The Bachelor 20 - Ben

The “Bachelor” Ben Episode 9 Recap Incl Blogs, Ratings, & Emily Maynard’s Book

LaurenJoJo
Photo Credit: ABC

For those asking if Ben and his final pick have already broken up or there’s trouble in Paradise, well, not that I needed People Magazine’s confirmation since I’ve been telling you all season they’re still together, but Ben admitted in an interview on “Good Morning America” this morning that he’s engaged. So this whole two “I love you’s” really isn’t that big of a deal anymore since by the time the finale rolls around, we’ll be almost 4 months removed from the day the proposal happened. (SPOILER): I’m guessing JoJo is over it. Sure, she’ll have questions for him, but I guarantee you the audience of this show is more up in arms about what Ben said than she is. Always keep in mind, and something I drill into your head season after season after season – this is a television show. There’s no need to care so much about people you know so little about. I’m sure it hurt at the time, but JoJo is just fine. I’m sure it doesn’t bother her nearly as much as it did. Oh they’ll make a huge deal out of Ben confronting JoJo at the ATFR for the first time since that day almost 4 months ago, but in the end, he’s happy and engaged to Lauren so ultimately it won’t matter.

As for your “Women Tell All” spoilers, I will have those for you tomorrow. I heard a few things about the taping, but don’t expect a bunch of fireworks or anything like that. Pretty much like all these shows, not a whole hell of a lot happened. But I will get you what I can and post it tomorrow. I know a ton of you tweeted and emailed me pictures from the girls’ snapchats that showed Caila there and were asking me why they’d let them do that since it gives away Caila was eliminated last night. The short answer is, I really don’t think the producers care that much anymore. Also you have to remember that Kaitlyn spoiled her whole season on Snapchat, and they never addressed it. If I had to guess, I’d say less than 5% of their viewing audience is not following these girls religiously on snapchat, so it’s irrelevant. None of them posted any pictures on Twitter or Instagram that gave anything away, and I think that’s what producers care most about. Snapchat isn’t a big deal to them based on what we’ve seen spoiled on it in the past. So yes, while it gave it away, such a tiny percentage of the viewers even saw it in the 48 hrs from when it happened to when Caila was eliminated, they really don’t seem to mind.

Don’t forget to get in your “Reader Emails” and “Dr. Reality Steve” emails for the week. The last couple weeks I’ve had a goal of 10 “Dr. Reality Steve” emails. We had 9 two weeks ago, and 14 last week. Still want to keep the goal right around there. 8-10 every week would be ideal. But it seems like unless I ask for them and beat you over the head with it is the only time we reach those numbers. So be it. Get your emails in or you will NOT be getting any dessert after dinner. And you will go straight to your room.

Emily Maynard’s book comes out today (not to mention she’s pregnant for a 3rd time) and the Charlotte Observer released an interview with her last week discussing it. As I mentioned, I don’t plan on buying Emily or Andi’s book (which comes out in May), but they are books that I fully plan to read while standing in Barnes & Noble. Well, “read” might be a strong word. I will skim until I get to the parts where they talk about “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette” stuff. I don’t care about Andi’s childhood or what not. I don’t care about Emily finding God either. Just point me to the parts where Emily talks about Brad and Jef and I’m good. Which it seems like she most certainly will. Hey, at least Emily is admitting basically the engagement to Jef never should’ve happened, nor did she want it to and told producers so, but of course, producers are always going to win out in the end. Except on Juan Pablo’s season. Somehow they let him get away with not proposing, as he’s the only lead in the last 15 seasons who didn’t have a proposal at the end (DeAnna, Jason, Jillian, Jake, Ali, Brad 2.0, Ashley, Ben F., Emily, Sean, Des, Andi, Chris, Kaitlyn, and Ben H.). So I look forward to seeing what else Emily has to say about Brad and Jef. I don’t expect anything earth shattering or things I hadn’t heard before, but who knows. Maybe she’ll throw a couple nuggets in there to appease her audience.

Ratings are in from last night and down a tad from last week, 8.5 million viewers to 8.1, but still kept a 2.5 rating in the 18-49 demo. In comparison, Chris Soules’ overnight date episode got 8.9 million viewers, but a 2.4 rating. So basically, the show is doing what they expect to do.

Your blogs have been posted. Chris Harrison’s blog of nothing is really becoming a waste of space for Yahoo. Is it just me or when he wrote for EW.com were his blogs a little more in depth? Way to mail it in, Chris. As for Ben’s blog, I guess you’d want to read that one since he talks about his love for two women and wanting to move to Utah so he can marry both. Kidding. I think.

But of course, the best blog to go to is our resident Vanderpump Rules recap from Nell Kalter, who always seems to dissect this travesty of a show like only she can. I may not have seen it, but the recap sure is good. Go check it out.

Now that we’re almost at that time for a “Bachelorette” to be named, it’s time for all of you to chime in. Who would you like to see?

