The Bachelorette 6 - Ali

Bachelorette 6 Recap – 7/26/10 Including News & Notes Regarding the MTA, Finale, & ATFR

-I didn’t think anything was too damaging regarding what the guys said about Frank last night. If calling someone “selfish” is the worst they could come up with, then I’m guessing the guy can handle that. However, what really killed me was what Chris said when he was talking to Kirk.

Chris: “So Frank actually said, ‘I’m going to marry one of these girls,’ I mean, how does somebody get to that point?”

What? Hey Chris, in case you haven’t noticed, isn’t that basically the premise of your whole freakin’ show??!!! For 20 seasons, the Bachelor/ette gets to the point where they have two guys/girls to choose from and ultimately get engaged to. Not to mention the fact that numerous they’ve been quoted as saying they’re falling in love with more than one person. Yet Frank says and does essentially the same exact thing and you find it impossible to believe? Really? Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. Unbelievable. Frank chose Nicole over Ali. It’s as simple as that. Last season, Ali chose her job over Jake. For Chris to sit there on his high horse and make it seem like what Frank did was completely illogical makes no sense on any level considering the premise of this show.

-Frank has nothing to accomplish by ever appearing on this show again. I mean, why? Ali’s moved on, he’s moved on, and hell, even the guys from the show have moved on about it. ABC wanted to bring Frank back for ratings, for Ali to ask him all these deep, hard hitting questions, and the guy wanted no part of it. For what? So people could continue to crucify him? It makes all the sense in the world for ABC to want to bring him back for the “ATFR” show (ratings), and, it makes all the sense in the world for Frank not to want to be a part of it. When Chris said that a week ago during the taping that Frank “would be back here next week”, he didn’t know Frank would cancel on them. That’s why I’m surprised editing left that in there. They could’ve easily taken that out. But why Chris continued to run with it in his blog today just shows that ABC’s hype machine is in full force. Sure, it’d make good television to see Ali and Frank on stage together for the first time since Tahiti, so of course they’re gonna play it up. Too bad they’re never gonna get it.

-I still find it weird we are six days away from the finale and we have yet to see one clip in the previews of Ali at the final rose ceremony with Chris or Roberto. Not one picture of her standing there with either guy, and not even a shot of either guy walking towards her. Could mean a lot. Could mean nothing. Just know I can’t remember that ever happening in the history of this show. Personally if it were me, and I were in charge of this show, even though they already did it once during Byron’s season, for the next “Bachelor”, I’d have Chris and Roberto there on the first night and have the women choose who they wanted. These are probably the two most liked final two this franchise has ever had, and as far as the viewing audience, I don’t think they’d be hugely disappointed if either got the nod. Sure, some people like one over the other, but the response to both of them has been mostly positive, that I don’t see how it’d be a bad thing to go that way. Byron was back in season six. It’ll have been eight seasons since they’ve done the two “Bachelors” idea, so I think it would work. But hey, that’s just me. What do I know?

-As for Ali, considering the last two seasons of “Dancing with the Stars” has cast someone from this show, I would not be the least bit surprised if she’s on next season. The cast is close to being announced, she’s already said she’d love to do it, and it’s not like they wouldn’t mind keeping one of their franchise’s names out there for a little while longer. Hell, maybe they’ll cast Roberto too since we all know he likes to dance. And play baseball. Did you know that? I didn’t know if you were aware. Just thought I’d tell you.

-Regarding Justin not being at the Men Tell All, I can only say that I’m sure it was for the same reasons Wes had. ABC was going to make sure the story they’ve portrayed all along was the story that would get out. Justin would not be able to say the things he’s been saying in interviews and statements he’s released. And he knew that, which is why he didn’t bother showing up. Ali and Chris can say all they want about, “Well him not showing up here really says a lot about the guy”, but they’re just sticking to a storyline. Justin has plenty to answer to, trust me. The guy is not a saint by any means. But going on THAT show, in THAT forum, would have made him look worse, not better. So I applaud the guy for not using that forum to get his story out. I’m still working on that interview. I honestly think there’s a good chance it could happen soon. Stay tuned.

