Uncategorized

The Lawsuit

So one of the most asked questions to me over the last four months has been, “What’s happening with the lawsuit filed by the producers and distributors of The Bachelor?” I haven’t been able to answer specifics about it, but I figured it’s about time to give people an idea of what’s going on and ask for your help. A reader of mine forwarded me this article yesterday written by a Matthew Chan on March 11th. I’ve never met or spoken with Matthew in my life, nor did he ever email me before. But I found it amazing that someone would take the time to read over my court case and give their opinion. Although not a lawyer, Matthew seems fairly successful in what he’s done and I think he paints a very interesting picture about the overall view of what’s happening to me. I think all of you who have asked about the lawsuit or are curious about it should take time to read this link. It’s a very insightful and well thought out column in terms of what he thinks this whole case is about:

“Bachelor” Producers Extortion Lawsuit Against “Reality Steve”

I’m still amazed someone who doesn’t know me at all took the time to look over the case files and write a very well versed blog about it. So to Matthew, I say thank you very much. One point I wanted to mention about something he wrote and that is where Matthew speculates “But the fact of the matter is even if everything the plaintiffs claim of Carbone is true, so what?” in reference to the claim from the plaintiffs alleging that I paid people under contract to give me non-public information. The allegation is not true. While I definitely agree with his position, I am here to say that I do not pay people for non-public information that I post on my site. Just wanted to make that point absolutely clear.

In the beginning, I was going to ask for any help I could get in defending myself in this case because I felt I never did anything wrong and still do, but it just didn’t feel right, and, I wanted to see how far the plaintiffs were willing going to go with what I consider to be a wrongful suit. Well, the truth is, defending myself against their lawsuit is getting awfully expensive. The plaintiffs have even made it MORE expensive for me to defend myself by dragging me into a lawsuit in California, as opposed to Texas where I live and work. I’m doing my best to defend against this baseless lawsuit and their unreasonable demands, but we’re coming up on four months now and I never thought they would take it this far. Now I could really use your help.

They are a big media company and they have hired a big law firm to put pressure on me. So I would greatly appreciate any financial assistance people are willing to give to support my own defense costs. I am setting up a legal defense fund (unless you’re from California—sorry) so anyone can contribute if you feel comfortable doing so. If you would like to donate, please click on the link below:

I cannot express how much I appreciate any donation you could make. I’ve already paid a lot myself, but this can only help in my fight to stand for what I believe is my right. So I thank Matthew Chan for writing that piece, and I thank all of you in advance for any donations you may make. I never thought I’d still be dealing with this four months after the fact, but the reality is that I am, and I’m not backing down. I just need a little help. Thank you for your time.

1. ghostly

March 14, 2012 at 2:19 PM

Liz, Casper, disliking the “tone” of a blogger is disliking his content. He’s only condescending toward people who don’t trust his spoilers or continue to pester him for more content (or have no reading comprehension); if you can point out a single instance where he’s berated his entire readership, please provide me with the link and I’ll be much more understanding of what you’re alleging. And he has on more than one occasion thanked people for their support, but he certainly isn’t starved for new readers and his attitude toward people who threaten to “stop reading him” just makes him say “go ahead and stop reading if you don’t want to.”

Really, if you don’t like his tone, you don’t like a very large and important aspect of his content, which means you should probably stop reading. And if you have examples of him specifically berating, mocking, or devaluing his entire readership, post the link.

2. theforce

March 14, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Cutting out vacations ain’t gonna do it. Lawsuits costs tens of thousands of dollars. Don’t care if you donate or not, but telling RS to skip a few meals and cancel a NY trip is laughable compared to going up against ABC’s lawyers.

3. ccway

March 14, 2012 at 2:26 PM

I apologize for the typos in my previous comment. Also, have to say, I emailed him once (jokingly) asking why the pavement was wet. I have to say, even though you know I got a smart ass answer, he did take the time to answer. Was sort of endearing to me after that…or maybe he just gets off on that lol

4. keepitsimple

March 14, 2012 at 2:35 PM

I’m with Nobody. And why would I donate to someone who claims they don’t read the comments then bans my handle because they didn’t like my feedback.

5. laurarose

March 14, 2012 at 2:36 PM

No one should be arguing about who IS or is NOT donating. Please take a step back for a moment and put yourself in Steve’s shoes. Do you honestly believe that he wanted to reach out to his readers for help? I doubt it. He has already admitted to spending a lot of his money on the legal fees and obviously needs more help and I respect him for putting his dignity aside and asking his loyal readers for help.

