The Bachelorette 14 - Becca

The “Bachelorette” Becca – Episode 7 Recap & (SPOILER) Some BIP “Couples”

Photo Credit: ABC

-Blake is done whining about not getting a 1-on-1, so now he can go out and enjoy the day. And it’s been known throughout the annals of history that the best medicine for someone who’s being a brat that he didn’t get his way is a Baha Men free concert on the beach. Seriously. Go look it up. It’s the only known cure. So glad the Baha Men were able to clear their busy schedule and find time to give Becca and Blake a fun day together. The Year 2000 called, it wants it’s music back. For a show that season after season finds current musical guests that no one’s heard of (and Richard Marx), they dug way back into the bargain bin for the ol’ “Who Let the Dogs Out” troop didn’t they? Man, can you imagine if Mellow Man Ace, Shaggy, or Candyman were available? Lets take a trip down memory lane shall we?

-Just when you thought Blake would be happy that he finally got his 1-on-1, Becca mentions to him during their talk on the beach that it’s late in the game and she has strong feelings for a few of the guys, and now Blake wants his binky again so he can curl up and pout. “She clearly cares about more guys than just me.” Uhhhh, yeah. That’s kind of the point of the show. You’re allowed to have feelings for more than one person. The thing you don’t want to do though is tell one person you’re in love with them. Then the next day tell another person the same exact thing. That might get ya’ in a little bit of hot water with the one you eventually end up choosing.

-Dinner time for Blake and Becca and I guess this was the episode where producers huddled beforehand, came up with a gameplan, then shared it with everyone. And that gameplan was “Hey everyone, lets spice things up a bit. Hometowns are next week so lets make some of these guys spill their guts on very personal things that don’t really have a place on TV and are really private family matters. Who’s got Garrett? You make him trash his ex-wife again. Blake? Tell him to talk about his mom having an affair.” And that’s exactly what he did. Blake says the reason he can be standoff-ish and be a little show to open up is because he’s been hurt before, and that was by his parents. They’ve divorced and it was because when he was a teenager, his mom had an affair with his basketball coach/English teacher. Yet again, something that could’ve been shared with Becca in private if you guys end up together. I don’t understand why anyone would that out there. Yes, I get that it’s part of his life and something that happened, but why do 6 million strangers need to know about it now too when it’s something you could’ve kept to yourself? I don’t think something like that would be found online, so, it’s not like “Oh, it was gonna get out anyway.”

-The oversharing this episode was kinda mind boggling. Colton’s virginity is peanuts compared to what Garrett and Blake shared. Hey, maybe that’s why they’re final two because they were so open about their feelings. Hell if I know. And again, I have no problem with them telling her that stuff since it did impact their life. I just don’t see why it needed to be done that early in the relationship and on TV. I get it from a producer’s perspective and TV purposes, sure. I’m guessing they were like pigs in slop once the guys did that. But on a personal level, sharing that your mother had an affair with your basketball coach? I don’t get it and probably never will. Why not just leave it at “My parents got divorced and it was really hard on me since it happened at such an important age for me?” Perfectly acceptable. Then later on you know, if she actually becomes your fiancé, then maybe open up a bit more about it. That detail of the story could’ve easily been left out and still had the same effect. I’d be a terrible reality TV contestant. I know all their tricks by now. I’d give them nothing they could work with and they’d have to frankenbite me to hell to make me remotely interesting.

-Oh yeah, there was a 3-on-1 date as well which couldn’t have been less interesting if they tried. Leo was eliminated immediately because, well, Leo. And he uses more hair conditioner than she does which should be an automatic grounds for dismissal on this show. So we have essentially a 2-on-1 battle with Jason and Wills once Leo is sent packing with no exit interview that we’re given, and Wills shows up for the dinner portion of the date not wearing a romphim. Huh? All season he’s setting his own fashion trend and on his biggest date of the season he doesn’t go with the romphim? I guess he has himself to thank for her choosing Jason over him. That’s what you get. But it was announced after the show that Wills will be on Paradise this season, so I guess Mexico will be treated to leopard print romphims as well. Fun times all around I tell ya’. Can’t wait.

