Reader Emails

More “Bachelor Pad” Info, Chris Harrison Nonsense, and Your “Reader Emails” – 6/10/11

1)How far in advance does the bachelor/ette get to watch the episodes before they air?

2) Do you think the producers would ever allow the final two to watch all the episodes in advance together? It seems that one of the biggest obstacles to these couples staying together is that the guy or girl chosen by the bachelor/ette, has to watch the episode each Monday alone, and then talk it out over the phone their partner? I would think that if the two of them could sit down shortly after filming and just watch the whole season together, it would at least diffuse one of the obstacles, and wouldn’t affect the production value of the show. If anything they would just end up with more couples together that last. Thoughts?

Comment: 1) Not very much. Less than a week.

2) It all depends on when the final twos “safe house” meeting is. If its over a Monday, then I’m sure they watch it together. But those meetings are strictly done according to both parties schedules. The final couple sees each other enough while the show is airing to determine whether or not its gonna work. I don’t think whether they watch the show together or not has correlation to how long they last.
_________________________________________________________________

You mentioned contestants can’t shop, yet from time to time they show up with gifts, ie: JP’s flowers. What about the Bachelor/ette – they always have something to present to parents, and then there are those often idiotic gifts that have been exchanged on the final date before the final rose ceremony – picture frames, scrapbooks, used condoms. (oh, sorry) Just curious if all of those are producer’s ideas, or if both sides are allowed time-to-shop and creativity as the season dwindles down.

Comment: Since I really didn’t know the answer to this one, I asked an anonymous former contestant. Here’s what they said:

“If they show up with gifts (i.e. flowers, gifts for parents, etc.) the producers or handlers go out and get these.

For the gifts that the contestant gives at the ‘last chance date’, you can go out with your handler to get supplies.

Once it is down to 4 people left, you are allowed to go out with your handler. The handlers are just always in contact and know where each other are, so that no one run’s into each other.”

There you go.
_________________________________________________________________

Let’s just suppose Bentley really did think Emily was going to be the bachelorette and the producers never told him otherwise. If when he realized it was Ashley he told them he wanted to leave, would he be in violation of his contract? If the producers wanted to keep him around would they have made a deal with him (you can go home after 3 shows if you do such and such), would they have strongly suggested he stick around (so as not to make Ashley feel bad) but still let him make the decision, or would they go so far as to offer him money to stay?

Also, wouldn’t you think that someone like Ashley who has already been on another show and watched it and probably read or at least heard of your column would realize the manipulation that might be going on?

Comment: I offered my opinion on that above, but I will say he definitely wasn’t in violation of his contract if at any point he wanted to leave. These people just get talked into staying longer for whatever reason. Mostly because they’re lied to and told or promised things that’ll never happen. If Bentley wanted to leave after the first night, and he told the producers as much, yet he stayed three episodes, my guess is they urged him to stick it out and see what happens, and for some reason he obliged. I’m not gonna say it was money because I have no idea. I just know these producers hold a very strong hand over a lot of these contestants that those of us who’ve never been on the show will never understand.

I’m sure Ashley is well aware of how things are manipulated and coerced out of people on this show, but not to the extent of which the Bentley stuff was being said. Not to mention that she signed up for, and is paid to be the “Bachelorette”, so, they pretty much own her and she does pretty much what she’s told. This nonsense about “Ashley was ready to quit, we almost had to shut production down”, or “this was almost a four or five week show”, is nonsense. Ashley had an obligation to fulfill when she signed on the dotted line. This show was finishing production come hell or high water whether she liked it or not.
_________________________________________________________________

1. finerthings

June 10, 2011 at 11:57 AM

I’m not sure if you’re trying to be overly modest with your answer to the first reader e-mail, or if you just don’t know the effects of your blog, somehow. Every online news article and blog that I had read on the Bachelor last season quoted “Reality Steve’s predictions” and yes, it was definitely an assumption online, BECAUSE OF YOU, that Emily would be the Bachelorette. That didn’t seem to be the question in that e-mail. I think the question was, do you care that you affected Ashley’s emotions? (because they were in fact affected by you) It’s kind of interesting that this whole season of the Bachelorette has that flavor because you were wrong last season. Weird.

2. itsmelauren

June 10, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I think that Steve has more readership than he thinks he does, but honestly, I think it wasn’t him that caused her emotions. Ashley is just an insecure person. Come on, we saw what she was like with Brad. Constant questioning and worrying about the other girls. Her insecurity isn’t going to go away once she’s the Bachelorette. In fact, it probably increases because she now has 25 guys who can reject her instead of one. It’s not Steve’s fault for Ashley’s insecurities. If Ashley can’t take criticism or rejection, she shouldn’t be in the public eye. (Obviously I don’t condone being mean, but as evidenced by the roast, she can’t take much.)

3. poddington

June 10, 2011 at 8:44 PM

I remember there was a time when they actually said bachelors were “hand picked”, or “screened” just for XYZ bachelorette…noticed they did not say that with Ashley. Thats just what you want, a dooshwad that finds your type an ugly duckling. simply awful. My guess is thy could have rustled up a mess a guys that are just Ashley’s type…if they had even cared to try.

