Interviews

An Exclusive Candid Interview with Wes Hayden

Remember how I told you it’s very tough to have the booted contestants from this show come do interviews because ABC won’t release them to me? Well thank God for Wes Hayden. Very much a breath of fresh air in this very revealing, inside look at what really went down with his “character” this season on the “Bachelorette”. Let’s just say Wes is pretty pissed off with how things shook down, and all he’s here to do is tell his side of the story. At that point, then feel free to make your decision about what you saw on TV vs. the real Wes Hayden. Yes, I’m continuing my one man crusade to expose the show for the fraud it is. Wes Hayden most certainly helps with that and paints a pretty clear picture of what this show does to get the results it wants.

Let me say that I understand a lot of you already have formed your opinion, you hate the guy, and probably nothing he says will change your mind. Kind of head scratching. What I’m assuming is that you formed your opinion of him based on what you’ve seen on television for the last 8 weeks. If he never came out to defend his actions that so many of you are bothered by, then I think you would say, “What a jerk for how he acted and what he said on TV.” Now that he is letting it known how he was edited by giving specific examples, you are saying, “Well, he’s just doing damage control.” Seems a little unfair, no? Apparently he can’t win in your eyes because your mind is made up. Well, let this interview just be a chance for him to tell you what really happened, and then, if you can honestly say that you don’t believe a word of what the guy is saying, you hear no sincerity in his voice, and is completely going out of his way to make this all up, then that’s your decision. I tend to believe the guy and think he got the worst edit in show history, and that’s why I wanted to talk to him. Hey remember, I was the guy who called him a douchenozzle back in week 1 or 2 of this column, so it is possible to do a 180. I just want to lay this out there for all of you to hear for yourself and if you think this guy is really the guy you saw on TV for eight weeks. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

Some of the topics covered in this 1 hour and 25 minute interview (I suggest you stick around for all 85 minutes. I understand it’s long, but he’s got a lot to say and we essentially cover EVERY question that most of you have about what you saw):

-Where did/does his relationship stand with Laurel? What’s been the fallout with her since the show has aired?
-Why and when did Wes go to the producers and tell them he wanted to leave and what was their response?
-What are his feelings towards everything Jake said about him during, and after, the show?
-Was the dinner date in Spain as painful as it came across on TV?
-What about the infamous limo ride and all the brilliant quotes he gave after being eliminated?
-Specifically, how did they edit things that he said, or didn’t say, to make him look like the villain?
-How have people treated him since watching him on the show?
-Is he going to appear at the “Men Tell All” taping this Saturday in LA?
-What did ABC do to his family that had both he and them pissed off?

All this and much, much more in this very revealing exclusive interview only heard here on RealitySteve.com. I appreciate the fact that Wes decided to come to me and spend this much time explaining why and how things went down the way they did. Hey, if any other contestant wants to come and spill their guts about how unfair they thought their edit was to me, I’ll gladly put them on. I’d love to do this every week. But I think Wes’ is story is most important considering he is public enemy #1 right amongst most female fans of this show. All I wanted was for him to tell his side of the story, and then let you decide where you stand. I don’t really see how you can side with ABC, or even say the truth lies “somewhere in the middle”, but hey, that’s just me. I know what this show does to people, and I know how sneaky they are. Wes Hayden was truly a victim of ABC’s manipulation and now its his turn to tell you why and how. Hope you enjoy the interview:

Wes Hayden Interview

One thing I forgot to ask about while we were recording was the, “Hey, that bird’s only got one foot” comment he made to Jillian after she asked him “How would you make it work if I pick you in the end?” Wes admits he did say that line, but not right after Jillian asked that question. It was right in the beginning of the date when they sat down is when he saw the bird, yet they edited it to make it seem like that’s how he answered her question. Not surprising.

Any questions, comments, emails, praises, criticisms, feedback, feel free to email me at steve@realitysteve.com.

1. Panorama54

July 11, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Okay, well I listened to a great deal of this interview, but not all of it. I was puzzled that at the beginning of the interview Wes seemed to be clueless about the last season of the Batchelor. He was talking about Jillian being on the show before acted like he didn’t know she was on Jason’s season of The Batchelor. I think he was playing dumb to make himself sound more like an innocent victim! Surely after spending two months filming this junk with the other guys, he would be well aware of her history with the show.

Has it occurred to anyone else that maybe Wes agreed to be the bad guy for the producers, but he didn’t realize just how bad they were going to portray him? I just can’t get past some of the things he said, even though he was clearly badly edited. Now I just think he’s doing damage control because its gotten so far out of hand. He’s probably not a bad guy, but he just got suckered in!

Anyway, I a recent fan of RS and I’ll probably still continue to watch the show and read his Blog. It’s great fun.

