Dr. Reality Steve

“Reader Emails” & “Dr. Reality Steve”

Good times last night on the video blog. Olivia finally lost her tooth last night, Nicholas woke up crying for no reason, and they’re all headed back to California now. If you missed last night’s show, it’s in the post below this one. 70 questions asked total, with the last half pretty much directed towards the kids. As I mentioned in the video last night, last week’s video blog never recorded by Vokle. I’ve done 12 shows now and that was the first one it’s happened to. When I asked them what happened and why the video never posted, they said technical issues that night, and every show on Vokle had that problem, and the show couldn’t be recovered. Is what it is. Vokle is a free service so there’s not much I can do. If it doesn’t record, it doesn’t record. Last night’s did, it’s up now, and you can scroll through and skip right to any question you want. I think my favorite was when someone asked Olivia about the tooth fairy. Apparently she thinks a Texas tooth fairy pays higher than a California one.

And the picture of them was from yesterday before we went and saw The Lorax. We killed some time in Barnes and Noble, and Olivia was obsessed at looking at the Teen Magazines so she could see all the kids from ICarly, Austin and Ally, Shake it Up, and Victorious. Geez, I don’t remember looking at those magazines until I was in about 5th grade, where I’d run to the store every day after school to see what new photos of Alyssa Milano was in “Bop” magazine. It was at that time when I realized what it was like to start becoming a man. Thank you Alyssa. I’ll always be grateful.

Since I posted yesterday about the two new confirmed contestants, and that Kalon McMahon was the one who left the show on his own, nothing has happened in the last 24 hours, so lets get right to the “Reader Emails” and “Dr. Reality Steve” questions. These emails were all sent in over the last two weeks. We’re about a month away from getting back into the normal routine of having a full email bag every week. Enjoy…
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve,

Not sure if my question has ever been asked, but if it has, I apologize for the repetition. This is something I’ve always wondered about the roses: Are the names of each contestant somehow taped under the rose for the bachelor/bachelorette to see when he/she is giving them out? I ask because I notice the first few episodes of every season, each Bachelor or Bachelorette will look down when they have the rose in hand, and then call out the names. I find it hard to believe one person can memorize and keep straight 25 names in their heads for every first rose ceremony. I remember one season (Jesse Palmer’s I believe?) where he meant to give the rose to Karen from RI, but instead called out the wrong name. Keep up the great work!

Comment: Oh boy. Please don’t tell me the rest of the mailbag will be questions like this.

To answer your first question: Yes, this question has been asked one gazillion times.
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve

I have a “challenge” question for you.

When contestants on Bachelor Pad, Survivor, etc. are giving directions on how a challenge is to be completed, are they given anything further than what is shown on tv? Like a demonstration or better instructions? Do they practice before the actual competition? If I was just given that very quick explanation that America sees, I’m sure I’d mess it up!

Comment: Definitely they are given more instruction. But time is of the essence on TV shows. They’re only going to show you what’s important, and explaining the rules of a challenge just really isn’t all that important. So they’d much rather save that time and devote it to scheming and plotting later on in the episode. I mean really, these challenges really aren’t that difficult to figure out, so, no need to waste time letting the audience know. We’re not participating in them so it really isn’t all that essential that we know. I don’t think I’ve ever watched a challenge on “Survivor,” and during the challenge or even afterwards, thought to myself, “I wish they would’ve explained the rules to us. I really didn’t understand that.” So unless a challenge is ridiculously complex, which they usually aren’t, you will rarely see any time devoted to explaining the rules of it.
__________________________________________________________

Someone asked you today in your reader email column about releasing names before the show starts to film…

You said you choose not to release names before filming because then it ruins the guys chances of getting on the show. Why not release all the names you have before filming begins to screw with ABC? Then they have to start over with casting. Just a thought…?

Good luck with the law suit!

