The Bachelorette 7 - Ashley

The Bachelorette Recap – 5/30/11 Including an In Depth Look at the Bentley Situation

-Cocktail party time and some guys need attention that haven’t gotten any. Namely JP who didn’t get to go on any dates this week. That’s ok JP. Ashley has no problem with you pulling her aside first so she can ram her tongue down your throat. JP tries to play it a little coy by (oh god, not this again) telling her he’ll flip a coin, and heads he gets a kiss, tails he doesn’t. I’ve never hated the “lets flip a coin to make a decision game” more than I do after last night. It solidified the fact I will never decide anything that way ever again. So thanks “Bachelorette”. I don’t even think they actually determined what side the coin landed on. Judging by JP’s reaction, it landed on tails, but Ashley didn’t give a sh** and made out with him anyway. Ashley: “I’m not the type of girl to lean in for a kiss, but I wanted to kiss JP tonight.” I wouldn’t call that “leaning in for a kiss”. If Ashley had her way, she would’ve straddled him and made him slap her ass. Ok, I made the last part up, but she was quite aggressive with him. Maybe it’s because he’s a clone of her ex-boyfriend.

-Hey everybody! Out in the front room! William Caliendo has a George Bush impression he wants everyone to hear! And it’s just as awful as his Sean Connery! Yeah, William looks like he’ll be an opening act or mid carder the rest of his life. Can’t see this guy bringing down the house with any hour and a half set anytime soon. But William makes it known to the guys that even though he has a rose, he still wants to talk to Ashley. Now it’s Nicks turn to impress Ashley, and he brings her in the other room to line dance. I thought it went well for the time being, but I would’ve much rather seen him give Ashley a plank workout. Maybe have her work those obliques and core while she was dancing. Not like she needs all that much help with her midsection, but, it would’ve been nice to see. And just as Nick was about to go in for the kill, in walks William interrupting his alone time, even though he has a rose. So, for the 22nd consecutive season, someone with a rose asks for private time at the cocktail party, interrupting someone else, and making all the others question what they’re doing. Sorry. Nothing new here. We see it every season, and get the same reaction every season.

-William can’t stop gushing about his date to Ashley and wants to just kiss her again because his jokes are failing miserably out in the front room. “Nothing will be more romantic than the date we had.” Ashley even agrees with this sentiment. Is this really something she needs to be repeating? I mean, her guy is sitting at home right now listening to this BS where Ashley has now said twice that she’ll never have a more romantic first date than the one she had with William. Like he cares. That guy has probably already spent some “quality” time at the safe house with Ashley knocking the bottom out of it for a whole weekend. I’m guessing her date with William in Vegas is the last thing on his mind.

-It’s now Jeff’s time to pull Ashley aside and show her who he really is. The mask is gonna come off. I was on the edge of my seat in anticipation with this one. It was like the end of “Scooby Doo” when I would wait for them to pull the mask off of whoever that weeks criminal was and have them all say in unison, “It’s Mr. Spears, the hotel manager!” I think in all the episodes of “Scooby Doo” I ever used to watch, I can honestly say I could never guess who the person was behind it in any episode. I was clueless every time and would literally still be questioning how it was them 10 minutes after the show ended. I was a dumb kid. So, Jeff is all set to take the mask off when, of course, in steps Matt at the PERFECT time. Yeah, that wasn’t planned at all. No, Jeff couldn’t just say, “Can you wait five minutes?” He just went along with it, let Matt cut in, and went about his merry way, hopped aboard Tonto, and rode off into the sunset.

-Ben C. sits Ashley down for nothing other than to foreshadow next weeks date. He tells her he was so jealous of the guys who got to go on the group date because he loves to dance. If you don’t believe him, just watch this clip from a wedding he attended back in the day. He’s the second guy dancing in the video. Tell me Bens signature move isn’t the ol’ “throw the dice”. Yep. It is:

Hence the reason Ben gets the Flash Mob date next week. They couldn’t have set this up any easier if they tried. So how it works is, after talking with Ben, Ashley doesn’t go back to producers and say, “Hey, can I have Ben go on the Flash Mob date. He really likes to dance and I think he’d fit in perfect for that one.” No, Ben was already selected well before Ashley has any say in who gets to go on that date. They plan it and arrange it and pre-select who goes on what dates, not her.

