The Bachelor 16 - Ben

The Bachelor Ben Recap Including Some Details from the Vegas Reunion and My First Live Video Blog This Thursday Night

So I’ve decided to jump on the live video blog bandwagon. I’ve caught a couple of the “Gossip with Getz” live shows that air on Tuesday nights, and decided, “Hey, that looks fun.” So here’s the deal: This Thursday night at 9PM EST/6 PST, I will do a live video blog right here on RealitySteve.com, and I plan on continuing to do them every Thursday night. I have no idea how long it’ll be for, no idea what’s in store for each show, but I’m sure Maddie will somehow be a part of it. Bear with me as I hope to get the kinks worked out in this Thursday’s first show, but it should be fun. I’ll answer some Dr. Reality Steve emails, answer questions you may have about the show, and you’ll even be able to sign into the live chat that’s going on while the show is airing to ask stuff. Will there be guests? Good question. For the first few episodes, I’m guessing no. But eventually, sure I’d like to get one other person on. When there’s 4 or 5 or 6 people on at once, the delay kicks in and it gets too cluttered for me. So check it out this Thursday night at 9PM EST/6PM PST. Still will have a regular “Reader Emails” and “Dr. Reality Steve” column Thursday, but just gonna add the live video blog that night. Looking forward to it.

The thing I’ve been asked about the most in the last 24 hours is the announcement that Chris Harrison made in Canada yesterday that there will be a “Bachelor: Canada” starting in the fall. And every email asked me the same thing: Will I be writing about and spoiling that show? The answer is no. Here’s why: The “Bachelor: Canada” is not being shown in the states. I’ll never see it. So there’s the biggest reason I won’t write about it. I just have no interest in talking about a show I know nothing about and can’t watch. If any spoilers come across my inbox, maybe I’ll share them, but I can’t imagine I’ll get too many. This is a show strictly for Canadians, and it’s airing at a time when there is no “Bachelor” season airing in the states – in the fall. I don’t believe Chris Harrison will be part of “Bachelor: Canada” because it’s being put on by a completely different production company, and he’s still got the “Bachelorette” and “Bachelor Pad” to shoot in basically March-June, which is when I’m guessing the “Bachelor: Canada” will be shooting. Sorry Canadians. If I can’t see it, there’s no point to write about it.

Now lets get to the goodies. So what happened in Vegas this weekend at the reunion. Any serious hookups? Any storylines set in motion for “Bachelor Pad 3?” I’ve gotten a few details, so here’s what I can share:

-Ali and Frank shared a lot of time together on camera. I GUARANTEE YOU that the producers will play this storyline up for more than it really was. Bottom line: Frank actually still lives with the girl he dumped Ali for on his season and I’m told he’s very happy with her. Nothing is going on between Frank and Ali, nothing happened in Vegas between Frank and Ali, but you can bet your ass they will make it seem like it did.

-Jenna from Ben’s season attended, as she was the only one of Ben’s girls who was there. And that pretty much guarantees she’ll be on “Bachelor Pad” since there is no other reason whatsoever to let her there and no one else unless she was under serious consideration. And considering what good meltdown TV she brought us, why wouldn’t they want her back?

-Reading some of the Twitter accounts and looking at pictures, some girls looked great, and others, not so much. However one consensus that I did get is that a lot of people were impressed with how Erica Rose looked. Good for her. And her gavel.

-Natalie the make out bandit was on the loose again. Who was her lucky catch? None other than Ben Castoriano from Ashley’s season. Hey, what happened to her crush on Ryan Park?

-Well, looks like Ryan spent some quality time with one of Ali’s good friends, Valisha Savage from Jake’s season. I think there’s a good chance that could be a power couple, or at least a non in-your-face couple, come “Bachelor Pad 3.”

-A lot of guys from Ashley’s season were there, and I expect we’ll see some of them cast for BP3.

-The producers were in rare form in trying to get the cattiness out of people asking some in their ITM’s: “So who here do you think looks the ugliest?”, “Who can you not stand to be around?”, and “How desperate is so-and-so trying to get on Bachelor Pad?” It’s unbelievable what they can get these people to say.

-As for some people who attended with girlfriends or boyfriends back home? Ummmm, lets just say that didn’t stop them for scoping out the scene, so to speak. Not all of them tried and not all of them succeeded, but some did.

I’ll report if I hear any more in the future, but that’s what I got for now. On to last night…

Page 1 of 612345...Last »

1. morrigan0

January 24, 2012 at 11:28 AM

I think RS clicked on the same people.com slideshow I did over the weekend.

