Reader Emails

Ashley as the Next “Bachelorette” Reaction & More “Reader Emails”

Steve,

I generally enjoy your columns, but I have a major bone to pick with you. It has to do with the Reality Steve Dating Contest you mentioned a little while ago. You used your website to promote this contest. Your website is dedicated to the TV show “The Bachelor”, which gives details surrounding a dating contest.

It is COMPLETELY hypocritical for you to promote your own Dating Contest on this site and then not give your readers details of the dates. COMPLETELY hypocritcal and unacceptable. Your fans demand details on the dates you had related to the contest. How many women did you meet? How many did you give roses to (i.e. second dates)? How many were selected for Hometown Dates (i.e. come to Dallas?). What specifically happened on those dates?

We want details and we want them now!!

Comment: The very first thing I said when I started promoting the dating contest was at no point was I going to share the whole “journey” in my blog. Disrespectful to the women, and it’s something I just wouldn’t do. Have you noticed in eight years of writing this column, never once have I ever talked about my current dating life at the time? It’s pointless. Never have and never will. Now granted, there were plenty of stretches in there where I had no dating life to speak of, but regardless, when I was dating someone I never talked about it. I love how this person is using ALL CAPS to essentially curse me out on my own site for something I already told them I wasn’t going to do.

You wanna know about the dating contest? It didn’t work. There’s your answer. I met four girls, three from outside of Texas, and it didn’t work. That’s about all the details you’re getting. It was never for public consumption. Hell, even if it did work out with one of them I wasn’t going to talk about it. I mean, sure I would’ve mentioned it if we hit a 6 month mark or something like that, but if people were expecting play-by-plays of our dates, forget it. That was never going to happen. My “fans” weren’t demanding any details on the dates outside of this person. Geez, how nosy was that email? Yikes. Please tell me people are interested in something more than my dating life. Embarrassing.
_____________________________________________________________________

I am really disappointed that you give away WHO Brad picks. You do it every time, and it is not even worth watching any longer. Unfortunately, many people no longer watch the series because of this. WHY, do you feel the need to “tell all?”

Comment: “Not even worth watching any longer”. Great. Then don’t. Unless someone is holding a gun to your head every Monday night for 2 hours, no one’s forcing you to watch this garbage.

“Unfortunately, many people no longer watch the series because of this”. Ummm, have you seen the ratings lately? 5 straight weeks it’s won the 18-49 Women demographic. Not to mention also for 5 straight weeks, it’s increased its audience size. This past Monday drew 10.3 million, it’s highest of the season. I’m telling you, it’s the same thing every season. First episode draws interest, then people go away for a few episodes because they feel the 2nd-4th episodes aren’t really that important because there’s still so many women around, and the exotic traveling hasn’t started. Then when it’s narrowed down to 6-8 people left, audience starts coming back since there’s less names to remember, the crazy location dates are usually starting, and you can start familiarizing yourself with everyone left. There is no secret formula to this show, people. It’s the SAME THING EVERY SEASON, just with a different cast.

“Why do you feel the need to ‘tell all’?” Because I can, that’s why. And plenty of people want to know. Just because you don’t certainly doesn’t mean others don’t want to. The traffic to the site suggests otherwise. Biggest season I’ve had to date regarding traffic.
_____________________________________________________________________

Does every contestant on the show have his or her own handler throughout filming or do the contestants share them until the cast is narrowed down more? Do they use the same handlers from season to season? Do they have men handlers for male contestants and women handlers for female contestants? Are the handlers people who are trying to get into the entertainment biz? You’ve also talked about some of the responsibilities these handlers have in past columns, but what exactly are the particulars of their job?

Comment: Once again, back to our resident expert/former contestant to answer this one. I’ve never been on the show obviously, so it’s much better answered by someone who has:

There are handlers around for the first few weeks of filming. Their roles are to get groceries when you need them, keep the bar stocked, tidy up, and get the contestants or production staff anything else they need.

Once you get to hometown dates, each of the 4 contestants is assigned a handler for the remaining time on the show. Since you are separated and living out of a hotel, at this point, they can take you out shopping, out to eat, etc. They are your only travel companion when you change locations, etc.

They use different handlers every season. These are basically a bunch of you people who are trying to get in to the entertainment biz, so they are all fairly new and useless.

Girls get girls and guys get guys.”
_____________________________________________________________________

Send your emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. See you Tuesday.

1. loca4linda2

February 25, 2011 at 9:38 AM

Yeah!! I’m 1st. Once again, you are hilarious and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute while reading your column.

I can’t wait to hear about the WTA. You are the best Steve!!

2. Nobody

February 25, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Hey Steve’O, the person who wrote the long ass email and called you rude can go fuck him / herself.

