The Bachelor 21 - Nick

The “Bachelor” Nick Episode 5 Recap Incl The Reality Steve Fan Appreciation Party Details Are Set

-It’s the 2-on-1 date everyone’s been waiting for. If you like pure torture, repetitive storylines, and immature, bratty behavior from a self-entitled snob. Can’t wait! Corinne’s assessment of her vs Taylor: “She’s very calculating and analytical. I’m…more colorful.” Well, she nailed Taylor. Yes, from what we’ve been shown, Taylor does seem a bit more calculating and analytical about things. These are two completely different people on opposite ends of the spectrum. Of course if you spend every living breathing second with them during a few week period, personalities are going to clash. We get that part. But I don’t see why it’s necessary to continually call someone a b**ch over and over to get your point across. Did Taylor make mistakes in her approach? I’m sure plenty of people will say she did. I even thought that how she came across would no doubt get under Corinne’s skin. I just didn’t think her reaction to it was warranted. She asked for people to say things to her face. Taylor did. And when confronted, she resorts to name calling non stop. That was this whole fight in a nutshell.

-Since the theme of last night’s episode was ghosts, spirits, and all the crap very few people believe in, why not continue it on this date with a 2-on-1 down in the bayou where these two could have their tarot cards read. But first wanted to mention something about the boat ride these two took. Even though you could barely see his face in the background, the guy who was driving the boat was former WWE Tough Enough finalist, ZZ. It was a reality show produced by the WWE where people went through training to be a WWE wrestler, and one female and one male were picked in the end to a WWE contract. ZZ made the finals but didn’t win, even though he was the worst wrestler, was in the worst shape, and should’ve been the first one eliminated. I guess you could say it was kind of a “Vote For the Worst” type of deal happening with him that season. Like Sanjaya. Anyway, that was the dude driving the boat in case any of you want to impress your friends or mistresses today.

-Tarot card reading time! This always something that fascinates me. Kinda like how a Ouija board might be the stupidest thing I’ve ever heard of, tarot card readings might be the 1A. So you’re telling me that some gypsy can shuffle a deck of cards, flip them over, and depending on who the person is that’s sitting across from her getting their cards read, she can feel vibes and senses things based on what cards were flipped over. What if after the session was over, that person pays another $10 or whatever it is, and has her do it again. By my logic, wouldn’t those same exact cards needs to be flipped so she can spew out the same garbage she did before. What if the person wanted them read 10 times in a row? I’m supposed to believe that every time the cards will align a certain way to tell her “story.” I don’t mean to sound harsh, but that’s about the biggest crock of sh** I’ve ever seen. Please don’t tell me any of you have spent good hard earned money to ever have your cards read. I think I wanna go do one now just so I can laugh at the person and call them out for everything that doesn’t remotely pertain to me.

-Corinne adds to her list of insults to Taylor this episode by calling her a “big mean, swamp monster” and that “bullies never get a happy ending.” Actually, I think Chad Johnson might disagree with you on that one once he went on his tour of banging all his former contestants’ ex-girlfriends. Miss Tarot Phoney told Taylor to stay away while she was reading her cards, as we cut to Corinne with Nick telling him that Taylor called her stupid and a bully. So when it’s Nick’s turn to talk to Taylor he tells her that Corinne told him she felt a bit bullied by her, called her names, and called her stupid. A classic case of tattling basically. Chris Harrison even acknowledged it in his blog today when he said Corinne “made her best defense an offense.” So he’s admitting that Corinne used everything she was doing to project it on Taylor…and it worked. And the show allowed it. And Nick bought it. Not to mention, defending Corinne and leaving Taylor out to dry in his blog today. I know things are crazy in this world right now, but are we in an alternate reality? What the hell is going on?