2. dfwgirl

July 11, 2009 at 5:05 PM

I listened to the whole interview and pretty much agree with some on here, including megd55 and lithargic and the last post, panorama. Wes is now doing a snow job on you. Steve, you are supposed to be a cynic, yet you seemed to believe everything Wes told you, even feeding him some answers before he said them. Regarding the 3 hour limo ride. Is Wes so stupid that he didn’t figure out what was going of and say, hmmm, maybe I better not say anything, or maybe I better slow down with this drinking. Come on! He acted like he’d never heard of Jillian before. What was it he said at the beginning of this interview… ‘was she on before?” Well it wasn’t that stupid, but close. Sure they edit and sure they edit to make ratings. Wes is probably not as bad as portrayed, but I wouldn’t want my single friends to date him. It’s funny to me that people want to think they are above believing everything they hear, read or see, until they actually talk to someone who’s been there, done that and then they believe everything the guy says.

3. shootme

July 11, 2009 at 5:42 PM

The girl Wes talked about with Jake wasn’t Laural.he met the girl between the time of casting and filming and they dated for couple of months.he gave away Laural`s name intentionally ,in order to be able to defend himself later. so he had a girlfriend when he was on the show but the girl wasn’t Laural.
    so it is up to u how to judge Wes`s character ,but it is sick the way he defends himself now and more sick that he gave away Laural`s name on the show and caused her lots of problems.

4. mtsb

July 11, 2009 at 6:46 PM

a. All that stuff he said about Jake…was Jake edited, too? I mean, if they’re messing with Wes, what are they doing to Jake? To be honest, I assumed the producers put him up to coming back, as opposed to Jake pushing himself back in the spotlight. (Not a Jake fan particularly, just wondering.)

b. Every time Jillian says “physical chemistry” I giggle. I’m married to a Physical Chemistry professor. He’s going to start using these clips in his class.

5. Teresa

July 11, 2009 at 7:10 PM

I agree with Shootme. That’s what i was thinking all along, he keeps saying he isn’t dating Laurel. Maybe he isn’t, it’s someone else.

6. lithargic

July 11, 2009 at 7:37 PM

Steve: You had the best blog in the net, my friend. I used to love your sarcastic take on the reality show contestants. But then you decided to become an investigaitve “journalist” and to expose the “unreality” of The bachelor franchise.

Let me make something very clrar to you Steve- we already know it’s fake! just like wrestling! But we still can’ get enough of it. So please please please, get over yourself Stop trying to be 60 minutes and just go back to being reality steve! You’re taking all of the fun out of it man.

7. beeline

July 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM

@ Patti

I’m tired of your rude comments! You’re probably a troll who has no confidence and puts down others to make yourself feel better.

SUCK IT

8. judyw

July 11, 2009 at 10:37 PM

For those who listened to the interview … remember that Wes is a performer. He is smooth. He is doing what he has to do — damage control. Can you believe everything you hear on this interview? I heard the entire interview; he is a smooth talker. but the facts still stand.

While you listen to his nice-guy voice, remember:

– You’ll not only have to believe that the show is faking his words and his intentions throughout the entire show, but you’ll also have to believe Jake is a liar and is in on a big lie by the TV show.

– More than one guy told her that Wes had a girlfriend; not just Jake. They would have to be lying, too.

– Wes admitted he told Jake he had a girlfriend when he defended himself saying “she’s always going to be one of my girlfriends, always.” But he said it again to Jillian … and then paused, realizing it. How often does a guy say “my girlfriend” accidentally?

– How did Jake know exactly what Wes would say to Jillian once confronted?

– Wes also said he was the “first bachelor to make it to the final 4 with a girlfriend.” He now claims he was being sarcastic and said more later — but watch the video. http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=youtube.com%20bachelorette%20wes%20limo%20ride&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wv# Did you see him say it? Look at his face to see if you believe he said it or was cut off …. he looks out the window. He goes on talking about how excited he is to go home to his band, his new single, a tour, etc. Do you think he was really being sarcastic or was he acting with bravado?

– He says “I am cutting off the chains — click, click, click, click — I’m a free man.” Does that sound like a set up by the TV show? Does he sound like someone who cared about Jillian?

– He said “‘I had a song on my second album that was actually number one in Chihuahua, Mexico ­ so I feel at home living around Spanish people” and that, not sure if you guys know this, but I’m a pretty big deal …. ”

– He said “I’m gonna be true to myself…numero uno is most important here” while having his romantic dinner with a woman he is supposed to be falling in love with .. and trying to get her to choose him … even if those words were said for some other reason we did not see .. he said them.

– He said he was just there for the fame and publicity; that he already made six shows … he did what he came to do. He claims this was the middle of a conversation explaining himself to the guys … but look at his face — does it look like he is saying it smugly? Does it look like he has finished the sentence or was being cut off in the middle of a thought? How could the producers make him “look” like he meant what we hear him saying if he meant something else entirely?

– If these guys really want a relationship with her … and all of them supposedly do …. when they are waiting to hear if they will be picked, they are nervous. They want to be picked. He not only said
    “I’ll be back home havin’ lots of sex” as if he would be happy if he was not selected, but Reid and Kip look surprised and disgusted at what he said. He now says all of them were talking about lack of sex; but at the rose ceremony? Wes was clearly not serious about this.

