The Bachelorette 8 - Emily

The Bachelorette Recap Including the “Burning Love” Videos & The Lawsuit is Over

The biggest news of the week came yesterday morning from my lawyers as they informed me the Plaintiffs had signed off on an Executed Settlement Agreement, and that the lawsuit had been dismissed in Federal Court. The Plaintiffs chose to make a statement to the media yesterday that was pretty predictable. You can read that here. Interesting they chose to focus on that part of the lawsuit in their statement. So vague. I know you all are waiting to hear my thoughts regarding everything, but give me another day. It all came down yesterday, and I’ve been working on the column all last night and this morning. I will say that I am allowed to talk about the lawsuit in any way that I want. It says specifically in the settlement agreement that there is nothing restricting me from publicly disclosing or commenting upon the details of the agreement. So I will say what I feel is necessary, I just need a day to go over some things. Honestly, there’s really only one major point of this agreement that people need to know, but I know you’ll have a ton of questions afterwards. Some I may feel like answering, and some I may not. I’m just glad this thing is behind me now and I don’t feel I have to talk about every single detail about this lawsuit. It’s over, I’m very happy with the agreement I signed, I don’t owe the plaintiffs any money, and RealitySteve.com isn’t going anywhere. More to come tomorrow.

Did anyone happen to read Tony’s exit interview last week? Just find it real interesting that he’s the second consecutive booted contestant that made a comment about Emily looking for someone financially stable. Could mean something, could mean nothing, but why have two guys in a row brought it up? What’s worse is that these are two guys that didn’t spend more than 10 days total with her, yet, both of them have seemed to focus on that when asked about what they think she’s looking for. The only way both of them could essentially answer the same thing is if they’re keeping in touch with guys that lasted longer on the show and are more or less just giving their opinion based on what other guys are saying. Joe and Tony barely know a thing about Emily since neither had a 1-on-1.

Yes, I’ve seen it. For all those who’ve emailed in the last few days, I’m very well aware of the Ben Stiller parody “Burning Love” videos that are making the rounds. Very funny stuff. If you have a half hour to dedicate to these videos, I suggest you watch them. This isn’t some half-ass attempt to make fun of the “Bachelor” franchise. They go all out. Big name celebrities, great acting, impeccable comedic timing, and they basically nail every detail down to this show. I watched all three yesterday and was thoroughly impressed. Unfortunately, no, I don’t have spoilers for this show. Check them out:

Episode 1:

Episode 2:

Episode 3:

Oh yeah. One last thing before we begin. Blake and Holly got married this past Saturday. Whoopee.

Page 1 of 612345...Last »

1. sarahbyrness

June 5, 2012 at 10:27 AM

There actually was one season where I remember the person chosen at the end had a 2-on-1 date earlier that season. It was Andy Baldwin and Tess. He picked her over Peyton on the 2-on-1 and ended up proposing to her at the end of the season.

2. linds8819

June 5, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Didn’t Joe have a 1-on-1 at the Greenbrier?

3. rollingeyes

June 5, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I love you RS, so no offense intended, but that 2 on 1 date was so boring that I had to skim over your recap of it. Even your writing about it couldn’t spice it up. I’m glad I chose the 2 on 1 date to go do my dishes, just so I wouldn’t fall asleep during it. If it was that painful to watch, I can only imagine how painful it was for Emily to take part in.

4. CaliGirl

June 5, 2012 at 10:46 AM

“We have resolved our dispute with Reality Steve and are pleased he has agreed to have no further contact whatsoever with any of the cast, crew or employees of The Bachelor,” (Warner Bros. statement)

So… the site may not be going anywhere, but will Steve still be able to give us spoilers?

5. JovisMom

June 5, 2012 at 10:47 AM

Wasn’t Emily in a bikini in her one on one with Joe? Second time in a bikini not first Steve.

6. lila34

June 5, 2012 at 10:57 AM

So who wins already?

