Bachelor Pad 3

The Bachelorette Recap Including “Bachelor Pad” Cast Info, the New Promos, & Arie’s Friend Speaks Out

Quite a few things to get to today before starting the column. Lets start with the “exit” interviews from last week. Charlie spoke with the media (you can read his exit interview here), and a couple things stood out to me. He admitted that he’d met Emily before this season at a party in Nashville a looooooong time ago, and that they even talked about it, but producers chose not to show it. Weird. Man, they seem to breaking all the rules for Emily this season, don’t they? Granted, Charlie was not a major character on this season so it’s really not a big deal, but it’s interesting that he still got cast knowing she’d at least met him before. He must’ve made some impression on her back then to last a whopping four episodes this season. Better luck next time, Charlie. Also, I’ve got a new pet peeve when it comes to this show, and we can thank Charlie for reminding me. Any contestant who utters the line, “I gave up a lot to be here.” Seriously, shut up. Stop it. You’re acting as if you had no choice in the matter and that someone was threatening your family unless you appeared on this show. Everyone has a choice whether or not to come on this show. Nobody’s holding a gun to your head. Saying “I gave up a lot to be here” is ridiculous. That was your choice, not anyone else’s.

For the first time in this show’s history, a contestant who was still on the show was allowed to talk to the media to promote something upcoming in the show and talk about what happened in the house when Sean also talked to the media. I don’t know why they did this, I don’t know what it means, nor do I know if this means Arie and Jef will be on future calls as well. Just looks to me like they wanted to do something different, and since this season has been all about changing things up and doing things a liiiiiitle different than in season’s past, its probably nothing. I mean, read the interview (there’s 2 parts to it). Sean doesn’t say a lick. He doesn’t give anything away, he doesn’t reveal any spoilers, and the interview is about as generic as you can get. If we do see Arie or Jef appear on a future call before they’re eliminated, I’m sure we’ll get the exact same thing from them.

Which brings up something interesting for this weeks conference call: Who’s on it? Kalon won’t be because he’s doing “Bachelor Pad.” And I highly doubt there’s a great interest in putting Alejandro on the call. So this is either the call where Chris Harrison will make his mid-season “State of the Union” appearance and talk about what’s upcoming, or since they let Sean on last week, maybe Arie or Jef appear on this week’s call.

In case you missed my tweets this weekend, here’s the latest I have right now on “Bachelor Pad.” Lindzi Cox left for LA on Sunday, so she’s in. Also, Rachel Truehart from Ben’s season is in. So here are ones that I know for sure are in LA. Remember, just because you are in LA and sequestered, doesn’t necessarily mean you’ll get cast. Ask Brian Westendorf and Kathryn Sherlock. Both were set to be on previous seasons and were sent home right before filming:

Girls:
Jaclyn Swartz
Blakeley Shea
Rachel Truehart
Lindzi Cox

Guys:
Nick Peterson
Michael Stagliano
Kalon McMahon
Ed Swiderski
Reid Rosenthal

Also, I got word late Sunday that Elyse Myers from Ben’s season is also definitely in LA, and there were rumors that Chris Bukowski could possibly be cast as well. I’m very sure those nine listed are in. The last tweet any of them sent was Saturday at the latest, and Nick, Jaclyn, Elyse and Lindzi even shut down their Twitter accounts. It’s a safe bet we’ll see those nine and Elyse is possibly ten. Not real sure on Chris. Obviously there are others to be cast, and when I find out who the rest of the cast is, you’ll have it just like you have the previous two seasons. I think I have at least two, maybe three of the newbies as well. Although, ABC hasn’t said how many newbies they’re casting or how they’re fitting in to this season, so it’s hard to know exactly how many will be on at this point.

Yesterday, one of Arie’s female friends, a Kristina Owen, gave an exclusive
interview to WetPaint, regarding some things she felt needed clearing up I guess concerning Arie. Look, nothing in that interview surprised me. She’s his friend. Of course she’s gonna defend him. However, the story she told about how the producers were set on casting a different racer this season and they went to Arie for info on him, and Arie just chimed in, “Oh hey, if you need anyone, I’ll do it” seems to be a bit of a stretch. That’s not how it went down. Cassie asked Arie to come on the show because they kept in touch and Arie said yes. The spin job his friend tried to do was admirable, but I don’t buy it. One thing she did do though was shoot down the silly US Weekly story that as soon as Emily found out about Arie and Cassie’s past, she let him go immediately. Not true. We know Arie made it through the hometown rose ceremony because he’s in the final three. So even though his friend is shooting down the rumor of when he actually got sent home (“immediately” according to US Weekly), she’s confirming that Emily did find out about Arie and Cassie’s relationship during filming, which I reported almost a month ago. She’s just saying that what’s reported about how everything went down is inaccurate. We’ll see.

