The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 7 Recap Incl “Women Tell All,” Blogs, Ratings, & 25 Things You Didn’t Know About Me (Most of You)

Photo Credit: ABC

-The group date of Amanda, Caila, and Becca started out innocently enough. You know, the basics of paddling boats and flying kites. It really was a whole lot of nothing. It wasn’t until all three were in a barn waiting for Ben that the realization set it – whoever got the group date rose was automatically getting a hometown. Even though this has been the case on EVERY group date in the episode before hometowns ever, yet, they make such a big deal out of it every season. Ben ups the ante by saying whoever gets the rose will also get extra time with him tonight and the two others will go back to the house. Considering what Amanda got later in the date, Caila and Becca basically missed out on nothing. Outside of some great junk food. Becca loves Taco Bell, so not sure how much she enjoys McDonald’s. Caila looks like someone who eats a kale salad for lunch so she wouldn’t have appreciated the night portion.

-Ben pulls Amanda aside first to talk to her about what this rose means and about her kids. She’s happy that Ben hasn’t judged her by her past since others have and she’s flattered that he’s even interested in her. Then again, Ben wasn’t aware of the complete douchenozzle she was once married to, so maybe that would’ve changed his mind. You know, the guy that just recently spoke to a tabloid talking about his marriage to Amanda, then bought the magazine, took a picture of the article, posted it on his Instagram, and told everyone that he wasn’t selling Amanda out. Yeah, that guy. And the same guy that Amanda said in New Mexico would who will pick up the daughters on a Friday, leave them with his mom, go out Friday night, then Amanda would pick them back up on Saturday. Father of the Year candidate right there. And oh yeah, he’s multiple accounts on dating sites and pictures and texts of women on his phone too according to her. I guess it’ll take til’ next week to realize Ben wants no part of that. But for now, a good make out session and Amanda is happy.

-Ben talks to Becca next and this goes over about as well as a fart in church. Just nothing about this conversation was the least bit positive if you’re Becca. She basically tells him she’s frustrated because nothing she feels from him is any different than what he’s giving the other girls. Although, you can say that the fact she only got 1-on-1 and zero group date roses could’ve been the “answer” she was looking for. She kept asking “Give me something” and, well, that seemed to be in what he was NOT giving her was her answer. Maybe she just didn’t want to see it because she liked him more than Chris and wanted it to be there. Becca with the phrase of the season: “Just don’t blindside me.” Uh huh. For pete’s sake, the word “blindside” has been thrown around so much this season, I half expected Sandra Bullock to be the one to show up at rose ceremonies and dump these women. Speaking of blindsides, hey “Survivor” starts tomorrow! I really hope that “blindside” doesn’t become a thing on this show. Because really, every person outside of the person who gets the final rose is somewhat blindsided because the lead has to make them think he likes them.

-Caila is the last girl he talks to and her big thing is the fact that she’s not grounded anywhere. Ben is big on family, and family values, and growing up in this small town, and has deep roots to where he’s from. Caila moved 17 times before she got to college, so she hasn’t planted any roots anywhere. So when Ben asks her, “Can you fit into a town long term,” Caila’s very calculated response is: “I feel like I’ve been molded to be adaptable.” Ummmmm, whatever. It’s basically the answer to give when you’re on the spot. And since Caila has no place that she really considers home, that’s probably why she can sit at home and watch last season’s “Bachelorette,” see Ben on TV, then decide in her head she wants to eventually ditch her boyfriend for a year to chase the dude on television. I guess it all makes sense now. Will make even more sense if she happens to become the “Bachelorette” as well. She’ll move anywhere, do anything, say anything, and basically just sign on the dotted line to get herself out there since she hasn’t laid her roots down anywhere. We see right through it all.

-Amanda ends up getting the rose which essentially sends Becca and Caila into a tailspin. Becca keeps harping on the fact that she’s not getting anything from him, even though as mentioned earlier, by NOT giving her the rose, she’s right in a way. He isn’t giving her anything. And by not giving her anything, that was his way of getting her ready for BUH-BYE. As for Caila, she’s really worried about this deep roots thing. She’s thinking now that she didn’t get this rose that maybe what she has to offer isn’t enough for him. Maybe he doesn’t want to be with someone who’s moved 17 times before college and dumps boyfriends to chase a guy on TV. Ok, she didn’t say that but I just assumed it. We see both Becca and Caila go back to the house to tell the other girls they got dumped and Ben continued on with Amanda. Everyone at this point seems to be crying or confused, lead by Becca who cries to JoJo on the bed. This is quite the breakthrough actually. Chris dumped Becca at the altar last season and she never shed a tear. Hell, I think she practically skipped out of that barn knowing she didn’t have to marry into that life. Now there’s 5 girls left and she’s crying because she didn’t get a rose on a group date. Progress.

