Dr. Reality Steve

“Reader Emails,” WTA Taping Tomorrow, & My Favorite “Dr. Reality Steve” Question Ever Asked

I guess that’s what I get for saying the “Reader Email” bag was low on Tuesday. It was. Then a bunch started flowing in the last 48 hours and this is the most we’ve ever had, I’m sure of it. So I hope you gave yourself plenty of time to read this today. It will take you a while to get through. Some good stuff in here though. Enjoy…
________________________________________________________

Hey Reality Steve- I have a question about what the girls are allowed to do in the hotel when they aren’t out on dates. I know they can’t read newspapers or magazines, get on the internet or watch tv. Are they allowed to read books, like novels and stuff? I know most of these girls are idiots and the last book most of them read was probably Green Eggs and Ham, but I was just wondering if it was allowed because I never see any books when they are lounging around the hotels. If I was on the show (I would NEVER go on this show), I would be reading books all the time during the downtime if it was allowed, just to pass the time.

Thanks! Love your blog- keep it up!!

Comment: Nope. No books allowed. If you bring them, they’re confiscated. They don’t want you thinking about anything else while you’re there. Your sole focus 24/7 is on the lead, which is why you’re not allowed any distractions. And also why the concept of the show is completely ridiculous.
__________________________________________________________

Hey Steve,

I am being totally serious about this question. Is Ben for real? Is he really so narcissistic and dumb at the same time? Really, this guy is truly incredible combination of the two… I would say almost perfect. His level of insight is deficient he can’t see through a new glass window. The way he talks and acts, he is so into himself it sounds like he thinks he is G-d’s gift to this world (in a sense he is, he can literally be bashed endlessly and it would still be hilarious).

More important question, how many wedgies do you think he got while in sleep away camp? I would say at least 4 a week.

Comment: I do not know how many wedgies Ben used to receive at camp when he was a kid. Sorry. But it was a funny line so I thought I’d find a way to include it in the column. Thanks.
__________________________________________________________

Is it just me or is anyone else praying that the lead gets someone knocked up during filming only to be revealed on the ATFR while he’s engage to someone else? Someone should tell Mike this would really increase his ratings.

Comment: That’d be the ultimate bombshell if we ever saw one, wouldn’t it? The lead gets to the ATFR with his fiancé in arm, yet has to tell her he knocked up the girl that he dumped. Awesome. That’s straight out of a daytime soap opera. However, I doubt we would ever see that. Lets just say for instance that actually DID happen, I can guarantee you that, ummmmm, things would get taken care of behind the scenes and the story would never get out.
__________________________________________________________

Is it just me or are people sending you ridiculously long emails these days?

Comment: It honestly varies from week to week. Seems like this weeks emails are nearly as long and verbose as last week. Sometimes I need that. Since I’m always long and verbose (he heh heh heh, I said I’m long), it’s very hard (he heh heh heh heh, I said hard) to sometimes sit through a 5 paragraph email. I’ll admit it, sometimes when I open up and email and I see it’s ridiculously long, I just delete it. Yet sometimes I’ll read the whole thing and respond right away. Guess it all depends on my mood that day. Some days I’m more chatty than others.
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve,

Just curious, how do you think the viewers or media would react if, at the After the Final Rose show, Ben comes out and says that he and Courtney were engaged and happy, but that after watching the season he saw a completely different side to her and now they have parted ways?? I’m not suggesting that this will happen, or that they have even broken up — but I keep questioning how the hell he is going to defend this girl to the public, and I thought it would be interesting if he used her bad behavior (or edit) as the excuse for them ultimately breaking up or currently having problems?

Would that be the ultimate good press for him? Poor Ben got manipulated by the model, so go buy his wine…

I know this is sort of a dumb hypothetical, but I’m interested to hear your thoughts?

