The Bachelorette 8 - Emily

The Bachelorette Recap, “Men Tell All” Details, and the Mike Fleiss Tweets

-Next up is Kalki Beach with Jef. They board a boat and head to Klein Knip Beach. On the boat ride over, Jef told her that his parents heard about how well their hometown date went, and how all the family loved her, and now they’re interested in meeting her. A lot has been made of Jef’s parents, and why they weren’t at the hometowns, and why during the hometowns, ABC used a terrible voice over of Jef saying they were in South Carolina doing “charity work” that obviously he never said in the moment, etc. Look, I have no idea what role Jef’s parents play in all this. They weren’t at the hometown date because they are Mormon mission leaders in South Carolina. You can google Monte and Lisa Holm if you’re interested in finding out what they do and what they look like. I don’t know why the show has gone out of their way to not make it known that’s why they couldn’t be at the hometown date, nor why Jef couldn’t say it on TV. Maybe there are strict rules against it, maybe he’s embarrassed, or maybe his parents just don’t want to be a part of this silliness. Hell if I know. I’m guessing since the two of them are engaged as we speak, they’ve met her by now.

-They get off the boat and paddleboard to the beach. Upon arriving at the beach, they jump off rocks into the water, thus making John Wolfner and Nate Bakke feel less special since now she did it with someone else. In the water, we see Jef standing up while Emily’s legs are wrapped around him as they make out. Had no idea the water would be so shallow where they were. I mean, Jef stands a solid 4’10”, so was that water like 2 feet deep? Weird. So I guess the biggest thing to address from Jef’s hometown date last week was the letter he wrote Emily that apparently had everyone in tears. Once again, the show was a week ago, I was busy in California all last week, so I did my best to transcribe the whole letter for everyone to read. It was very heartfelt and a really cool letter if you ask me.

Emily….I, like, totally like you. You are, like, the one person I can see myself spending, like, the rest of my life with. You’re, like, so cool and so down-to-earth, you make me laugh, you make me smile, and you know, like, we just get each other. I want to, like, wake up to you every morning, and like, make you breakfast, and like, give you the peace sign as I head out the door to work every morning. I wanna, like, make Ricki peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, and like, take her to school. But I don’t want to just, like, take her to school and stuff. I want to sit next to her in class and, like, play with her at recess and stuff. Her and I can be, like, best friends forever since we’re so close in age and looks. She’s, like, someone I can finally relate to and won’t, like, make fun of me for my skinny jeans. I will even, like, let her beat me at Chutes and Ladders and Candyland because, like, I want her to feel special. Well that and the fact that I’m still learning how to play both of them. Emily, you’re, like, the one for me and I can’t wait to be that guy you wake up to every morning and, like, take a shower with. No, literally I need your help in the shower since I’m still learning. Love always, Jef. Peace (stupid two finger sign).

Or something like that. Migh’tve been off on a few words here or there.

Here’s what I thought of Jef’s letter last week. It was great. Very sincere, honest, and definitely said all the right things. The problem is, that thing literally sounded like something you’d say in your wedding vows. So the fact that he did it on national television for a girl he’s known for 5 weeks and had two dates with just made it all the more ridiculous. I’m sure he meant it, but c’mon, that was much too much and too early. I get that he’s trying to win her over, and that things are sped up on this show, but it is possible to say nice things and compliment Emily without saying what he did. Nobody would look at him any less if he didn’t say that. I just feel when someone comes with something like that on a show like this, with a person they still barely know, it’s impossible to take seriously. Seems way too forced. It really was an unbelievably well written letter. I just thought it sounded like something you’d say at the altar for your vows, not 5 weeks into a ridiculous dating show with a chick who’s been making out with your friends.

