The Bachelor 16 - Ben

The Bachelor Ben Recap Including Where Was Lindzi This Weekend, Ben & Courtney’s Song For the Season & the ATFR Taping Date

First off, Happy Valentine’s Day everyone. You know what I’ll be doing tonight? Nothing. My guess is I’ll be eating Subway around 7:00, then catching up on some shows after that. Oh, and I’ll be calling in to the Guinness Book of World Records and seeing if my streak of consecutive Valentine’s Days without a date is still intact. It’s not that I haven’t had any dates in a while, I just never seem to be with anyone when this lovely holiday rolls around. I guess it’s cool. I’m sure Maddie and I will be fine alone with a bucket of treats for her and bags of candy hearts for me. She’s my Valentine this year…and every year since I’ve had her. I’m not gonna sit here and be all “Bah Humbug” about today. It is what it is. If I was with someone, they’d know it. But I’m not, so I’ll make the best of it. “Applebees, yeah, you have anything tonight around 8:00 open? Uh huh. No, that’ll be a party of one.”

Some of you like to read the tabloids and get updates on where some of these girls have been during filming. Well, the only ones of the final four who’ve been spotted out that I’ve seen show up in pictures are Courtney and Kacie. Courtney’s pics I posted last week, and Kacie seems to have a fan gathering in Nashville on Monday nights, so she’s been seen quite a bit out and about. Anybody wondering about Lindzi? She was actually in Florida this past weekend at a horse riding competition. And Nicki? Well, she was at BlackFriar Saturday night on McKinney Ave in Dallas. Was there with a group of people apparently celebrating a friends party. Ha ha…that’s funny. Did I or did I not say either last week or the week before that I hoped to see her out at Blackfriar one of these night. I wasn’t there, but plenty of others were and thought they’d pass it along. Thanks for the heads up. All the more amazing that I was supposed to be on McKinney Ave. Saturday night until some people flaked.

As I mentioned on Thursday, the “Women Tell All” is set to tape Friday, February 24th in L.A. You can now also pencil in the “After the Final Rose” taping on Sunday, March 4th, the day before the “Women Tell All” episode actually airs. I was contacted by the people over at BeautyUndercover.com and they informed they are giving away tickets to BOTH tapings this Saturday. All you have to do is go to their website on Saturday, click on this link: http://www.beautyundercover.com/2012/02/swag-alerts/surprise-swag-preview-2/, register, and you’re entered into a drawing to possibly win tickets. You can’t do it today or the rest of this week. They won’t have the registering up until Saturday, with the drawing later on in the day. So if you want a chance to go, head on over to their site and maybe you’ll get lucky.

And in case you missed any of Blakeley’s exit interview last week, or, Chris Harrison’s semi-annual mid-season conference call with the media, you can now check those out as well. I forgot that roughly halfway through every season, Chris gets on the conference call and updates everyone on what’s to come. Basically just spewing a bunch of nonsense and trying to throw people off in his answers. Just read it and you’ll see how he’s trying to throw people off the beaten path that it’s Courtney. Nice try. On to last night…

Page 1 of 612345...Last »

1. mja

February 14, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Hilarious column today! I missed the first half of last night’s show, and now feel as if I saw it.

2. punka

February 14, 2012 at 11:59 AM

OK, so the more I watch this season, the more we can see what a huge CHUMP Ben is. Total chump. Can’t see the signs in his face when Courtney goes crazy on him, nor can he when multiple girls give him fair warning. Courtney is all kinds of crazy, and not the fun kind.

She manipulates the hell out of him, and he lets her. Courtney is sad, so Ben jumps. Courtney says she needs a 1 on 1 to stay–she gets it. Courtney says that if Emily stays, no way she sees herself with Ben. Guess who leaves? I honestly think Ben was going to keep her around until he say down with Courtney before the rose ceremony. Bet she slipped out how she can;t see them together unless he stands up for her and dumps Emily now–because she would do it.

Loved it best when Emily said that she pitied the boy who gets stuck with Courtney. Except, not sure Ben deserves any pity. Dude is a grade A chump.

3. rollingeyes

February 14, 2012 at 12:20 PM

I’ve only watched about 20 mintues total of the whole season, but I’ve read every Reality Steve blog so far. That said, I can’t wait to watch the WTA to see the other women tear Courtney up, and the ATFR to see the douchebag’s reaction to what he’s seen of Courtney.

4. AJ13

February 14, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Emily is my favorite, so I can say I’m glad that Ben sent her home; in watching the two converse, it was pretty apparent to me that intellecutally speaking, Ben was far overmatched. She’s much too dynamic and intelligent for him. I’m pretty sure she’s watching these episodes thinking to herself “What was I thinking? I sure dodged a bullet.”

