Reader Emails

“Reader Emails” & My Thoughts on Nick as the “Bachelor”

Hey Steve – Did I just misunderstand what I saw/heard on tonight’s show? When the contestants were all gathered talking about the Josh/Amanda/Nick situation they showed Grant and Lace on the stairs (with Wells and Ashley) and Caila walked up, asking if everybody else was going upstairs. Lace dismissed her, saying they were talking and then turned and said, “I can’t stand…I can’t stand her.” Then the next thing is an ITM with Lace talking about Josh/Amanda. Was her “I can’t stand her” about Caila? Caila seemed so weird in that Amanda/Jen conversation. Like Amanda and Jen were actually talking and Caila was perched there like an awkward mannequin. I honestly don’t remember this specific conversation because there’s so much choppy editing on this show.

And really…that conversation with Ashley was what made Caila leave? Ashley didn’t do anything other than call Caila out on her lies and false promises. Caila is coming across like such a petulant, fake brat. I’ve never liked her, and this BIP season is making me like her even less.

Looking at the previews for tomorrow – thanks to your spoilers I know Wells chooses Ashley out of the three women – did he legitimately like Ashley, or was it more of a trying to hitch his wagon to the biggest fan favorite? Are they still dating at all or did that totally finish on BIP?

Comment: I’ve kinda been out of the loop on Ashley and Wells. My guess is they’re not all that serious. It’s tough for me to believe any of these BIP couples that go back to their life and have to do long distance aren’t serious. Ashley lives in LA. Wells is in Nashville. I’d be surprised if they were serious.
_____________________________________________________________

I have a few questions and comments for you.

#1. I find it very telling and interesting that everyone on BIP never refer to Amanda and Josh has “one of the strongest couples”. From what the cast (and from what you heard) everyone says they were with each other 24-7 but anytime people speak about who the strongest couples are they’re never mentioned. I guess that all depends on your definition of the word “strongest.”

#2. I also find it crazy that out of everyone on BIP Nick has been the voice of reason and I mostly agree with every observation he’s made and said. I guess we know why he’s been the show mouthpiece for the last couple weeks.

#3. I know in the past when asked about Nick you’ve always said you’ve heard way too much about him to change your opinion on him. And you’ve also said you heard stuff about Josh. I know you can’t go into details about what you were told but based off what you know/ hear who have you heard more bad things about..Josh or Nick? It’s a tie for first.

#4. I think this season the person I’ve been most surprised with is Lace. It’s crazy how different she seems then the way her edit was made on Ben’s season. On the bachelor she seems so timid and different where here she’s completely opposite. I think she looks worse now than she did on the “Bachelor.”

#5. I know once the bachelor/bachelorette starts filming or airs on tv you always get people emailing you and telling you about the contestants. Have you ever heard anything bad on Amanda. Either during Bens season or on BIP. ( and not from the cast but from people who knew her before she came on these shows). Yes.

#6. This season I’m having a hard time following where we’re at in the season because of these rose ceremonies (or lack of for that matter). I feel like they’re so randomly put in to the episodes. It may be just me. It’s definitely not just you. It gets confusing.

#7. Last question! How’d your draft go?! I grew up with a family who loved football but I didn’t start getting into it until few years ago and this year is my first draft I’ll be in. (My drafts Monday)

If I remember correct I thought you said you don’t necessarily have a favorite nfl team but do you have any favorite players?

Comment: I think I have a solid team, but I’m certainly not going to bore anyone by telling them who’s on it. Guess what? I don’t care who’s on anyone’s fantasy team, so I’m certainly not going to bore you with who’s on mine. It’s just hard for me to get fired up about fantasy football anymore. I’ll do it every year, but I’m certainly not a die hard that’s checking my score every 5 minutes on Sundays and on the waiver wire all week long and reading websites about it. I just can’t get that into it.

I’m a fan in general of the NFL. A lot of players I like watching. Too many to name.
_____________________________________________________________

Impressions of the show at this point:

Almost embarrassed by how much more likable Nick is now—particularly enjoyed his takedown of Josh.

Genuinely worried by how quickly Amanda gave in to Josh when she thought his outburst might actually threaten their relationship.

Even more convinced that Ashley I is mentally unstable and should not be cast on shows like this, for her own safety.

Thinking Grant and Lace probably need relationship counseling already (or in Lace’s case, Lithium)—which I’m guessing is a really bad sign.

Would recommend that the twins have much more separate lives if they want to be taken seriously as relationship material. THIS.

Watched Brett last night and thought Izzy was deeply stupid for dumping a decent guy like Vinny for such a turd.

