Reader Emails

“Reader Emails” & My Thoughts on Nick as the “Bachelor”

LAS VEGAS, NV - SEPTEMBER 18:  Reality television personality Nick Viall attends the 2015 iHeartRadio Music Festival at MGM Grand Garden Arena on September 18, 2015 in Las Vegas, Nevada.  (Photo by David Becker/Getty Images for iHeartMedia)

Ha ha…man, nailed that one again. I TOLD you Jared and Caila were broken up. Was there anything else that happened last night? Funny thing was, my plane landed at 8:50 CST last night, so I was able to see the Nick announcement as it happened as I Facetimed my friend and told her to face her phone to the screen so I could watch. Perfect timing. Obviously, I was just as surprised as any of you were at last night’s announcement. I’ll stand by what I said for the last two months. I had heard it was going to be Luke. I didn’t hear anything over those last two months that made me think it wasn’t going to be him, and I would’ve been shocked if it wasn’t him. And I was shocked. So yeah, they’ve gotten a little better with these “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette” announcements in keeping them under wraps. But you can see how these announcement are completely different than spoilers for a season, right? These announcements haven’t happened yet. And they can change their mind whenever they want. Not saying that’s what happened with Nick (because it didn’t), but I’m just saying these announcements aren’t pre taped. The “Bachelor,” “Bachelorette,” and “Bachelor in Paradise” are. Hence the reason it’s much easier to get spoilers to those. I was wrong about JoJo being the “Bachelorette” last season – then spoiled her whole season. Didn’t know it was gonna be Juan Pablo – spoiled his whole season. Didn’t know at first it was gonna be Sean – spoiled his whole season. You get my point. These are mutually exclusive from each other. Just because I might not have known one thing doesn’t mean that I’ll never find anything out again. That’s ludicrous.

Because the Nick announcement has basically taken over the “Bachelor” world, that’s what I’ll talk about here on Page 1. Get your “Dr. Reality Steve” emails in for tomorrow because I think I only have two right now. No recap from last night’s episode other than I told you Jared and Caila were broken up, and that Nick wasn’t dating Jen. I think THAT is going to be the most under-the-radar storyline for next week’s finale. We obviously knew that Nick and Jen didn’t get engaged (and if you didn’t, well you know now), but how is Jen taking this? How has Nick and Jen’s relationship been post show? Were they trying to date? Did he lead her on? Did he even tell her? When did she find out? I think there could be some fireworks there next week since I did report their breakup was amicable on BIP, they just weren’t dating. But that still has to sting a little bit if you’re Jen. I’m fascinated to see what she says next week as I’m sure she’ll be on “After Paradise” next week along with the three engaged couples.

So lets talk about Nick. No, I didn’t see it coming. If I did, I would’ve told you. Already speculation of they did to Luke what they did to Caila and pulled it from him last minute. The bottom line is I don’t know what happened in regards to Luke, nor does anyone else but him. And I doubt he’s going to give an interview about it. Here’s my take: I don’t think he turned it down. I don’t think Chase turned it down. They interviewed all three guys, all three guys had meetings with producers, and they ultimately decided on Nick. Their decision to make, plenty of people are talking about it, plenty of people love it, plenty of people hate it – but they’re talking about it. Huge buzz around it and that’s all they care about. I think people are reading waaaaay too much into any behind the scenes shenanigans regarding this, and possibly screwing over Luke and Chase. They didn’t. They always interview more than one person every season, and they always have more than one person believing every season it could be them. This was no different. But I honestly don’t think they sat Luke down, said “Yes, you’re our Bachelor, sign here,” then changed their mind. Luke was a finalist. Chase was a finalist. Nick was a finalist. It was between those three. They chose Nick because they can and we’ll watch. Simple as that. Conspiracy theorists save your breath. There wasn’t any.

