The Bachelorette 12 - JoJo

The “Bachelorette” Episode 5 Recap Incl That Tricky Teaser, the Vegas Party, BIP Cast & Spoilers, & Chad’s Antics

JoJoUruguay
Photo Credit: Twitter

I’ll admit, I do love it when the show makes a gaffe and I can point it out. Yesterday, it wasn’t necessarily the show that did, but whatever happened, it certainly benefitted me. Watching this show from 7-9pm CST, then watching UnREAL right afterwards, I don’t get to typing the column until 10pm CST on Monday nights. It’s a beast and takes me a while. So imagine my pure joy yesterday when a few people emailed me to tell me that Hulu had posted episode 5 yesterday morning. Oh happy happy joy joy. That made my day. So I watched it yesterday morning, wrote a lot of my column yesterday afternoon, and was basically able to sit back and enjoy the show without as much writing during it. Although I use the word “enjoy” loosely. Must’ve been a screw up on Hulu’s part, because not two minutes after I tweeted out I’d seen the episode, it was already taken down. Sorry. Guess I shouldn’t have said anything and they probably wouldn’t have caught it. But hey, at least for one episode, it made my life easier.

I know I mentioned this Thursday, but Tuesday are much higher traffic days so I want to make sure you all see this. I’m having another party in Vegas this year, and you’re all invited. It’s limited availability (we can do about 60 or so), and we’re only 5 weeks out, which is less time than I gave you last year. It’s going to be Friday night July 29th at Mandalay Bay. Essentially exactly what I did last year, except it’s not my birthday this time. Last year we had around 50 people show up, it’s free, there was food, open bar, and the first annual Reality Steve Bachelor Trivia game, where I gave away prizes for first and second place. Same thing this year. Food and open bar and the trivia game will return. Gonna do things the exact same way as last season. If you are interested, you need to email me immediately to get put on the “tentative” list. If you are flying in, once your flight is booked and you show me your flight itinerary, you will be on the “confirmed” list. I do it that way since it’s very easy for someone who lives close who’s driving to say, “Put me on the list, I’m in” then flake at the last minute. And with limited amount of space, I can’t have people cancelling. Last year on the guest list, only 2 people who were confirmed didn’t show, so that was good. I just figure if you’re booking a flight to come, there’s much less chance that you’d flake out on that. If you are in a neighboring state, or are driving, you obviously can still come, but I would just need to see a hotel confirmation. So email me today if interested. In terms of hotel, you don’t have to stay at Mandalay Bay. You can if you want, but it’s not mandatory since you can still get into the hotel and up to my room if you’re not a guest. But if you do want to stay there, I could probably get anyone interested around a 20% discount off their room rate that’s currently running on their site, so let me know.

JoJo’s blog for People.com is now posted and the most interesting thing she says talks about her ex-boyfriend Chad, and the drama his interview with In Touch caused. Here’s what she wrote:

“Chad and I dated for years, and we shared so many good times. We will always have so many memories together. But we broke up. And that break up was hard on both of us. I fought so hard to let go, and it wasn’t until I met Ben last season that I was truly able to do that. But as you saw when I returned home to Dallas last season for my hometown date, Chad couldn’t let go.

It was no different when I came home after the season. He was hurting, and it pained me for him to be in so much pain. I did spend time with him, but it was never with any intention of rekindling a romantic relationship. When I left for The Bachelorette, I thought we were in a good place. I thought we were back to being just friends. But seeing that article, reading that he questioned my intentions for doing this, it just hurt me so much.”

So she is admitting that when she got back from Ben’s filming, “I did spend time with him.” See, that’s where the waters get muddied. Considering how many past contestants have gotten back with their exes after filming, is it really that hard to believe that maybe, at some point, JoJo and Chad were messing around? Of course not. Now, maybe JoJo didn’t have any intention of it rekindling anything, but do you think she made that known? I’m really supposed to believe that these two with a history like they had, spent time together and nothing happened? C’mon. It’s just not believable to me. Their exes. Ex sex happens all the time. A lot of people do it. And considering these two were on and off for years, it’s really hard for me to hear her admit they absolutely spent time together, yet, nothing EVER happened. Just not believable to me. But hey, consider me a skeptic.