I, for one, have never been offended by his posts and don’t even know why some of you are, but to each their own. I come back regularly to read Steve’s posts and am genuinely entertained by them. Do I take it personally when he is making fun of some of the dumb questions that he receives from his readers? Hell no. Do I expect him to kiss our asses because we read his blog? Absolutely not. It is unfair to say that he doesn’t appreciate his readers, because he knows that without us he wouldn’t be able to do this for a living (and to the person who said that he needs to get a “REAL JOB”, I think its time for you to report back to your shift at McDonald’s)

Of course it makes sense that traveling shouldn’t be top on the list of priorities right now given his legal situation, but who am I to judge? I know nothing about his life except what he decides to share with us on this site. At the end of the day, I thoroughly enjoy reading Steve’s posts and want to support him in any way I can. I have had years of entertainment because of this website and, like a reader expressed above, I pay to subscribe to magazines, what the hell is the difference?

I guess what I’m trying to say here is if you want to donate, then donate, if not, then move along, but acting self-righteous is not a good look for you.

6. maxi

March 14, 2012 at 2:46 PM

@laurarose, what a hypocrite you are. Self-righteous? Look in the mirror. Oh, and I have all the respect in the world for McDonalds workers; at least they WORK for their money!:) but sorry, I make 6 figures a year and am very educated….so, you assume I am not because I point out the obvious? Can no one have a differing opinion of yours? I can and will read whatever blog I choose to! Doesn’t mean I will kiss the ass of the writer! I am not a fan of putting people down, or nasty personalities, so no, not a Steve fan anymore. And yes, I find it super funny that he his first humble blog is one in which he is asking people for money. Lmao.

7. goodgirls

March 14, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Donating $5 is no more than what most pay for gossip rags at the grocery store. Help Steve out! Donate!!

8. Charm14060

March 14, 2012 at 3:27 PM

I look at it like this. Steve is doing a job entertaining his readers as any magazine/newspaper would. My household members do not pay for “newspapers”, but we do donate monthly to a few websites that provide us with worthy news. Many of the sites we visit hold quarterly donation drives. They are running a business and are providing a product, and it costs to maintain a website.

I will donate because I want Steve to be able to continue to provide me with these crazy ass spoilers that I really shouldn’t care about but can’t seem to ignore. There are other bloggers out there writing about the show that I will not read. I personally do not like them (mostly past contestants), so why waste my time reading a blog from someone that not only annoys me, but doesn’t matter to me. If you are that bothered by Steve and his “attitude”, seriously…don’t read. Practice a little self control and stop looking to be bothered. It’s unhealthy!

9. liz123

March 14, 2012 at 3:46 PM

@lovingsteve5, it really says a lot that your only debate tactic is an ad hominem attack. I’m sure you don’t know what that means, so here you go: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad_hominem. And, honestly, my gripe is not with you. I only called you an ass kisser because you called me an idiot. I will give you that stooping to your level is the one idiotic thing I’ve done/said. The debate here is quite enlightening to me in regards to both the Bachelor franchises’ fans & human psychology in general & that’s why I continue to participate. Some people make good points that could potentially change my POV a little, but when people like you resort to & have nothing more to offer than name calling of people that disagree with them, it says a lot about both you & Steve’s supporters in general. Think about that the next time you think your best shot at winning a debate is saying “I know you are but what am I”. It’s not very becoming.

10. penguinfan01

March 14, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Some people are so ridiculous. If you don’t like the way RS writes his blog, don’t read it, you don’t have to. He is entertaining, and always gets his facts, where the big guys like TMZ, Radaronline, People, etc., have not done. I am happy to donate, because I want the blog to continue. I will do whatever to try to stop the snake, Mike Fleiss. He has no regard for anyone other than himself. I hope RS kicks his a– in court. I hope you have a good lawyer Steve sweetie. I’m rooting for you.

11. Miaperdido

March 14, 2012 at 4:20 PM

If The Bachelor really cared about keeping their show a secret they could go to a weekly live show with a Big Brother type format. I can’t even understand the reasonings behind suing what is essentially at the end of the day a fansite. Like Survivor Sucks.

12. Athena

March 14, 2012 at 4:31 PM

FWIW – I will donate.
    However, I have to wonder about the “criticizers” on here. I had been developing a theory that they were ABC stoolies, now I’m wondering if Steve himself might not be behind their posts. I realize this is paranoid thinking, but seriously, if they continue (and yes, most of them are on here day after day, week after week) to criticize and demand that Steve change to make THEM happy, then why don’t they just leave the site? There is exactly no reason to continue doing the same thing over and over and expect different results, and yet, that’s exactly what they keep doing. I just don’t get it. There has to be a reason for their insane behavior (note that I am not calling them insane, just their behavior).

13. Dak1928

March 14, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Steve and Steve alone made the decision to play with the big boys. This is how they play, and now it’s getting rough. The truth is, both the show and Steve’s spoiler site are mildly entertaining at best; losing either or both of them would affect very few people. As someone already mentioned, you can donate to Steve’s cause or not. There’s a little girl in my area needing a bone marrow transplant, so I think I’ll send my money her way instead.