Also, I was really, really hoping Terry the Tarantula was poisonous. I was borderline praying for it.

5. karynr

February 14, 2012 at 12:28 PM

I can’t wait for the WTA either. I laughed my way through this one.

It’s hard working from home on Tuesdays! Lot’s of fun stuff to read, but Steve’s is, by far, the best.

6. karynr

February 14, 2012 at 12:40 PM

I don’t know which comment had me laughing the most, but the one about the death of Terry the tarantula, etc. had me LMAO!

7. mpas

February 14, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I also loved Emily’s intro line of this episode; something along the lines of “I’m here in Belize with 4 other women and a shark” LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

I bet EVERY woman who’s been sent home so far is glad she dodged that bullet. Ben was not attractive to begin with; now I find him just gross.

8. morrigan0

February 14, 2012 at 1:05 PM

I totally missed the money shot after dinner with Lindzi, but did anyone else notice the willowy blonde hair getting into ben’s face (belonging to someone else) while they were preparing to jump off of the helicopter and how they blurred far away copter shots to avoid showing whatever producer that was? Editing seemed extra bad this episode.

9. LynnMJ

February 14, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Steve, the reason viewers wouldn’t attack Kacie for her nasty comment the way they would attack Courtney is, at least for me, because we haven’t had to hear comments like that coming from Kacie all season, several times in every show. This is basically the Courtney Show. I understand why….people want drama and they get it with Courtney, I guess.

10. LynnMJ

February 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM

mpas, I couldn’t agree more. So true!

11. mh1123

February 14, 2012 at 1:35 PM

come on people.. why so much hate towards Courtney? I don’t think she’s as bad a they make her seem. Go #teamcourtney! lol

12. jude2010

February 14, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Steve – you have excellent taste in TV: “24”, “FNL, “Lost”. My 3 favs too.

Emily dodged a huge bullet. She’s way too cool to be with that d-bag.

13. karynr

February 14, 2012 at 2:07 PM

mpas…agee! He is gross. I would jump out of a helicopter if it got me away from him!

mh1123….She is as bad as they say…and show….and the media reports…people who went to high-school with her….it just goes on and on.

14. jessmarch

February 14, 2012 at 2:11 PM

“Never before in this show’s history has a woman’s clown pocket had so much control over the lead guy. Quite frankly, it’s almost embarrassing to watch.”

So true, but I wonder. Is anybody else reminded of Jake and Vienna? She was crazy, didn’t get along with others, and seemed to seduce Jake with her sex appeal above all else.

15. joancallamezzo

February 14, 2012 at 3:05 PM

It’s actually kinda hilarious how much people (including Steve) seem to have a problem with Courtney. She was basically just trolling Emily this week and it was hilarious. The way that she dramtically smelled her rose with Emily right next to her was hilarious.

And I think a big part of why the girls all hate Courtney is because they’re jealous of her connection with Ben. It’s very obvious at this point that he likes her best and the girls can probably sense it too. So I don’t take too much stock in all of them suddenly ganging up on her. Granted, I’ve only seen the 3 most recent episodes but I haven’t seen her do anything bad besides troll the girls (like when she was talking about skinny dipping) and talk to the camera about how she wants the other girls gone (which all the other girls said about Courtney anyways, so who cares?). I mean, yes, I think she’s playing a game with the other girls, and possibly with Ben. At the end of the day she says the same things about her feelings for Ben that the other girls do, so why does everyone think she’s being fake, but all the other girls are being sincere?

Bottom line, even if she’s a witch in real life, she’s the best TV and so she’s easily my favorite. All the other girls are soooo boring.

And by the way, if a guy is into a girl he should try to make her happy and doing so doesn’t make him “whipped”.

16. jada123

February 14, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Aww, that poor spider!!! Ben should have taken it as a sign! Even the poor sider couldn’t survive Courtney!

17. slaurae

February 14, 2012 at 3:59 PM

@jessmarch

I am reminded of that season, but I do not think Vienna is quite as bad. I think Vienna actually cared about Jake although she took the drama to far and I think she liked the attention and fame a little to much. Courtney on the other hand is all about winning and not because she likes Ben but because it’s a competition and she wants to see how much power she has.

18. mossygogo

February 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM

steve can you PLEASE get off Emily’s nuts! Way to ignore fancy editing work – they probably played basketball for 30-45 minutes and that was the only shot she made that looked decent. Lets also talk about Emily’s naiveté (and really, if it was any other girl you would call it stupidity) that “oh my god! THEY get to go lobster fishing!” Like it wasn’t all planned. She then comments that she loves Ben’s spontaneity. And if all that wasn’t enough to make you realize what a fool Emily is – she is on Ben’s JOCK. Give me a break this girl is lame.

