Bachelor Pad 3

“Reader Emails,” “Dr. Reality Steve,” & Who’s Not the “Bachelor”

For all the drunken stupidity and nonsense that is Bachelor Pad, the Keep/Share finale makes it one of the more interesting reality shows on TV. If you read about the Prisoner’s Dilemma, it’s fascinating stuff. For Nick and Rachel, it benefits both players to Keep no matter what they expect the other player to do. So, the question is whether cooperation can arise among rational egoists. Based on science, the answer is “Yes, but only if the players expect to meet again in repeated cooperative engagements.”

That does not apply to BP! The finale is a one-shot deal. Nick and Rachel will never be in this situation again. Therefore, Nick made the only rational decision a person can make. This didn’t happen in previous seasons because emotions were involved. The couples had formed a bond and they were afraid of looking like dicks on national TV. But that’s out the window now! Nick has broken the stigma of deciding to Keep (it’s a game, after all), and Rachel suffers the frustration of going home with nothing and the embarrassment of being exposed as a sucker on national TV. This precedent will certainly influence future finalists.

My prediction for the next BP finale is that both finalists will choose to Keep, and they will go home with nothing. How can it be otherwise? It’s the only rational decision either party can make. Even if the couple has a strong bond, the possibility of being the next Rachel will be too humiliating to risk. Or maybe one contestant will intentionally build the appearance of a bond, and then stab the person in the back at the finale. After the Nick/Rachael finale, I can’t imagine a scenario where both contestants would trust and like each other enough to choose Share.

I love this show! It’s such a mind-f**k. And it has boobies.

Comment: The best part of this email was the last sentence. Sounds like something I would say.

I think that’s exactly why Nick could choose “Keep” with a solid conscience. He owed Rachel nothing. They became partners by default. They weren’t hooking up, he wasn’t messing with her head, and the guy survived two earlier rose ceremonies.

However, any “couple” that gets to the end, that was together for most of the show and was sleeping together, I really can’t see either of them choosing “Keep.” That person would be looked upon as too much of a villain in every sense of the word. Nick didn’t have to worry about that because he got his “partner” when the show was more than half over.
________________________________________________________

Hi Steve,

I’ve been a longtime reader of your site- love your hilarious recaps!

My question is: How do you write your recaps? Do you watch an entire episode of Bachelor/ette/Pad and take notes as you go along, and flesh them out more later? Do you ever rewatch an episode or certain part(s) so you can expand more on it later on? I can’t imagine that you (or anyone) would be able to stomach watching 4 hours of these shows in one night…but you never know!

Also, I don’t know if you saw, but production showed a shot of the Bachelor mansion highlighting its terrible need for a new paint job. Maybe they should stop watering the driveway and random bridges and spend that time & money on repainting.

Comment: Yes, I take notes. I’ll pause an episode to sometimes get a correct quote, but I never re-watch them unless someone points something out to me that I might’ve missed, then I’ll just go back and watched that part.
________________________________________________________

Hi Steve,

Thanks for keepin it real….well at least as real as reality tv can be!

I have a question about expenses/money/payments from the show to the contestants. I know you’ve addressed the payments or lack thereof that contestants receive, but what about all the travel expenses for the events?

I’m not talking about the around the world journeys to exotic destinations to find true love, as that’s certainly covered by the show. What about travel to and from LA for the show? What about travel and accomodations for the Men/Women Tell All and AFTR tapings? And what about the travel, hotels, and meals for the debauchery filled reunions?

That’s just the official events….throw in the charity events and unofficial reunions and this is probably more of a full-time job and commitment than anything else many of these people have seen. Given the ‘professions’ of many of these folks, I can’t imagine that many have lots of savings and ability to travel extensively on their own dime. So how do they afford it??

Comment: All your flights, hotels, and meals are pretty much paid for on the show if it’s an ABC function. You’re not coming out of pocket with anything. The unofficial reunions, those are on your own dime, but, there’s usually things within that reunion that are comped, which is why they put those events on. Trust me, some of these people have let the show get to their head so much that they WON’T appear at something unless it’s paid for.
________________________________________________________

Hey Steve,

I love your commentaries on special secret information on all these
stupid shows. It’s affected how I see not only reality shows, but all
television shows. I’d love to see something done on the English shows.
For instance, right now there is some genuinely hilarious retardation
going on between The Situation, Prince Lorenzo Borghese and a “model”
called Danica Thrall in the UK version of Celebrity Big Brother. I
think there would be a market for that sort of thing if you wanted to
start covering it.

Otherwise, are you aware of, or would you be prepared to recommend any
site that does cover English shows. I can’t find one like yours.