-By getting the rose, Amanda is in for nice, romantic, candlelit dinner under the stars. Or not. Actually, she’s given the date that would have any 6 year old bouncing off walls. McDonald’s then a carnival. I mean seriously, what kid wouldn’t freak out over that? We know from the commercials this season that McDonald’s poured some of their “Breakfast Served All Day” promotion into this show, and this was the start of it back in October. Who wouldn’t want to whisper sweet nothings into their lovers ear over an Egg McMuffin at 8:00 at night? I certainly would. You mean, the hot cakes and sausage don’t contain some sort of aphrodisiac? Could’ve fooled me. And what better way to follow up a date at McDonald’s than to head to the dirtiest possible amusement park ever – a street carnival. I think just an entrance into a street carnival should come with a free Hepatitis test. The carnie’s must’ve loved being on TV last night. Them and their summer teeth and awful hygiene getting national attention. They’ve must’ve declared yesterday a national holiday for themselves. You ever asked a carnie a question before getting on the ride? Don’t. You might lose brain cells.

1. iampunka

February 16, 2016 at 12:22 PM

Surprised he kept Caila. That girl is all over the place, and sabotages herself with insecurity and and an inability to act interested. He should have kept Becca another week.

Otherwise, went as expected. Easy to see that Lauren and JoJo are his two favorites by a mile. I think either would have been a great choice, so once he narrowed it down to both, he was in a win-win situation either way.

2. vessel

February 16, 2016 at 1:29 PM

This is the first time I can remember where I feel like there isn’t an obvious choice for the next lead (if we remove JoJo from the running.) I just can’t see either Amanda or Caila pulling off a whole season, they both seem so wrong for it. Gotta agree with Steve, JoJo seems like a perfect choice.

3. annafay

February 16, 2016 at 2:29 PM

The thing I noticed about the coats was that Lauren was in white and in the middle, everyone else was in black. It was like a Western.

Random topic. Have you ever Heard of Bravo’s talk show Watch What Happens Live. Every episode they have a guest bar tender — a kind of pseudo [non-actor] celeb. Since Nell Kalter recaps VPR & they comment on the Bachelor sometimes — I think you guys should do that sometime you’re in NYC!

And you & Andy Cohen can discuss baseball — and why the Cubbies will never be as amazing as the Cardinals 🙂

4. annafay

February 16, 2016 at 2:32 PM

PS – love Dawson’s Creek too. But part of that because a friend’s brother wrote/produced most of it after the first year.

Belated condolences on Maddy. I know it can be tough beyond words.

5. angelfish

February 16, 2016 at 2:37 PM

When Ben proposed to Courtney, she DID get to wear a magnificent long cape over her gown on her “trek up the mountain”, but did take it off right before the proposal. Her dress was pretty damn dramatic too.

I’m still not getting what’s so fantastic about JoJo. Every other word out of her mouth is “scared”. I know they all have to do the dramatic thing, but aside from being pretty, I just don’t get a shred of personality from her. Maybe Fleiss is going to change everything they’ve done for the past 12 years and make her lead, but I just don’t see anything in her that screams “Bachelorette”.

But hey, I’ll watch anyway. But I still think it’s going to be Caila.

6. G K

February 16, 2016 at 2:53 PM

I keep trying to post and it’s not going through. Here’s my final try.

JoJo is indeed, non-white. You can tell with her deep olive complexion and dark hair (under the blonde highlights). She kind of reminds me of Eva Longoria with her coloring. JoJo’s mother is 100% Iranian and Dad is white.

7. thedoctor

February 16, 2016 at 3:29 PM

What a snooze fest. Two hours of nothing. Was the featuring of Ashley I am audition for the bachloret?

