The Bachelorette 7 - Ashley

The Bachelorette Recap – 5/30/11 Including an In Depth Look at the Bentley Situation

-Group date in Vegas is up next as 12 of the guys are headed to the Jabbawockeez show at the Monte Carlo. Ashley walks them in to the theater then sneaks away so she can throw on a mask and come up through the stage. The twelve clueless guys never saw her leave and are fascinated watching her come up through the stage like Rey Mysterio (Sorry, had to get a WWE reference in. RIP Macho Man). The teams are split up into two teams of six:

“Best Men”
Matt
Constantine
Stephen
Ryan M
Chris
Ames

“No Rhythm Nation”
Nick
Bentley
Ben F
Lucas
Blake
West

Ok, before this competition to see who had the better routine even started, if you didn’t know who was gonna win this thing beforehand, you don’t pay attention. No, not just because of the spoilers and all three guys that got eliminated last night were on “Best Men”, but they showed in the previews last week, online, and before this episode started Ashley having along time with Bentley. If I were voting, neither team would’ve won. That was horrible. They were judged on “style, synchronicity, and showmanship.” Hmmmm. Could’ve fooled me. I could’ve sworn they were being judged on un-coordination, lack of skills, and overall suckiness.

-So the “No Rhythm Nation” gets to perform in the live show later that night with Ashley. Now, I know a lot of you hate Ashley as the “Bachelorette” for whatever reason, but excuse me, that was hot last night. I think West was the one that said it, and he was right. There is definitely something sexy about a woman that can dance. Now, we saw Ashley last season in her hometown video dancing half naked in her room, then we saw her prancing around stage last week, but that was more classical dance. Last night, she got her freak on and I got excited. So much so that…forget it. I just hope that before the audience entered the theater last night they were specifically informed that a portion of the show will not be done by professionals and will suck donkeys. So if you were in the audience that night, and you weren’t told this beforehand, you should call the Monte Carlo right now and ask for your money back. Tell em’ Reality Steve sent ya’. I’m sure they’ll definitely be happy to refund you.

-Ben F agrees with me. “Ashleys body is incredibly tight.” Well, we know where his head is at. Same place mine is. Ashley looked like she should be headlining that show. Or “PeepShow”. Sure, she can fill in for Holly Madison. I’ll watch it. Ashley: “I feel like the luckiest girl in the world.” I bet you do. Who else wouldn’t want to upstage six horrible dancers at the Monte Carlo. It’s your time to shine girl. Go on wit yo’ bad self. We can now add “I feel like the luckiest guy/girl in the world” to our list of “Phrases You Will Hear Every Season On This Show”. Everyone is the “luckiest”, every date is the “greatest date ever”, etc. The hyperbole on this show runs rampant. How about we just a, “Eh, that was ok. Would’ve rather done something else for our date, but it was fine.” God forbid they actually go off script and say something they’re not supposed to.

-At the cocktail party, even though there were six guys there that she got alone time with, they only showed three of them: Blake, West, and Bentley. Blake the dentist was who they showed first, and they focused on whether or not both of them being dentists and Type A personalities, would be a good thing or a bad thing. Ashley eases his mind by saying, “Means it’ll just be twice as perfect.” Awwwwwww, how puke inducing. So there’s always the “opposites attract” saying, and then there are those who say you should be with someone who shares your exact interests. I’m in neither of those camps. What I do say though is that if both of you have the exact same profession, that’ll suck. And dentists? Ugh. How boring an uninteresting are those dinner conversations gonna be like? “Yeah, had a couple root canals today. You?” “I had a homeless guy with 16 teeth come in. It was awful.” Riveting stuff, I tell ya’. I don’t know Ashley from a hole in the wall, but I bet being with a dentist was not something she was ever looking for.