7. sherylintn

June 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Maybe this is old news but did you see Chris Lambton with (girlfriend? Peyton) on HGTV’s Going Yard, pretty good if you like yard makeover shows.

8. drew

June 5, 2012 at 11:00 AM

Regarding, Jef’s attire, this is considered traditional Bermudian business attire. See http://www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/destination-hunter/north-america/caribbean-atlantic/bermuda/bermuda-cultural-destinations.html

9. liz123

June 5, 2012 at 11:02 AM

Am i alone in thinking that Ricki can absolutely understand what it means & what it could potentially mean for her life if her mother were to marry someone? I’m not saying she’d understand every implication of it, but in general she would get it. It’s not like she’s an infant, RS. I have a 4 year old daughter & she sure as hell would get it. No doubt. Am I alone in thinking this or is my daughter just a genius child or something?

10. chitowngal11

June 5, 2012 at 11:11 AM

Emmie, really Jef? the dude shows up with a skate board, has child like hair, maybe you’re thinking he would play well with little Ricki? I am guessing that you don’t understand the inner workings of the LDS thing, Jef’s parents are Mormon Missionaries….first, kid out of wedlock, big frown there for the LDS saints, 2nd you show way too much skin, second frown, no shoulders sorry kiddo! And you will have to convert or go to hell. Run Emily now from this Jef boy. Run and run fast…..

11. JovisMom

June 5, 2012 at 11:14 AM

@ liz – I agree w\ you, Ricki would get it. To her it would mean that her mommy gets to wear a white dress and look like a princess for a day and after that she gets a new daddy to live with and play with her. Kids are pretty bright.

12. liz123

June 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM

Tony did mention that Emily was looking for someone who is financially stable, but he only did so after being asked about it directly in reference to Joe having said it last week. Tony also said that he believed Emily was more looking for someone with goals than looking for someone who’s a millionaire & that he believed anyone with a family needed to think about financial stability before entering a relationship so he didn’t think there was anything wrong with her thinking that way. RS manipulated what Tony said to make it sound like something it totally wasn’t. Don’t use ABC’s tactics to make things more interesting, RS. You’re better than that (or you think you are anyway).

13. bigfatwoman

June 5, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Remember from the movie The Sixth Sense…..”I see dead people….” — that’s you Steve. You love to point the finger at people to call them liars. I’m referring to you thinking you’re calling out Emily on her “lying” about working out. Do you think perhaps she got a trainer to prepare for being on this show. Do you think perhaps she hated every minute of it and does not work out on her own? It is possible to be 20-something and still have a great body without working out.

I do think Emily wants someone financially stable and what’s wrong with that? I don’t know anyone who wouldn’t prefer to be with someone financially stable.

She may be a princess and she may enjoy a certain lifestyle, but she seems pretty genuine to me and to be grounded in who she is and what she wants. What’s wrong with that?

Sometimes that big chip on your shoulder shows, Steve.

14. CherylP563

June 5, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Just curious…did you spend all of the money donated thru Paypal on your lawyers? Your post reads that you don’t owe anyone any money, so I assume the donations all went to your attorneys or you will be throwing your supporters a big party?

15. browneyedgirlinhalifax

June 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM

Joe and Tony didn’t say she wanted someone filthy rich. There’s nothing wrong with wanting someone financially stable. It’s up there with emotionally stable.

16. maxi

June 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

@bigfatwoman, I thought the same about Steve calling Emily a liar for saying she doesn’t work out…just because she worked out prior to filming does not mean she regularly does. Steve, you grasp for straws at every chance and it is lammmmme.

All the talk on Doug and his temper, come on, very exaggerated, Steve. He is one of the most likable men there, IMO. Stop being so jealous and negative every chance you get.

17. carol1975

June 5, 2012 at 11:58 AM

Didn’t Emily make out with Chris on their 1 on 1? I thought you criticized him about asking permission to kiss her.