-And finally we have Bentley who decides he wants to continue to play the game and make Ashley think he actually likes her. Says he’s gonna turn on the charm and make sure he kisses her. So he picks her up, puts her on his lap, and says “You kinda tired of talking” and starts making out with her. Ashley seems giddy through all this. Of course, cut to an ITM of Bentley saying “Wow. That was kinda boring. Started out good, but it sucked towards the end.” At this point, it’s all becoming more and more ridiculous. The more they keep showing Bentley insulting Ashley behind her back, the more stupid the show makes themselves look. It’s utterly ridiculous at this point, and the way Chris and the previews are hyping next weeks show, is making them hit an all time low. But hey, what do they care? You’ll all be talking about him the next day which means they’ve gotten exactly what they wanted.

Page 5 of 6« First...23456

1. finerthings

May 31, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Dear Readers,

Why would you be polite and wish me a happy birthday when I don’t know you? F*ck off.

Love,

😀 Steve, you are just a big dummy, aren’tcha?

2. finerthings

May 31, 2011 at 11:01 AM

Ok, onto the good stuff. I agree with you entirely about Bentley. I find it pretty hilarious and entertaining, which is what it’s supposed to be.

West. Freaks. Me. Out. I really tried to give the guy a chance after I read the articles about him or whatever. But honestly, I feel like everything he says makes my skin crawl. Just the way he talks about Ashley…I don’t know. He’s a creeper. Plus, I trust a mother’s instinct a lot. If his wife’s mom thinks he was involved in her death, I’m inclined to believe there was more going on there than a seizure.

I like JP the best at this moment.

Every time Ashley says “Perrfaaaact” with her stupid cheerleader affected-ness it reminds me how much I disliked her on Brad’s season. Other than that, she’s been quite tolerable.

3. mommyof2

May 31, 2011 at 11:25 AM

I said the same thing about the tragic deaths in the cast-mates lives seeming to be a new pre-requisite. It’s depressing having to feel sorry for everyone as opposed to one or two people. It kind of makes you feel less sympathetic towards anyone now if everyone has a tragic past. It’s too early to tell who I think has the best connection w/ Ashley or who I like the best, but from what I’ve seen so far, I like Ben C. and JP.

Bentley’s an a**; I just wish he would realize that the way he treats women will have an impact on how his young daughter will expect to be treated by men. Even if he treats her perfectly, she’ll see how he treats other women (including her mom, grandmom, etc..), and that’s how she’ll think she’s suppose to be treated by other men (disrespectfully). Some men are so stupid to even realize that the people they love most are hurt by the way they treat others. He needs to lead by example and treat all women respectfully if he wants his own daughter to expect to be treated that way as well. Hopefully he’ll realize this sooner rather than later or that Cozy will someday have an amazing stepfather who she will look up to instead- or an amazing grandfather on her mom’s side who does this. I’m guessing that Bentley’s treatment of women is a direct reflection of how his father treated his mother. So sad…

4. HeidiT

May 31, 2011 at 11:34 AM

Aside from the Toss the Dice move I believe Ben threw in the sprinkler, Hey, at least he wasn’t making the pizza and doing the Qtip. Typical drunk guy at the club the one humping the floor thinking he’s got moves and all the women want to dance with him. NOT.

As for Bentley, like I said after the first episode, if she’s stupid enough to keep him around after being warned by MM then she’s an idiot. Enough said.

5. Sunnyside422

May 31, 2011 at 12:54 PM

Was not impressed when Ashley was with Brad and less so now. Bow legged, rail thin, no rear, goofy giggles (she’s 26???)BUT she is following the script to a T, saying all the prescripted dialog we have been subjected to season after season.