Noticing that Jared’s unwillingness to really jettison Ashley I is a massive turnoff to Caila—makes him look weak—guessing she’ll lose respect for him over that.

Wondering if, surprisingly enough, Evan and Carly wind up becoming the one couple from here that actually lasts.

Comment: I can’t buy any of these couples long term, but I definitely agree with most of these.
_____________________________________________________________

Do you think there was a decent level of producer involvement convincing the twins to leave paradise and talk to Amanda the way they did since the season was winding down and it was clear they weren’t leaving with anybody…persuading them to be pawns to stir up more Josh/Amanda/Nick drama? Of course.

I had a hard time watching that and how upset Emily and Haley were just trying to say goodbye and trying to spit out their concerns to Amanda and Not thinking it was almost against their will or better judgment.

Plus they were left last to give out roses…maybe because they were wild card roses but probably because producers knew they were going to leave.

Comment: Nothing is done on this show without producer involvement, coercing, coaching, etc.
_____________________________________________________________

Do you think the twins sound like Taylor Swift when they talk? I think they even favor her when she wore her hair longer a few years ago.

Comment: Yes, I can totally hear that.
_____________________________________________________________

Dear Steve,

From what you’ve heard, are Carly and Evan faking it or at least temporarily interested in each other? I actually liked them as a couple from when you first put out spoilers because they each used “freaking” as an adverb so much on previous seasons. It’s the kind of thing that would annoy most people – but maybe not if they both do it.

And a fun contrast that I noticed last week: after that montage of the early cast members asking what “glib” meant, Ashley came in and casually dropped “disingenuous” in conversation. The girl is clearly smarter than she plays.

I hope your live session goes better this week!

Comment: I haven’t heard much about them other than they’re still together, as are all the engaged couples.

Unfortunately, the live chats are done for the foreseeable future.
_____________________________________________________________

Since the video chat didn’t work out last week, I’ll ask the questions that I submitted & wanted to ask via email:

What did you think of Christian & Alex during your interview? Christian was funny & had a lot more personality during the short interview than was shown of him in both seasons he was on. While I didn’t care for Alex on Jojo’s season, he seemed pretty cool & I respect his decision for not joining BIP, do you know who he’s dating now? I had fun with it. I thought Christian came off very down to earth and a normal guy. Alex was better than I thought as well. As for who he’s dating, well if you couldn’t read between the lines, he’s definitely interested in Tomi. But I don’t know exactly what’s going on there.

Izzie looked so much like Katie Holmes on the after show.. Vinny must have given her Tom Cruise vibes so she broke up with him, which must be hard to explain. Or she was scared shitless of his mother which is another solid reason to end Vizzie. Not sure what their status is now other than what we saw on TMZ. My guess is they’re civil, but not dating. Kinda like how Nick and Jen were. Well, until last night. That’s going to be the most interesting part of the finale next week I think. Exactly what has Nick been telling Jen this whole time post show? Or at least since he’s known he was gonna be the “Bachelor?”

Who was your 1st pick in fantasy & who would you’ve taken if you had 1st overall? Who’s your QB? We have an auction draft (which every league should do), so I didn’t really have a “1st round pick.” If you’re in fantasy football and you’re still doing a snake draft, you need to dump that and catch up with the times. Auction drafts are 10000% more entertaining. Snake drafts are outdated. The player I spent the most money on was A.J. Green.

Whataburger or In-N-Out?

Comment: In-N-Out. Not even close.
_____________________________________________________________

From this email on, a lot of Nick reaction as these all came in after 9:00pm CST last night…

Hey Steve, I hope this email gets in since I sent it pretty late. I actually decided to email you immediately after the Bachelor announcement.

Okay, I’m in shock like I think we all are. But here’s my crazy theory… Luke seemed like he was an absolute shoe in, and if he wasn’t, then Chase was the next option obviously.

Could the producers of this show hate Josh so much that they made Nick the Bachelor? Considering Josh/Amanda get engaged on next week’s show and that Nick has gotten a much more favorable edit than Josh. They didn’t cast Nick to spite Josh. I think people are reading too much into it.

Okay, I’m assuming you caught up with the new DWTS stars/pairings. Is this season the ‘trash’ season? Seriously, Ryan Lochte and Amber Rose? I get the whole Lochte thing for ratings… but Amber Rose? She’s know for two things: being a former bald stripper and Kanye’s ex. Yuck.

Comment: Same thing, different season. It’s very much like the “Bachelor.” Some contestants people hate, some contestants they love. Yet they’re always watching.
_____________________________________________________________

Would have been so much much more interested in watching Luke. Completely. Prob won’t watch now. Ugh. Buh Bye Bachelor.