As I told one person who interviewed me this morning for my reaction, I had no idea he was gonna be Nick. It’s uncharacteristic in the sense that they didn’t choose someone from the previous season, but not so in that they cast someone who the audience has a connection with and who has a backstory. So in that sense, I get it. But was I surprised? Absolutely. We’ve just never seen them go that far back in seasons to cast a lead. Outside of Brad and Emily, the last 17 seasons have been someone from the previous season essentially. So I had no reason to believe they’d all the sudden do it this season. Nobody did. So yeah, I guess in the future we can’t rule anything out anymore. Even contestants who are still on BIP. Not that they’ve cared about BIP spoilers this season since the three engaged couples have been spoiling it on their own with their social media posts, but announcing Nick last night is the SHOW actually spoiling their own finale next week, which is brand new territory for them. It’s all very bizarre, but hey, at least it’s something different.

Gotta say, I’m somewhat excited for Nick’s season. As you know, he’s definitely grown on me this season and it seems like he’s starting to finally understand how to “play the game.” I say it every season: I don’t care who gets the lead role. Makes no difference in my life. I’ve never rooted for or against anyone who’s been the “Bachelor” or “Bachelorette.” And that’s still the case with Nick. I really don’t care that it’s him over Luke or Chase. But just with the back history I have with him in regards to him spoiling his season on the plane coming back from Andi’s filming, and now approaching his 4th time on the show, and the fact that, well, it’s NICK THAT’S GONNA BE THE BACHELOR, it does have me a tiny bit excited. And lets not forget yet another under-the-radar storyline that won’t be talked about publicly regarding Nick as the “Bachelor” – the head count of how many women from this franchise he’s slept with/going to sleep with. Right now, I’m aware of 5 he’s slept with, and I’m guessing I don’t know everyone. We know he’s gonna take 3 girls to the fantasy suite and I gotta imagine he’ll sleep with at least two of them. Nick is gonna be at a MINIMUM of 7 now once filming is over! If he’s not in the lead already, he will be very shortly. I think he might have the record.

As for filming, just like the last 7 seasons, nothing has changed. Yeah, Elan might’ve tweeted you can still get cast and maybe it’ll be one or two girls that get added late, but a majority of this season’s cast is already done and has been for a month. They cast their contestants first, then the lead because this is a TV show. They’re in the business of making good television, not finding the 25 most perfect women to date the “Bachelor.” It’ll be no different from any other season in that sense. Filming begins mid/late September like it always has and will begin in LA. As I mentioned yesterday, I’ve already heard a possible location for the overnights and final rose ceremony this season that I’m trying to get finalized. No idea if/when that’ll be, but if it is this place, it’s somewhere they’ve never been. As for the girls, assuming the girls I already have aren’t cut at the last minute, I’ll be posting them closer to filming beginning per usual. Do I think the age range will change because Nick will be 36 during filming? No. Brad was 38 his second time around and all his girls for the most part were mid to late 20’s like every “Bachelor” season sans Byron. I expect the same for Nick. The ones I have so far are mid 20’s, so I don’t see that formula changing. We know the last 3 seasons on the “Bachelor” in the episode before hometown dates, they did the episode in the leads hometown (Juan Pablo – Miami, Chris – Iowa, Ben – Indiana), so if they stick to that schedule, we can expect to see episode 7 right around the last week of October being filmed in Wisconsin.

The decision to cast Nick, or the fact that I didn’t know about Nick beforehand doesn’t change anything once the season starts. I will spoil it in real time as much as I can, filming will end, I’ll tie up a few loose ends then give you the episode-by-episode spoilers well before the first episode airs. It’s going to be status quo here at Nothing changes because it’s Nick. Hey, maybe if we’re lucky, Nick will spoil his season again on the way home from his final destination! A man can dream. It won’t matter if he doesn’t, because I’m guessing this season will be just as easy to spoil as the last few “Bachelor” seasons have been for me. Looking forward to this one. This should be entertaining.

1. crushonspivey

August 31, 2016 at 9:18 AM

If Brad Womack can be the Bachelor 2x, why not Nick? He’ll put on just as good of a show. And t hat is what this is all about. But I do hope they cut down on teh fake BS a bit sooner and get down to the real relationships and legit stress and drama by the time they get to the final 8 girls. I always hate the early episodes because of the fakeness.

BiP is a clown show. But the winners were clearly Nick, Daniel and literally no one else. Grant/Lace are huge losers, so are Josh/Amanda, and Evan/Carly is laugh out loud ridiculous. THey need to revise this show for next summer.

