The Bachelorette 6 - Ali

Bachelorette 6 Recap – 7/19/10 Including The Truth Behind Frank’s Exit

As for the Frank stuff, since we all knew what was coming, I’ll just run down my thoughts more quickly from his time in Tahiti:

-I love how he went to Chris Harrison for advice. Like that guy has anything to do with this show other than showing up for rose ceremonies or telling people when the date cards are showing up. I guess they felt Chris needed to actually earn the cake they are paying him to steer this train right off the tracks, so they brought him as Dr. Chris Harrison with a PhD in Relationship Psychology. Barf.

-If Frank had already made up his mind to go back to Nicole, what exactly was he asking Chris anyway? To talk him out of it? To see if there was a way he could escape the island through a submarine like Sawyer, Kate, and Juliet tried? That whole talk was rather pointless. I guess they needed time to fill and felt the audience needed to see more of Chris in a teal shirt from Old Navy.

-At least Frank admitted to being an overanalyzer. I guess he and I have something in common then. Well, that and we both hated being in retail.

-I love how Chris tells Frank, “You know, not to reveal too much of what Ali and I talk about privately, but, she’s crazy about you man.” Way to keep a secret Dr. Chris. Aren’t you breaking doctor-patient confidentiality agreements by saying that? Keep your private conversations with Ali just that – private. Frank’s head checked out of this game a long time ago. No sense in trying to reel him back in.

-After Frank leaves and Ali’s a crying, hysterical, mascara-running mess, she heads down to the beach to sit under a tree because, well, that’s where the producers told her to go. And lo behold, Mr. Shoulder To Cry On Chris Harrison comes strolling her. “There, there my sweet child. It’s ok. Let it all out.” Boy, Chris really earned his paycheck last night. He was everywhere. Offering no advice to Frank, letting Ali use his shirt as a Kleenex – great job, Chris!

-I think Frank and Ali’s conversation last night definitely proved one thing: Ali cared a lot for him. I’m sorry, she’s not an actress. You can’t pull off that type of emotion and heartbreak if you didn’t care for the guy. No way, no chance, no how. She was pretty beaten up over him leaving at the time. As I said, I’m sure she’s over it now as she should be, but in that moment, yeah, it was obvious how much she cared for him. And I think Frank cared for her too – just not as much as Nicole. Frank will get beaten up today by all the hopeless romantics, but I thought he did what he thought was the right thing to do at the time. Can’t fault him for that. And if he ends up marrying Nicole someday, then everyone cursing him will look like idiots. So for that, I hope he does.

-Just like Ali last night complimenting both Chris and Roberto as the greatest guys ever, and she could see herself with them, and blah blah blah. When she doesn’t choose them, what are people gonna say then? Hell, even if she did choose one over the other, people will say, “Well, then why did you say that about so-and-so and then dump him?” Happens every season. When these people sit down for their ITM’s, and the question posed to them is, “Tell us everything you love about being with Chris/Roberto/Frank”, and her answer is full of compliments, then of course that’s what they’re gonna show. Do you honestly think at this stage in the process they’re gonna show us Ali talking about the negatives of these guys? No. It’s all positive. Oh this guy will be the best husband. Oh I can see myself with him forever. Oh my time with him is magical and we have such a great connection. It’s a television show. She has two guys left. So don’t be fooled by the soundbites and things you hear come out of these people’s mouths. You hear what they want you to hear, and the reason everything is so complimentary is because they’re just answering what they’re being asked.

-I mean, Chris Lambton is a great guy based on everything we heard from Ali, right? She’s done nothing but basically sing the guy’s praises for nine weeks. Well, in the finale she’s going to send him home. Obviously there will be a reason she tells him why, yet, we haven’t heard that reason yet. Why? Because they don’t want you to think anything’s wrong with the guy. Nine weeks of gushing about the guy, then all of Chris Lambton’s minions will be devastated come two weeks from now when Ali doesn’t choose him because of whatever reason she says. They’ll be screaming “How can you let him go! What’s wrong with her? Why did she never mention this before?” I can hear it already.