Courtney: another fabulously entertaining episode. Thank you! Girl’s mama showed her she how to have pussy control. She has been playing this game soooo well. Several time when Ben goes in to kiss her, she gives him a quick kiss and then pulls away leaving Ben lusting for more. On their dinner date after his “moment of clarity” he looked like a little boy whose puppy dog was stolen right from his hands. It was seriously the saddest look I have ever seen.

A few more good liners (and odd facial expressions) from her tonight, especially once she was drunk at the rose ceremony. That evil side glance she gave Emily as she inhaled the smell of success, I mean the rose, was priceless. And then waving her off with the rose. She is actually pretty funny.

Bonus clip: Terry the tarantula. Hilarious watching Courtney pick that up like it was noting. Especially after Kacie’s black widow comments earlier.

PS – did anyone notice the clips from Courtney’s family at the hometown dates? I think her sister was the girl in Venice with her from the paparazzi photos last week.

19. hordac

February 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM

Oh my God, this had me LMAO “Ben, meet your fears. Fears, meet Ben.” Steve, that was hilarious, ha ha!!!! This guy has to be THE most manipulated man in America! I was just WAITING for Courtney to say that if he didn’t tell Emily to go home that she would leave. I don’t care HOW good he thinks the pus.. is, he MUST be embarrassed watching this back now! Wow – good luck. If anyone is interested in a death watch pool for this engagement, let me know! I cannot see this one lasting much longer, even until the ATFR. And, I maintain it will be Courtney doing the dumping. This guy is FAR too EASY and poses absolutely NO challenge to her in any way. Girls like that are not interested in men who basically eat out of the palms of their hands. She’ll get rid of him as soon as she has wringed out as much publicity as she can from it all.

20. AJ13

February 14, 2012 at 5:01 PM

Dear mossygogo and joancallamezzo,

Your Courtney worship deeply concerns me. Please seek professional help, I fear for you.

Sincerely,

Sanity

21. mossygogo

February 14, 2012 at 5:19 PM

@AJ13 It’s not worship….it’s more like appreciation. Appreciating her for good tv. I watch the bachelor for drama. I want to see these women bitching each other out like the Real Housewives of Atlanta. I want to see hollaring and screaming and tears. I’m not here cheering them on for “love” or hoping they enjoy eternal happiness. This show is a joke and anyone on it thinking they are going to find true love is a fool. As I have said before, Courtney is the only one that makes this season interesting – the rest put me to sleep. For that reason alone I am team Courtney. And once the show is over I am eagerly awaiting the shit storm that will descend on them both.

22. jbug

February 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Steve: Your recap is better than the show, as always. Favorite parts: your abbreviated version of the fairy tale, the line about Kacie pulling out a glock, and Courtney’s thought balloon. Reminded me of a T-shirt I used to have that said “People say I have ADHD but they just don’t . . . hey look, a chicken!” She acts like such a stoner. P.S. Take a tip from a professional writer: we don’t admit that we are sitting home alone on Valentine’s Day evening. We infer that we have made yet another great sacrifice for our craft.

23. jbug

February 14, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Not saying you are not a professional writer — I should have said from a “fellow writer.” Sorry. Too much rum while sitting here alone at my computer crying over ruined Valentine’s plans . . . oh, I mean making a sacrifice for my craft.

24. addicted2trainwrecks

February 14, 2012 at 6:55 PM

maybe I am the only one here that is puzzled by the final comment of the blog. You had me convinced that the tarantula actullly bit Fish face until you said the tarantula died of blood poisoning. So was that sheer snark or did she really get bitten? Serves her right if she did, too bad he didn’t too. They deserve each other.

25. wisewords

February 14, 2012 at 7:35 PM

We all have our reasons for watching this train-wreck of a show. I watch for pure fascination on what I observe and learn about human behavior. In this season, it is Courtney that stands out from the pack. I commented in a previous column how much of what comes out of her mouth is psychological projection. In other words, she tries to pin her own motives and behavior on others. So in this episode, when she made the statement that the other girls are “boring vanilla” and “self-centered”, plus numerous other off-the-wall accusations, she was actually describing herself. Her pathological personality is completely predictable.

Of course, I am equally dumbfounded that our leading man-boy is totally clueless about this. Steve says that the show is all about the cast of characters other than the lead, but I disagree! The producers have done a HORRIBLE job of casting their leading man, and lately they have gone from bad to worse. Think about what this show could be if they actually had someone interesting in the leading role!

