The Bachelorette 14 - Becca

The “Bachelorette” Becca – Episode 9 Recap, (EXCLUSIVE) “Men Tell All” Spoilers, & an Editing Screw Job

-Time for Garrett and Becca to go bamboo rafting with a bunch of strangers. I say that because it was a Thai national holiday apparently that day, and they weren’t alone. Probably why I got the pictures I did that day of them together. So they’re rowing down a dirty river while a bunch of people splash them going by. And that was supposed to be fun? Why didn’t Garrett and Becca splash back at them? I would’ve been taking my paddle and whacking the water at them in return. They were too nice. Hey, just because it’s your national holiday doesn’t mean you can take liberties with the two Americans floating down the river filming a TV show. Oh wait, you were told by producers to splash at Becca and Garrett? My bad. Man, those crazy Thai folks. Always lookin’ for a chance to get on TV.

-Basically Garrett’s thing was opening up to Becca and he’d never opened up like to his family like he did last week during the hometown date. Then we have more Arie talk where Becca wants to be assured she’s not gonna get lied to like Arie did over and over again. She wants him to say things that he means, you know, unlike that certain someone who just fed her a bunch of lines that sounded good for TV but never followed through on them. Like being her forever person. Little did she know that “forever” to Arie meant “six weeks or so before I call Lauren.” It’s still pretty amazing when you look back on it how bizarre that whole thing was. What’s even more amazing is that if Arie ends up marrying Lauren, there will be more marriages that the “Bachelor” produced from guys who changed their mind on the final girl they chose, than guys who didn’t. Jason/Molly, Arie/Lauren 2 vs Sean/Catherine 1. Wrap your head around that one.

-Becca asks Garrett if he’s thought about the future with them and he says he has. His career doesn’t relegate him to just one spot, he’s not stuck in his ways, and he’s open to anything. Lets hope for his sake, and Becca’s sake, he actually abides by those words. He’s going to have to if this thing is gonna work. I honestly don’t see Becca settling down in Reno, NV. No offense to Reno at all, but I just don’t see Becca there. Then Garrett finally lays it down for Becca and tells her what she wants to hear. “Seeing you interact with my family, I realized how much I truly love you.” Aaaaaaannnnnnd scene! That’s a wrap on season 14 of the “Bachelorette” everyone! Thanks for all your hard work! Great season! Oh wait, we still have a finale to film? Uh oh. Ok, let me tell ya’ what we’re gonna do. When we go back and edit the whole season, leave in all the times where Becca says in ITM’s how much she gets Blake and they have such a special connection yada yada yada. That’ll be the only way to keep it from being obvious she picks Garrett. Well you know, outside of the pictures that woman in the Maldives took and sold to TMZ.

-Becca: “I’m already in love with him. This shows we’re already on the same page.” I’m pretty sure Becca has been on the same page with Garrett since the second he got out of the mini van on the first night. Probably in the same sentence with him. The season was all about creating a narrative that didn’t make it so obvious it was going to be the Garrett show, and they were able to manage that with her relationship with Blake. Date card time. “Becca and Garrett, Welcome to Thailand’s beautiful countryside. Hope you’re enjoying the nature and wildlife all around you. If you choose to forgo your individual rooms, please use this key to stay as a couple in our fantasy suite. You will get to have sex. Enjoy.” This was a no-brainer. I know that the fantasy suite card is the same every season with that last line, but why even say it? Either the couple is going to break up before the fantasy suite can be used, or they’re staying together. Lets take out this “option” of maybe they’ll decide to sleep in separate rooms. It hasn’t happened since I believe Trista’s season where the guy got the overnight date, but didn’t REALLY get the overnight date and slept in a separate room. Dumb.

-One last college try for Jason as he comes to Becca’s room the morning of the rose ceremony looking for some closure. We see him walking to the room empty handed, yet somehow when he’s in there, he’s got a giant red book full of notes or something. We only saw the first page so we have no idea what’s really in it. Some intern went to town on that first page scrap booking their ass off making it look like Jason actually put it together. I’m not really sure what this was all supposed to accomplish since Becca basically said the same thing to him then that she did when she first let him go. But I guess this was Jason’s sob story to send him away and build a possible “Bachelor” storyline. Although, Blake will have his in two weeks, so as far as I can tell, they only choose one guy to be the “Bachelor.” Last week, people were convinced Colton’s send off, coupled with his break up in Paradise with Tia makes him the next “Bachelor.” Lets all hold our horses. Still about a month or so away from the announcement, and we don’t know who it is yet based on anything. All we know is who is in the running. But to say someone has a lead over someone else makes no sense. There are no polls going. Producers aren’t telling us anything on social media. It’ll be one of Becca’s top 4 guys not named Garrett, with Ben and Peter always a possibility.

