Reader Emails

Ashley as the Next “Bachelorette” Reaction & More “Reader Emails”

Dear Steve,
While I will admit that I have been a reader of your website for a few years now, as I like to watch the seasons knowing prior to who wins. With that being my main reason for visiting your website, I still have read your recaps and other blogs on occasion. While I understand that your blogs are meant to be “sarcastic, slanted, sophomoric and skewed”, and respect that you have the freedom to write whatever you would like, I think it is safe to say that you are greatly disrespectful and downright rude. Although this has been a coming opinion of mine for a while now, I found your last recap to be overly offensive to the point where I have decided to confront you in writing this email.

I know it is your style to be blunt and unconventional, but the statements you made about the O’Brien family were awful. Granted I do not know this family or about this family other then what I saw on the episode, they are still people. I was wanting to point out specifics of what you said about them that were examples of what I am talking about, but when re-reading it, it really is the whole piece. You went overboard. Who are you to say such horrible things about people you have never met? It is sad that you really have no shame. Even if you think you have some knowledge to state such insults, a) you should not go about it in such a harmful way and b) you should try and gather up some respect for yourself to not broadcast such accusations.

Perhaps this has changed, as I do not read every blog, but I believe that you have said in the past that you never intend for this to be a gossip site. Pretty much everything you said such as Chantal’s mom was a stripper, Chantal’s affair and Mr. O’Brien “not having it any other way but to show off his trophy wife”. (On a side note, in relation to not being a ‘gossip site’, interviewing Brad’s ex just contradicts that. You may believe that what she is saying is fact, however why not step aside. She said her peace in a lengthy magazine article. It is like you are wanting to stir up trouble for Brad and Chantal. Jesus, let them be.)

“That family couldn’t be more materialistic, fake, and plastic if they tried. Once again, have fun Brad. You’re in for a real treat with that clan of uppity snobs.” What a snap judgment that honestly makes me question your humanity and maturity. The truth is is that these people have not done anything to you, yet you continue being outright rude.

I was really disgusted with what you said and find you to be more pretentious then the O’Briens. I am not sure why I was affected in the way that I was and I am sure you are going to laugh this off and not really give damn about my ramblings. I guess I just figured that someone needs to call you out.

Your blog says that you devote Fridays to answering emails and while this is not your average question, I would honestly like some sort of explanation why you think that this is okay. Perhaps you will not post this due to the fact this isn’t exactly a pleasant email. Or perhaps you will post this so you can publicly laugh at these accusations and continue with your offensive comments. I don’t know. I just know that I will probably come to your website one final time Friday to see if you can provide a redeeming response.

Comment: I could completely rail on this email and break it down paragraph by paragraph, but really no need to. You can easily bottom line this email into this: They. Just. Don’t. Get. It. Simple as that. I’ve been saying the same things for 8 years. This person obviously is a new reader who gets offended easily, despite what they say. Nothing I said about the O’Briens about their hometown date is anything different than when I made fun of any other families on previous hometown dates in the past 19 seasons. Just. Don’t. Get. It. And if it offends you, then don’t read it.
_____________________________________________________________________

Hi Steve!

I’m a big fan of your blog. I enjoy reading your spoilers and weekly updates so thank you for them!

I just had a few questions about the Bachelor. If you could answer some, I’d really appreciate it.

1) Do you think Brad picked the final 4 girls because of their beauty and financial situation? Chantal has a rich family. Emily seems to have money (whether it’s her parents money or Ricky’s life insurance). Ashley is going to be a dentist. I don’t know for sure but Shawntel may make decent money as a funeral director/funeral home owner when she takes over her father’s business.

2) I’ve always wondered how tall the contestants are on this show. Do you know how tall the final 4 are? It’s hard to tell (despite knowing Brad is probably 6’1 ish from something I read earlier) since their high heels’ heights vary.

3) Why do you think people like Jackie and Britt (nice girls but too prudish for the show’s standards) decide to still come on the show? Don’t they know that’s not what the bachelors on this show are looking for?

4) Why does Brad hold hands, touch thighs, and offer his suit jacket after he denies a girl a rose? Brad seems unable to grasp that most don’t want that after rejection on national TV.

Comment: 1) No, I don’t think that has anything to do with anything. Brad is a successful businessman. He’s does perfectly fine for himself, he doesn’t need to chase women with money. He got plenty for being the “Bachelor”.

2) No. I didn’t have any tape measures when I was walking around on set all day for 8 weeks. Sorry I couldn’t measure the girls. Wait, now that I said that, here come the “I told you he works for ABC” emails. Laughable.

3) No idea. Maybe they’d never seen it before. Shawntel said in her exit interview she’d never watched one episode. It is possible these chicks are clueless, and those are usually the ones the producers have a field day with and exploit to no end. And are pretty much what you’d call “filler” for the show. No chance in winning, but won’t go home the first night either.