-But that’s the nature of this show. That’s why I don’t understand why people get so worked up at the end when their favorite goes home. And believe me, there will be a giant uproar when Chris gets sent packing two Mondays from now. That guy can do no wrong in most hopeless romantics eyes and they will be steaming come the finale. Sure, Roberto is well liked also, but I haven’t seen this much hysteria over a guy probably ever when it’s come to this show, and that’s saying something. However, just for fun, if you switched storylines and Roberto was the one who moved back home for his mom who ended up dying, then the hysteria would be for him, and I guarantee people wouldn’t be as fanatical about Chris as they are now. Take away his mom storyline, and I’m guessing most people would just think of him as a cool, regular guy and not obsessed with his happiness as they are right now. People just love underdogs, and basically that’s what Chris has become. Damn. I should be a psychologist.

1. swamp witch

July 23, 2010 at 2:00 AM

I forgot to mention that I think Ali is stunning even though she has, indeed, put on a few pounds. I do get tired of her laughing at every inane comment, but she probably does it to keep sane.

I don’t know where people get off saying Chris or any of the others are too good for Ali. It sounds like the green monster of jealousy rearing its ugly head. None of us know her, and there is no way we can know what she is really like from this farcical show.

2. realitybytes

July 23, 2010 at 7:09 AM

I’m actually surprised no one has mentioned this one yet:
    Frank = Woody Allen
    ick.

3. chelly-chan

July 23, 2010 at 7:20 AM

“Stunning” is not a word I would use for Ali’s looks. She is “cute” in a Doris Day sort of way.
    She has an odd nose and not the best mouth. Now GIA – I thought her looks were STUNNING.
    Gia is also very feminine which Ali is not. Ali is like a tomboy. Maybe this tomboy aspect appeals to many men but I think most men prefer feminine women.

4. Lucetto

July 23, 2010 at 9:51 PM

Good for you KBO !!! Hopefully Chris is reading this blog and saying : hum, where can I get that beer ???
    On another note, just a question, did Reality Steve say they were filming the after the final rose ceremony on saturday ? I thought it was tape live after we see the last episode on tv???

5. LetsBowl

July 24, 2010 at 4:44 AM

I apologize if you’ve answered this before, but is it part of the contract or a production rule that everyone has to say “I’m falling in love with Bachelor/Bachelorette?” B/c EVERYONE says that. Do they just do that so if they get dumped, they don’t have to look back on saying they were “in love” or so they don’t feel like they were lying about being in love, or what? Because I am happily “in love” with my boyfriend, and I never once told him I was “falling in love” with him when we were getting to that “in love” point. What’s up with that?

6. Fergie

July 24, 2010 at 8:48 AM

I agree with Sunnyside, MindyM, and LatinLover. Roberto looks and humbleness is refreshing. I’ll take him sweat and all! Sunnyside comments are identical to what I think. Just to add a few more comments … I am still hopeful Ali picked Roberto and R. Steve winning streak of being dead on point has ended as far as the actual ending of who Ali picks or if she picks anyone at all. I have seen a couple of interviews with Ali and she of course is very tight lip with what happens at the end of the Rose Ceremony. She flirts with all of the possibilities even the one that she picks no one. That possibility is too close to her telling the world and breaching her contract though. When Ali was interviewed on “Ellens” show she came out with pep in her step smiling like someone in love to me. Actually during all the interviews I’ve seen she appears happy. Ali lit up in the presence of Roberto and I believe her feelings may have been more than just physical. I read on Ali’s comments on the Bacherlorette that her FS with Roberto they talked, “just talked” until early morning then they snuck out and went to her place on the island. That maybe where the real deal happened if at all.

Had Frank stayed in the game, I believe it would have came down to Frank and Roberto. Considering how giddy Ali is around Roberto, I believe she would have picked Roberto in the end. Roberto (unfamiliar and she’s not use to) unless she coward out and would have picked Frank in the end who was familiar and safe (that’s exactly what Frank did when he went back to Nichole, he started getting terrified when he kept seeing Ali kissing different guys). Ali is adventusome so that’s why I say she would have picked Roberto (At lease I am hoping she would have been smart enough to do so).