March 1, 2016 at 10:03 AM

Someone let me know what they thought of RS’s blog. Since the site is so jumpy I couldn’t even read it. But since the episode was pretty boilerplate and predictable, except for the two I Love You’s that wafted out of Smilin Pete’s pie hole, I’m sure that’s the centerpiece this week.

2. jessicat

March 1, 2016 at 10:20 AM

The order of the dates went Caila, Jojo, then Lauren. I’m not sure why Steve forgot that and went on about how Ben told JoJo he loved her AFTER he told Lauren the same thing. He forgot that the date order is shown differently when they air it

3. lissylou

March 1, 2016 at 11:52 AM

I pretty much have a migraine after trying to read that. Why is it jumping around so much? Hurts my eyes!

4. mellie3

March 1, 2016 at 12:04 PM

This killed my eyes, but I kept reading…I hope it gets resolved soon!

5. keke1381

March 1, 2016 at 12:37 PM

Jessicat you are incorrect. The order of the fantasy sweet dates was Caila, Lauren, and last was JoJo. Steve is correct. Funny that you tried to correct him though. Haha. Anyways, I think the Bachelorette will either be Jubuliee or Caila, as the show has already expressed that the next lead will be more diverse. I think it should be JoJo but unlikely since she ended up in the final two. Definitely do not think it should be Becca!!!

6. jessicat

March 1, 2016 at 12:51 PM

keke, you obviously didn’t understand my comment. They AIRED the dates in the order that you mentioned, but when they actually FILMED the overnights they went Caila, Jojo and then Lauren. That’s what I was referring to. So in reality, Ben said he loved Jojo first, and then told Lauren the same thing.

7. scarlett1

March 1, 2016 at 1:25 PM

Jessicat is correct. The dates were aired out of order from how they were filmed. The site is pratically un-readable between the snail- pace and jumping. Please get this fixed Steve. As is= waste of time!

8. thebethness

March 1, 2016 at 1:32 PM

But Jessicat, I just watched it and I saw the order! LOL, I kid, I kid. I did find it funny that at the beginning of Lauren’s date Ben was saying in his ITM how he just came off a great overnight with Caila. I wonder if that was recorded later, or if they know at the time that they will show them out of order.

9. kwilson1101

March 1, 2016 at 1:55 PM

I’d pay to see footage of Caila destroying that toy house she and Ben built on her hometown date. I’m guessing she’s not going to be hanging onto it now.

10. iampunka

March 1, 2016 at 1:56 PM

Should have picked JoJo. She has a certain something unique going on, and Lauren is just another average peroxide blonde. Plus, Ben is himself with her most, which is huge in a relationship.

11. kimmyfromdablock

March 1, 2016 at 2:00 PM

I really hope Caila is not the next Bachelorette. I find her super annoying and just way too young. She doesn’t seem mature enough for marriage on any level (not that it matters). JoJo is the only worthwhile pick. Jubilee…..is too ghetto (and I mean that in the nicest, non-racist way).

12. thebethness

March 1, 2016 at 2:02 PM

Lauren reminds me of Carly Waddell, but way less annoying and insecure, obviously. Just the way she talks and articulates things, combined with her look. Jojo is awesome, but I think she would eat Ben alive if he didn’t have the upper hand of being The Bachelor. She seems “older”, not in years or looks but life/love/dating experience.

13. leeroyjenkins

March 1, 2016 at 2:04 PM

Actually, when Bevin told Andy Baldwin that she loved him, he said it back. Then he picked Tessa, go figure.

March 1, 2016 at 2:23 PM

@thebethness: I did notice that there were a lot of voiceovers that seemed to have been dubbed later. I know they do that, and you can kind of tell when they sound like they’re being read and strongly backup a narrative that they’re trying to push…. especially anything that might confuse viewers into thinking that Smilin Pete is torn about who he’s going to pick. I agree with RS that the “I Love You” thing with JoJo seemed kinda off. I saw a physical attraction, but not the emotional investment that he’s having, and the show is not hiding, with Lauren. In short, the JoJo I love you felt like, as RS noted, it was Producer driven or suggested. Maybe they ran a subliminal message into his bedroom at night. :) Nice catch by jessicat that the scenes were out of order with JoJo’s date actually being before Lauren’s date (are these really dates? They seem more like scenes). Though the order muddies the waters, I have to imagine the Producers already knew that Smilin Pete was in love with Lauren (“show” love, of course, they’ve spent a total of 2 actual days together). So, even with JoJo going first, they still could have pushed the I Love You to happen knowing it was coming on Lauren’s date.

It’s kind of sick how we watch this show these days, but it’s also kind of fun. We can really start to pick out all the quick jump cuts with a voice over kind of squeezed in and say, hey, that seemed dubbed. Wait a minute. Or whoa, that sounded like it was being read off a script in a dull monotone & was maybe added later. Everyone is getting really good at seeing that stuff now.

15. justforfun

March 1, 2016 at 3:13 PM

I didn’t think it was possible for this site to get any worse, but it is now unreadable with the page jumping around. Fix your site RS!!!!

