Dr. Reality Steve

“Reader Emails”, More Goofy Ben Pictures, and the Return of Dr. Reality Steve

A lot of “Reader Emails” to get to today. And not as many stupid questions as I figured there would be. But some definite good ones including the return of “Dr. Reality Steve”, and the dude who claims to have dated Emily last month, but has no idea how it went. That’s my favorite. Enjoy…
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve,

Your site cracks me up. It’s the most articulate, brilliant commentary I have ever seen regarding a reality show. I am a Caucasian woman, so I am not asking this question because I feel personally discriminated against. However, it is glaringly obvious that the Bachelor franchise favors White contestants. It seems unfair and racist. With so many hot interracial couples having successful relationships in the 21st century, why does the Bachelor seem like it is stuck in 1960? Are there no intelligent and attractive non-white people who would make great contestants? I know Mike Fleiss has stated that minorities just don’t submit applications, but this seems unrealistic. Do you have the real story? (I’d also like to see a lesbian Bachelorette season… or at least a bi season).

Comment: I don’t know the real reason behind this question, but I have answered it before. Whether people like it or not, most of their favorite television shows on network television are cast with white people in the lead. It’s just the way TV has always been. Sure, there are minorities on television. But there are way less in leads roles on network shows than whites, and that’s just a fact. Kinda the way things are. Doesn’t mean it’s right, just means that’s what’s always been accepted. And considering the Bachelor franchise is on season 23 right now and it’s never changed, I’m guessing it never will.
__________________________________________________________

Hey Steve! Love, love, love your column. My girlfriends and I get together every Monday to watch whatever The Bachelor franchise is throwing at us. We are seven women in our late thirties, early forties, and yes we sit around and watch like a bunch of high school girls (except we get to drink wine).

I love reading your column because you seem to agree with everything we are yelling out as we are watching the show. But I have one comment from your recap: You mentioned how Blakeley was in the corner crying. Well, I call Bull sh#%! We all agreed that she did that because she knew Ben would eventually come find her (since you know the producers pointed out the fact that she was missing to him). She just wanted more attention from him. And her crying: Bull sh#@ again! There were no signs of crying on that pretty little face! No red eyes, no smeared make up, no tear streaks through her 4 layers of foundation. It was quite an act and it looks like Ben fell for it hooker, lies, and I wanna do her!

You have clearly called Ben’s choosing strategy for this season: He is definitely making all his decisions based on which direction his penis is pointing.

Keep writing and I’ll keep reading!

Comment: Thanks for pointing that out about Blakeley. I didn’t remember the scene enough to notice she wasn’t crying, but if you say so…

And of course Ben is choosing with his penis. I think the best 5 looking girls on the show this season are in his top 6, so, I guess he and I have the same taste (which, considering our love for JLH is mutual, maybe we do).
__________________________________________________________

Am I the only person who thinks the whole Jenna behavior was staged for the benefit of her blog? She is a blogger, right? So that means that someone is actually interested in what relationship advice this nutcase is dishing. BUT….. I could tell that she was acting and alll that messed up awkward BS that was coming out of her mouth was solely for her own personal gain. So she can later make fun of the show and how stupid viewers of the show are to believe a woman would volunteer to participate in a show that was that mentally challenged? Now I will say that she was sporting a good jag on both nights of the cocktail party. I think it was a little liquid courage to calm her nerves so that she could shock us all by her completely over the top behavior. I read your interpretation of her bat s.. Crazy behavior and I agree she did pull that off. Jenna was ACTING and it was for her stupid blog. Has no one else picked up on this BS? It would have been great if the public ignored her instead of giving her the attention she craved. Thus encouraging MORE people to exploit their fifteen minutes of fame by acting ridiculous. Let’s also not ignore that despite her psychotic behavior, she really could be an attractive girl. Does she REALLY look like a girl who couldn’t get dates? Come on . That was brutal to watch her and her planned dysfunctional,paranoid, codependent comments. And the tampon comment? She thought of the grossest thing she could say to shock us. Pretty bummed to see that people could be so conned into believing that any of that was real. This is the first time I have ever commented on any website and I couldn’t figure out how to post this. Please add this to the comments so I can see if anyone else shares my opinion.

