The Bachelorette 8 - Emily

The Bachelorette Recap Including the “Burning Love” Videos & The Lawsuit is Over

-Usually I never cover what Chris talks about with the lead in the deliberation room because it’s usually a bunch of nothing. Most of the time I even fast forward through it. But since this was our first one of the season, I thought I’d give a listen. Honestly, I was pleasantly surprised with Emily. More than any previous Bachelorette, she seems to speak her mind a lot more. She didn’t give any cliché answers when she was asked about Jef. She flat out said essentially “That p***y has had two chances to tongue me down on a beach and hasn’t done it. I’m pissed.” She admits she gets all giddy around Arie and loves kissing him and called Ryan out for being manipulative. So congrats to Emily for actually being honest. Sure, she may have lied about the whole working out thing, and she certainly lied on Kimmel when she said her mom doesn’t even know the outcome to this season, but still, at least she’s calling guys out for their behavior. We really don’t get to see that all too often from the lead in this show because they want to say all the right things and be liked. When has a lead ever called one of their contestants “manipulative?”

-Rose ceremony time. Doug, Jef, and John are safe with roses. John by default. If you can’t get a rose going up against a guy dressed like Don Johnson who cries and sings Meatloaf, there’s probably not a chance in hell you’ll ever get laid the rest of your life. Emily: “Can’t believe how fast time has gone….never thought I’d have feelings like this early on…this is not something I take lightly…appreciate each of you opening up the way you have…take a guess at what Ricki scored on her math quiz today? She got 10 out of 10. I’m so proud of Ricki tick. The Bermuda housekeeping lady totally didn’t help her either.”

Sean: With him and Jef having 1-on-1 dates next week, I think that’s when the show is going to start taking shape. These first few weeks have been fluff.
Arie: If Arie had never met Cassie Lambert in his life, do you honestly think he’d ever have appeared on this show? Me neither.
Travis: Egg boy really didn’t have much to say this episode. And other than him chucking the egg, have we seen him spend any alone time with Emily?
Chris: “I’m a man! I’m 25! I went to UNLV!”
Ryan: His ssslllloooowwww Southern drawl when he talks almost makes it seem like he’s trying to hypnotize Emily into liking him. Which she most certainly doesn’t. But don’t tell him that. He totes thinks she does. Yes, I said totes. Punch me now.
Kalon: A quiet episode for our narcissistic pig. No worries. He’ll get his next when Emily f-bombs his skinny little ass for calling Ricki baggage.

“Emily, gentlemen, it’s the final rose tonight. When you’re ready. I will try not to laugh uncontrollably when Emily hands out this next rose.”

Alejandro: (Chris Harrison in the corner, “Bhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah!!!!!!!!!!!”)

-Michael and Charlie both eliminated. Nobody is sad or cares. Michael tells us he’s never been in love before. Ah well, it’d make perfect sense then to think you’d come on a nationally televised show to try and fall in love for the first time. Who wouldn’t? At least we can say now after 8 seasons of the Bachelorette, we’ve finally had a contestant who was known much more for their headbands than for anything they said. Did he borrow those headbands from his esthetician or he kept them from the 1980’s? As for Charlie, I was scared that him conducting his final ITM out in the rain would short circuit him and he’d completely fall to the ground like he was shot. I guess the new T-850’s have been programmed to function in water better than their predecessors.

Send all regular and “Dr. Reality Steve” emails to: steve@realitysteve.com. To follow me on Twitter, it’s: www.twitter.com/RealitySteve. Or join my Reality Steve Facebook Fan Page. Talk to you tomorrow in regards to the lawsuit being dismissed.

Page 6 of 6« First...23456

1. cinderelle

June 6, 2012 at 1:34 AM

I am watching so called reality show like zoo, and enjoy it more with knowing the probable ending. Kind of reminds me of childhood. I was reading Agatha Christie´s Ten little niggers in my treehouse and couldn´t help but look at the last few pages because first a) I was dying to know b) I could analyze the drama and observe the most important character during reading.

As we all know, the final three are Arie, Sean and Jef. Jef looks like cute innocent kid, seems truly genuine, whatever that means with person who agrees to find love in front of TV. But Emily looks like his older mature sister and I can´t see them together for more than a lovely playful weekend. She said she wants someone else to be in charge, to be the boss, well, Emmie, Jef is great guy but definitely not a leader.