2. jlal

August 31, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Have never been a fan of Nicks. His average looks and slushy way of talking just don’t appeal to me. However, I did wonder if he was going to be the next bachelor, due to the way they were promoting him this season. I love Carly and Evan and think they are for real and have a chance. At least more than they others, which i realize is not saying much.
    As for Ashley I. Good Lord the girl needs therapy. Unless she is just acting and playing a part. Don’t know why she would, since it makes her look like a fatal attraction girl. Can you imagine how crazy she’ll be over a guy that she actually goes to bed with. Scary!

3. jlal

August 31, 2016 at 9:52 AM

Steve don’t get so defensive about not knowing it was Nick. You don’t have to keep repeating how you get the spoilers right. We know. Also, no one expects you to be right 100% of the time. And, if some do screw’em it is not reasonable. Your fans understand. Also, they made a reference to “spoilers” or something like that on the show after announcing Nick. Did you or anyone else catch it? I miss it, but am sure it was referring to you.

4. hayleyyy

August 31, 2016 at 10:06 AM

What did Caila do off camera that Ashley keeps eluding to (ITMs, After Paradise, Twitter) as well as some of the other cast? I don’t understand why they can’t just come right out and say it?

I don’t care for Caila much, but is it sooo evil that she didn’t initially think she’d be into Jared? How come Carly gets to be repulsed by Evan and straight up insult him, but get a free pass on that? Or Jared – didn’t he go on the show for Britt and vote for her as well? People can fall for someone after they get to know them. Doesn’t make them fake!

August 31, 2016 at 10:59 AM

It was kind of funny because during the last show I was noticing how bad of an edit Josh got and simultaneously noting that Nick was getting a really good edit. Buddies with everyone. Confidant to some of the women. He was the guy stepping up to call out the evil Josh, who got the villain edit. I thought for a second, you know, he might be a good Bachelor. Then I thought, no, they won’t go back to a retread like Nick and besides, he has the taint of BIP all over him. But there it is. I think it’s a pretty good call. The news is going viral already. The show is already getting what they hoped for.

6. vessel

August 31, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Loved that Nick is the Bachelor and that the franchise managed to surprise us.

Obviously he’s slept with Andi, Kaitlyn, and Jen. Anyone know the other two Steve included in his “5 so far”?

August 31, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Another funny thing is that Nick was the villain of his first go round during Andi’s season. Remember he was kind of the sleezy guy who was getting in between Josh & Andi’s true love. (what an edit in retrospect) He then called out Andi on ATFR for having sex with him right in front of Josh. And then Andi reported that Nick was, I forget the word, but it was something like “cringe worthy” in bed. And he wasn’t exactly the hero in Kaitlyn’s season either with his awkward faceoff with Alf for several weeks. Now, he’s the good guy and Josh is the douche. And Alf, who knows. I’m sure people who follow him on Social Media know, but he’s really yesterday’s news. Only on The Bachelor and WWE could this happen.

8. hales

August 31, 2016 at 2:16 PM

For everyone wondering what Caila did off camera that was such a big deal, Ashley just discussed it on her FabFitFun snapchat recap. To sum it up, before a rose ceremony when the men and women are separated, Caila apparently told Amanda that she wasn’t 100% into Jared but she would have no problem getting engaged at the end and just breaking it off 3 months later. Amanda told the other women of course which is why the house was against her.

9. hayleyyy

August 31, 2016 at 2:26 PM

That’s why they hate Caila?? Lol but it’s pretty much open knowledge that everyone goes on the show for reasons other than love! And so what if she’s not 100% into him? Nick isn’t 100% into Jen, but nobody is giving him a hard time about it. Funny that she’s being called fake when she’s actually being real by admitting those things. And I have yet to see her lead Jared on by telling him she likes him sooo much or that she’s falling for him. If anything he seems very aware that she’s holding back and unsure. No hoodwinking him and being fake…

10. paradi

August 31, 2016 at 2:31 PM

I don’t think you should be embarrassed about not knowing who the bachelor was going to be. But maybe a smidge for telling people who guessed correctly that they were 100% wrong.