-Next up is West who tells her the story of his ex-wife Sarah who died 9 months after getting married. West tells Ashley “I’m finally ready to put myself out there and fall in love again”. Well, personally I wouldn’t have done this show if I were you West, but who am I to judge? You’ve already been taken to the cleaners by your ex in laws, and the court of public opinion seems to think you murdered your wife. Probably wasn’t your best bet to go on this show. I’m all for the guy getting back on his feet and dating after such a tragic event, but on national television watched by millions crazed housewives across the country? You make your own bed, now you must lie in it. Just like William, and any other guy who’s ever appeared on this show, West won’t have any problem finding a girl once the show is over. It’s the reason guys even go on this show. Just show up, and immediately women will start adding you on Facebook, following you on Twitter, and basically you have your pick of the litter. I really wish I could share some of the stories with you, but I can’t. Just trust me on this one.

-Ahhhh, now we get to Bentley. She takes him up to one of the rooms, and as we see them walking down the hallway, we get an ITM of Bentley saying, “She’s a beautiful girl, she has a great body, amazing butt, rockin legs, and having her tickle my p****, I mean, that’d be amazing.” Lets clear a couple things up here. First off, we have NO IDEA if Bentley is even talking about Ashley in that ITM. He never specifically says her name, and that ITM could’ve been done at a completely different time where he was asked a completely different question. He probably was, but we don’t know for sure. They could’ve asked him, “Hey, what do you think of Megan Fox?” and just given you his answer. That’s how this show works. Secondly, if you watch it back, the word they bleeped out wasn’t “penis”. It wasn’t even “pickle”. It was “peter”. By no means am I sticking up for Bentley at all, but here’s something I want to inform everyone of regarding him. Bentley is STRICT Mormon. That means no sex before marriage, never had a sip of alcohol in his life, never said the “f” word, etc. I’ve heard this from more than a few people who know him. Here’s a couple examples I can give you. These are shots from the end of each of the first two episodes where the guys toast Ashley:

Not only does Bentley not drink, he’s not even allowed to be on camera with a glass of alcohol in his hand. I mean, sure he could do it, but the church wouldn’t be too thrilled with that. So as you can see in the pictures, he’s the only guy with water in his glass.

-Now, I’m sure the church isn’t thrilled with him acting like a complete douche on TV and insulting Ashley the whole time, and I honestly don’t know his reasoning behind it other than enjoying the role of playing the villain, but people need to stop getting so carried away by him. He’s a gimmick. He’s purposely on the show to get you to do exactly what you are doing, and that’s running to your friends Tuesday morning, or running to your Twitter, or running to your Facebook page to talk about what a jerk he is. The more you talk about Bentley, the more this show is “winning”, to steal the most overused phrase going right now. They are milking Bentley for every single ounce of publicity they can, and everyone is buying into it. Aren’t you seeing the whole irony behind Bentley being cast?

-This show is supposed to find love for Ashley, and are supposed to cast guys that are wanting to be there for her and hopefully to fall in love, right? That’s the premise of the show. Sure, we know not every guy is REALLY there for that, but just the idea behind it is supposed to be legit. Well, they’ve known since the minute that Bentley stepped foot on the show, and hell probably even back to when they did his hometown video and the guy was talking about Emily, they knew he wasn’t into Ashley. He knew it and they knew it, yet they still cast him. It’s the shows fault, and Bentleys fault. Lets say Bentley truly and honestly didn’t know that Ashley was the “Bachelorette” and the show lied to him the whole time telling him it was Emily (Remember, they started filming the night after Brad’s finale aired, so the latest he would’ve known for sure it was Ashley was the night before). So lets say he didn’t watch “Jimmy Kimmel” the night before, and had no clue it was Ashley until he stepped out of the limo. Then why not just eliminate himself on the first night? Simple question that Chris Harrison, Mike Fleiss, ABC, Next Entertainment, and Warner Horizon will never answer: If Bentley never liked Ashley, why was he cast? They knew what they were doing the whole time because they know what the guy was saying about her in his ITM’s.