26. AJ13

February 14, 2012 at 8:38 PM

mossygogo,

No offense, but it seems like Bad Girls Club is a show that would be more your speed…if you like Drama, screaming, fighting, and zero character development or storyline, you should give it a look. You’re welcome in advance.

27. mossygogo

February 14, 2012 at 8:44 PM

no offense taken and thanks for the “advice.” familiar with it and find it boring and too contrived. i like to watch “nice” girls duke it out.

if you want squishy, cushy, lovey-dovey why don’t you go re-watch the notebook.

28. bahurupiya

February 14, 2012 at 8:59 PM

Ben and Courtney just might beat the odds, get married, and even stay that way for a few years.

They may be a couple of the most repulsive characters we’ve seen on any show, but AS a couple, they’re hands down the best match in Bachelor history!

29. AJ13

February 14, 2012 at 10:10 PM

Oh mossy, that’s not my cup of tea either. And here’s a tip…nice girls don’t duke it out. Hence the word, ‘nice’. We all know The Bach is trying to contrive a love story in a controlled environment, that’s evident. But I don’t find Courtney entertaining at all…she’s mean-spirited, sounds like the late Anna Nicole Smith when she talks, and most of her mean-spirited one-liners are not funny at all. She needed to take lessons from Michelle Money if she was trying to play the snide, clever antagonist. It takes intelligence and delivery to be funny, neither of which Courtney has. Maybe it has to do with the fact that her behavior seems to indicate that the wine she always has in her hand is used for the sole purpose of chasing a handful of Xanax. Ahhh, models.

30. joancallamezzo

February 14, 2012 at 11:04 PM

lol @ the person who thinks I worship Courtney. I watched 3 episodes of the show and find her hilarious and good TV. I guess that translates to worship.

No offense, but you’re the one that said, “She’s much too dynamic and intelligent for him.” about Emily, a person who you’ve neither met nor know the intelligence of. The most positive thing I said about Courtney is, “Even if she’s a witch in real life, she’s the best TV and so she’s easily my favorite.” Hardly worship, but whatever.

Either way, I think it’s safe to say that everyone watching this show and has opinions, both negative and positive about people who we don’t, and never will know. And I think we can all agree that it doesn’t mean we worship them if we say positive things about them.

31. jawbreaker

February 15, 2012 at 4:43 AM

It’s a match made in heaven right down to the hair!
    Will it last…..sure…for 15 minutes!

32. roboticbrad

February 15, 2012 at 7:14 AM

Usually date #2 consists of Dave and Buster’s for me so I can see their competitive side and if they start bitching and crying when I’m kicking their ass all over the game room floor.

And you wonder why you are still single? You must not get a whole lot of 3rd dates. See someone about your arrested development….

33. deedee1

February 15, 2012 at 7:24 AM

I wanted to punch Courtney myself right through the TV when she said “seeeee ya……..wouldn’t want to beeeeee ya!” Is Ben deaf?!! He didn’t hear that hateful comment? If any of the others heard it they should have made a stink right then and said, “here’s a perfect example of the REAL Courtney….wake UP, Ben, you FOOL!!!

34. karynr

February 15, 2012 at 7:27 AM

If Ben tried to kiss me I’d jump out of a helicopter too. Maybe she was trying to get away from him:).

I see a big difference between Courtney and Vienna. Vienna seems to have a heart, but Courtney is missing both heart and soul.

35. carol1975

February 15, 2012 at 7:59 AM

@JoanCallameZZo I agree with you about the fact that if they didn’t have Courtney this season would have sucked even more.
    I don’t necessarily think she is hilarious per Se. More like she comes across as such a sociopath, it’s actually very entertaining.

36. mommyof2

February 15, 2012 at 8:11 AM

I can’t really comment onthisepisode since I only saw the last 40 minutes of it, but there’s really no point in watching it online since Steve’s recap tells me everything I missed! But, I do have to say, Steve, that I love your references to Lost and 24: my 2 favorite shows that I miss sooooo much!! I especially loved your reference to Sawyer jumping out of the helicopter (love, love, LOVE Sawyer!!) and Ben moving the island. I also love your references to Raiders of the Lost Ark. I love the first 3 Indiana Jones movies, and Raiders is my second favorite movie after Top Gun. I even wrote my HS senior paper on my hero, Indiana Jones!!!

37. liz123

February 15, 2012 at 10:43 AM

I find it interesting that Courtney continues to say (in several episodes) that she & Ben have “lost the spark”. That is something people say after being married for 10 years– not after a couple of dates. She thinks that Kacie is immature & too young to make a marriage last, but she really needs to take a look in the mirror. If she has “lost the spark” so soon, they won’t make it to last week. And I speak from experience as a woman who has been (happily) married for 10 years. Her relationships are doomed whether it they be with CavemanNeanderthalPu**yControl boy or any other dufus who thinks only with his other head. Oh man, I hope Ben feels like a fool now. I really, really do.