Reality Steve is out to get the show; he wants to believe Wes; he is not objective when he asks questions; he often put words in Wes’s mouth. He definitely has an ax to grind. Last year’s script made him break up on the show … but they both admit they knew already. It was not putting words in their mouth and misrepresenting their feelings. The viewing audience can see feelings.

Of course, the show is “scripted” to a degree — it’s a TV show, and they can’t show everything. They have to pick and choose what to show. But before you believe anything Wes says — claiming that the entire show is scripted and they put words in his mouth — you should make sure you see the entire videotapes.

If you don’t, you’ll have no way of knowing if they completely misrepresented Wes, twisting his words to mean the opposite of what he said. There is no claim that this has ever happened; only that not all words are included.

If it is all faked, why does Jillian believe it, too? She was there, and heard what he said to her. She said “if you really were crazy about me then you would have come up to me and you would have kissed me at least once today.” She admitted “I knew there were MAJOR red flags with him.” Jillian truly believes Wes came on this show to promote himself and in the end she said she feels a little sorry for him. Is this an act, too?

Host Chris Harrison said “Wes turns on the Texas charm and two-steps right out of this mess. I’m saying right here and now that I’m not responsible for anything that was thrown at your TV” in his blog. I guess all of this is part of the big “lie”?

Keep your minds open, everyone — don’t change your minds based on his after-the-show interview with Reality Steve who likes to make fun of the show and anyone who watches it.

9. judyw

July 11, 2009 at 11:09 PM

– If you believe Wes, you’ll have to believe Jake is a liar and is in on a big lie by the TV show.

– Wes admitted he told Jake he had a girlfriend – “she’s always going to be one of my girlfriends, always.” But he said it again to Jillian … and then paused, realizing what he said. How often does a guy say “my girlfriend” accidentally?

– Why did Wes thump Jake “hard as hell in the back of the head when Tanner spoke up” [Jake]?

– In the limo ride home, Wes said “my acting days are over.” (He now says he meant he was finished the TV show.) Watch the video and see what you think before changing your mind about Wes.

– Wes also said he was the “first bachelor to make it to the final 4 with a girlfriend.” He now claims he was being sarcastic and said more later — but watch the video. http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=youtube.com%20bachelorette%20wes%20limo%20ride# Look at his face to see if you believe he said it or was cut off …. he looks out the window. He goes on talking about how excited he is to go home to his band, his new single, a tour, etc. Do you think he was really being sarcastic or was he acting with bravado?

– He said “I’m gonna be true to myself…numero uno is most important here” while having his romantic dinner with a woman he is supposed to be falling in love with .. and trying to get her to choose him. Even if those words were said for some other reason .. he said them.

– He said he was just there for the fame and publicity; that he already made six shows … he did what he came to do. He claims this was the middle of a conversation explaining himself to the guys … but did he say it smugly or was he being cut off in the middle of a thought by the producers as he claims? How could the producers make him “look” like he meant what we hear him saying if he meant something else entirely?

– He not only said “I’ll be back home havin’ lots of sex” as if he would be happy if he was not selected, but Reid and Kip look surprised and disgusted at what he said. He now says all of them were talking about lack of sex; but at the rose ceremony? Wes was clearly not taking it seriously and wanted them to know he did not care.

– Plus, if it is all faked, why does Jillian believe it, too? She was there, and heard everything he said to her. She said “if you really were crazy about me then you would have come up to me and you would have kissed me at least once today.” She admitted “I knew there were MAJOR red flags with him.” Jillian truly believes Wes came on this show to promote himself and in the end she said she feels a little sorry for him. Is this an act, too?

The interviewer is clear he is out to undermine the show; he wants to believe Wes. He is not objective when he asks questions; he often put words in Wes’s mouth. Yes, last year’s show made Jason break up on TV … but they both admit they knew already. They did not edit words and misrepresent feelings. The viewing audience can see feelings.

Of course, the show is “scripted” to a degree — it’s a TV show, and they can’t show everything. They have to pick and choose what to show. But before you believe anything Wes says –watch the videotapes.

Remember … real relationships are formed; people move into other cities and continue relationships. They may not last, but they are real to them. Keep your minds open — don’t change your minds based on his after-the-show interview with someone who really needs damage control.

10. lithargic

July 12, 2009 at 2:15 AM

Amen Judy…you said it all!

11. Steffers2222

July 12, 2009 at 9:13 AM

Steve, were you chewing something during this interview? Did you listen to the final version? You need to “edit” yourself and get rid of the heavy breathing and chewing sounds…..It is repulsive!!!!

12. yer wan

July 12, 2009 at 9:53 AM

@ judyw
    Just a more magniloquent way of repeating what many of the toxic personalities who post here have already said.