14. aatxcutie

March 14, 2012 at 4:45 PM

YGTBKM, this has to be a joke, right? Steve’s asking us for donations now, after insulting us for how many seasons?

Should have kept his day job…
    Shouldn’t have burned bridges with his readers…
    Shouldn’t ever ask anyone over the internet for money…

I would send treats to Maddie, but Steve you’ve sent me one too many MEAN emails.

15. aatxcutie

March 14, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Um, guys be very careful about donating. There is definitely a common theme in both Chan’s website and Steve’s so called legal plight. Chan’s first blog post came about the same time so many negative posters came forward to post here. I smell a HUGE RAT@!!!!

16. cycy

March 14, 2012 at 6:36 PM

I think people misunderstand Steve. There were times when I’d read something and be like “that’s kind of harsh” but when he wrote that people misinterpreted his tone and his sarcasm, I understood what he meant. I’ve gotten into plenty of email/texting fights because someone wrote something that was completely misunderstood. If we had actually been talking or in person there would have been no issue. As for Steve’s chest-thumping, yes, he does that at the end of the season, but I can hear him chuckling while he’s writing and it must be nice to be vindicated after months of being questioned. I haven’t heard him be arrogant about his own life – he eats out because he can’t cook, he’s not living the high life, and he’s very honest about his non-existent love life. I sent him a joke Valentine’s day e-card when he wrote in a column that was spending it alone and he wrote back to me right away and we joked around about Courtney for a bit and he was really quite nice. I don’t know, maybe sometimes he’s frustrated and the lawsuit isn’t helping, but the biggest proof for me is his videos with Maddie. Has anyone seen him act like a jerk at all in any of his videos? He comes across as an incredibly decent, humble guy.

17. cubbiegirl1

March 14, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Steve,
    I received a letter in the mail the other day saying that I was going to be sued for $50,000 if I did not take my review off of Yelp. I was overwhelmed. I am teaching my students about Freedom of Speech, yet it feels like we do not have the right at times. Keep fighting your fight, knowing you are right! No matter if you are a kid or an adult, bullies exist and they want to make other people feel miserable due to the fact that they have black souls.

18. laurarose

March 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM

@maxi… I find it interesting that you called yourself out and immediately came to the defense. All I was trying to do was show the other side of the coin, not offend anyone. I agree with you, you are absolutely entitled to read whatever blog you choose to, but it saddens me that you feel the need to complain about one that you apparently “choose” to read (your words, not mine). I understand he has offended you and many other readers and I hope he knows the impact that had on all of them (if he reads the comments, he should certainly know that by now..). It is ironic that this is his first humble blog but at the same token (again, just playing devils advocate here), it’s not Steve’s persona to be serious/humble and everyone knows that.

And congrats on the six figures…. many “very educated” people like yourself are unable to find jobs so I hope you are counting your blessings.

19. maxi

March 14, 2012 at 8:08 PM

@Laurarose, to quote you “(and to the person who said that he needs to get a “REAL JOB”, I think its time for you to report back to your shift at McDonald’s)”. I didn’t call myself out, you did. I responded to your ridiculous comment. Stand behind your words!

20. crossedmymind

March 14, 2012 at 8:33 PM

File a counter suit from Texas, for a wrongful suit lawsuit or something to that effect – they will have to go to Texas to defend. also your lawyer can try to get your suit heard in Texas before the suit in California – good luck – free speech is under attack everywhere in the world.

21. tammyindiana

March 14, 2012 at 8:38 PM

I find it laughable that most posters here ARE forgetting the obvious in regards to this lawsuit….IT IS TO SUPPRESS OUR FUNDAMENTAL CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT, FREEDOM OF SPEECH. It so happens that what started with a blog poking fun at a TV show has now turned into a bona fide LAWSUIT TO SILENCE the voice we all have listened to for our entertainment purposes. Anyone who has been up against giants such as a MAJOR NETWORK, would understand, this is HIGH DOLLAR fights, and ABC KNOWS Steve can’t afford the fight. If you are going up against dragons, you best have seriously large weapons.
    I agree with Mr. Chan, if this case is won by ABC it will be discussed for years to come.
    What is 5$?? A tank of gas, a pack of smokes, a well drink in a cheap bar, a trash rag magazine…..
    I give to the United Way, the girl scouts, the offering plate, Salvation Army, Hurricane Funds and recently to the Indiana Tornado victims. I even give to panhandlers if I am so moved to do so.
    If anyone has ever done something kind for you…
    Pay it forward…..
    Look at the BIG picture. People have a right to speak.
    Use this as an opportunity to help reinforce that right.
    PEACE……

22. tamara

March 14, 2012 at 9:34 PM

It’s very simple. A good man who has provided us a service is asking politely for assistance when he needs the help. I, for one, have donated.

Haters, please just leave why stay and whine about it, just move on to some site you love and enjoy. I don’t understand it.