Most of the men with the exception of JP and William are not in the least good looking. Who groomed these clowns anyway?! My early vote for the final one is….JP. Sexy and from the little shown thus far, seems fairly normal.

With the huge budget ABC has for this show…can’t they find different musical selections? Same boring music played at the “romantic” interludes show after show. Really? Nothing original to offer?

I believe the men are coached to say that Ashley is beautiful, sexy and hot. No way is this little muffin any of the above.

Bentley’s remarks remind me of the way Wes was screwed by the show and his remarks spliced and diced. Can’t believe Bentley is as stupid as we’ve been allowed to see.

6. Southern Bella

May 31, 2011 at 1:03 PM

Do you all really think Ashley is in the dark about Bentley? It’s quite obvious that she (and everybody else) is playing along. She was practically holding in her laughter when she was “begging” him to stick around. Go back and watch it.

It’s called a SCRIPT, people!

7. nattyfoo

May 31, 2011 at 1:05 PM

I’ve never left a comment before, but I have a pressing question… BTW, I have been reading your blog for years. Thanks for the great insight.

You stated that Bentley is a devout Mormon, but correct me if I am wrong… and I may be, but in the initial casting video he did, didn’t he have a refrigerator full of beer? I thought I saw that in his video… I might have to go back and watch it. Just wondered if you saw that as well.

Thanks

8. dutchgrl11

May 31, 2011 at 1:17 PM

DEAR STEVE: I was pretty shocked when I read your opening paragraph…the back-handed compliment thanking people for their bday wishes. You said 75% from people you don’t know and that you don’t “understand” that concept. HOW FUCKING RUDE! People read your blog and while they don’t know you personally, they are being nice. No wonder you’re single with that attitude! Truth be told, one reads your blog to get the spoilers, not for your great writing ability. A big portion of it is all about you and how great you are and how Bachelor execs are scared of you, yada yada…
    Your blog REEKS of ego and self promotion.

9. Holly in SoCal

May 31, 2011 at 6:04 PM

If Bentley was truly a “devout” Mormon, then how does he justify playing with Ashley’s feelings like he did and lying and deceiving her? Even if this was all set-up in advance by the producers/writers, he still couldn’t justify saying those mean things about her if he was truly a Mormon. The bible teaches just the opposite of his behavior, whether it was contrived or not. Besides, shouldn’t he be seeking out a fellow Mormon lady to be his wife…not someone that is not of his belief system? There is nothing in his religion that would justify him doing what he is doing (even if for money) or acting the way he is. If I were a Mormon…I’d be horrified to be represented that way. Just the same way that Michelle Money brought shame to her religion (if she truly is a Mormon). Shame on both of them.

10. ebayrae

May 31, 2011 at 7:05 PM

I’m with dutchgrl11. Who actually gives such a backhanded “thank you” to their readers? I’m trying to figure out who the bigger douche is: you…or Bentley.

I can tell you right now that Bentley is NOT Strict Mormon. If you were a Mormon–you’d be able to tell because there are some obvious indications. Just because he doesn’t drink alcohol doesn’t mean he actually lives the way a “strict” Mormon would. I actually laughed out loud when you wrote that he wasn’t even allowed to hold it on camera…where did you come up with this “doctrine”? Just thought you’d like to know for the future so you sound a little more informed before you make a fool of yourself.

11. scrantonicity

May 31, 2011 at 7:22 PM

I know this is wrong to say but Ames looks like he was one gene short of ending up on Little People, Big World. His head definitely looks more suited to little arms and legs.

12. Reason

May 31, 2011 at 8:56 PM

Assuming Bentley’s ITM video was available, then you can prove if Chris Harrison is lying by asking him one question: If he was so concerned about informing Ashley, why didn’t he show her Bentley’s ITM footage? By choosing to withhold those videos from Ashley, it would prove the producers are more interested in ratings than helping her make a decision about marriage. But we already knew that…

13. loca4linda2

June 1, 2011 at 3:00 AM

So, don’t you think the coin Ashley tossed to see if what’s his name, was staying was doubled sided with his pic? come on! Also, do you know if Bentley gets more $ than the other contestants?