13. girlwithmoxie

July 12, 2009 at 2:24 PM

I’m willing to give Wes a fair shake but in your interview, he caught himself in a contradiction. He said he stopped watching the show, didn’t see his elimination episode. Or stopped watching altogether. But then he talks in detail about the slicing of the elimination itself about what we saw and what happened.

He never once said, I like Jillian. He eludes to liking by saying “I would still be here until there’s nothing between us.” That’s not saying, “I liked her. I didn’t expect to like her. I’ll stay to see where it goes.”

I know the producers throw alcohol at these folks but c’mon, is being drunk ever a decent excuse for bad behavior?

I don’t think he’s a horrible guy or even a bad guy. I think it’s a combo of half-truths on both sides of the fence (the producers and the cast member).

Steve, be really careful how you interview. It was a soft interview with an agenda, and you prompted him more than once in your questions to set up a “bad edit” response. Nothing wrong with helping people get the story out, show folks what goes behind the scenes. But you’re actually taking away from his chance to face us and speak for himself. You do come across kissing ass and therefore, producing an equally subjective interview as the Chris Harrison’s blog.

14. Alyak

July 12, 2009 at 4:03 PM

judyw :

I agree with what you said 100%

I don’t believe all of what Wes is saying – he said his Sister signed him up, and that he and his manager would have done something different… but he said on the show his manager wanted him to do this and he agreed…

How was that edited?

He was talking about that time in Canada – I love how he remembered word for word exactly in the interview it sounds like he was reading a script he wrote to make sure it sounded write, I wouldn’t be surprised he got his Managers OK for that comment too.

Even if it wasn’t.. What he said about getting laid at the Rose Ceremony…

Yeah sure I’m sure they edited some stuff wrong, and they asked him to do stuff.. but it was his choice.

He said he wanted to walk off, he should have done it…
    He wasn’t ‘feeling it’ he should have just ended it at his home town.

If he really thought he could go into this and say what he said (edited or not) did what he did (edited or not) and come out smelling all rosy and selling tons of CD’s.

As for the fantasy suite – yeah he wanted to… even if he wasn’t into it or whatever – he is a man… and a man I’d never want to know and one I will NEVER buy a CD from.

This interview doesn’t change anything, sorry Wes… you blew it, you are an adult you will have to deal with it.

And calling Reid a retard, even joking, that isn’t even funny, it is ignorant.

I think it is funny he said he hasn’t watched Monday’s episode, but he knew how it was cut at the Rose Ceremony (he talked about them cutting up and about the music) when he said about getting laid… – what does this say?? If he is willing to lie about not watching (unless Steve edited this to put him in a bad light).. he is sure as heck going to lie about the things he said and did 10 times worse.
    He also talks about the spain ‘knowing name’ stuff and he said EXACTLY about a splice on that… yep he doesn’t lie… nope… Come on People!

I hope he didn’t go to the men tell all, if he does it just proves he wanted more publicity.

I think it is funny he bashed Trista, then went on to say he doesn’t bash people, then had to back peddle and say she is probably a nice person.. yada yada yada lol…

I do feel sorry for the guy, if he truly went into this with blinders on, it is a shame, but even so… he could have shown a little more respect toward Jill but dressing like a gentleman instead of a hick promoting he is a cowboy… I don’t think he is as bad as the extremist have gone, but I do think he screwed this whole thing up – they say there is no bad publicity… but…

Do I think he may have gotten some bad editing – sure
    Do I think he should have been more careful about his actions, knowing he needed to give himself a good image if he wanted this to be positive for his career – sure
    I think he is an adult and should have thought about what he was doing before doing it.
    He said he was very very careful about what came out of his mouth, yet there was a lot that came out of his mouth that was able to be edited to sound bad…

I may have been able to change my mind, had he not, in this interview – lied about watching Monday’s episode…
    He also said he wasn’t on here trying to promote CD sales, yet of course that is what it is about – clearing his name so people will buy/listen to his music. But he goes – I haven’t once mentioned CD sales, if I was here for that I would have – oh well you just did… LOL

ANYway… I’m not watching any more of this series, I watched Andy Baldwin, because I was in the Navy and he is hot. I watched Jason because I was laid off and didn’t have anything better to do (sad yes I know lol). I watched this because of Jill… but I’m done!

Oh and Steve, sorry man it sounds like Wes’ management or something paid you for this interview, because you aren’t being an objective interviewer and it would have been better if it was.

15. Alyak

July 12, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Bleh I thought I took all the quote stuff out… sorry about that entire thing being quoted the quote ended when I started saying —

I agree with what you said 100%

LOL bleh.. I didn’t want to quote the entire thing because it was to long… oh well..

16. Holly Wood

July 12, 2009 at 4:15 PM

I think Wes should become an entertainment correspondent. His Southern sayings are refreshing and totally not politically correct which I love!

17. Fla

July 12, 2009 at 4:36 PM

Does anyone know why I couldn’t get into the interview. I click on the Wes Hayden interview and it goes to no where. What am I doing wrong????

