The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 7 Recap Incl “Women Tell All,” Blogs, Ratings, & 25 Things You Didn’t Know About Me (Most of You)

Photo Credit: ABC

-When the date card was revealed for JoJo’s 1-on-1 date, it mentioned something about the Windy City. Well, as we found out later and realized earlier this season when she failed miserably at the geography test, JoJo has no clue what city is nicknamed the Windy City because before Ben arrives, she’s clueless as to what she was doing that day. Well, what you’ll be doing is being thrown into an SUV (without Ben) and driven a couple hours to Chicago to meet him. He didn’t even have the decency to make the car ride with her? What a gentleman. She arrives in Chicago to Ben waiting and she jumps into his arms and straddles him. Hey, wait a minute! This isn’t hometown dates. You’re not allowed to do that yet! Lets all keep our eyes open next week when Ben pulls up in each of these girls’ hometowns, gets out of the SUV, and see how many of them come running and jump into his arms. Lets see if Ben can go 4-for-4. This is very important stuff. The straddle vs the lift and spin can also be dissected into who he likes more. That is of course if you’re into body language dissection, astrology, psychics, and tarot cards that don’t mean sh** when it comes to this show.

-Ben and JoJo are going to Wrigley Field – by themselves. This date took place 3 days after the Mets had swept the Cubs out of the NLCS to ensure that Chicago wouldn’t win the World Series for the bazillionth year in a row. Yes, I’m aware of the upgrades the Cubs made to their roster this offseason, and if I’m not mistaken, they are the favorite to win it all this season based on Vegas odds. However, this is the Cubs we are talking about. The Cubs. The lovable losers. I don’t care how good they look on paper. When they haven’t proven they can win it all in over 100 years, you don’t make them the favorite. Not to mention, the stench from Ben and JoJo’s date that very week probably guaranteed them at least another 50 years of losing. Poor Cubbies. But hey, at least you got that really cool song you get to sing at the end of every home win, right? If only they would’ve played that during Ben & JoJo’s date, then we all could’ve had a good laugh. “Go Cubs gooooo…go Cubs goooo…hey Chicago whaddya’ say….Ben is gonna get laid today.”

-One thing we immediately need to correct JoJo on his her inability to throw a baseball overhand. C’mon JoJo. You seem somewhat athletic. This isn’t softball, honey. You can’t chuck a baseball overhand standing 40 feet away from him? My image of JoJo is totally blown now. Throwing a baseball like she’s Jennie Finch did nothing for me. Especially since it didn’t have any sort of rise or drop on it and Ben deposited it into the right field bleachers like Daniel Murphy from the Mets did in Wrigley in the NLCS – twice. Sorry Cubs fans. He ate you for breakfast, lunch, and dinner that series. What makes it worse is that JoJo’s impression of Hector Rondon probably isn’t easing your pain. And you think I’m making fun of you guys. I’m not. I WANTED the Cubs to win it all last season. I had money on them that they would. So watching this date is like a dagger through my heart a second time remembering the ass kicking the Mets gave them.

-These two sit down for dinner in the middle of CF (after the rain died down), and talked about all of JoJo’s insecurities. Yippee! These are always fun conversations to have. You mean the girl that has been “holding back” all season is now going to come forward and not hold back anymore? I don’t know. Lets see if somehow magically by the end of this date we’ll hear JoJo say how she’s no longer afraid and will open up to this process. I mean, we’ve NEVER seen that before, have we? It’s only been 31 seasons and a trillion episodes where someone doesn’t feel comfortable with the process, then 4 minutes later, everything is wonderful. I wonder if JoJo will ever be able to get to that place tonight. It would be totes amaze balls if she did and only be the 583rd time it’s happened on this show. Lets keep our fingers crossed.