Peace and blessings.

23. lmgesq

March 15, 2012 at 3:04 AM

I didn’t click on the link to read the docs but I think I read enough to give my two cents. I’m a tort law attorney in DE – looks like your case has been removed to Fee Court – which makes sense bc you post on the Internet do technically you are “crossing state lines.” I’m also assuming they are suing you for tortuous interference of contract. the main issue that sticks out to me here – the issue your Motion for Summary Judgment should be focused on – is DAMAGES!!! The producers need to be able to show that Steve’s actions somehow resulted in DAMAGE to him. they can’t do it. period. if anything, Steve’s conduct has only enticed more viewers to tune in every week thus helping the show(s) to succeed. I would be shocked if abc had any evidence to support a claim to the contrary. the likelihood is they’ll take a few deps, fulfill a few requests for production answer a few interrogatories and Steve’s lawyer will file a motion for sum judge – ie – something with the court that says “even if we look at everything in the light most favorable to the Plaintiffs – a jury could never find in their favor. and unless I’m missing something – the linchpin for that argument should be damages. just my observation. also – the likelihood of Steve getting costs or punitives out of this is slim to none unfortunately. usually that is only awarded in cases of egregious conduct – probably not here (altho you’re in the “9th circus” – or is it 8th?? either way it’s a whole different world out there so God only knows. thats prob why the producers filed out thre in the first place truthully.) Steves lawyer should’ve tried to remove it to DE fed court. plainiffs are incorporated here – like every other fortune 500 corp bc our laws protect the hell out of the higher ups – so it prob would’ve been deemed rightful and we don’t take any shit out here. anyway, good luck, keep fighting the good fight and seriously – think about writing to a few big Whig firms about repping u pro bono. it’s free marketing for God’s sake! you shouldn’t have to pay to defend yourself when this case is clearly in the public eye. that’s my two cents – not that u asked for it

24. lmgesq

March 15, 2012 at 3:40 AM

damn iphone: “Fee” = “Fed”, “do” = “so” and “8th” should’ve been “7th” (that was my typo not the iPhone’s.) I’m sure I didn’t give u any more insight than your own counsel has already but I’m hoping I at least gave u some food for thought re: the pro bono thing. I can’t imagine this thing going on for years and years – stay on your attorney and he should be able to wrap it up in no time (w/o having to incorporate the words “cease and desist” or “gag” into some sort of a settlement.)

25. ebrowder

March 15, 2012 at 6:26 AM

I am not going to comment on the comments. There are good points for both sides. Here is where my issue lies: THIS BLOG HAS INCREASED THE VIEWERSHIP OF THOSE SHOWS. Instead of attacking, they should be rejoicing. To me, it is a case of “We are loaded with money and attornies..let’s take down the little guy”. Over and over again…Harrison and company say “OH we dont care about that blog”..when obviously they do. I have donated b/c 1. I hate to see one person being treated like this by a corporation. 2. It could EASILY be ANY of us. EASILY. 3. Right is right and wrong is wrong. I dont agree with EVERYTHING Steve writes..I dont agree with what ANY ONE PERSON writes. It is an OPINION BLOG. It is not a textbook blog. Just like people can make any comment they want, he has the right to give his OPINION. What they are doing to him could snowball into “OH you cannot comment on this if you dont post this”.

26. Vanilla Thunder

March 15, 2012 at 6:31 AM

Steve, I have been subjected to a lawsuit myself, and I know how stressful and scary it is. But I was able to get a dismissal, so there is every chance that you will too. The burden of proof is on the plaintiff, and they have to meet that burden to get the judgment they want. From what I read in Matthew Chan’s blog, the Bachelor producers don’t have sufficient proof, and hopefully the court will see that.

I can’t afford to donate very much, but I will gladly give what I can to help you out. Your blog is highly entertaining, and I couldn’t watch the Bachelor/ette without it.

27. brady6

March 15, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Steve – you have provided me hours of entertainment with this blog. $5 is a very small price to pay for all that you do. I have just donated to your cause. I figure I pay about that for those trash tabloid magazines and they don’t come close to the kind of information you provide to us for FREE!. I hope all of your loyal readers can band together and help you with this. Best of luck!!!!

28. jenniferboston1

March 15, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Steve eats out all the time because he can’t cook? Wasn’t his mother just at his apartment visiting? She couldn’t show him how to use a microwave? Open a frozen dinner, how about a can of soup? My little kids can use the microwave.

BTW, people that typically state they make “6 figures” don’t.

Donate to worthy causes……

29. jenniferboston1

March 15, 2012 at 6:53 AM

I bet RS will lose many readers due to Emily Maynard being the next Bachelorette. I seriously can’t think of anyone who’d be more BORING. No one I know will be watching her season.

