Reader Emails

Emily is NOT the Next “Bachelorette”, Newest Writer to the Site, and “Reader Emails” – 7/8/11

Steve,

I absolutely love reading your posts. It breaks up the monotony at my boring desk job. I especially enjoyed the 90210 links. Took me back to high school and college and I spent the remainder of my day that day watching old episodes online. I had stopped watching the Bachelor series during Brad’s first season because of how unbelievable and cheesy the show had become. I found your site during Deanna’s season and have been watching it so I can read your posts ever since. I am amazed at the people who take such time to e-mail you and tell you how little they think of you. Why on earth do they spend the time reading your site if they despise you so much? I don’t have any questions. Just wanted to thank for the entertainment. You crack me up!

Comment: I thoroughly enjoyed writing the column on the 27th. That was fun. Especially since I had just gotten done watching 4 episodes that weekend of 90210 from their junior year of college. Pound for pound, their best season in my mind. I just watched this past weekends 4 episodes on Wednesday. I forgot how good this season was. So much good crap going on that season and, outside of Kelly, Brandon had his most believable and likable girlfriend, in Susan Keats. Crappy way they broke up, but still arguably his best girlfriend not named Kelly. I could go on for days about that season. It aired in 1996-1997 which was my senior year of college. Which is funny because during my senior year of college, I was 21. The 90210 cast was in their junior year of college during 1996-97 and they were all roughly 45 years old in real life. Funny how that works.

I can’t believe re-watching those episodes now fifteen years later how much I remember. If the situation calls for it, I’ll definitely make some more 90210 references in upcoming columns. Although, I have a new show that I might throw in some clips from that I can almost guarantee everybody watched.
______________________________________________________________

do you know who wins yet? if so can u respond to this email at ********@me.com

Comment: Nope. No clue. Sure, I’ll email you. Just be patient. I’ll get around to it sometime before the calendar year is up. Sit tight.

So three things:

1) Do you think the show’s relationship with the contestants is like an abusive relationship? They keep the contestants completely isolated and they are not even allowed to use their phones. They manipulate them and have to control everything they do. And then they have all these secrets they are trying to keep from the outside world. I don’t know, there seems to be a lot of similarities.

2) Do you think Michelle Money will be at the “Men Tell All”? It might make it slightly less boring for me; she’s my favorite contestant ever.

3) Have you noticed the unreasonable number of people who are saying that Bentley is a sociopath? So West is a murderer and now Bentley is a sociopath. Bachelor/ette fans seem to know a lot about these contestants after watching them for three episodes on a highly edited TV show, maybe they should be the ones doing the casting.

Comment: 1) I’d say that’s a fairly accurate comparison.

2) I would not be surprised in the least bit if she was. Nothing confirmed yet, but I can definitely see that happening.

3) That’s what crazy fans of this show think, and lets face it, you can’t argue with crazy. No matter what you say, you’re wrong, so it’s not even worth getting into it with them.
______________________________________________________________

The subject of this email was: “Canada Joke”. I guess it was in reference to the Canadian woman who sent me the pictures of her TV when ET: Canada was on.

If you thought that was funny it wasn’t. If you think nothing good comes from Canada, do you not take our money like the millions of dollars we donated for disasters and your ignorant self rants about this free country and it’s people? At least we get free health care and when we sing “free” in our national anthem we actually mean it. (compare our crime rate to yours) Next time the US needs donations I want you to say nothing good comes from Canada while you’re begging for money. You’re so ignorant which is why some Canadians think you guys are retards down there.

And since you rant about the bachelor/bachelorette shows, why does an American show that’s not even that old take on Canadian contestants and even one particular bachelorette?

Quality not Quanitity.

And if you’re going through all this time at least get your facts straight about the winners.

God Bless you

Comment: Some people in this world just get it, and some people don’t. This person doesn’t. Probably cuz they live in Canada. Easily the worst email I’ve received since at least, oh I don’t know, last week.
______________________________________________________________

hi steve,

i love your site and always read every tues and fri. I have 2 comments

1) DONT MAKE FUN OF JEWS!

2) you said last fri which i qoute from your site “Even though it’s a repeat on Monday, I’m gonna have a column up sometime Tuesday talking about “Bachelorette” & “Bachelor Pad” things” and on tues i looked and nothing was there so if you say something keep your word

Comment: 1) You’re an idiot

2) Yes I did. But I was on vacation and decided I was too busy to step away and write a column. I thought I would have time, which is why I wrote that last Friday, but I didn’t. Please excuse me for not being able to deliver for you every second of the day. I sincerely apologize oh strange person I’ve never talked to in my life. I’ll be sure to notify you immediately from now on if I’m thinking about delaying any columns. Can’t win.
______________________________________________________________

Send your emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. See you Tuesday.