1. quesara

July 27, 2010 at 10:50 AM

Craig was so annoying last night, he could not shut up!
    Where was “big hair” Craig?
    Funniest moment of the whole season…The Phantom!!! Chris N. was hilarious and it is nice to see he actually has a personality! 2nd funniest moment…Chris L. and whoever else putting Craig’s hand in water to make him piss himself while he was sleeping! Priceless.
    Not happy to hear Kirk was making out with and/or dating Jessi 🙁 He seems way too nice for a cheap famewhore like that! I was thinking he could be the next bachelor, so sweet and he does have a hot bod. When will they announce the next bachelor, at ATFR???

2. mja

July 27, 2010 at 10:51 AM

Didn’t watch the Men Tell All last night, because it figured to be boring… but I flipped to ABC at the very end, and saw the promos for the Bachelor Pad. They made it look like trash TV at its finest. I don’t usually watch extremely trashy reality shows, but this one may be an exception.

Steve, good luck with the matchmaker thing. Did you think about having the women submit videos of themselves? That would be even better than photos. I’m too old for you (and am not the cougar type), so won’t be sending in anything.

Don’t know if anybody here has watched Millionaire Matchmaker on Bravo? That is an entertaining show, and she actually has some success in getting people together. She really has a good sense of who might be compatible. Too bad the only clients she takes are rich, though.

3. quesara

July 27, 2010 at 10:52 AM

P.S. Good luck Steve on your dating venture! You seem like a great catch to me!
    If I was single and lived in TX, I would go for it!

4. KathyZ

July 27, 2010 at 11:26 AM

As always thanks for the entertaining and informative write-up. Good luck in your search. Hope you meet someone really nice to share your life with.

5. Penthe

July 27, 2010 at 11:36 AM

Very interesting post, ty.

6. CaliGirl

July 27, 2010 at 11:39 AM

I couldn’t wait to read your blog today, Steve. I can’t wait to laugh at Chris Harrison next week if/when we see that Frank was indeed a no-show at the ATFR show.

Also, I am hoping that the rumors circulating out there about you being “Fleissed” are untrue, and that your sources came through with accurate information.

7. gmarino

July 27, 2010 at 11:46 AM

My opinion is that “they” will definitely “make sure” Frank will appear to justify their credibility and attempt to crush your credibility!. We’ll see next week if I’m right

8. Sunnyside422

July 27, 2010 at 11:58 AM

The guys did look a bit wasted and for sure were loose tongued! I’m sooo disappointed in Kirk going after Jessie! Not a pretty girl at all…kinda reminded me of Nicole that poor girl with the huge, huge nose! Say what you will about Ali, she is a heck of a lot cutter than Nicole ever could be! But love is blind…or so I’ve heard!

Good luck with the dating thing. I hope you sincerely find someone and remember (as my mom always said), beauty is only skin deep. Now I’m not suggesting you date a real dog such as Vienna, but common, give all the girls a chance. Love makes everyone beautiful.

Wonder when the new Bachelor will be announced? My money is on Roberto…if he indeed accepts and why not. Romping with 25 ladies (and I use that tern loosly) sounds like a perfect way to spend 3 months of a 26 year old’s life.

9. minty

July 27, 2010 at 12:13 PM

I didn’t see all of the Men Tell All (The Closer was on), but from what I saw, it looked like the men were specifically trying to distinguish a difference between Frank and Justin. They painted Frank in a far more favorable light than Justin. Did anyone else notice that?

P.S.: RS – if Ali is still single, maybe you can date her! 🙂

10. KHapp8

July 27, 2010 at 12:15 PM

I hope Chris L from the “cape” is the next bachelor just because I want to see more of him. He is SO fine in every way possible!

