The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 8 Recap Incl Ratings, Blogs, “Bachelorette” Talk, and Lauren a Liiiiiiiitle Tipsy

BenCailahometown
Photo Credit: ABC

Yes! Only 3 weeks away from the finale and it’s on to next season. Granted, I’ve been working on next season for a while now, but I’m talking for their audience. Most people aren’t even thinking about “Bachelorette” they haven’t named one yet, but my mind is already there. I’ve got a few of the guys lined up for next season that I’ll reveal closer to when the season is starting. Also, I think I have a pretty good idea of one of the locations they’re headed to within the U.S. Maybe I’ll share that next week. I don’t know exact dates of when they’ll be there, but when four different people have come to me with info about possible filming there, along with the fact that producers were out scouting the location earlier this month, probably a good chance they’re headed there. It’s certainly not a place I’d ever think of in a million years, nor is it a place I’d ever even heard of before. But hey, not my call. Looks like they’ll be there and I’ll tell you about it soon once I get a few details shored up.

Chris Harrison’s Yahoo.com blog is up now where you can read a whole bunch of nothing. As of this posting, Ben’s blog for People.com hasn’t been posted yet, so I’ll have to include that tomorrow. In the meantime, you can check out Nell Kalter’s Vanderpump Rules recap which is up. I think Jax did something stupid this episode. It’s a complete guess since I didn’t watch and don’t follow the show, but it seems like the whole point of even having him on the show is to do something stupid each episode. Lets hope I’m right.

Get your “Reader Emails” and “Dr. Reality Steve” emails in for this week. Again, I’m shooting for 10 “Dr. Reality Steve’s.” Last week we came up one short. Right now I believe I have 4, so lets see if we can at least double that. C’mon, I know a lot of you have relationship/marriage/sex issues. That’s what I was put on this earth for. To help you with that.

Ratings are in from last night, and the “Bachelor” tied a season high in overall viewers and set their season high in ratings. Their 8.5 million viewers last night tied it with episode 6 (remember last week’s 7.1 million was due to going head-to-head with the Grammy’s), and it garnered a 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demo, which bested the 2.4 rating on episode 6 by .1 of a point. I’m great at math. I could be the next Chris Harrison. Hey, all he’s doing is subtracting whole numbers. Like last night he subtracted 2 from 3 to tell the ladies there was only one rose left. I just subtracted decimals, so that makes me Billy Bad Ass.

One thing I wanted to talk about in regards to the “Bachelorette” is the constant chatter emailed/tweeted/texted to me about “they’re talking to so-and-so about the Bachelorette.” Really? Do you know how many people they talk to about it? Numerous people every year. And do you know what those talks consist of? Essentially a whole bunch of fluff. But rather than take my word for it, I spoke to a few former contestants who had this “Bachelorette” interview before. Of course, they shall remain nameless, but I’m talking about people that were brought to LA, and sat down and met with producers about the gig. Here were the types of questions they are asked during that hard hitting “interview”:

-What are reasons you would want to be “Bachelorette?” What are some reasons you wouldn’t do it?
-What are your needs if you do do it?
-Can you see yourself being the “Bachelorette?”
-What would be hardest thing for you?
-Are you ready for this?
-Are you over whoever broke up with you?

So when you hear people say, “Oh Becca/JoJo/Caila met with producers about being the Bachelorette,” these are what they’re talking about. These “interviews” give the girls no confirmation that they’re getting it, they’re just talking you into it IN CASE they need you. So it really means nothing if you hear “So-and-so met with them about ‘Bachelorette.’” Yeah, and so did others. Just like I said before, until one of these girls is packed up, flown out to LA, and moves into that house where she stays, nothing is finalized. “But I heard she signed a contract.” Doesn’t matter. Becca signed one last season and didn’t get cast. Wasn’t even in the TWO girls they decided to go with to start. “But they hired her a personal trainer and shot her intro video.” Doesn’t matter. Nick and Arie had both of those done for them and they didn’t get the lead role. Obviously one person will ultimately get the role, but just because you’re hearing someone met with producers and they’re talking to them, it really means nothing. They have EVERYONE thinking they’re the one that’s getting chosen, yet, obviously they’re lying. So just keep that in mind going forward.