14. hordac

June 1, 2011 at 11:56 AM

I will reserve judgment as to whether Ashley is playing a role here too with regards to Bentley’s dissing her until I see the next episode where she freaks out. I think we will be able to tell whether she is acting or not. Now, having said that, if she was unaware of the extent of his disdain for her than I am really disappointed in this show for subjecting her to what he is saying. I agree with you Steve, it makes ABC look horrible and Chris H. is just trying to make himself look like some good guy trying to warn her now. I don’t care whether she is happily engaged now or not. It has GOT to hurt her to hear this stuff. I don’t think its a case of editing all the way either. Sure maybe some, but him descibing the kiss?? How can that possibly relate to anything else?? I must confess though, that it does make the season interesting and I am gasping with shock after I hear his ITM’s!! ABC, evil but wise I tell you! I really hope you are happy though Ashley, what he is saying about you can’t go down very well and I would hate to have to sit through something like this myself personally.

15. sweetness34

June 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM

I think the one problem with Chris H.’s comment is that it’s completely inconsistent with the company line of the past few seasons. Chris H. was a large part of the storyline to “expose” Rozlyn on Jake’s season and then “expose” Justin Rego on Ali’s season.

The whole meat of the Justin storyline was that Chris H. wanted to inform Ali that Justin wasn’t there for the right reasons. However, the line with Bentley is, “well, we sort of warned her, but we try to stay out of these things….” Yeah, OK.

16. Trish

June 1, 2011 at 2:07 PM

Dutchgirl11 wrote:

A big portion of it is all about you and how great you are and how Bachelor execs are scared of you, yada yada… Your blog REEKS of ego and self promotion.

Truer words were never spoken.

Reality Steve is a far bigger phony than the shows he writes about. The truth is, he’d love to have a job on the Bachelor as producer in charge of the hypocrisy and deceit he otherwise attempts to expose each week. Sadly, guys him and the yahoos at votefortheworst have been unable to land their dream jobs on reality television, so they take to internet with their petty blah blah blah. Get a real job.

17. serpephone

June 1, 2011 at 4:08 PM

How do the readers know it’s Steve’s birthday?

Strange…

anyways, I am just happy Reality Steve is older than me!

😛

18. strike9

June 1, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Didn’t like Ashley in Brad’s season. Trying to like her now, but she’s making it very hard because she laughs at EVERYTHING. I mean, things that aren’t even supposed to be funny. For instance – on her first date with William, when the lame Vegas groupies shout “we love you Ashley!”, she does the annoying laugh. Really. That’s funny? Later when Blake tells her that two dentists together would be twice as perfect, more stupid laughter. What? Mickey is surprised by a concert. HA HA HA HA HA.

Maybe I’d be okay with the inappropriate laughter if she had a cute laugh, but she so doesn’t.

19. Angie L

June 2, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Love your take on a lot of issues relative to the show. I’m a Mormon like Bentley and he being a “STRICT Mormon” is a total NONSENSE. Strict Mormons take seriously how they come across to everyone: they know that they, in every way, represent the church so they’ll watch their language, their conduct … and they can be rather picky as to whom they want to associate themselves with. He is a Mormon but I doubt he is a devout one. Also, there’s this impression that the Church forces ‘things’ on us. Contrary to what most believe about us _ ‘Free Agency’ is an EXTREMELY IMPORTANT PRINCIPLE in the church _ in fact, it constitutes the core beliefs of this religion starting from the time one enters the waters of baptism…. A member is a free-agent who becomes a member because he or she chooses to be so. We are free to choose the path we want to walk on …. The church educates us what will help us spiritually and it is up to us to take/reject those advices. I understand where Bentley’s coming from. I don’t think he is emotionally over his divorce … the break-up of that relationship and he is acting these out these frustrations even bitterness. I hope he’ll find peace soon. Happiness can become very elusive when ‘forgiveness’ hasn’t taken place. He needs to embrace the loss as a learning and growing experience and move on!

