyone knew that they aren’t getting married on May 1st now, they’re gonna wait til after they have the baby. How adorable. True love).

Anyway, with that in mind, I figured I’d make that this week’s poll question:

1. iampunka

February 16, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Surprised he kept Caila. That girl is all over the place, and sabotages herself with insecurity and and an inability to act interested. He should have kept Becca another week.

Otherwise, went as expected. Easy to see that Lauren and JoJo are his two favorites by a mile. I think either would have been a great choice, so once he narrowed it down to both, he was in a win-win situation either way.

2. vessel

February 16, 2016 at 1:29 PM

This is the first time I can remember where I feel like there isn’t an obvious choice for the next lead (if we remove JoJo from the running.) I just can’t see either Amanda or Caila pulling off a whole season, they both seem so wrong for it. Gotta agree with Steve, JoJo seems like a perfect choice.

3. annafay

February 16, 2016 at 2:29 PM

The thing I noticed about the coats was that Lauren was in white and in the middle, everyone else was in black. It was like a Western.

Random topic. Have you ever Heard of Bravo’s talk show Watch What Happens Live. Every episode they have a guest bar tender — a kind of pseudo [non-actor] celeb. Since Nell Kalter recaps VPR & they comment on the Bachelor sometimes — I think you guys should do that sometime you’re in NYC!

And you & Andy Cohen can discuss baseball — and why the Cubbies will never be as amazing as the Cardinals 🙂

4. annafay

February 16, 2016 at 2:32 PM

PS – love Dawson’s Creek too. But part of that because a friend’s brother wrote/produced most of it after the first year.

Belated condolences on Maddy. I know it can be tough beyond words.

5. angelfish

February 16, 2016 at 2:37 PM

When Ben proposed to Courtney, she DID get to wear a magnificent long cape over her gown on her “trek up the mountain”, but did take it off right before the proposal. Her dress was pretty damn dramatic too.

I’m still not getting what’s so fantastic about JoJo. Every other word out of her mouth is “scared”. I know they all have to do the dramatic thing, but aside from being pretty, I just don’t get a shred of personality from her. Maybe Fleiss is going to change everything they’ve done for the past 12 years and make her lead, but I just don’t see anything in her that screams “Bachelorette”.

But hey, I’ll watch anyway. But I still think it’s going to be Caila.

6. G K

February 16, 2016 at 2:53 PM

I keep trying to post and it’s not going through. Here’s my final try.

JoJo is indeed, non-white. You can tell with her deep olive complexion and dark hair (under the blonde highlights). She kind of reminds me of Eva Longoria with her coloring. JoJo’s mother is 100% Iranian and Dad is white.

7. thedoctor

February 16, 2016 at 3:29 PM

What a snooze fest. Two hours of nothing. Was the featuring of Ashley I am audition for the bachloret?

8. hales

February 16, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Since Steve is adamant that Jojo cannot be the next Bachelorette and I really can’t see anyone else in the top 6 leading a season (boring, too young, saying “like” too much) I would love to see someone who previously got a bad edit that Bachelor Nation has grown to love, i.e. Michelle Money. I know she has been on so many Bachelor shows, but at least you know she’s game!

9. kimmyfromdablock

February 16, 2016 at 4:56 PM

I would seriously poke my eyes out with paperclips if Caila becomes Bachelorette (yes I know smart ones, I don’t have to watch). I think she is a bubbly mess who doesn’t know who the heck she is or what the heck she wants. Her over the top bouncy hair and personality reminds me of Catherine Guidici. Ugh and no thanks.

I was not sorry to see Becca go. I don’t think she is all that pretty and I have yet to see a personality. To me, she just seems like she whines a lot. I get a whole Eeyore vibe from her.

10. justforfun

February 16, 2016 at 5:04 PM

I think JoJo would make a good bachelorette. She seems grounded & genuine. If it’s Caila I will have to skip next season. I don’t think I could stand to watch her. She is too immature.

11. G K

February 16, 2016 at 5:53 PM

@hales please not Michelle Money. I would pay cash to not see her again. I’ve seen her too many times on these shows – she needs to try her local bar or match.com at this point.

12. hayleyyy

February 16, 2016 at 6:03 PM

I got the sense that becca was having an emotional fit partly because she was probably embarrassed and stunned that she wasn’t doing as well this season as last. It really rubs me the wrong way that she thinks Ben owes her anything, as if she came into this just expecting him to automatically like her. Shockingly Emily’s reaction was way more mature and reasonable – she expressed sadness that he didn’t reciprocate her feelings but understood that his feelings were simply stronger for other girls who were also amazing people. Becca on the other hand was straight up angry and butt hurt that Ben would deign to like someone more than her! Immature and phony.

13. duckquack

February 16, 2016 at 6:04 PM

happy wedding, and a Bachelor who will soon choose his dearest girlie, and then we have sad news.

On the Wings of Love in 2010, which featured pilot Jake the fake has now 2 of his contestants who have committed suicide….Gia Allemand and just a couple of days ago Lex McAllister died of an overdose.

14. karynr

February 16, 2016 at 7:48 PM

I hope Caila is not the next Bachelorette. She seems like she’s attempting to play a role called how to be chosen as the next Bachelorette, and she’s not doing a really good job. She comes across as phony and calculating.

15. allaboutme

February 16, 2016 at 8:31 PM

They really nailed it at the beginning with Caila “always being on.” It’s so contrived by BOTH contestant AND producer!

And while I think JoJo would be the best candidate for Bachelorette out of this group (which isn’t saying much), I don’t think she is that attractive. Just me?

And I 100% agree – as much talk people were saying about Emily not being mature enough – so far she’s seemed the most rational and mature! That exit interview was ALL class and those other girls could stand to learn from her.

16. yellowcrayon

February 16, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Emily is basically a teenager. Her meeting with Ben’s parents was like a skit out of SNL.

She makes Ben seem old, and yet he comes off quite young at times too.

Yikes, I can’t stand Jojo. I hope I’m not in for a season of her. I’d rather watch Becca (ahh). She also resembles Jay Leno, must be the chin.

17. hurricaneemily

February 17, 2016 at 8:27 AM

Hey, Steve.

Thanks for all the work you do and for another great recap!

You can check out my recap for episode 7 here: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-7-recap/

18. adrie

February 18, 2016 at 5:37 AM

All I hear Ben say when he talks is the word “Process”. It’s like he was asked to find a new word for “Journey” and run with it for the season.

Out if the final girls if it’s not Jojo for the stated reasons, there’s not one other person i would like to see as Bachelorette. Definitely not Caila – girl is crazy. And Amanda’s voice irritates me.

19. cjscjs711

February 18, 2016 at 9:43 AM

The gals with the distinctive personalities have all been eliminated. These all have pretty bland storylines or are just bland people – “I’m afraid, I’m – ” I can’t even think of any memorable quotes. So I don’t see that it matters so much who they choose as Bachelorette.

And as someone on another blog pointed out, isn’t it time an adult woman drop the nickname JoJo, as in JoJo the Clown (ca. 2003 Disney TV preschool show)?