The Bachelor 15 - Brad

Some ATFR Notes…Is the Final Couple Still Together?

For episode-by-episode spoilers of Brad’s season, click on the link above that says “Bachelor Brad Spoilers” (it’s like, 1″ inch above this sentence. Twice). It has a breakdown of every date, rose, and elimination, all the way down to Brad’s final choice. Which of course was modified since there was some kinda big news revealed on Mon, February 28th. Don’t know if you heard. However, there will be spoilers talked about throughout the course of this column. You’ve been warned.

It’s safe to say that ever since my post on Feb. 28th where I told you that I had been wrong for three months that Brad wasn’t with Chantal and he was with Emily, the rumor mill has been going crazy. Rumors tend to spread like wildfire, and there’s really no way to stop them. I can say that everything I’ve printed since Feb. 28th will be proven to be true tomorrow night. The details I gave you about the finale and what you will see are still 100% solid. The emails and tweets I get telling me that it’s just a misinformation campaign to make sure I’m wrong couldn’t be any further from the truth. I would not have eaten crow for three months of telling everyone Brad and Chantal were together if I wasn’t absolutely, 1000% sure. I would never have changed the ending if I didn’t think it was true, and it is. From Feb. 28th on, there’s never been any doubt in my mind Brad and Emily were engaged. All Tuesday’s “After the Final Rose” taping did was make it that much more solid.

It’s funny because I’ve gotten a lot of tweets and emails about inconsequential things like what Brad told Chantal on this date, or how he looked at her on this date, and “you may be wrong because Brad really seems like he’s into Chantal more than Emily”, etc. I guess those would be important things to bring up if Brad was making his decision live tomorrow night, or if this show was filmed in real time. The outcome of this season was determined four months ago. Nothings changed. Nothing you saw on TV for the last 2 ½ months can somehow change what you’re going to see tomorrow night. They will edit the show how they want you to see it, so it boggles me that people are so hell bent on analyzing what they see on the screen when what you’re seeing from January through March has nothing to do with the outcome that happened on Nov. 19th where Brad proposed to Emily and she said yes.

So here’s where we’re at in terms of what happened at Tuesday’s ATFR taping:

(What I’ve already told you):

-Chantal does mention that she is happy and dating someone

-There was zero mention of the “Bachelorette” announcement

-Brad and Emily are engaged

(What I’ve since found out):

-The three “successful” couples from this show (Ali and Roberto, Jason and Molly, Trista and Ryan), all take the stage together to talk about life as a couple from this show

-Here’s the biggie: Brad and Emily are engaged, but that it’s not without its problems. While on stage, they do talk about the fact that they’ve already broken up once in these last three months, but they are together now, still engaged, and working on things.

-The vibe I’ve gotten from the show is this: Brad and Emily are putting on a happy face and doing this for show but are pretty much doomed. The ATFR almost seemed like an intervention from the shows successful couples to tell them how to make it. Almost like a pep talk from the others considering the slippy ground Brad and Emily are currently on. Will it work? Who knows? But if they’ve already admittedly broken up once before they can even be a public couple, do I really expect them to last? Apparently it is very tense when these two were on stage, things are not all roses and daffodils between them, and they’ve definitely had their struggles already. I don’t know who broke up with who, what the reason was, or when it happened, but they do mention that it did happen and they are working on their relationship. Uh oh.

I think the ironic thing in all of this is it’s really starting to sound like Laurel knew what she was talking about when she gave the interview to US Weekly. I mean, Laurels told me for months she would not be surprised if Brad and Emily broke up and got back together at some point, because that’s who Brad is and what he does. She even mentioned it in the US Weekly article that he would break up with her on a Saturday, then two days later change his mind and get back together with her. And it happened ALL THE TIME. So, hearing that Brad and Emily have broken up once already shouldn’t surprise anyone if you really read what Laurel had to say. They asked her if she thought Brad was a changed man, she said no, gave examples, and people doubted her. Maybe the woman actually knows what she’s talking about. Hey, if you’re in the DFW area, you can ask her yourself tomorrow night at our watch party.

Brad and Emily are scheduled to be the cover story in People magazine this week. However, I have no idea if the Japan earthquake coverage will bump them off. If it still runs, I’m sure they will address all their “issues” in the People story so stay tuned for that. I’m curious to see how much of their “issues” get shown during tomorrows ATFR. I mean, they can’t make it seem like they have no problems and everything is just peaches and cream, because it’s not. It was quite tense up on stage from everything I was told and there was some serious talk going on about their relationship. In terms of exact details, I don’t have that. We’ll all have to watch for those, but by no means will this be a typical ATFR where the final couple appears together all happy and giddy and talk about starting their life together. The ONLY thing I’ve heard regarding what their issues could possibly be surrounding is that Emily is the one who is reluctant to move and isn’t sure about the whole thing. But that’s just what I’ve heard. Take it how you’d like.

