The Bachelorette 12 - JoJo

The “Bachelorette” Episode 4 Recap Incl Next Episode Update, & Two Chad’s: The Marine & The Ex-Boyfriend

Photo Credit: Hollywood Reporter

-Nemacolin Woodlands Resort in PA is the first stop on their journey outside of CA and, well, it’s a resort out in the hills of PA. Can’t say there was really much out there that blew anyone away, was there? The resort itself I heard is 5 star. But in terms of the dates they showed there? Uhhhhh, did Nemacolin really get their ad money worth? It showed nothing in terms of the activities you can do in the area. But whatever. Now another 7 million people who may not have heard of the place can say they have. The first date card arrives and it’s for Luke. “I like you very mush.” How creative. We see them basically in something like the Iditarod but the dogs are running them through the woods of PA, instead of for miles and miles in the snow. How long before PETA contacts ABC and says the treatment of dogs in this episode was unethical? Especially since they easily could’ve just taken some bikes, or hell, maybe just walked to their destination, which was a wood fire hot tub. ABC ain’t foolin’ around with JoJo, are they? 20 minutes ago she was in a bikini at the pool party, and here we are back in a bikini again. I’m not complaining.

-In the hot tub, JoJo tells Luke how much fun she had that day, when literally we saw about 12 seconds of their date, and it was just dogs pulling them as they sat on some dune buggy like seat. I guess we missed out on how much “fun” that actually was. Whatever. Someone might wanna ask those dogs how much “fun” that was for them to unnecessarily be pulling three humans (there was some dude standing up behind them) in the middle of the woods just so they could get to a hot tub and make out. Anyone? Anyone? Someone go stick a microphone in Spitz’s mouth and get his thoughts on the sled pulling. My 7th grade teacher will be proud I just got a “Call of the Wild” reference in there. I’m sure he’s none too thrilled to do that. Sure, all his boys could watch him on TV last night, but I highly doubt that was worth it. We know the “Bachelorette” is not a popular show among the Husky demographic. The numbers speak for themselves.

-So these two jump in the outdoor hot tub and conveniently picks up her up to slowly put her in the water since the tub was scorching hot. I say conveniently because Luke was slick enough to know, “Hey, if I pick her up here, I can cup her ass the whole time for America to see.” Which is exactly all we were looking at. Well, at least I was. You ain’t foolin’ anybody Luke. I see what you were doing there. He then tells her he kinda feels at home out there since he grew up on a ranch, and he’s used to the peace and quiet outdoors. Yeah, but are you used to grabbing women’s asses in bikini’s on national television? That was probably a first for you. Hey, I have a question? Why didn’t you invite any of the dogs into the hot tub with you? I’m sure after the long, arduous trek through the woods they pulled you through, one of them could’ve used a little relaxation. Guess that was asking too much, huh? Maybe he would’ve invaded your territory? Uh huh. I hear ya’ loud and clear.

-Back at the mansion, since ABC has to fill their necessary “We have to show Chad at least once every five minutes” protocol, we get the guys sitting around and the date card arrives. All of them. Minus Luke who’s on the date. Oh, and Chad, who’s outside chilling in the hot tub because I guess all the other guys have cooties and he doesn’t want to sit with them. He basically tells everyone it’d behoove them to not poke the Chad Bear. I agree. But this is more so a warning for the ladies. Don’t ever poke the Chad Bear. Or look at him. Or walk by him. Or talk to him. Or respond to his Match.com profile. Things could get ugly. Of course, then they show us footage of a bear roaming in the hills making us think it’s right next to Chad when I’m sure it was filmed on a different day in a completely different scene. Again, we never saw them together in the same shot, so you know a bear wasn’t just roaming feet away from Chad and he was fine with that. Although maybe there’s a good chance that bear was a relative of Chad’s who was just checking up on him. 1st cousin? 3rd cousin once removed? A myriad of possibilities.

