The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 7 Recap Incl “Women Tell All,” Blogs, Ratings, & 25 Things You Didn’t Know About Me (Most of You)

Photo Credit: ABC

-We’re in Warsaw, Indiana, which in “Bachelor” world is known as the older, smarter brother of Arlington, Iowa that graduated college. Doesn’t have a full time salaried job yet, but he’s working on it. At least he has potential. Arlington, Iowa is getting his GED, living at home, and plays video games all day. This has become pretty standard now for the show film an episode in the leads hometown before hometown dates. They did it for Juan Pablo, Chris, and now Ben. They don’t do it for the “Bachelorette,” and probably because, well lets face it, any couple that’s ever made it in this franchise, the girl moved to where the guy was. So I guess that makes their hometown less important. Facts are facts. Has there ever been a couple from this show where the guy moved to where the girl was living? Off the top of my head, the answer would be no. Trista moved to Colorado, Des moved to Washington, Catherine moved to Dallas, etc. Ashley & JP were the closest. They moved to NJ together to split the difference where each of them worked before they moved to Miami together. Not that Lauren will have to move to Warsaw since Ben lives in Denver now, so what was the point of all this again?

-My biggest dilemma last night was whether to watch Taylor Swift open the Grammy’s, or listen to Ben describe Warsaw to us. I mean, c’mon. It was a no-brainer. However, once I saw it was her singing “Out of the Woods?” Meh. Not in my top 20 songs of hers, so I was immediately back to Ben. Ben meets up with his parents in a deli which specifically states they don’t have wifi. They want people to talk. This deli does realize that people can still use their data plan, right? Oh, it’s Warsaw, Indiana and they’re still living in 1965? My bad. Ben gives his parents a quick rundown of the 6 girls remaining, while we get a shot of them walking the streets of Warsaw (pics you saw tweeted out as it was happening back in October) and Ben greeting them on a boat (also pics you saw that day). I know there are some of you reading today who might be new to this site, so this message is for you. Just remember when the show is filming, I’m also spoiling it in real time on my Twitter account. Sometimes it’s through retweeting stuff that’s out there, and sometimes I’m getting stuff exclusively sent to me. But this whole episode was filled with dates that were spoiled as they were happening, so it was almost like we were doing these dates for a second time.

-The girls are staying at a house close to where Ben’s parents live on the lake, and Emily is totally excited about the prospect of living in Warsaw, Indiana – even though that’s not where Ben lives, nor have we been given any indication of plans for him to move back. “I could make babies and start a family here right away.” That was about as believable as Britt saying how much Arlington, Iowa appealed to her. A cocktail waitress at Marquee in Vegas wants to settle down in Warsaw, IN. Sure she doesn’t. But hey, anything to keep Ben happy. Ben also warns the girls not to look over at his house at his parents place and insinuates he might see them still having sex, which was bizarre and wrong on so many levels. I bet Kaitlyn had more sex with Nick last season than Ben’s parents have had in the last month.

-First date goes to Lauren, and Ben goes all Al Bundy on her reminiscing about his high school years. Surprised he didn’t force her to wear his letterman’s jacket that I’m guessing he still owns. Then again, so do I. He tells Lauren about the first kiss he had with a girl in 7th grade that he told, “I want to kiss you but I don’t know how.” Which reminds me of watching the “Pretty in Pink” re-release over the weekend for their 30 year anniversary. We all know how Andi ends up with Blane of course. But has everyone forgotten how awkward, forced, and just weird their kissing scenes were? Basically she kissed him 3 times in the movie: after their first date in front of her house, in his parents barn, then in the final scene at prom. And NONE of them were any good. Go watch. You’ll see. Andrew McCarthy couldn’t kiss if his life depended on it. Well anyway, Ben’s statement that he didn’t know how to kiss in 7th grade reminded me that Andrew McCarthy didn’t know how as a grown up. So there, Ben. Don’t feel so bad.