Steve, I am still hoping that the show planted some boguss plants out there to give you just enough accurate info except the end. Oh and by the way, I too am hoping sweet Chris L. is the next bachelor on a quest with 25 women then we’ll get to see another side of him we didn’t really get a chance to see because we were consume with his grievence.

P.S.: Whatever the final ending on August 2 … we’ll get to see if Ali picked love and family or once again her career.

7. MindyM

July 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM

I dislike it when people assume that other women are jealous if they say that Chris and Roberto are too good for Ali. What makes anyone think that comments has to do with looks? Some people really get touchy here when it comes to being protective of someone they do not even know. Chill out!

This is not about looks or being jealous of Ali! I am much older than her, so it’s not like we are in a competition. I just see what I see, that’s all. She seems very immature, superficial and totally not ready to settle down. I have no problem with her looks. She is a pretty girl, more like a Doris Day type as a few have pointed out. Roberto certainly seems to be attracted to her and so does Chris! I question her judgement for falling for a nerdy, insecure, neurotic guy like Frank! Here she has two quality guys in Roberto and Chris, and she breaks down sobbing because pathetic Frank wants to run back to his safety net, otherwise known as Nicole? Come on! She has a lot of growing up to do!

kbo,

Thanks for your kind words. You have had a similar experience to Chris and live near him, so one never knows! I am sure you are one of many who have come to love this guy. I don’t get annoyed by Chris talking about his mother, because that’s normal. I lost my father two and half years ago, but he lived to get old and had a full life. It was still difficult. It is always hard to lose a parent, no matter when it happens. Steve loves to tease people about becoming so invested in this show and the people involved, but I can see how it happens. We identify with them and what they have been through in life. We do get emotionally invested, because it’s life being played out right before our eyes. Even if it is manipulated and all that we see is not real, we are still drawn into the intrigue and drama. That’s why this show is still around.

I hope you find your happiness, whether you meet up with Chris or another great guy.

While some are hoping that TPTB have found a way to fool Steve, I just don’t see it happening. If I didn’t already know the spoilers, I would think that Ali chooses Roberto. They have this intense attraction that is definitely real. I can see her connection with Chris, but not the kind of physical heat she has with Roberto. Now, that doesn’t always make for a lasting relationship, but it’s a good start!

The bottom line is that I have no reason to doubt Steve’s sources at this point. They haven’t been wrong yet, so until they are I will have to accept the fact that in the end Ali is single. As Steve said, how she gets there is something that we will have to watch to find out.

8. CaSurfLady

July 24, 2010 at 2:12 PM

I want to know what man she does pick. and Why she let Ty

9. RUBYDOG

July 24, 2010 at 9:12 PM

Gonna keep this short and sweet…
    -Thrilled to be posting on Reality Steve’s Hallowed Ground… .”long time follower, first time “speaker upper,” so to speak…
    -Really don’t get the Frank bashing… Quirky? yes. Someone compared him to Woody Allen like that was a bad thing. Sure, he married his adopted stepdaughter, but before that he was fucking hilarious and he still is a brillian director. I’ll bet 98% of you would put “sense of humor” as the most attractive quality you’re looking for…(I remember Jillian did… and Tristan got a hoot out of Bob…) if not, then thanks for leaving the Franks of the world for people like me…
    -I think Frank was very honest with his exit. I believe RS that he wanted to go earlier. When he was allowed to say his good byes, I think he did it with integrity.
    That’s all. I love this web site and the postings. And whoever turned me on to “Eudie Tuesday,” thank you for that!Don’t really care how this all ends, although I am dreading watching Chris be hurt… My dream is to live on Cape Cod, but I’m married… Otherwise…

10. CS1972

July 24, 2010 at 9:59 PM

@LetsBowl: As far as I know, the Bachelor/ette (Ali, Jake, etc.) can’t say certain things to the contestants, definitely anything related to “falling in love”. I’m pretty sure it’s in their contract, because when the “choice” is made, the Bachelor/ette sometimes says something like “I can finally tell you now, I love you” or whatever. Now as far as the contestants, I guess they can say what they want… I think… didn’t Chris say “I love you” when they were rolling in the grass? I don’t know. I just know the Bach/ette can’t say certain things.