-Then it was dinner time at the Supper Club for JoJo and Luke. This is where things got deep. And not in a sexual way. JoJo makes it known to him she loves his relaxed confidence and wants to know where he got it from. Luke then goes into a story about how he was recruited to play football at West Point, went into the Marines as a lieutenant, he was responsible for many soldiers lives, he had a close buddy named Jason who was killed in action (you can read about his pal Jason here), aaaaaaannnnnnd scene. Fast forward to late August/early September during an episode of “After Paradise” and the announcement from Chris Harrison saying, “Ladies and gentleman…our next Bachelor…Luke Pell!” Obviously we’re still a ways away from that, and nothing has been decided, but it’s pretty clear he’s a front runner for the gig. As I’ve said since the beginning of the season, knowing that every recent “Bachelor” has finished in the top 4 of their season outside of Jake and Juan Pablo, pretty safe to assume that next season’s will come from there as well. And with that backstory, can’t be too surprised if he gets the gig, can we? Looking like it’s between Chase and Luke. Only issue? Chase needs about 100 shots of adrenalin before they ever make him the “Bachelor” and someone needs to teach Luke how to smile. The guy is so serious all the time.

-Once dinner was over and Luke’s “Bachelor” audition complete, they head over to The Palace where a whole crowd of adoring fans, many of whom were Reality Steve fans as well as evidenced by the amount of pictures being sent to me that night, awaited them and a performance by Dan + Shay. Kristen Baldwin from EW.com described the scene at that concert on Twitter last night as succinct as she could…

C’mon, you all know Dan + Shay. You know, that one band that sings like that one song kinda. They do that thing on stage where they like sing all their hit and stuff. Yeah, them. They performed. And everyone loved it. Well, except Luke who in a crowd of adoring fans, and JoJo by his side kissing her in front of all of America to see, maybe cracked a smile once. Or twice. He needs to lighten up a bit. Maybe wave to the crowd? Pretend like you’re enjoying yourself? C’mon, you need to be camera ready if you’re going to be the next “Bachelor.”

1. anniespeaks

June 8, 2016 at 9:08 AM

I thought these guys underwent psychological testing and multiple interviews. How did Chad get through the process?? I’ve been watching Unreal and understand that one of the producers worked on the series and understands the workings of this show, but can’t believe they would encourage Chad’s behavior to this extent…… Surely Chris and others associated with the show, given all the cameras were monitoring the behavior and would have taken him out sooner. I am sure they encouraged jo jo to drop him on the 2 on 1 and then for ratings keep the other guy to encourage Chad’s anger. Can’t believe they invited him back to BIP except for the ratings follow-up because if because if he is this bad, he’ll be amplified with Evan on BIP. I only hope Evan and Carly meet and have a connection on BIP, she likes his three kids and find a “happily ever after” as guests of the past two seasons.

2. kimmyfromdablock

June 8, 2016 at 10:34 AM

I am perplexed as to why JoJo picks Jordan. I do not find him attractive, his hair style is hella stupid and so far, his personality seems underwhelming. She has what seems like some other more decent choices….so I can’t buy he was the lesser of evils.

3. crushonspivey

June 8, 2016 at 11:39 AM

No Chad equals a really crappy show this year, which explains how awful the producers are now running this show. Imma tap out now. A show about “love” has become a farce, and as I hate reality TV, now that this has become such a joke, I’m done. Fleiss can suck it.

TIme to crash and burn this heaping pile of trash show. It has run its course ABC. Kill it.

4. ashleigh11

June 8, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Chad is the nemesis of self-purported ‘nice guys’ everywhere. When they feel safe enough to ride his nuts (ie on a TV show with security or from behind a computer screen), they’ll do so. And do it hard. If you look back at every episode, you’ll see that he didn’t really do anything overtly wrong (similar to how Olivia and Jubilee were targeted and picked apart by the house-gang last season). The hate came from the fact that he eats too much meat, works out too much, and wasn’t into ‘fangirling’ over JoJo and immediately proclaiming her to be ‘the one’). Then it spiralled and it was all about ‘poking the bear’ and throwing rocks and then playing victim when they got a rock chucked back at them. The bizarre over-focus on Chad has made most of these guys extremely unattractive, especially Evan and Alex. Luke seems to be the classiest and most confident guy there, so I’m hoping he’s the next bachelor. I don’t see the appeal with Jordan, other than his quasi-fame. And yes, totally happy Chad is going on BIP. He’s a lot of fun to watch and JoJo’s season is about to get a whole lot more boring without him.

