I accidentally watched the first episode of Ashley’s season because my son was taking his sweet ass time getting his stuff together at a friends house. I missed the part about what Bentley had done so I googled spoilers and found your stupid site. Then of course I read everything you had to say and couldn’t stop watching the whole damn show to be able to read your comments after. Now I’m watching this season too. UGGGHHHHH.
My complaint is that you should move to a state that is on EST so that you post earlier the day after the show because my Tuesday mornings drag while I wait to read your recaps. It makes me irritated.
Thanks a lot for being an addiction enabler.
Comment: Couple things here: You do realize that I’m on CST and I watch it the same time as you do, right? Maybe some of you know this, maybe you don’t, but people in CST watch everything at the exact same time people in EST do. Everything. It’s the people in MST and PST that watch later. It airs from 7-9 for me on Monday nights. 8-10 in EST. That means that the show is over a full hour before PST even starts watching the show. Glad I can give you an education on that.
What time zone I watch the show in has no bearing on how early the column goes up. It goes up when I’m done writing it. And I’d say for all 8 columns this season, it has posted between noon – 1:30 CST every Tuesday, give or take 10 or 15 minutes. My goal every week is to have it up by noon CST.
I have never written before but I want in on the action! First of all LOVE your new webshow! I hope you will be doing it every week now even for Bachelor Pad?
1. Why was Wes villified for being on the Bachelor for promoting his music, when now it’s blatant that people are there for self promotion? Ben, with his winery promotion, Courtney discussing her modeling ten times an episode, and Jenna even got to show her blog URL! Yet it was so bad that Wes played a song and mentioned his number one hit in Mexico? It just seems like times have changed and that now it’s suddenly okay to self-promote- what’s up with that?
2. Are those REAL emails that you put in your mailbag? I mean, seriously? Some of those questions are so stupid I don’t understand how people can be that dumb and stuff work email. Are you sure they aren’t just jokes? I doubt YOU make them up but they just seem too stupid to be legitimate! Have you been asked those things in life too; I guess I am asking, are people seriously THAT moronic?
3. Have you seen the webshow Gossip With Getz? Did you notice that every week they have technical difficulties, Mike Stag comes on silent and can’t work his webcam, and they have really annoying delays and echos which they haven’t sorted out. Not to be mean but, do you think some of the Bachelor castoffs aren’t the brightest bulbs? They seem kind of dumb, just wondering what your experience was- I know you will tell it like it is! Its fine to have ONE technical difficulty but every week for weeks and weeks? Just saying, I don’t think maybe any of them are the brightest?
Comment: 1. You answered your own question. Times have changed. Not only is this a different show now than it was way back when it started. But it’s just as different now than it was during Jillian’s season. It’s about tabloid coverage, it’s about social media, and it’s about people wanting to be on for their 15 minutes.
2. Yes. Every email in here is real. I couldn’t make some of this stuff up if I tried.
3. Yes, I try to catch some of it every week if I’m around. The technical difficulties do suck. Hell, I had them last week when I tried to bring Jen on. We’ll try again tonight. I think I know the problem, but, even with us wearing headphones, there is a second or so delay. So lets say I ask Jen a question, by the time she hears the end of my question in her headphones, it’s about 1-1.5 seconds later than when it ended coming out of my mouth. And if I’m just pausing, and she thinks I’m done talking when I’m not, then we’re gonna end up talking over each other and that gets annoying. We’ll try again tonight. Maybe I’ll make a rule tonight with Jen that each of us has to say “Done” when we are done talking…ha ha.
It’s why I’ve been reluctant to have guests on. That delay, and people starting talking because they think someone’s finished when they aren’t drives me absolutely bonkers. So if/when I do have guests, it will only be one. It’s one giant clusterf**k with more than one person on.
What I don’t understand is if Lindzie was living with her boyfriend, what’s the point of getting dumped by text? Wouldn’t he still have to face her when he/she moved out? So bizarre..
