Bachelor Pad 2

Some Spoiler Confirmations, A Chris Harrison Interview, and a Boatload of “Reader Emails” – 7/15/11

Thank you again for a great blog and great insights. I never thought I would become a watcher of a show like this, but since discovering my now wife and your blog, it is definitely entertaining. Two questions:

1. What is the target demographic of this show? I think it is middle aged ladies (and perhaps their boyfriends / husbands who get roped into watching as well, I denounce myself, heh). Am I correct?

2. If the viewers are older, would ABC ever consider doing this show with somewhat older contestants? My wife and I just passed the “big four-oh” in age, and it struck us how ABC would not reveal Gwen’s age on the last season of “Bachelor Pad”. Like she looked bad just because she was 39? She looked great to me. Meanwhile, it seems that The Bachelor(ette) rarely takes anyone over 30, the maximum age ever seems to be have been 36. Would a show of later thirty something and perhaps forty something contestants work? Obviously, if they had older contestants, they would have to have the hunkiest gents or the most Cougar-like women they could find. As it stands, so many of the young women on this show have had cosmetic surgery already.

Of course, I can think of two reasons perhaps why not: A) Looks. The prettier the packages the better. (As stated before, if they had older contestants, they would have to have the most telegenic men and women they could find). B) Manipulation. I suspect the young twenty somethings are easier for Mike Fleiss and the gang to manipulate for ratings stunts, and a wiser person of 35 or more might balk at the more tacky plots and ratings ploys.

Comment: 1) Women 18-49, and that’s all they care about. Ratings are down about 10% overall this season, but that’s very misleading. ABC has won the two hour Monday night timeslot for the women 18-49 demographic every single week this season, so that’s all that matters to them. Advertisers LOVE women television watchers because that’s who they target. Which is why this show is going nowhere anytime soon.

2) I highly doubt it. They’re on a roll with younger, good looking people because frankly, that’s who the audience wants to watch. Not saying there aren’t attractive older people in this world because there are, but in the year 2011, in the world we live in, looks are everything. And this show casts accordingly. I don’t fault them. It’s what the audience wants. Name one show on television, reality or non-reality, where everyone in the cast is fat or ugly, or both? Can’t really do it, and that’s because America likes watching good looking people on TV. What do you think soap operas are on the air for? Their witty storylines? Please. It’s T&A. Hot guys with six packs for the women, and chicks with giant cleavage and rock hard bodies for, well, the women. Guys don’t watch daytime soaps unless they’re forced to. (“Biggest Loser” doesn’t count to my question above since that show has a purpose for casting not so attractive and overweight people).
___________________________________________________________

Steve,

Quick question – I know Graham Bauhm is on Bachelor Pad 2. He dated Chrishell Stause (an actress on All My Children for a while) I was surprised to hear he was on bachelor pad. Any ideas if he is still dating Chrishell and do you have any info on their breakup?? I have seen so many pics of them together in soap magazines.

Comment: Graham and Chrishell were on and off for a few years. She was basically the reason he did the “Bachelorette” the first time around. You know that Chrishell was one of the finalists to be the “Bachelorette” that season before they decided on DeAnna, right? Well, she was. She was also one of the reasons Graham pretty much left DeAnna’s show. However, they are not dating now, and were not dating before “Bachelor Pad”, although some recent tweets of hers that were angrily directed at him wanted you to think they were. I think someone might’ve been a tad jealous. Oh, she deleted those tweets? Figures. Looks like she came to her senses. Here’s one thing I’ll say in favor of Chrisell: She is smoking f***ing hot. However, her love life seems to be a bit dramatic if you ask me. Google her name and you’ll see what I’m talking about.
___________________________________________________________

Hey Steve!

I love reading your column because you are always honest and I always get a good laugh. My question is this:

1) What made you decide to write about the Bachelor/ette? There are so many shows out there to write about, what made you write about this one?

2) What do you think of the remaining men?

Comment: 1) Long story. Have told it on numerous occasions, most recently in an interview I did with Web Pro News. It’s on page three of these posts, last column. If you can’t find that, if you scroll down the right hand column and click the link “Interviews”, you can find stuff there too.

2) I don’t care about any of them, nor have I really cared about any of the contestants while the show is airing. Now, if I get to know them after the fact, that’s different. But while it’s airing, I do not for the life of me give a rat’s ass who wins, who would look cute together, who I think they should be with, etc. Makes no difference to me.
___________________________________________________________

You’re sarcastic, slanted, sophomoric and skewed comments and replies to your readers’ emails are truly entertaining and doggone hilarious. I freakin find you SEXY and YUMMMMMY! lol!

