The Bachelorette 8 - Emily

The Bachelorette Recap, “Men Tell All” Details, and the Mike Fleiss Tweets

-Emily arrives on a boat in Curacao, and we’re not two minutes into the show before she’s shilling for hotel accommodations. “I’m so excited to be staying at the Kura Hulanda Lodge.” Yeah, well the Kura Hulanda Lodge is so happy that Emily Maynard is staying there. Not really. They’re just happy to do a trade with ABC to showcase their island and accommodations while the show gives them free advertising in return. Usually we just hear the lead say something to the effect of, “There’s no place I’d rather be than _____”, or, “I can’t think of a more perfect place to fall in love than ________.” Now she’s giving out the resorts name? Why didn’t she just do a public service announcement for them before the show? Give out the phone number, point out what’s on the menu, maybe give us a history lesson about the island of Curacao. Earlier this season we got the “Brave” promotion, and now this? I hope they worked it into Emily’s contract to throw a couple extra bucks her way for her telling us how much she loves the Kura Hulanda Lodge. The ironic thing about her pimping them is given Emily’s lifestyle, she’s been in hotels fifty times nicer and more expensive than that place.

-Since it’s the overnight date episode and they have to drag three 1-on-1 dates out over two hours with zero drama, of course the first 15 minutes are spent recapping each guy. This offered us nothing we didn’t already know. She likes all three, she can see herself with all three, it’s such a tough decision, she doesn’t know what to do, each guy is amazing and wonderful in their own right, blah blah blah. However, to drill the point home about how conflicted Emily is with her choice, we see her grab a stick on the beach and “Emily + ?” in the sand. Ooooooh, the suspense. Of course, it was washed up about four seconds later, so we didn’t see when she wrote a little small “Jef” underneath the question mark. I can’t say how impressed I was with Emily’s penmanship in the sand with a stick. Holy crap. I can’t even write on a chalkboard like that. How did she write a perfectly handwritten “Emily” with a stick? How many reshoots did that take? I think I’ll have Emily write all my “Thank You” cards at my wedding. Whenever that may be.

-Sean’s date is up first at Watamula and Emily only has one thing on her mind because, as you know, it’s all about her. “Sean hasn’t said ‘I Love You’ yet.” Oh gee, that’s unfortunate. I don’t think any human being in their right mind would tell someone they love them that’s had ONE 1-on-1 date with them in 6 weeks, but hey, that’s just me. Basically Emily is saying to him that he better step up his game and at least lie to her and tell her that just so she has a better peace of mind since the other two sheep already have. Go ahead. Ask any former contestant who lasted this long in the show if they meant it when they said they were in love. All of them will tell you, after the fact, they realized they weren’t, but the setting and circumstances make you say it. You can’t be in love with someone you don’t know. Well, except for Kate Upton. I’m pretty sure I’m in love with her and I don’t know a thing about her except what I see in her fascinating, jiggly videos. Yep. That’s love I tell ya’.

-These two take a helicopter ride to a private island, which is exactly what she did with Brad on one of their dates. And they had slow, awkward conversations – kinda like how Emily and Sean’s is starting out. Now the question is, who ate less carbs on their date – Sean or Brad? I don’t think either of these two guys would know what a carb is if it came and slapped them across the face. I’m calling it right now, lets get a posedown between Sean and Brad. Winner gets to have more awkward conversation with Emily. Loser gets to fly a kite with Ricki. Someone put this on pay-per-view, like, yesterday. I think since Sean is used to competing and is already accustomed to the tanning beds and orange skin, I say he’d win. Brad just doesn’t seem like he’d be down with a posedown. A shouting match that included “knock down drag out fights?” That’s your guy. But Sean wins the posedown. Better luck next time Brad. Ricki is waiting in the park for you again to fly a $3.99 kite from Toys R’ Us. Don’t screw this up again.