Send all links and emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Instagram name is “RealitySteve,” join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page, or listen to all my podcasts at Apple Podcasts. Talk to you tomorrow.

July 24, 2018 at 9:53 AM

I thought the rafting scene on a Thai national holiday was funny because I once went tubing on Labor Day. It was the exact same thing here. A million people with the same idea. Wall to wall people the whole way. It’s not that great to be literally bumping into a lot of random people. Someone really messed up that idea. I know I’ll never repeat that mistake.

Anyway, this was one of those seasons where there hasn’t really been anything interesting on the show. It’s been all off the show stuff, and not in a good way. I’m not blaming Becca for this at all…. it’s the guys that have been pretty weak. There’s no way someone like Jason should even be in the F3. There is literally nothing interesting about the guy… not that Blake & whathisname F2 are Mr. Excitements either. I spent most of this season playing on the phone while we ran through the recorded video of the show. My wife would ask questions about something, then we’d have to rewind because neither of us were paying attention. It is truly amazing that they can put out a product this bad & still we watch (sort of). Shame on us, I guess.

2. adelina

July 24, 2018 at 10:08 AM

I am doing the math here and I done do reckon that our gal Becca is attracted to dumb guys.

Thick neck football dude + Arie + Garrett = dumb dudes. Garrett may take the cake in this category.

3. annem

July 24, 2018 at 10:12 AM

My understanding was that Arie’s “appearance” was the first one-on-one date with Blake when they literally trashed all signs of Arie, the engagement video footage, etc… I think it was just a ploy to get viewers to watch but he was never actually going to appear this season. I think Becca said as much on some talk show interview right before that episode aired. The interviewer said something like “so will you confront Arie?” and she nods knowingly and says something like, “he will make an appearance.” I don’t remember exactly.. it was a clip I saw on IG. I suppose we will see in the final episode, but I think if he was going to be on it there would be lots of hype at this point.

4. lovebeingretired

July 24, 2018 at 10:55 AM

The obvious conclusion, Adelina, is that Becca is not the brightest bulb in the box. Probably a very nice girl, but not so bright.

5. ctrealitygirl

July 24, 2018 at 11:05 AM

Well…Arie was posting to pix Instagram in early to mid May of he and Lauren in Bora Bora and then Hong Kong…so he was just a plane hop away from Thailand, where Becca was on overnight dates. And they were probably wrapping up around mid-May?? They could easily have filmed a scene with him there.
    And I agree with everyone about Garrett. I hadn’t noticed so much before last night’s episode how dumb he sounds. Yikes! Run Becca, run. But I’m also not digging Blake’s brooding either. In that rose ceremony scene where she gives Garrett the 1st rose, i also thought that Blake looked like he wanted to murder him! Scary. I’m pulling for Jason for Bachelor.

6. jlal

July 24, 2018 at 2:25 PM

I too liked the rafting trip. Was impressed with how well Garrett did too. I missed the Garrett is dumb parts. I think he seems like one of the more mature ones. It is not like this show give them time or at least shows them having deep intellectual conversations. I don’t know how tell if anyone is smart or stupid. Unless they’re glaringly stupid which I don’t think he is. Becca does seem to like the manly men though. Seeing who she has liked, I can’t believe she ever liked/loved Arie.
    Think Blake is hotter than heck. As for Jason, I don’t want a man who uses more hair products than me. Still team Blake or grocery Joe for bachelor.

7. tinyred500

July 24, 2018 at 2:48 PM

You beat me to it lovebeingretired and I totally agree. Although that said, we do only get an edited version of someone’s persona and we never see deep meaningful conversations; that what makes the show oh so cheesy!

8. tinyred500

July 24, 2018 at 3:01 PM

RS comments about the morning after the overnight date. Both Kaitlyn ‘and’
    JoJo had breakfast in bed with their men. I find the whole concept of the fantasy suite thing quite ghastly and gross. It’s not something I’d ever do or could ever contemplate, I’d have to pass…and run away! Lol 😀 I’d always be wondering what the lead got up to with the other girls even if he said he only wanted to talk! Nothing could ever be proven either way. 🙁

9. jlal

July 24, 2018 at 4:53 PM

I think the suite concept is sex and they play that up big time. However, that time can also be used to get to know each without the cameras and has been used that way too.

10. corn29

July 24, 2018 at 10:16 PM

@ctrealitygirl

> I hadn’t noticed so much before last night’s episode how dumb he sounds.

You so beat me to it. I was thinking the exact same thing. To say Garrett is dumber than a box of rocks is insulting to rocks.

11. corn29

July 24, 2018 at 10:17 PM

So Becca has said she wants someone who is 50/50 her partner.

