Bachelorette Emily Spoilers

Emily’s Final Four & My Thoughts on the Racial Discrimination Lawsuit Against ABC

Lets start off with the whole Arie Luyendyk/racing angle. Look, I know the racing that Arie was involved in (Indy Car) is different than the racing world Emily was involved in (NASCAR) but don’t think for a second Emily isn’t well aware of the Luyendyk name. Please. Her in-laws are the Hendricks of Hendricks Motorsports. You bet your ass the Hendricks are very well aware of the Luyendyk family. Am I saying Emily knew Arie before the show? No. Am I saying she had met/spoken to/texted Arie before the show? No. What I am here to tell you is that when Arie shows up the first night on this show, and whenever Emily realizes he is Arie Luyendyk Jr., she is well aware of the family name. That is all. I will leave it up to the tabloids to start their digging to see if they can ever place Emily and Arie at the same place at the same time somewhere in the past. I have no idea. She probably didn’t ever meet the guy previously, but my point is, you know damn well she knows who the Luyendyk family is.

Another interesting twist to Arie being on the show. When you google him, on the very first page, you will find a picture of him with someone very familiar in the “Bachelor” franchise.

__________________________________________________

That woman is Cassie Lambert, and she is the main producer for the lead of this show. She’s the one that is the leads right-hand woman and travels with them everywhere and is at every media appearance they make. According to the website the picture came from (where it specifically calls Cassie Arie’s girlfriend), Cassie and Arie dated back in 2003. So it’s nothing recent, and I’m not insinuating something is going between them because Cassie is engaged to one of the other producers on the show, but that’s not the point. Cassie is very much involved in the casting process of this show, and I’m assuming she remained friends with Arie through the years. It’s not like Arie shows up in a limo the first night and Cassie was like, “Oh crap, my ex-boyfriend is on the show.” Please. Cassie was very well aware of who Arie was obviously and his inclusion on the show. My point being, why is someone who is friends with a main producer on the show being cast in the first place, let alone someone who was an ex-boyfriend? Even if Cassie thought to herself, “Hey, I think Arie would be great for Emily. Maybe I should call and see if he’s interested,” is that something the show really needs to do? I thought they prided themselves on how good they were at casting people for their lead. Now they’re asking members of production if they know anyone? Or even if Arie called Cassie and said, “Hey, I’ve always liked that Emily girl. Get me on the show.” Just seems to me that Arie had somewhat of an unfair advantage. Then again, there’s nothing fair whatsoever about this show, so maybe I’m the idiot here.

I’m just saying, doesn’t this all seem a little fishy to you? You can’t cast a single eligible African-American candidate for the last 8 seasons, but you can cast a main producer’s ex-boyfriend, who’s now in the final four? Uh huh. Ok. This show is becoming a mockery of itself. I mean, I know they’re supposed to trick their whole audience into believing this show is real, but I’d say this looks awfully suspicious. Emily has a background in the racing world, they cast a guy who also has a background in the racing world, he’s in the final four, we see pictures of them very cozy in Prague on their 1-on-1 date, and we know Emily’s dating history of guys that have some sort of “name” value. Athletes, musicians, restauranteurs, etc. Hey, just sayin. If I had to lay money down right now, I’d say there’s not a chance in hell Jef, Sean, and Chris stand a chance and Emily will pick Arie. Still a couple weeks left in filming, and anything can happen, but I’m telling you, I think she’s gonna pick this guy. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong. We will see.

So at this point, I’ve been able to identify 14 of the 25 guys. Still don’t know Michael’s last name, or Charlie’s, but I know what they look like. I’m sure I’ll get them at some point, but since neither of them even made it to Czech Republic, it’s not like they’re all that important to the show. ABC has said they will release all the bios and photos of the guys on May 4th and promos will begin airing this Monday during “DWTS.” As with every season, the more promos they run, the more they spoil their own show.

A couple other things that I’ll tease you with and answer for you tonight during the live video blog:

-Which one of Emily’s guys had never even seen the show before and had no clue who Emily was when he applied?

-Which one of Emily’s guys is the “emotional crier” this season?