Hometown dates next week, all of which were spoiled in real time and you can see pics and videos from in the episode-by-episode spoilers. Also, Bekah, Tia, and Kendall are there to talk to Becca before her decision and that’s where Tia pulls her aside to tell her she still has feelings for Colton. Whether or not that was the #1 reason Becca sends Colton home, who knows? But they certainly are now setting up storylines from “Bachelorette” that lead into Paradise to keep people hooked.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page, or listen to all my podcasts at Apple Podcasts. Talk to you tomorrow.

1. hermoine

July 10, 2018 at 11:40 AM

So now that we know Tia goes back to Becca to tell her she still has feelings for Colton, could that be the reason we saw Becca crying on the bed in the couple promo snippets for episodes coming soon? That’s my theory!

2. adelina

July 10, 2018 at 12:17 PM

I am rooting for Blake. Yes he overshared about the divorce details even though I imagine your Mom having an affair with one of your teacher/coaches is pretty unsettling and embarrassing…but, he just seems more genuine than Garrett.

I also find it odd that Garrett dated his ex-wife for a significant time and then divorced two months later???? Like, you didn’t see ANY of this hothead behavior? And if you did and you rationalized it, fine, but between that and his politically incorrect instagram likes — I just think dude seems idealistic and a little misguided.

I think he needs to slow his roll and just be single for a while. I don’t see them making it at all – he’s such a ‘yes’ man and like an eager puppy wanting to please Becca.

Sidenote: could Wills have a more monotone /eyes half closed disposition? Nice guy. Nice sense of style. Flat affect.

July 10, 2018 at 12:51 PM

I’ve really snoozed through this season. Wow, we’re already to hometowns. I’ve really been playing on my phone while my wife watches. In the snippets I’ve watched, there have just been so many uninteresting guys, who aren’t really that interested in Becca. Now that Leo and Wills are gone, that does help. But I’m not buying that Colton gives a rip about Becca. I guess Jason might, but it really doesn’t look like Becca is that into him. That leaves, of course, Blake and Garrett and the pretty obvious two horse race. It’s just taking SUCH a long time to let go of 25 (or whatever it was) guys that were not going to happen. I’ve found this season to be very tedious. I don’t care about any of these guys (yeah, I do like to be happy for the final couple) and their relationship with Becca. And, honestly, it seems like she spends a lot of time weeding out guys who slip up while trying to fake interest in her. Then she spends a day brooding about the latest guy she had to kick to the curb. Then she cancels the cocktail party and gives out roses to a bunch of guys that have no chance. Why did he get the rose? Because look at who’s left. So uninteresting.

4. GoingBlonde

July 10, 2018 at 2:32 PM

Garrett turned me off last night with his little speech about not putting a ring on the finger without having had sex first. This test drive theory is so dumb! If you have attraction and chemistry, then sex will get figured out. Sean and Catherine waited and are doing just fine. I liked Garrett before even despite his recent Instagram scandal. But last night, I was just disgusted with him and Blake.

5. angelfish

July 10, 2018 at 2:45 PM

Sean & Catherine had BOTH already had sex with other people, so they knew what to do and what they liked and how they liked it. HUGE difference than being with somebody that only knows the mechanics. I can’t stand Garrett, but I support his test-drive theory.

6. shenanigans

July 10, 2018 at 3:19 PM

The sad reality about sex: you can have fabulous sex with someone you don’t even like. You can also love someone dearly and not be compatible with them that way. If you marry that person without knowing that, you may spend the rest of your life unhappy with your sex life (one partner will be frustrated, while the other partner will feel put upon). Why ANYONE would risk that by waiting until marriage is beyond me.

JMO

7. upmyalley

July 10, 2018 at 9:22 PM

I totally agree. No one has any charisma and it’s just been crikets from the start. Very boring.