June 8, 2016 at 12:13 PM

@ashleigh: You brought up an interesting point about Jubilee. I think Olivia was just on her own planet, and not quite the same. But with Jubilee, like with Chad, you have people who are over sensitive to criticism & can be pushed into a massive overreaction. It’s on them that they’re so thin skinned & so easily lash out in over the top ways. But you have a point that the producers figured out that they would overreact and the proceeded to ramp up the pressure on them. Find the dynamite, light the fuse, record the results.

I recall Chad saying that the guy who looks like Hitler had been following him around and irritating him. Maybe that’s an excuse. Or maybe the producers picked the guy that would irritate Chad the most (a smaller, weaker unconfident looking guy) & goaded him into irritating Chad… maybe, over the course of a day, having him interact with Chad and annoy him 3-4 times. So, Chad starts thinking that the guy is out to get him…. and of course, overreacts. I could easily see that happening.

It also did seem like different guys took turns calling Chad out whenever he joined the full group. I could see Chad trying to avoid that situation, but there is no way he could do that entirely. Then Jordan, Grant or Alex would call him out and….. Chad overreacts and threatens people again. Chad made this all really easy for the producers. I think with Jubilee they wore her down over several weeks, possibly planting thoughts in her head about her not fitting in with the pretty white blonde girls, until she finally cracked. Chad took no such effort.

June 8, 2016 at 12:20 PM

@kimmy: it’s interesting that you said that about Jordan Rajahs. I figured his appeal must just be something a guy wasn’t going to see. You said exactly what I thought. To me, the guy had close to zero appeal. He seemed like the classic poser/player who hasn’t got much, but if he smiles just right at a liquored up girl, he cashes in pretty easily. A one trick pony.

I was able to see far more clearly the appeal of Lauren B to Smiling Pete along with their blatantly obvious infatuation (the whole house picked up on it). But I’m really not seeing it with Rajahs. RS led us to believe that this was the Rajahs show from Day 1, and repeated it again like it’s really obvious already. I kind of don’t see that right yet. Certainly not in the same way last season was the Lauren B show from Day 1.

7. 91hn

June 8, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Steve, I graduated highschool in 2003 a year before the time of Grant’s story that included texting. Texting was relatively new, but I know I had been texting for at LEAST 2-3 years prior to this, and it was heavily used among my peers as a way to communicate. If plans were being made between high schoolers at this time, we (#1) texted or (#2) use AOL chat, which I remember spending hours on each day. I definitely don’t think that your argument holds up at that time.

Either mean of communicating could have been a viable explanation for referring to as text. Do I think half of the stories were most likely exaggerated? Yes, but that is the nature of stand up comedy.

8. cjscjs711

June 8, 2016 at 3:52 PM

From what has been exposed about both JoJo (and her ex) and Jordan (via the pre-season interview and anecdotes), I’m not the least bit surprised that she chose Jordan. He is about as serious about finding a fiancee as she is. That is, neither is. Remember Chris’s season? He chose Whitney instead of Becca? Whitney who seemed dead serious about wanting to get married, versus Becca, who just as clearly was visibly uninterested in Chris (possibly uninterested in men also). Instead Chris chose Whitney and broke her heart. Whereas had he chosen Becca, Becca might have been relieved when the showmance went nowhere.

So if the stories about JoJo and Chad the ex are true, JoJo doesn’t need Steve or anybody else warning her about what a cad Jordan is. Or for anyone to tell him JoJo is there for “the wrong reasons.”

