While I will admit that I have been a reader of your website for a few years now, as I like to watch the seasons knowing prior to who wins. With that being my main reason for visiting your website, I still have read your recaps and other blogs on occasion. While I understand that your blogs are meant to be “sarcastic, slanted, sophomoric and skewed”, and respect that you have the freedom to write whatever you would like, I think it is safe to say that you are greatly disrespectful and downright rude. Although this has been a coming opinion of mine for a while now, I found your last recap to be overly offensive to the point where I have decided to confront you in writing this email.
I know it is your style to be blunt and unconventional, but the statements you made about the O’Brien family were awful. Granted I do not know this family or about this family other then what I saw on the episode, they are still people. I was wanting to point out specifics of what you said about them that were examples of what I am talking about, but when re-reading it, it really is the whole piece. You went overboard. Who are you to say such horrible things about people you have never met? It is sad that you really have no shame. Even if you think you have some knowledge to state such insults, a) you should not go about it in such a harmful way and b) you should try and gather up some respect for yourself to not broadcast such accusations.
Perhaps this has changed, as I do not read every blog, but I believe that you have said in the past that you never intend for this to be a gossip site. Pretty much everything you said such as Chantal’s mom was a stripper, Chantal’s affair and Mr. O’Brien “not having it any other way but to show off his trophy wife”. (On a side note, in relation to not being a ‘gossip site’, interviewing Brad’s ex just contradicts that. You may believe that what she is saying is fact, however why not step aside. She said her peace in a lengthy magazine article. It is like you are wanting to stir up trouble for Brad and Chantal. Jesus, let them be.)
“That family couldn’t be more materialistic, fake, and plastic if they tried. Once again, have fun Brad. You’re in for a real treat with that clan of uppity snobs.” What a snap judgment that honestly makes me question your humanity and maturity. The truth is is that these people have not done anything to you, yet you continue being outright rude.
I was really disgusted with what you said and find you to be more pretentious then the O’Briens. I am not sure why I was affected in the way that I was and I am sure you are going to laugh this off and not really give damn about my ramblings. I guess I just figured that someone needs to call you out.
Your blog says that you devote Fridays to answering emails and while this is not your average question, I would honestly like some sort of explanation why you think that this is okay. Perhaps you will not post this due to the fact this isn’t exactly a pleasant email. Or perhaps you will post this so you can publicly laugh at these accusations and continue with your offensive comments. I don’t know. I just know that I will probably come to your website one final time Friday to see if you can provide a redeeming response.
Comment: I could completely rail on this email and break it down paragraph by paragraph, but really no need to. You can easily bottom line this email into this: They. Just. Don’t. Get. It. Simple as that. I’ve been saying the same things for 8 years. This person obviously is a new reader who gets offended easily, despite what they say. Nothing I said about the O’Briens about their hometown date is anything different than when I made fun of any other families on previous hometown dates in the past 19 seasons. Just. Don’t. Get. It. And if it offends you, then don’t read it.
I’m a big fan of your blog. I enjoy reading your spoilers and weekly updates so thank you for them!
I just had a few questions about the Bachelor. If you could answer some, I’d really appreciate it.
1) Do you think Brad picked the final 4 girls because of their beauty and financial situation? Chantal has a rich family. Emily seems to have money (whether it’s her parents money or Ricky’s life insurance). Ashley is going to be a dentist. I don’t know for sure but Shawntel may make decent money as a funeral director/funeral home owner when she takes over her father’s business.
2) I’ve always wondered how tall the contestants are on this show. Do you know how tall the final 4 are? It’s hard to tell (despite knowing Brad is probably 6’1 ish from something I read earlier) since their high heels’ heights vary.
3) Why do you think people like Jackie and Britt (nice girls but too prudish for the show’s standards) decide to still come on the show? Don’t they know that’s not what the bachelors on this show are looking for?
4) Why does Brad hold hands, touch thighs, and offer his suit jacket after he denies a girl a rose? Brad seems unable to grasp that most don’t want that after rejection on national TV.
Comment: 1) No, I don’t think that has anything to do with anything. Brad is a successful businessman. He’s does perfectly fine for himself, he doesn’t need to chase women with money. He got plenty for being the “Bachelor”.
2) No. I didn’t have any tape measures when I was walking around on set all day for 8 weeks. Sorry I couldn’t measure the girls. Wait, now that I said that, here come the “I told you he works for ABC” emails. Laughable.
3) No idea. Maybe they’d never seen it before. Shawntel said in her exit interview she’d never watched one episode. It is possible these chicks are clueless, and those are usually the ones the producers have a field day with and exploit to no end. And are pretty much what you’d call “filler” for the show. No chance in winning, but won’t go home the first night either.
4) I think he’s just trying to be a gentleman. Whether he means it or not is irrelevant. It’s what he should do. I don’t fault him for it.