-At dinner, Jef has some questions for Emily. Jef: “Only thing I don’t know about Emily is what it’s like to be around Ricki.” Oh sure you do. All your friends are her age, I’m sure it’ll be an easy transition to having a relationship with Ricki. He’s worrying too much. I think all the time he spends at the jungle gym and on the swings will totally make him and Ricki connect on a level better than the other two guys. These two can spend a whole day together running around, singing Big Time Rush songs, eating Nutella sandwiches and it’ll be like they’ve known each other forever. Trust me, Jef’s relationship with Ricki is the last thing I’m worried about with him. Jef asks Emily, “Where we gonna live?” Emily says she’d be perfectly fine with packing up Ricki and moving her to Salt Lake if that’s what Jef wanted to do. Ok, now here’s where there are two sides to the story. Honestly, none of us have any idea if this is true, or even possible. Half the stories you read say that the Hendricks family has control of Emily and her finances and don’t want their granddaughter moving far away from them and there’s no way in hell Emily could move to somewhere like Salt Lake, even if she wanted to. Then the other half of the stories say that Emily can move if she wants, she’s not restricted by the Hendricks family, and she’s always wanted to get out of North Carolina. Bottom line is, none of us know what’s true and what isn’t. If she moves to Salt Lake, then we know those first stories are bogus. If she doesn’t, the rumors will always remain. We’ll see.

-Jef the Interrogator then asks, “You’ve obviously dated a lot of great guys. Why don’t you think it’s worked out with any of them?” Man, I’m surprised he wasn’t shining a bright light in Emily’s face making her sweat with these questions. Hmmmm, why hasn’t it worked out with any past guys? Maybe because they’re all D-list celebs. That’d be my guess. I mean, did anyone really expect things to work out with Emily and Jeremy Shockey? Like that guy was interested in being a step father to Ricki? Uhhhhh, probably not. I don’t really remember Emily’s answer other than being very generic. She likes guys, guys like her, it just didn’t work out. Safe and doesn’t get into anything specific. Jef then asks Emily if she thinks he’s a good fit for Ricki and he’d make a good father. Emily loved this question and gave him the thumbs up. Jef: “It made me happy when Emily says she can picture me there when she’s making lunch for Ricki.” Well, duh. That’s because she’d be making your lunch as well. Lunchables, Capri Sun, a banana, and a fruit roll up all neatly placed into your Avengers lunch box, then put into your Incredible Hulk backpack. Oh wait, that’s Nicholas’ school stuff. Well, whatever. Same difference.

1. bklover

July 11, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Much has been discussed about Emily declining to have any of the final three spend the night in the fantasy suites due to her wanting to set a good example for her daughter, etc. But didn’t she spend the night in the fantasy suite with Brad on his season?

2. jillbeau

July 11, 2012 at 12:17 PM

@Kali,
    I couldn’t agree more! I only found RS’ site during Ashley Hebert’s season, and halfway through at that. It came up when I did a simple google search of something like “Who does Ashley Hebert pick?” It was only then that I was introduced to the world to Bachelor/ette spoilers. I have watched nearly every season prior and had no idea about spoilers. If you’re not looking for them, you’re not going to find them.

3. JovisMom

July 11, 2012 at 12:21 PM

@ bklover – I am almost certain that she did not spend the night with Brad. I think she went and talked with him a little off camera but I believe it was like Sean’s date, where she left afterwards.

4. RDTF

July 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM

During the tweeting frenzy I finally couldn’t take it anymore and tweeted to Fleiss that he really needed to take a break….and also said that he was obviously unaware that people that read the spoilers still watch the show. Trust me, viewership is really all that matters to a producer.

5. lcs85

July 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

I haven’t posted in 2 days! Why do I keep getting an error saying I’m posting to quickly?

@jillbeau and @Kali

I just looked at Fleiss’ twitter, and didn’t see anyone claiming to have accidently came on RS and read spoilers. Thats not what they said at all. The only person who commented said she saw in the comment section of Ashley’s blog (on ABC.com so you know she isn’t promoting RS) who RS picks to win. That is actually how I found out about RS. Not Ashley’s blog, but another recap blog where someone posted in the comments that RS is saying Vienna wins Jake’s season. I didn’t go searching for spoilers, and I wasn’t looking to see who won. But once you read someone’s comment its not like you can unsee it, or decide that oh, that comments going to spoiler, I won’t read it.