Thanks to anyone that can help me

18. Alyak

July 12, 2009 at 7:14 PM

Fla do you have Quicktime plugin installed?

I think that’s what it used.

19. Dianecg4

July 12, 2009 at 10:21 PM

I just listened to the whole Steve-Wes interview and my opinion has changed about Wes 999%, I liked Wes from day 1, will definatly buy his CD’s and I think he got screwed big time by the whole Batchlorette Show. I hope he has a wonderful career and Jillian has lost a great guy.

20. FriscoGirl

July 12, 2009 at 10:37 PM

I am one of those “new people” as opposed to a “TRUE / OLD SCHOOL follower” and while I have been visiting Steve’s blog for some time now, I have not “read this column FOREVER.” Just wanted to get that out of the way first.

Now, about Wes……….I have to say that I am a Texas girl through and through so by default, I’m already a fan of Wes. That’s just how we Texans roll. But, even if I wasn’t a Texan, I would have a hard time not believing Wes and trusting his sincerity during his interview. I think he was 100% genuine on the show as well as his interview with Steve. The difference is Steve asked him questions and allowed him to answer them without interruption and splicing.

It helps to understand more about Wes if you understand more about where he is from. Austin is, hands down, one of the coolest cities in the U.S. For those who haven’t been fortunate enough to visit Austin, (and yes, I did say fortunate enough) you will have a harder time understanding Wes. See………in Texas, especially Austin, judgments made towards people are few and far between. Austin is a city of authenticity, creativity, generosity, genuineness, substance, sincerity, integrity, and honesty. People are true to who they are. They are open, candid, and straightforward. I totally get that and understand where Wes is coming from. Having to defend yourself and your actions just doesn’t happen.

The atmosphere in Austin is also so much more laid back and relaxed than other cities. In fact, it’s kind of funny that Austin is a city because it really feels more like a small Texas town. Although Wes was aware that he was signing up for a reality TV show, I’m sure he hasn’t had to spend that much time during his life defending himself so he wasn’t in any way prepared for the way he would be portrayed on the show. It’s actually because of his openness and honesty that he was so easily manipulated by the producers of the show.

I believe that time will prove how inaccurate the portrayal of Wes on the Bachelorette really was. In the end, the truth always reveals itself. It’s how the truth is perceived by others that will determine their opinions.

21. FriscoGirl

July 12, 2009 at 11:39 PM

judyw :I signed up just to leave this comment. I am not sure why it did not show up, so just in case I did something wrong the 1st time, I’ll try again:

After that kind of portrayal wouldn’t you want to do some sort of damage control?

And your point is………

And your point is……….

Probably more than you think.

Because while on the show, Wes and Jake became good friends. By Tanner speaking up, it shows Wes that Jake shared with Tanner some things about Wes. Isn’t that called gossiping? And, isn’t that what girls do?

Are you serious! It’s called a sense of humor? Get one.

Does it really matter? He just got booted off of a show. I don’t think I would have been singin’ in the rain either.

It sounds like someone who is relieved to be “free” (or so he thought) from the absurdities of what he just lived through the past two months.

He sure did. And if memory serves, Jillian was the one who was so guarded last season on the Bachelor with Jason. And for the same reason Wes was…………she didn’t want to get her heart broken. Awwww…….

Editing can make pretty much make anyone say anything and look any way.

Did you listen to the interview? Did you hear the part about how Reid and Kip were actually laughing? Do you understand how editing works? Do you even know what editing is? In this case, it’s being in charge of the content of the show and removing, rearranging, and redoing parts of the footage in order to get a “better” outcome. So, do you also really think that during the rose ceremonies the roses are really given out in the order in which they are shown on the show? Why is it that you can believe what you see on TV, but not what you hear from some one’s own mouth?

I hardly think he put that much thought into caring about whether or not they cared. Have you ever heard how long the rose ceremonies actually are? In those many hours standing there waiting, I’m sure a lot worse things were actually said. Talking about sex or lack of sex is 1. probably the most talked about subject between guys and 2. a funny comment.

Well, I haven’t talked to Jillian today so I can’t answer this one for you!

This is coming from Jillian who last season said she went on the Bachelor for the adventure of it. The traveling and meeting other girls was fun too. She was skeptic from the beginning, not planning on falling in love at all. Her reason for going on the show….adventure, not love.

Hold on now……..I didn’t, in any part of the interview, hear Steve put words into Wes’s mouth. Also, Steve isn’t clear that he is out to undermine the show. He is out for the truth. If the truth undermines the show, well then that’s not really, oops, I mean Reality Steve now is it.

Hello? Hello McFly? The viewing audience sees what the producers want us to see.

Keep your minds open………..now this cracks me up. You are actually telling us to keep our minds open while you are making judgements about someone you don’t even know. Awwwww……..you got me. And here I was reading your post as if it was from a serious person. Too funny……….too funny I tell ya!

