Reader Emails

“Reader Emails” and One of Becca’s Guys in Some Serious Legal Trouble

Photo Credit: ABC

Hi Steve

What the heck happened to the possesionista?? I read that her site was shut down. I loved reading her blogs…

Comment: From what I remember her posting on Facebook, she just isn’t doing it anymore because it was taking up too much of her time, and she just wants to be a mom to her kids. Can’t fault her for that.
_________________________________

What do we think of Blake and holly? Do you actually think they’ll last? Why on earth would she marry him – he’s the worlds biggest tool! My least favorite bachelor character hands down. I would never trust a man like that- especially because it’s not only sad he went on bachelor pad to begin with (showing such maturity) but he literally played another girl on the show (the fact he said whoring himself out)

What are your candid thoughts? Sometimes I hear weirdly these marriages work out…. but the odds for divorce in this case I feel are likely. He’s super condescending to her as well as everyone else.

Comment: This email was sent yesterday. Just kinda random that a couple who hasn’t been on TV in over 5 years someone would care about. I haven’t given them any thought since they left the “Bachelor Pad 2” finale engaged. I know nothing about their life.
_________________________________

Hi Steve!

I wasn’t going to ask this since it’s probably just my error but you mentioned being low in reader emails so…

Was Wills reading a book in the kitchen at the very beginning of the show? I thought they weren’t allowed to bring books? I think Sharleen said in a podcast that they will occasionally allow it and make exceptions for people. But it’s not something where you can sit in your room all day and read. They definitely don’t want you doing that.

I’m glad you said you don’t understand the timeline of the whole Tia/Colton thing because neither do I. Tia’s season started airing JanuArie 1st and they’re saying their “relationship” was before the show aired but IN January? So confused. The People article didn’t help at all since it was exactly what Tia said on the show. And what the heck was up with Colton saying in an ITM “I’m grateful she’s here” (referring to Tia)? Could he be any more obvious that he’s not there for Becca? There are still holes in that story that I don’t think we’ll ever get the real answers to. Something isn’t adding up.

P. S. Maybe consider bringing a microphone or something to the party next year. I watched the video of the trivia contest and felt so bad for you trying to shout over those ladies. ?

Comment: It’s probably why when you listen to tomorrow’s podcast, you’ll hear my voice is kinda gone. Having to talk loud at the party, then the next night at the club having loud conversations didn’t help either. It’s a bit of a struggle I tell ya’. Recording today with Dalton and you’ll hear my voice is a tad fried.
_________________________________

I know Caroline was supposed to be on BIP but her social media activity says she’s not, as well as her herself tweeting she isn’t going. Any idea why?

Comment: I’m not sure. Maybe she’s going on later, but if she’s not, I definitely don’t think it was her choosing. I’m pretty sure she wanted to do it. Why wouldn’t she? All her friends are.
_________________________________

Hey Steve,

How do you stay organized with information, timeline, vital details?

I’m picturing something like A police task force room full of pictures, sticky notes and maps!

it must be time consuming to keep it all organized and in chronological order if you have to update as you get new information

Have a great day,

Comment: Nope. Nothing like Carrie on “Homeland.” Just a Microsoft document where I write everything down during filming when it happens.
_________________________________

Hey Steve!

As a fan of the Bachelor and Survivor, I love the Survivor podcasts every once in awhile! It is fun to here their prospective on the show and all the behind the scenes info.

Hulu has all the Survivor seasons as does Amazon Prime if you ever need something to watch on plane or at home! I recently started watching old seasons and it has been really interesting to see how much has changed. I like the older players better. Did you feel the current season of players seemed a little more like “actors”? I just didn’t get the “realness” vibe from them if that makes sense.

Anyway, if you have time-go watch some old seasons! It is fun.

Thanks for the bachelor AND survivor podcasts!

Comment: I think everyone who goes on the show now is usually a huge fan and has studied past characters, almost to an obsession. And some even try to emulate the game play of past contestants. It’s an interesting dynamic. Some people will see that as acting, some won’t. I don’t necessarily look at it that way to be honest. I like it regardless because I think they do a great casting job every season.
_________________________________

Hey Steve, been reading your site for years but didn’t start listening to the podcasts until recently–not sure what took me so long as now I am totally hooked and listen to them at the gym every morning and on my drive to/from work. I’m going to be bummed once I’ve gone through all of them and only have one a week to listen to! It’s awesome to hear what past contestants have to say, and you seem to have a knack for getting people to open up by giving them a safe and non-judgmental space to share their story. I listened to your interview with Michelle Money yesterday (and after listening felt so inspired!) and am now about halfway through listening to her interview you. I love getting to know more about you! Anyways, my questions:

After listening to James Taylor’s interview last week, I’m curious to know if he backed everything up he said on his interview with you and lived up to what he was saying? While listening to everything he had to say and the realizations he’d had, I found myself identifying with him from an unexpected place. I got sober a little over four years ago, and when he was talking about finding it hard to lay in bed at night and think about the person he had become, it made me remember having similar feelings and deciding to make a change in my life. Obviously a much different situation, but some of the things he said brought me back to that time and how I was feeling then, so I’m curious to know if he’s been able to walk the walk. No, he hasn’t. And that’s disappointing.