See you tonight for the live video blog at 9PM EST/6PM PST. If you still want to send in a “Reader Email,” or have a question for “Dr. Reality Steve,” send your emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you tonight.

1. canada girl

April 19, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Well from the final four, just seeing photos, I like Sean and Chris. I have a feeling she will choose Arie!

2. Nobody

April 19, 2012 at 9:59 AM

For what its worth, there was a black woman on Matt Grants season as the bachelor. She lasted a few weeks, but it was evident early on she wasn’t going to last.

It wasn’t because she was black either. Many white men simply aren’t attracted to black women (unless they’re as hot as Halle Berry, but even that isn’t automatic). It is what it is.

Matt just wasn’t into the chick… end of story.

3. Nobody

April 19, 2012 at 10:03 AM

Marshana was her name…..

4. CaliGirl

April 19, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Thanks for giving us the final 4 before it even films, Steve. Awesome. I agree that ABC’s statement about the lawsuit is ridiculous. How can they say that the racial discrimination one is baseless and not see how the one against you is baseless?

5. BrookeC

April 19, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Christ on a cracker….The second I read the guys last name i said “Winner”. We may give Emily crap, but what she is not, is dumb. She knows where her bread is buttered and this guy can’t NOT win at this point.

6. c104

April 19, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Thanks for the final four, Steve. Great work.

Arie feels like a total setup by the producers. For that reason alone, I hope she doesn’t “choose” him. It’s hard to say if any are likable, but I’d go with Chris.

7. lorddabber

April 19, 2012 at 10:46 AM

10 / 624 is .016 — which is 1.6% — not .02%

8. JovisMom

April 19, 2012 at 10:47 AM

About the new law suit, we don’t know what questions they ask the lead about what kind of man/woman they want to meet. Things like race, religion, kids, politics, smoking/drinking habits are important to people. What if Emily (or whoever else) stated they aren’t attracted and would not date a black person? I am white and Catholic, I would not date a black man or an Athiest. There is nothing wrong with that.

9. DallasMs

April 19, 2012 at 10:51 AM

Nobody, Glad you remembered Marshana’s name. It would have driven me crazy trying to remember it. How can anyone forget her? She was the bitch of that season. There was one bachelorette that she had an ax to grind with and went AT it with her! I was very glad to see her booted. She definitely was impressed with herself.

10. lorddabber

April 19, 2012 at 10:52 AM

I’m an atheist – and I won’t date a Catholic.

11. liz123

April 19, 2012 at 11:20 AM

HaHa, lorddabber! I noticed that too. It looks like Steve rounded up the .016 to .02, but still .02% is a lot different that 2%! That’s elementary math right there. Holy cow.

I’m glad Steve spoiled the final four for ABC, but it’s sentences like this that drive me absolutely crazy: “At that point they were in Croatia and I said that I didn’t know where their next location was, but that they were either staying in Croatia, they were going somewhere else, or they’d be in Madrid”. Well, hell, that narrows it down to… I don’t know… ANYWHERE IN THE FREAKING WORLD! As it turns out, they went to Prague. Steve, just say that you don’t/ didn’t know, for Pete’s sake!

12. dreamchi

April 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM

hahahahahhahahhahhahahahha. so glad those guys are suing this pos racist show. while in the scheme of things the bachelor show is strictly trash & b.s. and there are certainly and endless number of instances of racial discrimination that are more relevant to the well being of all concerned than this particular one, racism sucks wherever you find it and racist a-holes should be called on their s in whatever slimy cesspool they happen to exist. there’s no shortage of what to distain about the bachelor franchise but the blatant racism has to be the worst element (in my opinion, though there’s plenty of additional crap on the show to compete for the position of “worst element.”) if these a-holes want to produce a racist show that caters to a racist audience for whatever pathetic racist reason, no problem. just conduct it on a kkk compound where it belongs, and not on national tv. anybody who fails to appreciate the beauty, awesomeness & humanity of good people of any racial or ethnic background is a complete imbecile, and… yeah… this show is all by, for and about imbeciles, but that’s still no excuse. i hope these footballers kick some bachelor ass and i hope a large group joins them to participate in the suit. it’s about time.