Comment: They wouldn’t start over with casting if I revealed what names I knew. Usually by the time the first episode airs, I only have a few anyway. It’s not like I’ve got the 25 person list and I’m just holding on to it. I release names when I get info, and I never know when that will be. The last few seasons, I have had names before the season started, but I waited until I knew the first episode was being filmed before I released them. This season, I believe Travis’ name was leaked early as well as Doug’s. I can’t control what other sites do, so, it’s just my personal preference to not release them until I know filming has started.
__________________________________________________________

Reality Steve,

Your website rocks, so all the haters out there can suck it. Also was wondering since you write about reality tv, how come you don’t write about BL and battle of the Exes? Those are pretty well watched shows and get a lot of attention. Readers would love to know the info on these shows.

Comment: I honestly don’t think there’s anything funny to write about “Biggest Loser.” You read any recap on this site, and it’s a very snarky, satirical look at these reality shows. I’m not gonna sit here and make fun of a bunch of people trying to change their lives by dropping 100 lbs. I applaud them. “Biggest Loser” is a completely different reality show than the “Bachelor.” BL is actually trying to improve people’s lives. “The Bachelor?” Well, we all know what smut that’s become and what a bunch of famewhores a lot of them have turned into.

We did have a writer for the RW/RR Challenge that covered last season and he was good. I just chose not to bring it back this year for no other reason than that show just has too niche of an audience and wasn’t widely known in the reality TV world. Had nothing to do with Kasey Taylor and his writings, I just decided to take that show off the list of ones covered by this site.
__________________________________________________________

Hi Steve I have a couple questions about the dates.

Who chooses who goes on which dates (1 on 1, group, etc) each week? The bachelor/bachelorette or the producers?

Who designs the date, where they go, what they do? Does the bachelor/bachelorette say, “I would really like to take a helicopter to the top of a mountain and have a picnic” or does the show set it up?

Who chooses the cities/countries they go to?

Comment: The producers choose basically everything on this show. The lead doesn’t have much of a say in anything. You sign on the dotted line to be on this show, you are pretty much at the mercy of the producers from beginning of filming to the end.

1. cammie99

April 12, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Jovismom or Dianne, which of you two sent in this gem?

“Seriously Steve, the haters on your comment board are taking all the fun away from reading the comments sections. I’d love to be able to read and share comments with others regarding the shows and the spoilers you provide instead of listening to these whiners bitch and complain about you and what you do. Don’t know if there is anything you can do about them. I know you choose to ignore them, but it really does take away the fun for some of us.”

The funniest thing about this….Steve wrote 4 paragraphs in response. LMAO!

2. CaliGirl

April 12, 2012 at 3:39 PM

I actually liked how he handled that response, though. He’s right in that the “haters” are actually bringing more traffic to his site and thus more $ in his pocket.

I’m thinking the length of his responses really depend on the mood he’s in at the time. I have sent him questions that I thought have been decent and have gotten no respose. Then I see him answer other questions on here that have been answered multiple times. (in today’s column- someone asked if the lead has any say in the dates and he actually answered it without being sarcastic! wow!)

3. cammie99

April 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM

Caligirl: Regarding your last sentence, I noticed the very same thing. Some days RS will blast people for asking about the wet driveway or how the lead remembers names in the rose ceremony, and other days he will quite politely answer questions regarding who sets up the dates and if the show is scripted.

To quote Tom Hanks, “you never know what you’re gonna get”!

4. aatxcutie

April 12, 2012 at 4:24 PM

@Cammie, it couldn’t have been Dianne. Not enough CAPS used to make her point.

5. aatxcutie

April 12, 2012 at 4:39 PM

Ok RS, I call bullsh*t on the 4 paragraphs about haters. Webmaster my a$$.

And I don’t mind the few cents I’m donating by coming here a few times a week to be called a loser and an idiot. I’m just waiting for the implode when ABC wins.

6. FanofSteve

April 12, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I’m calling “B.S.” on that last Dr. Reality Steve letter.

First, the writer says she’s recently “been corresponding privately with a male co-worker” – then, at the end of her post, says “I am a stay at home mom and feel very stuck here.”

I’m surprised that Steve didn’t pick up on that.

7. duckquack

April 13, 2012 at 12:09 AM

the good reality doctor can’t see all that when he is the writer as well….things get confusing having to play 2 personalities.

8. aatxcutie

April 13, 2012 at 8:54 AM

LMAO @duckquack!