Let talk about that final rose ceremony clip from last night where the editors did a hell of a job pulling the wool over people’s eyes. Here it is in case you missed it:

Now if you watch it straight through without any dissection, it seems like the guy she dumps did her wrong. But a closer look reveals how much of that was voiceover work and stuff spliced in versus what we actually saw coming out of JoJo’s mouth. Big difference. Let me show you:

The beginning is a shot of her walking on the beach is her voiceover saying, “Coming into this, I wanted to find love.” Then we cut to an ITM and see JoJo saying the word “and I found it with a man,”, but THEN it cuts away and goes to a voiceover of her saying, “that will not be able to love me the way that I said I wanted to be loved.”. So yeah, that part is spliced together to make you think the guy she’s found can’t reciprocate those feelings. But that isn’t the case.

Then following that, we get this sequence: When she’s on the altar looking at the guy (Robby), we see her say to him, “I fell in love w you.” Then the camera pans away and she says “and I still love you.” Then back on her face you see her say “but what you did to me”, then they pan away AGAIN and that’s when we hear “it’s not right. But I wanted you to know. It’s really hard for me to not accept”, then we are FINALLY back to her face and see her saying “this love.”. So yeah, basically a bunch of smoke and mirrors to try and screw with you, but basically she’s upset about dumping Robby because she says she loves him, cries hysterically, but then obviously gets over it before Jordan arrives. They just never show any of that part.

All you need to do is watch this promo clip UnREAL released a month ago to see how simple it is for the editing room to create a whole different story that isn’t there:

Also, in next week’s episode preview, we see this shot of the Argentina rose ceremony:

ArgentinaRC

As you can see, there are only 6 guys standing there. Derek was eliminated on his 2-on-1 date, and Wells isn’t in that picture, meaning he was either let go on his 1-on-1, or left at some other point in the episode. Bottom line is those 6 guys standing at next week’s rose ceremony all make it to the following episode, which is episode 7. So none of those guys get eliminated, and JoJo walking out and saying “she can’t give him a rose” is all manufactured drama since we know all them advance.

Lets talk “Bachelor in Paradise.” As you saw in my tweets yesterday, your original cast is now complete.

Girls:

Evan Bass
Vinny Venteria
Chad Johnson
Daniel Maguire
Jared Haibon
Nick Viall

Filming started last Wednesday, June 8th. It should wrap up the beginning of next week. Other names that you will see this season appear that I can report on now are: Josh Murray, Caila Quinn, Christian Bishop, Wells Adams, Jennifer Saviano, and Ashley Iaconetti. There are three other contestants from past seasons as well who arrive that if I just gave you their faces, I’m pretty sure 99.9% of you wouldn’t even remember their names. And if just gave you their names, I don’t think you’d be able to recall their faces or what season they were on. But in any case, those will all be revealed in due time when I post all the spoilers once filming is over.

Here are some mini spoilers in terms of those names that I gave you. These people are all home: Sarah, Jubilee, Vinny, Chad, and Christian. More will be home shortly I assume.

Now, lets talk about Chad. First, about his “Bachelor in Paradise” appearance. As we know he’s already home. Well, that’s because on the very first night, he got belligerent drunk, told people they could “suck Bachelor d**k,” got into an argument with Lace, called her the Cee You Next Tuesday word, and was basically out of control. So the next morning Chris Harrison kicked him off the show. But I’m sure that was all the editing, right Chad? I know he went on Kimmel last night and blamed the editing, but I’m not sure how he’s gonna blame the editing for his drunken behavior getting kicked off “Bachelor In Paradise” after one night.

As for yesterday’s big news regarding Chad, in case you missed it (and pretty impossible since every major outlet is covering it now), he spent time with Robby’s ex-girlfriend Hope Higginbotham over the weekend in Tulsa and decided to post this Instagram about it.