I never thought that in the fifteen seasons they’ve had the show, that Brad Womack would be the first guy to marry the final one he chose. Never. Doesn’t mean that he can’t change my mind, but lets be realistic here people. We’ve heard about his relationship past, and his commitment issues, and then all the therapy stuff, not to mention his Laurel obsession that lasted for a good 8 years on and off. Do I think he turned the corner in a matter of months and is a completely different guy? No. Can he and Emily work on things and eventually walk down the aisle? Sure they can. Will they? I highly doubt it. To put it bluntly, lets just say I’m not too worried about having to get these two a wedding gift. I think my money is safe on that front. But hey, if they prove me wrong, I’ll absolutely stand behind what I say and get them a gift. To me, it doesn’t seem like the guy has changed. I guess I’ll know more once we see them talking tomorrow night about what caused the break up before getting back together, but man, if they’re already breaking up before they can actually be a public couple, I have no idea how this is gonna work in the end.

1. Jeneva

March 13, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I hope Brad makes it work with Emily. She is a class act, stunningly beautiful, and very poised and mature for her 24 years.

And thank heavens he eliminated Chantal…who was surprisingly vacuous, embarassingly over-emotional, and possessed no class at all . . .

2. jennstinn

March 13, 2011 at 8:23 PM

uh oh spaghettios. not a good sign. love the idea of the, but this def. isn’t promising. before you’re a public couple is when you can live in secluded bliss–that seems like it would be the easiest time. can’t wait to see this tomorrow–hopefully they can work it out.

3. divrdwn41

March 13, 2011 at 8:36 PM

As I’ve continued to say, Ricki is still and will always be Rick Hendrick’s grand daughter. It would take more than a 3 month friendship to give Emily a sound enough reason to take Rick’s grand daughter half way across the country from him.

4. RTV

March 13, 2011 at 8:44 PM

No surprise. Emily won’t leave the Henrick millions for a dufus old guy like Brad Womack. She will never move to Austin. They are done and just trying to ease the pain for the Emily fans when they find out it’s over or they never would say a word about it at the AFRC, if there is any hope for a future together.This show is so fake.

5. cynstriss

March 13, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Laurel may be in the know, but I also wonder why someone would stick with someone for eight years when they continue to leave and return. I would not keep them in my life, that is for certain. Maybe she is hoping he will still return to her. Whatever happens, I hope everyone ends up happy. I really like Brad and Emily together, but of course all I know is what the producers want me to see.

6. writeone

March 13, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Well, since rumors are starting how about the rumor that the real reason that Emily broke up with Brad is because he can’t stop thinking about Chantal and he was thinking of pulling a Meznick but Chantal said screw that and found a real man who has more money than Brad and who knows how to say “I do.”

7. writeone

March 13, 2011 at 8:59 PM

Oh, by the way Steve, since they didn’t announce the new Bachelorette until the J Kimmel Live show ATFR, Chantal could have been the one after she was seen as dumped. That is if they could have kept it a secret, but it was possible

8. Nobody

March 14, 2011 at 5:01 AM

I really hope no one is surprised by this. Like RS mentioned, Brad is a wishy washy kind of guy, and Laurel confirmed it in her interview. He’s best left to chasing the teenage skirts back at his bars.

9. finerthings

March 14, 2011 at 6:11 AM

I know this show isn’t real and stuff…but this bums me out.

10. lvp033

March 14, 2011 at 6:14 AM

Being long distance is NOT easy no matter who you are. My guy and I call a “rough patch” for about three months after I had to move for work. As long as they are willing to work on it it will work.

11. SunshineSoup

March 14, 2011 at 7:09 AM

Even assuming they could actually succeed as a couple in the first place, which itself is unlikely, I was wondering how the heck the Hendricks would put up with Ricki being moved to Austin. That is their granddaughter and it sounds like they have been extremely close with her. It would be bad enough for Emily to up and move to Austin after falling in love with someone and dating for a year…but to move there after a ridiculous reality show? Come on. That family must be freaking out and I don’t blame them. I know nothing about their particular situation but wouldn’t be surprised if they were threatening to cut off support.

I know Brad has his life and career in Austin, but come on…in a case like this, he shouldn’t expect Emily to automatically pack up the kid and move there. I say he’d have to move to HER and start up new bars there if he wanted this to happen. But god forbid someone ask him to even consider that sacrifice and compromise….

12. rickle11

March 14, 2011 at 7:39 AM

I totally get that this show is over produced, but for you to say that if a couple has broken up, they have no change seems a bit ridiculous. They are long distance, they can barely see eachother, she has to watch him make out with women weekly…all things that I can only imagine would make me want to walk away. I wish them luck and I hope they work out!

13. lisa e

March 14, 2011 at 7:40 AM

Emily is not going to settle for the likes of Brad Womack. She did achieve her goals – – notoriety, fame, and even, for a spell, true love and a father for Ricki. Can’t blame her for going along with it all, stars in her eyes. Looked like she was raiding the golden egg hen house! Getting it all!
    Can’t blame Brad who “believes in the process,” and was quite sure he had found the sweet “feisty” gal who was going to help him curb his enthusiasm for fleeing the scene when someone gets too close. Emily likely has that skillset.