He didn’t miss a beat on the one about the haters though, did he duck?

9. cammie99

April 13, 2012 at 9:05 AM

RS said: …. “But I don’t really read the comments so I have no idea what’s being said.”

Then he said: …. “I don’t read it, so frankly, I don’t concern myself with it.”

So which is it? You don’t read the comments or you don’t REALLY read the comments?

10. Amy

April 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM

Good lord, you guys are relentless. Do any of you write a blog that I could leave comments at? I don’t really care who or what you are talking about. I wouldn’t even call myself a fan. It’s just that the general tone in the room is really biatchy and it does rub the average reader the wrong way. Sorry, but it’s true.

11. aatxcutie

April 13, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Snarky are we Amy? 🙂

Hey Steve, how come you haven’t already posted Emily’s new Bachelorette picture? Everyone else has.

12. aatxcutie

April 13, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Here’s the picture link.

13. theperminator

April 13, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Love the site, but the best recap you’ll ever read about The Bachelor (ette and Pad) is http://www.notesfromahack.com. It’s written by a writer for Tosh.0 and is the ONLY way i can tolerate watching the show – knowing that I can read what he has to say about it. Too bad he’d never write for Steve!

14. Athena

April 13, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Aatxcutie – and that photo is worth of posting why?…

15. debora123

April 13, 2012 at 8:23 PM

Haha, the funniest thing about all this is the fact that the “haters” are actually contributing to Steve’s income by being bitches on his message board. 😀

That just goes to show how stupid these people are, but hey, I’m not complaining. More money for Steve means more spoilers for me!

Best of luck Steve!

16. duckquack

April 14, 2012 at 12:27 AM

look at that, he sends the kids to read the tabloids at an airport, new show coming next week…..olivia lost a tooth and now reading tabloids, new show in the making…dear uncle stevey, can i get a donation button too.

17. bigfatwoman

April 14, 2012 at 8:10 AM

…so I just read Steve’s reply to the “poster” asking about all the haters on the message board……and I’m wondering….

In his reply Steve says, “yes, they are all low lifes”….and I’m wondering how someone who has continuously (BRM – before requesting money) berated his readers… can now call other people that berate him….”low lifes?” Huh?

The problem with you Steve, is that you are offensively arrogant….and thus, those of us who recognize that….speak our mind.

I have never once read a contrite comment by you. But now that you need financial help, the edge to the arrogance is missing.

You’ve lost the likability factor.

18. aatxcutie

April 14, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Agree BFW, great post.

LMAO @Debora123 calling us stupid … do you know how little income is actually generated by my one little hit a day?

If you want more money for Steve, hit that slick little DONATE button. My guess is you can’t afford to. If you haven’t noticed it yet, his informers have dried up and Steve is running scared. That’s why we HAVE NO SPOILERS!!!

19. duckquack

April 14, 2012 at 11:11 PM

he can’t pay up so the spoilers cut him off…the little pyramid is crashing.

20. cubsfan2785

April 16, 2012 at 2:36 PM

I completely agree with these “haters”- he is a douche. I am going to keep reading bc I am interested in his spoilers ONLY. I don’t care about his personal agenda or his snooty comments.
    Steve, since you’re not really reading this, I also wanted to let you know I was going to donate to your legal fund, until you made fun of an email I sent in. Every heard of the expression “don’t bite the hand that feeds”?