8. hales

February 16, 2016 at 3:45 PM

Since Steve is adamant that Jojo cannot be the next Bachelorette and I really can’t see anyone else in the top 6 leading a season (boring, too young, saying “like” too much) I would love to see someone who previously got a bad edit that Bachelor Nation has grown to love, i.e. Michelle Money. I know she has been on so many Bachelor shows, but at least you know she’s game!

9. kimmyfromdablock

February 16, 2016 at 4:56 PM

I would seriously poke my eyes out with paperclips if Caila becomes Bachelorette (yes I know smart ones, I don’t have to watch). I think she is a bubbly mess who doesn’t know who the heck she is or what the heck she wants. Her over the top bouncy hair and personality reminds me of Catherine Guidici. Ugh and no thanks.

I was not sorry to see Becca go. I don’t think she is all that pretty and I have yet to see a personality. To me, she just seems like she whines a lot. I get a whole Eeyore vibe from her.

10. justforfun

February 16, 2016 at 5:04 PM

I think JoJo would make a good bachelorette. She seems grounded & genuine. If it’s Caila I will have to skip next season. I don’t think I could stand to watch her. She is too immature.

11. G K

February 16, 2016 at 5:53 PM

@hales please not Michelle Money. I would pay cash to not see her again. I’ve seen her too many times on these shows – she needs to try her local bar or match.com at this point.

12. hayleyyy

February 16, 2016 at 6:03 PM

I got the sense that becca was having an emotional fit partly because she was probably embarrassed and stunned that she wasn’t doing as well this season as last. It really rubs me the wrong way that she thinks Ben owes her anything, as if she came into this just expecting him to automatically like her. Shockingly Emily’s reaction was way more mature and reasonable – she expressed sadness that he didn’t reciprocate her feelings but understood that his feelings were simply stronger for other girls who were also amazing people. Becca on the other hand was straight up angry and butt hurt that Ben would deign to like someone more than her! Immature and phony.

13. duckquack

February 16, 2016 at 6:04 PM

happy wedding, and a Bachelor who will soon choose his dearest girlie, and then we have sad news.

On the Wings of Love in 2010, which featured pilot Jake the fake has now 2 of his contestants who have committed suicide….Gia Allemand and just a couple of days ago Lex McAllister died of an overdose.

14. karynr

February 16, 2016 at 7:48 PM

I hope Caila is not the next Bachelorette. She seems like she’s attempting to play a role called how to be chosen as the next Bachelorette, and she’s not doing a really good job. She comes across as phony and calculating.

15. allaboutme

February 16, 2016 at 8:31 PM

They really nailed it at the beginning with Caila “always being on.” It’s so contrived by BOTH contestant AND producer!

And while I think JoJo would be the best candidate for Bachelorette out of this group (which isn’t saying much), I don’t think she is that attractive. Just me?

And I 100% agree – as much talk people were saying about Emily not being mature enough – so far she’s seemed the most rational and mature! That exit interview was ALL class and those other girls could stand to learn from her.

16. yellowcrayon

February 16, 2016 at 9:45 PM

Emily is basically a teenager. Her meeting with Ben’s parents was like a skit out of SNL.

She makes Ben seem old, and yet he comes off quite young at times too.

Yikes, I can’t stand Jojo. I hope I’m not in for a season of her. I’d rather watch Becca (ahh). She also resembles Jay Leno, must be the chin.

17. hurricaneemily

February 17, 2016 at 8:27 AM

Hey, Steve.

Thanks for all the work you do and for another great recap!

You can check out my recap for episode 7 here: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-7-recap/

18. adrie

February 18, 2016 at 5:37 AM

All I hear Ben say when he talks is the word “Process”. It’s like he was asked to find a new word for “Journey” and run with it for the season.

Out if the final girls if it’s not Jojo for the stated reasons, there’s not one other person i would like to see as Bachelorette. Definitely not Caila – girl is crazy. And Amanda’s voice irritates me.

19. cjscjs711

February 18, 2016 at 9:43 AM

The gals with the distinctive personalities have all been eliminated. These all have pretty bland storylines or are just bland people – “I’m afraid, I’m – ” I can’t even think of any memorable quotes. So I don’t see that it matters so much who they choose as Bachelorette.

And as someone on another blog pointed out, isn’t it time an adult woman drop the nickname JoJo, as in JoJo the Clown (ca. 2003 Disney TV preschool show)?