-They head to the Baker Youth Club, a youth development agency that Ben used to work at. They are joined by Indiana Pacers Paul George, George Hill, and head coach, Frank Vogel. At the time of this filming, the Pacers had yet to start their season. Currently they’re 28-25 and sit in 6th place of the Eastern Conference playoff race, so you could see how this day at the Youth Club really gave them the motivation to out there and strive to be a barely over .500 team this year. Go Pacers! However, Ronny was the star of this date as he is one of the kids known for making half court shots, and if he makes one, Ben must kiss Lauren in front of a bunch of kids who think it’s gross. Did their parents sign waivers for this? Lets hope son. Of course Ronny makes it and Ben and Lauren share a small smooch in front of them. The kids probably want to vomit, but since Ben and Lauren didn’t feel that kiss was adequate enough, they decide to make out away from everyone else. Hey you two, get a room. These kids haven’t even reached puberty yet and you guys are trying to get each other off under the bleachers. What a horrible example set for the youth of America. Ben will not be asked back there to mentor now.

-Ben and Lauren go back to the place where he’s staying to discuss what Leah said about her last week when she said Laruen wasn’t the same in the house as she was around Ben. Lauren said that’s not true, she didn’t know how to defend herself from that and…welp, that’s good enough for Ben. If eliminating Leah and keeping Lauren last week wasn’t a big enough sign he didn’t give a sh** what Leah said, Lauren feels confident now. They leave and Ben takes her to his favorite dive bar, Rex’s Rendezvous. This was a big deal that night with tons of people standing outside taking pictures and video of them walking in, then we literally got 10 seconds of their time at Rex’s. We saw them toasting his friends and that was it. Hell, there was more photos and video on my Twitter feed of what happened at Rex’s than of what was actually shown. Oh well. Whatever the case, Lauren is convinced she’s in love now. Lauren: “I’m not in love with Ben the Bachelor, I’m in love with Ben from Warsaw, IN.” Ok, first off, he has a last name. And secondly, he doesn’t live in Warsaw anymore, nor will he probably ever again. I can’t wait to see Ben from Warsaw, IN propose to Lauren from Alaska Airlines in the finale.

1. iampunka

February 16, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Surprised he kept Caila. That girl is all over the place, and sabotages herself with insecurity and and an inability to act interested. He should have kept Becca another week.

Otherwise, went as expected. Easy to see that Lauren and JoJo are his two favorites by a mile. I think either would have been a great choice, so once he narrowed it down to both, he was in a win-win situation either way.

2. vessel

February 16, 2016 at 1:29 PM

This is the first time I can remember where I feel like there isn’t an obvious choice for the next lead (if we remove JoJo from the running.) I just can’t see either Amanda or Caila pulling off a whole season, they both seem so wrong for it. Gotta agree with Steve, JoJo seems like a perfect choice.

3. annafay

February 16, 2016 at 2:29 PM

The thing I noticed about the coats was that Lauren was in white and in the middle, everyone else was in black. It was like a Western.

Random topic. Have you ever Heard of Bravo’s talk show Watch What Happens Live. Every episode they have a guest bar tender — a kind of pseudo [non-actor] celeb. Since Nell Kalter recaps VPR & they comment on the Bachelor sometimes — I think you guys should do that sometime you’re in NYC!

And you & Andy Cohen can discuss baseball — and why the Cubbies will never be as amazing as the Cardinals 🙂

4. annafay

February 16, 2016 at 2:32 PM

PS – love Dawson’s Creek too. But part of that because a friend’s brother wrote/produced most of it after the first year.

Belated condolences on Maddy. I know it can be tough beyond words.

5. angelfish

February 16, 2016 at 2:37 PM

When Ben proposed to Courtney, she DID get to wear a magnificent long cape over her gown on her “trek up the mountain”, but did take it off right before the proposal. Her dress was pretty damn dramatic too.

I’m still not getting what’s so fantastic about JoJo. Every other word out of her mouth is “scared”. I know they all have to do the dramatic thing, but aside from being pretty, I just don’t get a shred of personality from her. Maybe Fleiss is going to change everything they’ve done for the past 12 years and make her lead, but I just don’t see anything in her that screams “Bachelorette”.

But hey, I’ll watch anyway. But I still think it’s going to be Caila.

6. G K

February 16, 2016 at 2:53 PM

I keep trying to post and it’s not going through. Here’s my final try.

JoJo is indeed, non-white. You can tell with her deep olive complexion and dark hair (under the blonde highlights). She kind of reminds me of Eva Longoria with her coloring. JoJo’s mother is 100% Iranian and Dad is white.

7. thedoctor

February 16, 2016 at 3:29 PM

What a snooze fest. Two hours of nothing. Was the featuring of Ashley I am audition for the bachloret?