13. liz123

April 19, 2012 at 11:36 AM

On the issue of ABC’s racism, I think I’d really have to know how many people applied to know whether or not they were motivated by racism. I mean, maybe only 5% of all people that apply to be on the show actually get cast. And of that 5% that apply, maybe only 10% are minorities. In that case, it wouldn’t be that far fetched an idea that not that many minorities would be cast even if they weren’t racists. KWIM?

Example: I’m sure thousands applied for Emily’s season. They’re going to narrow it down to the “best” 25 HOPEFULLY based on career, values, personality, etc. If only a small percentage of the people who applied were minorities then the odds of one of them being the best 25 in career, values, & personality aren’t that great. I don’t know. Again, I’d have to see their actual #s of total applicants & minority applicants to know where I stood.

14. JovisMom

April 19, 2012 at 11:39 AM

@ dreamchi – I really want to read what you are saying but it so hard to follow your thoughts. Could you please try and use paragraphs.

15. wvgal

April 19, 2012 at 11:50 AM

@dreamchi, do you actually breathe when you type? The show caters to white “middle class America.” That is its demographic and it has been stated here numerous times. It does not mean that Fleiss (fool as he may be) et al are racist or are failing to “appreciate the beauty, awesomeness & humanity of good people of any racial or ethnic background.”

I am quite sure preferences come up on the copious forms the lead fills in. Many people prefer to date within their ethnic, social and religious group – and why not? Many also like to date outside of their ethnic, social and religious group. This does not make the former group racist. If Emily chose to date only well-off white men, then that is her right.

@lorddabbler haha! Yes, it takes all types to make a world 🙂 Screaming “racism” while watching a show targeted towards the middle majority weakens true racism, which is an insult to every human being.

Off to read Steve’s column. I’m so glad he’s back! Can’t wait to see who those final four are.

16. BrookeForester

April 19, 2012 at 12:04 PM

They claim it is a “civil rights issue” in their lawsuit. I think the men and women who initially fought for civil rights are rolling in their graves.

Bachelor shows such as Flavor Flav, For the Love of Ray J, Real Chance, I Love NY, etc.

It’s an ENTERTAINMENT show; they go by the demographics.

I am going to start suing everyone who tells a blonde joke.

17. BrookeForester

April 19, 2012 at 12:07 PM

One more thing…. Steve, you have a blog for entertainment purposes, can you imagine being sued by everyone that you insult? Entertainment is entertainment and if you don’t want to read it or watch it, then don’t.

18. JovisMom

April 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM

The thing is it’s only an issue because they are trying to get rich quick, let’s just face the facts. So if a girl weighs 200lbs has tons (pun not intended) of experience waiting tables and does for whatever reason doesn’t get a job at her local Hooters does that give her right to sue? It’s the show’s decision who to put on the show. Maybe those guys didn’t have “it” or wouldn’t make for good TV. I really think this case will get thrown out.

19. denise

April 19, 2012 at 1:02 PM

Maybe one of the reasons that there haven’t been many african american men/women on the show is the “Leads” preference. I’m sure when they select the Lead they then ask what their preferences are and select the men/women based on the interview questions. Just my take, but I don’t believe there is any discrimination. I am surprised though it’s taken this long for someone to bring up a lawsuit of race discrimination.

20. nodrog

April 19, 2012 at 1:08 PM

I think the racism lawsuit is interesting. Even in this day and age, interracial dating is not common (though, of course, much more common and societally accepted than it used to be!) and certainly looked down upon by racists/conservatives. It’s legal, sure, but not accepted by some people.

So to cast a non-white lead brings up a host of problems for ABC. Will they receive flack from conservative viewers? Will they need to have a higher percentage of contestants of color? Are there conservatives in the ABC leadership and investor community, or advertiser base, that would be pissed and withdraw support if the final 2 had the potential to be interracial? Personally, I’m glad to see the lawsuit and look forward to a more diverse Bachelor/ette. But it definitely does mean pushing a social/cultural boundary in a way we haven’t often seen on TV. I’m unsurprised they haven’t chosen to do it and are now, likely, going to be legally forced to do so.

