Bachelor in Paradise 3

“Reader Emails,” Robby’s New Teeth, and Jordan Gets Hired

BIPlogo2
Photo Credit: ABC

So with the next 6 weeks dedicated to “Bachelor in Paradise” stuff, the schedule remains the same: Tuesday’s will be a recap of Monday’s 2 hr episode, Wednesday will have a shorter recap of Tuesday night’s 1 hr show & 1 hr “After Paradise” along with “Reader Emails,” Thursday will remain “Dr. Reality Steve” (we’re short right now so get your emails in for tomorrow), and then Thursday night will be your live video chat. After taking last week off for being out of town, it returns tomorrow night. Today will be mostly just “Reader Emails” and updates in “Bachelorette” land, since there was some news yesterday on some fronts. I’ll give a few thoughts on BIP, but really, last night wasn’t much. Intro videos, entrances, and people just meeting each other took up the whole first hour. There really isn’t a whole hell of a lot to recap. Once we get into next week, there’ll be more dates and more to actually go over. However, if you haven’t checked the site since July 11th when I posted the BIP BIP episode-by-episode spoilers, you can go check them out.

One thing that I tweeted about Monday night but totally forgot to mention in yesterday’s column was the fact that Robby seemed to have new teeth on the ATFR. I mean, I have two eyes. It was clear as day he did, but it’s not like addressed them. Well that all changed yesterday when obviously Robby Hayes, the man who couldn’t possibly pass up an endorsement opportunity, was part of this video from Smile Stylist in Ponte Vedra, FL which showed his “smile transformation.” Guess we have our “official” confirmation he got himself some new chompers while the show was airing. This guy will shill for anything at this point. It’s kinda funny what this show has turned him into.

I’m sure you saw yesterday that ESPN officially released a statement announcing that Jordan has been hired by the SEC Network to work on their studio show, SEC Now. This was rumored months ago, but since he was still on the show, they couldn’t announce anything. For those unfamiliar, SEC Now their studios are in Charlotte, North Carolina. So if Jordan is going to be part of their Saturday team (which I’m assuming is when they need him once college football starts), that means Jordan will be out of town every weekend for the next four months starting Aug. 23rd. It’s not like he gets on a plane Saturday morning, does a show, and flies back that night either. This is ESPN. There’ll be production meetings on Friday and I’m guessing he doesn’t leave til Sunday. Sooooo yeah, he got exactly what he wanted out of the “Bachelorette” – a job, and free weekends out of town. It’s working out just like he planned.

Yesterday I appeared on the Here to Make Friends podcast that you can check out by clicking the link. More “Bachelorette” talk obviously and I give more thoughts on the JoJo/Jordan relationship.

As for BIP, the one thing I will say is at least this show makes fun of itself moreso than it does on the “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette.” All the stuff with the opening credits, the crabs, the quick shots of animals, etc. That’s what makes this show easier to digest. Granted, the Chad stuff overloaded last night’s episode and they glorified his horrible behavior, but that’s to be expected. I love how upset they got at him for what he did, yet you know when it was all going down, producers were laughing behind the scenes and knew it’d be train wreck TV. There’s really nothing more to say about how he acted. Pretty self explanatory. Now, I fully expect Chad to make the media rounds again today, not apologize for any of his behavior, blame everything on everyone else, and say that he was just having a good time. That’s what he does and the media is enabling him. The guy has issues, whether he wants to admit it or not and play this whole “I’m just playing a character on TV.” I call BS. He’s out of control. Yet, I’m sure we’ll see him on “Paradise” again next season as they give him another chance. No doubt.

I said I was going to upload the Trivia Contest from this past Friday night onto my YouTube Channel, and completely forgot. I will do it today so anyone that wants to watch it can.

1. kimmyfromdablock

August 3, 2016 at 8:51 AM

BIP is painful to watch and I’m always glad when it’s over since I feel oddly compelled to watch. All that has changed.

I’m as cynical as all of RS’ readers, but last night with Chad’s comments to Sarah, put me over the edge.

I deleted the season off my TiVo and went to bed shaking my head more than ever at ABC for getting into bed with this loser all for the sake of entertainment — now at someone else’s expense.

You can also throw Daniel in the mix. What a box of rocks he is.

