Love your clolum..You really need to be writing on a comedy show somewhere.
Couple of Questions: Here Goes:
1) No offense to Ben personally, but do YOU (personally) think he can carry a show? If the answer is no, who would YOU have thought personally would have made a better bachelor? I know people were asking you after the season ended, but would you mind answering again? Again I don’t mean to be rude to Ben, but if you READ people like I do, and it sounds like you do, and quite well I will say, there was something that just never seemed genuine about Ben and the way he expressed his feelings. I don’t know if it WAS because he was so closed up emotionally prior to coming on the show, but it just seems to me THAT if you are really trying to pull someone into your world AND you are sincere about it, you are going to come across a little bit more genuine. Go back to the wedding proposal, it just seemed off..IF you are going to ask someone to marry you, I would think you would be more romantic about it and not just blurt out..WILL YOU MARRY ME.
You have to admit something just wasn’t right..With that said..(sorry as I know there are about 5 questions in this ONE) Do you think HE thought they would be engaged because again, he looked like he was just going through the motions.
2) Blake: Do these people have jobs? 🙂 I know Blake is a dentist and I could probably look this up,
but is he in private practice where he can JUST take as much time off as he wants? You have to admit doing the 2 shows back to back would take a chunk of time out of his business life. An insurance salesman..you probably wouldn’t have to ask..but a demanding profession such as dentistry leaves you curious how someone could take all that time off. I realize The Bachelor Franchise is an entertainment organization but would you admit yourself not being able to see any kind professional energy, so to speak, connected to any of these people from their real lives while doing the show? Maybe it’s a prerequisite that you leave the work stuff at home, and although MOST of these people ARE professionals you would think at least once in a while you would see their professional demeanor creeping through somewhere in their personality to identify and/or match their profession. I think the closest thing that screamed or labeled Blake as a dentist was when they showed him brushing his teeth! Is it just me, or does that make sense?
Thanks so much for your patience and your answers! 🙂
Comment: 1) Doesn’t matter if I think Ben can carry a show. He doesn’t have to. The 25 women, the dates, the drama, and the cattiness is what carries it. Not the lead. Don’t know how much clearer I could be about that. It’s why the show consistently draws between 8-10 million viewers every Monday night, no matter who the lead is. They have a formula that works, plain and simple.
2) Lets face it, we’re not dealing with any future CEO’s of Fortune 500 companies when we talk about the contestants on this show. I mean, I’m 36, college educated, have a full time job, and do quite well for myself, and I’d be able to do this show and take off 8 weeks or whatever if need be. So it is possible.
I was a little surprised by the responses of the women last night in the Nearly Wed game regarding how many dates do they think it’s okay to have sex. There were answers like 22 and 32.. that seemed high. I know some may have been kidding or not truthful (like Vienna)… so wanted to ask the resident relationship expert how many dates do you think is okay to have sex. I would say about 7. I just met a new guy and don’t want to move too fast. How many dates would you say is okay where you would still respect the woman?
Comment: 1. Do him as soon as you can before you lose him. Hey, Dr. Reality Steve has returned!
First time writing, love your blog, read it all the time.
1. When they pick a new Bachelor/Bachelorette do they go by popular choice? If so, I have read a lot online that people are not happy on Ben F being picked.
2. Do you know how much evolvement Chris harrison has with the show? All we see him on tv do is say “this is the final rose tonight” lol they show him sitting with the lead having an “intimate conversation” about their feelings from time to time. Are those conversations rewritten? Because if Ashley choose jp as the one mentally early on, all their conversations had to be written for them! Ya know?
3. Why is the ground always wet outside….. Just kidding 🙂
Comment: 1) Has been addressed ad nauseum this column already.
2) Not much. He’s not nearly as important to the show as he thinks he is. Basically just a mouthpiece, that’s all.