18. CaliGirl

June 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Cheryl, he didn’t say he doesn’t owe “anyone” money, he said he doesn’t owe the other party anything. I’m sure the close to $10K he receiced in donations helped him with his atttorney(s) fees, but I’d guess he must still owe tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees to his attorney. Those aren’t just going to go away. I’d have no problem if Steve kept the “donate” button up- those that can donate can, and those that don’t want to or have a problem with it- don’t have to. Just my opinion.

19. CaliGirl

June 5, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Ugh typing too fast, sorry. *received not receiced 🙂

20. D-Runner

June 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Steve I’m with you on being pleasantly surprised by Emily this season… She’s singing a different tune as previous leads and I like it.

As for the Doug/Chris altercation, either Chris got a bad edit, or what he was saying made no sense at all. From what I saw, I’d give Doug the one-up on that one.

21. Dianne

June 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM

@bigfatwoman. Tell me, why is it you are 100% entitled to your opinion, but Steve is not? You are the first one to pounce down his throat for him putting out his opinion. So what if he “thinks” Emily is a liar? A lot of people probably do. So, Steve’s not allowed to feel that way also? In truth, I think you’re creating that “chip” that Steve supposedly has on his shoulder, because I sure as heck don’t see one.

22. reddla

June 5, 2012 at 12:27 PM

Jeff’s cute. No dramam. Like it.

As far as Emily looking for financial stability, d’uh!

And enough of Rikki already.

23. aatxcutie

June 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Wow, RS’ settlement precludes him from ever communicating with ABC staffers, past or present cast members, where on earth will he get the 411 that we want? He probably also asked that ABC cover his legal fees since the lawsuit was baseless (yeh right), so I’m hoping for a big bash in Dallas, and Steve flying in all his loyal readers. Then we’ll have to donate for the 25% taxes he’s going to have to come up with for the $10k in donations. That’s not tax-free income – he’s not a legal charity.

24. liz123

June 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM

@bigfatwoman, I agree with everything you said! I totally thought the same thing about Emily & the whole working out or not thing. If I was going on TV, I’m sure I’d work out religiously & get a trainer if I could afford one (just like I did before my wedding), but that doesn’t mean I’d work out regularly after it was all over or that I’d continue to once normal everyday life returned- especially with kids to keep up with.

I do agree with RS on Doug, though. He seems like Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde. I disagree with Maxi that he’s “one of the most likable men there”. He seems very fake & like Steve said he is very “vanilla” in front of Emily. She should listen to her instincts on him being too good to be true. He seems to be super hot-headed with the other guys & I’m sure in a relationship the same would be true. At least Ryan is showing her first-hand what a douche he is & letting her decide for herself instead showing only his fake self like Doug is.

25. aatxcutie

June 5, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Emily, and Rikki for that matter will never have to worry about money. Rikki inherited everything from her dad’s estate, and I’m sure Mr. H takes very good care of the mom of his only child from his late son. The Hendricks are very GOOD people. I hope this all turns out good for Emily and Rikki, and she picks someone interested in her, and not in being the next Bachelor.

26. bigfatwoman

June 5, 2012 at 12:50 PM

Hi Dianne,

Obviously Steve is entitled to his opinion, as am I.

He refers to people as ‘liars’ on a regular basis. In MY opinion, that is a pretty heavy- handed accusation that is based on speculation and half-the-picture assumptions.

It is also MY opinion that the chip that he has on his shoulder shows through in his musings and observations.

Those are MY opinions — appropriate I think in a comments section.

I am…..BIG….FAT…..WOMAN!!!!!

27. readformindlessentertainmentandnothingelse

June 5, 2012 at 1:17 PM

Thanks for the link about the attire, Drew! That makes perfect sense. Kudos, Jef!