There…. hows that for rude?

The O’Brien family IS the most “materialistic, fake, and plastic” bunch of “uppity snobs” the show has ever put on air. Has there eever been a more narcissistic family ever shown on reality TV?

3. MindyLouWho

February 25, 2011 at 9:47 AM

OMG Steve! I never fail to get a good laugh out of your Friday Emails, totally funny. After working in retail for 5 years, I knew there were stupid people in the world, but they never cease to amaze me. Love reading the blog, and watching the show (for entertainment value of course). Just wanted to say this to everyone out there that think this is a “real” love story, It’s not. All they want is ratings, that’s it! They don’t give a rat’s tushy if the lead falls in love, as long as they get good ratings on the journey there.
    I’ve said my peace, now I look forward to all the ridiculous comments to follow about how Steve is out of line, and “I can’t find the spoilers” even though he has made it so easy a 5 year old can find them, sheesh.

4. nancy 1794

February 25, 2011 at 9:59 AM

I’m not an Ashley fan but I’ll watch. I don’t watch it so much for whoever is the bach/ette —
    I watch the show for the laughs I get at seeing the sheer desparation and stupidity of today’s
    youth-! And the relief I feel that I am NOT participating in what they are doing! Those are the reasons I watch and I like seeing the resorts and places they travel to on the away dates.

Yes as someone pointed out Chantal’s family is so nouveau-riche,…I thought their house was actually beyond tacky it was vulgar – very “grandiose”. Vomit-worthy. An over-done hotel lobby! People with more money than taste who want to “show off” build homes like these and decorate them to “impress”. It’s an “in-your-face house”. These types of people are not so much narcissistic as they are insecure.

5. spins22

February 25, 2011 at 10:35 AM

Hilarious e-mails this week!!! I can’t believe the questions some people have (i.e. the contestants’ height) hahaha And whoever said that the site navigation problem had to do with add blocks is wrong, my coworker and i have google chrome and firefox. We were both able to see spoilers with it on and off!

6. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 10:38 AM

spins, a lot of people use

http://adblockplus.org/en/ as an add-on to Firefox.

There’s a lot of spam, ads in Steve’s links and many people abwhore that… 😉

7. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM

Having said that, he fixed it by providing a secondary link that is ad-free. People, please stop talking about it, Steve has FIXED the problems brought up by us. 🙂

8. spins22

February 25, 2011 at 10:41 AM

I don’t want to argue but i my coworker is an engineer and knows the ins and outs of computers pretty well. She was able to read it weeks ago and changed her settings to check. Just saying.

9. spins22

February 25, 2011 at 10:48 AM

haha and he did fix it but judging by the emails posted today people still can’t see the spoilers. Too funny!

10. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 10:54 AM

Well, those people may have scripts disabled and forget to enable coming to the site. This site is heavily ad laden so…. you gotta open up your security. For those of you using http://noscript.net/ and similar, “allow” this site! 🙂

11. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 10:55 AM

I hate the way smilies don’t appear where you place them. LOL!!!

12. misskristinlynn

February 25, 2011 at 11:04 AM

Im actually excited to watch Ashley, shes cute & entertaining… Emily would have been beyond boring.

& the person who asked if Brad picked the women because they’re successful, I honestly think that might matter. Chantal obviously has money (or daddys money) so Brad knows she isn’t after him for his money. Who the hell wants a moocher when they’ve worked hard for their money?

13. Athena

February 25, 2011 at 11:58 AM

Watching the Bachelor continues to be a guilty pleasure of mine, and the only thing that eases my shame is knowing how many other saps there are out there, and R.Steve’s humor and recaps.

Sure, sometimes his particular spin hits a tender spot for me (ie: poking fun at Chantal’s weight), but hey, why complain about that when I’m laughing myself silly over the other pokes he’s making.

A testosterone-fueled perspective is fun.

14. asylvia

February 25, 2011 at 11:59 AM

from Jen’s season, I recall she had some input in the kind of men she was looking for. I think Brad had requested women who were financially independent because he keeps saying all season how Chantal is different from women he’s known. he said he loves her confidence and independence. and that is likely what he was looking for.

If we believe Brad was really involved with Laurel for 8 years, then it is fair to she is the “needy, clingy, and dependent on others for financial support” person he has been referring to.

since Steve says this isn’t a gossip column but as has been pointed out, the site is filled with gossip, then lets just say Brad was supporting Laurel all those years, and when he dumped her and cut her off, she ran to the press to sell some lame-ass story to make money until she rounds up some other dumb ass sugar daddy…

and for all the rude comments about Chantal’s family, you people (including Steve) should admit you’re jealous and wish you lived like the O’Brians. I’ll admit I wouldn’t mind living in that house, with oceanview and looking as good as her mom looks…good for them!