Here’s what I can tell you from what I know. He’s lying when he said on Kimmel and alluded to they randomly ran into each other while traveling. That’s complete BS. This was planned. Not sure how long they’ve been talking, but one of them contacted the other, they spoke, and next thing you know, she’s in Tulsa making out with him. I have no idea if they’re dating, if he’s trolling her, if she’s trolling him, whatever. There are a lot of conclusions one can draw but nothing is definitive now other than they definitely planned to meet up. But it certainly calls into question both of their character. Does it change the fact that Robby was in talks with the show while still in a relationship with Hope? No. Because that happened as well. But that was 5 months ago. Not a smart decision on her part to get involved with this guy, and who knows what these two are up to, but just wanted to lay out for you what I know. Good luck you two. You’ll need it.

So with that said, here’s today’s poll question:

Page 1 of 612345...Last »

June 21, 2016 at 10:22 AM

I’m sure the show will rally the troops to try to put together some semblance of a love story. But, I’m really not feeling it with Rajahs and JoJo. That little attempt to nail Rajahs for cheating was an epic fail. He was obviously lying. So, do I believe that two good looking people have the warmies for one another & want to knock boots in the fantasy suite? Absolutely.

I just don’t see anything more there. Not that there’s really usually anything there, but the show is also usually good about making it look like a possibility. Like I said, I’m sure the show will pull together a marginally believable love story ending. But, I think it’s more transparent than usual this time. I just have not seen the “Jordan and JoJo show” that RS has been talking about. To me, their interactions seem forced, especially on his end. It’s like he’s reading off a script, which he may well be doing. That “I’m falling in love with you” line couldn’t have been more scripted and couldn’t have been less believable. I don’t think JoJo really bought it either. I don’t see any real sign that there is any great chemistry between the two. Maybe it’s just me. I saw it with Lauren and Ben. Not here with these two.

2. jlal

June 21, 2016 at 10:53 AM

Steve why do you think just because she said they spent time together and were friends, that translates into no sex? Of course they most likely had ex-sex. That does not mean they were back together or she wanted to get back together. Maybe the ex Chad thought they were back, because of the ex-sex – his bad. I have been there before myself when an ex thought we were back, just because we had sex. She went to him for comfort after Ben. Unless there is proof she lied to him, I don’t see an issue.

3. jlal

June 21, 2016 at 11:03 AM

Also, I don’t care what she said to ex Chad or didn’t say. He talking to a tabloid trashing her trumps anything she may or may not have said to him. I’m on JoJo’s side on this issue.

June 21, 2016 at 11:38 AM

@jlal: I think the narrative that RS is laying out is that both of them dumped “relationships” that the other person thought was going somewhere & then were cut loose (and lied to in some cases) so that they could go on the show. Then at least Rajahs was possibly trolling a dating site since he got home.

Overall, the point is that it’s more obvious than normal that these two went on the show for their own brand enhancement & weren’t taking the process seriously AT ALL. That’s not a big surprise to readers of this site, but to the crazies that are buying the “love story” angle that the show is selling, it’s pretty big stuff. I’m with you, though. Who cares what they were or were not doing. It’s just an entertainment show. But a lot of people don’t look at it that way. They’re rooting for a love story & when that gets derailed, they get cranky. When stuff like this comes out, JoJo and Rajahs get major heat on social media for interrupting their fantasies.

As for “ex-sex”, I’ll go into Dr. rob22 mode. When you have ex-sex, there is a pretty good chance that one of the couple will take it more seriously than the other. That sets false expectations and just makes the whole situation worse. If you really want to be rid of a relationship, ex-sex is not the way to go about it. It’s not just a courtesy romp for old times sake. You just invite the other person to become a cling-on that can’t be easily removed. Did that once in my college years. I didn’t think it would hurt. It ended up kicking up major drama including my ex and all of her friends all against me & actively trying to hurt me. My friends just laughed at me for my stupidity. “Hey, it was just one time!” meant nothing to anyone. Lesson learned…. the HARD way.