1. ScottOttersen

July 8, 2011 at 9:51 AM

Thanks Steve, again, for this opportunity! I’m going to have fun with it and hopefully keep the readers coming back for more! I may be a bit of an a-hole at times, but hey, isn’t that the fun part of it all?!?

2. jenniferboston1

July 8, 2011 at 9:55 AM

JMHO, but I think Emily had her on on being the Bachelorette the whole time1 i wouldn’t be surprised if next year, she was announced as!

BTW, Canadians, don’t hate all of us! I love Canada! <3

3. jenniferboston1

July 8, 2011 at 9:56 AM

oops! meant to say
    “eye on’ being the Bachlorette!

4. Angela

July 8, 2011 at 10:58 AM

Once again…loved your post. I don’t think Emily would make a good Bachelorette. She seemed kind of boring on Brad’s season. I always find myself laughing when I read your site. The best parts are the ones where you give your opinion.

Thanks for taking the time to write this blog.

5. Sunnyside422

July 8, 2011 at 12:07 PM

Never found Emily of interest. Too plastic and boring. Definitely a Barbie Doll in every way. What a waste of air time Monday hearing her try to explain why she never ever had any interests in Brad. Much rather see JP interact with Ashley. He is mighty fine.

No way will Em give up the lifestyle the Hendricks family has afforded her. She’ll probably never marry as she’d be afraid the gravy train would come to a screeching halt! Playing the long suffering “my boyfriend died and I was pregnant” routine is getting old.

6. finerthings

July 8, 2011 at 1:20 PM

I don’t think that’s a very good schedule for BB recaps. Most of what goes on happens on the Wed/Thurs shows, so that will have to be shortened, and then an entire recap will be devoted to the nothing-Sunday shows. O_o Makes no sense.

Also, “I’m not sexist! I assigned all the women to Real Housewives!” Just joshin’ ya, Steve, but that was humorous.

I agree with you about Emily. If she DOES end up as the Bachelorette, she’s a hypocrite and a liar.

7. morrigan0

July 8, 2011 at 5:07 PM

I liked Emily on the show but ever since then she’s come across as plastic and fake. Not sure/don’t care why. WTF was said about Canadians…or Jews for that matter? Looked quickly over last post and Canada was only mentioned w/reference to NYC story with nothing remotely negative written. LOL…these are the psychopaths that go out and kill people cause they THINK they heard something.

8. VibeCat

July 8, 2011 at 6:55 PM

All I can say after reading all the reader e-mails is “Mindy” who just found your website and wants to know where the one with all the spoilers is… must be a blonde.

Before everyone piles on – I am blonde (with brunette roots!) and I am just kidding! :o)

9. anon1983

July 8, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Um what if they do a back to back bachelorette this time? Meaning, they would air bachelorette again in the fall with Emily and then the bachelor in the spring? Seems like no one stands out from this season enough to be the bachelor in the fall so they might as well go with Emily who already is a fan favorite. Seems like the smart move for the show.

10. Susan

July 9, 2011 at 10:36 AM

Anon, I think you’re on to something. There is absolutely nobody that anybody wants to see as the Bachelor out of this group. It’s weird they brought Emily back and she’s tired of being alone and saying all the I want to be the Bachelorette things. Especially since they played up all season how several of the guys wished it had been Emily.

11. mja

July 9, 2011 at 10:40 AM

I could see why they might do another Bachelorette show right away, given the reasons anon1983 has mentioned. But I’m not interested in seeing Emily as the Bachelorette. As morrigan0 says, during Brad’s season she seemed interesting… but even on the wrap-up show to the season I already thought she was showing another side that was not so likeable.

None of the guys on Ashley’s season seem like a good candidate for next Bachelor (except JP, but he is apparently not available). I think I agree with Steve that Ryan would be most likely to be asked, even though he’ll be eliminated soon. Since he does come back to try to win her back, he will be on every show until the last 2, I think. And that might be late enough in the series to stay in people’s memories. I really hope it wouldn’t be Constantine — dull and boring so far on this season. I do like Ben, but his character on screen just doesn’t seem interesting enough to sustain an entire season.

12. mja

July 9, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Susan wrote: “I heard Jake was on Zap2It trying to insinuate he would be the Bachelor again. OMG, how horrific would that be?? I wish he would just go away, far far away.”

Oh, no! I would skip that season… as I skipped his other season as Bachelor (except for the finale, which was bad enough).

13. Sunnyside422

July 9, 2011 at 1:51 PM

In the looks department for next Bachelor, I’d choose Blake…but if he is still with skanky Holly, he might choose not to commit to the show. Recall how he comforted Ashley when she began to sob (even tho he was frank with her and she couldn’t take that). Compared that to Bentley who ranted about how awful women were when they cried. Lots of support and caring from that one! Opps sorry I mention the B name. I swore I’d never say it or think it.