22. Joe

July 13, 2009 at 12:37 AM

There’s an excellent interview done by NPR with a former Bachelor producer thats tell all. The interview pretty much confirms what Steve, Brady, and Wes have been saying about how the show is fake. Check out the text of the interview at..

23. ls

July 13, 2009 at 5:11 AM

I have a family member in that specific industry (an has worked on many shows like this–once, on the Bachelor) and so I know how they cast people–just like how this interview explains. I should say that there are many reality shows with great producers who really have integrity. But then there are those like said 25 year old producers who try to act like your friend and then stab you in the back. They ask a specific question with the hopes of getting sound bytes they can use however they like. Wes’ undoing was the fact that he had never really seen the show and didn’t know what he was getting into–and then didn’t act self-consciously. It’s silly to think that they’re making a documentary. This is a soap opera and we’re the suckers to think it’s anything else (it makes the stagedness that is AI pale in comparison). The sad thing is that they’re messing with people’s lives.

I think that you need to do a write-up on the highlights of this interview–it was super interesting but so long–I keep seeing people’s comments elsewhere who are listing to 2 minutes and then making their judgments. It would be WAY WAY easier for people to blog on or post, and would make more of a difference in a way. I do realize that part of the thing about the audio phoner is that you get a real sense of what Wes’ personality really is like and his straightforward sincerity. I mean, some of the things he says are priceless-particularly how well he speaks of people like Jake, Reid, even Dave; or how the guys actually got along decently; how the reaction shots were rarely chronological; etc. And then some of the details about how they’re sequestered (i.e. even the part about not being able to call his ill grandmother). I find it interesting that you’re linked by the EW editor/writer who does the recaps–yet she, a professional, reacts to the show as if it’s a documentary. Bizarre…

24. sallysuejenkins

July 13, 2009 at 6:45 AM

steve or anyone…do you know if wes did the MEN TELL ALL on Saturday?

25. ann_j

July 13, 2009 at 7:34 AM

sallysue: apparently he did not attend the MTA

26. MelanieNicole09

July 13, 2009 at 10:31 AM

I need help listening to the interview. I downloaded it, but it only gave me the first 30 seconds.

27. MelanieNicole09

July 13, 2009 at 10:36 AM

I’m needing help listening to the interview. I downloaded it, but only got the first 30 seconds of it.

28. sallysuejenkins

July 13, 2009 at 10:54 AM

thanks for the info, ann_j

29. JenyP

July 13, 2009 at 11:27 AM

Steve – I am one of those that didn’t care for Wes in the beginning (although the dude is HOT) but what a great interview! I completely feel differently about him after listening to your interview. What a nice sincere guy. Thanks for showing us what its all about. Now I wish he wasn’t gone because I love him! Thanks Steve! Love your site!

30. aimeenp

July 13, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Great job Steve. This Wes interview has gotten more comments than any other posting in a while. Almost reminiscent of the Jason season. Whether people agree or disagree, you really got people going…and I think that is kind of what this blog is all about.

PS. Regardless of whether Wes is a saint or a jerk, if you have half a brain, you would understand that he really got the shaft in the editing department. He signed up for reality tv but not to have his words totally twisted around to the point where they barely even make sense. People should leave the guy alone. And it is just sad and down right scary that Laurel is getting so much grief for this. People need to get a life if they are calling her private number…that is just creepy.

31. JulieJ

July 13, 2009 at 12:42 PM

Thanks Steve! I hope this sheds light on the amazing things editing can do. I’ve always felt sorry for Wes, as anyone in their right mind could see he was being portrayed in an unfair light. To those who say, “well you can’t edit what comes out of his own mouth” I admire you. Please tell me how to move into “la la land”. Some act as if they’ve never had anything they’ve said taken out of context. It’s a television show people. Come on, get your heads out of your behinds!

Love you Wes!! Yummy!

32. Alyak

July 13, 2009 at 1:19 PM

Everyone who says they changed their mind about Wes in this interview – have you totally missed where he said he hadn’t watched the last Monday episode (where he did not receive the rose) – yet he was able to, on multiple occasions – specifically say how they edited him incorrectly.

He lied about watching it, unless Steve had an editing problem as well.

Again I am not saying the show is not at fault for horrible and negative editing, however, thinking this guy is 100% sincere is a mistake, and one I am not falling for.

I do feel sorry for him, but he had a choice not to do this, and he had a choice to walk away, and he had a choice to not say things that could be used to incriminate him.

I will be interested to see what the guys say about this in the MTA episode.

I’d love to hear other guys back Wes up.. I still won’t buy his CD’s (I don’t think he has that great of a voice, sorry dude) but at least I will be able to change my negative image of him.

33. TexFan

July 13, 2009 at 1:22 PM

Thank you for interviewing him. You have always said ABC was great at editing. If I were Wes I’d sue!! I have totally changed my opinion of him.

