Dr. Reality Steve

“Dr. Reality Steve,” JoJo & Jordan’s House, & BIP Couples Spoiling Their Own Season

couplearguing12

Lets talk about the day’s obvious most pressing matter at hand: Johnny Bananas deciding to keep the $275,000 first place prize on the “Challenge” and not splitting with his partner Sarah. Savage move. But I understand it. If you’ve watched any “Challenge” over the years, you know Bananas. This is who he is. Absolutely zero of us should be surprised he did this. The answer to this scenario isn’t black or white. There’s no right or wrong. That’s all a matter of personal preference. The question is rather “SHOULD he have done it?” Again, it’s up to the person you’re asking. In a vacuum, my answer to that would be no if you asked me if I would’ve. But I get why he did. He knows he’s not well liked, he knows he’d get sh** for the decision, and he doesn’t care. Never has. That’s why no one should be surprised at it. Just remember, Nick Peterson essentially did the same thing on “Bachelor Pad 3.” Different show, different partners, but ultimately screwed his partner out of money. And that I didn’t have a problem with either.

The part where I disagree with Bananas on is his argument that Sarah screwed him over last season, so why is this any different? On the surface, yes, he’s right. Sarah did screw him over last season sending him into a challenge when she didn’t have to, so he’s saying “she screwed me, so I screwed her over.” Eye for an eye. Whether or not you agree with that is up to you. However, I think there’s LEVELS to screwing someone over. He’s making it seem like the screw jobs by both of them were equal. They’re not. Bananas got screwed and had to go compete in a challenge WHICH HE COULD’VE WON AND REMAINED IN THE GAME, but he didn’t. Bananas and Sarah had already won the “Challenge,” he was presented with a scenario (that he earned) and he screwed her out of $125,000. C’mon Bananas. Those aren’t equal. So yeah, I disagree with that argument, but I don’t have a problem with him keeping the money. It’s a game. Sarah had just as much of a chance as Bananas to be the one to make the “Keep or Split” decision, and she didn’t win. You want to guarantee yourself at least $125,000? Then win the checkpoints. Period. She didn’t, the decision was out of her hands, and Bananas kept the money. Bananas is the greatest “Challenge” player ever, his ego is through the roof, and the guy has always been about himself. OF COURSE he was gonna keep the money. Would go against his character if he didn’t. So while it was a savage thing to do, and people can debate whether it was right or wrong, for Bananas it was HIS decision to make, not ours. I applaud him for it.

So yesterday was quite interesting in “Bachelor in Paradise” spoiler world in case you weren’t following me on Twitter. As we know by the BIP episode-by-episode spoilers, three couples get engaged at the end of this season: Josh & Amanda, Grant & Lace, and Evan & Carly. Well even though you’ve known that for almost a month now, apparently these contestants don’t even care that you know, or they’re just being stupid about trying to keep a secret. Yesterday I laid out the three examples where each couple has spoiled the fact they are seeing each other post show. Granted, none of them have rings on because the show doesn’t allow them to keep it until the end of airing, but still, it’s obvious.

-TMZ ran this story yesterday as Grant & Lace were caught together in LA.

-I posted this tweet of a picture I received of Josh & Amanda that was from this past Monday of them shopping together in Target on La Cienaga in LA.

-And finally, here are IG pics (which both Evan & Carly have since deleted) that were on both of their accounts. Carly’s was a recent pic she took promoting some product, and Evan’s was from three years ago of his kitchen. Well, as long as you have two eyes, you can clearly see that Carly took that picture in Evan’s kitchen. Busted. Removing those pictures from their IG within hours of my tweet yesterday all but confirms it. Not that you should’ve had any doubts anyway.

Well that didn’t take long. “D” Magazine here in Dallas already found the home that JoJo and Jordan “bought” and posted pics of it on their website. Nothing too extravagant, but a nice little starter home. The good thing is it’s not too big, so when Jordan inevitably moves out after the breakup, it’s not like JoJo will be stuck with all this excess room. And I love how they’re saying “bought.” Ummm, they’re renting. Probably smart. Hopefully she went with the month-to-month lease, you know, just in case…

The live video chat returns tonight at 9:00pm EST/6:00pm PST. About 10 minutes after this column goes up, I will post the video feed, so you can begin asking questions immediately. See you tonight. “Dr. Reality Steve” begins on the next page…

1. xnuzboss

August 4, 2016 at 10:22 AM

To Sober: I’ve been in the program for 18 years, so keep coming back. Meanwhile, you need to know that there are ALL types of people in AA. Ask around and find a lawyer in the program who will help you get your money back and move on. Living with your dad is a hell of a price to pay for the questionable bargain of free accommodations. There are many different types of currency, and your time and health are at the top of your list. Get the hell out of there, and let your newly found sober friends help you. One day you will give back, because that’s how it works. Good luck and God bless. Do your steps.