30. jessmarch

March 15, 2012 at 7:39 AM

What an amazing rally cry!!!! Great article. I hope you will be able to follow his advice and fire back at these guys. I’ll try to do my part to get the word out for you.

31. Dianne

March 15, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Careful, folks, careful. I do not for one second believe Steve posted this donation thing. It’s totally got something to do with “Chan”. Don’t do anything until you contact Steve directly via e-mail to find out if this is legit or not.

32. CaliGirl

March 15, 2012 at 8:34 AM

If Steve didn’t post it, then someone must have hacked into his site, Twitter, and email. I emailed him asking him if I could dontate if I lived in CA and he responded right away that I could. Highly doubtful that we wouldn’t have heard from Steve by now if this wasn’t legit.

33. Dianne

March 15, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Good point, CaliGirl. Glad to know this is not a hoax..I seriously had my doubts.

34. bigfatwoman

March 15, 2012 at 9:02 AM

I don’t know much about Steve and who he is on a deep level. I don’t know if he has thousands of dollars in credit card bills or lives beyond his means. I don’t know what kind of car he drives, how wasteful he is with spending, how many people have lent him money and have been paid back or not paid back.

I like reading his column. I don’t know if I like him. I don’t know if he’s a douchebag offline or just a douchebag online.

And for that reason, I can’t help out. Because I don’t know the total picture or enough of who he really is.

35. adck

March 15, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I can see both sides. One, its his site so he can blog how and what he wishes. However, on the otherhand if he wants to keep his readership, he should soften his insults etc…he can still be funny, sophpmoric (however you want to call it) without being mean. And I think it’s wrong to ask people to donate money after the way he treats them. I’m not gonna tell somehow how to run their own so it is what it is to me. But I’m also not going to donate to unworthy cause. I love his recaps and the spoilers but if his site went away, I wouldn’t die. I’d rather donate to a cause that helps fight something other than ABC. Good Luck RS, I hope you win and you continue with the site because you do provide me entertainment year round on this trashy, but guilty pleasure show!

36. debb0

March 15, 2012 at 9:15 AM

As someone who has previously worked for a large, very corporate company, where we were basically trained to walk all over people to get what we want, hence the reason I am now with a small company, I will donate to Steve’s cause. Yes, he has ticked me off a few times with some of his words & told you so’s, but who doesn’t every now & then, including my loved ones. And as several commentators before me said, he comes across sensitive & kind after seeing him interact with his Mom & Maddie. Steve’s blog is the only reason I continue to watch this silly show & he’s responsible for so much of the media attention. As I said before, ABC should be paying him, not suing him.

37. duckyglass

March 15, 2012 at 9:42 AM

I just donated $20, Steve. Not much, but I hope it helps. Chan is right about defending your 1st Ammendment rights! I hope you countersue like he recommended. Fight a hard fight….go hard or go home…

38. vicky67

March 15, 2012 at 9:56 AM

It’s very interesting to me that people who hate it here continue to come and post here. Isn’t that sort of like eating a bunch of pickles and then whining to anyone that will listen that you hate pickles, here’s one for you genius, stop eating freaking pickles!
    I too will donate to help Steve, for a few reasons,
    1) I hate bullies, with every fiber of my being.
    2) Steve provides me with entertainment, if I can pay $12.00 to go to the movies then I will certainly pay to continue reading this site. Steve’s blog is the only reason I continue to watch these shows.
    I still have a hard time understanding why people get so bent out of shape with his responses, i’ve been reading Steve for years, he is freaking funny! People need to relax, it’s truly one of the many things wrong with society today, people are way to uptight! It’s an entertainment blog for heaven’s sake. I for one also hate stupidity, I have no problem with Steve giving a verbal smackdown to those that deserve it.
    Good luck to you Steve!

39. Clue-less1

March 15, 2012 at 2:05 PM

I’ve sat by for a long time reading, observing and processing. There are a couple of issues here that I now feel compelled to comment on.

The first is that some people were offended by Steve’s tone in a recent post or posts and didn’t like it. I read that same post. Personally, I did not feel offended. Because I felt the post did not apply to me. I took it for what it was. Steve was frustrated by being pestered and asked so many times for information that he was going to post anyway. Could someone have taken it personally if they were one of the ones that wrote in? I suppose so. Or worse yet, if you just give him crap for writing what he did the way he did and he didn’t even really attack you on a personal level, then yeah I think I’d get defensive too and maybe ask you to not email me. But when anyone is put on the defensive I don’t know many who would just back down and meekly apologize, especially if they didn’t even personally attack you but you’re berating them for something they said. If I was talking to someone, and some stranger came up to me and told me how wrong I was with the way I was talking or what I was saying, sorry but I doubt I’d take very kindly to it. I might think about what they said later but in that moment, would I be open to hearing it? No. I think Steve has shown by the tone in his subsequent posts that he took some of the comments to heart and understood where the readers were coming from. The fact that he did go read some of the comments and addressed them shows something. Maybe that’s his way of apologizing to those who so desperately need an apology.