34. jennagr

July 13, 2009 at 1:36 PM

I listened to the whole interview even though it was so long I had to do in segments. I had thought it was edited but not to the extent Wes said. I believe him though and if I were him I’d be angry also. I think Wes probably was one of the first who couldn’t be totally controlled.
    I would have liked to hear more of his take on Ed and what he though would happen with Ed.

35. julia

July 13, 2009 at 1:51 PM

How is Wes able to give you all this information without getting into trouble? I mean he’s basically saying that everything about this show is fake…which obviously isn’t going to sit well with ABC.

All in all he still shouldn’t have been there for this long if he wasn’t feeling Jillian..and no matter what he says, he wasn’t feeling her.

We all know this show is not 100% real and I doubt anyone’s life is affected by the choices Jillian Harris makes..I dont understand why weeks after weeks we have to have these interviews that try to state the obvious..well duh it’s edited..would you really want to watch Jillian and Reid walk around Spain for hours? I’ll pass. ABC has got to give us drama and entertainment..this is all well known for everyone..this show has been going on for how many years now? You sign up to be a contestant for this show and you automatically give ABC the power to manipulate your character, case closed. So i dont feel bad for anyone that goes on “reality tv.” Can we get back to the funny and sarcastic recaps I once loved?

36. chancelucky

July 13, 2009 at 2:41 PM

A couple things about Wes’s interview don’t seem quite right. He’s been friends with Jeremy Anderson for 20+ years and dated Laurel Kagay for 3 years and sees her regularly. Laurel Kagay also dated Brad Womack who at that point was maybe the most “edited” Bachelor yet. Wes claims “I knew nothing about the show or how they do this stuff”, Steve if you are playing journalist here, “Did you ask the question?” If not, why not? None of these three people warned him in any way? IN the meantime, Laurel’s just happened to have dated 3 different guys who’ve been on the show.

Second, he’s been in music for his entire adult life and keeps “dickering” with the producers. Does he ever insist either on his own or through his agent (since they really really wanted a musician on the show) that they promise to let him play a song all the way through while he’s on the show and that it get broadcast? Why didn’t the question get asked in the interview? Again, I point out that Wes as an entertainer knows something about negotiating and how interviews get hacked up all the time, or should.

Finally, the guys noticeably mean-spirited about several of the people who were on the show with him. Somehow, they too weren’t duped by the producers in the same way he was? Does the interviewer step forward to defend them a little or just play devil’s advocate?

Is it possible that Mike Fleiss isn’t the only guy trying to spin things? I’m sure that Wes Hayden did get edited beyond recognition, but some of the pieces that don’t appear so edited aren’t real pretty either.

37. scrabble

July 13, 2009 at 3:05 PM

I realize that many people have claimed similar things before under the anonymity of a message board, but, here I go anyway…the first Bachelor/ette season I ever watched was Trista’s season. Soon after it ended, I met up with an old co-worker who, when I said I’d watched the show, commented about the scripted nature of the franchise. She had a friend who worked on the show who told her that Trista knew rather early on that she wanted to choose Ryan, but was told to keep going with production as planned. That’s the extent of what she told me–so I don’t have any details of manipulation or dark secrets.

38. Jordan

July 13, 2009 at 4:15 PM

Do any of you possibly think Wes was honest when he said he did not watch his elimination show but was TOLD by others what happened? HUH? Maybe that’s a possibility? Come on people. Put on your thinking caps! He probably has read the 100 articles about that show and he got a pretty clear picture of how they edited what he really said. He could have a great idea of how things went down w/o ever having had watched the actual episode.

39. FriscoGirl

July 13, 2009 at 4:41 PM

@Jordan

My thoughts exactly! Well said!

40. poohbear8241

July 13, 2009 at 5:03 PM

I’m sorry, but I’m not buying it ONE bit! I think he will say/do ANYTHING it takes to make himself look better!!! I’m sure some editing is done, but to that extent? Give me a break! Wes is a jerk and I will NEVER buy anything that has to do with him! It’s his own fault that he made bad publicity instead of good on the show! Serves him right!!!!!

41. Patti

July 13, 2009 at 6:19 PM

Hope all you loser Wes lovers saw Extra tonight ….they called him liar and alot more names..lol…And Jillian even said bad things about him. So, like I’ve said, and it’s even on a network show..he’s a lying scumbag, low life, trialer park trash SOB! He won’t sell any CD’s except to the fools on here who think he’s a decent guy.

42. Patti

July 13, 2009 at 6:25 PM

The truth about the liar came out on Extra show tonight! lol…Wes fans should put a bag over their head or hide.

43. Small_Peanut

July 13, 2009 at 6:32 PM

Hello Scrabble – agree with the below. PLUS ABC in general has thrown her a few money making bones I.e. Dancing w/the Stars as an example. They made at “least” a million between the show and other endorsements/deals. Why wouldn’t she be loyal? Same with Chris, he has his job to protect.