4. Caroll

June 12, 2011 at 10:56 AM

I personally do not and have not found Bentley good looking. I guess Ashley did though plus his words and behavior toward her made her feel good. What he said behind the scenes sound sociopathic or psychopathic. Being able to be glib and charming to suit his own ends of playing her. I hope the “plot” moves on now and away from him which Steve’s spoilers indicate will happen.

5. morrigan0

June 13, 2011 at 8:27 AM

I guess this is a sign unemployment is killing me…..I find myself looking forward to tonight’s episode.

6. morrigan0

June 13, 2011 at 8:44 AM

Found BP breakdown over at EW it names the 18 people then throws in 3 mystery men from ashley’s season. I think they’ll inlclude Ben C and Bentley. http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/13/bachelor-pad-cast-season-2/

7. jdub

June 13, 2011 at 12:03 PM

I saw Mask Guy Jeff in St. Louis on Saturday night (June 11) so we won’t have to suffer through him on BP. Everyone this season is so boring, it’s a shame that 3 will be getting more air time.

8. hordac

June 13, 2011 at 2:18 PM

Well I’m glad ABC is taking some heat over this Bentley thing, though they are rubbing their hands fiendishly together behind the scenes at all the press its generating. Hey, in the end, this may be good for Ashley. There is probably nothing more mortifying than being called an ugly duckling on national TV, therefore she’ll develop a thicker skin. Shame on you ABC, this was really cruel and I actually feel mortified on her behalf. I hope once this is all over and she has no fear of repercussions she really tells us what she thinks of their slimeball tactics. I hope her and JP find some lasting happiness, which would make this all better for her and worth going through. Wish her all the best for the future!

9. BentleyApologists

June 13, 2011 at 5:27 PM

“Original Bachelorette Footage Edited”—Exclusive Commentary from Bentley*

BENTLEY WAS RIGHT!

Search BENTLEY APOLOGISTS

10. Reason

June 13, 2011 at 7:33 PM

We all know that in order to keep a show on the air you need to get ratings, but it takes a real slimeball to hurt people in order to bring about that goal.

By choosing not to share Bentley’s ITMs with Ashley while she was on the show, ABC has revealed they are willing to hurt others in order to promote their program. Although this had been done before to some degree in earlier seasons, like hiring Michelle Money and lying about her profession as an actress by stating she was still a Hairstylist, this season has been much more direct about it. Sure, they can get ratings by feeding Ashley the false pretense that they will only keep suitors who are there for the “right reason” but the show in its current format will only last as long as there is anyone left who believes it. At least we can now be sure who isn’t there for the “right reason” anymore: the producers and writers of the show. It will be interesting, and maybe even entertaining, to see how the show changes as fewer contestants and viewers buy into the overall premise.

11. bigguysmama

June 13, 2011 at 10:22 PM

I know that it’s hard to wrap your mind around how the ladies can get so riled up about some dude that we’ve never met who treats some chick we’ve never met horribly. IMHO I’d have to say that it’s because we see an injustice happening. We’re seeing someone being talked about in a terrible way and we react to it. We’re ladies, that’s what we do. I mean, this guy was blatantly saying the most hurtful and bullying things, and using his daughter as an excuse in the end. We see this slime ball and he clearly has no remorse for how he feels, thinks or acts, and we have a strong reaction to it. I’m not sure how we couldn’t. Some people cry at sappy movies when we know it’s just a movie, make believe. Others want to throw drinks at a guy because he was mean spirited, disgusting, and a sad excuse for well, anything! Will he be on the Men Tell All? Has he said anything to indicate that he’s not this lowlife that he portrayed himself to be? If not, then I’d say he’ll end up with a couple of drinks in his face.

12. Sylvester

June 15, 2011 at 1:31 AM

Steve,

Twice now you have commented about the final 4 regarding the next bachelor and have indicated that Constantine and Ben are total yawns and would not be it. We now know that Ames is on Bachelor Pad so obviously not a final 4. Since both times you failed to mention JP – is he the last man standing? He would also make a good next bachelor, unless of course Ashley chose him.I quite like him. I also like Ryan. So, my question… Freudian slip in not mentioning his name? or accidental oversight?

13. Small_Peanut

June 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM

As mentioned above (just now read this bit) I believe the entire thing is scripted on both ends. I’m sorry but I highly doubt anyone (no matter how big a jerk) would go on national TV and say those things KNOWING she’ll watch later. I believe he was paid to play that part and I believe Ashley was also in on it. If I had to bet money in Vegas, that’s where I’d roll my dice. The entire scenario is scripted to create ratings. I just can’t believe everyone believes this is real. How many seasons has this aired and how many times have we been proven the manipulation of the show? She’s not that stupid and would never mentioned Bentley 100 times knowing the other guys would see it. I just don’t believe it. Also, how coincidental Michelle Money called her? And, now she’s cast on Bachelor pad. PLEASE! FAKE FAKE FAKE. The last REAL season was probably Andrew Firestones, I wish they would keep it real vs. all these fake story lines. Just like the guy with the mask was a plant.

14. carlachmie

June 19, 2011 at 9:17 PM

what is the latest with brad and emily? i know people are probably always asking you this, but neither speak to the public about their relationship. so i was wondering if you knew the details? so far we brad/emily fans know that they were off then on. We all saw the pics of em’s visit to dallas and at the airport, saw the pics of emily without her ring, and thats the latest. i was really hoping you could find out what is going on between the two!