16. LynnS

March 1, 2016 at 3:58 PM

This site got so bad for me that I couldn’t read it anymore. The pages were constantly reloading and the ads were ridiculous. Scrolling down the page was near impossible.

About a year ago, I got an ad blocker (they’re free). Now there are no ads, and the pages never need to reload. It is fast the way a web page should be.

17. cjscjs711

March 1, 2016 at 10:07 PM

@LynnS Same here, with the ad blocker. No problems ever since, including today. None whatsoever.

I think Joelle would have been a better mate for him than Lauren, but what does it matter what we think. Lauren does seem like the typical generic blonde with a very flat near-emotionless delivery of her words, but Ben must see a lot more in her than we do.

I’m fine with Caila as Bachelorette. Our bunch has gotten a little jaded over time on this series, but I was watching with the gals at the gym, and they just couldn’t stop their tears from flowing all over the place during the Caila rejection.

18. sleeprgirl

March 1, 2016 at 10:19 PM

I am a steady fan of The Bachelor, but I wish it was a bit more seamless in the scripted arena. Not sure why that is with such a large staff/crew. I know it isn’t 48 hours or 60 minutes, but not all the viewers are bored, dumb blonde housewives.

The rose ceremony was so uncomfortable to watch. Since they were trying to mix it up this season, why not just go to Jojo and Lauren’s rooms individually and ask them to “accept this rose”. Putting them together at that point…was pointless. The entire 2 hours was weird.

I predicted on twitter 4-5weeks ago that both Jojo and Lauren would go to the end. Logical. Gilligan’s island. Lauren is Mary Ann and Jojo is Ginger.

Caila is pretty but so insecure (runs her hands thru her hair every 2 seconds) and can not express herself verbally. Her one on one w/Ben proved in my eyes. She made NO sense at all. How could she carry an entire show? That would be very difficult for the producers to pull off. Jojo is gorgeous, already successful and confident. As a previous comment said, mature for her age. She can handle the entirety of a huge show. She and her family has dealt with reality TV and be able to handle 28 men. Caila has already professed that she has a rigid shell in her few words.

Jubilee is beautiful, but she makes Lace and Olivia look emotionally sound. I understand the need for diversity, but there should be tons of women out there that could take on the role of The Bachelorette.

The executives of the show have got to do better than some of this amateur-ish work, as viewers will begin to loose interest. I do love the post bachelor show. It was fun, and gave us insight to the weeks show and to the girls themself. It would be interesting to have someone like Emily to come on the after show each week and give a short editorial of her perspective as they have done with a first season wife from Married at First Sight. Change things up a bit.

I do love seeing beautiful clothing, great hair and makeup, romantic hotspots. They have that going for them. They just need to step up their night time slot instead of it seeming like a bad daytime soap opera.

19. duckquack

March 2, 2016 at 2:29 AM

Steve you will be bored reading her book, it’s all about finding God….sure Jef and Brad are mentioned but it’s an old story and nothing you have not read already…
    plain and simple her book sucks big time.

20. product19

March 2, 2016 at 6:29 AM

Is it just me or is Donald Trump running for president with the same motivation as people appearing on this show? “Are you here for the right reasons” Trump?

March 2, 2016 at 8:30 AM

I agree with the point that Caila is not looking good for The Bachelorette. Unless the show is embracing painful silences as a new and exciting entertainment tool, I don’t see how she can pull it off.

I also have to agree that JoJo is really the only viable candidate on the current show. Although there are certainly some logistical challenges in making it happen, the show could overcome those challenges if they want. I would think that having a good lead is more important than the schedule convenience of using an F3 or F4 contestant.

22. elevenly

March 2, 2016 at 9:04 AM

Anyone else notice that while Caila was making crying/weeping sounds, sniffling, wrenching her face in pain…her eyes stayed completely dry?
    I don’t think I saw one actual tear.
    I’m not saying she needs to cry…but it felt very theatrical.

23. kdtx

March 2, 2016 at 12:01 PM

When Caila got out of the car to talk more with Ben after she was dumped, she was actually asking “Did you know how you felt about me BEFORE we slept together?” She was making sure he wasn’t being a jerk by waiting until after she’d slept with him to break up with her.

24. sayywhat

March 2, 2016 at 12:24 PM

I’m pretty sure the order of the fantasy suites was Caila, Jojo, and then Lauren. Ashley I wrote in her cosmo recap this week: “The last date of the week is with JoJo, but for the sake of accuracy (I know, it’s reality TV but I’m a truth-bringer), JoJo’s date came in the middle of this week’s outings IRL, and this episode’s edit pieced things together out of sequence.” If the storyline that Ben loved two women was planned out early on, as RS speculates, then it wouldn’t really matter that he (obviously) loves Lauren more – he could’ve told Jojo first.

25. hurricaneemily

March 2, 2016 at 6:01 PM

Hey, Steve.

Great recap as always.

You can check out my recap for episode 9 here: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-2016-episode-9-recap/