As regards Ashley being with JP, I think he is a great choice … and I hope things work out for them. Thanks for posting your blog. I enjoy your opinion.

20. NWpdx

June 2, 2011 at 6:02 PM

I was glad to see other readers were equally as put off by how snippy “Reality Steve” was about his birthday greetings! For someone who relies on readers to come to his site, that was really short sighted, but I have a feeling he doesn’t really give a sh*t about the readers, just his ego. He obviously doesn’t appreciate the readers he has as he won’t even answer other questions other than “how do you know” as another person posted. If it weren’t for spoilers why come to the site?

21. BachFan15

June 2, 2011 at 8:57 PM

Reality Steve is a douche. A friend of mine went out with him awhile back, and he’s a total loser. Dude is constantly on his phone thinking he’s a celebrity, even a the dinner table, and he’s bad in bed. I always crack up when I read his ego rants, knowing what I know.

I only read for the spoilers, he’s not even witty anymore.

22. KESam

June 3, 2011 at 5:04 AM

Bentley is SO going to be on Bachelor Pad…if not this one, the next one. Mike Fleiss will not be able to resist.

23. finerthings

June 3, 2011 at 5:15 AM

Angie, I really liked your post. Thanks for showing a compassionate heart for someone…even when they’re behaving badly. It’s refreshing. <3

24. Mozart

June 3, 2011 at 3:37 PM

The producers most probably now want Bentley also for “Bachelor Pad”. 🙁 They are most likely thinking, “What drama! What excitement! What a gold mine! What thousands of more viewers we would have!”
    The producers, I imagine, are thinking of rationalizations they could use with the public to get them off the hook for capitalizing on Bentley’s probably being cast.
    They certainly know that if they don’t come up with a convincing story, there would be a tremendous backlash by an angry public for using Bentley yet again.
    I don’t know offhand what yarn the producers will spin to try to take the blame off themselves, but I think they will come up with something, although, I don’t think the public will buy it.

25. Mozart

June 3, 2011 at 3:47 PM

P.S. I think I know what the producers will concoct to make Bentley acceptable for “The Bachelor Pad”.
    They might say that Chris Harrison got in touch with Bentley, and Bentley broke down and sobbed that he was so very sorry! He feels so terrible for the hurt he had caused Ashley, and that he really liked Ashley and has learned his lesson!
    He would add that he greatly repented at his church and has begged his Heavenly Father for forgiveness for the tremendous hurt that he has caused.”
    Chris H. might say that it is only fair to give this guy another chance….. 😉

26. BentleyApologists

June 4, 2011 at 6:19 AM

Reality Steve you got a great blog. You have nailed what is actually the reality in the show. Stop by and check out our blog defending Bentley. I think you’ll like it. http://bentleywilliamsapologists.wordpress.com/

27. pace45

June 6, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Steve I know the how the show manipulates the contestants, and is probably doing the same to Bentley, but acting like this guy is innocent? Cmon now, I live around a ton of true mormans, and not one of them would play it along knowing they didn’t like the person. And also the fact that he is darn near trying to make love to the girl with how forward he is, true mormans don’t do that. That being said I think he is one of the best characters ever because half the guys feel the same, they just never say it, Ashley is not attractive whatsoever, so all these guys falling in love with her? ya right. Bentley is brilliant and tells the truth in the fact that, yes he just wants to win, that’s why these relationships always crumble. So do your thing Bentley, I just wish you would have strung it out longer.

28. thehollywoodknow

June 20, 2011 at 8:21 AM

Former contestants weigh in on the return of The Bachelorette bad boy Bentley, the show’s reasoning, and what it all means for Ashley Hebert. http://thehollywoodknow.com/?p=2740