Comment: It’s certainly possible. I have absolutely no idea what’s going to happen at the ATFR. I don’t know what Ben is going to say to America, what he’s gonna say about Courtney’s behavior on the show, what she’s gonna say to defend herself or the skinny dipping – no freakin’ idea. But it will sure be interesting to watch.

All I know is no matter if defends her to the death, people are still gonna hate her. That’s just the way a lot of these viewers are. They don’t want to admit stupidity and being sucked in to a particular edit, or, that once they form an opinion about someone, it can never change. I haven’t agreed with a lot of what Courtney has said and done on this show, yet, I know there’s so much editing and coaching that goes on behind the scenes of this show to levels that I guarantee none of you would believe, so for that, I’m willing to hear her out.

Just like I didn’t think it was a good idea for Emily to change her mind about being the “Bachelorette,” and I still don’t, I was still interested to hear her reasoning for why she did, and it was better than I thought.
__________________________________________________________

Would you still watch the show if you didn’t have the blog along with all your fans that rely on you for information? Are you even remotely sick of it?

Comment: No. There’s only two seasons that this show has aired where I didn’t write episode recaps (Bachelor seasons 1 &2), but I never watched them, so I don’t know what it’s like to watch this show and not write about it.

Sick of it? I just look at it as a job. I can think of 25 TV shows I would rather watch than the “Bachelor,” “Bachelorette,” or “Bachelor Pad,” but none of them pay my bills, so, basically I just do what I do because I enjoy writing and I enjoyed making fun of the silliness that is this franchise.
__________________________________________________________

Hey Steve,

Love your site. Your blog is the only one out there that I read consistently. I actually started reading your blog before I started watching the show!

While I was reading the reader emails this week, I started thinking about something. The women are completely cut off from the outside world by phone, internet, etc. However, the Bachelor filming seems to occur from September to mid/late November. If major elections are held on the first Tuesday of November, are the women allowed to vote? I am curious because voting is a fundamental right and I don’t imagine that ABC could stop a woman from voting if she wanted to (I guess the key point is that she would have to want to – this could be the answer to my question as none of them seem like the type to pick up a publication that isn’t Us Weekly or the National Enquirer – except maybe Emily). But I was wondering. It seems strange to me that if a woman on the show were going to vote, that she would do so without being allowed to follow the campaigns at all. I suppose the timing of the show may also work out so that the hometown dates are filmed during the week of the election so perhaps the final four are allowed to vote at that time. I was just wondering how you think ABC might be handling this.

Thanks for all the laughs and keep up the good work!

Comment: Well, this year’s Election Day is on Tuesday November 6th. Basing it off past “Bachelor” filming schedules, they’ll be out of the country and on overnight dates on November 6th of this year, so I’d say, no, they won’t be voting. Unless they do the whole absentee thing before they leave. I can’t imagine that any of those women would do that though unless they are heavy into politics.
__________________________________________________________

Steve,

I have a few questions for you:

1. Generally how long does it take you to write the reader email’s blog and then the recap blogs for each week?

2. When you are not responding to emails, writing blogs, or watching the show, what do you do with your time?

3. I know you give out a lot of information during the off season of what is happening during filming and still post blogs, but since this is now your full time job, what do you do when there is not a show actually going on to write about?

4. Have you watched Revenge? By far my favorite show this season!

Comment: 1) About 6 hours. I usually type for 3-3.5 hours after the show Monday night, then another 3-3.5 hours on Tuesday morning. But it takes that long because I have ADD when I’m typing. I’m constantly getting emails, texts, checking sports stories, etc while I’m typing. If I committed myself to never checking any of that stuff and just sat down and wrote it straight through (like I used to do back in the day), it’d probably take me half that time. But that’ll never happen. With social media nowadays, I’m too easily distracted.