So she boots Jason and keeps the two co-dependent guys.

Ummmm yeah, that makes sense!

12. tinyred500

July 25, 2018 at 1:10 AM

Sometimes it is played up for the cameras, but mostly it is what it is. The point is, there has never been alternative offered for those who just want to talk. The talking is always in a potentially salacious environment eg. The fantasy suite which involves an overnight stay in one bed. So it leads for both the contestants and viewers ‘wondering’. Personally I wouldn’t want to seen saying yes to that, even if all I was going to do was talk. I wouldn’t want those question marks above my head for ever more.

I’m sure contestants signing up for this probably think they’ll be able to both emotionally and physiologically cope with the idea of other intimacies…but I’m sure post filming and when cold reality finally kicks in….it’s a different matter altogether. I’m sure that’s a contributing factor why so many Bachelor couples break up. The Bachelorette’s seem to flair better, maybe it’s the notion that it’s normally one other man involved, opposed to two other females still involved like The Bachelor always have to have.

13. jlal

July 25, 2018 at 3:51 AM

You’re right that they don’t offer an alternative to the “fantasy suite”, but that is the point right? They don’t care and probably like it better if someone is uncomfortable, makes better TV. I don’t think the people wondering bothers anyone or at least it shouldn’t. They’re all adults and it is 2018, so there isn’t and shouldn’t be any shame involved.

Other than the occasional virgin and a few Christian contestants that make it a point to say they were waiting for marriage, they are all experienced adults. It is a given they have had other intimacies, so I don’t think that plays too much. If someone starts dating an adult that has had other relationships and they obsess about past intimacies they have way more issues, i.e. insecurities, possessiveness, jealousy, etc. that need considered. I would break up with someone for those traits, not their past. I say all this though as a women who has never bought into the male/female stereotypes and double standards. Well, maybe back in my early teens when I was still being brain washed by Catholicism and guilt.

14. tinyred500

July 25, 2018 at 4:40 AM

I wasn’t referring to previous intimacies/relationships prior to the show, that’s another thing entirely. I’m referring to what goes on during filming (and after), knowing there are others still around and then you get proposed to knowing the lead could have had sex with one or two others and then proposed to you. You can’t normalise what goes on in the show and compare it to real life whether it’s 2018 or not. The whole concept of the show is far from natural or normal, a person doesn’t normally have sex or intimacies with others just before they propose to another. So with all that, it can’t be easy for the chosen one to cope with post filming .

15. tinyred500

July 25, 2018 at 5:00 AM

I would further add, the show probably doesn’t attract contestants who care what others think of them or their behaviour too much.

16. jlal

July 25, 2018 at 5:22 AM

The thing that I couldn’t do is hug and kiss people I wasn’t interested in at all. I don’t know how they do that. Yuck! Sorry, but I couldn’t let all of those guys I was not attracted to kiss and hang all over me. Granted some contestants do that more than others, but all are pretty much required to suck face with people they’re not into.

17. tinyred500

July 25, 2018 at 5:35 AM

Absolutely agree!! Yucky! Lol They have to pull off quite an act and appear interested when on dates they don’t want to have, and be able to kiss them. I’d be hopeless and feel nauseous about the whole thing! I give them credit for being able to pull it off and some do it soooo well. 😀

18. ctrealitygirl

July 25, 2018 at 6:49 AM

jlal…re: Jason vs Blake as far as hotness goes, I do not know what it is about Jason that i like so much, maybe more his personality. I was not a big fan of his in the beginning but he grew on me. But I went back and re-watched parts of the episode as I had dozed off a few times…and I have to agree with you after re-watching the scene where a shirtless Blake walks Becca to the door to say good-bye…OMG…he is indeed quite hot, and I could sure get used to watching him for 8 weeks 😉

19. jlal

July 25, 2018 at 10:14 AM

tinyred500- Totally get what you’re saying about the timing of it all. You’re right there is nothing normal about the process they go through.

crealitygirl – I’m tell you, he is HOT. That shirtless scene was exactly the one I was thinking about too. Yikes, but I could look at that eye candy for a few weeks too. He also seems like a nice guy. A bit sensitive, but in real life sensitive guys are rare. I also think Jason has a sex appeal that I can’t define, he just has “it”, so there is that.

20. tinyred500

July 25, 2018 at 11:20 AM

Out of Jason and Blake, I’d opt for Blake every time. We will find out sometime August or September! 😀

21. jlal

July 25, 2018 at 11:58 AM

Me too tinyred500, I like me some Blake!

22. ctrealitygirl

July 26, 2018 at 11:40 AM

I’d be over the moon if it was either Blake or Jason! And I’ll be royally pissed if they make Ben H the Bachelor! The last two bachelors were oldies they dredged up…we need new blood!