But the reality is that, Brad is not the *liquid* millionaire that he was billed to be last time. Surely, being a partner in 3 bars brings in sizable income, but wasn’t his net worth always calculated on the businesses? Never heard tell that he had real estate investments, for ex., that set apart his dependency on the bars. He’s not going to be allowed to liquidate even one of them to buy Emily’s Dream House.

She, very understandably, realized that his Pot of Gold was just barely enough to piss in by her lofty standards, and that has to be a let down for her. She had him going at first.. thinking she was this modest aw shucks “West Virginia Coal Miner’s Daughter!” and then.. he learns of the Hendricks connection, SEES the stunning home they grant her, and before you know it, he is mighty emasculated by the Ghost of Hendricks Past – and Present.

Geee, and and ya wonder why the gal is still single? How can a man compete with that triumvirate? – Love of Her Life, Perfect Father That Never Had a Chance to Fail Ricki, and Perfect House Already (“no, we won’t be building our dreams and standards together, I’ve already peaked!”)

It would’ve been another very interesting story, but there is too much fundamentally wrong with it all behind the scenes. Basic stuff, NOT BACH-INDUCED SHENANIGANS. Brad really wanted it this time to prove to HIMSELF he would not forever fail at female relationships.
    Oh well, Brad.
    REAL therapy this time around? (ABC probably has that covered in his contract)

Chantal would’ve definitely kept him to the commitment, would not have let him fail. Cancers are tenacious in love like that. She would’ve kept him in the game, with very unconditional love, and probably a need to “fix” him. But even she would’ve tired eventually of his push/pull games. Ahhh, such is love.

14. Deanna

March 14, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I think Emily is just having a hard time watching the show seeing Brad with the other women especially Chantal by reading and hearing him say that Monday nights were rough in his house and how she wouldn’t answer the phone to him at times….this will all pass after tonight hopefully and they can get on with their lives and be happy. Team Emily!!!

15. chrissyt42

March 14, 2011 at 9:05 AM

RS,
    Thanks for the great blog and I would love them to use your idea of a “live” choice. How great would that be. If they ever do that I hope you get paid for the idea. Keep up the great work.

16. Small_Peanut

March 14, 2011 at 9:18 AM

Disappointing, I thought just “maybe” Brad turned a new leaf by meeting the right “one”………

I hope that Brad realizes that he has a “pattern” i.e. break up, make-up, break up, make-up. He’s 38 years old, possibly 39 (not sure when they started filming?) but hey buddy, you’ll be alone forever until you realize “you want what you can’t have” once you have it “ you don’t want it” – it’s a vicious pattern that needs to be stopped. Also, the fact that Emily is a mother bothers me he is doing this to her and I understand her reservations to move. If I were her, I’d cut my losses.

17. writeone

March 14, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Sounds like Brad has the typical male cold feet problem. He will never get to the altar by going through a long planned engagement. I’ve known several friends that had to just elope because one of the couples would want to bail at the last minute. One did so two times. Then they just got married and lived with the consequences.

Brad should have taken Chantal up on her offer to just get married on the show. She may have caught the vibe from him and suggested it. So if he wants Emily then they should just do it and live with it or get off the pot.

Chantal, you dodged a bullet, girl.

Brad, you blew it, “Dude.”

18. debb0

March 14, 2011 at 10:21 AM

Hope they announce a break up of Brad & Emily tonight (for Emily & her daughter’s sake). Then Emily can be the Bachelorette and find a good man to fit into her life as Trista & Ali did (dreaming, I know). Hey, didn’t Jason M. do back to back Bachelorette/ Bachelor seasons? How’d they pull off that announcement, Steve? Plus he was away from his son for 2 seasons, unless ABC made allowances & had his son with him during the filming of the Bachelor. And then everyone can live “Happily Ever After”, Brad alone, Emily finds a new man, Chantal with her new man, and well, Ashley H, back to finish dental school!?!?!? Sigh

19. bsduvall1968

March 14, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I agree with Deanna. I believe Emily is having a hard time accepting what all Brad has done with the other girls.

20. Bubbles

March 14, 2011 at 2:12 PM

A match made on TV. LOL! I don’t recommend marrying a guy 14 years your senior. Just think: When he was 28, you were 14 — that could get you jail time or a shotgun in your back. She’ll be hitting her stride and he will be gimping along with his arthritis.

21. Sal1968

March 14, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Relationships are hard. They require work. You have to be emotionally mature.
    Brad is 38 and Emily is what? 24? She had a
    baby at 18 and she has been a single mother raising a child by herself since age 18 or 19.
    If Brad is her emotional equal NOW – when she is 24 & he is 38, she is probably going to outgrow him
    in a few more years. If I was a 38 year old man, I think most 24 year old women would bore me.
    I don’t think they are well matched.

22. NYC

March 14, 2011 at 6:34 PM

Brad is still bat shit crazy. He chose Emily becuase she has a striking resemblence to his twin brothers wife.