28. CaliGirl

June 5, 2012 at 2:00 PM

So…. Roberto for next Bachelor! Wonder how long before ABC will confirm or deny it. (if you haven’t heard, google Life and Style mag, and RS tweeted about it too)

29. FanofSteve

June 5, 2012 at 2:03 PM

I’m glad the lawsuit is over (it was bogus to begin with) & look forward to Steve giving us his views about it.
    I can’t, for the life of me, figure out why Emily hasn’t let Ryan go by now. What woman wants a guy who tells her that she’d better not get fat, that she’s a “trophy,” and that she’s been “given an amazing opportunity” – as if her Bachelorette status is some kind of charity-gift?
    All that being said … I still feel Emily is the worst bachelorette ever. She’s a barbie-doll princess whose mother serves her breakfast in bed and who is grooming her ever-so-precious daughter to be the same; and she doesn’t seem to be looking for a true life partner – she just wants someone who will fawn over Ricki the way Emily does and serve as a sperm donor for her future children.
    Finally, is it just me, or is Chris H. totally besotted by Emily? He can’t keep his hands off her. It’s hilarious!

30. georgiegirl

June 5, 2012 at 2:19 PM

I’m trying to figure out why Emily loses it when Kalon calls her daughter baggage, and yet apologizes to Ryan when he essentially calls her a slut (not to mention that getting fat comment and the trophy wife comment). There must be something about her psychology that I just don’t understand.

On a side note, I predict that RS will purposely make at least one minor error in each future post. Sometimes I read these comments and all I see is “You’ve got crabgrass!”

31. liz123

June 5, 2012 at 2:23 PM

I don’t understand why so many people think it’s wrong that Emily wants a husband that will fawn over her daughter the way she does. If I was ever to divorce, I sure as heck wouldn’t marry a man that didn’t think my daughters were as great as I think my daughters are. That’s a recipe for disaster. And, yes, I do believe there are men out there like that. In fact, I know there are. I have one as a dad (legally, he was my stepdad, but in every other way he was my daddy). Settling for anything less than a man who thinks you & your kids are God’s gift is just that– settling. I am of the opinion that most people who think that way don’t have children of their own so they don’t get it.

32. aatxcutie

June 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Roberto? Why on earth Roberto? Why not Reid Rosenthal? He had the best ever sense of humor and oh what a hottie@!!! Eh, maybe he’s too good for the Bachelor franchise.

33. CaliGirl

June 5, 2012 at 2:57 PM

Someone on Bach and Bachelorette forum claims that they know for sure that the Roberto news is false. Said they couldn’t say much but that it’s not true.

If so, perhaps MF and Co. leaked that out just for publicity? I wouldn’t put it past them! I guess time will tell.

34. thegivingsteve

June 5, 2012 at 2:58 PM

I watched last night’s episode with Kalon himself down here in Houston. He invited me to the viewing party as a sort of olive branch for all the recent ridicule I’d been unloading on him. You can check that out here:

It was pretty fascinating getting to hear him tell back stories and behind the scenes info. Emily, for example, reads at a third grade level and continually screwed up her lines and cues (yeah, they sometimes have actual lines).

SPOILER: Kalon is about to be kicked off in dramatic fashion (storms out/ gets kick out of the house while in London, doesn’t even make the rose ceremony). If they leave in half of what he told me he said in his exit interview, it will be television gold.

FYI he’s about to fly out to LA to be a contestant on another reality show… His star will never be brighter than next Monday night.

35. FanofSteve

June 5, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Wow, givingsteve – nothing like using someone else’s website to promote your own. I’d say you’re in a league of your own, but not so! You and Kalon are a perfect match!