My second, and much lighter, question: on these dates where they do something physical during the day, and then have the nighttime portion, where do they all go to shower and change in between? Do they go back to the mansion? And does everyone pack a change of clothes? How long of a break do they get? I imagine some people take much longer to get ready than others (especially when on the Bachelor group dates when it’s a large group of women doing hair and makeup) so are some sitting around for a long time while others primp? Unless the date is extremely close to the mansion (likes Becca’s 1-on-1 with Arie last season), it’s always done in the hotel usually where the dinner date is.

Thanks for continuing to provide entertainment season after season. I watch the show on Tuesday nights with my mom, but still read your recap prior so I know everything that’s going to happen (and of course who wins the season on night one too). She loves that I have all the inside scoop, and I recently told her I email you questions sometimes, which she found hilarious. Tonight I’m going to plant the idea of going to Vegas for your fan appreciation party next year….

Comment: Hey, we’ve already gotten almost 20 people who want on the tentative list for next year, so let me know. It’s tentative only because I don’t know the date of when it’ll be yet, so no one can book anything right now. I probably won’t finalize it til close to 2019 or even in Jan/Feb of 2019. I’m guessing it’ll be around the same weekend as it’s been 3 of the 4 years, which is that first Friday in June, which next year is June 7th. But nothing is set in stone yet. I’m looking at a different hotel for next year, so I have to make sure it has the availability.
_________________________________

Hey Steve,

Every year as I’m watching the bachelor and bachelorette I always wonder HOW THE HECK DO THESE CONTESTANTS FALL OFF THE FACE OF THE EARTH for months at a time?! I read your site so I know the filming schedule is typically spring/fall. My questions don’t even concern how they get off of work. I assume most quit their jobs, take a leave of absence, etc. But spring/fall is such a busy time for weddings. All of them are stereotypically at the “marrying age” …. I guess not many are bridesmaids or groomsmen in weddings?

Idk. I just wonder if there has ever been someone who perhaps made it to hometown dates, had to be the best man/maid of honor in a wedding and returned. I guess maquel left for her grandfathers funeral and returned. Any others you can think of that left and came back?

Comment: Not many have left and came back due to prior engagements that I can remember, if any at all. Some people I guess just prioritize the show first. Hard question to answer.
_________________________________

Hi Steve,

Do you think that Becca has caught onto how self absorbed Jordan is? It seems like she has and is just humoring him until the producers let her eliminate him. I think I detected a smirk when she was listening to his nonsense on the group date. I’m sure she’s aware what a character he is and basically is just keeping him around for TV purposes.

Why couldn’t Clay have had his surgery and then continued on with the show? Seems like he’d only miss a couple days of filming. Now of course this stupid show isn’t worth giving up his career, so is there something I’m missing in regards to surgery and recovery? He could’ve come back on. His surgery was done in NY through NFL doctors. I know this because the day it happened, I got a pic of him at the pharmacy picking up the medicine prescribed to him by someone in line that day who just happened to notice him. He certainly could’ve come back if he wanted to. I guess he just didn’t want to because his career was more important.

I thought Jordan’s “chickens can’t fly” line was hilarious until I read your column and saw that David’s injury was much more serious than the show portrayed. Any reason why they shortchanged us on the full extent of the drama which they clearly love?

Comment: I’m nots sure, but they did address the fact he got a concussion and broken nose and was in ICU. But the happy-happy-joy-joy call to Becca really did seem to downplay it.

June 13, 2018 at 9:16 AM

RS is implying that The Bachelorette show should have known about Lincoln’s arrest. It’s possible that they could. But many background checks don’t include arrests, only convictions. And, in California, there’s a state law that doesn’t allow employers to ask for arrests. So, since The Bachelorette is California based, I doubt that a standard background check would get them arrest records. Arrests are public records, so it would still be possible for the show to uncover them, but they’d run a risk of running afoul of the state law. So my guess is that they only get convictions. Therefore, they would have had no visibility of Lincoln’s arrest. I’m personally OK with this mostly. Lots of people get arrested and either not prosecuted or later get acquitted. To get arrested, all you need is a police officer making a decision to arrest you. There’s often very little evidence gathered at the time of the arrest, and obviously there’s been no trial, etc. So an arrest could mean very little. Using arrest records has the potential of putting a lot of extra burden on someone who’s done nothing.