11. CS1972

July 27, 2010 at 1:17 PM

MTA was just a snoozefest. It was nice to see Kasey more relaxed, alcohol or not. I still wouldn’t date him, seems like he would be insecure and clingy and I can’t deal with that. Thought the Phantom was funny. I really wish we would have seen these guys more in their element- I know they were boozed up but still. My mom has always said she thought Craig the lawyer was a good catch, though she’s also said she wants to drive up north and hook up with Chris L.’s dad. Thanks for that image mom. I think Roberto’s hot and sweet, but I can really related to Chris L.’s situation and I’m on the team that he should not be the next bachelor. Too good for ABC crap. I really didn’t pay attention to most of MTA because I pretty much knew what was going to happen thanks to RS. I did watch the special afterwards and I have to say I’m not superficial but Mike Fleiss is fugly, but at least he admitted how scripted this show is. Chris H. may be doing his job, but each week I hear him talk I just want to puke more and more.
    Good luck with the dating thing. Who knows what could happen? Just take it day by day. 🙂

12. salina30

July 27, 2010 at 1:51 PM

Aww!! Good luck, Steve! You deserve it!!

13. Bubbles

July 27, 2010 at 2:32 PM

I loved Craig last night! Too bad he wasn’t as chatty during the season. 🙁
    Steve, on the overnight visits, do they get it on? IMWTK. Things were looking pretty steamy when Blondie with the Bad Roots was peeling the shirt off Roberto. I suppose as long as his pants were on, though, . . . LOL!

14. sylviag74

July 27, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Hi Steve,

Do you think that maybe just maybe this time around you are absolutely wrong?? That maybe your sources didn’t come thru for you and who knows for all we know Ali might be planning her wedding to Frank as we speak!!! Just a thought………..

15. Sunnyside422

July 27, 2010 at 2:52 PM

Oh God, please no Frank marrying Ali!!! He such a wussy guy and she’d be mopping his tears and hers for years to come! Nicole can have him and good luck.

Ali has some pride and the way Frank was portrayed as wishy washy and conflicted between Nicole and Ali, doubt she’d want his sloppy seconds. Even tho he wanted to leave much earlier and conformed to the producers urgings to continue the charade with Ali! Too bad he didn’t show some back bone and tell them I’m leaving and that’s that!

16. Tahitian Bath

July 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM

Roberto was a baseball player??!? Funny – he never mentioned it…

HA! Whatshisname Vermette trolling for his 7 minutes of fame?

I didn’t see a whole lot of this show. Thankfully. Chris R. was quite the outspoken ring-leader, wasn’t he? Our boobish young attorney’s high-falootin’ opinion of all things – especially of himself – was a joke.

Did everyone catch Craig’s challenge to wrestle Justin? Or his disbelieving whether Justin’s cast was even “real”? Hey Chrissy – we ALL know you couldn’t beat The Weatherman in a legit oil wrestling contest you wuss.

Chris N. Bwaahaa! The show’s over, Chris. The tan and personality will do nothing to rehabilitate your standing as a Batch-Corpse. Of course you we advertising your wares, you can always be a gigolo for the Batch’s 50+ fans.

Well, they did it again; Justin was this show’s Roslyn/punching bag. Enuf already. And what was the reason Jesse was on the show again? How many more 15 minutes of fame will this chick be getting? We barely heard a sentence or two during her stint in Jake’s season, but since she hasn’t shut up.

More notes:

Hey – NICE new teef, Ali, to match your hair extensions! Btw, I have a message from Frank: “STOP trailing off your sentences into undecipherable incoherence. Your voice annoyed me – THAT’S why I couldn’t take you!”

Kasey. You’re still a nutty Muppet. Now guard and protect Miss Piggy.

Fleiss: Geez, can this guy look and act any creepier?

Kirk. (yawn) Stop your drunken whining. The scrapbook doomed you from the beginning.

Every single one of the participants is a fame whore. NO ONE is there “for the right reasons” – unless “the right reason” is fame-whoring for

Btw, Steve – your hilarious columns are the only reason I’ve continued watching this fake, contrived trainwreck of a show.

FWIW, I think your dating contest is a great idea. Did you see how the women were fawning over Craig R. – the supposed poor man’s version of Reality S.? 😉 Go git ’em, Hoss!

Hmmm…What would Fleiss pay you to conduct it in documentary form and sold to ABC as a show? (just sayin’…you ought a think outside the box)

17. MindyM

July 27, 2010 at 3:22 PM

Sunnyside,

We are in agreement again about Frank! The very idea of him marrying Ali is enough to make me sick to my stomach! The guy is all over the place, doesn’t have a clue as to what or who he wants and is just a confused, insecure nervous wreck! I say leave him to Nicole.