Speaking of that, there were two different sets of promos shown at the end of last night’s show. First, Chris Harrison’s voice-over says, “Next week, on the Bacheloretteโ€ฆ” and all the clips they show are from Croatia. It’s here that we see the guys have a problem with Ryan talking about Emily as a prize that he wants to win, and Arie is the one that goes to her room and tell her about Ryan’s intentions. So it’s safe to say that Ryan had a 1-on-1 date, got a rose, the guys tell her about him after their date, and at the rose ceremony (where we clearly see a clip of her saying she’s starting to second guess her decisions), she lets him go. Then walks outside to where Chris and Cassie are talking about “Who else in there isn’t all about me?” Wow. Did she really say that? Can we just rename this show: “The Bachelorette starring Emily Freakin’ Maynard, That’s Who Bitches?” So that’s how next week will play out.

The second set of previews started with Chris saying, “And later this seasonโ€ฆ” which basically gave away the final three for those non-spoiled. Clearly shows Arie, Jef, and Sean all on separate dates with Emily in Curacao. But other than that, it didn’t show much other than Emily saying she’s falling in love with more than one guy, which I think we hear every single season from the lead. I think it’s in their contract to say that at some point to keep the audience on their toes. But still no shots of Emily at the final rose ceremony, or guys arriving at the final rose ceremony, or what the hell she’s even wearing at the final rose ceremony. All very interesting. The way they are playing this, as I said in the video blog Thursday, something is not right. I don’t think we’re going to get a normal ending where she eliminates a guy at 3, she has 2 final guys, they both meet the family, they both have one last date, she chooses a guy, and she’s engaged. Not saying she doesn’t choose someone in the end, because I’m pretty sure she does, I just don’t know who it is or how she gets to that point. But I’m getting closer. I can feel it. When I have it all, you will know. On to last nightโ€ฆ

1. cubsfan2785

June 13, 2012 at 7:41 AM

@mossygogo I was also confused as to what she was telling Arie. Were the guys supposed to stand up after she told Kalon to leave and say “yeah, the lady said, get the f out?” That would have been awkward for everyone involved. If I was in her situation, I would have acted exactly the same way. I would have yelled at Kalon, then went off by myself. I don’t think I would have accused the guys of not having my back because no one yelled at him with me. Strange…

2. kittenww

June 13, 2012 at 7:42 AM

Hilarious recap! Seriously, I love hearing all the details…but then again, I’ve seen literally every season of the Bach and Bachelorette. I’m a junkie for this! I love that Emily thinks she wants like 5 kids. Just wait until the 2nd and 3rd arrive, and those pajama-days will seem more stressful than cute! Anyhow, I see her going in a completely anti-Brad Womack direction and picking Jef at the end. Can’t wait to see how this will go down. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. kasey31

June 13, 2012 at 8:08 AM

@cece931.. i respect your opinion about emily, but just to clarify, she DEFINITELY does say “who else isnt all about me?” maybe it was her choice of words, but it just came off as extremely arrogant.. to me, at least.

4. kasey31

June 13, 2012 at 8:13 AM

one of my favortie lines in this blog..
    ” ‘who else in there isnt all about me?’ wow. did she really just say that? can we just rename this show: ‘the bachelorette starring emily freakin’ maynard, thats who bitches!’ ” hahahaha

5. liz123

June 13, 2012 at 8:22 AM

cece931, I totally agree with you about what Emily meant when she said “Who else in there isn’t all about me?”. I think she meant “Who else is not here for me, but for their career?”, etc. I don’t see her as spoiled or self-serving. I mean, she is the lead, so she’s gonna sort of be the center of attention. That’s kind of the point of the show.

6. readformindlessentertainmentandnothingelse

June 13, 2012 at 9:04 AM

I find myself really enjoying this season and emily as a person. Sure, you can tell sometimes when she’s trying to remember the stories behind the places they are going and trying to remember lines. But I’m really impressed with how strong she is in standing up for herself and her daughter and in most of her discussions with the guys, she seems pretty real to me compared to most leads on these shows. I don’t think the “who’s not here for me” and “who has my back” comments are conceited because this is the Bachelorette-Emily and they are supposed to be here for her. Basically those comments are the same as questioning someone’s motives for being on the show, she just worded it differently. If they are not there because they want to be with her, then she’s right, they shouldn’t be there. And I don’t think she talks about her daughter too much. That tells me she’s not selfish because she is putting someone else above herself. I think she’s underestimated. (take it away grammar police)

7. Athena

June 13, 2012 at 10:02 AM

Personally, I think she’s a somewhat stereotypical “southern belle” (ok Southern Gals – let her rip), kind of woman, who can, at times, go all “backwoods WVA” (sorry I forget the rest) when she’s not happy. Do I think she’s self-involved? Yes. Maybe more than the usual person, but then again, has anyone ever appeared on this show that wouldn’t score further out on the me-me-me- scale than the average person? And her role on the show and everything that goes with it definitely would make any of us feel and act like we truly were the center of the universe.

But, having said all that, when I’ve seen her anxiety about having to let guys go and her fear of hurting their feelings, she shows a fair amount of empathy that definitely is not narcissistic.