21. caitlyn

April 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM

aarrgh! Looks like Emily will stay with what she loves, big money atheletes and the racing world. So disappointed, Arie may be a great guy, but he has player written all over him, and not step daddy! We don’t know any of the guys, but Ryan Bowers seemd like the guy for her, imo. good christian values, coaches kids football, etc.close to NC and drop dead gorgeous. But t don’t think he has enough cah for Emily’s taste – he’s too normal. Glad he escaped. Would love him for the bachehor. The Hendricks would probably love to have another big name driver associated with them, even if it’s not Nascar. ugh. May not watch. Chris B. seems too normal for her too and he seems nice from the date pictures. Or could this be a set up Arie for the next bachelor? This show is so phony.

22. Vanilla Thunder

April 19, 2012 at 1:35 PM

I am interested to find out how the plaintiffs and their lawyers plan on proving discrimination. Not that I don’t believe the show discriminates against minorities, but how are they going to prove it? It will be tough, and unless they have some kind of documentation of discrimination or racism, I don’t think the case will go far.

It looks bad on the surface for ABC/The Bachelor, since very few of the contestants have been non-white. But to prove that the show purposely and willfully excluded minorites might be hard to do.

In any case, I wish the plaintiffs luck with their case. I don’t know if it will increase the number of minorities on the show or not, but maybe ABC/The Bachelor will have a non-white lead sometime soon just so they can say
    “Look, here’s a minority lead on our show! We’re not racist at all! See?” And if so, that may open things up a little more, in regards to diversity. Then again, it could be that nothing will change. We’ll see.

23. penguinfan01

April 19, 2012 at 3:33 PM

This is just an observation, but Ricky Hendricks was blonde and good looking, I’m thinking she may go for a blonde guy, she already has money from the Hendricks family. Also, regarding ABC, I wonder how many people they have paid off for their silence, like out of the US, and in the Caribbean nations. Isn’t that like what they are accusing RS of doing for info. They need to be cut down in their tracks. I wonder why a Constitution Lawyer wouldn’t take this case pro bono for the publicity. They are trying to deny the Constitution’s right to free speech. If I could afford it, I would pay for Steve’s legal expenses because I would like to stop them from “bullying”.

24. loca4linda2

April 19, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I thought the producers chose the types of individuals that the Bachelor/Bachelorette are attracted to and interested in. Maybe the previous contestants didn’t want to date outside of their race?

25. wvgal

April 19, 2012 at 5:13 PM

It will certainly be interesting to watch as it progresses (the suit) @BrookeForrester @JovisMom, you are spot on. @Brooke hahaha yes to the blonde jokes… or to being called a “limey” or whatever. The lead does fill in forms regarding preferences. I believe I read that here.

26. wvgal

April 19, 2012 at 5:16 PM

Steve needs a forum. It would be so much fun.

27. sarcasm

April 19, 2012 at 8:03 PM

For being the most popular bachelorette, they sure had to dig to the bottom of the barrel for suitors. A producer’s leftovers and a guy that didn’t know who she was? Yeah, sounds like guys were lined up to be on the show.

28. My3girls

April 20, 2012 at 2:16 AM

I haven’t seen every episode, but the last black contestant that I can remember was on the Prince Lorenzo’s season.

Steve, how do you determine which sources are worth revealing right in the middle of your blog and which are guarded? A few times lately you have credited an anonymous blogger or wetpaint.com and included a link to that blog. If someone sends you information and signs it “anonymous” but provides a link as evidence, how do you know that they want a zillion hits on their blog? Perhaps they really want to remain anonymous?