2. Missy1982

January 24, 2012 at 11:40 AM

Natalie the “makeout bandit?” Uh, more like the “village bicycle.” No way that used goods just made out.

3. jude2010

January 24, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Courtney looks like AJ Soprano in drag.

4. tirons999

January 24, 2012 at 11:55 AM

did you also notice that Courtney’s wine changed from Red to White a couple of times during the show?

5. D-Runner

January 24, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Sorry Steve… I know you love Emily but I couldn’t side with her in this episode… Emily; if you can’t take it, don’t dish it out

6. EmJ

January 24, 2012 at 12:36 PM

Looks like you were perusing EW’s list of the 25 biggest gameshow blunders this weekend considering you put 3 of them in this blog.

Also, can’t wait for the shitshow that is the rest of this season. Is it just me or are all the women more noticeably tanked in ITM’s than ever before?

7. CaliGirl

January 24, 2012 at 1:10 PM

I agree with D-Runner. When Courtney called Emily out about talking sh*t about her, Emily should have owned up to it instead of playing dumb and acting like she didn’t know what Courtney was talking about.

8. caitlyn

January 24, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Steve, bravo! Funniest blog, we are dying laughing. You nailed the boring Geico guy perfectly. He is so lame and stupid. No wonder he thought Ashley Hebert was going to pick him. Any other guy would have seen no way that was going to happen, and like you said, he’s a complete dolt.

We loved everything you said, but these quoted, had us in tears from laughing so much.Thank you, your blog is 1000 times more exciting and fun than Apeface. However, my left shoe and right shoe are more exciting than Ben, so you’re wrong on that one.

” he has the vibrancy and excitability of my left shoe, You want to save the environment? Quit polluting our screen with your boringness.

Courtney: “I’ve lost sight of everything.”
    Ben: “Of us?”
    Courtney: “Yeah.”
    This sends Ben into panic mode. “Whoa, whoa, whoa, wait, really? Ummmmm…errrrrr…are you…Uhhhhh….dammit….errrrrr…are you ok…wow…uhhhhh…what do I do…ummmmm….errrr….can you hang on real quick?”

9. scienceqt

January 24, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Courtney looks a lot like Roma Downey, from that show Touched by an Angel. I know, ironic, huh?

10. monkeylove

January 24, 2012 at 1:32 PM

Steve, I can’t believe you didn’t mention Courtney’s “I was just there two months ago” comment when Ben told them they were going to Puerto Rico. I know they are having a blast editing this chick, but really? She’s giving them plenty to work with! Beeeyatch.

11. karynr

January 24, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Courtney has him so pw’d already. It is so blatatnly obvious his little head has already made the decision. Watching Ben is truly pathetic. I can’t believe I actually thought he was mature and somewhat intelligent during Ashley’s season.

Who is the Bachelor who had the reputation for making out with anyone and everyone? Was it that pig Bob? Well, Ben has exceeded him in being a slimeball.

Courtney is a really ugly person inside. Not only is she narcissistic and manipulative, but she is totally devoid of all emotions.

In a nutshell, they are both creepy and deserve each other.

12. twiggy1

January 24, 2012 at 1:50 PM

Steve, Why are people complaining about Courtney? Doesn’t a d-bag like Ben kinda deserve a girl like her? The season would suck if the lead and the b-ettes were both dullards! Thanks for your ramblings! You are hilarious!

13. miss4real

January 24, 2012 at 1:51 PM

I am a very mellow and laid back person, but hearing Courtney speak makes my skin crawl and watching her speak makes me want to punch my TV. Her elocution is the same as nurse Ratched from ‘One flew over the coocoo’s nest’. There’s no doubt that she is a very dark soul. She must deliberatly slow her diction down because she sounds like a calculating killer when she speaks.
    Emily gets my vote. It took courage to do what she did. She merely voiced what everyone in America was feeling!! Like her, I am losing respect for Ben too as the weeks go by and I watch him getting manipulated and played like a little puppet by Courtney. How could you chose such a dark psychopath like Courtney over such a smart and genuine person like Emily? Ben, wake up!!!!!

14. ksrsfan

January 24, 2012 at 3:34 PM

I’m becoming more and more convinced that the whole Ben/Courtney thing has been staged to bring some drama/entertainment value to what otherwise would have been a very boring season. I can’t believe ANY guy would be stupid enough to fall for her fakeness. Notice how in the promo for next wk she said something about doing this to get a guy she LIKED? Who the heck goes skinny dipping on national TV with someone they “like”? I think Fleiss told those two how to play it to make it more interesting.