As a single mom, I think she’s doing just fine in terms of concern about any future mate’s role with her daughter, and I blame the producers for upping the “mama-bear” aspects of it. We’ve gotta remember that they only show us the best tv-worthy snippets of all the relationships.

8. cece931

June 13, 2012 at 10:13 AM

@kasey31, I might have to go watch that promo again, I was positive I heard her say it differently. Could be wrong though.

I still don’t think she meant it in a selfish way though. I think she’s pissed that some of them are wasting her time.

9. liz123

June 13, 2012 at 10:18 AM

Athena, what do you mean by “stereotypical Southern Belle”? You didn’t really elaborate on that.

10. Athena

June 13, 2012 at 10:30 AM

@liz123, What I mean, and let me be clear in stating that this is a stereotype and not representative of many southern or other women, is that she has a well-developed grace and femininity about her and also some strong iron underneath. (Kind of like Steel Magnolias if you’ve ever seen that classic movie.) I also think that, as I posted earlier in the thread, that she’s a little bit chauvinistic in that she wanted the guys to tell off Kalon either right after she did or back in the house when the remarks were uttered. I call this “chauvinistic” because she is clearly capable of fighting her own battles, as she competently demonstrated that with Kalon, but she wanted her “guy(s)” to be there standing with her. Personally again, my guy wouldn’t jump to my defense unless/until he saw that I wasn’t able to fight the good fight alone. Call me a feminist, cause that’s what I am… I want him to have my back, but I don’t want him out there fighting my battles or needing to back me up when I’ve succeeded in winning them all by my lonesome. In most cases, he serves as a sounding board to help me sort out my own thoughts and feelings and how “I” want to proceed.

11. Athena

June 13, 2012 at 10:33 AM

Let me follow up with the thought that perhaps part of why she got so freaked out afterwards is that by their silence right after she told off Kalon, she really didn’t know what any of them were really thinking or what else may have been said when they were away from her. In that sense, it’s not really about “having my back” as it’s about “what do the rest of you really want here?” This also speaks to the debate, actual wording aside, about her comment about “who else is/isn’t here for me”? And, she was sick which definitely ups the vulnerability level.

12. georgiegirl

June 13, 2012 at 10:48 AM

RS wrote: In the raspiest voice you can think of, she also throws in โ€œI want to rip his limbs off and beat him with them.โ€

Mortal Kombat Fatality FTW! ๐Ÿ™‚

13. cammie99

June 13, 2012 at 10:51 AM

My take on the whole “you didn’t have my back” issue….

Many women, myself included, are perfectly capable of speaking our minds when something ticks us off. Emily is obviously part of this club.

Many men, like my boyfriend, are very laid-back and not upset by things that their ladies get upset over (bad service at a restaurant, for example).

Therefore, a woman might be quick to complain or fuss about something that bothers her, while her man is either not bothered by said issue or knows his lady can handle it.

In this case, Emily was able to handle it. She didn’t *need* these guys to jump to her defense. However, she apparently *wanted* them to do just that, to make her feel validated in some sort of way. Nonetheless, she did make too huge a deal out of nothing.

14. JovisMom

June 13, 2012 at 11:11 AM

With the whole issue of “you didn’t have my back” I think the problem she had is that ALL women no matter how strong what to feel safe AROUND their men, they want to be rescued. If she’s by herself I have no doubt that Emily and other women (myself included- I’m a southern girl transplatted from Philly 15 years ago, so I will get Philly Style on you!! LOL) I like it when my boyfriend sticks up for me when he is there and someone says something. Emily doesn’t come off that srong to me. (Even though she did do great at telling Kalon off). I think she was looking for these guys to prove to her that not only will they protect her but they will protect Ricki. I don’t doubt her for going back and asking all the guys why didn’t you say anything. Even though I feel that given the situation Doug said it at the best time.

15. moondoggie

June 13, 2012 at 11:34 AM

” I know, right?” drinking game
    “Hey sweet girl hi sweet girl oh sweet girl there’s no king there sweet girl, no dragons either sweet girl”
    FFS

16. JovisMom

June 13, 2012 at 12:08 PM

“Sweet Girl Drinking Game” as opposed to Ashley’s “Bentley Drinking Game”

17. angelwatching

June 13, 2012 at 12:25 PM

As much as I love your spoils. Glad you are not helping ABC with their PR nightmare for this high maintenance nightmare they have created. Most boring season ever!! Except for Arie…sorry

18. Sunnyside422

June 13, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Liz123: Lizzie, Lizzie put down that ax! Honey relax, take a few deep breaths and realize how you overreacted to my comment about a sturdy child! Dictionary definition is: strong, healthy, vigorous…at no point would sturdy be defined as butt ugly, fat or anything of the kind. Neighbor’s 4 year old is a sturdy child or so his grandma says all the time.

Don’t know what all is happening in your life to induce you to attack in such a venomous and vitriolic manner. Honey, relax. I won’t stoop to calling you hasty names and I sincerely hope you chill out a bit.