11. MindyM

July 25, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I also had another comment for those who have been critical of Ali for being so upset that Frank left her for his ex-girlfriend. In their eyes, Ali leaving on Jake’s season for her job is pretty much the same thing! I do not agree! It’s one thing for someone to leave because of work, but quite another to leave for a girlfriend/boyfriend. As it happens, I never really believed that Ali left Jake for her job. I thought it was all a clever ploy on behalf of TPTB to set her up to find true happiness as the next Bachelorette.

What some people also seem to forget is the premise of the show. It’s up to the bachelor/bachelorette to do the choosing. Those who are vying for his/her affections are supposed to be doing so in good faith, not with a backup girlfriend waiting at home in the wings. I have no idea why Frank went on the show, but I do believe that it had nothing whatsoever to do with finding real love. If he wanted to leave sooner because of his feelings for his girlfriend, then maybe he should have found a way to do it or read the fine print in the contract before he signed on the dotted line.

I don’t think Frank has integrity, is even witty or funny or even remotely appealing. I will gladly leave him for other women. Good luck Nicole! I think he was stupid, selfish, clumsy and unbearably neurotic the whole time he was on the show. I don’t hate him, because he’s not worth the energy. Hopefully, he will now find a real job, maybe manage to get some connections from his stint on the show so that he can actually become a screenwriter and quickly fade into obscurity. At least he made some money going so far on the show, so in his eyes it wasn’t a total loss.

I will just never understand how Ali could have taken Frank seriously and allowed herself to be devastated by his leaving. Frank would never have a chance against Roberto and Chris and even he knew it! So he made the safe choice. God bless and good riddance.

I also think that we should not think that we really know Roberto and Chris. As appealing as they appear to be, we haven’t met them and had a real conversation with either of them. No one is perfect. In that sense, I think Steve is right when he says that people become hugely invested in these people, as they we really know them. Roberto and Chris are two of the most popular, most well-liked bachelors ever to grace this show and that is quite an accomplishment. If we saw them in real life, we might not put them on a pedestal.

I think everyone is going to come out of this just fine. People shouldn’t worry about Chris, because he has gotten his feet wet in the dating scene, even if it was in front of millions of viewers. Now he can move on and eventually find real love. Roberto has his own career goals, is confident and grounded and will definitely have no problem attracting tons of women. Ali will get her shot at a career in show biz. So all’s well that ends well!

12. salina30

July 26, 2010 at 8:36 PM

Just listened to your interview on Olivia Wilder Times… great interview! You are so right though, I never really watch the show any more I just come straight to your site and read it. I love how you input your opinion and tell exactly the way it goes down. Truly an unrealistic show and I’m glad you’re able to show people that. Keep it up!

13. TravelGuy

July 26, 2010 at 9:10 PM

Steve…I just have to say THANK YOU for doing your recaps. My wife loves the show. Me? Never liked it. Alas, I live in a loft so there is no escaping when the show is on. However, while she watches I crank up the tunes in the headphones and read your blog. Why follow your blog if I can’t stand the show? Because your take and humor on the ridiculousness of the show is GREAT and I find myself cracking up several times while reading each post. Keep up the great work!!

14. d.kraker

July 27, 2010 at 5:36 PM

Hi, I’ve just started reading your blog, but have watched every Bachelor/ette show. It’s getting worse every year. When watching The Men Tell All last night, they showed bloopers of the show. The guys and Ali were themselves. They were not robots. It was hilarious when Ali saw the rat. Why can’t they show things like that? That’s what I would like to see throughout the whole season, people just being themselves. Everyone says the exact same thing every year. If I hear “amazing” one more time, well, I don’t know what I might do. Anyway, keep up the good work.