The Bachelorette 14 - Becca

The “Bachelorette” Becca – Episode 9 Recap, (EXCLUSIVE) “Men Tell All” Spoilers, & an Editing Screw Job

-We begin with a mini tour of Chiang Mai, Thailand as Becca tells us this is one of the romantic places she’s ever been to. Outside of Virginia of course. The most interesting thing she said at the beginning of the episode was that “I’m in love with two men, and falling in love with a third.” Translation: You know the guy I just said I’m falling in love with, not the two I AM in love with? Yeah, that guy’s going home and I just gave it away :14 seconds into the episode. Just wanted to give everyone a heads up in case you didn’t read spoilers or weren’t paying attention, like, at all this season. I don’t think it takes a rocket scientist to see that her connection with Jason really wasn’t close to hers with Blake and Garrett. Not sure why the outcry last night on social media for Jason, but I guess that’s to be expected. We pretty much get that every season towards the end. And then when she breaks Blake’s heart in two weeks, people will feel sad for him. Same thing every season. It’s a broken record. Like, people will actually get mad at Becca for eliminating him. Or come up with some weird reason with how she acted beforehand only to break up with him. It’s pretty mind boggling.

-Blake is excited to see Becca. “I can’t wait to touch her and kiss her.” Sounds like a weird thing to say, no? I can’t wait to touch her? Just seems that could’ve been phrased better. You know like, “Being that it’s overnight dates week, I can’t wait to have sex with Becca.” Seems less creepy. Once Becca sees Blake, coming off last week’s 4-for-4 of jump and straddles during the greetings with each guy at the hometown date, Becca shows the world that her jump and straddle does not have international boundaries. She will do it anywhere, at any time, in any country. So Blake gets his jump and straddle and he’s one happy puppy. Of course, the second Blake starts thinking of Becca with any other man, even though he knowingly signed up for a show where the female lead dates and makes out with numerous other guys, he starts to get inside his head, talk 1,000 miles per hour to himself, and never looks at the camera.

-Becca tells Blake that before they begin their date, he must know that they are on some sacred ground, and once they cross a certain threshold, they cannot kiss. Well, this makes Blake lose his erection immediately and he’s already over it. I remember this same kinda thing happened in Chris Soules’ season during the overnights in Bali. I think it was at the temple where the rose ceremony was, and there wasn’t any kissing allowed. Yeah, that didn’t work for anyone involved. For 6 weeks up to this point, Blake (and all the other guys for that matter) have essentially been blue balled to the point of death. And NOW he’s being told, “Hey hands off buddy until we get through this silly walk.” I’m guessing he probably wanted to sprint through that thing. I sure would’ve. They did some meditating too which I’m sure had him all fired up. What a crappy date. “Get me to the night portion, will ya!” exclaims Blake. Ok, maybe he just said that in his head. Or in a thought bubble I magically put above him on screen.

-Over dinner, Blake lets Becca know how he’s been feeling on the inside, and it’s basically, “Hey, I didn’t start thinking of you with other dudes until recently and it sucks.” She asks him if the thought of committing to her scares him and he says no. He’s always been one to find a reason to stay, not a reason to go. Which seems like something I’ve seen on a meme before. If not, it probably should be on one. Or something that some girl you follow on Facebook who’s going in and out of relationships, and you know this because she posts about each and every one on her News Feed, posts one that says something similar. The oversharing could stop at any point now on Facebook people. Men, women, everyone. Just quit telling us your life story in your News Feed. I just don’t get it. If you have kids, I get it. But everything else. And the passive aggressive quotes, or the hints at something wrong in your life? It’s obvious you’re screaming for attention and you want a bunch of people to write, “Are you ok?” Never understood that.

-The fantasy suite card has arrived. Blake, do the honors. “Becca and Blake. Hope you had an inspiring day in the ancient city of Chiang Mai. Should you choose to forgo your individual rooms, please use this key to stay as a couple in the fantasy suite. I swear Blake, we’ll shut the cameras off, you can rip your mic packs off your back, followed by ripping Becca’s clothes off. She’s finally all yours pal. Have at it.” Needless to say, this didn’t take long to come to mutually decide that this is how they wanted to end the night. And something they’ve done I believe since Kaitlyn’s season (I could be wrong), we now see the morning after the overnight, and I’m sorry, but it’s just kinda awkward to watch. These two lying in bed for the first time post- coitus, and they have to speak about it on camera? Uhhhh, no thanks. Not to mention, Blake’s got a breakfast-in-bed tray on his lap. I could do without these scenes, but it looks like they’re here to stay.