-So Bentley is a douche for just going along and doing what he’s doing, which is making a mockery of their show. And ABC is just as bad because they knowingly cast him because they were aware he’d be the most talked about guy for the first few episodes, and then again in episode six when he returns. The more you talk about how much you hate Bentley, the more this show is winning. I’m just enjoying Bentley for what he is at this point, and that’s pure entertainment. But people who get so worked up over him and what he’s saying don’t realize how stupid they sound. It’s a TV show. He’s playing a role. Sure, he’s being mean to Ashley, but he hasn’t said a word of it to her face. It’s behind her back and she’s obviously seeing it now for the first time. I’m sure she’s a little bothered by him, but what does she care at this point? She got a paycheck to do the show, she’s with someone now, and she gets to make the rounds on the talk shows and in magazines for the next two months. I will NEVER understand the people who get so worked up by something said or done on this show. Ever. That’s why I just sit back and make fun of it all. It’s laughable.

-With all that said, how bad does it look to watch Ashley in the room with him BEGGING him to stick around? “If you feel something for me, please stay. Please stick around. Please, please, please, please stay.” You gotta remember though, Ashley is clueless Bentley is saying all this stuff about her at the time of filming. All she knows is how he’s acting in front of her, and so far, he hasn’t said a word to her face about not wanting to be there. So you can’t fault her in this situation for giving him a rose and keeping him around. But for the show to sit back and say, “Oh well, this is Ashleys journey. She needs to figure this out for herself that Bentley is a jerk”, that’s just a stupid argument. It’s your show. You’re the one that cast him and you know he went on there to play a role. Don’t pin it on her that she’s supposed to figure it out for herself when he shouldn’t have even been on the show in the first place. So stupid.

Page 2 of 612345...Last »

1. finerthings

May 31, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Dear Readers,

Why would you be polite and wish me a happy birthday when I don’t know you? F*ck off.

Love,

😀 Steve, you are just a big dummy, aren’tcha?

2. finerthings

May 31, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Ok, onto the good stuff. I agree with you entirely about Bentley. I find it pretty hilarious and entertaining, which is what it’s supposed to be.

West. Freaks. Me. Out. I really tried to give the guy a chance after I read the articles about him or whatever. But honestly, I feel like everything he says makes my skin crawl. Just the way he talks about Ashley…I don’t know. He’s a creeper. Plus, I trust a mother’s instinct a lot. If his wife’s mom thinks he was involved in her death, I’m inclined to believe there was more going on there than a seizure.

I like JP the best at this moment.

Every time Ashley says “Perrfaaaact” with her stupid cheerleader affected-ness it reminds me how much I disliked her on Brad’s season. Other than that, she’s been quite tolerable.

3. mommyof2

May 31, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I said the same thing about the tragic deaths in the cast-mates lives seeming to be a new pre-requisite. It’s depressing having to feel sorry for everyone as opposed to one or two people. It kind of makes you feel less sympathetic towards anyone now if everyone has a tragic past. It’s too early to tell who I think has the best connection w/ Ashley or who I like the best, but from what I’ve seen so far, I like Ben C. and JP.

Bentley’s an a**; I just wish he would realize that the way he treats women will have an impact on how his young daughter will expect to be treated by men. Even if he treats her perfectly, she’ll see how he treats other women (including her mom, grandmom, etc..), and that’s how she’ll think she’s suppose to be treated by other men (disrespectfully). Some men are so stupid to even realize that the people they love most are hurt by the way they treat others. He needs to lead by example and treat all women respectfully if he wants his own daughter to expect to be treated that way as well. Hopefully he’ll realize this sooner rather than later or that Cozy will someday have an amazing stepfather who she will look up to instead- or an amazing grandfather on her mom’s side who does this. I’m guessing that Bentley’s treatment of women is a direct reflection of how his father treated his mother. So sad…

4. HeidiT

May 31, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Aside from the Toss the Dice move I believe Ben threw in the sprinkler, Hey, at least he wasn’t making the pizza and doing the Qtip. Typical drunk guy at the club the one humping the floor thinking he’s got moves and all the women want to dance with him. NOT.