You will be unhappy to realize that my karma is just fine…good life and family and lovin’ everyone. I’ll even say a prayer for you to have the same.

tg02lu: I recall Brad indicating that Emily was not the sweet southern belle she portrayed on TV when they did their break up interview. I think she gives as good as she gets. Do I have a problem with that…not at all. She is what she is.

FanofSteve: I kinda have a problem with Ryan’s behavior. All smarmy and gooey when he is with Ems but then agree he did say (sitting in front of the fireplace with another of the guys) that he’d be open to being the next bachelor…if this thing didn’t work out. Perhaps hoping to pave the way. Never recall any bachelor voicing that wish on air.

Mossygogo: Recalled how well Ali handled Justin Rego going off on him and not a word from the guys. Frankly, they were probably going “whew…glad my b…s aren’t in her sites”! Why would the guys interfere? Both Ali and Ems handled their anger well and let their feelings be known. Ya know…hell hath no furry, etc.

Another fanofsteve: Agree with all your thoughts in the 4:34pm post. Never was a fan of Emily’s and less so now. Now I will say U thought Jef was kinda cute wanting Ems to come home and see that he was playing and interacting with Ricki. I’d say she’d want to know all was well on the home front with her two loves.

Also recall Ali being sick on her season and kissing Roberto. I guess sickness is no excuse to give up lip and tongue locks!

Sandy: I think also that my husband would buy my airline ticket and give me a fond attagirl send off if I was offered mega bucks to travel the world as the bachelorette. He’d know for sure there would no chance in hell, I’d leave him…or for that matter leave him WITH the kids! ๐Ÿ™‚

19. Cndgirl

June 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

A little bit off topic – but anyone watching Love in the Wild? I caught it last year, and its back this year – its a bit of a cross of bachelor with a light-amazing race – except there are same # of men and women – so they pair off, but can switch up the pairs to try and find a good match. From last year, 2 of the 9 couples are still together (already better numbers than the bach/lorette series) and it actually feels like these people are trying to find a connection – I find it a nice antidote to the bachelorette show…I actually quite like it. And, its only an hour – so it doesn’t feel like it drags on and on.

20. randais

June 13, 2012 at 4:07 PM

@cndgirl – I too .een watching Love In The Wild. It’s different. I like parts of it and I think Jenny McCarthy is a pretty entertaining host.

I am no fan of Emilys, any more. I don’t care how you spin it, she’s really coming off as self centered and I HATE ego.

21. randais

June 13, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Huh? How’d that print like that? ๐Ÿ˜€

“I too HAVE BEEN…”

22. liz123

June 13, 2012 at 4:51 PM

@sunnyside422, yeah, you meant “sturdy” as a compliment, right? I’m not an idiot. At best, you meant she was not slim & attractive like her mother. Rude, rude, rude. Pick on someone your own size– or at least your own age. If someone called one of my daughters “sturdy” to my face we would have serious problems. I think if you have any empathy at all & can put yourself in a mother’s shoes (or in a little girl’s shoes) you would see that your comment was beyond inappropriate.

And my life is just fine, happy, & successful, thank you, & the status of my personal life has absolutely nothing to do with me thinking you’re a pretty terrible person, but people like you always stoop to saying someone’s life must be miserable when they call you out on your bullshit because it’s apparently the only defense you have.

23. aatex

June 13, 2012 at 5:21 PM

FWIW, I thought using the word ‘sturdy’ was derogatory too. There was intent to insult an innocent little girl, defend as you may but I’d bet most of us got the same perception.

Shame…

24. je5630

June 13, 2012 at 6:17 PM

I happened upon your site last night after another boring episode of “Bachelorette” drove me to search Google for spoilers. I love your humorous commentary, which surprisingly seems to mimic the exact thoughts I had while watching the episode. However, when you referenced a “National Lampoon European Vacation” quote in your commentary, I became an instant and forever fan of yours. Keep up the amazing insights and I will keep reading them!! Love you Steve!

25. angelfish

June 13, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Emily’s better now than in the Brad cycle, but not by much. With Brad, I thought she was superficial, dull and very much stuck in mommy-mode.

She’s not as superficial as I thought, not so dull, but still still stuck in MM….At 15, Ricki is gonna blow her off to go hang with her friends… If Emily hasn’t had another 3-4 kids by then to distract her, she’ll freak out!

What the hell does she do all day? Yes, she has her “blessing” child to contribute to a marriage, but what does SHE PERSONALLY contribute aside from a pretty face & a decent sense of humor? What does she pursue as an individual? Aside from her daughter?
    She’s been biologically tethered to a race car family since she was a pretty teen. She birthed the blessing and then continued on her educational path?…..um…uh, no….
    Continued on her professional path?….um…uh, no…

She’s exactly where she was the day she delivered the blessing.