Again, I just don’t get why Steve is on this Chad Johnson Witch Hunt. Calling Chad out for calling Jordan a loser or failed football player to his face on national TV – Steve did the same thing from the start. In his column. Twice at least. This isn’t national TV, it’s only the worldwide web – but it’s the only platform Steve has. Then further, to cast aspersions on Chad’s military discharge and go so far as to ask people to try to look up dirt on this guy’s military career. Why? Pure douchbaggery, Steve. The guy Chad likes to brag about himself. I’m sure he had to work very hard with himself to get through the Marines with an honorable discharge. Noteworthy accomplishment for anybody, but especially a big accomplishment for him considering his volatile personality.

The iconoclastic personalities are interesting to me. They stand out from the crowd. Tony on Kaitlyn’s season, was another. By comparison, they make the remaining guys stand out as much as sheep in a herd. Kelsey. Ashley S.

I’d probably get bored pretty soon, too, and stop watching except I like reading the blogs. Main reason.

9. teamchad

June 8, 2016 at 4:53 PM

I see Chad more along the lines of misunderstood and will never fit into this dumbass format Jubilee than evil incarnate. But to your unbelievably gross suggestion that Chad was not really honorably discharged and that people should investigate, what in the everloving f*ck? Do you not see that this makes you a horrible person, far more horrible than anything Chad did when confronted with a bunch of floppy-haired ninnies. Up with Chad. Down with you and your bs.

10. click

June 8, 2016 at 8:00 PM

The only way for Chad to redeem himself is to admit that he’s taking steroids….

11. click

June 8, 2016 at 8:13 PM

Steve, you missed out on Chad’s mocking the show! The guy DOES have a sense of humor.
    When he came back and laid down with Alex he imitated Kelly and said; I don’t appreciate what you did, or something to that effect.
    He even smirked at his cleverness!

June 9, 2016 at 6:57 AM

I don’t think there’s much doubt that Chad has a real human being inside there. But, he’s obviously damaged goods. If he’s damaged because he’s roid raging, that’s not too sympathetic. If he’s damaged because of PTSD (as a Marine, was he serving in Iraq or Afghanistan?) and/or his mother’s recent death, we might be more sympathetic. Chad might not be too unusual for a guy coming back from a war zone & trying to fit in with non military types in normal life situations. I have no idea when or where he served, so this is obviously speculation.

I don’t know his military background, but as a guy who’s in the gym every day, he does look to me like a guy that’s roiding. That’s at least 1/2 the problem. Every guy I know that’s gotten off roids has said they stopped doing them because they changed their personality for the worse…. and they caught a lot of flack from friends/family for the way they were acting. Every guy who IS roiding denies it. Denial becomes a reflex.

June 9, 2016 at 7:04 AM

@teamchad: On top of the “investigation” of Chad’s military career (which, I agree, is ridiculous) I loved the term “floppy haired ninnies”. Perfect. WTH, right? AND JoJo seems to love that look. I guess I’m from the wrong decade…. although I have to admit to some awful 80s style hair styles myself. Fortunately there are no surviving pictures.

14. samkwa

June 9, 2016 at 7:38 AM

All the support for Chad on SM is so silly to me. Obviously a lot of the “confrontations” were producer driven. These “whiny” guys were following directions to sit around and discuss the drama. I’m sure Evan was pushed to “defend himself” from the unstable Chad just as Chad was manipulated to showcase his temper. Personally, I liked the way Derek visibly perplexed Chad with his clever replies. It’s too bad Alex and Evan weren’t quick enough to make him look like a fool the way Derek did.

15. purplerayne

June 9, 2016 at 12:32 PM

Wow, RS obsession with hating on Chad is a bit odd. Maybe it brings back awful memories of being bullied by someone like him in school? Otherwise makes no sense.

FYI Chad was the one who first mentioned Grant looked like Squidward (he said a spongebob character). He might have anger issues (due to PTSD or drugs) or he might be hamming it up for the cameras, but you cant deny that his observations were always on point. And thank you Rob for calling out steve on his hypocrisy! He’s been making fun of Jordan this entire time for his failed football career, yet when Chad does it, Chad is the douche???? WTF.

