Reader Emails

Ashley as the Next “Bachelorette” Reaction & More “Reader Emails”

I really can’t believe people are STILL e-mailing you about how to read the spoilers. I think you should just stop wasting your time e-mailing them, or even responding in the reader’s e-mails column. If they can’t figure it out now, after all of your (repeated) explaining, oh well! That is their problem!
So here’s my question: Did Sports Illustrated have any say in who took part in that date? If they’re featuring them in their magazine, I would think they would have a certain “look” in mind for each of the three girls.

Keep up the good work! I personally love the sarcasm, and as a teacher, am able to look past the grammar/spelling mistakes. Why other people can’t is beyond me, they obviously take this column way too seriously!

Comment: No idea what role “Sports Illustrated” had in choosing which women were on the date. I’d probably guess “not much”. These dates are all set up by the show. I mean, lets face it, you kinda knew Britt wasn’t going to get the SI Swimsuit date, and it didn’t really seem like something up Shawntels alley. The only one in question would be Emily, since she’s very attractive and is someone you’d expect to see in a shoot like that, despite the fact Emily has remained pretty covered up all season.

People take my site too seriously? Ya’ think? I never would’ve guessed. Ha ha.
_____________________________________________________________________

Just a question that I haven’t seen answered on your site, you made lots of comments about Chantal “not missing any meals.” Who cooks for them? Do they have a chef in the house? Do they have to cook for themselves? Don’t they get to choose to not eat pizza and potato chips? Also, isn’t there a gym at the house?

Comment: For the answer to this question, I went back to the same contestant who answered for us in our first question. Their response:

“We all cook for ourselves, if we are at the house, and not on a date (in that case, they bring food to the date). There is a running grocery list everyday, and a handler will go out and get anything we need. When there was a 1 on 1 date, we’d cook a big dinner together.

There are also TONS of snacks in the house.

There is no gym! So you have to fend for yourself if you want to work out. Behind the mansion is a big hill, that is a part of the property, so people would run up and down that.”
_____________________________________________________________________

Steve,

Just wanted to assure you that your site is exactly as simple to navigate as you say it is.

Judging by both the emails you refer to and the comments section, you just appear to be stuck with an especially dumb readership. Which, in all fairness, seems par for the course considering the subject matter.

Comment: Nahhhh, don’t call my readership dumb. How about “slow”. Or “unable to follow the most simple directions”. Or maybe just “brain dead”. I will admit that in the 8 years of covering this show, and the thousands upon thousands of emails I’ve received, I will say the fans of this show have got to be some of the most passionate and intense ones out there. Not the sharpest knives in the drawer, and certainly none of them will ever be the keynote speaker at a MENSA conference, but definitely passionate.
_____________________________________________________________________

Hey Steve!

Love your blog! Keep up the great work!

My question to you is, how did you get started in all of this? Did you just start watching the bachelor out of the blue, and decided to blog on it’s awfulness, and the insider info came later?
Or did you know you could get insider info, and start blogging because of that?

I started reading your column during Jason’s season, so I’m not sure about anything before that.

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer our questions- LOVE the new Tuesday/Friday format!

Comment: Yeah, this one I’ve answered numerous times. Short version is this all started with “Joe Millionaire” back when that was on. First show I ever wrote about. Sent an email to three of my friends commenting on how ridiculous it was, they forwarded it on to their friends, and before I knew it, I had a following.

Next dating show to start after “JM” ended was the first season of the “Bachelorette”, so I just decided to write about that. And here we are 8 years and 19 seasons later.

I didn’t start getting spoilers until Jason’s season. Before then all I did was recaps (which are all archived down the right hand column here) and never made a cent. Things have obviously changed in the past two years for the better with more exposure and with more national notoriety, which brings traffic to the site which in turn brings in revenue. So I’m not complaining. Call it boasting, call it conceited, call it what you want, but it’s the #1 site on the internet for “Bachelor” information, spoilers, and recaps, and honestly, it isn’t even close. I’m confident enough in my numbers to admit that. And I will do my best to keep it at that level. Just being honest.
_____________________________________________________________________

1. loca4linda2

February 25, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Yeah!! I’m 1st. Once again, you are hilarious and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute while reading your column.

I can’t wait to hear about the WTA. You are the best Steve!!

2. Nobody

February 25, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Hey Steve’O, the person who wrote the long ass email and called you rude can go fuck him / herself.

There…. hows that for rude?

