Thank you again for a great blog and great insights. I never thought I would become a watcher of a show like this, but since discovering my now wife and your blog, it is definitely entertaining. Two questions:
1. What is the target demographic of this show? I think it is middle aged ladies (and perhaps their boyfriends / husbands who get roped into watching as well, I denounce myself, heh). Am I correct?
2. If the viewers are older, would ABC ever consider doing this show with somewhat older contestants? My wife and I just passed the “big four-oh” in age, and it struck us how ABC would not reveal Gwen’s age on the last season of “Bachelor Pad”. Like she looked bad just because she was 39? She looked great to me. Meanwhile, it seems that The Bachelor(ette) rarely takes anyone over 30, the maximum age ever seems to be have been 36. Would a show of later thirty something and perhaps forty something contestants work? Obviously, if they had older contestants, they would have to have the hunkiest gents or the most Cougar-like women they could find. As it stands, so many of the young women on this show have had cosmetic surgery already.
Of course, I can think of two reasons perhaps why not: A) Looks. The prettier the packages the better. (As stated before, if they had older contestants, they would have to have the most telegenic men and women they could find). B) Manipulation. I suspect the young twenty somethings are easier for Mike Fleiss and the gang to manipulate for ratings stunts, and a wiser person of 35 or more might balk at the more tacky plots and ratings ploys.
Comment: 1) Women 18-49, and that’s all they care about. Ratings are down about 10% overall this season, but that’s very misleading. ABC has won the two hour Monday night timeslot for the women 18-49 demographic every single week this season, so that’s all that matters to them. Advertisers LOVE women television watchers because that’s who they target. Which is why this show is going nowhere anytime soon.
2) I highly doubt it. They’re on a roll with younger, good looking people because frankly, that’s who the audience wants to watch. Not saying there aren’t attractive older people in this world because there are, but in the year 2011, in the world we live in, looks are everything. And this show casts accordingly. I don’t fault them. It’s what the audience wants. Name one show on television, reality or non-reality, where everyone in the cast is fat or ugly, or both? Can’t really do it, and that’s because America likes watching good looking people on TV. What do you think soap operas are on the air for? Their witty storylines? Please. It’s T&A. Hot guys with six packs for the women, and chicks with giant cleavage and rock hard bodies for, well, the women. Guys don’t watch daytime soaps unless they’re forced to. (“Biggest Loser” doesn’t count to my question above since that show has a purpose for casting not so attractive and overweight people).
Quick question – I know Graham Bauhm is on Bachelor Pad 2. He dated Chrishell Stause (an actress on All My Children for a while) I was surprised to hear he was on bachelor pad. Any ideas if he is still dating Chrishell and do you have any info on their breakup?? I have seen so many pics of them together in soap magazines.
Comment: Graham and Chrishell were on and off for a few years. She was basically the reason he did the “Bachelorette” the first time around. You know that Chrishell was one of the finalists to be the “Bachelorette” that season before they decided on DeAnna, right? Well, she was. She was also one of the reasons Graham pretty much left DeAnna’s show. However, they are not dating now, and were not dating before “Bachelor Pad”, although some recent tweets of hers that were angrily directed at him wanted you to think they were. I think someone might’ve been a tad jealous. Oh, she deleted those tweets? Figures. Looks like she came to her senses. Here’s one thing I’ll say in favor of Chrisell: She is smoking f***ing hot. However, her love life seems to be a bit dramatic if you ask me. Google her name and you’ll see what I’m talking about.
I love reading your column because you are always honest and I always get a good laugh. My question is this:
1) What made you decide to write about the Bachelor/ette? There are so many shows out there to write about, what made you write about this one?
2) What do you think of the remaining men?
Comment: 1) Long story. Have told it on numerous occasions, most recently in an interview I did with Web Pro News. It’s on page three of these posts, last column. If you can’t find that, if you scroll down the right hand column and click the link “Interviews”, you can find stuff there too.
2) I don’t care about any of them, nor have I really cared about any of the contestants while the show is airing. Now, if I get to know them after the fact, that’s different. But while it’s airing, I do not for the life of me give a rat’s ass who wins, who would look cute together, who I think they should be with, etc. Makes no difference to me.
You’re sarcastic, slanted, sophomoric and skewed comments and replies to your readers’ emails are truly entertaining and doggone hilarious. I freakin find you SEXY and YUMMMMMY! lol!
Comment: Lets just say that’s the first time I think I’ve ever been called “yummy” before. I need more of that. There are plenty of women out there who I find yummy, but I’ve never gotten it in return. Sweet. That’s one.