-So Emily gets Sean to talk about his hometown date and a conversation she had with his sister about the girls he’s dated and how selective he is. Sean seems to be referring back to his 3 year relationship he’s talked about before. For those that don’t know, her name is Brooke Sorenson and was a former Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader. She’s now married to Laynce Nix of the Philadelphia Phillies, but oddly enough, still has a whole folder of pictures on Facebook of her and Sean when they were together. Quite odd. Wonder how ol’ Laynce feels about that. Whatever. Cute pictures though. But yeah, that’s the girl that Sean was with for three years that he “loved, but wasn’t in love with her.” Ahhhhh, one of the great relationship clichés ever. Love you but not in love with you. I wonder how many times that’s been uttered in relationships across the world. I think I’ve said it once. And despite it being a very often used cliché, there is truth to it, so I can’t diss it too much. We’ve all been there before. Sean just tells Emily that basically Brooke wasn’t the one and he didn’t have those feelings for her. “No one I’ve dated has measured up the way you have.” Oh boy. That was a dagger right to Brooke’s heart if I’ve ever heard one. Good chance by tomorrow that photo album of Brooke and Sean she still has up on her FB page might be taken down. Or she’ll just draw and bunch of X’s on Sean’s face. Maybe it’s just me, but what married woman still has a photo album of their ex-boyfriend labeled “Me and Sean” on their FB page? Is Laynce aware of this?

-Since this season is all about writing letters in their down time, it’s now Sean’s turn. We had a War and Peace novel from Ryan after he’d had one date with her. We had Jef’s letter last week during the hometowns (which I’ll get to later), and now we have Sean’s open letter to his possible/maybe/could be future step daughter Ricki. I tried to keep up with it and write down as much as I could. Here’s what I was able to make out.

“Ricki…hey, it’s your new daddy Sean here. I can’t wait to meet you someday. You seem like an incredible little girl and your mom speaks so highly of you, I just know you and I will form a friendship that’ll last forever, and I’ll be so proud to be your dad and love you as my own. Brad may buy you kites, but I’ll take you to Bojangles whenever you want. I’ll never wear my hair like I’m in a 60’s Doo Wop band and jeans so tight that they cut off the circulation to my nuts to where we wouldn’t even able to give you any more brothers and sisters. I also won’t chase a bunch of pit lizards in the racing world like some other oily bohunks your mom seems to like.

I can’t wait to meet you Ricki. Tell your mommy to pick me. If she doesn’t, I might have to body slam Jeffy and karate chop Arie in the throat before I peace out of this place.

All my love. Sean.

Apparently Emily wasn’t as moved by that letter as she was by Jef’s last week. Oh well.

-Time for the overnight date card. “Emily and Sean, welcome to the beautiful island of Curacao, hope you’re enjoying your stay. Should you choose to forgo your individual rooms, please use this key to stay as a couple in the fantasy suite. Chris. Being a single man now, I will be in the villa right next door hoping for some secondary action by putting my ears up against the wall. Or could I maybe get some closet time? That’s all I’m asking for.” Emily and Sean go back to her 3-star accommodations at the Kura Hulanda Lodge to extend the night a bit longer. They go into the hot tub, kiss for a little bit, until Sean gets bored and gets out to start doing an Insanity workout on the DVD player. Or not. I’m just assuming that’s what he did. Emily is torn between having him stay the night or not because she wants to set a good example for Ricki, and ultimately, she decides not letting Sean stay overnight. Although she’s all hot and bothered, better to head back to the room by herself with a glass of wine, some reading material, and Spanktravision on the hotel TV then let Ricki see mommy jumping in bed with three different guys on national television.

1. bklover

July 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Much has been discussed about Emily declining to have any of the final three spend the night in the fantasy suites due to her wanting to set a good example for her daughter, etc. But didn’t she spend the night in the fantasy suite with Brad on his season?

2. jillbeau

July 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

@Kali,
    I couldn’t agree more! I only found RS’ site during Ashley Hebert’s season, and halfway through at that. It came up when I did a simple google search of something like “Who does Ashley Hebert pick?” It was only then that I was introduced to the world to Bachelor/ette spoilers. I have watched nearly every season prior and had no idea about spoilers. If you’re not looking for them, you’re not going to find them.

3. JovisMom

July 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM

@ bklover – I am almost certain that she did not spend the night with Brad. I think she went and talked with him a little off camera but I believe it was like Sean’s date, where she left afterwards.