CREEPY!!!

23. BellaV

March 14, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Forgive me for being so out of the loop but I missed the episode where they met the families. What is the connection with Emily and the Hendricks? Can someone fill me in? Thanks!

24. MindyLouWho

March 14, 2011 at 8:10 PM

@BellaV: On the hometown date episode, Brad just met Emily in her hometown and met her daughter, Ricki. Emily was engaged to Ricki Hendrick, the Nascar driver when he was killed in a plane crash. A week later she found out she was pregnant with Ricki’s child. That is how Em is connected to the Hendricks. Hope this helps. 🙂

25. martinh7

March 14, 2011 at 8:36 PM

I cannot believe she isn’t wearing her ring! Must mean they really aren’t engaged right now 🙁

26. Dak1928

March 14, 2011 at 8:51 PM

Emily’s just not that into him.

27. JLBWorld

March 14, 2011 at 9:00 PM

That was uncomfortable to watch and except for the 3 former couples really quite unpleasant. No way will they ever get married. I doubt that they will last a week, or even a day. Might be shorter than Bob Guinney or Jesse Palmer.

She does not seem into him at all. She seems distant and probably was a total fake. I am not that fond of Brad but he seemed much more into Emily than she was into him. I only watched the last couple weeks, glad I didn’t waste any more time.

28. JH

March 14, 2011 at 9:15 PM

My two cents (as a 30 year-old “hopeful” romantic single guy)…

Yes, I watch “The Bachelor”, but I do not watch “The Bachelorette”, because I only enjoy living vicariously through the male lead, picking out my favorites and following his journey(which guy wouldn’t want 30 girls competing over him, right?).

With that said, I always thought I wanted a girl like Emily (at least the edited Emily that we saw during the show) and I’ve always liked and pulled for Ashley S., Tenley, Melissa Rycroft and other women that fit that mold on the show.

Yet, somehow this whole season my heart was with Chantal (except on her hometown date, I suppose 🙂 ). I continue to read posts on Reality Steve’s site from women that constantly criticize Chantal, Tenley, Ashley S., etc. for having “baby voices”, “being too emotional”, etc., but I’m going to let you in on a little secret, “being emotional” is what a lot of guy’s actually want and find attractive in a woman. I think there is a reason RS, myself and numerous other men liked Ashley S., for example, and that is a big reason. Speaking for myself, I prefer a woman who isn’t afraid to be emotional, wears her heart on her sleave, allows us to both be her rock but also just be a guy too… and finally allows us to at least feel like we are protecting her, even if she doesn’t need it. I’ve always said that if you propose to a woman and she doesn’t have tears in her eyes…look out…because she probably won’t have tears on her wedding day either and is that what you really want? Say what you will about Chantal, she had tears throughout the season and Emily rarely did, if ever.

Chantal was amazing this season because unlike a lot of the other “emotional” women I named, she was also a smart, confident and strong woman, who also just happened to be emotional too (which is a rare find). I agree 100% with Chantal’s comment tonight that it actually takes a stronger person to open him/herself up emotionally than to be emotionally closed off.

Finally, according to rumors…Chantal had an affair on her husband and later tried to win him back, but he had already moved on. I don’t wish anyone, including Chantal, any ill will, but having Chantal experience the heartbreak she did with Brad, I hope (if that rumor is true) she learned what it feels like to have your heart broken by somebody you love and never cheats on a future boyfriend or husband again. If I were Brad, I would have been scared sh!@less to pick Chantal because I would be affraid she would do to me, what she did to her exhusband. Yet, based on everything I saw, if I were Brad I would have been the most hated man in america, letting Emily go, but I would have picked Chantal. “I always feel like myself around you” and their undeniable chemistry vs. “I’m always nervous around you” and I fall asleep on our dates… ‘nuf said ;)… Look forward to any comments.

JH

29. perry

March 14, 2011 at 10:38 PM

wow Brad is such a baby. What an immature loser. She can do WAY better. Run, Emily, Run! If not for you, then for your daughter.

30. meschief

March 14, 2011 at 10:48 PM

From the “get-go” I think we would have had better luck with Chantal. A fast romance in from of the camera and then to take it home and add a child to the mess is a recipe for disaster. No Im not being pessimistic, but there was just too much against them to make it work.

31. ideamuse

March 14, 2011 at 11:49 PM

I’ve loved Emily from day one, but I agree with JH; she never showed much emotion. I feel like she faked the entire emotional proposal. Brad was emotional, she just said “there, there…it’s okay”. Okay maybe I’m being mean but she’s just so reserved it’s hard to read her.

I understand how Brad would want Emily; she’s beautiful and basically perfect. They talk the same. They both have similar quirks. However, Chantal was a real catch…”real” being the key word. Chantal was no small change either; she was just as beautiful but just with different coloring.

For as perfect as Emily appears to be she hasn’t met anyone in 5 years? That’s why I tend to believe the rumors about the Henricks family and how set up her life is out there. I’d be demanding a huge down payment before I moved to Austin too!

