The Bachelor 15 - Brad

“Women Tell All” Recap – 3/7/11 Including Lots of Other News and Links

A few other quick notes about the show last night:

-Ashley Spivey on the hot seat was, once again, painful to watch. Man, that chick has been through a lot. It’s almost like this show made things worse for her. But definitely came out looking as one of the more likable people the show has had, and I know a lot of you would’ve liked to see her as the “Bachelorette”. I just don’t know if that role really would’ve fit her. Sure, she’d have a good story going in, but something tells me she’s better than this show.

-They really couldn’t have put Shawntel up in the hot seat to talk about the whole funeral director thing? I’m sure she was none too happy about the lack of coverage they got last night. I mean, she is one of the more interesting characters they’ve ever had, I figured they’d at least give her some time to go over the funeral stuff again. Plus, as Chris Harrison referred to in his blog today, she’s well liked. The two Ashleys and Shawntel got the biggest applause from the audience when their name was announced, so people would no doubt want to hear from her.

-Once again, the bloopers and outtakes were the most enjoyable part of the show. Which goes to show once again that some of these people actually have a personality that never gets shown because of the façade of this TV show they have to put on and pretend they’re all serious all the time about “falling in love” and “experiencing this journey” blah blah blah. Show more footage of these people making asses of themselves and having a good time rather than trying to make people believe this is so freakin’ serious and real. Lighten up.

-As for the finale next week, all the info I have is in the “Bachelor Brad Spoilers” link at the top of the page. If I get any more before next Monday, I will definitely print it. But I’m telling you, nothing out of the ordinary really happens. Normal rose ceremony, he lets Chantal go, he proposes to Emily, she says yes, and they are still engaged to this day and will be talking about all their happiness on the ATFR taping today. Don’t where this latest rumor started from some morning FM DJ who’s claiming they have sources who say Brad and Emily are already broken up. They’re not. And you’ll see it next Monday when the ATFR airs.

Gonna be back with another video blog on Friday. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Email address is steve@realitysteve.com. Or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you Friday.

1. Rikki-tikki-tavi

March 9, 2011 at 10:02 PM

How ridiculous was Raichel blaming Melissa for “ruining” her chances. We understand why she was dismissed so soon, but she had no chance of being the F1. If Brad thought dinner conversation with Shawntel might be awkward, imagine what he thought about Raichel’s profession. “Hey honey, tell me all about the guy’s undercarriage that you waxed today!” Chris was hoping for a “moment” but Raichel wouldn’t apologize to Melissa, which according to Raichel’s own words from her exit means Melissa won {insert Woody Woodpecker laugh}.

So what was the worst thing Michelle said about the other women? Being called little girls was the worst they could remember (she said it in the first episode and again in Vegas). Other women said worse things about her – a minute before they had even shown a clip of Alli saying Michelle was like an “evil bitch”. Obviously Michelle made this season what it was (I said before it should be called Michelle’s season rather than Brad’s season) and it was clear that most agreed and appreciated her contributions. It stands to reason that Michelle had so many ITM’s that made the final cut was because she was so entertaining. Did Jackie have any that were memorable? Or Stacey? I remember Marissa making light of Shawntel’s date in Vegas, confidently saying it’s only a first date, you’re not a couple. But she looked just as jealous as the other women when Shawntel was showing off what she got while shopping. And of course Marissa never had a one on one date with Brad.

2. nancy 1794

March 10, 2011 at 7:08 AM

Sarcasm is a from of veiled anger. If Michelle was truly being “sarcastic” with all her comments during
    TB then she must have a lot of anger and rage inside. To be that nasty, sarcastic, controlling and selfish
    can indicate she has some sort of mental problem – a borderline personality disorder perhaps- or maybe she is
    bi-polar. Something is very wrong with her. I read that ” Money” is her ex husband’s name that she still uses
    & that she cheated on him. What I read said he is a very good guy and people that know him wish
    she would drop his name so as not to be associated with her.