4) I think he’s just trying to be a gentleman. Whether he means it or not is irrelevant. It’s what he should do. I don’t fault him for it.
_____________________________________________________________________

1. loca4linda2

February 25, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Yeah!! I’m 1st. Once again, you are hilarious and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute while reading your column.

I can’t wait to hear about the WTA. You are the best Steve!!

2. Nobody

February 25, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Hey Steve’O, the person who wrote the long ass email and called you rude can go fuck him / herself.

There…. hows that for rude?

The O’Brien family IS the most “materialistic, fake, and plastic” bunch of “uppity snobs” the show has ever put on air. Has there eever been a more narcissistic family ever shown on reality TV?

3. MindyLouWho

February 25, 2011 at 9:47 AM

OMG Steve! I never fail to get a good laugh out of your Friday Emails, totally funny. After working in retail for 5 years, I knew there were stupid people in the world, but they never cease to amaze me. Love reading the blog, and watching the show (for entertainment value of course). Just wanted to say this to everyone out there that think this is a “real” love story, It’s not. All they want is ratings, that’s it! They don’t give a rat’s tushy if the lead falls in love, as long as they get good ratings on the journey there.
    I’ve said my peace, now I look forward to all the ridiculous comments to follow about how Steve is out of line, and “I can’t find the spoilers” even though he has made it so easy a 5 year old can find them, sheesh.

4. nancy 1794

February 25, 2011 at 9:59 AM

I’m not an Ashley fan but I’ll watch. I don’t watch it so much for whoever is the bach/ette —
    I watch the show for the laughs I get at seeing the sheer desparation and stupidity of today’s
    youth-! And the relief I feel that I am NOT participating in what they are doing! Those are the reasons I watch and I like seeing the resorts and places they travel to on the away dates.

Yes as someone pointed out Chantal’s family is so nouveau-riche,…I thought their house was actually beyond tacky it was vulgar – very “grandiose”. Vomit-worthy. An over-done hotel lobby! People with more money than taste who want to “show off” build homes like these and decorate them to “impress”. It’s an “in-your-face house”. These types of people are not so much narcissistic as they are insecure.

5. spins22

February 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Hilarious e-mails this week!!! I can’t believe the questions some people have (i.e. the contestants’ height) hahaha And whoever said that the site navigation problem had to do with add blocks is wrong, my coworker and i have google chrome and firefox. We were both able to see spoilers with it on and off!

6. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 10:38 AM

spins, a lot of people use

http://adblockplus.org/en/ as an add-on to Firefox.

There’s a lot of spam, ads in Steve’s links and many people abwhore that… 😉

7. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Having said that, he fixed it by providing a secondary link that is ad-free. People, please stop talking about it, Steve has FIXED the problems brought up by us. 🙂

8. spins22

February 25, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I don’t want to argue but i my coworker is an engineer and knows the ins and outs of computers pretty well. She was able to read it weeks ago and changed her settings to check. Just saying.

9. spins22

February 25, 2011 at 10:48 AM

haha and he did fix it but judging by the emails posted today people still can’t see the spoilers. Too funny!

10. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Well, those people may have scripts disabled and forget to enable coming to the site. This site is heavily ad laden so…. you gotta open up your security. For those of you using http://noscript.net/ and similar, “allow” this site! 🙂

11. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I hate the way smilies don’t appear where you place them. LOL!!!

12. misskristinlynn

February 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Im actually excited to watch Ashley, shes cute & entertaining… Emily would have been beyond boring.

& the person who asked if Brad picked the women because they’re successful, I honestly think that might matter. Chantal obviously has money (or daddys money) so Brad knows she isn’t after him for his money. Who the hell wants a moocher when they’ve worked hard for their money?

13. Athena

February 25, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Watching the Bachelor continues to be a guilty pleasure of mine, and the only thing that eases my shame is knowing how many other saps there are out there, and R.Steve’s humor and recaps.

Sure, sometimes his particular spin hits a tender spot for me (ie: poking fun at Chantal’s weight), but hey, why complain about that when I’m laughing myself silly over the other pokes he’s making.

A testosterone-fueled perspective is fun.

14. asylvia

February 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM

from Jen’s season, I recall she had some input in the kind of men she was looking for. I think Brad had requested women who were financially independent because he keeps saying all season how Chantal is different from women he’s known. he said he loves her confidence and independence. and that is likely what he was looking for.