Sean would be the safe, rational and pleasant choice, he seems like family type, gentleman and good-dad and husband material. Charming, loyal and maybe little bit boring.

But here comes Arie and as we all know, some like it hot. And this guy, despite questionable motives and wild past, has the looks, the disarming charm and the wit. Apparently good kisser, which helps too. Loads of passion, tons of romance but I cannot see him settling down. But his editing so far is picture perfect, so maybe he is the final choice, after all, women tend to pick the same types of men. Or racerboys.

I´m also pleasantly suprised by Emily´s behavior so far, especially being quite honest. From Brad season, I remember her like a plain sweetie lacking any personality with tragic past and fake boobs, but now she is very interesting lead.

I would also love to get some new info about Bachelor Pad Cast. Summer is coming and some guilty pleasure will be needed.-)

2. healersdaughter

June 6, 2012 at 1:40 AM

Unfortunately, I grew up around guys like Ryan, who mix their definition of masculinity with Christianity and sexism, and are far more interested in themselves than the people around them.

More importantly: her body language shows that she feels threatened by him and insecure, not valued. Does he not see how weird that is?

Despite Steve’s beliefs about him, Arie seems much more genuine about him. And dude, lay off the man. Sure, he knew his past would be dug up if he went on the show, but crowing about a man’s personal conquests after a breakup is NOT classy. Stop digging for dirt where there isn’t any, and find out if there are any REAL stories (i.e. guys being dishonest NOW about what they are CURRENTLY doing, or did while on the show).

3. healersdaughter

June 6, 2012 at 1:41 AM

* sorry, added a random “about him” after “genuine.” Unneeded.

4. mich802

June 6, 2012 at 5:26 AM

I just want to know who she ends up with. Happy it won’t be Chris or Ryan.

5. readformindlessentertainmentandnothingelse

June 6, 2012 at 6:29 AM

@aatxcutie, thanks for that info! Wonder if said contestant was Holly, you know there was that Twitter thing a while back where someone asked why RS didn’t like her and she said because she wouldn’t give him info,…wonder if she’s the one that let the cat out of the bag about his methods.

6. Dianne

June 6, 2012 at 7:35 AM

@readfor – that wouldn’t surprise me one bit. I can just see Holly linking up with Jesse C (who Steve also detests), and blowing the whistle on him to ABC.

7. liz123

June 6, 2012 at 7:45 AM

@scavanau, who cares about the spoilers? I’d say the large majority of people who read this blog read it for the spoilers & only the spoilers. A lot of you continue to ask why the “whiners” keep coming back if we don’t love RS’s recaps- well, the spoilers are your answer. It doesn’t seem like it’s that difficult a concept to me. Please, post in this comment section if you don’t care one bit about getting spoilers. I’d love to see how many of you there are. I’m willing to bet there aren’t too many.

@Maxi, you’re totally entitled to your opinion on Doug & I respect that. I was just stating my own. I know that he is a favorite of a lot of people, so you’re not alone in your thinking. I just don’t personally see it… But then again if we all had the same taste in men there’d be a lot of single people in the world! 😀

8. cammie99

June 6, 2012 at 8:33 AM

readformindless… said:

I concur! Great observation!

9. Cndgirl

June 6, 2012 at 9:07 AM

Umm @cinderelle I’m pretty sure that’s not the name of Agatha Christies book, and I sincerely hope some weird spellcheck accidentally put that in and you didn’t mean to write that….!!!!!!

10. addicted2rs

June 6, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Question, what is Bachelor Augusta?

Observation: Brad said he nearly went broke buying Emily expensive gifts – jewelry, shoes etc… so she wants a man who can afford to buy her gifts and treat her like a princess. Who wouldn’t want that? ABC cast her a bunch of guys that do not fit that bill, but Arie does.

11. liz123

June 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM

HaHaHa, @Cndgirl, I noticed that too, but cinderelle’s post was so weird with random words stuck in, words missing, & partial sentences that I’m praying she’s either on a smartphone & doesn’t proofread or she’s on drugs. Are there any other explanations for a post so weird?! But then again what phone changes “indians” (which is what she must have meant) to THAT word?!?! Scary post, honestly.