38. Dianne

February 15, 2012 at 10:53 AM

liz123 – I honestly think Courtney is saying she’s lost the spark to manipulate Ben. And from what I saw the other night, it worked like a charm.

39. missannmcd

February 15, 2012 at 11:25 AM

I haven’t watched but 1-2 episodes since I get it all here and Ben is just too boring. Yawn yawn yawn to all of them this season. Am just so happy “The Voice” is on the same time slot.
    I am looking forward to Emily as the B’ette though. She should make a series of Barbie movies or something after that.

40. mommyof2

February 15, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Ben’s an idiot! He’s been played the fool by Courtney in front of all of his friends, family, and the rest of us. They must be do embarrassed for him. It’s much worse than what happened to Ashley with Bentley, b/c even though he fooled her, at least she found out halfwSy through and ended up choosing JP, who seems like a really nice guy. So her redemption came in the end in front of everyone. Ashley’s got to be do relieved she fidn’t choose Ben. There is no redemption for him in the end since he actually proposes to the woman who manipulated him in front of all of us. What a fool!

41. mommyof2

February 15, 2012 at 11:30 AM

Sorry for all the typos. This iPhone’s autocorrect screws words up all the time.

42. cindy01

February 15, 2012 at 12:06 PM

I wonder sometimes if the spoiler you say that Ben ends up proposing to Courtney is true…with the way they’re showing certain things on the show and also some articles I’ve read. Plus, there was something I read that Chris Harrison said makes me think that Ben might change his mind about Courtney once he meets her family. I don’t know…it’s very hard what to believe in the media though and of course the producers want to steer you in the wrong direction so we’ll be surprised at the end when he proposes.

43. liz123

February 15, 2012 at 12:53 PM

@Dianne, I do think you’re right. She’s only saying she’s lost the spark in order to manipulate Ben. I guess I should’ve said that I can’t believe she’s saying that & he’s falling for it if he’s as ready for marriage, has as much clarity, & is “mature” as he thinks he is. It only reinforces to everyone what an idiot he is. Lucky, lucky, lucky girls that escaped this fool. They can all do so much better. Hell, *I* could do better & I’m old & have an army of kids. 😉 His poor mother & sister must be mortified that he invoked his father’s name when speaking of his future with this woman. It made *me* want to crawl under a rock from embarrassment & I don’t even like him.

44. luna

February 15, 2012 at 1:05 PM

STEVE. Seriously. OH. MY. GOD.

Bieber hair/?!!! ROFL

45. theresa

February 15, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Steve! I am new to your blog so maybe you have answered this before… But WHY does the Bachelor never air any important conversations, like around religion, faith, politics etc etc etc??? Even little clips so we know they are not all just a mile wide and an inch deep?!

46. carinacarina

February 15, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I think Courtney is passive aggresive with Ben. most the girls are like me, like me, courtney is more like, jump through hoops, prove your worthy,bark, sit, play dead….. I was so dissapointed that Ben was the bachelor because women who watch the show want to at least for a moment live through the womens eyes, it is very hard to have the fantasy of falling for this total stranger hopelessly in love when he is boring and hardly attractive. Courtney does come off a a sociopath but the comments are funny because who would really act like that? She will chew him up and spit him out when she is finished with him. See you, wouldn’t want to be you will have a new meaning for Ben!!!

47. ChristineO

February 15, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Ok first of all Courtney cannot be 4 Real! Either Ben is the biggest Chump alive, or this is ALL staged! C’mon this girl is Bat Chit crazy! I mean the kind of scary you see in horror movies crazy! and what the heck does she keep doing with her upper lip? No way or chance in hell this relationship will last!! I mean Seriously LMAO

48. jenhering

February 15, 2012 at 3:56 PM

You are on fire with this one! I bet you know somewhere deep inside you will be dating Emily one day! It would be the prefect ending to the Reality Steve fairytale. 🙂

49. acb86

February 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM

The more I watch this season, the more I actually like Courtney. I think she is hilarious and so what if none of the other girls like her? You don’t go on this show to make friends, you go for the guy and clearly that is why she is there. She is doing everything in her power to win. And yes I said win because this is only a game show. The final couple rarely stays together. Plus I totally agree with her in saying all the other girls are so boring!!!! And even though she has a very weird mouth that kinda gives me the creeps, I am Team Courtney!

50. golfncpa