15. gloria

January 24, 2012 at 4:02 PM

While they’re getting their teeth bleached or waiting to get spray tanned, ABC: hand out a tip sheet on I vs. me and when to use -ly with adverbs. Arg!

16. miss4real

January 24, 2012 at 4:21 PM

I sincerely hope that next week when Ben and The Model are skinny dipping, the ladies run down to the sand and steal their towels. And then call a few cabs and high tail it back to sanity.

17. gloria

January 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM

“Just wish the chick that said it could’ve been hotter.”

This is the kind of thing that makes me stop reading you for weeks or longer at a time. But I guess I deserve it.

18. scrantonicity

January 24, 2012 at 4:33 PM

Hilarious this week Steve. This is going to sound weird but Courtney’s mouth and teeth and how she talks reminds me exactly of Jessica Simpson. I know there’s no resemblance there otherwise, but for some reason I see JS when she talks.

19. wisewords

January 24, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Did anyone notice that Courtney told they girls that she “always” has a boyfriend, but she told Ben in a previous episode that she had not had a date in a long time. Ok, Courtney, so which is it?

20. wisewords

January 24, 2012 at 4:40 PM

*the* girls, not *they* girls…

21. bachelorette

January 24, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Ben: “I feel like you thrive in the group setting.” I totally agree that that comment was absolutely freakin’ hilarious, but to me it sounded like he were interviewing for a job. WTF? Like ALL throughout this show he’s talking about the qualifications of the women…

22. georgiegirl

January 24, 2012 at 5:13 PM

“I feel like you thrive in the group setting” sounds to me like an invitation to an orgy.

23. paulajean429

January 24, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Your analysis of this week is hilarious! I’ve got to say, this season reminds me of Jake and Vienna – sort of the same theme where all the girls in the house didn’t like her and the bachelor did, and for all the same reasons. I suspect the outcome in the end will be the same.
    As for Emily, she is way to intelligent for Ben and she needs to get out of there on get on with her life. And, I feel the same way most of the time I’m watching this show!

24. mommyof2

January 24, 2012 at 6:23 PM

Ben’s vocabulary is lacking, and he comes off as quite dumb on camera. Then , when you read his blog, these thoughts are confirmed. He IS dumb. His sentences read like they were written by a 5th grader. I know Courtney isn’t very smart either, so maybe they are good for each other. Emily is very intelligent, beautiful, kind, and NORMAL. Even Ben himself was at least with it enough to recognize that when he said that she’s smarter than him. Emily is way better off without Ben!!!

25. miss4real

January 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM

– ‘My glass is the highest’
    – ‘I was there 2 weeks ago’
    – ‘I got a rose and you didn’t’
    – ‘I don’t care what the other girls think’.
    – ‘I deserve this.’
    – ‘I’m gonna turn this group date into a one-on-one’
    – ‘I think Ben was impressed with my fishing skills’

Me, me, me, me, me, meeeeeeee.

Hey Courtney; S. H. U. T. U. P !!!!!

No one likes you. You are one UUUGLY human being, you have boils and warts on the inside. I kick my TV everytime you get a close up. Hope a jellyfish bites your ass next week. You’re ‘winning’ all right. Winning at becoming the most hated contestant in Bachelor hostory.

26. cdnangel1

January 24, 2012 at 6:56 PM

Thank you Steve for yet another hilarious re-cap! I’m with you, I’m team Emily… Courtney is an idiot! Seriously, what’s with the very outdated “winning” references… they HAVE to stop, they’re almost as annoying as her underbite/overbite.. can’t remember which one, and don’t care… it’s just annoying. Keep up the great work Steve!

27. wisewords

January 24, 2012 at 8:02 PM

It’s obvious that Courtney is much more concerned with “winning” than she is about Ben the Bachelor. Steve’s comparison of her to Russell Brand was hilarious! I knew there was a reason why I thought she needed lip waxes. She also reminds me of Salma Hayek in the movie Frida, with the big fat unibrow.

It seems that on every season of the Bachelor they cast one or two women that seem much too mature for the bachelor. I see Monica in that role. Also Emily. They deserve much better. Blakely also seems much too old for Ben, but more along the lines of the type who likes to date much older men… I’ll leave it at that.

A final thought–why don’t they make Courtney walk the bay bridge(like Emily), get dropped into holes (like Jennifer) or jump out of a helicopter (like Lindzi)? Why are the producers pampering her?

28. My3girls

January 24, 2012 at 9:04 PM

I wonder how many times Ben (or any other lead) has said “I can see myself with _______.” It noticed it a few times yesterday and cringed each time.