If we believe Brad was really involved with Laurel for 8 years, then it is fair to she is the “needy, clingy, and dependent on others for financial support” person he has been referring to.

since Steve says this isn’t a gossip column but as has been pointed out, the site is filled with gossip, then lets just say Brad was supporting Laurel all those years, and when he dumped her and cut her off, she ran to the press to sell some lame-ass story to make money until she rounds up some other dumb ass sugar daddy…

and for all the rude comments about Chantal’s family, you people (including Steve) should admit you’re jealous and wish you lived like the O’Brians. I’ll admit I wouldn’t mind living in that house, with oceanview and looking as good as her mom looks…good for them!

15. SherryfromD

February 25, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I’m not sure I would classify Chantal as independent. She is wealthy because of Daddy’s money and because he probably pays her a ridiculous amount to be an admin. But staying in his good graces is probably required to continue living that lifestyle.

And not sure how successful it is, but doesn’t Laurel own her own business…spa, salon or something?

16. Rainytown

February 25, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Hey Steve, you leave me a bit confused. You brag in today’s column about the “second income” thrown off from visitors to this site, but then you insult those who wade through the ad pop-ups, etcetera, to read five pages of information that could be condensed into one. Do you insult the customer and/or co-workers at your other gig, too?

Do yourself a favor: If it’s just too stressful to respond to those e-mailers whose intellect is not quite as dazzling as your own, perhaps you should stop. After all, why would you want to keep catering to the middle aged housewives/cat lovers/overweight women that read your comments? Surely you could find more productive ways to spend your precious time.

The Bachelor/Bachelorette may be a guilty pleasure, but those 18-49 year old women who are visiting your site are capable of noting your advertisers, Steve. You might want to consider that.

17. MAC

February 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM

I’d just like to say that I’m happy Ashley will be the next Bachelorette! I 100% prefer her over Emily. No offense to Emily at all, but in comparison she seems so shy and reserved while Ashley is energetic and bubbly.

Can’t wait for the Bachelorette!!!!

Thanks Steve – Great job as usual!

18. spins22

February 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM

So i guess we won’t be seeing Rainytown on this site anymore!

19. jax71868

February 25, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Great job as usual, Steve. I can’t believe you get so many emails about how rude your blog is. If they don’t like it, why are they reading it? Some people have no life and take this show way too seriously.

20. nancy 1794

February 25, 2011 at 2:36 PM

hey asylvia—you said:

please just speak for yourself. I am NOT jealous and I do NOT
    wish I lived in that fugly over done and under lived house. Yes, vulgar is the right word. Grotesquely VULGAR. Such a large house for such a small family. Ostentatious!
    That is one really really ugly mansion Now I DO wish I had the $$ to build a house that costs what that one did to build but MY house would be entirely different.

21. lemon-lime

February 25, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Hell, the show’s investigative process is comparable to an S.C.I. clearance.
    Ridiculous.

22. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Steve, what is Chantal’s degree in? All it states on the bio page is that she is a graduate of the University of Washington.

23. Ellieanne

February 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

“The interview/screening process for the show is much more extensive than the process to get a secret security clearance for a gov job.
    Hell, the show’s investigative process is comparable to an S.C.I. clearance.
    Ridiculous.”

So, that would rule out all the people on this site who can’t even find the spoilers from ever becoming a Bachelor/Bachelorette.

24. JenJen

February 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Chantal likely *is* financially independent. Remember she was married to a rock star for ten years. I’m sure she took a pretty penny from him in the divorce settlement.

25. RTV

February 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM

CH was on Extra tonight (& ET). I saw the Extra show. They showed short promo. Mario asked CH, “Did Brad picked someone” and CH said “yes and it was a surprise”. Mario..”So, is it good”..CH “It’s good TV if he went down in flames or picks someone” (he laughs) “But she’s the right one (slight pause)…for HIM”.
    So CH is preparing the Emily fans for the big shocker and trying to to tell them that Chantal is right one for Brad, not Emily.

26. Lightbulb

February 25, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I’m not surprised it’s not Emily. She is very pretty, but her personality does not fit especially for a lead. I think they would have liked it to be her, but I tend to think it was the producers who nixed it. Ashley is the “girl next door.” She also provides more ups and downs with emotions. The show can more easily create drama around her; It’s an easier edit.

27. nancy 1794

February 26, 2011 at 6:53 AM

Chantal was marred for about FOUR years – to some unknown “musician”. Rock Star-NOT.

28. lemon-lime

February 26, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Agree nancy. When I googled to find out who her ex was- I had never heard of him. Granted, pretty much all I listen to is Bob Dylan, but I still hear of famous people via magazines, tv, etc. Until yesterday, I didn’t know justin vena or the band acceptance existed.

Well I guess nothing much happened at the WTA, cause RS ain’t posted anything about it.

29. mhalterm

February 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM

In this video Brad has the picture little ricki made him hanging on the fridge:
    And this video was done long ago. Just another hint!