3. Small_Peanut

March 10, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Sarcasm: A form of humor that is marked by mocking with irony, sometimes conveyed in speech with vocal over-emphasis. …
    en.wiktionary.org/wiki/sarcasm

Nancy, being sarcastic has NOTHING to do with being bi-polar, look at Charlie Sheen, that is bi-polar. So your saying 90% of the people that use a form of sarcasm thoughout their daily lives are all bi-poalr, really? Lighten up, sounds like you feel better about YOURSELF by putting some contestant down on the show. I will support the others, if it wasn’t’ for Michelle, the bachelor would have been B-O-R-I-N-G, she said 90% of that stuff tongue-in-cheek (Tongue-in-cheek is a phrase used as a figure of speech to imply that a statement or other production is ironically intended and it should not be taken at face value.), Please, note, SHOULD NOT BE TAKEN AT FACE VALUE. Look, if you can’t laugh at yourself, then who can you laugh at? It takes a strong person to say you know, maybe I was a bit over the top as she did on the WTA and then apologized not once but “repeatedly”. She didn’t kill anyone, she didn’t hurt anyone and she said nothing that stood out that was god awful and spiteful now did she? She never said anything that was so mean spirited as some of the other girls! To me, this is no different than kicking a dog while it’s down, it’s cruel and unwarranted and I lost any respect I had for Jackie, she’s clearly jealous and/or auditioning to be on bachelor pad 2. To keep harping on her is just plain ridiculous and shows that perhaps you/she have/has your own insecurities you need to deal with. Nuf said!

4. jennstinn

March 10, 2011 at 10:32 AM

nancy—wow, spoken truly like a person that doesn’t understand sarcasm. Also, I think A LOT of women keep their ex-husband’s name after a divorce–esp. when there’s a child involved.

Anyone else getting a sound advertisement when you go to RS’s blog now? Super annoying.

5. Dianne

March 10, 2011 at 10:44 AM

nancy..sounds like you’re pretty much describing yourself in your most recent post. I still go by my ex-husbands name, and the only reason I do is because of our daughter, so your theory regarding why Michelle still uses the laste name Money, is a crock.

6. thewipf

March 10, 2011 at 10:54 AM

It’s clear that a lot of people have forgotten just how manipulative the editing of this show is. All the girls said they loved Michelle in the house. It wasn’t until the show aired that they began to hate on her. This show is famous for putting voice overs and ITMs in out of context. I’m sure if Michelle had made it to the end they would have made her look like the nicest girl in the house. I think she came across great in the WTA, and I’m in the Ashlee H. looked great camp.

7. finerthings

March 10, 2011 at 11:26 AM

For someone who doesn’t like sarcasm, its hilarious that you are commenting on REALITY STEVE’s site! Bahaha.

8. nancy 1794

March 10, 2011 at 11:41 AM

hey Small_Peanut Says–read much-?
    I did NOT say that 90% of people that use sarcasm
    are bi-polar. I did not even say that I think Michelle is bi-polar. I said
    Her BEHAVIOR may POSSIBLY indicate a personality disorder…such
    as borderline personality disorder or bi-polar. Sarcasm is funny
    sometimes & very appropriate but continuously being sarcastic indicates anger. Read up on it.
    That is if your attention span will allow you to actually READ. You moron!

Here are some indicators
    of borderline personality disorder – look at these and ask yourself
    if Michelle displayed all of these or not:

mood swings
    impulsivity
    anger
    unstable relationships
    manipulative
    inappropriate emotions
    acting without regard of consequences
    using others without regard for their feelings
    being self-centered
    need for a lot of praise & approval
    not able to learn from experience
    quick to become angry
    attention seeking behaviors
    lying
    stealing
    cheating
    critical of others

9. SherryfromD

March 10, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I don’t think the article from 2005 proves the In Touch article to be false. Maybe the 2005 article is false, and the Hendricks were just saying those things to put up a facade that Emily and Ricky were previously engaged since they are a conservative family…

10. Cndgirl

March 10, 2011 at 1:07 PM

Hahaha @finerthings! I was thinking along those lines…wow I’m surprised how serious many people are in the comment section on RS’s site! It’s almost as entertaining as RS’s blog itself.

11. Small_Peanut

March 10, 2011 at 1:15 PM

Nancy, I have one word for YOU “therapy”, good luck with that.