2. jlal

August 3, 2016 at 9:09 AM

I agree Kimmy, ABC airing Chad’s offensive comments to Sarah was way too low. Chad has serious emotional issues and needs help. It is not funny or amusing to watch someone bully someone else. Daniel on the other hand is just an idiot. A not real bright, shallow, self-involved, chauvinist. They both think way to highly of themselves for no reason that I can see; ugly is ugly no matter the package.

3. crushonspivey

August 3, 2016 at 10:08 AM

kimmy and jlal, the thing you guys are ignoring is that this is a very much scripted show. They might as well call it Bachelor Shore or Bachelor Hills. It is every bit as fake as Jersey Shore or Laguna Hills was. So Chad was just playing his role, and reciting his lines. And it is very obvious. Just call Chad “The Situation”.

The show was better when it was Bachelor Pad. Was less fake. Was still fun and made fun of contestants, but at least had a real component to it.

4. purplerayne

August 3, 2016 at 10:30 AM

ABC’s low blow was inserting Chad’s offensive comments in a voice over, making it appear he said them to the group/Sarah.And then to show his confessional from the following morning. It was clear from social media that Sarah (and others) had no clue he made fun of her physical appearance. WTF. That was just mean.

I found myself REALLY liking Nick. I dont care that he wants fame and is now a wanna be model. He comes off level headed and charming. (wonder how Andi feels watching this show).

5. justadumb1onde

August 3, 2016 at 10:34 AM

So I went on a rant, on the BIP page, about the blatant disregard of ethical behavior exhibited by BIP and Chris Harrison in ignoring the obvious mental health issues Chad is facing. Being the “Reality TV Guru” that you are, Steve, how real was Chad’s out of control behavior? My assessment is that it was pretty real considering he is not an award-winning actor!

Does the show (and all of those affiliated with it), as well as the network, have no obligation to at least attempt to help this guy? He is clearly in meltdown mode. If there are known and obvious mental health issues with one of the contestants (Bachelorette) or “participants” (BIP), and the show perpetuates the problem (environment, alcohol, triggers, etc.) that the show could be held legally liable in the event of any up-coming disaster this guy may experience/impose on others (suicide, homicide–he sure talks about it a lot, domestic violence, just to name a few).

I feel like episodes of “UnREAL,” such as the woman’s suicide, the police shooting, etc., could actually come to fruition on one of the above mentioned shows at this point. Where does the liability lie? The content has become concerning!!

6. vessel

August 3, 2016 at 11:41 AM

I don’t understand people continually calling these shows “scripted”. Heavily edited and manipulated, for sure, but aside from possibly taking cues from producers and asking certain leading questions they want you to ask there is no script. Chad was 3 sheets to the wind drunk out of his mind. He could barely speak, much less form coherent thoughts. He wasn’t reciting lines from any script. He and Daniel are just stupid, and basically obnoxious as$holes. Hopefully someday they’ll have the appropriate amount of embarrassment that they ought to be feeling now.

7. crushonspivey

August 3, 2016 at 2:23 PM

vessel, by scripted it means they are working off a general overview script but not word for word dialogue. The scene is set for them, the overview of conversations, what they want them to discuss. Then they add booze and throw in some twists. And even do reshoots.

Lauren Conrad basically admitted this was how they did “The Hills” today, and is the model for basically all other reality TV as well.

8. cjscjs711

August 3, 2016 at 3:51 PM

I think the word, “scripted” has become the catch-all word for the manipulations perpetuated on “reality shows.” They are not scripted in the traditional sense of having a typed script that the actors take home, memorize, and deliver in multiple takes with direction from a director. But, we know scenes are not as ‘organic’ as they are made to appear to the audience. We know contestants are manipulated, coaxed, coached, staged; not to mention the out of place voiceovers that are mixed and matched with different clips. Sharleen Joynt has said that even the “girl chats” are staged – that is, planned and set up by producers. Everyone pretty much agrees that alcohol is used to the fullest extent possible in drawing out whacky and other ‘out of character’ behavior.

Is it fair for someone, captured on TV while drunk, to later say, “That’s not the way I am at all.”? I know I can recall many occasions when someone I know has behaved extremely differently when drunk – almost like a different person. I think people do bear responsibility when they know they do not handle alcohol well, yet they put themselves in a position in which they know in advance there will be free-flowing alcohol. Anyone who’s seen even one episode by this franchise MUST know there is alcohol flowing – lots of it.