What struck me as very odd, and no one really mentioned it here (about the AFTR) is that they both fight really badly. When Chris asked if they have drop down, drag em out fights- Emily was very clear that the both are terrible to each other. Wow. He even says before she comes out; “sweet little Emily isn’t so sweet”….I think that’s what really told me they have a long road to go for this to work. But I have to say for their sake, I really hope they have a real heart to heart and settle any miscommunication. It’s time to grow up and focus on the relationship and not their fears and insecurities.

32. JH

March 15, 2011 at 1:02 AM

ideamuse… I completely agree.

I don’t want to take credit for realizing this, but I found this very helpful, so I thought I would share… Brad, completely screwed himself over by giving into temptation and “having too much fun in the tree house”.

Chantel was crying today on ATFR because she realized Brad didn’t love her at any point and simply used her for sex. She was hoping to hear on ATFR that Brad realized he loved Emily after the fantasy suite dates, but when he said he knew all along, Chantel was very hurt (as she should be); even if she is in love and in a new relationship. She felt used. If you rewatch the Chantel segment that is the one question she was getting at and rewording, but in a polite way, and why she started crying, with idiot’s insensitive, awful and hurtful replies. I don’t blame Chantel one bit, but Brad is a first class a-hole, if he truly loved Emily before the Fantasy Suite and slept with Chantel just for fun.

Hence, why Emily is soooo upset with Brad. There were a number of clues including Chantel’s map about “many sleepovers to come”, Emily saying “she felt like a dime a dozen” and that he had “too much fun” with other girls (primarily Chantel) and not feeling special. I don’t know this for sure, but I assume Emily takes sex far more seriously and intimately than Chantel and we saw how Chantel recacted, so I can’t imagine how Emily reacted in private after putting everything together.

Brad put himself in a bind “trying” (being the key word) to be a romantic when he told Emily that he knew from the beginning. I would say “rookie mistake”, but we all know Brad isn’t a rookie, just a jerk and a hot-tempered jerk at that. Laurel was 100% right in terms of that he may seem nice at first, but that is not the real Brad and the real Brad sounds like a real peach ;).

I would have loved to hear or get Laurel’s take on Brad at ATFR. RS, now you have a reason to do the interview for all of us that don’t live in Texas to go to your viewing party :).

JH

33. afarin

March 15, 2011 at 1:25 AM

Okay, I think it’s clear after watching the ATFR that Emily just doesn’t like Brad that much. It’s so clear, and it was clear even throughout the show. Brad likes Emily a lot more than she does him. She seems very cold and picky about things and really analyzes things that shouldn’t be analyzed because she creates problems for herself.

Trust me, I am not a Brad fan. I find him annoying and he has his own problems, but he seemed very frustrated with Emily and her lack of interest compared to how much he wanted to make it known how in love he is with Emily. These two will never last, that’s not even me being pessimistic. Anyone can see by how awkward the ATFR was and how strained their relationship ALREADY is.

34. afarin

March 15, 2011 at 1:27 AM

One more thing, I totally second that inquiry on what Laurel thinks of the ATFR. I’m really interested and would love it if RS would ask her and post.

35. My3girls

March 15, 2011 at 3:27 AM

Random observations: I never paid much attention on previous seasons, but Brad was reading his proposal speech and doing a terrible job of hiding it.

I think Emily looks better as a platinum blonde. It seems to fit her skin tone much better (except when she has a “tan” that looks more orange than Snooki.

Emily gets mad at Brad after watching him with other girls on the show. Surely she has seen the show, she applied to be on it, and knew this would happen. It cant come as a complete shock. And it’s not really fair to overanalyze what she sees on TV, not knowing what was edited out. But I do understand how difficult it must be to watch, to let paranoia get the best of you and your confidence takes a hit. And then when she expresses her anger, hurt, or frustration, Brad loses his temper and explodes. They both yell at each other, hang up on each other, and play the silent game for a few days. Tonight they said they hadn’t seen each other for a month. That doesnt sound like a newly engaged couple who would do anything to be together. If they don’t move past this quickly, there will be so much dysfunction, chaos, and misery.

36. finerthings

March 15, 2011 at 5:32 AM

I kind of hope, whether they end up together or not, that they do another ATFR or something on Ashley’s bachelorette season. I want to know what really is happening in a few months. It makes me sad, because this time I actually feel like the promos were right when Brad was saying “I love her, but I don’t know if she’ll love me back.” Taste of his own medicine, I suppose.

37. misty

March 15, 2011 at 5:44 AM

Wow! I am impressed with the both of them after watching the “after the rose”. They are one of the only couples that didn’t bounce out on stage pretending everything was peachy. I really hope they make it. I have always heard if the man doesn’t love the women more than she loves him then it won’t last. so things are looking pretty good for them because I can tell that emily loves brad but I can also tell that brad loves emily more than she loves him, in a good way! I don’t think Emily appeared cold I thought she was hilarious and still a little upset from seeing the man she loves kiss and compliment other women. Who wouldn’t feel that way. I would be more concerned if she watched the show every monday and didn’t get upset.

and another thing that I love about Emily is that she didn’t dig into the ring when he proposed. It wasn’t about getting the bling on the finger. She bent down and kissed him until he asked if he could put it on her finger. I love chantel but I could see her waiting until the ring was on her finger before she kissed him.