4. RDTF

July 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM

During the tweeting frenzy I finally couldn’t take it anymore and tweeted to Fleiss that he really needed to take a break….and also said that he was obviously unaware that people that read the spoilers still watch the show. Trust me, viewership is really all that matters to a producer.

5. lcs85

July 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I haven’t posted in 2 days! Why do I keep getting an error saying I’m posting to quickly?

@jillbeau and @Kali

I just looked at Fleiss’ twitter, and didn’t see anyone claiming to have accidently came on RS and read spoilers. Thats not what they said at all. The only person who commented said she saw in the comment section of Ashley’s blog (on ABC.com so you know she isn’t promoting RS) who RS picks to win. That is actually how I found out about RS. Not Ashley’s blog, but another recap blog where someone posted in the comments that RS is saying Vienna wins Jake’s season. I didn’t go searching for spoilers, and I wasn’t looking to see who won. But once you read someone’s comment its not like you can unsee it, or decide that oh, that comments going to spoiler, I won’t read it.

6. brooklyngirl

July 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

7. twinkie kitty face

July 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM

cotton patch – really?

8. RDTF

July 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM

brooklyngirl that’s funny – would love to know what Steve thinks about that

9. JovisMom

July 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM

That is what I posted earlier on this thread….Might happen. There is all this craziness that is suppose to happen…

10. jules1

July 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

RS comments about this on his twitter page: RealitySteve ?@RealitySteve
    “For those asking, thats not Perez’s story. It’s on In Touch’s website today. Consider the source. Just more tabloid garbage.”
    I completely agree – this is tabloid B.S.

11. DallasMs

July 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM

@Sunnyside422
    Let it be known, I’m “Team Sean”. But I commented to my friend that he does NOT appear to be a good kisser! It’s not that he misses the mouth/lips…he just doesn’t have the skills. Arie does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me, but I can tell…he’s got the kissing skills down. Jef? Meah. He looks like a little boy. But if you look at pictures of Ricky Hendrick….I see similarities.

Sean was my pick from a character, and maturity standpoint. But even though he was my fave…I have to admit…he IS a bit boring. In spite of the “I still live here” and “steamed armadillo” at hometown, he doesn’t come across very playful. I think he is by far more solid, but Emily’s smile when she’s with Jef is just radiant. When he was reading her that letter, I thought she’d split her face open she smiled so big. To each his own. It’s not lasting anyway!

12. awachspress

July 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Reality Steve,
    Is it true that Jef was her second pick?

13. bluegnu63

July 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM

So much has been made about Jef’s youthful looks, but at least he’s going to be one young-looking grandpa someday, LOL. Even with silver or white hair.;)

14. oliver12

July 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I heard on E! News tonight that one of the guys (Arie) leaves before the final rose ceremony because he can’t handle the pressure of what is going on and is not sure about the relationship, leaving Jef to win by default. Have you heard any rumors that this is true? Thanks!

15. karynr

July 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM

There have been rumors flying around the past few hours. One rumor is that one of the guys tells he he’s not ready to get engaged and leaves, and another one is that Emily can’t decide and pulls a Brad.

And it could all be hype to make it the MOST DRAMATIC FINALE EVER!

16. missie

July 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM

My guess from the previews is that Emily sends one guy home before the end, like Ali F did when she just had Roberto at the end. Her dad saying you cant love two people at once can mean to her, there has to be one that you actually love and not the other. But what do I know!!

17. jillbeau

July 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM

@LCS85,
    I definitely see your point! I did not read any blogs or anything either before finding RS. So I guess that I was opposite of you. I wasn’t aware that Ashley Spivey’s blog existed, Dana Weiss, etc before finding Reality Steve’s website and seeing comments regarding those blogs. I would just watch the show and be done with it. Now I’ve been introduced to this crazy world… 🙂

18. ccway

July 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Jellybug- I totally agree with you re Chris Harrison. I thought I was imagining it until I read comments that other people saw the same. Probably wrong but personally I think that would be an awesome ending. Although I do like Jef too. Was team Arie until she started questioning him and his answered led me to believe he isn’t quite ready to settle down. We will see…

19. rustypup

July 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM

This article made me lol because it states that Jeff is talking to the media, yada yada. So who knows if this most recent ‘spoiler’ is correct. I doubt it. If Jeff was her second choice, and they barely knew each other after a handful of dates, why would he in his right mind stay with her?