5. cd12

June 21, 2016 at 11:47 AM

Big deal if a bitter ex goes to a tabloid. Privacy seems overrated in today’s world of social media and keeping quiet doesn’t make one a saint. That was desperate & immature of Jojo, which is how she comes across on the show for picking Jordan.

6. shouldbeworking

June 21, 2016 at 12:13 PM

I can’t believe she fell for that phony baloney with Jordan. I’m no body language expert, but you could totally tell he was lying. If she didn’t pick up on that then the reason she dates the wrong type of men is obvious. Bring on Bachelor in Paradise! I’m so done with this already. And that little weasel Alex needs to shut up. He has little big man syndrome for sure.

7. benlund4

June 21, 2016 at 12:29 PM

Anyone notice the blue blazer Robby is wearing on June 2nd on Instagram? Look familiar? Also could these photos with his family have been taken at the final rose ceremony and not at the country club as indicated… I think he blew it with the blazer

8. crushonspivey

June 21, 2016 at 12:52 PM

Chad and Hope were not trolling us or each other. They were totally trolling Robby. And it was an epic takedown at that. Robby just got punked so hard. So so hard. They both did it to crap on him publically, and it was nothing more than that. Beautifully played. Chad keeps winning this game even though he’s off the show. And neither of thier character took a hit. Only Robby’s ego.

I’d actually love it if Chad has one of these each week with an ex of a guy on the show. Especially the ones that played their exes before coming on. Maybe we can see Chad with Brittany Farrar next. Would be hilarious.

June 21, 2016 at 1:19 PM

@crushonspivey: You hit it. Chad is shooting for Omarosa level notoriety. All time villain level. It might work. He’s certainly offensive enough & obviously is willing to do whatever to get attention. It just depends on whether people watch his act enough to keep getting him invites for gigs. Being the guy that people love to hate certainly isn’t my cup of tea & I’ve already lost interest in both of them (her, long ago). But others love this kind of act.

10. purplerayne

June 21, 2016 at 4:05 PM

A few ramblings:

@Crushonspivey- EX-actly (sorry, couldnt’ help it) :) Chad and Hope decided to have some fun at Robby’s expense. I dont blame her. I doubt either her or Chad were even intimate, that kiss looks hella staged. And yes, I hope he eventually teams up with Brittany for a big F you to Jordan. That would be brilliant.

Jojo said “who is this” when she saw the cover of InTouch magazine, THEN producers said open it up. She didnt pretend not to know it was her.

Exes can hang out with each other for comfort without sex. I myself have done it, so have other friends. Every couple has a different grieving process when it comes to cementing their relationship’s end. (Not saying JoJo didnt have sex. Only pointing out its unrealistic).

Wait, why were the guys picking on Derek? What a lame way to manufacture drama. Leave the guy alone.

The way Jordan reacted to JoJo’s cheating question was VERY telling, he got defensive instead of concerned or pensive or surprised. To me, it was shades of Andi and Josh all over again. That guy would always be smiley and go lucky, but when confronted with a question he didnt like, he would turn sour. He got dark very quickly. Remember the lie detector date? Yeah.

11. thisshow

June 21, 2016 at 4:44 PM

They are Andi and Josh 2.0. Even their voices are quite similar.

12. supersparklyday

June 21, 2016 at 5:36 PM

This season is totally the JoJo & Jordan show. Giving him the 1st date in Uruguay made is SO obvious. Their body language shows how into each other they are/were. If you watch closely, Jojo leans into him when they are sitting and talking, whereas she doesn’t with any of the others. Even if I’d never come here and read the spoiler, it’d still be super’obvious who she picks. It’s so obvious,in fact, that I’m already a little bored. In fact, this was the worst travel dates I have ever seen. The best thing they showed about Uruguay was the hotel! Boring otherwise. They better start having some interesting things to do soon!

I am now on the Chase, Wells or Alex for next Bachelor, not Robb or Luke,please no.

13. cjscjs711

June 21, 2016 at 7:33 PM

What is it with the “equally at fault” question? What have either of them done wrong? They’re both single and unattached. Completely agree w/crushonspivey. Pwning Robby. And I, too, think it would be hilarious if he dated Jordan’s ex, Grant’s exes, however many else there are who dumped their girlfriends to be on the show.