21. dreamchi

April 16, 2012 at 3:54 PM

just checking in for my occasional mental health rounds on this blog-o-locos comment board. at superficial glance i’d say that the obsessed haters seem to be outnumbering the love stalkers at this point. but, is it really the case? too many comments with very similar sentiments & writing styles leads me to believe that the hate-stalkers, whether one or more in number, are likely signing in under multiple names. probably too embarrassed to be up front about how insanely obsessed with this tv show blog they as they would come across if they posted all their comments under just one name. sorry kids. even under multiple names the craziness comes through clear as could be due to your irrationally & extraordinarily venomous, obsessed hatred with a silly blog about a tv show, & your obsessive- compulsive need to return & return & return to a blog you say you hate only to read & read & read & comment & comment & comment on it. kind of pathetic, peeps. this is kind of sad. some of you seem like genuinely mean people. what’s up? are you longing for that mean girls club you made your home in in grammar school or high school that gave you such a feeling of power & ego boost at the time, but can’t seem to get any adults to play along, so you resort to trying to recreating it on a silly tv show blog? sorry, haters. your behavior is pretty sad. counseling is in order. haven’t seen quite as much crazy from the lovers this time around so i’ll give ’em a pass today. counseling, people. this is just a silly blog about a crappy tv show. steve is not your firstborn child (lovers), nor your sworn enemy (haters). this is just an entertainment sight, kids. 1 – chill out & get a life. 2 – counseling. good luck, all. btw you silly grammar nuts, this is not a thesis, this is a comment on a silly tv show blog comment board. paragraph, punctuation, etc. not worth bothering with. maybe you’d be happy with a nice editing job? haha. counseling, people.

22. cammie99

April 16, 2012 at 4:51 PM

Dreamchi = definitely one of RS’s immediate family.

23. CaliGirl

April 16, 2012 at 5:12 PM

Dreamchi, I agree that this site (or “sight” as you called it) should be just for entertainment purposes and that some people take it way too seriously. I am not a RS “hater” or “lover,” I simply come to this blog for the spoilers and recaps. In my opinion, RS provides mindless entertainment. Lately, the comments section has been more entertaining than the blog. I hope that once Emily’s season gets closer, he’ll have more spoilers and be back to the snarky, witty (and yes, sometimes arrogant) RS that attracted so many fans/readers in the first place.

“paragraph, punctuation, etc. not worth bothering with” Really? Okay, maybe. But it does make it way easier to follow and read your thoughts if you can break up your rambling with a few paragraphs. And while I am not the grammar police by any means, it is a pet peeve of mine when someone is intending to prove a point or insult someone and uses horrible spelling or grammar. It only makes them look like a complete moron.

Also, in my experience with most people, usually the one saying “you need counseling” should be pointing his/her finger at the mirror. Sorry, but it’s the truth. Then again- couldn’t we all use some therapy in our lives? After all, who doesn’t feel better after a good vent every now and then? 🙂

24. cammie99

April 16, 2012 at 5:36 PM

@Cubsfan: you said: “This is the reason I don’t like Steve: he mocks people for asking the same questions over and over. How the hell am I supposed to know that some person asked this same question I have 3 years ago?”

Because, Cubsfan, we are all supposed to have read every syllable of every word that RS has ever written on his entire website since it’s inception. 😉

Since RS refuses to create a Frequently Asked Questions section (which is a very logical idea), one can only surmise that he wants to continue receiving these redundant questions so that he can continue blasting his readers in his responses.

And we, in return, will blast back via the comments section. 🙂

25. aatxcutie

April 16, 2012 at 6:40 PM

@dreamchi you’re still too long-winded – take that post down to 100 words or less and maybe we’ll start reading yours. Understanding it is another thing.

Talk about irrational, you’re all over that babe!

26. rollingeyes

April 17, 2012 at 10:57 AM

Ha ha ha ha ha!!! What goes around comes around. Those stupid Bachelor producers that are suing RS because of his silly little blog are now going ot be sued themselves for RACISM!!!! Poetic Justice.

27. bigfatwoman

April 17, 2012 at 2:18 PM

@dreamchi

Count me in as a hater, but only since Steve became an ungrateful a** and added an obnoxious Donate button.

Also, I have one user name and one only.

You need to get laid girl.

28. liz123

April 17, 2012 at 2:49 PM

@dreamchi, it’s very hard to read your comment because you don’t use punctuation properly, you don’t capitalize words, & you don’t start new paragraphs with new thoughts. I don’t wanna be the grammar police, but I would like to understand what you’re trying to say.

On my life, I have one screen name & one screen name only. Maybe the “haters'” writing style seems very similar to you because we all use punctuation correctly & we capitalize words appropriately. Just a thought.

29. aatxcutie

April 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM

What @liz123 said.

30. cammie99

April 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Liz said: “On my life, I have one screen name & one screen name only. Maybe the “haters’” writing style seems very similar to you because we all use punctuation correctly & we capitalize words appropriately. Just a thought.”