I am happy for them and hope they last!

38. luv it

March 15, 2011 at 6:05 AM

Brad is a robot with limited vocabulary skills; not sure watch Jimmy Kimmel Live snippet…shows Brad’s breakup/proposal with all four women. It’s like one drawn out poorly written speech.

No chance this couple will make it past next week… Oh well.

39. ashleyenderton

March 15, 2011 at 7:29 AM

I really do agree with what Misty has to say (about two comments up from mine). And I think it’s important for all those saying that Emily was coming off disinterested, cold, etc. is exactly what Brad said during the finale “she’s not shy, she’s just private”. She wasn’t going to go out there and make a huge scene, you could even tell by how carefully she was choosing her words – she understands that this is now her and Brad (as she said to him at the end of the ATFR) and I think they both genuinely are going to work at it, and really, really wish them the best.

40. texasmomof2

March 15, 2011 at 7:53 AM

One of my friends said it best last night. “Brad doesn’t want to be with someone who he can be himself with, because he doesn’t like himself”. Thanks, Julie, profound words! Brad is a major A-hole, clearly his robot act is to prevent people from realizing his hot-tempered side. Chantal, I was rooting for you all the way, but you are the luckiest girl in the world today! You deserve MUCH better than Brad Womack……….Emily, listen to your gut and DUMP him, you deserve much better also!!!

41. dandygirl

March 15, 2011 at 7:54 AM

ATFR was really pathetic- Chris says, “three of our favorite couples!” Does he mean, the only three successful couples, so far?

I understand why Emily would be hurt every Monday, Brad clearly told her she was the “only one” all along, yet it was obvious he had chemistry with other girls. But, it was funny when Chris pointed out how it was even worse for Molly… Jason proposed to someone else and then they worked through it!

Anyone watch Jimmy Kimmel?

Thankfully, Ashley lightened her hair again, but was still pulling the “it’s my natural color” line, when it was obviously lighter than on WTA. Her makeup also looked a lot better and she was not talking with her hands as much. She was really personable and now I’m looking forward to her as Bachelorette.

42. Small_Peanut

March 15, 2011 at 8:01 AM

I guess I had a different take. This is TV people and some of us are more reserved in front of others, she is one of them, nothing wrong with that.

We saw a much stronger personality on Emily’s side than we did on the show. Off topic, but I LOVED Emily’s hair, way more natural, she had some honey blondes vs. bleached blonde, very nice look. I liked her hair cut too. That bleached platinum blonde maked her looked AGED and not as healthy. Her eyes pop out more now. Plus, the straight smooth look is really nice on her.

However, I thought she was logical (thinking with her head) but still staying true to her heart (she does love him). She was being straight forward with the facts i.e. road ahead, getting to know one another in the real reality, her child coming first, already having fights so early on (red flag)…. but still said I love you to reassure him, very sweet I thought.

No one is perfect and what volatile means to you or me might be dif’t. No idea what that means? However, I will say, I bet it’s REALLY hard watching your man make out and say the same lines to all those girls every Monday night so I get it. Also, those tabloid magazines and the rumors that Brad went on the show for money and still was texting laurel, put YOURSELF in HER shoes, makes sense, right? Of course she’s guarded right now.

I also see him wanting to change, he said it last night, she is the only one I would change for or try to and she makes me a better man. He just lights up around her, I see it on his face. We’ll see what happens, I’m hoping it’s not because he likes the CHASE even down to the last day she was saying look being a parent is no picnic you get up at 3 am to go to the emergency room and that’s not fun, no drinking beers in the bar at 6 PM with the boys whereas Chantal was like “I love you” I’ll marry u on the spot, he likes the CHASE.

Can’t wait to see what Steve says today!

43. jrs_lovely1

March 15, 2011 at 10:09 AM

I haven’t been on this site in weeks and had to come see what was happening after Emily recieved the final rose. I have to admit the only thing that shocked me about Emily being the one in the end was the fact that RS said it was Chantal (again hadn’t been aroun din weeks when he had to come back and “eat crow”). If he hadn’t reported it I probably would have been an Emily voter sooner. BUT RS gets 99% of it right and thats why I fallow his blog.

IMO the finale had all of the indicators that it was Emily. I actually started feeling that way when they were in Anguilla right before the HTD and he flat out told her he was giving her a rose. Bells started going off then, that she was a real contender. During the finale on their last date, I was close to 100% sure that Emily was the pick. What man would ask a woman to be a real father to their child? IMO he was VERY sincere in what he said at that moment. Despite the edits in Chantals favor focusing on the fun side, there was something real about what Brad shared with Emily. He said for a while that she made him want to be a better man. Thats always a good thing no matter how real or fake people think this show is. I think Emily’s character pushed Brad to the level in life that aspires to be. Maybe he felt like she made it seem attainable.