15. SherryfromD

February 25, 2011 at 12:19 PM

I’m not sure I would classify Chantal as independent. She is wealthy because of Daddy’s money and because he probably pays her a ridiculous amount to be an admin. But staying in his good graces is probably required to continue living that lifestyle.

And not sure how successful it is, but doesn’t Laurel own her own business…spa, salon or something?

16. Rainytown

February 25, 2011 at 12:58 PM

Hey Steve, you leave me a bit confused. You brag in today’s column about the “second income” thrown off from visitors to this site, but then you insult those who wade through the ad pop-ups, etcetera, to read five pages of information that could be condensed into one. Do you insult the customer and/or co-workers at your other gig, too?

Do yourself a favor: If it’s just too stressful to respond to those e-mailers whose intellect is not quite as dazzling as your own, perhaps you should stop. After all, why would you want to keep catering to the middle aged housewives/cat lovers/overweight women that read your comments? Surely you could find more productive ways to spend your precious time.

The Bachelor/Bachelorette may be a guilty pleasure, but those 18-49 year old women who are visiting your site are capable of noting your advertisers, Steve. You might want to consider that.

17. MAC

February 25, 2011 at 1:17 PM

I’d just like to say that I’m happy Ashley will be the next Bachelorette! I 100% prefer her over Emily. No offense to Emily at all, but in comparison she seems so shy and reserved while Ashley is energetic and bubbly.

Can’t wait for the Bachelorette!!!!

Thanks Steve – Great job as usual!

18. spins22

February 25, 2011 at 1:20 PM

So i guess we won’t be seeing Rainytown on this site anymore!

19. jax71868

February 25, 2011 at 1:21 PM

Great job as usual, Steve. I can’t believe you get so many emails about how rude your blog is. If they don’t like it, why are they reading it? Some people have no life and take this show way too seriously.

20. nancy 1794

February 25, 2011 at 2:36 PM

hey asylvia—you said:

please just speak for yourself. I am NOT jealous and I do NOT
    wish I lived in that fugly over done and under lived house. Yes, vulgar is the right word. Grotesquely VULGAR. Such a large house for such a small family. Ostentatious!
    That is one really really ugly mansion Now I DO wish I had the $$ to build a house that costs what that one did to build but MY house would be entirely different.

21. lemon-lime

February 25, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Hell, the show’s investigative process is comparable to an S.C.I. clearance.
    Ridiculous.

22. pulp

February 25, 2011 at 4:17 PM

Steve, what is Chantal’s degree in? All it states on the bio page is that she is a graduate of the University of Washington.

23. Ellieanne

February 25, 2011 at 5:04 PM

“The interview/screening process for the show is much more extensive than the process to get a secret security clearance for a gov job.
    Hell, the show’s investigative process is comparable to an S.C.I. clearance.
    Ridiculous.”

So, that would rule out all the people on this site who can’t even find the spoilers from ever becoming a Bachelor/Bachelorette.

24. JenJen

February 25, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Chantal likely *is* financially independent. Remember she was married to a rock star for ten years. I’m sure she took a pretty penny from him in the divorce settlement.

25. RTV

February 25, 2011 at 5:49 PM

CH was on Extra tonight (& ET). I saw the Extra show. They showed short promo. Mario asked CH, “Did Brad picked someone” and CH said “yes and it was a surprise”. Mario..”So, is it good”..CH “It’s good TV if he went down in flames or picks someone” (he laughs) “But she’s the right one (slight pause)…for HIM”.
    So CH is preparing the Emily fans for the big shocker and trying to to tell them that Chantal is right one for Brad, not Emily.

26. Lightbulb

February 25, 2011 at 10:48 PM

I’m not surprised it’s not Emily. She is very pretty, but her personality does not fit especially for a lead. I think they would have liked it to be her, but I tend to think it was the producers who nixed it. Ashley is the “girl next door.” She also provides more ups and downs with emotions. The show can more easily create drama around her; It’s an easier edit.

27. nancy 1794

February 26, 2011 at 6:53 AM

Chantal was marred for about FOUR years – to some unknown “musician”. Rock Star-NOT.

28. lemon-lime

February 26, 2011 at 9:53 AM

Agree nancy. When I googled to find out who her ex was- I had never heard of him. Granted, pretty much all I listen to is Bob Dylan, but I still hear of famous people via magazines, tv, etc. Until yesterday, I didn’t know justin vena or the band acceptance existed.

Well I guess nothing much happened at the WTA, cause RS ain’t posted anything about it.

29. mhalterm

February 28, 2011 at 10:13 AM

In this video Brad has the picture little ricki made him hanging on the fridge:
    And this video was done long ago. Just another hint!