-Now, we know Nick gave Corinne the rose and Taylor was eliminated. At least momentarily. Here’s where Taylor’s biggest mistake came. She should’ve just left the show. Yes, I’m aware that she was obviously talked into coming back to confront Nick, but again, if I’m gonna call Corinne out for her use of the whipped cream even though it was placed there by the producers, I gotta do the same for Taylor. She shouldn’t have returned for the show. Bad move. I’m sure she was upset, she wanted to get things off her chest, and producers no doubt encouraged it. But no matter what they show, I can’t imagine Taylor is gonna come off looking good in any of it, and that’s sad. She should’ve just walked away, head held high, and given the, “If that’s the type of girl he wants over me, that’s his problem” line and be done with it. She only made it messier by going back to tell him off. Which he probably deserves, but, Taylor is going to take some major heat on social media I’m sure for it. Hope she’s ready for what’s coming.

So next week we have the finality to the Corinne/Taylor showdown, with Taylor telling Nick off but him still keeping Corinne. Then they head to St. Thomas where Kristina gets her first 1-on-1, a group volleyball date where he sends Jasmine home and she tells him she slept with one of his friends, then another 2-on-1 where both Whitney and Danielle L. get sent home. He comes back to the rest of the girls after that crying about how he really wanted this process to work, and he really liked those two, and he’s down in the dumps now, yada yada yada. There is no rose ceremony next week, since once all those eliminations are made during the episode, no one else goes home. The remaining 6 head to Bimini, Bahamas the following week, and that’s where it happens when Corinne tries to sleep with him, as I corrected on page 1 today.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you tomorrow.

January 31, 2017 at 10:35 AM

I think RS missed the point of beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe Du Monde. You go there with a hangover for a mainline of sugar and caffeine. It doesn’t even matter if they’re good. I think they are good as long as you don’t let them sit too long. After a bit, the grease starts to run off the beignet and it loses it’s appeal. But that’s all beside the point of going there. It’s New Orleans. If you’re at Cafe Du Monde, you have a serious hangover that needs immediate attention.

2. crushonspivey

January 31, 2017 at 12:41 PM

I hit saturation point with Corinne last night. I had found her schtick amusing for a while, and enjoyed seeing her get under the skin of the more insecure and immature contestants (Taylor, Sarah, Kristina), but last night was too much. And now her ability to amuse is gone, so she needs to go. Time to cancel The Corinne Show.

I do blame the producers as well. They are still struggling to learn that less is more, except in the episode where the contestant is going home. Then, let them go down in a blaze of glory of their own making.

The editors gave her too much time, it distracted from anyone thinking Nick is actually going to find love on this show, and I honestly started getting bored with the episode. And so did my wife, who is ratings target gold for this show.

Hoping the show is about to transition soon to seeing which connections develop. Not holding my breath.

3. purplerayne

January 31, 2017 at 1:35 PM

Dude, fried dough is the best! I understand Steve is a donut guy, but you cannot knock down beignets! Its like knocking down pies bc you prefer cake.

I am OVER Corrine. Yes, Taylor is unaware of her stank faces and her manner of speech. BUT Corrine’s flippant way of behaviour and her mean verbal attack on Taylor just put me over the edge. She’s not entered Chad territory, where the villain is no longer enjoyable to the show.

January 31, 2017 at 2:10 PM

For me, Corrine’s shelf life was 2 episodes. I’m WAY over it. There are not any REAL looking relationships forming. It’s all paint by numbers stuff. “I’m falling in love with you”. “He’s so good looking”. “I could see myself with her”. Snore. The thing is, despite all of the show’s fakeness, usually there were one or two that were into the lead and the lead was into them. So, at least you’d have something sort of nice going on in between all the drama and sleeziness. I’m still equating Nick with Juan Pah-Blow. Like our buddy Juan on his season, Nick does not appear to be super into any of the girls. Of course, he’s lining up three of them for the fantasy suites. That’s the whole gig as far as he’s concerned. But, for him, the last two episodes are going to be the test to see whether his acting classes did any good. He’s going to have to fake it hard when he has to pretend to fall in love and propose to someone. It would be crazy funny if he started looking in the other direction and mumbling when he was “proposing”. If he does, everyone has to down a small glass of Mezcal. The worm is optional.