July 24, 2018 at 9:53 AM

I thought the rafting scene on a Thai national holiday was funny because I once went tubing on Labor Day. It was the exact same thing here. A million people with the same idea. Wall to wall people the whole way. It’s not that great to be literally bumping into a lot of random people. Someone really messed up that idea. I know I’ll never repeat that mistake.

Anyway, this was one of those seasons where there hasn’t really been anything interesting on the show. It’s been all off the show stuff, and not in a good way. I’m not blaming Becca for this at all…. it’s the guys that have been pretty weak. There’s no way someone like Jason should even be in the F3. There is literally nothing interesting about the guy… not that Blake & whathisname F2 are Mr. Excitements either. I spent most of this season playing on the phone while we ran through the recorded video of the show. My wife would ask questions about something, then we’d have to rewind because neither of us were paying attention. It is truly amazing that they can put out a product this bad & still we watch (sort of). Shame on us, I guess.

2. adelina

July 24, 2018 at 10:08 AM

I am doing the math here and I done do reckon that our gal Becca is attracted to dumb guys.

Thick neck football dude + Arie + Garrett = dumb dudes. Garrett may take the cake in this category.

3. annem

July 24, 2018 at 10:12 AM

My understanding was that Arie’s “appearance” was the first one-on-one date with Blake when they literally trashed all signs of Arie, the engagement video footage, etc… I think it was just a ploy to get viewers to watch but he was never actually going to appear this season. I think Becca said as much on some talk show interview right before that episode aired. The interviewer said something like “so will you confront Arie?” and she nods knowingly and says something like, “he will make an appearance.” I don’t remember exactly.. it was a clip I saw on IG. I suppose we will see in the final episode, but I think if he was going to be on it there would be lots of hype at this point.

4. lovebeingretired

July 24, 2018 at 10:55 AM

The obvious conclusion, Adelina, is that Becca is not the brightest bulb in the box. Probably a very nice girl, but not so bright.

5. ctrealitygirl

July 24, 2018 at 11:05 AM

Well…Arie was posting to pix Instagram in early to mid May of he and Lauren in Bora Bora and then Hong Kong…so he was just a plane hop away from Thailand, where Becca was on overnight dates. And they were probably wrapping up around mid-May?? They could easily have filmed a scene with him there.
    And I agree with everyone about Garrett. I hadn’t noticed so much before last night’s episode how dumb he sounds. Yikes! Run Becca, run. But I’m also not digging Blake’s brooding either. In that rose ceremony scene where she gives Garrett the 1st rose, i also thought that Blake looked like he wanted to murder him! Scary. I’m pulling for Jason for Bachelor.

6. jlal

July 24, 2018 at 2:25 PM

I too liked the rafting trip. Was impressed with how well Garrett did too. I missed the Garrett is dumb parts. I think he seems like one of the more mature ones. It is not like this show give them time or at least shows them having deep intellectual conversations. I don’t know how tell if anyone is smart or stupid. Unless they’re glaringly stupid which I don’t think he is. Becca does seem to like the manly men though. Seeing who she has liked, I can’t believe she ever liked/loved Arie.
    Think Blake is hotter than heck. As for Jason, I don’t want a man who uses more hair products than me. Still team Blake or grocery Joe for bachelor.

7. tinyred500

July 24, 2018 at 2:48 PM

You beat me to it lovebeingretired and I totally agree. Although that said, we do only get an edited version of someone’s persona and we never see deep meaningful conversations; that what makes the show oh so cheesy!

8. tinyred500

July 24, 2018 at 3:01 PM

RS comments about the morning after the overnight date. Both Kaitlyn ‘and’
    JoJo had breakfast in bed with their men. I find the whole concept of the fantasy suite thing quite ghastly and gross. It’s not something I’d ever do or could ever contemplate, I’d have to pass…and run away! Lol 😀 I’d always be wondering what the lead got up to with the other girls even if he said he only wanted to talk! Nothing could ever be proven either way. 🙁

9. jlal

July 24, 2018 at 4:53 PM

I think the suite concept is sex and they play that up big time. However, that time can also be used to get to know each without the cameras and has been used that way too.

10. corn29

July 24, 2018 at 10:16 PM

@ctrealitygirl

> I hadn’t noticed so much before last night’s episode how dumb he sounds.

You so beat me to it. I was thinking the exact same thing. To say Garrett is dumber than a box of rocks is insulting to rocks.

11. corn29

July 24, 2018 at 10:17 PM

So Becca has said she wants someone who is 50/50 her partner.

So she boots Jason and keeps the two co-dependent guys.

Ummmm yeah, that makes sense!