6. brooklyngirl

July 11, 2012 at 12:46 PM

7. twinkie kitty face

July 11, 2012 at 12:54 PM

cotton patch – really?

8. RDTF

July 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM

brooklyngirl that’s funny – would love to know what Steve thinks about that

9. JovisMom

July 11, 2012 at 12:59 PM

That is what I posted earlier on this thread….Might happen. There is all this craziness that is suppose to happen…

10. jules1

July 11, 2012 at 1:56 PM

RS comments about this on his twitter page: RealitySteve ?@RealitySteve
    “For those asking, thats not Perez’s story. It’s on In Touch’s website today. Consider the source. Just more tabloid garbage.”
    I completely agree – this is tabloid B.S.

11. DallasMs

July 11, 2012 at 1:59 PM

@Sunnyside422
    Let it be known, I’m “Team Sean”. But I commented to my friend that he does NOT appear to be a good kisser! It’s not that he misses the mouth/lips…he just doesn’t have the skills. Arie does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for me, but I can tell…he’s got the kissing skills down. Jef? Meah. He looks like a little boy. But if you look at pictures of Ricky Hendrick….I see similarities.

Sean was my pick from a character, and maturity standpoint. But even though he was my fave…I have to admit…he IS a bit boring. In spite of the “I still live here” and “steamed armadillo” at hometown, he doesn’t come across very playful. I think he is by far more solid, but Emily’s smile when she’s with Jef is just radiant. When he was reading her that letter, I thought she’d split her face open she smiled so big. To each his own. It’s not lasting anyway!

12. awachspress

July 11, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Reality Steve,
    Is it true that Jef was her second pick?

13. bluegnu63

July 11, 2012 at 3:28 PM

So much has been made about Jef’s youthful looks, but at least he’s going to be one young-looking grandpa someday, LOL. Even with silver or white hair.;)

14. oliver12

July 11, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I heard on E! News tonight that one of the guys (Arie) leaves before the final rose ceremony because he can’t handle the pressure of what is going on and is not sure about the relationship, leaving Jef to win by default. Have you heard any rumors that this is true? Thanks!

15. karynr

July 11, 2012 at 4:53 PM

There have been rumors flying around the past few hours. One rumor is that one of the guys tells he he’s not ready to get engaged and leaves, and another one is that Emily can’t decide and pulls a Brad.

And it could all be hype to make it the MOST DRAMATIC FINALE EVER!

16. missie

July 11, 2012 at 6:45 PM

My guess from the previews is that Emily sends one guy home before the end, like Ali F did when she just had Roberto at the end. Her dad saying you cant love two people at once can mean to her, there has to be one that you actually love and not the other. But what do I know!!

17. jillbeau

July 11, 2012 at 7:37 PM

@LCS85,
    I definitely see your point! I did not read any blogs or anything either before finding RS. So I guess that I was opposite of you. I wasn’t aware that Ashley Spivey’s blog existed, Dana Weiss, etc before finding Reality Steve’s website and seeing comments regarding those blogs. I would just watch the show and be done with it. Now I’ve been introduced to this crazy world… 🙂

18. ccway

July 11, 2012 at 8:01 PM

Jellybug- I totally agree with you re Chris Harrison. I thought I was imagining it until I read comments that other people saw the same. Probably wrong but personally I think that would be an awesome ending. Although I do like Jef too. Was team Arie until she started questioning him and his answered led me to believe he isn’t quite ready to settle down. We will see…

19. rustypup

July 11, 2012 at 10:32 PM

This article made me lol because it states that Jeff is talking to the media, yada yada. So who knows if this most recent ‘spoiler’ is correct. I doubt it. If Jeff was her second choice, and they barely knew each other after a handful of dates, why would he in his right mind stay with her?