Almost 7 years later, she’s still a pretty girl, but with absolutely no discernable aspirations other than to find a guy to….to….to…what? Give her more babies?…..Is that all? Yeah, I know there’s the kids hospital the Kendricks family does stuff for, so she can volunteer between soccer mom snacks…

Her entire persona appears to be wrapped around mommyhood and the “Ricky Kendrick Fantasy Future”…She never knew him as an adult, yet she seems to keep trying to push these living guys into a mold of what she THINKS Ricky might have been if he lived…

Probably sounds really critical, but many people get posthumously put on pedestals….A person at 25 is rarely recognizable as the same person at 45….Time & life experience can drastically change people. No telling what kind of man Ricky would have become. Maybe great, maybe trash. But how comforting that Emily will never know. She can always keep the “pretty” alive and well.

But sadly for any man Emily chooses, she will always have that fantasy-Ricky to fall back on. The guy that never gets impatient, or frustrated, never forgets an anniversary, or wants to go out with his buddies instead of spending time with her & the blessing.

I just don’t see this show as giving her what she’s looking for. I really like Jef, but he’s too passive. Sean is just too needy and earnest.

I actually think Arie is perfect for her. Attractive on the outside and charming, but with that hidden-snake inside that gets what they want in the end.

26. amanda84

June 13, 2012 at 6:46 PM

About the guys ‘not having her back’.. I think that most guys who watched previous seasons avoid getting involved in drama, and know it’s not a good idea to get involved on he said/she said type of conversations during the little time they have with the bachelorette. It might come off as immature or insecure. On the other hand, Doug did well to tell her since he knows how important the issue is to her.

In regards to the confrontation itself, if I was already yelling at the guy and telling him off, I’d only expect the other guys to step in in case Kalon was being aggressive or personally attacking me. Kalon didn’t exactly take back what he said, but he wasn’t directly attacking Emily. I just think that since Emily was already doing what she had to do… The guys didn’t want to be seen as dramatic so they just let her finish what she already had started handling. So no need to keep mulling over it w/ the guys after Kalon was gone!

Otherwise I do like how she doesn’t take s**t from any guy. Even if she didn’t have Ricki, I don’t see her being hung up on a ‘bad boy’ type like Ashley was with Bentley.

27. amanda84

June 13, 2012 at 6:50 PM

@ angelfish: well said, couldn’t agree more!

28. kasey31

June 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM

im sorry, i really dont want to call anyone out by their name on here, but there is one person that seems to be constantly picking fights (borderline bullying) many readers in the comment section.. she is on here on a regular basis, critiquing everything anyone says, taking seemingly harmless comments and blowing them way out of proportion, personally attacking and insulting them, and it seems like she reads every single comment, and as soon as she sees one thing she doesnt like BAM, out comes this really mean person!!! it’s not pretty.. there are other regular posters on this site, and i am not referring to people such as, caligirl, dianne, jovis mom, attex (shouldnt have changed ur screen name ;)), bigfatwoman? (sorry i think thats her name), cammie, but one in particular that has a name followed by numbers..

i just really wish the hatred would stop. there is absolutely no need to resort to that type of language on this site! we dont know each other, so why let these comments make u so incredibly angry and vicious? i dont understand, and it really ruins it for a lot of us readers bc, like the other names i posted, at least they will debate in a civil and respectful manner with others without bringing up things about other people’s lives and children! it’s so sad to read, and i just hope we can all remember to use courtesy towards one another.. this is supposed to be a fun show, and a fun site to come visit..

anyway, @athena.. u are definitely correct.. although i disagree with u about emily, i do feel like she is very genuine about her feelings of guilt when sending guys home.. she does seem truly upset, and i am convinced that she does not want to hurt anyone.. those tears are definitely real..

and@cece931.. again, im sure thats what she says.. but maybe it was taken out of context, or maybe she didnt mean to word it that way.. just that comment, mixed with a few other moments she’s had on the show, has lead me to the conclusion that she is kind of a spoiled princess!

ps..@cece931.. i was not referring to u either, when i said her name was folled by numerics.. lets just say theres a “123” which proceeds her name..

again, i hope everyone tries to be a bit more respectful towards each other.. thats all! ๐Ÿ™‚

29. onetwothreethree

June 13, 2012 at 11:08 PM

dear dr. steve,
    my name is ONETWOTREETREE and im either a wacko teenager or wacko middle age woman you decide hahaha. anyway theres a guy i’m interested in, my nextdoor neighbor but all he talks about is this stupid show and how good looking emily is. my mother always goes on about how beooootiful she is and when i demand my father to answer he says looks aren’t everything, i have a fun personality but not when im not on my medication. so i want you to guess whether i’m teen or middle age or not and which is more important, looks or PERSONALITY, fake blonde hair or CAN DO ATTITUDE, sweetie pie or SPEAK OUT NO MATTER HOW OBNOXIOUS. i have money saved up and i can easily get boobs but if i get them i can’t get my lips done so i also need to know which is more important, also whether i should date this guy, he’s always running away from me, making all these excuses and my father says he’s just shy but i don’t know. also is there something special i can cook for him, i know the way to a man’s heart is his stomach what are you guys favorite meals or snacks? many thanks XXX

30. Ellieanne

June 13, 2012 at 11:33 PM

As a mom of four, all but one older than Emily, and a grandmother to seven, all of whom are older than Rikki, I will go out on a limb and say, I like Emily. I think she’s a very mature, confident, appropriately “mama bearish” woman. She puts her daughter first, which is beautiful, and while she may seem a bit egotistical, this is a scripted show and her edits may not be exactly accurate.