29. rochista

April 20, 2012 at 4:25 AM

Hello. Well done. Some expect this on a Wednesday. This can be a great story. Thanks! Los Gatos Electrical

30. taj0428

April 20, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I have been watching the Bachelor and Bachelorette for years, but am new to this site. I think the racial law suit is a little ridiculous, and it is probably more about personal preference. I have no issues with people dating outside of their race, which I have done myself in the past. However, I have to say that Caucasians living in the United States take the fall for everything that happened in the history of our country. Interesting, since we weren’t alive when it happened. We have to be so careful about what we say or do that might appear racist, even if we aren’t. If this was an all black show there wouldn’t be a lawsuit. Why aren’t there any lawsuits about Black History Month or Black Entertainment Television? Why does everything have to be about race? The best suited person should be the one chosen for anything, regardless of race, and we as Americans shouldn’t always assume that because there are more of a certain race doing a certain thing, that there is racism involved!!! Am I going to sue the NBA for the exteme amount of black basketball players? I think not—they seem to be better at the sport;)

31. lorddabber

April 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM

I guess ABC was being “gender-ist” when they only had the Bachelor for the first few seasons. Then, they started the Bachelorette and those accusations went away.

If I was the Bachelor, I’d ask that all the ladies be Asian — yes, LordDabber has got the Yellow Fever!

As a final note, I always thought the whole concept of the show was wrong – I mean starting with 25 women and ending with one?? It definitely should be starting with 1 woman and ending with 25!

32. maxi

April 20, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Chris is hot! If he doesn’t get picked by Emily, is should for sure be the next bachelor!!

33. maxi

April 20, 2012 at 2:31 PM

*he*

34. wvgal

April 20, 2012 at 3:12 PM

@lorddabber: You are too funny… I guess grannies could also sue because The Bachelor only recruits younger hopefuls. Pure ageism.

35. windsurfer

April 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Regarding the lack of people of color on the show: Several series ago one of the Bachelorettes participated in choosing the guys who would be trying to win. I can’t recall which woman it was, and they haven’t shown video to suggest that’s still the way contestants are chosen in all cases, but personally I believe that if there’s any real hope that matches will be made and last (which I believe the producers hope for, even if they handle it poorly), it behooves the producers to honor the request of the Bachelor/Bachelorette and choose candidates who fit their preference, i.e., age range, height, etc. It may well be that the Bachelor/Bachelorette are specifically asked if they prefer for the candidates to be of the same ethnic background, or if they are amenable to other ethnic backgrounds. My guess is that the lawsuit will be ruled without merit for precisely this reason.

36. trgiles3

April 21, 2012 at 11:50 PM

Hi Steve,
    I don’t take the Bachelor or Bachelorette show seriously at all. I think it’s fun to watch though. You should absolutely be free to write whatever you want to write.

However, I do want to know if you asked Sean’s sister Shay for permission to post the link to her family blog. Obviously, if you don’t make your blog private then anyone has a right to read it. When I clicked on the link you posted, I didn’t realize I was going to see so many pictures of her children and family. It made me a little nervous for her. My husband works in forensic psychology and I’ve heard all the horror stories. I just hope that you talked to her first before posting that link. No matter how you feel about ABC and their shows, we should always protect children on the internet.

37. JustJenna

April 22, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Well just to make a point I was able to think of somone off the top of my head. Marshana

38. missannmcd

April 23, 2012 at 3:56 PM

There are plenty of TV shows out there with ethnic and gay leads. So what if this show is predominently white.

39. mamaof2

April 24, 2012 at 1:33 PM

@missannmcd – this is exactly what I was thinking ! If black people find this show that casts mostly white people, well then they should have went to shows like “I love New York” starring Tiffany or some other similar dating show currently going on. There were plenty of black men out there competing for her affection on the show. That’s the kind shows they should be applying to …

40. blyth5050

April 29, 2012 at 10:41 PM

in my humble opinion abc is wrong. they tend to speckle a black person or two on each season knowing the white contestant will not pick them. and they never let a black person be the main contestant. i guess they feel we onl want to see caucasion. or that blacks will bring down the ratings. cuz some are kind of animated but so are the whites. its just unfair. there are blacks who can play this phony game of falling in love in five minuts

41. tatyanarae

July 18, 2012 at 8:53 PM

I think Asians should sue also…. and what about gays? there has not a been a gay bachelor or bachelorette? Enough with the BS, black guy is a president!