As for Bentley, like I said after the first episode, if she’s stupid enough to keep him around after being warned by MM then she’s an idiot. Enough said.

5. Sunnyside422

May 31, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Was not impressed when Ashley was with Brad and less so now. Bow legged, rail thin, no rear, goofy giggles (she’s 26???)BUT she is following the script to a T, saying all the prescripted dialog we have been subjected to season after season.

Most of the men with the exception of JP and William are not in the least good looking. Who groomed these clowns anyway?! My early vote for the final one is….JP. Sexy and from the little shown thus far, seems fairly normal.

With the huge budget ABC has for this show…can’t they find different musical selections? Same boring music played at the “romantic” interludes show after show. Really? Nothing original to offer?

I believe the men are coached to say that Ashley is beautiful, sexy and hot. No way is this little muffin any of the above.

Bentley’s remarks remind me of the way Wes was screwed by the show and his remarks spliced and diced. Can’t believe Bentley is as stupid as we’ve been allowed to see.

6. Southern Bella

May 31, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Do you all really think Ashley is in the dark about Bentley? It’s quite obvious that she (and everybody else) is playing along. She was practically holding in her laughter when she was “begging” him to stick around. Go back and watch it.

It’s called a SCRIPT, people!

7. nattyfoo

May 31, 2011 at 1:05 PM

I’ve never left a comment before, but I have a pressing question… BTW, I have been reading your blog for years. Thanks for the great insight.

You stated that Bentley is a devout Mormon, but correct me if I am wrong… and I may be, but in the initial casting video he did, didn’t he have a refrigerator full of beer? I thought I saw that in his video… I might have to go back and watch it. Just wondered if you saw that as well.

Thanks

8. dutchgrl11

May 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM

DEAR STEVE: I was pretty shocked when I read your opening paragraph…the back-handed compliment thanking people for their bday wishes. You said 75% from people you don’t know and that you don’t “understand” that concept. HOW FUCKING RUDE! People read your blog and while they don’t know you personally, they are being nice. No wonder you’re single with that attitude! Truth be told, one reads your blog to get the spoilers, not for your great writing ability. A big portion of it is all about you and how great you are and how Bachelor execs are scared of you, yada yada…
    Your blog REEKS of ego and self promotion.

9. Holly in SoCal

May 31, 2011 at 6:04 PM

If Bentley was truly a “devout” Mormon, then how does he justify playing with Ashley’s feelings like he did and lying and deceiving her? Even if this was all set-up in advance by the producers/writers, he still couldn’t justify saying those mean things about her if he was truly a Mormon. The bible teaches just the opposite of his behavior, whether it was contrived or not. Besides, shouldn’t he be seeking out a fellow Mormon lady to be his wife…not someone that is not of his belief system? There is nothing in his religion that would justify him doing what he is doing (even if for money) or acting the way he is. If I were a Mormon…I’d be horrified to be represented that way. Just the same way that Michelle Money brought shame to her religion (if she truly is a Mormon). Shame on both of them.

10. ebayrae

May 31, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I’m with dutchgrl11. Who actually gives such a backhanded “thank you” to their readers? I’m trying to figure out who the bigger douche is: you…or Bentley.

I can tell you right now that Bentley is NOT Strict Mormon. If you were a Mormon–you’d be able to tell because there are some obvious indications. Just because he doesn’t drink alcohol doesn’t mean he actually lives the way a “strict” Mormon would. I actually laughed out loud when you wrote that he wasn’t even allowed to hold it on camera…where did you come up with this “doctrine”? Just thought you’d like to know for the future so you sound a little more informed before you make a fool of yourself.

11. scrantonicity

May 31, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I know this is wrong to say but Ames looks like he was one gene short of ending up on Little People, Big World. His head definitely looks more suited to little arms and legs.