This. Or perhaps because we’re able to form intelligent thoughts backed by logical reasoning as opposed to simply jumping on the I heart RS bandwagon.

31. cammie99

April 17, 2012 at 6:58 PM

BTW, isn’t today Tuesday? Where is the Tuesday blog?

32. mommyof2

April 17, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Haven’t checked this site in awhile, but saw the news that The Bachelor/ette franchise, ABC, and Mike Fleiss are all being sued by 2 people for racism. Wonder if they’ll drop their lawsuit against RS to focus their dollars on the suit against them? Time will tell. Looking forward to Emily’s season, and hoping the spoilers will be up soon.

33. mja

April 18, 2012 at 8:17 AM

mommyof2, I see that RS tweeted about that lawsuit yesterday. Now it’s in the national news sites as well.

34. mommyof2

April 18, 2012 at 8:26 AM

@mja I’ve been out of the loop lately! I should’ve known he’d know that before me. Oh, well. I haven’t been here since Ben’s dreadful season ended, so I haven’t caught up on RS’s posts. It looks like it’s just about sightings and photos of Emily and the guys, so maybe I’ll wait until the spoilers come out and just read those. I’m excited to see Emily’s season and what RS finds out about it. I hope Fleiss and Co. drop their lawsuit against RS to focus on this other one against them. Talk about bad Karma!

35. aatxcutie

April 18, 2012 at 8:53 AM

ABC has very big pockets, they’re not going to drop the lawsuit against Steve just because they are being sued now for something completely different. They want Steve to stop posting and spoiling the show – that’s why they filed a suit against him.

36. aatxcutie

April 18, 2012 at 8:56 AM

@Cammie, where is anything? Steve hasn’t posted a word since his Wednesday night dealio.

37. maxi

April 18, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Hey Steve, why no spoilers?? It is actually pretty funny how arrogant-Steve has stooped to taking all his info from better sites, or other people’s twitter accounts. Hmmm, I think we can do that ourselves! That is not a “spoiler”;))

38. cammie99

April 18, 2012 at 10:38 AM

@aatxcutie: maybe he went on vacation? It’s been at least 2 weeks since his last so he’s overdue for some R&R!

39. aatxcutie

April 18, 2012 at 11:39 AM

@Cammie99 – I do recall him saying something about a tropical vacation place – I guess Thursday night he’ll probably surface to do his video blog. Maybe from Tahiti?

40. mja

April 18, 2012 at 1:13 PM

@mommyof2, I haven’t been here very much lately myself. No real reason to… but I look now and then for an update.

41. wvgal

April 18, 2012 at 2:09 PM

I go away for a couple of weeks and look what happens! This blog and its commenters (of which I am a new one) completely morphs. First, no spoilers, second, lots of “negative” comments that I view as positive, and a lawyer or some such person somewhere out there, cussing his brains out on RS’s behalf.

Three observations: Those of you who say things like, “Haha, RS says he’s making more money when the haters post, neener neener,” need to get something straight. Nowhere have aatxcutie or others said they want to spoil things for RS. They are simply here posting their opinions and good for them because, without those opinions, this blog would be deathly boring due to the lack of spoilers and good RS writing.

Second, regarding the “donate” button: The way I view it is that RS is asking not for people to support his lifestyle, but rather to acknowledge the entertainment value of this blog, and the fact the lawsuit flies in the face of free speech. That said, having been a quite-successful blogger at one point in time, I could never chat about how I was travelling here and there if some generous soul had given money to my cause. It doesn’t sit well with me at all. Use your personal funds up first and then make use of a donate button.

Third, I never reached blogging heights due to my subject matter, but I was making $300 or so a month – a drop in the hat. However, I met many bloggers during that time and some were doing very well at it. Each and every one of us read the comments. Of course we read them! Those comments were a bellwether for the all-important opinions of our readers. So I do not believe for one minute that RS doesn’t read them (Hi Steve!)