I think when it came down to it, Emily was not only his family pick but his pick based on the fact that she exemplifies what he ultimately wants out of life. Sweet, beautiful, kind, loving wife and family. Thats the way she was portrayed the whole season. I do believe she has those charateristics but after watching ATFR she has some spunk to her too and she wasn’t just taking Brad’s crap and going with it when she dealt with his temper. It says a lot that they didn’t come out on stage as if everything was PERFECT. That was the most REAL in the reality show this season. Real life is not perfect. Ryan Sutter said it best. The show is like being on a huge, glamorous cruise ship for 6 weeks and after it’s over they put the 2 of them on a life boat and push them off across the ocean in the middle of a storm. Some sink and drown and few make it to the island far off. They have a lot to face now that they are in the “real world” and I hope that they can overcome it.

As for Chantal. I think that she was truly genuine in her feelings towards Brad. I also think that he was genuine in his towards her as well. The dance around he gave her on ATFR was to save face since he was so far off in the dog house with Emily. He cared for Chantal more then he cared to admit but I do think that he knew it was Emily early on. How early? Who knows and who cares.

Bottom line for me, I hope they make it. I wouldn’t want any relationship to fail so if they still choose each other for real then I wish them the best. I hope they can get it together and get on with their lives.

44. Sandgirl

March 15, 2011 at 10:12 AM

1. Didn’t Emily realize that in the event that she was the “last one standing” that she might have to make a move? She acted like it was something that was never discussed…and not to defend Brad, but he did mention that he would have to stay in Austin. At that point, she could have up and left like Madison did.

2. If he has a bad temper, RUN! She has a daughter…she does not need a man with a bad temper sharing disciplinary duties. If the grandparents weren’t aware of his temper, they are now. Can’t picture Ricki’s GP’s or Emily’s parents (who we never met), wanting their granddaughter living with “the bear.”

45. writeone

March 15, 2011 at 10:14 AM

@JH Man you took the words right out of my mouth, right down to not watching the bachelorette, etc. I think Brad is is love with the image of Emily more than who she really is. If he has a temper and rejected Michelle because of it, why is he with “knock-down, drag out, Emily”? I would think being with someone that you can just be yourself with (Chantal) would be irresistible.

Brad is not just an a-hole for what he did to Chantal, he is a first class douche. If he knew it was Emily from the first, then the manly thing to do would be to have Ashley H as the F2. She never told him she loved him and knew their relationship was rocky at best. He could have honestly said I’m just not feeling it and everyone would have supported him. To string Chantal along was REALLY wrong for he knew she was deeply in love with him. For he to be sent home in S Africa in front of 2 others would have been bad but tolerable. But to be brought to the very end was just cruel. A real man doesn’t do that. What is worse is that I would bet it was what he was told to do by ABC. “Keep Chantal around, it will make better drama.

For Reality Steve. I agree bring on Laural. It would be interesting to hear what she has to say for all those who can’t come to Texas.

For Chantal: More than ever you are a class act who maybe now realizes what a sh**load of heartache you missed.

46. emilyispsycho

March 15, 2011 at 10:26 AM

I think you guys have it all wrong. Brad didn’t really know it was Emily all along. He was just saying that, so he didn’t get his ass handed to him by insecure Emily backstage. Here is my take on all this:

I see a lot of people talking about Brad. How Brad has anger issues, and how it’s clear that he’s the one to blame for this and that. People even said that Emily was afraid of him at the After the Rose ceremony, and that she was answering only with his permission.

Were you watching the same thing?

It was pretty obvious that Emily was calling all the shots in this relationship. She had no problem saying what she wanted to say, and was even somewhat demeaning with how she went about answering some things (she has no grace at all, or communication skills). She’s completely insecure, jealous. In fact, she pretty much admitted to being the one that called off their relationship multiple times because she couldn’t handle watching Brad with other women during the airing of the show….

What did she expect. Is she really that dense that she didn’t expect Brad to experiment with other women. That’s kind of the point of the show. To give him a pick of women, and to see if any of them is right for him. Did she expect that he would not go on any dates, or kiss another girl but her while doing the show? Did you see how much Brad had to dance around answering questions, especially with Chantal (who he clearly did share a love with, but had to deny), just because Emily was backstage. I can understand getting envious, we all do. But that was just ridiculous. It was like he was being held hostage, and being forced to be someone else, all so he didn’t feel the wrath of Emily. I mean..he chose her. That should be enough.

I kind of feel bad for Brad (well not really). But damn, he went with his gut/family and it was wrong. He got played. Ended up picking the nut job. I bet he really wishes he had went with Chantal, because the feelings and romance were actually there and were real. And he’s realizing the Emily stuff was all not what it seems. And that she is completely different once the cameras are off.

I have no doubt that Brad has issues. That much is clear. But I think this is a case of everyone assuming it must be him, since his past. It’s a rather unfair assumption, given the way Emily was acting. If anything, seems like she’s the one with all the major problems.