Comment: Ok.

1. crushonspivey

August 31, 2016 at 9:18 AM

If Brad Womack can be the Bachelor 2x, why not Nick? He’ll put on just as good of a show. And t hat is what this is all about. But I do hope they cut down on teh fake BS a bit sooner and get down to the real relationships and legit stress and drama by the time they get to the final 8 girls. I always hate the early episodes because of the fakeness.

BiP is a clown show. But the winners were clearly Nick, Daniel and literally no one else. Grant/Lace are huge losers, so are Josh/Amanda, and Evan/Carly is laugh out loud ridiculous. THey need to revise this show for next summer.

2. jlal

August 31, 2016 at 9:45 AM

Have never been a fan of Nicks. His average looks and slushy way of talking just don’t appeal to me. However, I did wonder if he was going to be the next bachelor, due to the way they were promoting him this season. I love Carly and Evan and think they are for real and have a chance. At least more than they others, which i realize is not saying much.
    As for Ashley I. Good Lord the girl needs therapy. Unless she is just acting and playing a part. Don’t know why she would, since it makes her look like a fatal attraction girl. Can you imagine how crazy she’ll be over a guy that she actually goes to bed with. Scary!

3. jlal

August 31, 2016 at 9:52 AM

Steve don’t get so defensive about not knowing it was Nick. You don’t have to keep repeating how you get the spoilers right. We know. Also, no one expects you to be right 100% of the time. And, if some do screw’em it is not reasonable. Your fans understand. Also, they made a reference to “spoilers” or something like that on the show after announcing Nick. Did you or anyone else catch it? I miss it, but am sure it was referring to you.

4. hayleyyy

August 31, 2016 at 10:06 AM

What did Caila do off camera that Ashley keeps eluding to (ITMs, After Paradise, Twitter) as well as some of the other cast? I don’t understand why they can’t just come right out and say it?

I don’t care for Caila much, but is it sooo evil that she didn’t initially think she’d be into Jared? How come Carly gets to be repulsed by Evan and straight up insult him, but get a free pass on that? Or Jared – didn’t he go on the show for Britt and vote for her as well? People can fall for someone after they get to know them. Doesn’t make them fake!

August 31, 2016 at 10:59 AM

It was kind of funny because during the last show I was noticing how bad of an edit Josh got and simultaneously noting that Nick was getting a really good edit. Buddies with everyone. Confidant to some of the women. He was the guy stepping up to call out the evil Josh, who got the villain edit. I thought for a second, you know, he might be a good Bachelor. Then I thought, no, they won’t go back to a retread like Nick and besides, he has the taint of BIP all over him. But there it is. I think it’s a pretty good call. The news is going viral already. The show is already getting what they hoped for.

6. vessel

August 31, 2016 at 11:59 AM

Loved that Nick is the Bachelor and that the franchise managed to surprise us.

Obviously he’s slept with Andi, Kaitlyn, and Jen. Anyone know the other two Steve included in his “5 so far”?

August 31, 2016 at 12:15 PM

Another funny thing is that Nick was the villain of his first go round during Andi’s season. Remember he was kind of the sleezy guy who was getting in between Josh & Andi’s true love. (what an edit in retrospect) He then called out Andi on ATFR for having sex with him right in front of Josh. And then Andi reported that Nick was, I forget the word, but it was something like “cringe worthy” in bed. And he wasn’t exactly the hero in Kaitlyn’s season either with his awkward faceoff with Alf for several weeks. Now, he’s the good guy and Josh is the douche. And Alf, who knows. I’m sure people who follow him on Social Media know, but he’s really yesterday’s news. Only on The Bachelor and WWE could this happen.

8. hales

August 31, 2016 at 2:16 PM

For everyone wondering what Caila did off camera that was such a big deal, Ashley just discussed it on her FabFitFun snapchat recap. To sum it up, before a rose ceremony when the men and women are separated, Caila apparently told Amanda that she wasn’t 100% into Jared but she would have no problem getting engaged at the end and just breaking it off 3 months later. Amanda told the other women of course which is why the house was against her.

9. hayleyyy

August 31, 2016 at 2:26 PM

That’s why they hate Caila?? Lol but it’s pretty much open knowledge that everyone goes on the show for reasons other than love! And so what if she’s not 100% into him? Nick isn’t 100% into Jen, but nobody is giving him a hard time about it. Funny that she’s being called fake when she’s actually being real by admitting those things. And I have yet to see her lead Jared on by telling him she likes him sooo much or that she’s falling for him. If anything he seems very aware that she’s holding back and unsure. No hoodwinking him and being fake…

10. paradi

August 31, 2016 at 2:31 PM

I don’t think you should be embarrassed about not knowing who the bachelor was going to be. But maybe a smidge for telling people who guessed correctly that they were 100% wrong.