12. Reason

May 31, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Assuming Bentley’s ITM video was available, then you can prove if Chris Harrison is lying by asking him one question: If he was so concerned about informing Ashley, why didn’t he show her Bentley’s ITM footage? By choosing to withhold those videos from Ashley, it would prove the producers are more interested in ratings than helping her make a decision about marriage. But we already knew that…

13. loca4linda2

June 1, 2011 at 3:00 AM

So, don’t you think the coin Ashley tossed to see if what’s his name, was staying was doubled sided with his pic? come on! Also, do you know if Bentley gets more $ than the other contestants?

14. hordac

June 1, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I will reserve judgment as to whether Ashley is playing a role here too with regards to Bentley’s dissing her until I see the next episode where she freaks out. I think we will be able to tell whether she is acting or not. Now, having said that, if she was unaware of the extent of his disdain for her than I am really disappointed in this show for subjecting her to what he is saying. I agree with you Steve, it makes ABC look horrible and Chris H. is just trying to make himself look like some good guy trying to warn her now. I don’t care whether she is happily engaged now or not. It has GOT to hurt her to hear this stuff. I don’t think its a case of editing all the way either. Sure maybe some, but him descibing the kiss?? How can that possibly relate to anything else?? I must confess though, that it does make the season interesting and I am gasping with shock after I hear his ITM’s!! ABC, evil but wise I tell you! I really hope you are happy though Ashley, what he is saying about you can’t go down very well and I would hate to have to sit through something like this myself personally.

15. sweetness34

June 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I think the one problem with Chris H.’s comment is that it’s completely inconsistent with the company line of the past few seasons. Chris H. was a large part of the storyline to “expose” Rozlyn on Jake’s season and then “expose” Justin Rego on Ali’s season.

The whole meat of the Justin storyline was that Chris H. wanted to inform Ali that Justin wasn’t there for the right reasons. However, the line with Bentley is, “well, we sort of warned her, but we try to stay out of these things….” Yeah, OK.

16. Trish

June 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Dutchgirl11 wrote:

A big portion of it is all about you and how great you are and how Bachelor execs are scared of you, yada yada… Your blog REEKS of ego and self promotion.

Truer words were never spoken.

Reality Steve is a far bigger phony than the shows he writes about. The truth is, he’d love to have a job on the Bachelor as producer in charge of the hypocrisy and deceit he otherwise attempts to expose each week. Sadly, guys him and the yahoos at votefortheworst have been unable to land their dream jobs on reality television, so they take to internet with their petty blah blah blah. Get a real job.

17. serpephone

June 1, 2011 at 4:08 PM

How do the readers know it’s Steve’s birthday?

Strange…

anyways, I am just happy Reality Steve is older than me!

😛

18. strike9

June 1, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Didn’t like Ashley in Brad’s season. Trying to like her now, but she’s making it very hard because she laughs at EVERYTHING. I mean, things that aren’t even supposed to be funny. For instance – on her first date with William, when the lame Vegas groupies shout “we love you Ashley!”, she does the annoying laugh. Really. That’s funny? Later when Blake tells her that two dentists together would be twice as perfect, more stupid laughter. What? Mickey is surprised by a concert. HA HA HA HA HA.

Maybe I’d be okay with the inappropriate laughter if she had a cute laugh, but she so doesn’t.

19. Angie L

June 2, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Love your take on a lot of issues relative to the show. I’m a Mormon like Bentley and he being a “STRICT Mormon” is a total NONSENSE. Strict Mormons take seriously how they come across to everyone: they know that they, in every way, represent the church so they’ll watch their language, their conduct … and they can be rather picky as to whom they want to associate themselves with. He is a Mormon but I doubt he is a devout one. Also, there’s this impression that the Church forces ‘things’ on us. Contrary to what most believe about us _ ‘Free Agency’ is an EXTREMELY IMPORTANT PRINCIPLE in the church _ in fact, it constitutes the core beliefs of this religion starting from the time one enters the waters of baptism…. A member is a free-agent who becomes a member because he or she chooses to be so. We are free to choose the path we want to walk on …. The church educates us what will help us spiritually and it is up to us to take/reject those advices. I understand where Bentley’s coming from. I don’t think he is emotionally over his divorce … the break-up of that relationship and he is acting these out these frustrations even bitterness. I hope he’ll find peace soon. Happiness can become very elusive when ‘forgiveness’ hasn’t taken place. He needs to embrace the loss as a learning and growing experience and move on!