Comment: That question was asked to me multiple times this week. And here’s my answer: I’m aware of the origin of that text message, why it was sent, how it was sent, and when it was sent. All I’m at liberty to say is that, yes, that text was actually real. Sort of. Sorry. That’s all I can say.
Hi Steve, I love your column. I always look forward to reading on Tuesdays and love pissing off my best friend by telling her spoilers.
Anyways, I was just wondering about the time frame of the hometown dates. I remember you saying a season or two ago that the girls only get to see their family while they’re with the lead, and the other time they are with a handler. So are they really sitting in a hotel room for the 5 or 6 days that aren’t the rose ceremony or their actual date? And are they whisked away in an SUV right after the hometown date like Ben is? I remember last night seeing Kacie say she was going to come back inside to talk to her parents. Is the purpose of this so that their families can’t influence them without Ben being around? Also, does Ben fly in and fly out the same day?
Comment: Yes, they’re in a hotel room in LA actually (all four girls are separated in 4 different hotels). Except Brad’s season, the girls were separated in four NY hotels while hometowns were going on. You sit in your hotel room all day, you hang out with your handler, go shopping, go to the gym, go to a movie, etc until it’s time for your hometown date. You fly home, you’re put up in a hotel room, they set up your date, you meet the lead, do whatever is you do with them, you go meet your family, then once the date is over, you go back to your hotel that night, and are on a plane the next morning back to LA to sit and wait until it’s time for the rose ceremony.
And yes, the lead flies in either that day, or the night before. I think it’s the night before, go to a hotel, then meet them the next morning. Pretty secretive stuff.
I love your blog — thanks for continuing to provide us Bachaholics with the juicy details of each season.
So here’s my question: I’ve noticed that all of the Bachelors from the last three seasons (Ben, Brad, and Jake) have consistently referred to the contestants, unfailingly, as “women” rather than as “girls.” Don’t get me wrong, I think this is great: it’s refreshing to hear grown men refer to grown women as, you know, women, and not girls. But it still strikes me as a bit odd because, in my experience, most dudes of that age (late 20s-early 30s) tend to refer to women of their age as “girls.” Is this some sort of ABC policy in the name of political correctness/feminism or are all of these guys just really enlightened?
Comment: I don’t think it’s a policy at all. And I know sometimes those guys refer to them as girls, don’t they? Every single time they’ve said “woman/women?” Whatever the case, I know I’ve used both in my column. I’ll even use “woman” in one paragraph and the next paragraph say “girl.” And I have no idea why.
Do you ever get nervous watching the show because you hope your spoilers are right (even though they are)? Do you ever go back to your spoilers while watching the show and say, “did I write that right?”
Comment: No. I know they’re right, so I’m never worried.
I have a quick question regarding Courtney (don’t we all)… did you know beforehand that she would stir up trouble?
Comment: Nope. No idea. The first hint of it was when they showed the first promo and they seemed to focus on the fact that she was the villain and the one skinny dipping. At that point, I kinda saw where her edit was headed. Before that, I had no idea.
Hi Steve and Maddie!!
Do you think Chris Harrison likes his job? He seems kind of grumpy and doesn’t really do much other than collect a paycheck.
Comment: He better like his job and he better be on his knees thanking whoever he prays to that he gets paid a good amount of money to do essentially nothing.
Love your site! Love the recaps! keep up the good work.
Quick question. I noticed that the ladies are always in sunny destinations, by the pool, on yachts and so on. I’m sure they’re responsible enough to wear sunscreen but I have a feeling that they’re being looked after in that regard. I have never in all the years, witnessed anyone sunburnt or peeling. I guess that would not make for good tv 🙂 or maybe it happened once and they learned not to let it happen again. Do you ever remember anyone with a sunburn?
Comment: No, I don’t. My guess is they’re allowed to wear sunscreen because you’re right, people would get burnt. Probably another reason why they don’t let them wear sunglasses during 1-on-1 time is so they don’t get raccoon eyes.