Courteney’s mouth when she talks and how she shrugs her shoulders when she insults someone or makes an arrogant comment is so completely annoying. Actually everything about her is annoying; she’s a heartless bitch.

I really like Emily. I think she looks and sounds like Rachel McAdams.

Which reminds me…Mean Girls. I see Casey S. as a “mean girl”. She clings to Courtney, agrees with her, kisses her ass only because she fears her. She’s a Class A follower with no mind or opinion of her own. Courtney said herself that no one knows what she is capable of so she is to be feared by all.

29. poddington

January 24, 2012 at 9:29 PM

I am calling bull$hit on that wetpaint interview (link in show summary above) with the on and off boyfriend of 7 years saying how great she was. In discussing her past on her 1:1 date, she said first she barely dates b/c no one asks her out, then later she said she dated a “lot” of jerks, “actors, photographers”. No mention of a long relationship with this guy. Some one is full of it, not sure who. I know they do a lot of editing but you can only twist someones words so much.

30. CaliGirl

January 24, 2012 at 9:59 PM

My3Girls, Emily DOES look a lot like Rachel McAdams!! I kept thinking she looked like a particular actress but couldn’t think of her name. Thank you!

I can see how some people think Courtney resembles Jessica Simpson. I think it’s the bone structure of her face and her skinny nose. That’s a huge insult to Jessica though.

Great recap as always, Steve. Thanks for the laughs!!

31. miss4real

January 24, 2012 at 10:30 PM

Freak!

32. miss4real

January 24, 2012 at 10:36 PM

I thought Monica was hillarious!! She was poised, classy and honest. SHE should’ve taken on Twitch-Face-Walks-Like-A-Horse-Courtney, instead of Emily. She couldve matched her cold stare and knocked her off her high horse. But none of these girls (except Casey S.) wanted to get in the mud with ChickenBeek. I understand they wish to rise above the crap Courntey Billboard Forehead wants to sink them into.

Courtney Robertson is most hated contestant in Bachelor history. Hands down.

33. miss4real

January 24, 2012 at 10:47 PM

So the skinny dip scene next week:
    Hope she gets swallowed by a shark.
    Hope he gets swept away to a deserted island, where a giant coconut can fall on his head and knock some badly needed sense into it. Either that or the shark can bite off his appendage and that way he can stop making decisions with it.

34. ladygazelle

January 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM

You know Steve, I think you should recognize Courtney’s unique contribution to the show: she is the ONLY thing that makes it interesting. The rest of the girls are beyond boring and add no drama whatsoever. As you yourself have admitted, no one expects any lasting love to come out of this. Why are we watching then? For cat-fighting and bitchiness. At least that’s why I watch. Without Courtney this would be like a 3rd grade slumber party. Courtney might be a psycho biotch, but she cracks me up and I love watching all the tension she creates. Not to mention her eerily contorting lips in the interviews.

I liked Emily up until this week. She was a complete p*ssy for not standing up to Courtney and looked like she was going to crap her pants when Courtney called her out on what she said to Ben. If you’re going to talk sh*t Emily, then back it up.

The other fabulous thing about Courtney: after she wins, and then proceeds to dump Ben (my bet is they don’t even make it to after the final rose), I am sure she will rip him to shreds. Can not wait!

35. pennyfarthing

January 24, 2012 at 11:15 PM

Courtney is definitely hiding something. I agree the “no boyfriends” “always have boyfriends” thing is a dead giveaway that she’s playing a game here… a game that she is REALLY good at. She’s totally an alpha male.
    I doubt their relationship will make it to the After the Final Rose too…. no way. Can’t wait for the awkward skinny dipping episode though!

36. My3girls

January 25, 2012 at 3:27 AM

That wet paint article said the chef guy is defending her because friends of her ex–Jesse Metcalf–say she only wants people who can make get famous or advance her career.
    I think her behavior is partially authentic because you probably have to be a self-absorbed psychopath to survive show business. I also think it was very much planned because she knew people would be talking about her. If she were being super sweet to everyone, she wouldn’t be getting this attention. She definitely is only looking for fame and attention. There is no such thing as bad publicity for an attention-whore.

37. HeidiT

January 25, 2012 at 6:05 AM

In all the history of me watching the Bachelor/Bachelorette series, not once has anyone made me hate them more than I do Courtney, I loathe that girl and I cannot stand listening to her for one second. I have barely watched this season but do check out your blog because it’s the only thing that’s remotely interesting about this season, I find watching difficult because I want to throw something at Courtney every time she has her ITM. She is ugly inside and it just poison’s her outside.

I could die from boredom.