2. purplepat715

August 4, 2016 at 10:39 AM

Carly’s Instagram pic is still there. Hers is an ad so I’m sure Evan deleted his pic to eliminate the ‘spoiler’. After all they need their money from advertising.

3. cjscjs711

August 4, 2016 at 10:56 AM

To Sober: Steve is right – you need to get your money back from the dad’s control (suggestion to find a lawyer thru meetings, OR even a legal aid lawyer). You’re an adult and unless you’ve been put under guardianship by the court and he is that guardian, it should not be very difficult to get him out of your cash.

I have worked with addicts and hear this all the time about the peers in treatment actually being a negative influence because they are not serious about staying sober. The other common problem is not having a sober friends support network. Biggest cause for relapse among young people is hanging with using friends.

Another challenge for coming out of treatment, half-way house etc. is leaving a structure that has already been set up for you. That includes the authoritarian setup with your father. On your own, you will have to be self-regulating and set up your own rules and routines. I agree with Steve to keep seeing your therapist.

Yes another challenge for addicts is no activities to replace the spacing out, getting high. If you are not working, volunteering is a great way to get back involved in the world again. Pets, senior centers, your favorite political candidate, church, nonprofits – you will make new friends, occupy your mind positively, and raise your self-esteem.

To the reality show watcher: So sorry to hear about your condition. You are right – the Bachelor shows do provide mindless diversion. Sometimes it starts to get to me, the current political climate, and how limited I am to do anything to cure it. That’s when I turn on On Demand and look at Bachelor episodes.

4. shouldbeworking

August 4, 2016 at 11:39 AM

To Brain Cancer Blessed. God bless YOU !
    Steve Jobs’ morning routine used to start by looking in the mirror and asking, “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?”
    Life is so short. We should live it to the fullest.

5. gapeaches131

August 4, 2016 at 3:11 PM

Ahhhhhh!!!!! SPOILER ALERT on The Challenge! We are watching on Hulu and they haven’t posted all of the episodes yet. QQ

August 6, 2016 at 12:33 PM

Not Entertained: I fail to understand how any of this guys behavior warrants your continued response. Imagine if, in person, this guy was rude, possessive and constantly asked you to show him your private parts. I imagine you might call the police or, at least, file for a restraining order. I’m sure you wouldn’t continue talking to an abusive sexual harasser just because your parents are friends.

If it was my daughter, I’d insist on screen shots of his texts and messages and take them to the police. I’d also share them with his parents. Getting these things out in the open is the best way to make it stop. Abusers rely on the compliant silence of those they abuse. And btw, don’t imagine that you are the only one he’s doing this to. So, you also have to consider how your silence is enabling his behavior to continue with others, both now, and in the future.

Never respond again to this guy. If he sends you anything else, save it. Eventually it may be enough to take to the police. At the very least, share this with people you trust and ideally include your parents. This guy sounds like a serial harasser. I would be concerned that he might take it to the next level and hurt someone, maybe he might hurt you. Shine a light on it before it gets to that level. Harassment via social media or text is still harassment.

7. yoyotono

August 8, 2016 at 6:52 PM

Why does Carly keep going on dates with Evan if she’s not interested? You stated they became engaged at the end of BIP? What happened?

8. hurricaneemily

August 8, 2016 at 7:16 PM

Hey, Sober Drunk.

Getting a lawyer takes time and you should do that but you may be able to get out sooner by going to college. Fill out a FAFSA ASAP. (Just google FAFSA). The government will loan you money for your housing and tuition etc. You can use it to bridge the gap while you fight to get your money back and college is a healthy place to be. Lots of people trying to improve their lives. As for the addiction, you just have to make the decision that going back to it isn’t worth it and stop feeling guilty about anything and everything. You’re a human being. You’re gonna screw up but you’ve been through this mistake before so don’t make it again. You have more power over your addiction than society would lead you to believe. You just have to believe it.

I don’t know if you’re dad actually has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome or is just using it as an excuse to be a dick but it’s a real disease. I know because I have it. Being a dick isn’t part of the disease though.

Sorry the going is tough but you’ve got this. Let that be your mantra.

You may never see this but if you do and you want to talk, you can contact me through my website.

Anyway, for anyone else here’s my recap of BIP week 1: http://cafeemily.com/bachelor-in-paradise-2016-week-1/