IMHO, the gentleman who is running the RS petition and blogging about the commenters here needs to step back and look at what is really happening. No good spoilers, RS showing videos of children (far too many of whom I can check out every day at the mall), no meaty posts about anything. If it weren’t for the “haters” as they are called, then I for one would go away and likely stay away…and I’m a fan. It’s my guess that RS knows this only too well and is stepping back a little to let this new form of entertainment (and number of hits) play out, while he searches for spoilers.

42. wvgal

April 18, 2012 at 2:35 PM

..and one more thing, in case my comment up there wasn’t long enough, never is it acceptable to call out or put down a reader for asking a simple question, however sarcastic and sophomoric you may be. Readers are your life blood and all of them merit respect. Amen. Back to work.

43. cammie99

April 18, 2012 at 4:53 PM

@wvgal: thumbs up to both your posts!

44. CaliGirl

April 18, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Well put, wvgal. I also agree with you 100% that RS reads the comments. I don’t know any blogger that doesn’t. This isn’t the greatest analogy, I know, but in a way it’s similar to Facebook. Who posts updates on FB and then doesn’t go back and read the comments?

By the way, for everyone wondering when the next column will be, RS tweeted earlier today that there will be a column tomorrow. I’m hoping it has some spoilers that haven’t already been posted on other sites. I hope his sources are still coming through for him and that he beats everyone else to the punch by spoiling the entire season. As arrogant as Steve may be, he has provided me with tons of entertainment about this show over the years and I still would take his side over ABC’s any day.

45. wvgal

April 18, 2012 at 5:45 PM

@CaliGirl. I agree. I think we all agree, since we’re posting here. I have been greatly entertained by RS, laughed myself silly over some of his writing, after a very stressful day. So I hope he comes back swinging (and is a little less mean to some of his readers…)

46. Athena

April 18, 2012 at 7:13 PM

Does anyone know if there wasn’t a column earlier this week because of travel/vacation plans or perhaps because Steve’s sources are drying up because of the lawsuit?

No matter how we feel about Steve’s attitudes, etc. is there anyone here who truly wishes that he won’t be able to continue to spoil the Bachelor franchise with his material?

47. thebatchie

April 18, 2012 at 9:07 PM

Hellooo Steve. U must get sick of this, but I just have to tell you how f…in hard you make me laugh. I come to your site to read what you say about the contestants….and I gotta tell ya, you kill me! The rant you went off on about Lindsay one of Batchie Bens last chicks…and her what did u call them…? Her girl birds showing when her dress blew up…..ha ha ha. Love the slanted sophmoric take on this gig. Glad you make money on it. Can’t wait to hear what you say about the manly men and the southern bell Emily…thanks for being funny. Love it.

48. carol1975

April 19, 2012 at 6:04 AM

I have been following Steve for a while, and I could see his attitude slowly getting more obnoxious every day. I sent him a few emails telling him to be nicer to his loyal readers, only to receive a nasty response, including an “I blame your parents” rant. I then started posting in the comments section, way before the “haters” starting to do so too, only to be bullied by the likes of Dianne and her crew of Steve groupies, for having an opinion that was different than theirs.
    I totally agree and side with the “haters”. I think Steve could use some lessons in humility, especially if he needs to keep and increment the number of fans.
    That being said, please guys don’t be such bullies and slump to Steve’s and his zealot’s level. It defeats the whole purpose of our criticism. I understand the need to defend yourselves when you get absurd accusations, but calling people names doesn’t help to prove our point.

49. aatxcutie

April 19, 2012 at 7:14 AM

@Carol – that’s the exact time my feathers got ruffled, is when he blamed our parents for our stupidity. I don’t think he realizes how many of us are very well educated and have wonderful parents – most of us write better than he attempts to. I was super offended by that comment and his email to us personally. “Just go the f*ck away already” was no way to respond to a personal email to him.

50. rollingeyes

April 19, 2012 at 8:05 AM

At the risk of all the wrath of the haters who like to comment here, I just want to point out that long-time readers might realize that in between seasons, the spoilers usually dry up a bit and RS doesn’t blog as much. As the current season that is filming starts winding down, he will start posting more of the spoilers he’s been gathering. Just have patience. Now, go ahead and disagree and tell me what an idiot I am.