However, even if they are, she is the star of the show. I find that her empathy and sincerity when she has to let someone go is probably the most genuine this show has seen in a long time. I believe she’s on this show to find someone to have a relationship with, and that she’s truly trying to be fair and honest with herself and with the guys. As for being upset that the guys didn’t “have her back”, I think that’s partly her age and her background. She’s a Southern girl, and chivalry is big in the South. I think she was hoping the guys would sweep her up on their white horses and protect her from the big, bad Kalon. But, guys being guys, they are not usually into drama and didn’t get the memo. So, she got upset. That’s okay. That’s a culture clash since most of them aren’t from the South. (I won’t even go into Ryan, that egotistical, condescending, self-serving, thinks he’s God’s gift to women a**h***, pardon my French).

As for Rikki. Sturdy is not a word I would ever use to describe a child. A chair, maybe, but not a human being. I think Rikki is as cute as a button and that Emily loves her with all her heart. She’s a very sweet and adorable little girl, and I hope she’s being spoiled rotten by the crew!

That all said, I like Emily. She’s making this season refreshing, at least to me, anyway, and I’ve seen every single one, both Bachelor and Bachelorette. I think Rikki’s absolutely adorable. I hope she and her mom have a wonderful time seeing the world, and I hope Emily finds someone to be a part of her life. I think she’s grounded, sensible and honest which are all admirable traits. I don’t mind her being selfish, and I give her some slack for wanting the guys to be there for her. I would, too.

31. ggvilleman

June 14, 2012 at 12:46 AM

@liz123 I think your daughters are pretty damn sturdy and you are pretty damn snooty.

32. JovisMom

June 14, 2012 at 5:23 AM

@ angelfish – LOL!! Loved your post!!! If I hear Emily call Ricki a “blessing” one more time…. And you’re right the minute that girl turns 15 she will blow her mom off and Emily willl be heartbroken!! It’s too much!! She’s in mommy mode world because that is all she knows!!!! She had Ricki when she was what 18? She never was able to experience college, work life after college, dating all the wrong guys, getting drunk with her girl friends. It is actually kind of sad….

33. Athena

June 14, 2012 at 6:17 AM

Interesting debate about the word “sturdy”. As a college prof. in a professional discipline, I frequently talk about wanting my students to be strong, sturdy advocates for themselves and their clients. I especially like the “sturdy” part. It implies both strength and resilience.

And, actually, I find the word to be positive in almost all of it’s uses: for both boys and girls, physical, and emotional qualities. Wouldn’t you rather have someone refer to you or your child or grandchild as “sturdy” rather than “fragile”, “weak”, “frail”, etc. for instance?

Granted, in my next life I’m going to be tall and willowy, with long wavey auburn hair. But I’ll still be sturdy.

34. liz123

June 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM

@kasey31, not sure why you didn’t just say who you were talking about since it was obviously me. Actually, if you read back through any of my posts on here, I have not attacked anyone personally except one person in particular and that person was sunny-something-or-other because for all intents & purposes she called a little girl overweight & not pretty. I have said time & time again that it isn’t necessary to attack each other personally, but that one comment really got to me. So, yes, I did attack her & I have no problem saying so. But I really wish you’d go back & read my other posts & see that I haven’t ever called anyone names before. In fact, I have said I think it’s wrong to do that. Admittedly, she just really got to me with that comment. It made me feel very sorry for a little girl that didn’t do anything wrong to anyone & that brought out the worst in me. Please tell me where & when I’ve attacked anyone else b/c I will certainly apologize b/c before sunny, that was NEVER my intention. Yes, I debate like almost everyone else & don’t shoot rainbows & sunshine out my butt, but I’ve never *attacked* anyone or called anyone names other than sunny. Maybe I got a little riled with the ‘N’ word thing not long ago, but I never called anyone a name or attacked them. I just debated the use of that word & how I thought it was wrong in any context. To me, that’s not attacking. It’s stating my opinion.

And @ggvilleman, my daughters are healthy, but they’re not “sturdy” in the sense that sunny meant in reference to Ricki. My daughters are 3.5 years and 18 months old. So, let’s attack babies now.

Sorry so long, just one more thing: @athena, the textbook definition of “retard” is “Delay or hold back in terms of progress, development, or accomplishment”, but that is a horrible word that we would never use in reference to a mentally challenged individual. IMO, just b/c the textbook definition states something that doesn’t sound quite so bad or is technically accurate, doesn’t mean the word is okay to use & is always meant in only a descriptive way. KWIM?