36. jbayjason

June 5, 2012 at 3:24 PM

i believe the blog might have missed the BEST line of the night or season thus far — when Doug and Chris going at it at the rose ceremony reception, 25-year-old Chris says a great oxymoron “you are over-the-top humble” LOL

I have seen this blog since DeAnna’s season — but definitely not comical anymore — blogger, you really need to get back in the game

37. liz123

June 5, 2012 at 3:26 PM

@thegivingsteve, I’m confused. So, you’ve been criticizing Kalon relentlessly so he invites you to his viewing party to make amends? Wouldn’t it be the other way around? That makes no sense to me. Am I missing something?

38. scavanau

June 5, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Who cares about the spoilers? Steve used to watch the show real-time and speculate on who the top three were. He was usually pretty close. It was just as fun reading the recaps and his predictions about the winner. If this is a deal-breaker for people who read this blog, good. I hope they just go away, in addition to all of the other whiners who want Steve to change his writing style and personality. Please go read someone else’s recaps if you don’t like Steve’s!!!

39. maxi

June 5, 2012 at 4:13 PM

I seriously hope Roberto is not the next Bach… I don’t even see the interest there.

Liz123, just meant I like Doug, that’s why I said “IMO”…

40. molliesage

June 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Jef is the coolest dude ever and he was dressed in true Bermudian style for the Rose Ceremony. Your reference to Jef’s outfit notes more how cultural ignorant Steve is.

41. reddla

June 5, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Roberto’s cute and I’d like Aly to squirm a little. She’s so annoying.

42. reddla

June 5, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Agree with molliesage.

43. aatxcutie

June 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

You can now add sleaze to slanted and sophomoric!

In the lawsuit, Carbone was alleged to have offered at least one Bachelor participant a monetary incentive to induce her to breach her contract. He allegedly wrote, “Since you are a student, and I know you have loans up the ying-yang, I’d be willing to compensate you. … I swear, this is the easiest money you’d ever make, and you and I are the only two people that would know.”
    A day later, Carbone followed up with another purported e-mail that said, “$2500 to help me out. Not joking. Some of this stuff is driving me nuts ha ha.”
    The producers allegedly sent Carbone cease-and-desist letters Aug. 12 and again Nov. 22, then the lawsuit was filed in December.

44. bigfatwoman

June 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM

wow aaxcutie~

interesting….sounds like Steve’s lingo.

45. reddla

June 5, 2012 at 5:04 PM

And then he asked the peeps for donations, ha.

46. lcs85

June 5, 2012 at 6:40 PM

@aaxcutie- Isn’t Reid Rosenthal going to be on Bachelor Pad? He’s not above doing more Bachelor related shows, so maybe he can be awesome on Bachelor Pad and be a fan favorite for the next Bachelor.

47. cammie99

June 5, 2012 at 7:00 PM

Catching up here….

1) Am I the only person who still thinks that maybe, just maybe, RS is in ABC’s pockets and the whole lawsuit was a ruse to throw us off track? I still can’t help but wonder that. I mean, it’s all tied up with a nice bow and gone away all of a sudden? Why didn’t ABC keep on until RS was out of funds? It just doesn’t make sense.

2) I 100% believe Chris Harrison has the hots for Emily. It’s written all over his face every time he speaks with her. Would LOVE an ending where she ends up picking the host of the show….now THAT would be entertaining.

3) Roberto as the Bachelor would be almost as boring as Ben. They need to rethink that idea.

48. kabuki

June 5, 2012 at 7:15 PM

I used to live in Bermuda. Jef’s outfit was not lost on me–he was wearing traditional Bermudian business attire. Why he was wearing it had me scratching my head. That part must have been edited out. Also, the moongate is real, not a prop. Anyone who has been to Bermuda knows this. Steve, you need to take some time off from this site and get out more!

49. angelwatching

June 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Steve you are hilarious
    Love that Emily would pick Chris H
    Hate Roberto as the Bach
    Wish you would reveal the final drama

50. cmkfatt

June 5, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Emily wore a bikini on her 1 on 1 with Joe at the Greenbrier. Just when I thought it couldn’t get any better than the “love clock,” they come up with the “moon gate.” Make a wish!