-JoJo tells him she’s trying not to pull back, but Ben says when she gets scared, then he begins to pull back. It’s one giant game of pulling, and none of it is on Ben’s junk so that sucks for him. JoJo says her insecurity comes from her past where she usually loved and cared about the person she was with more than they cared about her. Soooooooo, you thought this show would make that better? If anything, your insecurities should’ve multiplied by a million. I don’t know what Ben said to her because I was pounding my head with a spatula while JoJo was revealing her insecurities, but guess what? JoJo is going to open up to Ben!!! “I’m not afraid to fall again…my heart is ready to give to you…because you asked me to.” Really? That’s all it took? Apparently. JoJo is an easy one, I tell ya’. JoJo then announces to everyone watching that she’s TeamBen. You know, as opposed to Team, uhhhh, yeah. There’s only one “Bachelor” this season as far as I can tell. Good to know that 7 episodes into the season, JoJo has finally jumped aboard TeamBen.

1. iampunka

February 16, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Surprised he kept Caila. That girl is all over the place, and sabotages herself with insecurity and and an inability to act interested. He should have kept Becca another week.

Otherwise, went as expected. Easy to see that Lauren and JoJo are his two favorites by a mile. I think either would have been a great choice, so once he narrowed it down to both, he was in a win-win situation either way.

2. vessel

February 16, 2016 at 1:29 PM

This is the first time I can remember where I feel like there isn’t an obvious choice for the next lead (if we remove JoJo from the running.) I just can’t see either Amanda or Caila pulling off a whole season, they both seem so wrong for it. Gotta agree with Steve, JoJo seems like a perfect choice.

3. annafay

February 16, 2016 at 2:29 PM

The thing I noticed about the coats was that Lauren was in white and in the middle, everyone else was in black. It was like a Western.

Random topic. Have you ever Heard of Bravo’s talk show Watch What Happens Live. Every episode they have a guest bar tender — a kind of pseudo [non-actor] celeb. Since Nell Kalter recaps VPR & they comment on the Bachelor sometimes — I think you guys should do that sometime you’re in NYC!

And you & Andy Cohen can discuss baseball — and why the Cubbies will never be as amazing as the Cardinals 🙂

4. annafay

February 16, 2016 at 2:32 PM

PS – love Dawson’s Creek too. But part of that because a friend’s brother wrote/produced most of it after the first year.

Belated condolences on Maddy. I know it can be tough beyond words.

5. angelfish

February 16, 2016 at 2:37 PM

When Ben proposed to Courtney, she DID get to wear a magnificent long cape over her gown on her “trek up the mountain”, but did take it off right before the proposal. Her dress was pretty damn dramatic too.

I’m still not getting what’s so fantastic about JoJo. Every other word out of her mouth is “scared”. I know they all have to do the dramatic thing, but aside from being pretty, I just don’t get a shred of personality from her. Maybe Fleiss is going to change everything they’ve done for the past 12 years and make her lead, but I just don’t see anything in her that screams “Bachelorette”.

But hey, I’ll watch anyway. But I still think it’s going to be Caila.

6. G K

February 16, 2016 at 2:53 PM

I keep trying to post and it’s not going through. Here’s my final try.

JoJo is indeed, non-white. You can tell with her deep olive complexion and dark hair (under the blonde highlights). She kind of reminds me of Eva Longoria with her coloring. JoJo’s mother is 100% Iranian and Dad is white.

7. thedoctor

February 16, 2016 at 3:29 PM

What a snooze fest. Two hours of nothing. Was the featuring of Ashley I am audition for the bachloret?

8. hales

February 16, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Since Steve is adamant that Jojo cannot be the next Bachelorette and I really can’t see anyone else in the top 6 leading a season (boring, too young, saying “like” too much) I would love to see someone who previously got a bad edit that Bachelor Nation has grown to love, i.e. Michelle Money. I know she has been on so many Bachelor shows, but at least you know she’s game!