Comment: I really don’t know what Jenna’s true job is for a living but I can’t imagine it’s that blog. I’ve been on it. There’s nothing on there worth a damn. If you’re gonna have a blog that makes you income, you kinda need advertising on your site. Maybe her site is gonna take off now because of the show, who knows? I don’t fault anyone for starting a blog and trying to make money off it. Hell, that’s what I did. Just keep in mind, I’ve been at RealitySteve.com for almost 9 years now. And it took 7 years before I started making any substantial money. This doesn’t just happen overnight. Just because Jenna was on the show doesn’t mean that all the sudden her blog will have a million readers. Doesn’t work that way. This is show is cyclical. Once Emily’s season starts, Ben’s girls are yesterday’s news unless they appear on “Bachelor Pad 3.” And even THAT isn’t the smartest career move. And the more seasons they have of this franchise, the further and further they fall back into obscurity. Strike while the iron is hot ladies.
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve,

I think it’s pretty simple why Courtney is getting the “bad” edit.

It’s all about building characters for next shows. I think they always do the show thinking about the next one. Like you said the show is not about the lead but about 25 contestants. And in my opinion it’s only about final 4 (plus some crazy ones for fun). Producers want people to love their F2-3-4s who will most definitely get very good edit. So America falls in love with them and would passionately watch them on TV this season and later on. Some of these women might be the next Bachelorette (obviously after Emily) or be on the Bachelor Pad. So it’s all about good edit for F2 and F3 (especially F2) and they don’t really care for F1’s edit. People will watch it either way. But “bad” edit obviously creates more drama (meaning better ratings) – “Bad Ben chose that bitch over our sweet girl (or whatever)”. “Bad” F1 vs. “sweet” F2 is a gold mine of ratings. And let’s face it, there isn’t much drama this season, so “poor” producers had to create something even if it’s out of thin air.

BTW I don’t understand why ABC is trying to stop you. You’re doing them a great favor. I think your blog brings them more viewers. I would’ve stopped watching this train wreck many seasons ago if it wasn’t for your blog.

Comment: If they want to pit “good” vs “evil” in the final 2, which certainly seems to be the case this season, then all the power to them. I’m just saying once this is over, and Ben and Courtney are sitting on that ATFR show talking about their relationship, and how he saw her act in front of the other women, and how it almost seemed like a game to her, it just seems like he’s gonna have a hell of a lot more explaining to do than previous Bachelors.

With that said, I can pretty much guarantee you Ben doesn’t care what America thinks of Courtney. If he did, he would’ve picked Lindzi. He didn’t. I guarantee his answer will revolve around “I made my decision based on how Courtney made me feel, not how others felt about her.” You know it’s coming.
__________________________________________________________

Page 2 of 712345...Last »

1. lillithcsks

January 19, 2012 at 8:28 AM

So what is Bentley’s twitter account?

2. carol

January 19, 2012 at 10:34 AM

One of the big reasons that Emily was announced early as the next bachelorette is because applicants have to be interested in dating/marrying someone with a child. Lots of guys throw up the hand when it comes to Jiffy Family.

3. rs607

January 19, 2012 at 11:37 AM

They recasted Mary Delgado and she “won” that season – you can call their twisted sick drunken violent rel that have put her in jail twice winning.

4. rs607

January 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I forgot the most important word “IF” at the beg. of “you can call their twisted…” in the post above.

5. crumpet

January 19, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Jenna worked at Lucky magazine (not on the editorial side) until relatively recently, so yeah she’s not really a blogger.

6. caitlyn

January 20, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Steve I disagree with one comment. You call Ben a “giant goofball”. I call Ben a drunken party boy, along the lines of Charlie O’Connel and Ed Swiderski, same type of guy, will never commit to a real relationship. The booze and the parties always come before a woman for these dbags.
    Great column, this show is so boring with Apeface as the lead.

7. caitlyn

January 20, 2012 at 11:06 AM

I hope your planning on buying JP and Ashley a wedding gift and staying true to your word. I’ts gonna happen.