I kind of look at it like this. As a mom, my kids sometimes ask me the same question over and over that I’ve given the same answer to countless times. Do I get frustrated? Yeah sometimes and sometimes I yell a little too loudly or snap a little too rudely in response. We are all HUMAN. We all make mistakes. We all have good and bad days. To take it so personally and then attack a person who has not directly attacked you is mind boggling to me.

What happened to people being forgiving and just downright kind to one another? And yes for those of you who would say, “but he wasn’t kind and forgiving to his readers”….that seems like a copout. Just because someone acts a certain way, it does not make it right for you to act that way in return. Do we all not know the Golden Rule? Cut our fellow humans some slack. No one is perfect. We all make mistakes. Maybe his was being overly frustrated that day or being overly harsh to overeager readers in his blog. Maybe yours was taking those comments personally like he was attacking you when he wasn’t. Just because you think he needs to apologize and the apology is not forthcoming (in the way you deem appropriate) does not give you the right to then start spewing awful things about him in return. You are, in essence, doing the exact thing you want an apology for. Only you are accusing him directly whereas he did not accuse you personally.

The second issue here is for those who see this as donating to Steve personally. There is a much bigger issue at stake here rather than Steve as a person and that is our right to freedom of speech and the whole David vs. Goliath issue.

I found Matthew Chan’s blog posts to be insightful, enlightening and right on the money in so many ways. This is not about Steve, guys. This is about our basic fundamental rights and why should we give some huge corporation this kind of power when their bottom line is basically not affected in a negative way whatsoever, more like they make more money from the show because of this.

Whether you decide to donate or not is a personal issue. You shouldn’t be judged for it either way.

Let’s just stop judging each other and get along and fight for the issues that are really important.

And I was interested in responding to the person who posted that Steve should get a real job. In today’s day and age “real jobs” are becoming more varied and diverse. Are you honestly telling me that if you had an opportunity to work from home and make money doing it, that you would not take it because it’s not a “real job?” I’d be very surprised if that was the case. We all do what we have to in order to make a living. I’m sure that Steve’s legal costs are far more extensive than any of us would ever realize. Do you really think a weekend in New York or spending time in California with your family should be put on hold so you can “save” all this money to fight a battle you shouldn’t even have to fight in the first place? Sorry but with something like this hanging over my head, I think I’d need the support of friends and family even more.

Frankly if I saw that anyone was involved in a David vs. Goliath situation and was being bullied into acquiescence, I’d fight and try to help in a way that was right for me. If you choose not to, that’s your right too. But don’t judge those who do.

Concentrate on what’s important. 🙂

40. liz123

March 15, 2012 at 5:09 PM

A few points I’d like to comment on in regards to your post, Clue-less1. You do make some very good points actually. I think from the way you interpret things & other people’s feelings, you’re right on. The only problem with you logic is that I don’t think the majority of people’s comments are motivated by the things you think they’re motivated by.
    1. I was never offended either in general or on a personal level by Steve’s tone or chest-pumping in any post. I disliked it & it annoyed me sometimes, but I was never “offended”. What *did* offend me (if that’s even the right word, I’m not exactly sure) was when he basically told his readers who were unhappy that he didn’t care about them, none of them mattered to him, & in no uncertain terms “SeeYaBye”. That is offensive to someone who has read him for years & feels like their support & readership even if in just a tiny way is what allowed him to make this blog profitable. There is not one part of me that ever expected or even wanted Steve to change his style for me. I guess I just hoped that he’d say something to the effect of “That’s just my style. I hate it if you don’t like it b/c I value every single one of my readers, but it is just my style so don’t take it to heart so much”. *That* is what offended people, IMO.
    2. I agree that he has toned it down in subsequent posts. I think that’s really cool &, at the risk of sounding condescending, I’m proud of him & appreciate it a lot. It’s not always easy to apologize & everyone does it in their own way. I’d like to think that was his way of, if not apologizing, then at the very least showing that he’s listening to his readers.
    3. You ask: “Do you really think a weekend in New York or spending time in California with your family should be put on hold so you can “save” all this money to fight a battle you shouldn’t even have to fight in the first place”. Ummmm, yes, I absolutely positively do think that everything beyond necessities should be put on hold when you are facing major financial issues. Your kind of thinking is one of the major reasons this country is in the financial situation it is in. Just because we want/need/deserve a vacation doesn’t mean we get one. Life is not fair. They teach you that in elementary school. If life was fair, Steve wouldn’t be in the position of being sued in the 1st place & we’d all go on a 2 week vacation to any destination we chose every single year. That’s just not the way it works. And you’re right, canceling a New York vacation would surely not save Steve enough money to cover the entire cost of this lawsuit, but it takes pennies to make a dollar. And it feels a little disingenuous for Steve to claim he can’t afford this lawsuit & ask for money from his readers only *one* day after he posts about his intention to travel more & more & more in the coming months/years.
    4. Yes, in general, this lawsuit is a freedom of speech issue which is obviously a very important one to all Americans (or should be), but there are a lot of other free speech cases pending that one could donate to if one was so inclined. When the defendant spends the last few weeks telling his readers he does not value them & then tells his readers he needs their help (i.e., their money) right after he tells his readers that he’s going to start hopping around the world for leisurely travel, it really motivates me to find a more worthy defendant to donate my money to if free speech is what I want my money to fight for.