2. shenanigans

June 13, 2018 at 10:22 AM

Rob 22. This is all true. However, I suspect that the questionnaire Lincoln completed to be on the show specifically asked him to list any arrests on his record (regardless of the outcome of the case). If they asked that question and he didn’t disclose it, he is the one who violated their contract.

3. crushonspivey

June 13, 2018 at 2:49 PM

If Ashley Spivey keeps this up, she’ll unintentionally get the show cancelled. ABC is so uber lefty, this stuff won’t stand, right. I mean if Lassiter is going, they cancel shows over Twitter postings, why let the awful screening let the show go on? And in this 3metoo era, how does Bach in Paradise even make it on air. Booze + loose fame hungry skeezy contestants. What could else could go wrong?

4. upmyalley

June 13, 2018 at 3:41 PM

Well it seems Ashley and Steve have a new vocation of outing people. Of course I am outraged by the actions of the perp but I’ve lost all respect for RS and I think Ashley is just a nosy, arrogant gash who needs to focus on her own life. These recent happenings between Smashly the feminazi and Stevo leave a bad taste in my mouth.

5. tamara

June 13, 2018 at 3:46 PM

I am surprised by some of the hostile posts (calling ashley a gash?). Very sad to me. I think it is an important realization about Lincoln. Something seemed off to me about him all along. And Garrett’s likes show he is in agreement with those posts. they were not just conservative they were cruel and aggressive, rather than just having an opinion that differs from some folks. And then people judge Steve and Ashley for talking about it. Sad times, imho. no need to fight with me about this, please. not interested.

6. billhobbs23

June 13, 2018 at 8:32 PM

Not true…Federal AND State laws allow for OPEN cases to be included in consumer reports.

7. billhobbs23

June 13, 2018 at 8:34 PM

@shenanigans If the application was “employment” related, the prod co is NOT allowed to even ask about anything other than convictions.

8. tinyred500

June 13, 2018 at 11:52 PM

It could even be the franchises distributers Warner Bros., that cancel. Don’t forget it was them who ordered production to shut down last seasons BIP, and it was them who had an independent inquiry completed.

9. tinyred500

June 14, 2018 at 12:27 AM

Irrespective of what people think of their findings, because that’s a whole other story as we know. Both Steve and Ashley are now coming across as a couple of busy-bodies. Will they be conducting investigation’s into the female contestant’s for the Bachelor too?

I think crushonspivey comment about the shows/franchise getting cancelled could become a reality sooner rather than later, if this continues.

10. jlal

June 14, 2018 at 4:51 AM

Wow, upmyalley “gash”? That disgusting comment says way more about you than Ashley.

The show or BIP are not getting canceled because of Lincoln. Unless he assaulted Becca and I haven’t heard about it yet. The #MeToo and #TimesUp movementa are about sexual assault and harassment, and the marginalization of women which has gone on since the beginning of time in not just our society, but around the world. It has nothing to do with consenting single people getting their freak on.

Crshonspivey – Posting a racist Twitter post comparing an African American woman to a monkey, when you’re a TV star working for a network is it not even in the same category as Garrett. White people have been using the monkey comparison to marginalize and insult the black race since the beginning of time, especially in the US.

Garrett posted or liked stuff (from what I read since I don’t do social media, so not sure) that reflected his opinions about homosexuals and transgender people. While some may not agree with his opinions he didn’t personally denigrate someone because of their race. Many people have his opinion (if it is his) based on their religious beliefs which he is free to have; that is what this country was founded on. As long as he didn’t and doesn’t openly discriminate, as in denying someone a job, or selling them a home, etc. he hasn’t done anything wrong. And, his employer apparently didn’t have an issue with his posts; Roseanne’s did as did the sponsors of the show.

RS being puritanical in his judgements of others is nothing new; he has been that way since I started reading this site. Don’t know about Ashley and frankly don’t care about Ashley or her opinions.

11. jlal

June 14, 2018 at 5:06 AM

One more thing, as someone who has done background checks, things can be missed especially if someone lies. That being said, I bet after this they’ll be way more thorough in the checks.

12. doctordiva

June 14, 2018 at 7:12 AM

@Rob22 I’m wondering if there’s a difference between arrest vs charges vs convictions. Everyone who is arrested isn’t charged with a crime. Sometimes you are just brought in for questioning and if the circumstances don’t add up you will be let go. Lincoln was charged so he’s on file and the case is open. It should have shown up in court documents. I understand if they can’t go to police precincts and see who was arrested but he clearly had been charged with this, stood trial, and was merely awaiting a verdict. I feel like the show could’ve done a better job but I’m sure they will look more closely into these people from now on.