We have heard that Frank wanted to leave much sooner, but the producers manipulated/coerced, pressured him to stay on so that they could have their drama at the FD in Tahiti. Again, I have no sympathy for these people who go on the show with their eyes wide open, having signed a contract. Here is some simple advice -if you are not sure, if you have something to hide, if you have a hidden agenda, then don’t go on this show! The producers will find out about it, as they did with Justin, even though he thought he was smart enough to fool them by telling the hotel management to bill him for the phone calls. They will find out and use it to their advantage.

I agree with the guys that Frank and Justin are not in the same category. Justin clearly had publicity on his mind when he signed up for the show. He was stringing along two girlfriends back home and got caught. He’s a player, but not a very bright one. Frank told some of the guys about his conflicted feelings for both Ali and Nicole. He still had no business going on the show, but he did try to honestly tell the producers that he wanted to leave. He didn’t want to lead Ali on right up to the FD. Once you are in the clutches of TPTB, then you are toast!

I loved hearing from Craig N., otherwise known as the “Phantom”. At least he had a sense of humor about it. He was probably the smartest guy, hiding all over the place and staying out of trouble. He does have a nice personality. I wondered why Craig M. wasn’t there. I would imagine that we might have seen more fireworks between him and the Weatherwimp!

I was struck by how well the guys got along. The only one they really hated was Justin and they spotted him right from the start. I liked Kirk, but was disappointed that he hooked up with the likes of Jessie Sulidis. I think he can do much better!

I believe it has to be either Chris L. or Roberto for the next bachelor. They are both so popular that ABC can’t lose either way. I am hearing all of the crazy rumors that the show will manage to get the best of Steve this time and fake him out over the ending, but I have to believe the spoilers. Until Steve is proven wrong, I will go with his information.

It looks like we can expect to see some additional info about the FRC and the ATFR on this site. I can’t wait!

18. sfcollison

July 27, 2010 at 3:55 PM

Hi Steve,

Thanks again for another great season… it’s been great having all the spoilers! LOVE it. I tried to set my DVR to tape the “E News” special that you are supposed to be on… but I think I’m looking at the wrong time slot.

The “E News” special airs tonight 7/27/10 at 10 pm, right??? (I ask because it’s showing that the Kardashian show will be on at that time????) Help!!!

19. CaliGirl

July 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM

sfcollison, the E News special about the Bachelor/ette is tomorrow night (Wed.) at 10 PM EST.

20. HeidiT

July 27, 2010 at 4:44 PM

I thought the Bachelor/Bachelorette shows were getting higher ratings thanks to your blogs?? I only watch it now because of your blogs, and yes, I want to see if your “sources” pan out (which they do) so to be honest Mike Fleiss should tell Chris Harrison to call you personally and give you the spoilers before each show, because I think thanks to you, their ratings are high.

You should be on ABC’s payroll.

Good luck on your hunt for Ms. Right (or Ms Right for tonight).

21. aotearoa9

July 27, 2010 at 4:50 PM

My guess is that Ali makes no decision on the finale (may be that’s why we haven’t seen clips of a ceremony? there isn’t one?) and will continue her relationship with both guys, then make her decision at the ATFR.

I watch the show more now, knowing your spoilers, than I ever did before! and good luck finding Ms Right… or at least Ms Right Now…

22. loveadds

July 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM

I think it’s funny to watch Bachelorette coverage on other media outlets, namely E!/The Daily 10. On the Daily 10 for a few weeks now, they’ve had Tenley come on for a quick segment, giving her 2 cents about the night before’s episode. So ridiculous. They’re playing it that she’s Ali’s “BFF” and that she knows all the inside scoops. She barely ever answers a question! She just hems and haws and is all “I don’t know… we’ll have to watch!”.

I did appreciate today however that Tenley and co-host of the show Catt said they thought that the rumors of Ali choosing someone and planning a wedding, etc are false. At least they’re alluding to the fact that all those claims are bogus.

But it’s been hard to watch at all during Bachelorette segments on there knowing that everything they’re “reporting” is crap.