Other people did spot the Nick trend early. Just look to some of the Bachelor boards. Producers were saying “software salesman” at casting at least as early as June. That just isn’t how you would cast girls for Luke.

11. starryeyed

August 31, 2016 at 2:33 PM

Hi, I’m new here. I’m really excited for Nick to be the new bachelor. I’ve only seen him in Katlyn’s season and felt bad for him when he got dumped. Think he’s really handsome and funny. I prefer him over the chunky ham, Josh.

12. adrie

August 31, 2016 at 3:09 PM

Wow Nick! I’m actually really surprised they picked him. He’s been in three Bachelor related seasons and to run with him as a lead surprises me. I would’ve been happy with Luke but bring on Nick’s season. I think because viewers have seen how easily Nick falls in “love” the producers will have a hard time making his season believable…

13. elizabeth82

August 31, 2016 at 3:09 PM

I wasn’t interested in reading Andi’s book before this season of “BiP” but now I want to. But I really don’t want to pay for it 😛

I wanted Luke for Bachelor, but Nick’s good TV and not so unlikeable anymore, so I’m fine with it. Really wasn’t expecting it! And they spoiled their own show by announcing him before the resolution of his relationship with Jen, which was a weird move.

14. marwe

August 31, 2016 at 6:47 PM

What’s the background story of Amanda. When did she get married?, why the divorce?, what job does she have to support her two children?

15. texas09

August 31, 2016 at 7:00 PM

Just like the reader who commented that she is 35 has a child and decided this is the year to hang up her hat – that could have been me except 32 and 2 kids. This was the year I was going to stop watching because I had zero interest in watching Luke (or Chase). I have stopped once before for Ben Flajnik’s season but they drew me back in. I almost stopped watching at Kaitlin’s season until Steve spoiled it that Nick was back. I have to agree with Steve, I’m surprisingly excited to see what next season holds!

16. adrie

September 1, 2016 at 1:22 AM

Btw does anyone else think Josh Murray is very annoyed/jealous Nick got the gig?

September 1, 2016 at 7:28 AM

@adrie: Josh has the double whammy of getting the villain edit, and coming off as a very angry, abusive and scary person. His BIP appearance not only didn’t counter Andi’s book, as he had hoped, but confirmed everything Andi said. Then his nemesis from Andi’s season and this year’s BIP comes across as the hero and is named The Bachelor. On top of that, Josh had campaigned to become The Bachelor, I think, last season and was turned down. Yeah, the last few months have not been good to Josh. So, Nick being named The Bachelor has to be a real kick in the groin to him. Josh is certainly not the type of guy who’s going to just let this roll of his back. It’s bothering the hell out of him.

18. TeresaRenee

September 1, 2016 at 8:55 AM

The way Josh reacted to Amanda going to bed without him was a huge red flag. That alone should concern Amanda. This is not the man you want as a dad for your daughters.

19. vessel

September 1, 2016 at 9:18 AM

@elizabeth 82 I took Andi’s book out of my local library. No need to buy it!

20. RaRa

September 1, 2016 at 11:30 AM

Who are the other two women (Steve said five so far that he knows of) Nick has slept with? I only know of Andi, Kaitlyn, and Jen. Were they “reunion” hookups with Bach franchise alumni? I don’t know how to go back through all Steve’s articles and try to find everything he has said about Nick outside of the show.

21. elizabeth82

September 1, 2016 at 4:58 PM

@vessel, I’m actually a librarian, but we don’t own it and it’s too new to borrow from the couple other owning libraries in our consortium. :p I had bought Courtney’s book and added it to the library’s collection afterward. I could add Andi’s book to our nonfiction cart, but we have a small budget and not sure how many other Bach fans there are in town.

Thanks for supporting your local library, btw! <3

22. hurricaneemily

September 2, 2016 at 3:27 AM

Hey, Steve.

I’m glad the ads aren’t bogging down your site anymore. I can finally read your posts again. I wasn’t completely surprised that Nick was chosen. I thought I was going crazy because it seemed like he was getting a Bachelor audition edit but it was BIP. I guess I wasn’t.

You can read my thoughts on Nick being chosen as the Bachelor here: http://cafeemily.com/new-bachelor-announced-2017/