You wrote: Regarding Trista and her banter with Jeremy, Trista has reaped much from her time as the Bachelorette, indcluding an over-the-top wedding. I don’t know her nor do I intend to question her character, but it is logical that she might feel some loyalty to The Bachelorette franchise…or at least be required to express loyalty.
    Also, I love how people trash someone like Wes based on how his character was spliced via editing. Just like Michael Jackson, for years no one gave a rats you know what, now that he’s gone everyone seems to love him more than when he was alive. They believe the rumors and hated him but now are thinking, hmmmm, maybe he was a cash cow so these greedy parents went after him (even an article came out where one of the boys claimed he was told to say those things).

Don’t believe everything you read until you meet them in person, because you don’t know them “PERIOD”….. so all the haters should ask themselves why they feel so much hatred for someone they have never met and probably never will. Seems some people like to bitch so they do! Very strange.

44. lorik

July 13, 2009 at 6:46 PM

BEFORE I read this column and listened to the interview with Wes, I told my sister that there is no way it is not edited. No one, no one, no one would be on this show past the first night and say such stupid things. No way. And I was so right. I think I would rather read funny commntary about this “reality” show that is my entertainment rather than an interview that restates what I already know. Just be funny and make me laugh. Laughter is better than knowing the inside scoop.

45. poddington

July 13, 2009 at 6:58 PM

I wonder if Wes was sought out b/c they wanted a musician role, or who knows maybe he even pitched it to the show. He had plenty of in’s (Brad, , even the girlfriend). Then maybe Wes got demanding about playing his song, and he maybe refused to be the producers Bitc*. They got angry and decided to screw him over. I have a hard time believing there are not 2 sides to this story. Sure the producers are sleazy as hell. While not nearly as evil as portrayed, my guess is Wes fancies himself as pretty slick and thought he could do some schmoozing and manipulating. He just did not know who he was messing with.

46. Dave

July 13, 2009 at 7:51 PM

WHO’s Show was it? ABC or Wes?

False EDITING would be something you claim if you were a rookie or were new to the biz. “Wes is more than qualified to handle himself with 14 yrs in the biz now.” Sounds like a Liar to me?

Before this bachelorette season was even over, Wes already had his website all layed out with Promo pics and Video comments about Jill and the song and the dedication plaques to himself for himself ALREADY made up Wayyyyy Ahead of time for the day he would Exit-stage-left. That’s the cue to the web guy to Post everything.

STEEEEEEVE!!! SOUNDS LIKE a cover-up dude!! Right?

Unfortunately, Cover up would mean it wasn’t pre-meditated!! DUDE, HE GOT YOU!!

Anybody disagree it wasn’t Totally Pre-meditated?

47. Dave

July 13, 2009 at 8:11 PM

Was he there for the girl or himself?

Editing hierarchy. The ABC show or the Wes Show?

Wes claims they pulled a fast one. However, when you have 14 years in the biz, like Wes does, you can’t claim ignorance.

FACT: Even before this bacholorette season was over, Wes already had his web-site layed out and Pre-planned where the video interviews and pics were going to be placed (ie: Pre-meditated). Everything was just waiting for the day he would exit-stage-left. This was the cue for him to POST everything for all his Fans to see.

Steve, dude, we call this a cover-up. I think he got you dude!!

Actually, I reserve the right to re-edit, and because it was actually Pre-Meditated it’s just an outright LIE!

Does anyone think Wes’s plan was NOT premeditated?

48. ilovejill

July 13, 2009 at 10:27 PM

Patti –
    I don’t know you nor have I ever met you but you seem like a total narrow-minded loser. You have no life. You believe all of these Hollywood shows. LOSER.
    Now you know what it’s like to be judged. You must feel better about yourself when you continuously call Wes names when you have no idea what you’re talking about. Get a life.

49. Patti

July 13, 2009 at 11:36 PM

IloveJill…why don’t you got fuck yourself, since you are a fan of the loser Wes? Free country, screw you, you little twit.

50. petuniap

July 14, 2009 at 3:35 AM

Why is Reality Steve a Wes apologist/kissass and a TB hater? Because RS stumbled onto something last year…writing a snarky little blog that people read about the Bachelor is fun. Writing a blog that “exposes” the show as evil is way better! I can’t even imagine the power rush that RS must have gotten last year when the news orgs picked up his story. And to continue that rush, he has to go further and further. You need look no further than the glee that he displays every time Chris Harrison makes a passing reference to him. The attention has him salivating! I get it, RS. To get this kind of attention from a show you’ve been following for years is heady. Now he is ever seeking bigger and badder ways to piss off the producers. So his blog is about spoilers (casually dropped with no warning for people that happen to get here and are checking it out of curiosity), and getting ex-bachelors/bachelorettes to “spill”. I sincerely hope Wes violated his contract with that snowjob interview and gets sued over it. Not because I believe his “edit” but because as stephlk74b says….WHO CARES?

RS…is this really the big achievement of your life? Wow. SMH.