20. kasey31

July 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

@liz123- just got home from a wedding.. yes, on a wed.. bc they wanted to get married on 7-11 at 7:11, not to be confused with the convenience store bc that’s what i thought she meant for the first couple of weeks..anyway, of course u would notice i spelled nazi wrong!!!! always trying to pick a fight with me.. LOL just kidding 😉

i was just trying to see if anyone picked up on it haha.. no, i just spelled it incorrectly.. it’s not that i am a spelling bee champ, and lord knows, i have many typos when i do comment.. but it’s the grammar that drives me nuts.. like one poster said the “their, or there,” instead of “they’re” little stuff like that.. shouldnt have said anything bc now i will get blasted for anything i might spell incorrectly.. and im way too lazy to double check..

21. kasey31

July 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

ps.. she did stay with brad..she said she wanted to set a good example for ricki, but she also said she couldnt decline the time it would allow for them to be together off camera.. the camera didnt show her leaving at night or in the am.. but im thinking she did stay over and they probably just talked.. i also think that’s why she was so upset with brad at the atfr ceremony bc he said early on he knew it was emily he wanted to be with, but he still chose to stay with the other two women in the fantasy suites.. im thinking she was under the impression that it was only her.. OR she knew if she declined there’d be a chance he wouldnt pick her.. but this time, she is the one in control..

22. shelly44

July 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Its ok Steve, that you were a little late to write your summary.

I was entertained in the meantime by going to the Bachelor and Bachelorette Forums in the Arie thread. A user Kelso__ is having a meltdown!

23. bigfatwoman

July 12, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I really loved the diamond bird necklace Emily had on on Monday’s show…..so I did some research and found out about all 3 necklaces she was wearing at the end of the show:

Diamond bird : $4409
    Diamond chain links: $2200
    Ivory beaded necklace: $5000

I guess it’s very possible her wardrobe budget was over $300k. Yeesh!!

24. annanoor1975

July 12, 2012 at 8:49 AM

@cyndi Can you please add me back to the fb page. I had access but was away last week and now don’t have access. I requested to join the group again. I don’t post much here but read all of the comments . Thanks

25. iheartvino

July 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM

For those of you curious about Emily’s fashion and where you can buy what she wears on the show, check out this site:

@Kasey, I’m with you on the grammar issue!! My biggest pet peeve of all is when grown, well-educated adults mix up “you’re” and “your.” Is it really THAT hard to remember which is which? My favorite is when someone says “your stupid.” Umm…. REALLY?

26. JovisMom

July 12, 2012 at 9:13 AM

@ bigfatwoman

“Diamond bird : $4409
    Diamond chain links: $2200
    Ivory beaded necklace: $5000

I guess it’s very possible her wardrobe budget was over $300k. Yeesh!!”

YIKES!!! I loved that bird necklace too!! I’m sure you can find a knock off somewhere…You may want to try
    I didn’t see one when I looked yesterday but since that just aired they may have one in a few weeks.

27. annanoor1975

July 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM

thanks for the add Brandi to the facebook page. Since I am posting here, I already posted this on the fb page I thought I would ask

Sorry if this is a repost but the most burning question I have is how many people really believe that RS never paid for info? When it came out that he said he would pay those contestants and then MF got wind of it, RS admitted to it as it became public knowledge as there were emails and the contestants stated this. But how many contestants or people associated with the show may have been paid for spoilers and haven’t revealed this as it also puts them in a bind. I for one do not believe that RS never paid for spoilers. Why only start saying you offered to pay for spoilers this late in the game. He’s been spoiling since Jason/Molly/Melissa. I don’t post much here because RS does annoy me but I love reading your comments 🙂

28. kasey31

July 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM

@iheartvino- LOL.. that is probably the one that people mix up the most, YOURE so right : )… and technology doesnt help bc now people just write “ur stupid” but, yes.. if youre going to use those words in your statements, make sure youre using them correctly for your own sake ; ).. pleeease!