As regards Ashley being with JP, I think he is a great choice … and I hope things work out for them. Thanks for posting your blog. I enjoy your opinion.

20. NWpdx

June 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I was glad to see other readers were equally as put off by how snippy “Reality Steve” was about his birthday greetings! For someone who relies on readers to come to his site, that was really short sighted, but I have a feeling he doesn’t really give a sh*t about the readers, just his ego. He obviously doesn’t appreciate the readers he has as he won’t even answer other questions other than “how do you know” as another person posted. If it weren’t for spoilers why come to the site?

21. BachFan15

June 2, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Reality Steve is a douche. A friend of mine went out with him awhile back, and he’s a total loser. Dude is constantly on his phone thinking he’s a celebrity, even a the dinner table, and he’s bad in bed. I always crack up when I read his ego rants, knowing what I know.

I only read for the spoilers, he’s not even witty anymore.

22. KESam

June 3, 2011 at 5:04 AM

Bentley is SO going to be on Bachelor Pad…if not this one, the next one. Mike Fleiss will not be able to resist.

23. finerthings

June 3, 2011 at 5:15 AM

Angie, I really liked your post. Thanks for showing a compassionate heart for someone…even when they’re behaving badly. It’s refreshing. <3

24. Mozart

June 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM

The producers most probably now want Bentley also for “Bachelor Pad”. 🙁 They are most likely thinking, “What drama! What excitement! What a gold mine! What thousands of more viewers we would have!”
    The producers, I imagine, are thinking of rationalizations they could use with the public to get them off the hook for capitalizing on Bentley’s probably being cast.
    They certainly know that if they don’t come up with a convincing story, there would be a tremendous backlash by an angry public for using Bentley yet again.
    I don’t know offhand what yarn the producers will spin to try to take the blame off themselves, but I think they will come up with something, although, I don’t think the public will buy it.

25. Mozart

June 3, 2011 at 3:47 PM

P.S. I think I know what the producers will concoct to make Bentley acceptable for “The Bachelor Pad”.
    They might say that Chris Harrison got in touch with Bentley, and Bentley broke down and sobbed that he was so very sorry! He feels so terrible for the hurt he had caused Ashley, and that he really liked Ashley and has learned his lesson!
    He would add that he greatly repented at his church and has begged his Heavenly Father for forgiveness for the tremendous hurt that he has caused.”
    Chris H. might say that it is only fair to give this guy another chance….. 😉

26. BentleyApologists

June 4, 2011 at 6:19 AM

Reality Steve you got a great blog. You have nailed what is actually the reality in the show. Stop by and check out our blog defending Bentley. I think you’ll like it. http://bentleywilliamsapologists.wordpress.com/

27. pace45

June 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Steve I know the how the show manipulates the contestants, and is probably doing the same to Bentley, but acting like this guy is innocent? Cmon now, I live around a ton of true mormans, and not one of them would play it along knowing they didn’t like the person. And also the fact that he is darn near trying to make love to the girl with how forward he is, true mormans don’t do that. That being said I think he is one of the best characters ever because half the guys feel the same, they just never say it, Ashley is not attractive whatsoever, so all these guys falling in love with her? ya right. Bentley is brilliant and tells the truth in the fact that, yes he just wants to win, that’s why these relationships always crumble. So do your thing Bentley, I just wish you would have strung it out longer.

28. thehollywoodknow

June 20, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Former contestants weigh in on the return of The Bachelorette bad boy Bentley, the show’s reasoning, and what it all means for Ashley Hebert. http://thehollywoodknow.com/?p=2740