12. tinyred500

July 25, 2018 at 1:10 AM

Sometimes it is played up for the cameras, but mostly it is what it is. The point is, there has never been alternative offered for those who just want to talk. The talking is always in a potentially salacious environment eg. The fantasy suite which involves an overnight stay in one bed. So it leads for both the contestants and viewers ‘wondering’. Personally I wouldn’t want to seen saying yes to that, even if all I was going to do was talk. I wouldn’t want those question marks above my head for ever more.

I’m sure contestants signing up for this probably think they’ll be able to both emotionally and physiologically cope with the idea of other intimacies…but I’m sure post filming and when cold reality finally kicks in….it’s a different matter altogether. I’m sure that’s a contributing factor why so many Bachelor couples break up. The Bachelorette’s seem to flair better, maybe it’s the notion that it’s normally one other man involved, opposed to two other females still involved like The Bachelor always have to have.

13. jlal

July 25, 2018 at 3:51 AM

You’re right that they don’t offer an alternative to the “fantasy suite”, but that is the point right? They don’t care and probably like it better if someone is uncomfortable, makes better TV. I don’t think the people wondering bothers anyone or at least it shouldn’t. They’re all adults and it is 2018, so there isn’t and shouldn’t be any shame involved.

Other than the occasional virgin and a few Christian contestants that make it a point to say they were waiting for marriage, they are all experienced adults. It is a given they have had other intimacies, so I don’t think that plays too much. If someone starts dating an adult that has had other relationships and they obsess about past intimacies they have way more issues, i.e. insecurities, possessiveness, jealousy, etc. that need considered. I would break up with someone for those traits, not their past. I say all this though as a women who has never bought into the male/female stereotypes and double standards. Well, maybe back in my early teens when I was still being brain washed by Catholicism and guilt.

14. tinyred500

July 25, 2018 at 4:40 AM

I wasn’t referring to previous intimacies/relationships prior to the show, that’s another thing entirely. I’m referring to what goes on during filming (and after), knowing there are others still around and then you get proposed to knowing the lead could have had sex with one or two others and then proposed to you. You can’t normalise what goes on in the show and compare it to real life whether it’s 2018 or not. The whole concept of the show is far from natural or normal, a person doesn’t normally have sex or intimacies with others just before they propose to another. So with all that, it can’t be easy for the chosen one to cope with post filming .

15. tinyred500

July 25, 2018 at 5:00 AM

I would further add, the show probably doesn’t attract contestants who care what others think of them or their behaviour too much.

16. jlal

July 25, 2018 at 5:22 AM

The thing that I couldn’t do is hug and kiss people I wasn’t interested in at all. I don’t know how they do that. Yuck! Sorry, but I couldn’t let all of those guys I was not attracted to kiss and hang all over me. Granted some contestants do that more than others, but all are pretty much required to suck face with people they’re not into.

17. tinyred500

July 25, 2018 at 5:35 AM

Absolutely agree!! Yucky! Lol They have to pull off quite an act and appear interested when on dates they don’t want to have, and be able to kiss them. I’d be hopeless and feel nauseous about the whole thing! I give them credit for being able to pull it off and some do it soooo well. 😀

18. ctrealitygirl

July 25, 2018 at 6:49 AM

jlal…re: Jason vs Blake as far as hotness goes, I do not know what it is about Jason that i like so much, maybe more his personality. I was not a big fan of his in the beginning but he grew on me. But I went back and re-watched parts of the episode as I had dozed off a few times…and I have to agree with you after re-watching the scene where a shirtless Blake walks Becca to the door to say good-bye…OMG…he is indeed quite hot, and I could sure get used to watching him for 8 weeks 😉

19. jlal

July 25, 2018 at 10:14 AM

tinyred500- Totally get what you’re saying about the timing of it all. You’re right there is nothing normal about the process they go through.

crealitygirl – I’m tell you, he is HOT. That shirtless scene was exactly the one I was thinking about too. Yikes, but I could look at that eye candy for a few weeks too. He also seems like a nice guy. A bit sensitive, but in real life sensitive guys are rare. I also think Jason has a sex appeal that I can’t define, he just has “it”, so there is that.

20. tinyred500

July 25, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Out of Jason and Blake, I’d opt for Blake every time. We will find out sometime August or September! 😀

21. jlal

July 25, 2018 at 11:58 AM

Me too tinyred500, I like me some Blake!

22. ctrealitygirl

July 26, 2018 at 11:40 AM

I’d be over the moon if it was either Blake or Jason! And I’ll be royally pissed if they make Ben H the Bachelor! The last two bachelors were oldies they dredged up…we need new blood!