20. kasey31

July 11, 2012 at 11:35 PM

@liz123- just got home from a wedding.. yes, on a wed.. bc they wanted to get married on 7-11 at 7:11, not to be confused with the convenience store bc that’s what i thought she meant for the first couple of weeks..anyway, of course u would notice i spelled nazi wrong!!!! always trying to pick a fight with me.. LOL just kidding 😉

i was just trying to see if anyone picked up on it haha.. no, i just spelled it incorrectly.. it’s not that i am a spelling bee champ, and lord knows, i have many typos when i do comment.. but it’s the grammar that drives me nuts.. like one poster said the “their, or there,” instead of “they’re” little stuff like that.. shouldnt have said anything bc now i will get blasted for anything i might spell incorrectly.. and im way too lazy to double check..

21. kasey31

July 11, 2012 at 11:42 PM

ps.. she did stay with brad..she said she wanted to set a good example for ricki, but she also said she couldnt decline the time it would allow for them to be together off camera.. the camera didnt show her leaving at night or in the am.. but im thinking she did stay over and they probably just talked.. i also think that’s why she was so upset with brad at the atfr ceremony bc he said early on he knew it was emily he wanted to be with, but he still chose to stay with the other two women in the fantasy suites.. im thinking she was under the impression that it was only her.. OR she knew if she declined there’d be a chance he wouldnt pick her.. but this time, she is the one in control..

22. shelly44

July 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM

Its ok Steve, that you were a little late to write your summary.

I was entertained in the meantime by going to the Bachelor and Bachelorette Forums in the Arie thread. A user Kelso__ is having a meltdown!

23. bigfatwoman

July 12, 2012 at 8:34 AM

I really loved the diamond bird necklace Emily had on on Monday’s show…..so I did some research and found out about all 3 necklaces she was wearing at the end of the show:

Diamond bird : $4409
    Diamond chain links: $2200
    Ivory beaded necklace: $5000

I guess it’s very possible her wardrobe budget was over $300k. Yeesh!!

24. annanoor1975

July 12, 2012 at 8:49 AM

@cyndi Can you please add me back to the fb page. I had access but was away last week and now don’t have access. I requested to join the group again. I don’t post much here but read all of the comments . Thanks

25. iheartvino

July 12, 2012 at 8:58 AM

For those of you curious about Emily’s fashion and where you can buy what she wears on the show, check out this site:

@Kasey, I’m with you on the grammar issue!! My biggest pet peeve of all is when grown, well-educated adults mix up “you’re” and “your.” Is it really THAT hard to remember which is which? My favorite is when someone says “your stupid.” Umm…. REALLY?

26. JovisMom

July 12, 2012 at 9:13 AM

@ bigfatwoman

“Diamond bird : $4409
    Diamond chain links: $2200
    Ivory beaded necklace: $5000

I guess it’s very possible her wardrobe budget was over $300k. Yeesh!!”

YIKES!!! I loved that bird necklace too!! I’m sure you can find a knock off somewhere…You may want to try
    I didn’t see one when I looked yesterday but since that just aired they may have one in a few weeks.

27. annanoor1975

July 12, 2012 at 9:33 AM

thanks for the add Brandi to the facebook page. Since I am posting here, I already posted this on the fb page I thought I would ask

Sorry if this is a repost but the most burning question I have is how many people really believe that RS never paid for info? When it came out that he said he would pay those contestants and then MF got wind of it, RS admitted to it as it became public knowledge as there were emails and the contestants stated this. But how many contestants or people associated with the show may have been paid for spoilers and haven’t revealed this as it also puts them in a bind. I for one do not believe that RS never paid for spoilers. Why only start saying you offered to pay for spoilers this late in the game. He’s been spoiling since Jason/Molly/Melissa. I don’t post much here because RS does annoy me but I love reading your comments 🙂

28. kasey31

July 12, 2012 at 11:02 PM

@iheartvino- LOL.. that is probably the one that people mix up the most, YOURE so right : )… and technology doesnt help bc now people just write “ur stupid” but, yes.. if youre going to use those words in your statements, make sure youre using them correctly for your own sake ; ).. pleeease!