35. kasey31

June 14, 2012 at 8:20 AM

@liz123.. i guess it was just the recent few comments.. and then i read a comment where u asked someone to elaborate on “southern belle” or something like that? i thought u were going to rip them apart for saying that..
    but i see that u didnt..

i also appreciate that u didnt repsond to my message in a negative way either.. totally civil and respectful, and i respect that.. it just seems the last couple of blogs have had some pretty nasty arguements and i just saw ur name come up on more than one occassion.. i cant really go back and read past comments, but i do remember the n word debate that got pretty heated too over that book.. and i truly dont think that woman meant any harm when she said that.. i guess they just didnt change the title of it where she lived..

anyway, thanks for responding and not being rude about it.. i was just getting tired of seeing all the hatred on here, it seems silly over a show like this.. i mean, we arent watching the presidential debates, for pete’s sake! and we dont really know each other, so i just hope that the courtesy continues.. thanks again for responding ๐Ÿ™‚

36. kasey31

June 14, 2012 at 8:26 AM

and btw @liz123 i dont encourage people attacking u personally on here either.. what ggvilemann said was disgusting.. but we have to remind ourselves that these people are just cowards hiding behind a screen name and want to get u riled up a lot of the time.. if they do it, they win.. dont give them that satisfaction..

37. cammie99

June 14, 2012 at 8:28 AM

This debate over the word *sturdy* has me thinking….for Emily to be such a protective mom, it baffles me why she would bring her daughter on this show and open her up to the possibility of ridicule. I’m sure people have opinions about Ricki that have been voiced elsewhere, and I’m sure Emily wouldn’t take kindly to them all. Just wondering why she would put her daughter out there like that? Seems counterproductive to her mission to be the perfect mommy.

On a side note, I’ve been around this site for awhile and have read many of the comments posted by Liz. With the exception of her reply to Sunny, I’ve never seen her “go off” like that before. That comment touched a nerve for her and she reacted. BTW, Liz made a comment one time that will always stick out in my mind – it’s because of US, the commenters, that this site stays as active as it does. RS has been lacking in the writing department lately, and those of us debating have kept the site lively.

Anyone who reads these comments on a regular basis knows many of us has taken jabs at one another before, but at the end of the day this is just a website that many of us visit to pass the time.

38. CaliGirl

June 14, 2012 at 8:36 AM

39. kasey31

June 14, 2012 at 8:40 AM

@onetwothreethree.. aww sweetie, i really hope u read this and im surprised no one else commented, but i have to!

dont pay him any attention.. let the guys come to u. and never change anything about yourself.. god made u the way u are, and youre beautiful without having to change your physical appearance in any way… there are many men i know who dont think emily is attractive, it’s all in the eye of the beholder..

superficial men will only care about looks, but a real man who is privilidged enough to have u in his life will care about your heart.. u will find someone when the time is right.. in the meantime, dont compare yourself to these girls on tv.. beauty will only get u so far…. being a good person, on the other hand, will always get u to your destination… many girls as beautiful as emily relied on their looks for so many years, that they never worked on themselves as people.. idk if this is the case with emily bc i dont know her, but it sounds like u are a very sweet girl who has a lot to offer aside from just beauty alone..

ps. i wouldnt even waste my making a pb&j sandwich for that guy if he is constantlly ignoring u! u deserve better than that.. but YOU need to know that.. good luck!

40. mfitz54

June 14, 2012 at 8:40 AM

Where’s Kasey when you need him? He’d be there to “guard and protect (her) heart” BA HA HA HA HA HA

41. Cndgirl

June 14, 2012 at 8:41 AM

The juxtaposition between Steve’s column and these comments is fascinating to me. Steve’s column is s,s,s but basically it’s light, funny, and he doesn’t take life, this show, or himself too seriously – I personally like it for a fluffy distraction from life. But on the comment board – with people who are pulled to this website and read his columns for what it is – can really take things seriously, when it comes to this show, and what people say. I like the light and funny debate and comments, and when it starts to get too serious, and not a fun kind of debate, I usually skip over those – for the most part – but then there are times it’s like watching an accident unfold and you can’t look away….

Anyway, just an observation from someone who is probably over-analytic! I’m not saying anyone should be one thing or the other, I just find it interesting.

42. montrealaise

June 14, 2012 at 8:44 AM

angelfish – you asked the very question I’ve been wondering about since this season started – just what DOES Emily do all day long?
    She doesn’t have a job. She’s not going to school. Her daughter is almost 7, so she must be in school all day long – so what does Emily do with her time?
    I know she is getting financial support from the Hendricks, since she is the mother of their grandchild, and I can understand them doing this while little Ricky was a baby and a preschooler – but now?
    What if Emily doesn’t marry? Does she expect the Hendricks to support her for the rest of her life while she stays at home and works on her hair, her nails, her tan etc?