The O’Brien family IS the most “materialistic, fake, and plastic” bunch of “uppity snobs” the show has ever put on air. Has there eever been a more narcissistic family ever shown on reality TV?

3. MindyLouWho

February 25, 2011 at 9:47 AM

OMG Steve! I never fail to get a good laugh out of your Friday Emails, totally funny. After working in retail for 5 years, I knew there were stupid people in the world, but they never cease to amaze me. Love reading the blog, and watching the show (for entertainment value of course). Just wanted to say this to everyone out there that think this is a “real” love story, It’s not. All they want is ratings, that’s it! They don’t give a rat’s tushy if the lead falls in love, as long as they get good ratings on the journey there.
    I’ve said my peace, now I look forward to all the ridiculous comments to follow about how Steve is out of line, and “I can’t find the spoilers” even though he has made it so easy a 5 year old can find them, sheesh.

4. nancy 1794

February 25, 2011 at 9:59 AM

I’m not an Ashley fan but I’ll watch. I don’t watch it so much for whoever is the bach/ette —
    I watch the show for the laughs I get at seeing the sheer desparation and stupidity of today’s
    youth-! And the relief I feel that I am NOT participating in what they are doing! Those are the reasons I watch and I like seeing the resorts and places they travel to on the away dates.

Yes as someone pointed out Chantal’s family is so nouveau-riche,…I thought their house was actually beyond tacky it was vulgar – very “grandiose”. Vomit-worthy. An over-done hotel lobby! People with more money than taste who want to “show off” build homes like these and decorate them to “impress”. It’s an “in-your-face house”. These types of people are not so much narcissistic as they are insecure.

5. spins22

February 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Hilarious e-mails this week!!! I can’t believe the questions some people have (i.e. the contestants’ height) hahaha And whoever said that the site navigation problem had to do with add blocks is wrong, my coworker and i have google chrome and firefox. We were both able to see spoilers with it on and off!

6. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 10:38 AM

spins, a lot of people use

http://adblockplus.org/en/ as an add-on to Firefox.

There’s a lot of spam, ads in Steve’s links and many people abwhore that… 😉

7. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Having said that, he fixed it by providing a secondary link that is ad-free. People, please stop talking about it, Steve has FIXED the problems brought up by us. 🙂

8. spins22

February 25, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I don’t want to argue but i my coworker is an engineer and knows the ins and outs of computers pretty well. She was able to read it weeks ago and changed her settings to check. Just saying.

9. spins22

February 25, 2011 at 10:48 AM

haha and he did fix it but judging by the emails posted today people still can’t see the spoilers. Too funny!

10. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Well, those people may have scripts disabled and forget to enable coming to the site. This site is heavily ad laden so…. you gotta open up your security. For those of you using http://noscript.net/ and similar, “allow” this site! 🙂

11. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I hate the way smilies don’t appear where you place them. LOL!!!

12. misskristinlynn

February 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Im actually excited to watch Ashley, shes cute & entertaining… Emily would have been beyond boring.

& the person who asked if Brad picked the women because they’re successful, I honestly think that might matter. Chantal obviously has money (or daddys money) so Brad knows she isn’t after him for his money. Who the hell wants a moocher when they’ve worked hard for their money?

13. Athena

February 25, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Watching the Bachelor continues to be a guilty pleasure of mine, and the only thing that eases my shame is knowing how many other saps there are out there, and R.Steve’s humor and recaps.

Sure, sometimes his particular spin hits a tender spot for me (ie: poking fun at Chantal’s weight), but hey, why complain about that when I’m laughing myself silly over the other pokes he’s making.

A testosterone-fueled perspective is fun.

14. asylvia

February 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM

from Jen’s season, I recall she had some input in the kind of men she was looking for. I think Brad had requested women who were financially independent because he keeps saying all season how Chantal is different from women he’s known. he said he loves her confidence and independence. and that is likely what he was looking for.

If we believe Brad was really involved with Laurel for 8 years, then it is fair to she is the “needy, clingy, and dependent on others for financial support” person he has been referring to.

since Steve says this isn’t a gossip column but as has been pointed out, the site is filled with gossip, then lets just say Brad was supporting Laurel all those years, and when he dumped her and cut her off, she ran to the press to sell some lame-ass story to make money until she rounds up some other dumb ass sugar daddy…

and for all the rude comments about Chantal’s family, you people (including Steve) should admit you’re jealous and wish you lived like the O’Brians. I’ll admit I wouldn’t mind living in that house, with oceanview and looking as good as her mom looks…good for them!