I hope Ryan is not Bachelor. He is so cloying and smarmy. Too girley for me to stomach a whole season! His true personality began to emerge as the show progressed and it was not a great one.

14. mommyof2

July 10, 2011 at 12:05 PM

I like the idea of flip-flopping the Bachelorette and Bachelor seasons, having the Bachelorette air this fall and waiting for the Bachelor to air next spring instead. I’m not interested in any of the guys from Ashley’s season being the next bachelor, except for JP, but since Ashley chooses him, he’s out. I do like the idea of having Emily as the bachelorette. I know some people think she’s fake, etc., but I always liked her. She could bring her daughter along for the season like Jason brought his son during his season. Then, maybe the pool of guys from her season would be good for the next bachelor in the spring. I think that’s a great idea!!

15. buffynut

July 11, 2011 at 6:52 AM

Just an FYI, Steve. Idol doesn’t come back in Septemember. It’s akays a January to May show except for Season 1. You’ll have X-Factor though!

16. morrigan0

July 11, 2011 at 1:14 PM

I think it’ll be interesting to see who gets picked for bachelor, I don’t think they’ll do another bachelorette. My bet is that they’ll recycle someone from a previous season. I can’t recall people per se but remember thinking Deanna had a great bunch of guys, so maybe one of those guys.

17. HeidiT

July 11, 2011 at 6:47 PM

Syntax flaws are written in programming code, cudos to any middle schooled child that can write syntax. Don’t you just hate those who try to put others down by trying to appear smart and failing miserably? Your readers never cease to amaze me. Morons.

18. fluorophore

July 12, 2011 at 6:35 AM

Emily did not look good at all. Yikes. I hope she’s taking her vitamins and avoiding “poking the bear.”

19. K-Flash

July 12, 2011 at 8:36 AM

I feel truly sorry for Brad. I think if Emily were about 10 years older, and more mature, she may be singin’ a different tune. If in fact, she’s connected to her deceased husband’s wealth + family…there may not be a chance in hell for any man to ever make it into her life.

Last night’s mini-interview w/ Emily and Chris basically re-iterated to me, that Brad was the one with all the feelings for her, but she couldn’t reciprocate. I read somewhere that Brad blamed himself for the demise of the relationship, but I think he’s just playing the stoic one there. Me thinks, Emily was the one that put the breaks on! Sorry to say this Brad…she’s just not that into you. I hope though, you can find love.

20. mommyof2

July 12, 2011 at 8:46 AM

I’m tired of reading all of these people saying Emily just can’t leave behind the Hendrick’s paying for her lifestyle, etc… Who are any of you to say that? Whose to say they wouldn’t still pay to help out their granddaughter, particularly her education (assuming she even goes to a private school, which she may not), even if Emily did end up with Brad. It’s ridiculous to speculate about that being the reason for Emily and Brad not working out. It’s pretty obvious by Emily’s interview that she had to think of her daughter in making the decision that things couldn’t work out with Brad, and I commend Emily for putting her daughter ahead of herself. She didn’t want to uproot her daughter from her friends, school, and current life to start all over somewhere else when she felt things may not work out with Brad in the end. It makes sense to me. Emily came off as sincere to me. And, to be honest, it’s really between Brad and Emily why they didn’t work out. I don’t blame either one in the end. Let’s move on….

21. Caroll

July 12, 2011 at 9:52 AM

The problem is that Brad is not ready for marriage. He would get drunk and cancel plans at the last minute to fly to visit Emily. He owns bars; that should be a warning sign he could have issues regarding drinking at inappropriate times, planning a trip and having to cancel at the last minute due to inebriation. He would get angry with her when she was upset at the paparazzi’s chasing her and her daughter and then try to make amends to her with flowers and candy. He has a lot of work to do before he is ready to get married. Emily has to have a stable marriage partner, especially with a five year old daughter to consider.

22. SherryfromD

July 12, 2011 at 10:11 AM

^^What Caroll says sounds like how Brad’s ex described him…getting angry and then coming around trying to make amends.

Maybe I’m missing something, but why would Michelle Money be at the Men Tell All?

23. JovisMom

July 12, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Sherry – Michelle would be at the MTA b/c she was the one that alerted Ashley about Bentley.

24. SherryfromD

July 12, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Nevermind. Forgot how she said Bentley was there for the wrong reasons and since 95% of this show was about him, makes sense now.

25. JovisMom

July 12, 2011 at 10:18 AM

I don’t know about ya all but wouldn’t it be a hoot if they had Bentley as the next Bachelor? I know it would never happen, and I am pretty sure he’s get a slap from every girl who steps out of that limo!