So—- when people say, “That’s not the real me,” should they be saying, “Yes that is me. That’s exactly how I am, at any time, under any circumstances”? I would say “No” to the latter.

I haven’t watched yesterday’s BIP yet, but it sounds like Chad either overplayed or over-drank.

Further, given all the manipulations, I think we have to be very careful about parsing out our own medical or psychiatric diagnoses. In 1964, professional psychiatrists tried to do it with Barry Goldwater, psychoanalyze him from TV and news clips (I was reading about this in an article about why psychiatrists are reluctant to comment on Trump). Their analyses were scathing and Goldwater sued them for libel; judge said even psychiatrists couldn’t accurately do it from this and Goldwater won the case. I really think we should appreciate that these people are willing to take the chance on these ridiculous shows of being made out to look like either a bland, or dashing, or sexy, freaky, or disturbed individual and we be somewhat forgiving.

9. lucyw4

August 3, 2016 at 4:50 PM

Haha…I knew Robby got a new set of choppers!
    They look so fake!

10. thedoctor

August 3, 2016 at 5:20 PM

I watch BIP to see boobs, not see someone acting like a boob. Between Bachlette, MTA and now BIP how the f can Chap been given this much screen time? If previews are to be believed he some how returns after being booted. Was there more than 1 minute devoted to the Jubilee/I forget his name date? I want tops coming off not guys shorts after he supposedly crapped himself.

11. LM111

August 3, 2016 at 8:57 PM

BIP was just like UnREAL. I imagine how giddy the producers were when they got the soundbite of Chad talking about Sarah’s arm. Just like purplerayne said, ABC threw it in after the fact to look like he said it in front of the whole group. Bad enough that he said it at all, but come on ABC, that was a pretty disgusting move.

Found myself extra annoyed at the Chris Harrison character. Quit pretending to be this gallant guy coming in to save the day when it’s obvious you’re loving every minute of the drama.

12. LM111

August 3, 2016 at 9:10 PM

Oh, forgot to mention Daniel. Very average looking dude (face-wise) with a better than average body. Since I’m a “face” girl, I’d give him a low 7 on the scale of 1 to 10 (and yes, I’m being generous because he’s a flat 5 on face alone). Now add in personality for good measure and he becomes a 3 (we have to be honest here people, the body counts for something. No?).

So… for him to talk about the women not being attractive enough when they were all out of his league… THAT was comical!

13. lucyw4

August 4, 2016 at 8:34 AM

Haven’t watched BIP yet, but I agree 100% with your Daniel rating…3 is very accurate.

His ITM’s were so awkward (on Bachelorette), as were his mannerisms…he’s a mess.

14. RaRa

August 4, 2016 at 12:57 PM

Am I the only person in the entire viewing audience who didn’t believe one iota of the Chad over-the-top outbursts and behaviors on BIP? It seemed obviously staged from the get-go to me. My take on it is that they brought in Chad (the ‘roid rage guy) and Lace (the crazy chick) to orchestrate the “most dramatic opening episode ever”. I believe they offered him a free vacation if he would come in and act the fool for one day, after which they would send him home for his “rude” and aggressive behavior. Nothing that transpired made any sense at all. Lace and Chad yelling insults like some sort of demented foreplay, followed by heavy petting, more insults and put-downs, more making out, and then we are supposed to believe that he suddenly “went over the line” and started taking their sex play as real insults, and she stormed off in anger because he “disrespected” her? And then suddenly Lace is being pursued by the mad stalker whom everyone on the show is now afraid of? I didn’t see on single face that showed real fear, and never saw any genuine anger on ANYONE’s face. And then Chris showing up to send him home? Terrible acting. I loved last season but the first episode was so unbelievable it turned me off the rest of the season. I could cite more observations as evidence that the whole thing was obviously staged (as well as Daniel’s bad-guy play-acting also), but it’s just not even worth it for me anymore, after Tuesday’s “performance”.

I’ll check back in when the next Bachelor starts filming. But I’m done this season with BIP. It’s too bad, since I really enjoyed last season. It may also have been completely manipulated by the producers, but at least it APPEARED somewhat believable.