2) Contrary to popular belief, I do have a life. My daily routine is pretty monotonous. I’m in front of my computer a lot. But I get out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner pretty much every day, I walk Maddie, go to the gym, etc. I plan on doing a bit more traveling this year too hopefully. That’s my plan. Not sure where yet, but I’d like to get to different cities for the weekend, moreso than I did last year. I do plan on going to Chicago again sometime this summer. I’d also like to actually do a tropical vacation. Although, those aren’t fun by yourself. People have told me going on vacation by yourself can be fun, but, I’m not sure that’s for me. I’d rather go with someone. So I guess I’ll have to hold off on that one.

3) I will do a “Reality Roundup” column once a week when this season is over basically covering the other reality shows I’m currently watching – “Survivor,” “Celebrity Apprentice,” and “The Voice.” Plus, I plan on continuing the live video blog during the offseason and that’s when I’m hoping to start incorporating guests. Probably won’t be many “Bachelor/ette” guests, if any at all, but definitely some from other shows.

4) No. Haven’t watched Revenge. Just could never fit it in. That’s what she said.

Page 2 of 612345...Last »

1. nitegal

February 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I have only read the first page, thus far, but wanted to let you know that Shawntel Newton is supposed to be on the WTA as well. She was on her local news promoting her book that she wrote about her business and she couldn’t give to much info out about what happened when she returned since she would be on the WTA episode. She did say that most of the girls were indeed nasty to her.

2. tennesseegirl

February 23, 2012 at 10:45 AM

They can’t have a friend of the lead report back to him what’s going on in the house because there would be no drama left! He or she would likely trust that friend and get rid of the the crazy (but entertaining) people early on.

3. bigfatwoman

February 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM

To the person who wrote in telling Steve of her stupid friends who bet money with her on the outcome of Bachelor episodes…..and she continuously wins because they don’t have the sense to find Steve’s spoilers.

On behalf of those friends that you’re stealing from and making into fools week after week….here is a message to you on their behalf.

F**k off you dishonest dolt.

4. liz123

February 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM

FYI, the mason jar wine glasses are all the rage right now (no idea why) & are not all that rare. I live in Nashville, so they’re not rare at all here actually. But I have friends from all over the country who have them, so I don’t know where you’ve been hiding if you haven’t seen them. Nothing new (or Southern) in seeing Lindzi’s parents with them. Also, Lindzi’s family lives in Florida. Doesn’t everybody know that the only thing Southern about Florida is it’s geography? 😀

5. marymac

February 23, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I like those mason jar glasses. Seeing those made me want to get some.

Steve, when I click on your email me link it forces me into Outlook. Outlook sucks and I do not want to configure an account for it. Can you please put up an image of your email address?

6. morrigan0

February 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM

@marymac email is Steve@RealitySteve.com just roll your cursor over the link instead of clicking it and it shows up on bottom left of window.

DrRS fav email seems like a fake. Titanic was in theatres when I was in HS over 20 years ago and I seriously doubt it’s a trend for current kids EVEN considering the anniversary hype.

7. DawsMA

February 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Morrigan0 I agree with you, and also call fake on the girl saying she makes money off her friends for betting on the rejects. No way would her friends continue forking over money when even most viewers who don’t want to know the spoilers know that they at least exist. Duh.

8. dketch

February 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Sorry @morrigan0… Titanic came out in 1997 which means it’s only been 15 years, not “over 20”, but you’re right about HS kids now probably not knowing much or caring about it.

9. BrookeForester

February 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM

If the letter was really from a girl who is in high school, it proves a point. You get really rude about questions being asked that you’ve answered several times before. First off, I am assuming that one of your goals by having this blog is that you would like to continually increase your number of readers. Second, if someone in high school is writing you, you can assume they were around five years old when the Bachelor first began, so I highly doubt they would have come on here until now, and therefore, would have no idea that you had previously answered any of these questions. There is no way, if I was a new reader here, I would have the time or the desire to go read pages, and pages, and pages of previous seasons’ recaps, and then remember all the questions and answers. Please be just a little bit humble and be thankful that you have new readers who are taking the time to read your blogs and ask you questions. When I read a question that has been asked and answered here several times, I remember that that is the price you pay for having an entertaining blog that new people are constantly checking out.

10. locondcoco

February 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM

RS obviously failed “how to tell time” in grade school. His goal is to post by noon, CST. If he lived in a state in EST, well, then he would likely want to post by noon EST, meaning it would be an hour earlier in EVERY OTHER TIME ZONE west of it.

11. jenhering

February 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I don’t think most people don’t ask you (Steve) all these questions about The Bachelor because we are dying to know the answer — I think it is because you are a cool and charasmatic guy who is thoroughly entertaining! I find your posts and blogs well written and entertaining. For me, watching this show is a couple of hours of falling back into the couch, kids alseep and just not having to think of anything and just plain giggle at the show; and then on Thursday hear what you have to say on the web cast! I think it is awesome you have such success and make a living doing this!

12. stina2bina

February 23, 2012 at 11:04 PM

LOL at the last Dr. Reality Steve question… I hate to say it but when I was 17, my “camp boyfriend” (yes, I had one of those), recreated that Titanic scene with me too :p

13. Dianne

February 24, 2012 at 6:30 AM

I really detest all the people that come onto Steve’s blog just to bash him. Look, if you don’t like what Steve puts down, then please, do us a favour and a) don’t read his posts, and b) keep your rude comments to yourself.

14. locondcoco

February 24, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Dianne, I’m going to assume i’m included in the people you detest. But i’m totally one who believes that “if you can dish it, then you should be able to take it”. He responds to the email i’m referencing by giving the emailer a lesson in time zones. but he’s totally missing the point of the email and what the person was saying. he constantly says how stupid people can be, and how stupid the questions he gets are sometimes. well, sometimes, he is no different. Besides, RS has said on many occasions that he does not read these comments (which i still have a hard time believing).

15. locondcoco

February 24, 2012 at 7:57 AM

oh, but dont get me wrong, for the most part i’m a huge fan and appreciate all the info he provides. i just wish he could do it without the arrogant attitude, espeically towards his readers.

16. Dianne

February 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM

locondcoco, Steve is Steve, and he’s not going to change. Get used to it. If he wants to be snarky in his e-mail replies, then that’s his prerogative. This is HIS blog, not yours, mine, or anyone elses. If people want to ask dumb questions (in Steve’s mind), then they can expect the type of answers they receive from him.

17. liz123

February 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM

You are absolutely right, Dianne, one may do whatever they wish on their own blog. But when you strive for readers & then achieve that goal, you have to expect some of those readers to have opinions. When you respond to readers that you’ve gone to great efforts to obtain in snarky ways & explain why they aren’t very smart (times zone email) & your explanation is wrong & misses their entire point then you have to expect a little snark in return. KWIM? It’s the same as if I made a comment pointing out that you spelled a word wrong only to spell a word wrong myself. I can be a little snarky myself & I know that if I’m going to be that way I better check & double check myself & have a pretty thick skin. I’m guessing that RS also feels that way. The snarky of the world know how to take it & RS is definitely one of the great snarks of the world.

18. Grace80

February 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I can’t address the validity of the e-mail, but I do teach/coach high school girls and believe me, these girls know and watch the Titanic. It’s not like girls stop watching romantic movies if the movie isn’t a new release.

19. sunny1

February 24, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I generally don’t read the reader emails but since you stated your ‘favorite’ reader email of all time was in this blog, I thought I would check it out.

I was appalled that you responded that way to a junior in high school. Seriously Steve? This girl is heartbroken, probably for the first time and she just wants to understand what happened and especially why someone would break up with her over a text.
    I think your response made her feel even WORSE than she was. I hope she never emails you again. Seriously dude?! You think it is ‘funny, bizarre’ ?! You made her feel like a weirdo for having a boyfriend who reenacted a scene from Titanic with her which at that age could be romantic in the right setting. So now, the poor dear, who was just hurt and confused, now feels like a weirdo and an idiot, thanks to you. Oh yeah, all high school kids, write to Steve for your romantic dilemmas.