8. xxznat

January 20, 2012 at 12:56 PM

to the girl whos bf would buy her a ring., I suggest u ask your bf why it seems lik he is not that interested and just ok bout ur wedding.

9. karynr

January 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Drunken high school party boy. I wouldn’t even elevate him to college level.

10. JenJen

January 22, 2012 at 11:14 PM

Are you EVER going to get over the fact that no one is going to credit you as being the first source? You mention it EVERY SINGLE TIME it happens. Seriously, Steve, just get past it. Unless you really are just out for fame.

11. Dianne

January 23, 2012 at 7:05 AM

@JenJen..hun?? What are you on about?

12. Dianne

January 23, 2012 at 7:16 AM

oh gosh no!! I live in Toronto, ON, Canada, and am totally not looking forward to this:

13. locondcoco

January 23, 2012 at 12:58 PM

JenJen, completely agree. To say that “its fine with me” that those other sites dont credit him, yet to go on and on and on (and on) about how little credibility it has, etc, etc clearly shows that it is NOT fine with RS.

14. mommyof2

January 23, 2012 at 1:13 PM

I’m behind on the Bachelor episodes b/c I watched Alcatraz last Mon. Instead, but I watched the Bachelor on Sun. B/c it came on ABC in the afternoon. I cannot believe how those women reacted when Shawntel arrived. They were mean girls for sure- just so rude and vicious! I now think it would’ve been AWESOME if they had Ben’s sister, Julia, arrive instead, acting like another contestant trying to win Ben’s affections. Working undercover, she could report back to Ben what some of these girls are REALLY like. Now that would’ve been fun to watch!

15. CaliGirl

January 23, 2012 at 1:27 PM

mommyof2, I LOVE that idea! That would be kind of gross to see Ben’s sister flirt with him and vie for his affection even if she was pretending. But that still would have been entertaining. The show needs to try SOMETHING different for a change!!

16. wisewords

January 23, 2012 at 4:22 PM

I have often wondered why RS feels the need to constantly complain (ad nauseum) about readers asking him the same questions. Apparently they really bother him. And he expects us–the readers of his blog–to go back and read every entry he’s ever made so we won’t ask him a question he answered before. Really???

This business about “I won’t create an FAQ page because people wouldn’t read it anyway” is a bunch of bunk. At the very least, he could just ignore the questions. How easy is that?

Ah, but I know I am asking too much of our sophomoric Steve. Complaining and rambling on and on is all part of the RealitySteve M.O.

17. Jessica Rabbit-DFW/HHH

January 23, 2012 at 8:10 PM

why is courtney such a d-bag? and why does she keep doing that smirky sideways thing with her mouth?

18. nora j

January 23, 2012 at 10:54 PM

I still can’t believe Courtney will be the final girl. She’s a bitch and they are letting us all see it. She is worse than Vienna…actually I feel like they hid some of Vienna’s bitchiness to us cuz i actually felt sorry for her and thought Ali was the bitch that season. Anyway I haven’t seen the producers allow that kind of edit for the F1 ever…either she really isn’t the F1 or there is a first time for everything…or maybe the edit isn’t that bad but I’m biased cuz I just can’t stand Courtney’s personality.

19. nora j

January 23, 2012 at 10:57 PM

btw I knew Emily wanted to be the bachelorette. She was lying when she said she had no interest in it. She was just waiting for the hype of breaking up with Brad to die down. Subconsciously or actually consciously she knew there was a good chance she would do it but just not right after she broke up with Brad.

20. apm22

January 24, 2012 at 7:59 AM

You don’t give credit to where you got your sources so why should the magazine covers. And not everyone reads your site, by the way. Also, Mary Delgado was a contestant on two seasons of the bachelor.

21. sourpuss

January 25, 2012 at 7:24 AM

Courtney ought to be checked for a new disease called well-rehearsed Tourette’s Syndrome.

22. gege

January 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Watched Australian Tennis — Nadal reminded me of a very very handsome Ben – Nadal is MUCH smarter though!