Comment: Lets just say that’s the first time I think I’ve ever been called “yummy” before. I need more of that. There are plenty of women out there who I find yummy, but I’ve never gotten it in return. Sweet. That’s one.
___________________________________________________________

Page 2 of 612345...Last »

1. StellaGeorge

July 15, 2011 at 9:23 AM

Too darn funny!: “Yes, pleez cum rite 4 the sight. It wood be grate 2 hav u. I think my readeers woood luv you’re wity ensight 2 Teen Mom. Cannt waite 2 hav u git starrtid.”

2. Vanilla Thunder

July 15, 2011 at 10:51 AM

“CAN I BEE A RITER” – Um, sure, if being a writer means you have no knowledge of spelling, grammar, puncuation, or sentence structure. Mmhmm.

Up until the last episode, I didn’t get why the guys have a problem with Ryan. But I think I have a better idea now. He seems just a bit different, in the way he interacts and expresses himself. Sometimes that type of perkiness can come off as phony or just plain annoying, so I get it. I hope he isn’t the next Bachelor, but I’m probably in the minority on that.

3. Vanilla Thunder

July 15, 2011 at 11:02 AM

Oops, I misspelled punctuation! Hahahahahaha…

4. JBTX

July 15, 2011 at 11:43 AM

Ok, so I get that people who write lengthy blogs are bound to have grammar mistakes here and there, but I found one of RS’s answers to the first reader email hilarious and ironic. He writes, “We should just let the dumb continue to think their smart…” First off, it’s “they’re” not “their”. We learned this in elementary school. I know I sound picky, but I find it so funny that as he sits there and insults the intelligence of other people merely for asking questions they don’t know the answers to, he himself can’t differentiate between two words. If you’re going to judge others on every single thing they do, then expect to be judged on your shortcomings.

5. Amy

July 15, 2011 at 11:53 AM

You’re yummy steve!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there’s 2

6. morrigan0

July 15, 2011 at 12:27 PM

I think that last reader email is bogus. That person is just way too stupid to be real.

7. Cndgirl

July 15, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Completely agree Vanilla Thunder (as I write this, I’m chuckling at your name..haha. good one!)

But I didn’t get the problem with Ryan either until the last episode – I didn’t see what they were seeing. I think he seems like a decent guy (and I was interested in his water heater discussion – got annoyed when they talked over his explanation) – but could understand if you are not use to that kind of personality, being around it 24 hrs a day might get a bit taxing. Even if they do think he’s a decent guy too. It’s like having a very good friend that you know you should never live with, because you’d kill each other if you did. Even though you’re good friends.

8. RhondaB

July 15, 2011 at 11:16 PM

I should definitely be sleeping at this point, but that last reader email was worth staying up for. Ridiculous. haha

9. HeidiT

July 16, 2011 at 5:06 PM

I hate when people text write it’s annoying as hell. Too many young people cannot write properly because all they do is abbreviate when they type, which doesn’t say much for their future. That last email had to come from a 14 year old, only kids like teen mom and think that people want to discuss how screwed up these kids are. It’s just sad.

Caps aren’t too bad it’s when the person capitalizes the first letter of every word, Now That’s Annoying To Read.

I have to say that this season isn’t even remotely entertaining, I hardly watch or pay attention but continue to do so to keep up with your blogs.

BTW why aren’t you on Most Eligible Dallas?

10. fluorophore

July 17, 2011 at 9:35 PM

It’s “drivel” not “dribble.” Just thought you’d like to know. Actually, you couldn’t care less. That’s cool.

11. Small_Peanut

July 18, 2011 at 10:37 AM

FYI, every week for the past year when I log into your site for the first time I get this error message below. I then have to open my task manager, delete and then reopen your site. You may want to have your “webmaster” fix this issue as I’ve heard other peeps complain about the same thing over the the past year. I don’t have this issue with any other site but yours. Thanks!

Pop up says: Congratulations! You have been qualified to receive and Apple iPad 2. You have 4 minutes to claim your prize

12. mommyof2

July 18, 2011 at 11:35 AM

I get that same Apple iPad 2 message or this Health Tips message when I get into this site as well. Very strange. I just delete it every time, but it is annoying.

13. wisewords

July 18, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Small_Peanut and mommyof2, it’s adware. Steve not only knows about it, he has no plans to “fix” it. When you click through on his advertising, he makes money. You have to set your browser settings to kill it.

On another topic, check out this picture of “Ken and Barbie” aka Brad and Emily:
    Now if that doesn’t look plastic… I wanted to move Brad’s arms and change his clothes. Ha ha

14. VibeCat

July 18, 2011 at 4:56 PM

I have to answer Steve’s question about all caps, even though he says he doesn’t read here:

Comment: The ALL CAPS thing kills me. Who still uses that when they write? Anyone over 5th grade?

My 57 year-old office-mate writes everything in our office like this. She says she loves caps, she says she thinks it looks better. She’s an idiot, and it makes her LOOK like an idiot.