Other people did spot the Nick trend early. Just look to some of the Bachelor boards. Producers were saying “software salesman” at casting at least as early as June. That just isn’t how you would cast girls for Luke.

11. starryeyed

August 31, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Hi, I’m new here. I’m really excited for Nick to be the new bachelor. I’ve only seen him in Katlyn’s season and felt bad for him when he got dumped. Think he’s really handsome and funny. I prefer him over the chunky ham, Josh.

12. adrie

August 31, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Wow Nick! I’m actually really surprised they picked him. He’s been in three Bachelor related seasons and to run with him as a lead surprises me. I would’ve been happy with Luke but bring on Nick’s season. I think because viewers have seen how easily Nick falls in “love” the producers will have a hard time making his season believable…

13. elizabeth82

August 31, 2016 at 3:09 PM

I wasn’t interested in reading Andi’s book before this season of “BiP” but now I want to. But I really don’t want to pay for it 😛

I wanted Luke for Bachelor, but Nick’s good TV and not so unlikeable anymore, so I’m fine with it. Really wasn’t expecting it! And they spoiled their own show by announcing him before the resolution of his relationship with Jen, which was a weird move.

14. marwe

August 31, 2016 at 6:47 PM

What’s the background story of Amanda. When did she get married?, why the divorce?, what job does she have to support her two children?

15. texas09

August 31, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Just like the reader who commented that she is 35 has a child and decided this is the year to hang up her hat – that could have been me except 32 and 2 kids. This was the year I was going to stop watching because I had zero interest in watching Luke (or Chase). I have stopped once before for Ben Flajnik’s season but they drew me back in. I almost stopped watching at Kaitlin’s season until Steve spoiled it that Nick was back. I have to agree with Steve, I’m surprisingly excited to see what next season holds!

16. adrie

September 1, 2016 at 1:22 AM

Btw does anyone else think Josh Murray is very annoyed/jealous Nick got the gig?

September 1, 2016 at 7:28 AM

@adrie: Josh has the double whammy of getting the villain edit, and coming off as a very angry, abusive and scary person. His BIP appearance not only didn’t counter Andi’s book, as he had hoped, but confirmed everything Andi said. Then his nemesis from Andi’s season and this year’s BIP comes across as the hero and is named The Bachelor. On top of that, Josh had campaigned to become The Bachelor, I think, last season and was turned down. Yeah, the last few months have not been good to Josh. So, Nick being named The Bachelor has to be a real kick in the groin to him. Josh is certainly not the type of guy who’s going to just let this roll of his back. It’s bothering the hell out of him.

18. TeresaRenee

September 1, 2016 at 8:55 AM

The way Josh reacted to Amanda going to bed without him was a huge red flag. That alone should concern Amanda. This is not the man you want as a dad for your daughters.

19. vessel

September 1, 2016 at 9:18 AM

@elizabeth 82 I took Andi’s book out of my local library. No need to buy it!

20. RaRa

September 1, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Who are the other two women (Steve said five so far that he knows of) Nick has slept with? I only know of Andi, Kaitlyn, and Jen. Were they “reunion” hookups with Bach franchise alumni? I don’t know how to go back through all Steve’s articles and try to find everything he has said about Nick outside of the show.

21. elizabeth82

September 1, 2016 at 4:58 PM

@vessel, I’m actually a librarian, but we don’t own it and it’s too new to borrow from the couple other owning libraries in our consortium. :p I had bought Courtney’s book and added it to the library’s collection afterward. I could add Andi’s book to our nonfiction cart, but we have a small budget and not sure how many other Bach fans there are in town.

Thanks for supporting your local library, btw! <3

22. hurricaneemily

September 2, 2016 at 3:27 AM

Hey, Steve.

I’m glad the ads aren’t bogging down your site anymore. I can finally read your posts again. I wasn’t completely surprised that Nick was chosen. I thought I was going crazy because it seemed like he was getting a Bachelor audition edit but it was BIP. I guess I wasn’t.

You can read my thoughts on Nick being chosen as the Bachelor here: