Dr. Reality Steve

“Reader Emails,” WTA Taping Tomorrow, & My Favorite “Dr. Reality Steve” Question Ever Asked

I accidentally watched the first episode of Ashley’s season because my son was taking his sweet ass time getting his stuff together at a friends house. I missed the part about what Bentley had done so I googled spoilers and found your stupid site. Then of course I read everything you had to say and couldn’t stop watching the whole damn show to be able to read your comments after. Now I’m watching this season too. UGGGHHHHH.

My complaint is that you should move to a state that is on EST so that you post earlier the day after the show because my Tuesday mornings drag while I wait to read your recaps. It makes me irritated.

Thanks a lot for being an addiction enabler.

Comment: Couple things here: You do realize that I’m on CST and I watch it the same time as you do, right? Maybe some of you know this, maybe you don’t, but people in CST watch everything at the exact same time people in EST do. Everything. It’s the people in MST and PST that watch later. It airs from 7-9 for me on Monday nights. 8-10 in EST. That means that the show is over a full hour before PST even starts watching the show. Glad I can give you an education on that.

What time zone I watch the show in has no bearing on how early the column goes up. It goes up when I’m done writing it. And I’d say for all 8 columns this season, it has posted between noon – 1:30 CST every Tuesday, give or take 10 or 15 minutes. My goal every week is to have it up by noon CST.
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve!

I have never written before but I want in on the action! First of all LOVE your new webshow! I hope you will be doing it every week now even for Bachelor Pad?

1. Why was Wes villified for being on the Bachelor for promoting his music, when now it’s blatant that people are there for self promotion? Ben, with his winery promotion, Courtney discussing her modeling ten times an episode, and Jenna even got to show her blog URL! Yet it was so bad that Wes played a song and mentioned his number one hit in Mexico? It just seems like times have changed and that now it’s suddenly okay to self-promote- what’s up with that?

2. Are those REAL emails that you put in your mailbag? I mean, seriously? Some of those questions are so stupid I don’t understand how people can be that dumb and stuff work email. Are you sure they aren’t just jokes? I doubt YOU make them up but they just seem too stupid to be legitimate! Have you been asked those things in life too; I guess I am asking, are people seriously THAT moronic?

3. Have you seen the webshow Gossip With Getz? Did you notice that every week they have technical difficulties, Mike Stag comes on silent and can’t work his webcam, and they have really annoying delays and echos which they haven’t sorted out. Not to be mean but, do you think some of the Bachelor castoffs aren’t the brightest bulbs? They seem kind of dumb, just wondering what your experience was- I know you will tell it like it is! Its fine to have ONE technical difficulty but every week for weeks and weeks? Just saying, I don’t think maybe any of them are the brightest?

Comment: 1. You answered your own question. Times have changed. Not only is this a different show now than it was way back when it started. But it’s just as different now than it was during Jillian’s season. It’s about tabloid coverage, it’s about social media, and it’s about people wanting to be on for their 15 minutes.

2. Yes. Every email in here is real. I couldn’t make some of this stuff up if I tried.

3. Yes, I try to catch some of it every week if I’m around. The technical difficulties do suck. Hell, I had them last week when I tried to bring Jen on. We’ll try again tonight. I think I know the problem, but, even with us wearing headphones, there is a second or so delay. So lets say I ask Jen a question, by the time she hears the end of my question in her headphones, it’s about 1-1.5 seconds later than when it ended coming out of my mouth. And if I’m just pausing, and she thinks I’m done talking when I’m not, then we’re gonna end up talking over each other and that gets annoying. We’ll try again tonight. Maybe I’ll make a rule tonight with Jen that each of us has to say “Done” when we are done talking…ha ha.

It’s why I’ve been reluctant to have guests on. That delay, and people starting talking because they think someone’s finished when they aren’t drives me absolutely bonkers. So if/when I do have guests, it will only be one. It’s one giant clusterf**k with more than one person on.
__________________________________________________________

What I don’t understand is if Lindzie was living with her boyfriend, what’s the point of getting dumped by text? Wouldn’t he still have to face her when he/she moved out? So bizarre..

Comment: That question was asked to me multiple times this week. And here’s my answer: I’m aware of the origin of that text message, why it was sent, how it was sent, and when it was sent. All I’m at liberty to say is that, yes, that text was actually real. Sort of. Sorry. That’s all I can say.
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve, I love your column. I always look forward to reading on Tuesdays and love pissing off my best friend by telling her spoilers.

Anyways, I was just wondering about the time frame of the hometown dates. I remember you saying a season or two ago that the girls only get to see their family while they’re with the lead, and the other time they are with a handler. So are they really sitting in a hotel room for the 5 or 6 days that aren’t the rose ceremony or their actual date? And are they whisked away in an SUV right after the hometown date like Ben is? I remember last night seeing Kacie say she was going to come back inside to talk to her parents. Is the purpose of this so that their families can’t influence them without Ben being around? Also, does Ben fly in and fly out the same day?

Comment: Yes, they’re in a hotel room in LA actually (all four girls are separated in 4 different hotels). Except Brad’s season, the girls were separated in four NY hotels while hometowns were going on. You sit in your hotel room all day, you hang out with your handler, go shopping, go to the gym, go to a movie, etc until it’s time for your hometown date. You fly home, you’re put up in a hotel room, they set up your date, you meet the lead, do whatever is you do with them, you go meet your family, then once the date is over, you go back to your hotel that night, and are on a plane the next morning back to LA to sit and wait until it’s time for the rose ceremony.

And yes, the lead flies in either that day, or the night before. I think it’s the night before, go to a hotel, then meet them the next morning. Pretty secretive stuff.
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve!

I love your blog — thanks for continuing to provide us Bachaholics with the juicy details of each season.

So here’s my question: I’ve noticed that all of the Bachelors from the last three seasons (Ben, Brad, and Jake) have consistently referred to the contestants, unfailingly, as “women” rather than as “girls.” Don’t get me wrong, I think this is great: it’s refreshing to hear grown men refer to grown women as, you know, women, and not girls. But it still strikes me as a bit odd because, in my experience, most dudes of that age (late 20s-early 30s) tend to refer to women of their age as “girls.” Is this some sort of ABC policy in the name of political correctness/feminism or are all of these guys just really enlightened?

Comment: I don’t think it’s a policy at all. And I know sometimes those guys refer to them as girls, don’t they? Every single time they’ve said “woman/women?” Whatever the case, I know I’ve used both in my column. I’ll even use “woman” in one paragraph and the next paragraph say “girl.” And I have no idea why.
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve-

Do you ever get nervous watching the show because you hope your spoilers are right (even though they are)? Do you ever go back to your spoilers while watching the show and say, “did I write that right?”

Comment: No. I know they’re right, so I’m never worried.
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve!

I have a quick question regarding Courtney (don’t we all)… did you know beforehand that she would stir up trouble?

Comment: Nope. No idea. The first hint of it was when they showed the first promo and they seemed to focus on the fact that she was the villain and the one skinny dipping. At that point, I kinda saw where her edit was headed. Before that, I had no idea.
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve and Maddie!!

Do you think Chris Harrison likes his job? He seems kind of grumpy and doesn’t really do much other than collect a paycheck.

Comment: He better like his job and he better be on his knees thanking whoever he prays to that he gets paid a good amount of money to do essentially nothing.
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve,

Love your site! Love the recaps! keep up the good work.

Quick question. I noticed that the ladies are always in sunny destinations, by the pool, on yachts and so on. I’m sure they’re responsible enough to wear sunscreen but I have a feeling that they’re being looked after in that regard. I have never in all the years, witnessed anyone sunburnt or peeling. I guess that would not make for good tv 🙂 or maybe it happened once and they learned not to let it happen again. Do you ever remember anyone with a sunburn?

Comment: No, I don’t. My guess is they’re allowed to wear sunscreen because you’re right, people would get burnt. Probably another reason why they don’t let them wear sunglasses during 1-on-1 time is so they don’t get raccoon eyes.

Page 4 of 6« First...23456

1. nitegal

February 23, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I have only read the first page, thus far, but wanted to let you know that Shawntel Newton is supposed to be on the WTA as well. She was on her local news promoting her book that she wrote about her business and she couldn’t give to much info out about what happened when she returned since she would be on the WTA episode. She did say that most of the girls were indeed nasty to her.

2. tennesseegirl

February 23, 2012 at 10:45 AM

They can’t have a friend of the lead report back to him what’s going on in the house because there would be no drama left! He or she would likely trust that friend and get rid of the the crazy (but entertaining) people early on.

3. bigfatwoman

February 23, 2012 at 11:06 AM

To the person who wrote in telling Steve of her stupid friends who bet money with her on the outcome of Bachelor episodes…..and she continuously wins because they don’t have the sense to find Steve’s spoilers.

On behalf of those friends that you’re stealing from and making into fools week after week….here is a message to you on their behalf.

F**k off you dishonest dolt.

4. liz123

February 23, 2012 at 11:11 AM

FYI, the mason jar wine glasses are all the rage right now (no idea why) & are not all that rare. I live in Nashville, so they’re not rare at all here actually. But I have friends from all over the country who have them, so I don’t know where you’ve been hiding if you haven’t seen them. Nothing new (or Southern) in seeing Lindzi’s parents with them. Also, Lindzi’s family lives in Florida. Doesn’t everybody know that the only thing Southern about Florida is it’s geography? 😀

5. marymac

February 23, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I like those mason jar glasses. Seeing those made me want to get some.

Steve, when I click on your email me link it forces me into Outlook. Outlook sucks and I do not want to configure an account for it. Can you please put up an image of your email address?

6. morrigan0

February 23, 2012 at 12:20 PM

@marymac email is Steve@RealitySteve.com just roll your cursor over the link instead of clicking it and it shows up on bottom left of window.

DrRS fav email seems like a fake. Titanic was in theatres when I was in HS over 20 years ago and I seriously doubt it’s a trend for current kids EVEN considering the anniversary hype.

7. DawsMA

February 23, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Morrigan0 I agree with you, and also call fake on the girl saying she makes money off her friends for betting on the rejects. No way would her friends continue forking over money when even most viewers who don’t want to know the spoilers know that they at least exist. Duh.

8. dketch

February 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Sorry @morrigan0… Titanic came out in 1997 which means it’s only been 15 years, not “over 20”, but you’re right about HS kids now probably not knowing much or caring about it.

9. BrookeForester

February 23, 2012 at 1:55 PM

If the letter was really from a girl who is in high school, it proves a point. You get really rude about questions being asked that you’ve answered several times before. First off, I am assuming that one of your goals by having this blog is that you would like to continually increase your number of readers. Second, if someone in high school is writing you, you can assume they were around five years old when the Bachelor first began, so I highly doubt they would have come on here until now, and therefore, would have no idea that you had previously answered any of these questions. There is no way, if I was a new reader here, I would have the time or the desire to go read pages, and pages, and pages of previous seasons’ recaps, and then remember all the questions and answers. Please be just a little bit humble and be thankful that you have new readers who are taking the time to read your blogs and ask you questions. When I read a question that has been asked and answered here several times, I remember that that is the price you pay for having an entertaining blog that new people are constantly checking out.

10. locondcoco

February 23, 2012 at 2:18 PM

RS obviously failed “how to tell time” in grade school. His goal is to post by noon, CST. If he lived in a state in EST, well, then he would likely want to post by noon EST, meaning it would be an hour earlier in EVERY OTHER TIME ZONE west of it.

11. jenhering

February 23, 2012 at 4:54 PM

I don’t think most people don’t ask you (Steve) all these questions about The Bachelor because we are dying to know the answer — I think it is because you are a cool and charasmatic guy who is thoroughly entertaining! I find your posts and blogs well written and entertaining. For me, watching this show is a couple of hours of falling back into the couch, kids alseep and just not having to think of anything and just plain giggle at the show; and then on Thursday hear what you have to say on the web cast! I think it is awesome you have such success and make a living doing this!

12. stina2bina

February 23, 2012 at 11:04 PM

LOL at the last Dr. Reality Steve question… I hate to say it but when I was 17, my “camp boyfriend” (yes, I had one of those), recreated that Titanic scene with me too :p

13. Dianne

February 24, 2012 at 6:30 AM

I really detest all the people that come onto Steve’s blog just to bash him. Look, if you don’t like what Steve puts down, then please, do us a favour and a) don’t read his posts, and b) keep your rude comments to yourself.

14. locondcoco

February 24, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Dianne, I’m going to assume i’m included in the people you detest. But i’m totally one who believes that “if you can dish it, then you should be able to take it”. He responds to the email i’m referencing by giving the emailer a lesson in time zones. but he’s totally missing the point of the email and what the person was saying. he constantly says how stupid people can be, and how stupid the questions he gets are sometimes. well, sometimes, he is no different. Besides, RS has said on many occasions that he does not read these comments (which i still have a hard time believing).

15. locondcoco

February 24, 2012 at 7:57 AM

oh, but dont get me wrong, for the most part i’m a huge fan and appreciate all the info he provides. i just wish he could do it without the arrogant attitude, espeically towards his readers.

16. Dianne

February 24, 2012 at 8:00 AM

locondcoco, Steve is Steve, and he’s not going to change. Get used to it. If he wants to be snarky in his e-mail replies, then that’s his prerogative. This is HIS blog, not yours, mine, or anyone elses. If people want to ask dumb questions (in Steve’s mind), then they can expect the type of answers they receive from him.

17. liz123

February 24, 2012 at 10:57 AM

You are absolutely right, Dianne, one may do whatever they wish on their own blog. But when you strive for readers & then achieve that goal, you have to expect some of those readers to have opinions. When you respond to readers that you’ve gone to great efforts to obtain in snarky ways & explain why they aren’t very smart (times zone email) & your explanation is wrong & misses their entire point then you have to expect a little snark in return. KWIM? It’s the same as if I made a comment pointing out that you spelled a word wrong only to spell a word wrong myself. I can be a little snarky myself & I know that if I’m going to be that way I better check & double check myself & have a pretty thick skin. I’m guessing that RS also feels that way. The snarky of the world know how to take it & RS is definitely one of the great snarks of the world.

18. Grace80

February 24, 2012 at 4:30 PM

I can’t address the validity of the e-mail, but I do teach/coach high school girls and believe me, these girls know and watch the Titanic. It’s not like girls stop watching romantic movies if the movie isn’t a new release.

19. sunny1

February 24, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I generally don’t read the reader emails but since you stated your ‘favorite’ reader email of all time was in this blog, I thought I would check it out.

I was appalled that you responded that way to a junior in high school. Seriously Steve? This girl is heartbroken, probably for the first time and she just wants to understand what happened and especially why someone would break up with her over a text.
    I think your response made her feel even WORSE than she was. I hope she never emails you again. Seriously dude?! You think it is ‘funny, bizarre’ ?! You made her feel like a weirdo for having a boyfriend who reenacted a scene from Titanic with her which at that age could be romantic in the right setting. So now, the poor dear, who was just hurt and confused, now feels like a weirdo and an idiot, thanks to you. Oh yeah, all high school kids, write to Steve for your romantic dilemmas.

Steve, I rarely write here, but if you are writing to an adult that is a different thing. Children, yes, high school kids are still children, are a whole different ballgame. Their hearts are easily shattered and hurt and fragile. You have to remind yourself of that before you respond to them the way you do to adults.

You are being vulnerable on this site too with complete strangers, everyone knows you are single and you wish you weren’t ( I understand the loneliness, I am 38 and single too), but how would you feel if someone responded with those comments when you were being vulnerable with them? I am actually pretty pissed off – I hope you read this and realize that you need to be kinder and gentler with children. Sensitivity would not be a bad thing to invite when writing to young adults.

20. ishouldbeembarrassed

February 25, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Steve, I have always enjoyed your sense of humor, but my respect for you grew a notch when you wrote about the skinny dipping episode, and how Ben didn’t seem to remember he was dating other women and that was a disrespectful act towards them. Thank you, thank you.

Courtney has been nothing but disrespectful of Ben, of the other women, of the process and of the seriousness of marriage. I know, I know, this is just TV, but when she can’t even look Ben in the eye, when she has to hedge her remarks about her feelings towards him, she’s not only a bad actress, she’s a bad liar, and it’s unbelievable that she can be taken seriously. Yeah, I want a lifetime partner who tries to find every reason to take her clothes off on national television. My children will have such a great role model!!

And I like Ben. I’m sorry he’s getting so much grief, but the West Coast is different from the rest of the country and he’s not a mophead where he’s from. Why is everyone on about Ben’s hair, when the women can’t stop pulling their hair out of their eyes? ugh. Growing grapes and making wine is a really complicated endeavor that requires real dedication, planning ahead, understanding lots of science, dealing with the public, and is well respected in his part of the country. He’s in one of the most competitive businesses in the state. He’s got it together, he knows what he loves and he’s good at it. How many men do we know who fit that description?

All I can say, Ben, is prenup, prenup, prenup.

And, Steve, I wasn’t even going to bother with this season, but reading your columns make it a lot more interesting!

21. angelamh66

February 25, 2012 at 11:48 AM

@ishouldbeembarrassed … all of that may be true of a real winemaker but trust me, Benny Boy is not involved in this business like that. He is nothing more than a shareholder. It is not his know-how that drives that business.

22. annabelle555

February 26, 2012 at 10:58 AM

We’ve got the “Cajun Wine Glasses” here in Louisiana also. It’s the latest trend for some unknown reason. Red solo cups work just as well!
    Also, I thought I read on the site earlier this week that Courtney will be at the WTA, but I’m not seeing it now. Anyone know anything about that situation?

23. mommyof2

February 26, 2012 at 12:27 PM

@ annabelle555 I think what you saw is the link to WetPaint that Steve posted on his RealitySteve Fan FB page. I guess he didn’t post it on his website since it’s not here. I’m glad Courtney’s suppose to be at the WTA taping. Now it should be somewhat interesting…

24. rbmom123

February 26, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Why do you answer some of the questions so seriously? Can you not tell that people are trying to be funny?!

25. nikkineel

February 27, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Is it just me or is this the lamest season of the Bachelor ever? The producers really need to go back to the drawing room.

26. nikkineel

February 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I cannot say enough about how LACKLUSTER these ladies have been!!! I mean Kacie B and the eating disorder…really? this is not an after school special.

27. nikkineel

February 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM

I feel like the producers are determined to sabotage their show because they are taking out the stuff we love. The people are the key to the show and these characters have not been well cast.

28. nikkineel

February 27, 2012 at 4:58 PM

Ben is dull and he is awkward and immature. He is trying way too hard and its obvious he will choose the victoria secret model because hes never been cool enough to get a model.

29. ishouldbeembarrassed

February 29, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Sorry, Steve, not trying to promote his book. I was just trying to find info that said what he really did do in his business, since others are trashing him at regular intervals 🙂 I definitely would be torn if I had you and Ben at my last rose ceremony *hugs*