8. corn29

July 11, 2018 at 5:29 AM

Becca is no different than Andi Dorfman… both got the Bachelorette gig out of sympathy (being wronged by JP and Arie) and because they were portrayed as strong, independent women… then we see the true vapid and shallow person come out.

Becca’s reaction to Colton being a virgin was completely classless. For Becca being a self styled SJW, why would virginity matter? She’s totally down with all types of people except when it comes to virgins for some reason.

Becca’s reaction to Garrett not bringing a woman home to the parents since his divorce was ridiculous too… should Garrett said have said something like 5 or 6 women then? Would that have been better.

Becca has weird personal notions of what normal is.

9. jlal

July 11, 2018 at 6:03 AM

Agree that most of the men on this season are just boring or at least their edits are boring. I wish the show would focus more on developing the personalities of the contestants rather than fabricating drama.

BTW – Becca did not react bad when Colton shared he was a virgin. Like RS showed, she sent out at the time saying she got up to go to the restroom. She probably didn’t even get up right after he shared, it was just edited that way. Why the show makes a big deal out of people being virgins I don’t know, it is stupid. The show acts like being a virgin is like having a dreaded disease.

I think Blake will be the next bachelor. It seems they are setting him up for that at least.

I don’t buy for a minute that Becca and Tia didn’t communicate before, during, and after the show about Colton. I also don’t buy that Tia suddenly realizes she has “feelings” for him. It is all manufactured drama. All of it.

10. jlal

July 11, 2018 at 6:10 AM

As for Wills, Adelina I said something similar in another post. His half mast eyes, monotone voice too sweet voice, etc. just seem disingenuous. Very affected. He continues to remind me of that blond chick from Arie’s season, Krystal! Just looked it up. Anyway, he kind of gives me the creeps. Also, while his style is “interesting” it is so not my cup of tea or what I’d like my man to be wearing.

11. corn29

July 11, 2018 at 4:40 PM

> BTW – Becca did not react bad when Colton shared he was a virgin

Bull… that tweet from Becca is reactionary to all the negative tweets about it. Becca’s tweet is just as fake as some claim this show’s editing is.

Becca’s reaction is her reaction and she needs to own it. She didn’t excuse herself to go to the bathroom. She needed to gather her thoughts. Becca does her best thinking when she’s dropping a deuce? LOL Whatever!

Unless she

12. jlal

July 12, 2018 at 3:37 AM

corn29 – Even Ashley I stated on a show I was watching that there is no way Becca got up right after he told her. It was edited to look that way. She went on to say they probably either told her to walk around or just shot her pacing around and then edited it in too. This show is heavily edited, heavily. Becca didn’t even get up to go to the bathroom right after he told her, they just made it look that way.

However, from your response the created the story line works so there you go.

13. ctrealitygirl

July 12, 2018 at 12:58 PM

To help settle the question about how Becca handled Colton dropping the V-bomb…today there is an article in People.com where Becca states that she felt she needed some time to process the information as she was about to make a huge decision about who gets hometown dates. SO…why was she tweeting that she merely needed a ladies room break?? Amazing how they change their stories to suit their needs and make themselves look better.

14. corn29

July 12, 2018 at 1:44 PM

Thank-you @ctrealitygirl!

I just saw the People thing and came here to reply to the people arguing with me about this…

@jlal. BECCA’S OWN WORDS are, “I needed to gather my thoughts”. That is NOT, I need to use the ladies room.

Yes, this is at odds with Becca’s own tweet from tuesday — A tweet I mentioned was BS and completely reactionary from all the criticism Becca is getting for being so judgmental.

15. ctrealitygirl

July 12, 2018 at 2:08 PM

You’re most welcome corn29! Besides the People article, I re-watched the scene after reading about Becca tweeting that she simply need to get up to go to the ladies room, and it didn’t appear edited to me. And the whole time he was telling her, her face seemed frozen…no sign of compassion. So, methinks the news did disturb her to some point. Just own up to it!

16. jenscho

July 15, 2018 at 1:34 PM

Sometimes going to the restroom is code for taking a break to gather yourself and your emotions.