January 31, 2017 at 2:22 PM

@crushonspivey: I’m with you. But is Corrine distracting from a love story, or was Corrine allowed to stay so long & given so much air time precisely because there isn’t a love story to talk about? I’m pretty sure it’s the latter. I’m sure they’ll pull something together to look like a happy ending. But it won’t be real. I feel like they have a long way to go to make it plausible that Nick and Vanessa have anything going on. Ah, the wonders of editing. I think this is a big reason why any Vanessa related problems in the house will not be shown. They can’t afford to trash her & still pull together the required proposal and love story finale. She’s going to get a squeaky clean edit.

6. kimmyfromdablock

January 31, 2017 at 2:47 PM

Let me pile on the “over Corinne” bandwagon. The whole schtick is getting old, but I must say that the outrage over the repeated “*itch” references doesn’t really matter. We all know this show sells everyone out and doesn’t have much in the way of scruples. Let’s also face it, if this was a man consistently referring to another man as an a-hole, no one would really care. It would just be guys being guys and we’d call the offending guy a jerk.

I can’t imagine how my father would react to me bringing a guy home like Nick. The fact that he mumbles when he talks, often times puts his hands over his mouth when speaking and has a difficult time making direct eye contact for more than a few seconds….would put some big red flags up for any parent.

I also believe Taylor has made a complete mess of herself on this show. Not a great look for someone in a helping profession who is probably looking to build a clientele. She came off as arrogant, patronizing and immature. The fact that she got herself into this mess or allowed herself to be so manipulated by professionals is indicative of her immaturity, not her degree.

7. teenie26

February 1, 2017 at 6:20 AM

I will defend beignets to my death – they are the best! Aside from that, does anyone know if Corinne is the first person to ever make it to hometowns without having had a prior one-on-one date? It just seems strange – like she really is just a producer pick.

8. ctrealitygirl

February 1, 2017 at 8:18 AM

I agree with everyone! I always set my DVR and half watch the episodes while reading or doing crosswords, then watch the taped version the next night, fast-forwarding thru all the crap. But this episode was such a snooze fest that have not bothered to re-watch it. And I dozed off and missed most of the 2-on-1 date and have no interest in watching it. It seems to me that the whole season has been based around Corinne and her antics, her feud with Taylor WAY too many ITM’s. I, too, miss the days when the Bachelor at least made an attempt to show a love story in the making. But each season it gets farther and farther away from that format. The one thing that i find satisfying is that (according to Steve) Corinne does not get to the fantasy suites. I cannot wait to see Nick turn down her offer to have sex. I hope the folks at ABC read these comments and make some attempt to stop focusing on villains and go back to centering on the dates. And why have there been so few 1-on-1’s this year?? The format used to be two 1-on-1’s and one group date until later in the season when they got to the 2-on-1. Way too many goofy group dates this season, and the lamest one yet was that haunted house date. Ugh.

9. realiteacheck

February 1, 2017 at 10:43 AM

I’ve never felt compelled to comment until today. Steve – You are spot on with your Corinne analysis. Please ABC, we’re all done with her. She’s not funny to watch (never thought she was to begin with) and she’s certainly not original. Every season, there will be a new villain to talk about and I find that the villain character is now old and played out. Yawn. It’s the public viewer that fuels the fire and keeps characters like her on the show. When will we ever learn to just stop talking or caring about them?

I don’t understand the fascination with her or her character because it is so easy to play the villain on reality TV. Think about it: what normal, sane person would ever want to live with that reputation for the rest of their everyday lives? If you volunteer yourself for this role, all you have to do is say whatever random, cruel thing comes to your mind (without reason) and do whatever the heck you want. Half the time the producers are supplying the villain with everything they need to act in a certain way – everything from context to alcohol to coaching. So, I guess good for Corinne to take the easy way out?

10. kathscof

February 1, 2017 at 1:29 PM

I love beignets, and am over Corrine…I literally fast forward whenever she talks….

The best part about last night’s show was the Luke and Josh beauty and the beast teasers and the new trailer!