38. karynr

January 25, 2012 at 6:38 AM

Reading RS and seeing all the comments is more fun than the show itself.

Love some of the comments such as “When it comes down to the final 4 and Ben has to meet Courtney’s family, he’ll be greeted at her door by Lurch, Uncle Feter, Cousin it and Morticia.” I can actually visualize that happening, It will be interesting to see what type of people raised this heartless beyotch.

I also agree with the person who said she will rip him to shreds after the break-up becomes public. Though, with her behavior, not many will take her version of the relationship/story seriously.

It’s really strange to have a season where everyone, including the girls on the show, know which way the wind is blowing, I’ve never seen the F1 so blatantly obvious this early in the season. Now we’re all just waiting for the eventual break-up and nastiness. Sad, but kind of funny.

39. sourpuss

January 25, 2012 at 7:27 AM

Courtney should have a new disease named after her, “Well-rehearsed Acquired Tourette’s Syndrome”.

40. diggaplez

January 25, 2012 at 7:29 AM

courtney spent a lot of time sucking her thumb as a child. her overbite drives me “cray cray”! RS, you rule

41. jessmarch

January 25, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Steve,

I’d love to hear your thoughts about Courtney vs Michelle Money from Brad’s season –in terms of how producers “create” a villain. Michelle was clearly the victim of bad editing (the more we’ve seen of her since The Bachelor, the more obvious it is). However, with Courtney, I cannot see any humor or redeeming quality in anything she says or does.

Truly, she appears to be a textbook sociopath. And I mean that in the clinical, diagnosable, sense: a person who entirely lacks a conscience, empathy, and the ability to care/love for others. A sociopath’s motivation is power acquisition –in this case, fame and a first place win. To that end, she charms the person in position to give her what she wants (Ben) through manipulation and deceit and the rest are disposable so they see her true colors. It’s very hard to break the spell of a sociopath when you are the target. However, as many pointed out, if this is the case, she will drop him like a hot potato once she’s done with him.

42. leppi

January 25, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Was struck by Courtney’s non-moving forehead this episode…it looked like she was trying to move her eyebrows and show expressions…but couldn’t. Botox? Maybe that’s why she looks so mean/emotionless all the time?

43. miss4real

January 25, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Could we get a little more face with that forehead?

44. donnab66

January 25, 2012 at 10:14 AM

I have lost all respect for Ben now, picking someone so brainless as Courtney, Lord. And on the Ellen show, he was totally awkward, I’m sure he wanted to defend her but couldn’t LOVE IT. wake up, you picked a winner Ben!

45. donnab66

January 25, 2012 at 10:17 AM

jessmarch, Michelle was acting, she said that and was totally believable after the show was over. This one, not so much. I think this is the real thing, and there is not editing when you sit there singing “I’ve got a roooseee” spare me, I would love to be there just to kick her ass.

46. donnab66

January 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM

diggaplez – it drives me nuts too, thankfully she is a print model and they can’t see it. its that lip or something, totally UNATTRACTIVE and gross.

47. sp212

January 25, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Courtney looks like Kendall Kardashian

48. trenegar

January 25, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I seriously hope you are wrong this season because Courtney is portrayed as a horrid person! Her insecurities should be a major clue to how Ben will have to always reassure her – not a good thing (in my opinion). I must say that the first two episodes I was not crazy about Rachel but now I think she is such a sweetie.

49. pennyfarthing

January 25, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Oh man… Just watched the Ellen clip donnab66 pointed out. SO AWKWARD. I have to say, though, the producers didn’t give him many “good match” choices this season. There are a lot of awesome girls, but I just don’t see them being a fit for him. Courtney is probably the closest because she acts more adult, and is independent, confident and spunky. So that’s why he’ll pick her. But then….he’s going to quickly realize that she’s also cruel and conceited, so it for sure won’t last long. I can’t imagine being Ben’s mom and/or sister watching Courtney play him like this…. They must be biting their tongues (or not biting their tongues) around him. YIKES.

50. debb0

January 25, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Anybody read Ben’s blog yesterday at people.com? A blogger pointed out the big contradiction that he said he asked Samantha to leave because some of the girls told him she was there for the wrong reasons but then he defended his reason to basically not listen to Emily about Courtney’s two-faced behavior. And Steve, was wondering why you didnt mention the “Big Announcement on GMA about the new B-ette? Agreed with all of you about C’s upper lip, so annoying to look at & what a big phony. She must be busy now planning all those upcoming mag covers, eh? Feel so bad for the genuine gals like Jennifer, Emily & Kacie B. Annoying season so far….