9. kimmyfromdablock

February 16, 2016 at 4:56 PM

I would seriously poke my eyes out with paperclips if Caila becomes Bachelorette (yes I know smart ones, I don’t have to watch). I think she is a bubbly mess who doesn’t know who the heck she is or what the heck she wants. Her over the top bouncy hair and personality reminds me of Catherine Guidici. Ugh and no thanks.

I was not sorry to see Becca go. I don’t think she is all that pretty and I have yet to see a personality. To me, she just seems like she whines a lot. I get a whole Eeyore vibe from her.

10. justforfun

February 16, 2016 at 5:04 PM

I think JoJo would make a good bachelorette. She seems grounded & genuine. If it’s Caila I will have to skip next season. I don’t think I could stand to watch her. She is too immature.

11. G K

February 16, 2016 at 5:53 PM

@hales please not Michelle Money. I would pay cash to not see her again. I’ve seen her too many times on these shows – she needs to try her local bar or match.com at this point.

12. hayleyyy

February 16, 2016 at 6:03 PM

I got the sense that becca was having an emotional fit partly because she was probably embarrassed and stunned that she wasn’t doing as well this season as last. It really rubs me the wrong way that she thinks Ben owes her anything, as if she came into this just expecting him to automatically like her. Shockingly Emily’s reaction was way more mature and reasonable – she expressed sadness that he didn’t reciprocate her feelings but understood that his feelings were simply stronger for other girls who were also amazing people. Becca on the other hand was straight up angry and butt hurt that Ben would deign to like someone more than her! Immature and phony.

13. duckquack

February 16, 2016 at 6:04 PM

happy wedding, and a Bachelor who will soon choose his dearest girlie, and then we have sad news.

On the Wings of Love in 2010, which featured pilot Jake the fake has now 2 of his contestants who have committed suicide….Gia Allemand and just a couple of days ago Lex McAllister died of an overdose.

14. karynr

February 16, 2016 at 7:48 PM

I hope Caila is not the next Bachelorette. She seems like she’s attempting to play a role called how to be chosen as the next Bachelorette, and she’s not doing a really good job. She comes across as phony and calculating.

15. allaboutme

February 16, 2016 at 8:31 PM

They really nailed it at the beginning with Caila “always being on.” It’s so contrived by BOTH contestant AND producer!

And while I think JoJo would be the best candidate for Bachelorette out of this group (which isn’t saying much), I don’t think she is that attractive. Just me?

And I 100% agree – as much talk people were saying about Emily not being mature enough – so far she’s seemed the most rational and mature! That exit interview was ALL class and those other girls could stand to learn from her.

16. yellowcrayon

February 16, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Emily is basically a teenager. Her meeting with Ben’s parents was like a skit out of SNL.

She makes Ben seem old, and yet he comes off quite young at times too.

Yikes, I can’t stand Jojo. I hope I’m not in for a season of her. I’d rather watch Becca (ahh). She also resembles Jay Leno, must be the chin.

17. hurricaneemily

February 17, 2016 at 8:27 AM

Hey, Steve.

Thanks for all the work you do and for another great recap!

You can check out my recap for episode 7 here: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-7-recap/

18. adrie

February 18, 2016 at 5:37 AM

All I hear Ben say when he talks is the word “Process”. It’s like he was asked to find a new word for “Journey” and run with it for the season.

Out if the final girls if it’s not Jojo for the stated reasons, there’s not one other person i would like to see as Bachelorette. Definitely not Caila – girl is crazy. And Amanda’s voice irritates me.

19. cjscjs711

February 18, 2016 at 9:43 AM

The gals with the distinctive personalities have all been eliminated. These all have pretty bland storylines or are just bland people – “I’m afraid, I’m – ” I can’t even think of any memorable quotes. So I don’t see that it matters so much who they choose as Bachelorette.

And as someone on another blog pointed out, isn’t it time an adult woman drop the nickname JoJo, as in JoJo the Clown (ca. 2003 Disney TV preschool show)?