And Steve, good job as always for bringing us the goods this season!

Good luck on the mating game 😉

23. Lucetto

July 27, 2010 at 4:59 PM

Great blog Steve, keep on bringing it !!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck with the dating game !!!!

24. jojinx

July 28, 2010 at 12:11 AM

Hey Steve, I’m single and in New Zealand – half way would be about Tahiti – what say we meet up there?!

25. bahurupiya

July 28, 2010 at 2:32 AM

I’m not surprised they left the “Frank will be here” in.

It works with the whole Frank arc – they can even speculate about when Frank realized that he wouldn’t be appearing, and how long he waited after that to call the producers and cancel.

What does surprise me is that with all the hatin’ on Justin, apparently no one is at all bothered by the premise of Nicole calling Ali to say

“see, me & my boyfriend had this plan to trick you into falling in love with him so he could get a bunch of money, and then he was going to dump your ass and we were going to get married, but I just found out he cheated on me, yo, so naturally my first thought was your poor unguarded and unprotected heart and how I better warn you right away. I mean, that was my first thought as soon as ABC called me and asked what date I’d available to shoot the scene.”

In Internet Rumors I Wish Steve Would Investigate News, I keep seeing buzz that the reason the Men Tell All studio audience looks like that is because it is comprised of Bachelor/ette rejects.

Ali looked more Barbie-like than ever! Was it the new teeth, the new nose, both, or something else entirely? Discuss.

26. beulah

July 28, 2010 at 4:29 AM

Ali never stated how blissfully happy she is or showed off a ring either!! BUT THE MOST IMPORTANT QUESTION IS

WHO WILL BE THE NEXT BACHELOR????

I say NONE of the guys this season were very interesting and they should bring in someone NEW!!!

27. Caroll

July 28, 2010 at 4:47 AM

The bit about Justin calling his girlfriend from a phone and running the water while Kirk tried to listen: the producers must have made the phone available for him to call his girlfriend considering the rules about no cell phones or computers, etc. etc. Another set up by the show for the story line.

28. Lucetto

July 28, 2010 at 4:49 AM

Jojinx, are you serious ???

29. kristenk

July 28, 2010 at 1:51 PM

I think ATFR was filmed this past weekend (8/24-25). I live in the same town as Chris L. and he was home all week (saw him in person on Thursday), but when I passed his house on the way to the beach on Friday it was closed up tight, looked like nobody was planning to be home for a while.

Lame insight, I know, but it’s what I got!

30. jojinx

July 29, 2010 at 1:51 AM

@Lucetto – I get the impression that Steve is looking within the US only.. oh well!

31. JustJenna

July 29, 2010 at 8:21 AM

@Caroll: You DO realise that their are telephones in swanky hotel bathrooms don’t you? Thats what Justin used to call his girlfriend and he tried to hide it from producers by having it billed to him, directly. The producers don’t manipulate EVERYTHING, you know.

32. serpephone

July 29, 2010 at 9:32 AM

Thanks, RS, for another great season! Seriously, ABC should put your on their payroll. Thanks to you, I am addicted to this show. I watch it faithfully every week to make sure your spoilers are correct!

Good luck with finding a girl. I live in Dallas and although there are a LOT of people here, finding true love is very difficult.

33. bjoiful

July 29, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Reality Steve! I missed the E! special last night and don’t have the channel. I tried searching to see if the video had been uploaded on their website or on other tv streaming sites, but so far no luck…. Do you know where I can find the video? You should upload it onto your site! Thanks for the help tracking it down. Got to watch you in your glory 🙂

34. kristenk

July 30, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Another update from Cape Cod: Chris L. has been hooking up with tonnnnnns of girls this summer. He’s got girls swarming him and he’s taking them up at every opportunity! Obviously not something a guy engaged to a reality TV star would do (I hope!).

35. bahurupiya

July 30, 2010 at 12:19 PM

@Carroll I wondered about that, too. If phones, etc are forbidden, wouldn’t any contestant who heard phone call sounds of any kind go dashing off immediately to the producers in hopes that the perpetrator would be disqualified?