41. aatxcutie

March 15, 2012 at 5:43 PM

I sure hoping you’re reporting all these donations as income so you don’t also end up in court for problems with the IRS.

My donations are going to the deserving people that lost everything in the tornado outbreak last month. That’s a cause that means something. Let the big dawgs in our government fight for freedom of speech, which this lawsuit isn’t about. How do any of you know Steve didn’t send these emails to staffers under serious non-disclosure contracts offering money for tips? That is illegal. Do you really, really think ABC would file a bogus lawsuit just to shut Steve up?

42. barbeerube

March 16, 2012 at 9:50 AM

I didn’t read RS this last Bachelor season because I wanted to see what it was like, for a change, to watch, and not know the outcome ahead of time. Kinda fun, but I missed all the inside stuff. So I just came back to the site and surprisingly found out about the lawsuit. If it wasn’t so scary for Steve I would find it very humorous that ABC would do this seeming as the viewership does not at all seem to be affected by RS. I am compelled to donate as a matter of principle, and I plan to still donate to the medical charities that I believe in as well. Best of luck and I won’t be absent for so long again, wow, the things I’ve missed!

43. liz123

March 16, 2012 at 10:52 AM

44. willow

March 16, 2012 at 12:01 PM

@tammyindiana, I completely agree with you. This is about the big guys picking on the little guy, and about freedom of speech in the new media universe. I personally wonder if People mag has some part in prompting this lawsuit, since they seem to be the “official” mag covering this show… could they be envious of Steve’s readership? Anyway, I am self employed, and I am donating, because this is a good cause. I think there are people out there who envy Steve’s popularity and are ragging on his asking for donations… but if you read the article by Mr. Chan, who has been through this sort of thing himself, *he* (Mr. Chan) is the one who suggested that Steve set up a legal defense fund. And if you have ever had to pay a lawyer for *anything*, you know how quickly the bills stack up.

This is a ridiculous nuisance lawsuit, meant solely to intimidate Steve and put him out of business. It is baseless. Steve has no contract with anyone at ABC, therefore he isn’t *breaching* a contract; and it’s a free country with a free press, so if people want to give him information, so be it, he is free to report it. Even the Pentagon can’t prevent leaks, so why does The Bachelor franchise think it can, when they film out in public venues? Think about it!

And by the way, to the people who are offended by Steve’s tone: look up the words “slanted”, “skewed”, and especially “SOPHOMORIC” in the dictionary. They’re all right there in the masthead. He didn’t say “sweet”, “saccharine”, and “SYCOPHANTIC”. (That OTHER Reality Steve’s blog exists in a parallel universe, just not this one.)

45. liz123

March 16, 2012 at 7:35 PM

@willow, just out of curiosity, do you really believe that someone who tries to please their customers or their bosses is a sycophantic?

46. willow

March 16, 2012 at 9:54 PM

@liz123, no, I never said that.

I just meant that Steve’s masthead tells you exactly what to expect from the tone of his blog.

47. saralee

March 16, 2012 at 11:19 PM

I’m donating simply because I’d like to see someone kick Fleiss’s slimy butt.

48. willow

March 17, 2012 at 8:33 AM

Regarding the tone of Steven’s blog, I completely get it. I used to work as a software developer, and we’d spend hours writing user manuals that answered every possible question you could think of… and still people wouldn’t read them. They would call or email with the same questions over & over again, when all they had to do was RTFM: Read The Freaking Manual. All Steve is asking you to do is, before you ask questions, read the blog. Chances are, it’s in there.

If you have ever been self employed and had to build a business from scratch and ride the waves with cashflow, you would understand why this lawsuit is scary. You would also understand that Steve puts many hours into this, probably far more than most nine-to-fivers, and it’s more than just the writing. The actual blog is just the tip of the iceberg. So why begrudge a self employed person some trips or family time? He’s probably worked more hours this week than most people do in two.