Another interesting note that happened last week which kinda went unnoticed in “Bachelor” world but could end up being relevant. Did you see where ABC fired their President of Entertainment, Paul Lee? That same Paul Lee who said in January at the TCA’s that he expected the next “Bachelorette” to be “non-white” and “diverse.” So does that mean we can dismiss what he said now? Not sure. Especially since he was replaced by a black woman, Channing Dungey, making her the first ever black network president. That certainly makes things interesting. Does she stick with Lee’s idea of a “non-white” “Bachelorette,” or is it back to usual for the franchise? We’ll find out soon enough.

Speaking of black contestants, a really interesting column posted last week that interviewed 10 former black contestants from past “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette” seasons. Very candid answers from a lot of the contestants, not to mention how varied their responses were. You can tell some of them hated their experience on the show and would never suggest it to anyone of color, yet some enjoyed their time and praised it. It’s always interesting hearing any former contestant being candid about their time on the show. It’s the one thing that disappoints me most about what I do is that it’s basically impossible for me to interview former contestants and get them to open up about what really happened. Sucks.

A contestant from this season Lauren Himle spoke with a local Michigan outlet talking about her time on the show, and if she had any more glowing praises about everyone and everything involved, I’d swear her name was Caila. Although she did throw in that all the girls put on weight, so that was funny. But yeah, this was basically her audition for Paradise, which I will guarantee you she’ll be on. One of the biggest locks of this season.

You know who I’m guessing would LOVE to be on Paradise? Amanda’s ex-husband. He spoke, yet again, to another tabloid trying to defend himself saying he’s a great dad and blah blah blah. Then of course ended it with saying he’d totally go on the “Bachelorette.” This guy is doing nothing to dispel the image that Amanda has given to us of him. Keep it going, buddy. You’re doing a hell of a job.

Speaking of Amanda, in case you didn’t know, she and Lauren are BFF’s since they’re constantly posting on social media together. I don’t follow either of them, but someone who follows Amanda on Snapchat sent me this picture and video she posted of the two of them together Friday night. I’m gonna go out on a limb here and say Lauren likes to get her drink on. Think she was overserved a tad that night? Ha ha great pic. As for the video, it was only one of those :03 snaps that Amanda sent, and at high speed to boot. So don’t blink, you might miss it. It’s a good one though.

AmandaLaurenB

And finally, as for Amanda, even though we get at least one single parent on this show a season, do you think if the lead isn’t going to pick them they should eliminate them before kids get involved? Weigh in.

February 23, 2016 at 10:02 AM

I completely agree that the editing of Teen Mom’s kids crying was way over done. The audio didn’t match the video. That said, you might theoretically think an “instant family” is OK. But when kids are that age…. oh, I remember that. Going on a trip to the beach entails lugging along all kinds of stuff to entertain them and keep them clean. Diapers, wipes, extra clothes, toys, sunscreen, etc. And then, they have fun, but they inevitably tire and get grouchy And probably after an hour, or two tops. Then you have to stop what you’re doing, somehow get them in the car seat and get home before you start getting the urge to beat them. That had to be an eye opener for Smiling Pete, no matter how good of a guy he might be. Even as a parent you sometimes question why you thought having kids was a good idea….. as much as you love them. Errrr… instant family might not have sounded so good after that date.

But the real reason to send Teen Mom home wasn’t her kids. It was her roots. OMG! Couldn’t someone have gone out and bought the woman a box of Clairol hair color, or something? Doesn’t peroxide work in a pinch? You know, personal grooming is a factor to guys. If you have six inches of dark roots growing out of your head, even clueless guys like Smilin Pete are going to have wonder about how much you are keeping yourself together, appearance wise. It was not a good look, at all. I guess she was an episode short of getting a stylist to work on her hair and her marginal makeup effort. Too bad. That might have saved her. Caila’s got nothing going for her except looks (and has zero chemistry with Pete) and JoJo had close to a nightmare hometown date with the Brothers o-Tools. I would have been perfectly find if Ben punched both of them in the face. I’ll bet anyone that knows them would agree with that. Anyway, there was room for Teen Mom to slide in front of one of them. If she could have reigned in the Frankenstein’s Bride look, I think she could have survived another week.