The expression, “we happened to meet” is shorthand. It means, “I’m skipping the details because you don’t need to know, I don’t need to tell you” either because it’s boring, too personal, or not important. We don’t need to know how they got together. He had very nice things to say about her.

Really interesting the way they wrote the tabloid into the storyline as never before. I think they learned from a few years ago that having a lot of actors and models on who were patently there to further their brand turned off a lot of viewers. Then it seemed they were having a lot of ‘ordinary people’ jobs on and it got a little boring and ‘too nice.’ My take is they are seeing the pendulum swinging back the other way now and my prediction is you’ll see – it’s hard to tell though. Why would you have thought a farmer in Iowa who owned a million-dollar agricultural business would dream to chuck it for Hollywood.

Steve, you say you work hard on your blogs but you really need to have someone proofread them before posting. I’m constantly having to re-read sentences to get the sense. “Their exes.” Or did you mean, “They’re exes?” Or “Derek balled” or “Derek bawled”? On the West Coast “balling” means something very different from “bawling.”

Speaking of Coasts, why “Rajah”? That’s an East Coast pronunciation of “Rodgers” and Jordan is from the West Coast. Aaron Rajahs? That is definitely NOT a Midwestern or native Wisconsin pronunciation of “Rodgers,” either.

14. cjscjs711

June 21, 2016 at 7:42 PM

Steve, also don’t see where you think Chad blamed it on editing. I thought he owned his behavior pretty well. Kimmel: “So you acted like a jerk and so now everyone thinks you’re a despicable jerk!” Chad: shrugged and said, “Yeah, I guess I’m pretty good at it.” Or, “At the end of the day, it is a show. And we try to be ourselves and we try to be who we are, but at the same time, whoever you are is amplified up about a million times.” A lot like so many other people have said. I don’t see the lying. I don’t know the guy Chad either, so I’m not defending him; I just don’t see the lying.

15. jlal

June 22, 2016 at 6:10 AM

cd12 – It is a big deal when someone with whom you had a long term serious relationship sells you out to the tabloids. Ex Chad was not just someone Jojo hooked up with. Keeping quiet and not selling out someone you professed to be in love with for years, may not make you a saint, but it certainly shows you have some measure of integrity. Also, what was desperate and immature of Jojo?

June 22, 2016 at 6:59 AM

cjscjs: The whole “Rajahs” thing is just referring to Aaron Rogers State Farm commercial and the Cheesehead who keeps screaming “Rajahs!” repeatedly & is a regular on several of the commercials. Aaron and Jordan Rogers grew up in Northern California & so have no MW accent. I was just going for the Cheesehead’s pronunciation on the commercial, which probably has nothing to do with any regional accent. He’s just some loud, crazy looking actor on the commercial to lend comedic effect. I kinda figured not everyone would get it, but I went for it anyway. The commercials are almost ubiquitous, but not quite.

17. monkeydo

June 22, 2016 at 4:45 PM

I like Steve’s spoilers but his website sucks ass! Too many pop ups and it freezes my computer.

18. amr214

June 23, 2016 at 1:49 PM

@cd12: Hi Chad Rook-tool! (dumb name/close enough.)  This is obviously you or some kiss*ss friend. I know that you’re ALL about this site & thirsty as hell. Besides, who else would have any motive/desire to (try to) JUSTIFY selling out a longtime ex like that?  Especially an ex that *you* cheated on… and who actually tolerated/forgave you for it?!

Shameful,dude.

(The fact that Joelle is 13 years your junior–and was barely 21 when you started dating/”playing” her–only *adds* to the douche factor here.)

Were you really that hard up for $$, Chad?  Or was your blinding jealousy over her growing fame all that it took?

It was a weak, mean-spirited, classless, D*CK move that revealed EXACTLY who you are, Chad. Please stop embarrassing yourself (and your friends/family/co-workers) by trying to justify it.