June 14, 2018 at 7:45 AM

@doctordiva: in California, the employment laws are much stricter than most of the rest of the country. So, I don’t know if they consider contestants “employees”, or not… it’s a gray area, for sure. But if they ran a background check, it would only likely include convictions, or they risk a lawsuit. Anyone could legally challenge them if they collected arrests on a background check. Likely whoever is doing the background check wouldn’t agree to include arrests either, because they could be put in legal jeopardy, as well. I doubt the suits at ABC would take the chance in gathering “iffy” data, anyway.

Now, the point was made that they could have asked whether contestants have been arrested. And based on the show’s latest comments, it look like they did, and Lincoln lied. So, again, RS is blaming the show for not knowing. If the background check legally could not include arrests, and Lincoln lied on the application, how is that the show’s fault? They did what they were legally allowed to do and Lincoln’s arrest did not show up. Definitely it’s Lincoln’s fault for lying. But since he was unpaid, I doubt there is much the show can do legally. He may have breached the contract, but he wasn’t paid. If the shows have decent ratings, it will be hard to show they were harmed. And they probably want the news to fade away…. any filings on their part just keep this in the news for months longer. So, I suspect that, like everything else, this topic will fade away. The media and gossip sites will move on to the next thing.

14. fishbelt

June 14, 2018 at 3:58 PM

Lincoln was convicted and has to register as a sex offender. Surprised Steve didn’t pick up on this.

15. fishbelt

June 14, 2018 at 4:06 PM

TMZ had this scoop before Steve asked the SJW to copy and paste it. TMZ also had the Final Rose pics, Steve did not. Go to TMZ for all things scandalous about the Bachelor series.

16. upmyalley

June 14, 2018 at 6:24 PM

Fishbelt, tmz is indeed becoming a good source and it’s entirely possible that some of Stevo’s sources may decide they would like to be paid for their info. Wouldn’t that be a hoot!

17. upmyalley

June 14, 2018 at 6:29 PM

@tamera I only have one response. I don’t care what you or anyone else thinks, at all, about anything. I am 100% true to myself and those I love only. It works for me. Life is good. Bubye.

18. willowby

June 15, 2018 at 5:46 AM

Tamara, many people out there who agree with you. We’re just not as vocal and most probably don’t even read RS. I can’t look at Garrett now and not think of him as a hateful and ignorant. And for Becca to come to his defense and urge people to be “open-minded” is disturbing. The show must do better for its contestants. RS and Ashley and all the investigators are doing society a public service by outing these douchbags.

19. corn29

June 18, 2018 at 8:57 PM

@willowby

> I can’t look at Garrett now and not think of him as a hateful and ignorant

The only ignorant person here is you. Despite your SJW leanings, it’s still entirely possible to express an opinion and NOT have you or your ilk attack someone in return.

It’s a social media “like”. That’s it. Garrett has not indicated otherwise that he has discriminated against someone based upon any preferences or attributes about that person.

It’s just that Garrett’s personal preference is not aligned with LGBTQIA+ things.

That’s okay.

I get that you @willowby are an intolerant, hateful, person who makes assumptions about others instead of having mature and emotionally intelligent conversations about it. But that’s okay; I would never hold that against you like you do Garrett. Especially in a non-verbal, online, manner.

20. corn29

June 18, 2018 at 8:59 PM

@upmyalley

Totally agree.

WHO the F appointed Ashley the Bachelor hall monitor?

21. willowby

June 19, 2018 at 12:36 PM

Corn29. You seem nice. Look, what I’m saying is one does not arbitrarily click on “like” unless one agrees with what is posted. Those were some pretty intolerant memes he liked. That tells us a lot about someones values. I’m hardly intolerant or hateful, thank you very much. Quite the opposite. Have a great day!

22. upmyalley

June 19, 2018 at 5:26 PM

Plenty of syuff in the news lately about the current state of what the press calls “immigrants”. In my opinion they refuse to call people who enter our country illegally, illegals. Am i to be judged because I like immigrants but don’t like illegals if I like a meme about it? I just think it’s shallow to judge someone on their social media likes, especially someone you’ve never met. I probably woouldn’t like anyone based on that criteria. Just be true to yourself first.

23. upmyalley

June 19, 2018 at 5:30 PM

@corn29 Excuse my ignorance but what does swj stand for? Tia.

24. realitynyc12

June 20, 2018 at 10:42 AM

@upmyalley, to answer your question, yes you are to be judged, if you are so caught up in the term “immigrants” vs “illegals” that you don’t see that these are human beings too and while maybe yes, they shouldn’t try to get into this country illegally, they don’t deserve to have their children (of all ages!) Ripped away from them and put into cages like in a freaking concentration camp. And if you happen to watch that video where a guard is joking about all the noise children are making crying out for their parents as “orchestra”, and you feel nothing about that, then yes you will be judged as a person with no heart. How about that? Has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with basic human compassion which some people decided is no longer a requirement these days.

Probably not the smartest idea bringing this whole thing up as an example, when it has nothing to do with what is being discussed above anyway.

You have a nice day.