12. nancy 1794

March 10, 2011 at 1:17 PM

On the Bachelor show, every single time she was on camera, there was a sarcastic comment coming out of Michelle’s BIG mouth. So much so that it became her personality.
    Michelle’s defense was that she has an extremely dry sense of humor.
    Like Julie-Julie says on her blog, I too have friends with very dry humor …but they are
    also SMART–and they are not sarcastic non-stop, ad nauseum. Michelle really doesn’t strike me as especially smart, funny or witty.
    And having endless sarcastic comments doesn’t allow your TRUE personality to shine through. So her bad judgement – or her “acting” – allowed her to be be regarded as nasty, a bitch or a wonderful & witty “sarcastic” woman. I’m thinking the ones who LOVED her sarcasm have some huge anger issues
    themselves and are living vicariously through Michelle.

13. nancy 1794

March 10, 2011 at 1:19 PM

Oh gee Small Peanut – Thanks for the suggestion. Drop dead twice you idiot.

14. Small_Peanut

March 10, 2011 at 1:27 PM

Nancy, If you go back and read your posts you have named called (nasty name calling), made threats and those that are trying to explain Michelle’s POV have done neither to you, so if you want to lecture on bi-polar and anger, read your posts, I find them a little disturbing and this is my last post to you. I hope you find the help you need and it’s not going to be here.

15. Nobody

March 10, 2011 at 2:00 PM

Can I join this?

CALM DOWN, BITCHES!!!!!!

Ok, I feel better. You may reconvene with the cat fight.

16. finerthings

March 10, 2011 at 5:33 PM

Hey SP, Nancy is a l’il notorious on this forum (and i feel a l’il queasy that i know that….and that I said “l’il” twice.)

Don’t waste your pretty time! <3

17. Athena

March 10, 2011 at 6:29 PM

Like many of you, I found Michelle’s campy humor completely engaging and one of the main highlights of the season. My ONLY complaint about her was her “poor pitiful me” on the WTA. I wish she’d kept being more spunky like she was in her 1:1’s. The fact that she didn’t makes me wonder just how overly edited those spunky comments really were and whether the meek-girl personna we saw on WTA is a lot more of who she really is than the other one that I liked so much.

If so…too bad.

18. Sal1968

March 10, 2011 at 7:23 PM

What I find “too bad” is how many women admire Michelle & find her
    sarcastic attitude “spunky”. Michelle made it seem all about her. Every episode it was all about her.
    She was one person around the girls and someone else with Brad. I have no respect for her at all. She’s does indeed have some personality issues.
    I would not want to be her friend. i would not trust her – I think she’s a snake. But she did not deserve to be treated cruelly like she was by those catty women on the WTA.

19. Trojan.footballs

March 10, 2011 at 8:57 PM

WTF is with this page loading FOUR videos that are obnoxious loud, that you can’t find without scrolling down the whole page, and that once you find them, you can’t stop easily anyway??? Every time I clicked on a link from this page, then came back, the page reloads and the noise from the four (Three of them the same eyebrow ad, btw) starts up again, wakes my dog, and gets him barking! C’mon Steve, spend a few minutes to learn good web design, please? …or get someone to help you!

20. Dianne

March 11, 2011 at 5:51 AM

Small Peanut – do yourself a favour and ignore nancy. As you can see, she’s pretty rude and ignorant. She’ll lash out at anyone that she feels she can/needs to. Unfortunately, it seems to be your turn this week. Nancy certainly does need professional help in a huge way, but she doesn’t seem to care. So, as finerthings notes, don’t waste your time on nancy..you’re only fueling her angry/rude rants, and we certainly don’t need to see that here.

21. sweetness34

March 12, 2011 at 10:28 AM

@bahurupiya: Interesting post. I actually went back to 2/25 to see what you were referencing. I can understand ABC wanting to cast an accessible bachelorette, but I also don’t think accessible and bland necessarily equate.

One point that Steve and ABC are overlooking is that human beings like looking at and watching pretty, good-looking human beings of both sexes. Magazines geared toward men and women always have beautiful women on the cover.

Look at the typical romantic comedy heroines of the past 15 years–Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, and Sandra Bullock. You rarely see a heroine that looks average. Many of your typical romantic comedies have a heroine that’s usually smart, witty, funny, and stylish. So the heroine is beautiful and has qualities that the female viewer looks up to, but the screen writers find ways to make her relatable. Plus, the actress has a certain degree of charisma that’s brought to the character.