2. kmannone723

February 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM

Tough poll question this week. Ben may have WORKED with kids before, but there is a big difference between working with kids and being a parent. So he kinda needed to see if he could handle being instant dad to Amanda’s kids but the look on his face before they came into her parents house spoke volumes he should’ve said to Amanda before he left there that he can’t be an instant dad to her kids and tell Chris to cancel the rose ceremony and left Amanda there.

3. iampunka

February 23, 2016 at 11:57 AM

One of my favorite parts from the epi last night was when Amanda asked Ben why he made her come to LA if he knew he was cutting her loose. Well Amanda, you traveled all the way from the OC, while Caila came from Ohio, Lauren from Portland and JoJo from Dallas. She had the shortest trip. I was amused.

After watching this show, I think Ben should have picked JoJo. I get her bros being overprotective, and perhaps one of them being a douche, but I think she is the best match for him. I think she is a low maintenance, mature woman. And damn, she looked amazing in that red dress last night.

4. hales

February 23, 2016 at 12:31 PM

Anyone who doubts Steve’s prediction just needs to look at social media for confirmation. The powers that be are trying so hard to hide on social media that Lauren won, that they are just making it more obvious. Last night Lauren had retweeted someone’s tweet to Mike Fleiss saying that her sister, Mollie, should be the next Bachelorette. It was deleted quickly after. Also, Lauren is the only girl in the Top 6 that has never posted a picture of her and Ben on Instagram. Not a coincidence.

5. iampunka

February 23, 2016 at 12:32 PM

By the way, if the next Bachette is either Caila or JoJo, both would qualify as a minority, since both legally are. Caila is half Filipino, and JoJo half Iranian.

I’d prefer JoJo.

February 23, 2016 at 1:39 PM

Can we dispatch with the idea that anyone should get special treatment on this show? Why should a Mom get extra special handling? The kids were like 2 and 3. They forgot about Smilin Pete about an hour after he left. So, are Mom’s just extra sensitive to getting dumped? No, it doesn’t matter who you are. When you get towards the end, getting dumped is extra embarrassing and extra sucky. But, guess what? All of these women signed up & all of them get dumped except one, who gets the honor of being dumped in the tabloids a little later. Teen Mom is getting a better dumping than whoever is standing out there by the ocean waiting for a ring when she gets a two by four across the forehead. And I think all are getting it way better than Lauren B, who’s going to have to deal with the tabloids, social media and all the haters when she gets dumped 2-3 months after the final show. So, can we stop it with the Mom’s should get dumped before a rose ceremony? Nobody gets a good dumping. They all suck.

7. angelfish

February 23, 2016 at 3:09 PM

AS far as propaganda goes, Caila’s family ruled. The Filipino connection was hit and hit HARD in several ways. JoJo’s Iranian connection wasn’t even hinted at, much less showcased. In the run for a non-Caucasian Bachelorette, Caila’s got the upper hand. She specifically looks non-white. JoJo can’t claim that.

IF ABC is still going for their “diverse” lead, they edited Caila and her family perfectly last night. And as I’m definitely a Caila fan, I thought it played very well.

8. smurfette22

February 23, 2016 at 3:12 PM

Amanda looked PISSED last night. Like I honestly thought she was going to slap him in the face. But I’m sorry, she signed up for the show. She knows what she’s getting herself into. I think all of those group date roses went straight to her head. Her daughters are adorable though. But I agree with Rob22, yes, she’s a mom and yes, it’s a big deal to introduce someone to your kids, but she knew there was a chance she’d go home. Besides, he probably wanted to meet everyone’s family before making his decision. Ever since her ex-husband went to the tabloids, I’ve been wondering if she went on the show to get back at him instead of finding love.