43. kasey31

June 14, 2012 at 9:00 AM

@montrealaise.. good point, u know what? i think if emily were to remarry, the hendricks wouldnt legally be responsible for paying her anymore.. although i could be totally wrong..

my father passed away a few years ago, and my mom receives money from the government (his pension plans) etc, to help raise my little sister..im pretty sure though if she were to remarry those payments would be null.. i dont know for sure though.. but thats a good question and could possibly be why she is trying to find someone with money to help support her if thats the case. she does, after all, seem to live a pretty lavish lifestyle… hmmmm… anyone know the answer? isnt there an attorney on here somewhere?

44. liz123

June 14, 2012 at 9:10 AM

@kasey31, I got what you were saying completely. I did get more heated than is probably necessary with that one response, but like cammie said, it really did touch a nerve with me. I just wanted to refute the fact that it is something I do on a regular basis.

Oh & the Southern Belle thing, I totally agreed with everything that person said so I wanted to see what her perception of a Southern Belle was. Going back & reading I guess I can see how you thought I meant it as a question in preparation to “attack”, but I really didn’t. I actually agreed 100% with all her comments!

I try really hard to just “debate” whatever we happen to be discussing (whether it be RS slipping or Emily being a diva) & not get too serious b/c this is a silly bachelorette blog after all, but yeah that one comment in regards to an innocent child really got the best of me & everything else kind of went out the window. I’ll try harder to stay above it all next time. Pinky promise! ๐Ÿ˜€

@cammie99, I couldn’t agree more about E’s decision to have Ricki on in the 1st place. I mean, to each his own as far as that decision, but at the same time she preaches a lot about being super overprotective & then puts her kid on TV. Does not compute.

45. aatex

June 14, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Heya Liz, this is a comments section that the so-called webmaster (gag) never bothers to remove comments and I think what you have to say totally rocks, so don’t go changin’ for the few that have a problem with it.

Personally know, Steve loves the drama (and pennies from hits) from these comments (yes he does read the comments but I will never admit how I know so)…. he will rarely answer an email in the for-reals department because that would tarnish his holier than thou persona. He is Mr. Perfect and would actually be a great match for Emily.

As for Rikki being on the show so much, BIG MISTAKE!

Hope to see the regulars in the chat room tonight, Gina, Cammie, Brian, Cyndi II, Jessie, Uncle,etc… that’s where the real entertainment happens, and the truth comes out.

Cheers!

46. onetwothreethree

June 14, 2012 at 12:31 PM

SUCK IT, I DON’T NEED ANYONE’S PITY!

Onetwotreetree (someone stole my name)

47. liz123

June 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM

aatex, thanks for the back-up!

onetwotreetree, I thought kasey was very nice to you. she wasn’t giving you pity!

48. kasey31

June 14, 2012 at 7:15 PM

@liz123.. so glad to read ur thoughts on my comment ๐Ÿ™‚ and ya, i love to hear other perspectives on the show bc i know for sure im not always right, and a lot of times i change my mind on certain things bc of what other people post (it makes me see situations from a different angle) and i appreciate that a lot.. thank u for being so kind in ur response.. please continue to always voice your opinion, and never be afraid to do so! i just dont like seeing u or anyone worked up over something silly.. but reading what u wrote, i realize that u are a very logical, sweet person (it takes a lot to say, “u know what? maybe i did go a little too far with that comment”), and i respect that so much.. i also understand that u were defending ricki now.. i highly doubt u have one mean bone in ur body..ps, thanks for defending me against that one girl, too ๐Ÿ˜‰

@onetwothreefourfive (whatever), sorry.. i definitely wasnt trying to throw u a pitty party at all.. u simply posted and i responded.. u seemed pretty upset, and i thought id go out of my way to try to make u feel better.. but maybe u didnt meant to hit “post comment” for everyone to see? good luck with ur situation, regardless..

49. Fade2Black

June 16, 2012 at 9:49 PM

I just wanted to say that I got such a “warm fuzzy” from reading the correspondence between Liz123 and Kasey31….you guys kept it so classy and were just so kind and sweet to one another, and that is SO rare on message boards where it’s so very easy to just “let it rip” and forget that each of us are actual human beings with feelings behind the screen. Just wanted to give my props to you two, and I haven’t logged in here in months to post a comment, although I do read them. ๐Ÿ™‚

50. kasey31

June 18, 2012 at 12:03 AM

@fade2black.. thanks for the nice comment regarding the exchange between liz and me..

u know, it seems like these mesg boards have become so much more accepting of opposing opinions.. everyone has been very polite lately.. i think we all just started to realize exactly what u said- we are all humans and deserve to be treated with respect! and i have no problem apologizing when i think i might have been out of line..even people who have argued with each other are apologizing and defending each other against comments that are outright nasty..

while there are still people who disagree on various topics, “haters” and “fans” of steve, everyone seems to communicate with a much more rational and respectful tone.. its a nice change of pace, thanks for noticing ๐Ÿ˜‰