12. qqqq

June 6, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Scary? That is in fact the original title of the book, which even 10 seconds of research would show you if you didn’t know, before insulting someone and saying they are on drugs!

13. JovisMom

June 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM

@ qqqq – Ha! Learn something new everyday! Thanks for the link. I thought cinderelle grammer was a little off and she might have been from a different country.
    🙂

14. liz123

June 6, 2012 at 10:54 AM

@qqqq, I did not know that as the title was changed in the US to include the word “indians” and remove that vilest of vile words. Honestly, I’m glad I didn’t know that. Even if I did, I don’t think I would’ve posted that word here regardless. You think I offended someone by saying they seem to be on drugs, but what about the people that are offended by the posting of the ‘n’ word?! Whether you’re on drugs or not is your choice. Whether you are an African American or not isn’t your choice. So what if it’s the title of a book?! I could think of a lot of literary titles with words in them that I sure as hell wouldn’t post here- especially when it has absolutely nothing to do with anything being discussed. I think you’re probably a racist if you’re offended by drugs, but not by the ‘n’ word.

15. JovisMom

June 6, 2012 at 11:01 AM

@ liz – Gotta disagree w\ you on that, people in different countries use words that we don’t. The word “bloody” as in “what a bloody mess you made” in England (from what I heard) is as bad as the F—ing word here. Maybe the “N” word is not taboo where she lives as it is here and she does not know any better. When I read it I thought it might of been a typo as well until qqqq cleared it up, but I wasn’t about to bash someone for getting a typo. It’s clear that English (or American style English) is not her first language. I give her credit for trying.

16. elizabeth82

June 6, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Yeah, I think that commenter is foreign. Re. And Then There Were None, it’s an excellent mystery and one of the top-selling books of all time! I highly recommend it if you haven’t read it (it was also made into a play and two movie versions). Just unfortunate about its original title . . . which then morphed into “Ten Little Indians,” “Ten Little Soldiers,” and finally And Then There Were None.

Ryan was ridiculous in this episode. He barely made any sense. Bewildering that she did not get rid of him. He’s borderline-insulted her multiple times, and it’s like she’s torn between finding it funny, finding it flirtatious, and being insulted. He and Kalon should’ve been sent packing already.

Kinda funny how disgusted she looked when Doug didn’t kiss her after she gave him the rose on the 1-on-1. Yet she’s willing to give Jef a pass on not kissing her yet (clue that she likes him more). I’m looking forward to next ep so we can see Jef’s 1-on-1 finally and also Kalon get booted (finally)!

17. liz123

June 6, 2012 at 11:37 AM

@JovisMom, I mean I guess I can see what you’re saying about English (or American English) not being someone’s first language, but I don’t know of a country in which that word is used where it is acceptable. I know in Great Britain that word is just as offensive as in the US. The same is true of Canadians & Australians (even if only because of its American English definition). In fact, in qqqq’s own link they mention that the title of the book was changed to “And Then There Were None” in Great Britain. I don’t think your analogy regarding the use of the word “bloody” is comparable because that word that does not disparage an entire race of human beings.

18. kasey31

June 6, 2012 at 9:13 PM

can i just say one thing? i absolutely love the fact that the comments posted more recently seem to be so much more considerate and polite… not only in regards to rs, but just to each other in general. it’s a really nice change of pace and good to see that everyone seems to be more open to “agreeing to disagree” on certain topics.. it truly makes coming to this site much more enjoyable.. after all, we all have one thing in common.. we love watching this show 🙂

the best part of the column for me were the burning love videos! i have never seen them before.. i thought i would literally die laughing!!!!!

19. Cndgirl

June 9, 2012 at 8:02 PM

OMG I just watched the burning love videos – and they are so hilarious – completely agree @kasey31 – and I think they have them every Monday – in all honesty, I think I will end up looking forward to those webisodes more so than the Bachelorette! Too funny…

20. lasuziq

June 13, 2012 at 4:28 PM

I’ve always been so excited to get home in anticipation of Bachelor/bachelorette. This season with Emily is so boring.

Emily is pretty but how far does that go? I’d much prefer a cute/pretty Bachelorette with a sense of humor and fun personlity.

On the plus side I can make phone calls, balance my checkbook, play with the dogs, go outside and not miss a thing. Snore.

Hopefully the next Bachelorette will have more to offer..