Jojo’s family was incredibly rude. She walked into her parents’ house and everyone ran up to her and basically yanked her away from Ben and completely ignored him. She had to introduce him like 3 times before they would pay attention. I understand she has overprotective brothers, but it seems like they were just being jerks because they knew they would get a lot of airtime for that. Also, Ben mentioned how he didn’t appreciate how they were all talking about him in the kitchen and I wonder if he was close to letting her go instead of Amanda. Also, Jojo’s “I love you” sounded more like a subject changer than anything else. She was probably afraid he was going to dump her because she just spoke to her ex so she wanted to distract him. One more thing about Jojo is if I had a nasty break up (and I’m assuming it was pretty bad since he cheated) and I wasn’t planning on getting back together with him, there would be no way I would let my ex watch my dog while I went on a reality show. He parents or brothers or roommates could have watched her dog. But her ex? I wouldn’t be surprised if they got back together.

9. cjscjs711

February 23, 2016 at 3:16 PM

The poll question, the way it was phrased – Of course he should have let her go. He should have let them all go long ago. But it’s a TV show, entertainment, with a schedule. It could not have been any other way. Don’t you think, realistically that is?

10. kmannone723

February 23, 2016 at 6:45 PM

Yeah after seeing Calia’s family I warmed up to Calia being bachelorette if she is indeed chosen. She’s unique enough. Even her mom’s speech was almost a perfect pitch for her to be bachelorette. But I guess time will tell who the Bachelorette will be.

11. hurricaneemily

February 23, 2016 at 10:08 PM

Hi, Steve.

In answer to your poll question, yes, Amanda should have been sent home before hometowns.
    Here is a link to my episode 8 recap: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-8-recap/

12. click

February 23, 2016 at 10:12 PM

Squeaky mom got to juggle her boobs to reel the big fish to feed her children. She’s a 100% mom! Except when she’s taking off for 2 months with a 4% chance to bring home the bacon!
    And who was taking care of the kids while she was gone???
    The dad that she trashes on TV for her kids to see…
    Let’s not forget that she took out time to drive all the way from Orange County to LA, what a SUPERgirl!!!

13. click

February 23, 2016 at 10:42 PM

Mama Soraya is a gem!
    Did you hear her surprised ‘Oh’ after JoJo told her there are 3 more girls waiting in line!

14. jojomo356

February 24, 2016 at 5:39 AM

My husband and I both think its weird that Ben says he feels most comfortable around JoJo, yet doesn’t choose her. Is she in the friend zone or something?

15. rigal

February 24, 2016 at 6:06 AM

Did anyone else notice Lauren B calls a libRary a ‘libary’!!!!

16. smurfette22

February 24, 2016 at 7:24 AM

YES! I totally noticed how she pronounced it “libary’! Let’s hope that ITM was AFTER some of that whiskey.

February 24, 2016 at 7:31 AM

I try not to read too much into things, but looking at JoJo during the Rose Ceremony, it really looked like she thought she was going home. With the ex fiasco and the semi disaster home town… and her not really opening up her fake feelings & pretending to love Ben…. it did seem she was on the chopping block. But I do literally think that Ben experiencing Teen Mom’s kids led him to know that he wasn’t signing up for any of that. So, JoJo lived another day. I don’t see that there is, or will be any special connection there, though. Nor do I see any special connection with Caila. I think Teen Mom, JoJo and Caila are all kind of on the same level with Lauren way up on a pedestal. So, maybe Ben thought he was saving Teen Mom from any more trouble so she could head home to the kids. But, I think he literally could have flipped a coin for F2-4. F5 if you include Becca. Just luke warm connections with all of them. I’m sure that JoJo will get played up big time next week…. get ready for the mis-directs and edits to play a big part. But even without the spoilers, this one is pretty obvious.

18. lissylou

February 24, 2016 at 10:32 AM

Jojo’s ex’s email is confusing. He wanted you to take his info down, but also wanted you to focus on him and their past? That’s odd.

19. cjscjs711

February 25, 2016 at 11:28 AM

Not that this is the only site that does it, but I really wish people would refer to people by their actual names rather than made-up names. The “Teen Mom” comment came about during a scene in which Amanda was clearly being denigrated for having kids at a young age from a bad marriage with a guy she’s now tied to – something that happens sometimes to people of all ages.

To keep perpetuating that characterization, as though this woman deserved the comment – I know it’s meant to be funny, but it isn’t funny. She’s what, 23 or 24 now. She wasn’t a teenager when she had kids and she’s no different from any woman who gets a divorce from a bad situation. How often does divorce occur from a good situation. Amanda.