8. hales

February 16, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Since Steve is adamant that Jojo cannot be the next Bachelorette and I really can’t see anyone else in the top 6 leading a season (boring, too young, saying “like” too much) I would love to see someone who previously got a bad edit that Bachelor Nation has grown to love, i.e. Michelle Money. I know she has been on so many Bachelor shows, but at least you know she’s game!

9. kimmyfromdablock

February 16, 2016 at 4:56 PM

I would seriously poke my eyes out with paperclips if Caila becomes Bachelorette (yes I know smart ones, I don’t have to watch). I think she is a bubbly mess who doesn’t know who the heck she is or what the heck she wants. Her over the top bouncy hair and personality reminds me of Catherine Guidici. Ugh and no thanks.

I was not sorry to see Becca go. I don’t think she is all that pretty and I have yet to see a personality. To me, she just seems like she whines a lot. I get a whole Eeyore vibe from her.

10. justforfun

February 16, 2016 at 5:04 PM

I think JoJo would make a good bachelorette. She seems grounded & genuine. If it’s Caila I will have to skip next season. I don’t think I could stand to watch her. She is too immature.

11. G K

February 16, 2016 at 5:53 PM

@hales please not Michelle Money. I would pay cash to not see her again. I’ve seen her too many times on these shows – she needs to try her local bar or match.com at this point.

12. hayleyyy

February 16, 2016 at 6:03 PM

I got the sense that becca was having an emotional fit partly because she was probably embarrassed and stunned that she wasn’t doing as well this season as last. It really rubs me the wrong way that she thinks Ben owes her anything, as if she came into this just expecting him to automatically like her. Shockingly Emily’s reaction was way more mature and reasonable – she expressed sadness that he didn’t reciprocate her feelings but understood that his feelings were simply stronger for other girls who were also amazing people. Becca on the other hand was straight up angry and butt hurt that Ben would deign to like someone more than her! Immature and phony.

13. duckquack

February 16, 2016 at 6:04 PM

happy wedding, and a Bachelor who will soon choose his dearest girlie, and then we have sad news.

On the Wings of Love in 2010, which featured pilot Jake the fake has now 2 of his contestants who have committed suicide….Gia Allemand and just a couple of days ago Lex McAllister died of an overdose.

14. karynr

February 16, 2016 at 7:48 PM

I hope Caila is not the next Bachelorette. She seems like she’s attempting to play a role called how to be chosen as the next Bachelorette, and she’s not doing a really good job. She comes across as phony and calculating.

15. allaboutme

February 16, 2016 at 8:31 PM

They really nailed it at the beginning with Caila “always being on.” It’s so contrived by BOTH contestant AND producer!

And while I think JoJo would be the best candidate for Bachelorette out of this group (which isn’t saying much), I don’t think she is that attractive. Just me?

And I 100% agree – as much talk people were saying about Emily not being mature enough – so far she’s seemed the most rational and mature! That exit interview was ALL class and those other girls could stand to learn from her.

16. yellowcrayon

February 16, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Emily is basically a teenager. Her meeting with Ben’s parents was like a skit out of SNL.

She makes Ben seem old, and yet he comes off quite young at times too.

Yikes, I can’t stand Jojo. I hope I’m not in for a season of her. I’d rather watch Becca (ahh). She also resembles Jay Leno, must be the chin.

17. hurricaneemily

February 17, 2016 at 8:27 AM

Hey, Steve.

Thanks for all the work you do and for another great recap!

You can check out my recap for episode 7 here: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-7-recap/

18. adrie

February 18, 2016 at 5:37 AM

All I hear Ben say when he talks is the word “Process”. It’s like he was asked to find a new word for “Journey” and run with it for the season.

Out if the final girls if it’s not Jojo for the stated reasons, there’s not one other person i would like to see as Bachelorette. Definitely not Caila – girl is crazy. And Amanda’s voice irritates me.

19. cjscjs711

February 18, 2016 at 9:43 AM

The gals with the distinctive personalities have all been eliminated. These all have pretty bland storylines or are just bland people – “I’m afraid, I’m – ” I can’t even think of any memorable quotes. So I don’t see that it matters so much who they choose as Bachelorette.

And as someone on another blog pointed out, isn’t it time an adult woman drop the nickname JoJo, as in JoJo the Clown (ca. 2003 Disney TV preschool show)?