15. SherryfromD

February 25, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I’m not sure I would classify Chantal as independent. She is wealthy because of Daddy’s money and because he probably pays her a ridiculous amount to be an admin. But staying in his good graces is probably required to continue living that lifestyle.

And not sure how successful it is, but doesn’t Laurel own her own business…spa, salon or something?

16. Rainytown

February 25, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Hey Steve, you leave me a bit confused. You brag in today’s column about the “second income” thrown off from visitors to this site, but then you insult those who wade through the ad pop-ups, etcetera, to read five pages of information that could be condensed into one. Do you insult the customer and/or co-workers at your other gig, too?

Do yourself a favor: If it’s just too stressful to respond to those e-mailers whose intellect is not quite as dazzling as your own, perhaps you should stop. After all, why would you want to keep catering to the middle aged housewives/cat lovers/overweight women that read your comments? Surely you could find more productive ways to spend your precious time.

The Bachelor/Bachelorette may be a guilty pleasure, but those 18-49 year old women who are visiting your site are capable of noting your advertisers, Steve. You might want to consider that.

17. MAC

February 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM

I’d just like to say that I’m happy Ashley will be the next Bachelorette! I 100% prefer her over Emily. No offense to Emily at all, but in comparison she seems so shy and reserved while Ashley is energetic and bubbly.

Can’t wait for the Bachelorette!!!!

Thanks Steve – Great job as usual!

18. spins22

February 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM

So i guess we won’t be seeing Rainytown on this site anymore!

19. jax71868

February 25, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Great job as usual, Steve. I can’t believe you get so many emails about how rude your blog is. If they don’t like it, why are they reading it? Some people have no life and take this show way too seriously.

20. nancy 1794

February 25, 2011 at 2:36 PM

hey asylvia—you said:

please just speak for yourself. I am NOT jealous and I do NOT
    wish I lived in that fugly over done and under lived house. Yes, vulgar is the right word. Grotesquely VULGAR. Such a large house for such a small family. Ostentatious!
    That is one really really ugly mansion Now I DO wish I had the $$ to build a house that costs what that one did to build but MY house would be entirely different.

21. lemon-lime

February 25, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Hell, the show’s investigative process is comparable to an S.C.I. clearance.
    Ridiculous.

22. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Steve, what is Chantal’s degree in? All it states on the bio page is that she is a graduate of the University of Washington.

23. Ellieanne

February 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

“The interview/screening process for the show is much more extensive than the process to get a secret security clearance for a gov job.
    Hell, the show’s investigative process is comparable to an S.C.I. clearance.
    Ridiculous.”

So, that would rule out all the people on this site who can’t even find the spoilers from ever becoming a Bachelor/Bachelorette.

24. JenJen

February 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Chantal likely *is* financially independent. Remember she was married to a rock star for ten years. I’m sure she took a pretty penny from him in the divorce settlement.

25. RTV

February 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM

CH was on Extra tonight (& ET). I saw the Extra show. They showed short promo. Mario asked CH, “Did Brad picked someone” and CH said “yes and it was a surprise”. Mario..”So, is it good”..CH “It’s good TV if he went down in flames or picks someone” (he laughs) “But she’s the right one (slight pause)…for HIM”.
    So CH is preparing the Emily fans for the big shocker and trying to to tell them that Chantal is right one for Brad, not Emily.

26. Lightbulb

February 25, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I’m not surprised it’s not Emily. She is very pretty, but her personality does not fit especially for a lead. I think they would have liked it to be her, but I tend to think it was the producers who nixed it. Ashley is the “girl next door.” She also provides more ups and downs with emotions. The show can more easily create drama around her; It’s an easier edit.

27. nancy 1794

February 26, 2011 at 6:53 AM

Chantal was marred for about FOUR years – to some unknown “musician”. Rock Star-NOT.

28. lemon-lime

February 26, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Agree nancy. When I googled to find out who her ex was- I had never heard of him. Granted, pretty much all I listen to is Bob Dylan, but I still hear of famous people via magazines, tv, etc. Until yesterday, I didn’t know justin vena or the band acceptance existed.

Well I guess nothing much happened at the WTA, cause RS ain’t posted anything about it.

29. mhalterm

February 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM

In this video Brad has the picture little ricki made him hanging on the fridge:
    And this video was done long ago. Just another hint!