Steve, I rarely write here, but if you are writing to an adult that is a different thing. Children, yes, high school kids are still children, are a whole different ballgame. Their hearts are easily shattered and hurt and fragile. You have to remind yourself of that before you respond to them the way you do to adults.

You are being vulnerable on this site too with complete strangers, everyone knows you are single and you wish you weren’t ( I understand the loneliness, I am 38 and single too), but how would you feel if someone responded with those comments when you were being vulnerable with them? I am actually pretty pissed off – I hope you read this and realize that you need to be kinder and gentler with children. Sensitivity would not be a bad thing to invite when writing to young adults.

20. ishouldbeembarrassed

February 25, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Steve, I have always enjoyed your sense of humor, but my respect for you grew a notch when you wrote about the skinny dipping episode, and how Ben didn’t seem to remember he was dating other women and that was a disrespectful act towards them. Thank you, thank you.

Courtney has been nothing but disrespectful of Ben, of the other women, of the process and of the seriousness of marriage. I know, I know, this is just TV, but when she can’t even look Ben in the eye, when she has to hedge her remarks about her feelings towards him, she’s not only a bad actress, she’s a bad liar, and it’s unbelievable that she can be taken seriously. Yeah, I want a lifetime partner who tries to find every reason to take her clothes off on national television. My children will have such a great role model!!

And I like Ben. I’m sorry he’s getting so much grief, but the West Coast is different from the rest of the country and he’s not a mophead where he’s from. Why is everyone on about Ben’s hair, when the women can’t stop pulling their hair out of their eyes? ugh. Growing grapes and making wine is a really complicated endeavor that requires real dedication, planning ahead, understanding lots of science, dealing with the public, and is well respected in his part of the country. He’s in one of the most competitive businesses in the state. He’s got it together, he knows what he loves and he’s good at it. How many men do we know who fit that description?

All I can say, Ben, is prenup, prenup, prenup.

And, Steve, I wasn’t even going to bother with this season, but reading your columns make it a lot more interesting!

21. angelamh66

February 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM

@ishouldbeembarrassed … all of that may be true of a real winemaker but trust me, Benny Boy is not involved in this business like that. He is nothing more than a shareholder. It is not his know-how that drives that business.

22. annabelle555

February 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

We’ve got the “Cajun Wine Glasses” here in Louisiana also. It’s the latest trend for some unknown reason. Red solo cups work just as well!
    Also, I thought I read on the site earlier this week that Courtney will be at the WTA, but I’m not seeing it now. Anyone know anything about that situation?

23. mommyof2

February 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM

@ annabelle555 I think what you saw is the link to WetPaint that Steve posted on his RealitySteve Fan FB page. I guess he didn’t post it on his website since it’s not here. I’m glad Courtney’s suppose to be at the WTA taping. Now it should be somewhat interesting…

24. rbmom123

February 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Why do you answer some of the questions so seriously? Can you not tell that people are trying to be funny?!

25. nikkineel

February 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Is it just me or is this the lamest season of the Bachelor ever? The producers really need to go back to the drawing room.

26. nikkineel

February 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I cannot say enough about how LACKLUSTER these ladies have been!!! I mean Kacie B and the eating disorder…really? this is not an after school special.

27. nikkineel

February 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I feel like the producers are determined to sabotage their show because they are taking out the stuff we love. The people are the key to the show and these characters have not been well cast.

28. nikkineel

February 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Ben is dull and he is awkward and immature. He is trying way too hard and its obvious he will choose the victoria secret model because hes never been cool enough to get a model.

29. ishouldbeembarrassed

February 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Sorry, Steve, not trying to promote his book. I was just trying to find info that said what he really did do in his business, since others are trashing him at regular intervals 🙂 I definitely would be torn if I had you and Ben at my last rose ceremony *hugs*