16. canon

June 9, 2016 at 6:12 PM

Hi Steve,

On honorable discharge, it can be for a reason that basically means he didn’t do anything ‘wrong’ per se but they thought it best he not be in the military. So, it could be his aggressive attitude and they wanted him out before anything happened. Ions ago, both my brothers went in the army. The younger of my brothers had a really hard time of it with the getting up early and massive exercise and being told what to do (he has authority figure issues). He lost so much weight (and was small to begin with) that they felt it best if he got out and he was honorably discharged. Yes, while end of term is also honorable discharge, people only tend to use the term when they were discharged before their term is up. So it will be interesting to see if someone comes up with the why he was discharged. It basically means they don’t have any real grounds to make it dishonorable (which you could fight) so they make it honorable so you go away, or there’s a compelling reason it’s just not the right place for you – or your term ended but as I said, that is generally just called “I served in the military’.

17. cjscjs711

June 10, 2016 at 6:32 AM

The responses so far to Steve’s call to dig up dirt on Chad’s military career illustrate why from the very start I thought the call was reprehensible. In the first place, this show reveals contestants in an embarrassing enough light without Steve trying to pile on. And then asking the rest of his readers to pile on! I don’t come here to damage people’s careers with rumors and stories. I come here for DISCUSSION OF THE SHOW. Not to help ruin people’s careers.

Speculating that based on your or your friends’ experience that the people you know don’t brag about their military service is not “Veeerrrrry interesting” to me but really meaningless. Is Chad just like most people? Or is he maybe a little bit of a braggart?

There is a very famous World War I poster showing a serviceman excitedly smiling and holding up and pointing to a sheet of paper with just the words, “HONORABLE DISCHARGE” written on it. The caption below is: “OH BOY! That’s sure worth working for!”

Honorable discharge does NOT mean ‘he didn’t do anything wrong per se but they thought it best he not be in the military.”

“The best type of discharge you can receive is an honorable discharge. This means that you met or exceeded the conduct and performance standards of the military. You’re eligible for most veteran benefits if you receive this discharge. Some benefits actually require an honorable discharge, including” yada yada yada. I’d quote the US Marines page but a Questionnaire popped up every time I tried to copy.

I think Steve really has to give thought to why he’s writing these columns. This country takes military service very very seriously. I can’t think of a single job application I’ve filled out that hasn’t had at least one question regarding military service and discharge. To cast aspersions on someone’s military service by way of innuendo, hearsay, and other speculations with no basis beyond opinion is so beyond the scope of why I read these columns…. And in my mind, just so wrong to try to do to someone.

And merely because you don’t like their TV character.

Steve is not going to get a new personality. But we don’t have to participate in witch hunts.

18. supersparklyday

June 10, 2016 at 3:32 PM

My 1st impression when I read RS’s answer to the poster who explained that ‘Honourably Discharged’ wasn’t a bad thing – was that he didn’t really want to have anybody looking into Chad’s military past, I thought he was covering for the fact that he didn’t really pick up on the ‘honour’ part of it and was just covering – and now look at the controversy!

When comparing two Marines: Alex and Chad – there really shouldn’t be any question that these two are polar-opposites. One is a good guy and the other is ‘roiding out, for sure. I just can’t see the honour on Chad right now. Whereas Alex is a cutie and a real man and stand up guy – he can call me anytime. 😉

19. sleeprgirl

June 10, 2016 at 9:11 PM

Chad’s behavior looked ridiculous and staged. I know I’m expecting too much from whatever is going on in quasi scripted reality tv, but they should have picked a better cast of men. I’m not a fan of many of them. Chase is cute/seemingly successful and Luke has a great military resume, but I find him skinny and needs some botox and less teeth. And what is with these guys who describe their “former” careers. Does that mean they are unemployed now? Why would they cast has-beens? Why would a woman in real estate development want an unemployed man with a weird up-do? Does she think that the brother is going to fund Jordan for life? Doubtful! Has there ever been anyone that has more than their 15 minutes of fame? I’m just curious. I didn’t even watch Chris’s season because I could not comprehend one of those girls moving to the Iowa Farm. It is getting boring. You can only watch so much hair, makeup and wardrobe.