If something like that happened on a Cris Abrego show, they’d devote at least two episodes to it – one Discovery of the Deed and subsequent Denunciation, and another to Discovery of the Denunciation and ensuing hilarity and catfight, with the latter likely to involve gooey comestibles.

36. cory_cali

July 30, 2010 at 2:07 PM

Steve – What do you have to say about the US Weekly that came out on 7/29 talking about “secrets of the proposal”?? Supposedly someone was there in Bali who spotted her accepting a proposal? I definitely want to believe you (I have the opinion that both those guys are too good for Ali!), but with that “proof” in my mag yesterday…it was a little hard to deny. You should blog about this before Monday! I’m sure lots of people read that US Weekly!

Thanks 🙂

37. sawyer

August 1, 2010 at 10:19 AM

Jeesh where do you people get off criticizing Frank for picking a real relationship with his ex over a fake one with a reality star he knew for a few weeks. Respect to him for doing the right thing and knowing that real love is worth giving up 5 minutes of fame for.

As for Nicole being a hideous troll I am sure all of you have much smaller noses. To be honest Frank looks kind of like a lobster and I’m not really sure how he could attract Ali or Nicole but then again insecure women do love ambivalent men.

Kirk and Jessie… are all these women blind?

As for The New Bachelor what the hell happened to ABC getting out there and finding a rich handsome C lister like Jesse Palmer or that actor’s brother. Even pet care peddling prince Lorenzo was more entertaining than simply using reject after reject from the show. The current season is hideously boring as Chris and Roberto have no personality at all and I’ve been fast forwarding though episodes just to get to the Rose Ceremony. I don’t think viewers are ‘invested’ in those two… they are simply falling asleep. Nice guys are boring and don’t make good TV other than entertaining cougars who want to fantasize about Roberto in baseball pants.

ABC needs to get a new Bachelor that isn’t a cast off’s cast off.

38. tr

August 2, 2010 at 3:59 AM

So I am laughing and you should be honored that ABC was so mad that you were top billing along with Fleiss on E! and influenced them to edit you out after the initial running of Bachelor Then and Now. It was weird…I saw the first night and your name and title was there with your ITM and then my sister who lives in Phoenix said “Reality Steve” was not and I kept saying to her, yes it is “Reality Steve” bottom left and hers did not have it… listed only TV Blogger without your name. Then on the weekend this “divagirl” was edited in to your spots (except for the terrible editing when they forgot a voice over and it was your voice!) so whats up? Wow -what lengths they went to just for different versions to be run!

39. bahurupiya

August 2, 2010 at 11:17 AM

@sawyer, it’s important that the Bachelor/ette – and most of the contestants – be as free from personality as possible, a model of generic vapidity, a tabula rasa upon which the viewers can sketch their individual “My ideal must have” characteristics, as well as enjoy the maximum projectile MarySue experience.

There will, of course, be a sprinkling of anti-Sues among the array of potential sweethearts set before the star, and while originally intended obviously for some topographical variety, comic relief, etc, if recent seasons are any indication, the stock of these “character” contestants is rising – both Deanna and Jake picked the “wild card” of their respective seasons.

Jesse the Snowboarder’s anti-Suehood was announced on the first night of Deanna’s season, in the form of a novelty sport coat, and, if memory serves me, facial hair.

In Season Jake of The Bachelor, it was the other girls who informed us, through voiceovers and Confessionals that Vienna was “not like the others,” and this was illustrated with vignettes of her conversations and interactions with her fellow aspirants.

One of Ali’s Final Two, Roberto even features a touch of “diversity” – in a safe and acceptable dosage. Light-skinned Roberto doesn’t even know the names of the “Spanish stuff” his (blonde-haired and even lighter skinned) mother cooks.

My speculation is that all this, like the escalating incidence of shocking First-Time-In-The-History-Of-The-Bachelor events, an intentional response to the increasing shocking events and general Trashiness level we see in the reality genre as a whole, and the upcoming spin-off Bachelor Pad show would seem to bear this out.

What I am wondering, though, is whether they will position Bachelor Pad as the Abregoesque arm of the franchise, and attempt to nudge The Bachelor back toward its former role as “high end” vehicle – the “romantic” reality show for nice Episcopalian families.