OK….. so, so tacky of Holly and Blake to get engaged BEFORE
taping of the finale, have the proposal conveniently recorded
so that they can show it during the finale, and somehow…..someway,
Holly just, darn, CAN’T get ahold of Michael prior to taping to
tell him in private…..? Gee, and to think I thought they rubbed
their dating in his face so much…..didn’t realize it could get worse for Michael.
I’m glad Michael won some money, but with Holly winning, it feels
like Blake won the dough as well, since he’s now engaged to her.
Hopefully, the girl has some money smarts and won’t just hand it
over to Blake, but use it for herself and her own family or maybe
even give some to charity.
I got married at age 33 and have been happily married for 15 years. Since I got
married rather “late” for a woman, I had many relationships prior, some
long-term, some not. Let me tell you something……to get engaged with
only knowing a person a couple of months is not a good thing. The odds
are NOT in your favor. Heck, you haven’t even had time to have an argument
with the person. You’re still in “gaa-gaa” land, where you feel in love and get
butterflies around the other person. But to make a marriage work, you have
to make sure you’re compatible, dealing with life’s reality. Those two certainly
have not had time for that. Could it work? Could they get married and stay
married a lifetime? Possibly, but absolutely not likely.
OK, I’m stepping down from my box now. Have a great time in Vegas,
Comment: Very good email and well thought out. You’re preaching to the choir.
Ok, so where do these girls get all these nice clothes to wear to all these rose ceremonies. It is crazy! No real girl who has a kid or has a regular job can afford to buy all those clothes or at least all the girls I know. Well I do live in Mississippi, not the fashion capital of America, if you didn’t already know but we got our own thing going on down here in the south. But anyways I digress, does the show buy these girls all those dresses. They have to! And another thing how long has Holly known Blake? That is crazy that she would marry him over Michael. He is cookie cutter cute and Michael is just so handsome and sweet! Stupid but I know how you feel about that whole situation just wanted you to know that there are people who agree with you on it. Well hope you post the email cause I really would like to know. Thanks sweetness. 🙂
Comment: You probably answered your own question when you said you were from Mississippi.
Pretty much all these girls borrow dresses from friends before leaving.
Thought I should start out by letting you know you have a reader in North Dakota! This is valuable information because I know many people actually think its in another country. And that we probably don’t have the internet yet.
Anyway, I love reading your column every week and think you make watching the Bach series SO much more enjoyable. I especially enjoy the way that you expose reality television for the fake manipulation that it really is. Which makes for great mindless entertainment for me. So Thanks.
My question is….In your opinion, do you think Graham and Michelle actually came up with that strategy on their own for the Nearlywed Game? I think the producers wanted to see their storyline develop more, told them what the game was, and planted the strategy for them to use. It would make sense! That way the producers are still controlling who gets to go on the one-on-one date, and who will make it another week. I also wonder if there was any producer manipulation involved in the fact that Michael didn’t find out about Blake & Holly’s engagement until the finale taping. Either that, or Holly really hates Michael a lot to make him find out that way.
Lastly, the Real Housewives first recap was hilarious. The best on your site other than your recaps.
Comment: You’re right. I had no idea you guys had internet capabilities there. Congrats.
I think both your points are excellent. It’s all speculation at this point because it’s impossible to prove unless Michelle and Graham admitted it publicly, but, knowing the way this show works and how much producers have a say in things behind the scenes, would it surprise me if they were tipped off to go that route with their game play in the Nearlywed Game? Absolutely not.
Blake and Holly’s engagement happened on Sunday, by Monday night, all the contestants had their phones taken away and were sequestered and not allowed to see each other. So, it didn’t give Holly a lot of time to contact Michael, but I’m sure they were told not to tell him anyway because they wanted to get a sincere reaction from the guy once he found out about it on the show. There’s no doubt.
Those in the Dallas/Ft Worth area, I’ll be on with Kidd Kraddick Monday morning to discuss the “Bachelor Pad” finale. Don’t know what time, but last month, I was on during the 8:00 hour. Send your emails to: email@example.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you Tuesday.