49. tkoehne

March 18, 2012 at 3:40 PM

I occasionally read your blog and have become fascinated now that this lawsuit has come about. How has this case not been thrown out? As Matthew said, “And even if Carbone is offering money in exchange for inside information, isn’t that one of the reasons why the “Bachelor” producers make their participants and employees sign heavy-handed contracts with precise, well-worded confidentiality clauses in their agreements?…It falls upon the show participants and employees to uphold their end of the agreement, not Carbone. And what Carbone allegedly did comes nowhere close to entrapping anyone…. ”

If this is in fact how you get your content for the site, shouldn’t they be suing the people who gave you the info. despite the confidentiality agreement? You didn’t sign anything.

Just saying. 🙂

50. tammyindiana

March 18, 2012 at 10:44 PM

@aatxcutie~I am not a lawyer but I believe if a legal defense fund, defense trust is established and all of the proper steps adhered to, only a portion of it is subject to tax.In RS’s case, all of his received donations may qualify for exempt status, however he would have to pursue the answers and requirements with his resident state statue’s. The taxation rate is determined after the fund/trust has been founded and states his mission.
    And I reside 60 miles from the tornado ravaged area in Southern Indiana. I donated as well~but to a charity that was giving 100% of the proceeds towards needs for the community of Henryville Indiana. 25% collected was going to assist with the animals that have been injured, found ownership undetermined, with attempts to reunite with owners, food, etc. This was through a local church who also collected food, cleaning supplies, trash bags, industrial gloves (so much debris to be picked up by hand) tarps, plywood, water, water, and more water.
    @vicky67! I dislike bullies too! A LOT!
    @Clue less 1: Another articulate well rounded thinker in the bunch! My thinking is right in sync with yours~this lawsuit is an issue of principle and ALL of our constitutional rights to express free speech.
    Like you, I would hope that people would extend a helping hand to me in a situation of this magnitude.
    This man provides a service~feeding us, his viewers spoilers, and if he had no audience, there would be no lawsuit.
    I read this site and have since Jake’s season. I have also read the edgy posts, but the witty, hysterical posts FAR outweigh the few uncharacteristic posts. I like you, didn’t take it personal. I like that you identified we all need to be forgiving anyway. I will post a separate post of the infamous words Mother Teresa said. I actually have copies of it in my day planner and on my office wall. It is worth posting separately.
    @Willow~YEAH…You GET it! It miffs me that people can believe a weekend jaunt should be cancelled because of a very serious and potentially lengthy and costly lawsuit. I am sure that it is the difference in the way each of us were brought up. But, I see it like this~when we are faced with a life crisis that comes with a price tag (and nearly every serious crisis comes with SOME form of a financial price tag) be it a car mechanical issue, a travel plan issue, a health issue or a lawsuit issue. Their is some monetary “price” that has to be paid or suffered as a result of whatever the issue. SO…one has to weigh the price of the presenting “issue” whatever it may be, against the price of their mental, physical, emotional, SPIRITUAL well being needed to confront, endure and see the crisis issue through. This is a rather LARGE, SERIOUS AND STRESSFUL PRESENTING ISSUE.
    One may view it as “I can’t afford it, where another may view it as “I can’t afford NOT to”. From the looks of his weekend posts each day~I would say that he worked a little each day and that he is in need of some mental and spiritual rejuvenation.
    IMHO~It is simple. We all have free will.
    Choose to donate OR not. And if NOT, agree to disagree.
    I STRONGLY believe that EVERY donating individual research their cause before assuming they are “helping” it depends on who you end up helping~a great website for that is charitynavigator.org. Free to register and see ALL the data, but worth it, if you want to feel confident your monies are truly helping your intended cause and NOT bulking the salary of another overpaid corporate executive.

I digress~but I doubt that Steve will be living the high life off of our donations. I am certain that he could provide figures to provide transparency, which would be required if he sets up a legal defense trust.
    In the event he beats this down and their is residual~then perhaps he could establish a not for profit fund that would help other victims of cybersuits (pay it forward effect) or donate any leftovers to a worthy charity or two or three…animals? We seem to have a lot of animal lovers among us? Perhaps animals that become victims in some of these horrific tornadoes/hurricanes the US seems to be plagued with in the past few years.
    Just my two cents worth…OK 49 cents worth.

But the bottom line is donate if you choose, or not.
    But do not begrudge those who choose to, it is my money to do with what I choose..and certainly do not begrudge a man time spent living his life.
    If you feel your dollars are contributing to Steve Carbone’s Lifestyle of the Rich….. and Famous (for pissing ABC off), I would say you fall under the DO NOT CONTRIBUTE column! It is a no brainer and your prerogative.
    But my advice to Steve personally would be~don’t disclose your travel plans. It really isn’t any of our business anyway.
    Interesting how this has spun off to reveal more to each of us than the silly “reality” dating show that brought us all here.
    Quite an interesting group of minds~
    I will be watching Mr. Chan’s blogs.
    The way he states it, his plan is to try and get the suing producers to withdraw the suit completely. But he is building his proposal and said to stay tuned for “the plan” that is yet to be revealed.