This is coming from someone that originally liked Emily as well. What a disappointment.

47. dirtyp1

March 15, 2011 at 10:50 AM

first off, huge Reality Steve fan. I’ve followed you now for the past couple of seasons, and I’m a guy, go figure. Anyhow, before I read all the spoilers and after the first night of the show, I picked who I thought would make the final 3 and then win it. I picked Emily from the start, and after hearing Chantal made it, I was kind of bummed but she really grew on me. The girls on this season were exceptional. Any of the final 6 or 7 most guys would be lucky to be with.
    That being said and him picking Emily, these two aren’t a fit. I feel bad for Chantal, she was really truly into him, not just caught up in the moment, and you could see that last night still. It says something when you’ve found someone else but you’re still broken up about everything that happened.
    On Emily’s behalf, putting myself in her shoes, it would be hard to watch the show every Monday. Think about your courtship and if you had to watch your bf/gf/spouse date other people and then finally pick you. Believe it or not, they probably said the same things that any of these Bachelor/Bachelorettes say to the people that don’t win. Maybe Emily isn’t used to that or the dating side of things? I don’t really think that’s all of it, but at least half of the deal. The other half or 25% even, is Brad and his temper. You can tell this guy cannot stand getting his way. When he had to leave the room to get a drink of water, that was a major red flag. If you’re with someone like that that can’t take criticism in so much that they have to leave the room because they’re so angry, you need to get away. It’s only a matter of time until they blow up on you, apologize, and then do it again. It’s really a disservice to the women that come on this show(most of them) to put someone as unstable as Brad as the Bachelor. I’m sure he’s a nice guy if you’re his friend and he’d probably be fun to hangout with, but I can see the guy get really ugly behind closed doors. The fact that Emily just isn’t crazy over him probably drives him crazy, and he can’t handle it.

Anyhow, my final thoughts are that Emily came off smart last night. They really portrayed her as a boring, pretty, “mute” girl the entire season. Paraphrasing her, “if I would have had the chance to go down a zip line or climb a building you would have seen me having a lot of fun too”.

Thanks for another great season, Steve. As you’ve said over and over, this show is what the producers want it to be and they can paint anyone the way they want to. I like Ashley H. but I’m not stoked about the Bachelorette. One of these final two girls would have been much more fun.

48. jrs_lovely1

March 15, 2011 at 11:01 AM

@emilyispsycho I agree with what you said about Emily calling all the shots. She was clearly not afraid of Brad last night. Whoever started that nonesense is far off base.

BUT, what I think we saw with Emily last night was a woman who watched the season she appeared on and saw how she was portrayed and wanted to come out and show viewers that what they saw was not ALL she is. There is so much more to her, to include the “knock down drag out” side of her. She said it herself, if she would have been given adventurous dates she would have been fun to be around too. They always set her up with the more romantic, classier dates and Chantal with the thrill-seeking, more fun dates.

After AFTR I actually liked Emily a lot more. Overall, I don’t know her only know the show and based off that I like them together. In the end I could care less. I’ve been married for over 5 years with a 2 yr old. I just happen to like watching this show and in the end if they make great, if not, better luck next season.

49. emilyispsycho

March 15, 2011 at 11:10 AM

I guess I’m the only one that thought Emily came off as harsh, and insecure. I just feel like she had no business being on that show, given her pas situations. I can put myself in her shoes as well. It WOULD be hard. But again, you would have to know that going into a reality show. How could you not?

Why kind of person signs up for a reality show, and doesn’t know all the downsides to it. Are we suggesting Emily didn’t know what The Bachelor was before signing up for it? I doubt that. And that’s why I don’t feel all that sympathetic for her.

I also think it’s a tad bit unfair to hold all of that off till the show’s over and he already picked her. IMO the most telling moment still came when Brad had to skirt the issue with explaining his emotions/feelings for Chantal. It was clear that he didn’t want to offend Emily. And to me that is just simply ridiculous. The guy seemed like he was held hostage. And it was also unfair to Chantal, because he had to deny those feelings they had for each other. Chantal at that point had moved on, she just wanted to know that what they had meant something. Even if it was a small something.

Now everyone thinks that Brad just strung her along for shits and giggles. IMO that was not the case. But I suppose we are all just spectators eh? But in my opinion it was obvious that Brad was playing an act because he knew Emily was backstage. Had she not been that insecure and Jealous, I believe that convo with Chantal would have been different.

50. Sal1968

March 15, 2011 at 11:14 AM

If Brad is such a great guy and wonderful catch & all that why haven’t his sisters-in-law introduced him to some decent women? If I had a single bro-in-law whom I thought was good husband material I would introduce him to some single women friends. You have to wonder why a really fabulous guy has to go on a tv show to find love. Emily is 24. That is so very young. I think she should remain single until she is about 30. 6 more years. Her daughter will be 10 at that time or 11. That would be a better time for her to be “dating”. Kids age 4 to 10 need a lot of parental involvement. Emily should devote herself to raising her daughter.