Yes, this is a reality show and not a movie. However, the same principles can apply. Steve is right that ABC won’t–and shouldn’t—cast a model with huge cans. Going back to the rom com analogy, Meg Ryan isn’t Pam Anderson. So yes, ABC shouldn’t cast a Pam Anderson-type as the Bachelorette, but they could try to cast a Meg Ryan or Sandra Bullock-type.

For the show to be even semi-believable (if that’s even possible), you have to at least have some illusion that 25 good-looking and well-built men would actually want to compete over the bachelorette. To me, Jillian, Ali, and Ashley don’t fit that at all. They may be nice people and have some good qualities, and they attractive. However, “real-life” attractive and “TV” attractive are two separate things.

You make good points about why Shawntel or Ashley S might not work, but this is where ABC needs to dig deeper and not automatically go to Ashley just because she was in the final 4. Steve is right that we’ll still watch, but I contend that ABC could do better.

22. bahurupiya

March 15, 2011 at 2:19 PM

@sweetness34 Well, I was trying to balance my agreement with some of the phenomena Steve was describing, although obviously his views and mine on the subject of women have some differences.

The blog is about the show, after all, not about his cultural values, or mine. 🙂

“Bland” is a very subjective term. So much so that I hesitated to use it, and did so only because I was unable to think of a more appealing synonym!

I totally agree with you about the movie heroines, in fact, that’s what I was trying to say, but you said it better, and in fewer words (though the latter may sound like damning by faint praise since I can’t order a pizza in a few words).

Sandra Bulloch is a good example of a sort of accessible-aspirational fusion, as she is able to portray qualities of both.

And while again, this is very subjective, many, if not most of her movies also tend to have strong storylines – and that’s the main way that The Bachelor diverges.

The Bachelor storyline, if we can even call it that, is minimal: one guy or girl – a mess of suitors, last contender standing wins big plush.

Unlike the movie script, it’s principal purpose is identification. Young men and women are intended to see themselves in the Bacheor/Bachelorette, and in order that the largest number of viewers may do that, the ideal candidate must be – like the traditional “ingenue” or “leading lady” in telenovelas, be as devoid of the impediment and distraction of personality characteristics as possible.

Kind of like many “office cultures,” where the workers most likely to succeed will be the ones who do the best job of leaving their “personal” selves at home, and maintaining a consistent “professional demeanor” in the workplace.

The focus is on the business, the product or service being sold to the customer. They’re not there to enjoy the worker’s charming ways or rapier wit!

Thus must the focus of the Bachelor/Bachelorette be to remain not only accessible, but “identifiable with” as many viewers as possible, because that translates into a larger number of dollars for ABC!

If I may be forgiven for repeating myself, it’s called “average” for a reason, and just as most of us have “average intelligence,” so do most of us have “average” personalities, meaning that most of us are not remarkable, we do not “stand out,” the average person is not a hoot.

If the Bachelor/Bachelorette should be more “personable” than average, and as you point out, more physically attractive than average – like everybody else on TV.

Would the Duggar family be in their 6th season if they did not all have good TV faces, slim builds and excellent dentition?

So the goal is not so much to present the reality of average, but to achieve the appearance, perception, and zeitgeist of an idealized average.

Whew! Now my fingers are tired!

23. sweetness34

March 22, 2011 at 9:00 AM

@bahurupiya I think you make good points. In pondering it further, maybe I’m holding the potential Bachelorettes to a too high standard. Perhaps I was trying to equate the Bachelor and Bachelorette too much. When the Bachelor first started (thinking all the way back to the Alex and Aaron seasons), it seemed like ABC would pick a guy that they thought many women would like to date–good looking, fit, financially stable/wealthy, good personality,etc.

They’ve obviously gone a different way with the Bachelorette and I think for the very reasons you state, especially since the show is geared towards women.

Anyway, I appreciate your posts and your insights. I was a bit hard on Ashley being selected, but I think she’s likable in many ways and like I said, “real-life attractive”, so I’ll just get on board with it and root for her.