Comment: I don’t watch English shows. I don’t really know how I’d be able to recap them when they don’t air here in the states. And if they did, I still wouldn’t watch them. Enjoy your tea and crumpets.
________________________________________________________

I have a question about the Bachelor Pad prize money. I remember watching “For Love or Money” on NBC several years back. They constantly touted their $1 million potential prize if the lead picked money over “love.” Then, I noticed in small print at the bottom of the credits that the prize was paid out in equal installments over the next forty years. All of a sudden, $1 million becomes $25,000 per year before taxes. It doesn’t seem so exciting then.

So, does the Bachelor Pad winner(s) get the prize in a lump sum, or is it paid out over 20, 30, or 40 years? If it is paid out over 20 years, that would be $12,500 per year, with probably $8,000 after taxes. A nice little spending money, but certainly not life-changing. If you shared the prize, you’d be down to $4,000 per year. Looking at it that way, Rachel shouldn’t feel so bad about Nick picking Keep. If ABC loosens the purse strings and gives it as a lump sum, then she has more of a reason to cry in her beer.

Comment: The Bachelor Pad check is one lump sum.
________________________________________________________

Hi Steve,

2 questions for you –

1) Do producers or someone else from the Bachelor/ette team have any continuing role in monitoring the final couple after a season ends? In other words, does the show try to encourage couples to stay together, work with them in any way, to try to keep the couple from inevitably breaking up? I could understand why the show would be invested in a couple’s success, so I wondered if they take any affirmative action to try to keep them together.

2) On Bachelor Pad, other than the Bachelor fan debacle, does this season suck so much b/c they based casting decisions on who had hooked up and been around for Bachelor reunions rather than people who were actually fan favorites? I don’t remember Sarah or Nick at all and even Jaclyn wasn’t a huge part of her season. I’d much rather see memorable contestants from seasons past, and more “throwbacks” from not just the most reason seasons, as opposed to people who I have no idea which season they were on but have managed to hook up with a lot of people after the fact. Just curious on your thoughts.

Thanks, and keep fighting the good fight.

Comment: 1) No. They could care less what happens to the couple once the show ends. They pretend like they care, but they really don’t. You are yesterday’s news to them once your season is over.

2) Maybe you’re not seeing “memorable” contestants from season’s past because they don’t want to be on “Bachelor Pad” knowing the stigma attached to it. You think this show has a good reputation? Neither do I. I would tell any former contestant who asked me if they should go on it to not do it. And I have. A few times.
________________________________________________________

1. lcs85

August 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM

I guess this is what RS meant when he said its going to be slow here until The Bachelor starts up again.

6 paragraphs on how technically Michael was dating someone before the show, but technically he wasn’t?

2. heliofan

August 30, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I wish he would tell us why he’s 100% sure Arie won’t be the bachelor if Roberto says “no”.

3. Sunnyside422

August 30, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Or why he feels Jef and Emily won’t ever marry. Does he feel one or both of them are total fakes? Just a few lines would do. He seems so adamant about it. And IF they do marry, will he send them an RS present? Ahhh Steve give up your reasons.

4. karynr

August 30, 2012 at 4:21 PM

helioifan, are you looking forward to Sept. 24th??!!

I would love to know why RS is so adamant about Arie not having a shot at The Bach! I would think he would draw a lot more viewers than Sean or Roberto. I wouldn’t mind Roberto, since he’s so fine to look at, but if they’re looking for drama and passion, Arie would be the logical choice. Sean is nice, but so bland, they’d have to pray for a house full of lively women to make it halfway interesting.

5. DawsMA

August 30, 2012 at 5:22 PM

I wonder if Fleiss et al would ever choose Arie just to make RS look bad. Probably not worth it but it’s not like Arie would be horrible or anything. I just don’t get why RS is so sure it can’t be Arie. But I’m happy to watch Roberto or Sean too!

6. canpov

August 30, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Just a guess here, but if Arie is made to be the Bachelor, they’ll have to deal with the whole Cassie issue even more since it will look like a ‘who you know’ thing.

I have to say tho, that I always prefer watching a ‘runner-up’ instead of a ‘winner’ as the lead. I know it sounds crazy, but it just feels like the winner already had a chance, and blew it!

7. steffy

August 30, 2012 at 5:52 PM

The over 40 crowd probably wants Sean but Arie would be a perfect bach catch. I hope Fleiss casts Arie and makes Steve eat his words at the same time.

8. Meghan

August 30, 2012 at 6:20 PM

3 seasons of coming to this site, and the comments section has finally sucked me in. Hoping I won’t get crackled.

I too would love to know how RS can be so sure Arie isn’t the next Bachelor. Personally, casting Arie would probably make me more likely to watch–he just has a certain sexy charisma about him. I’m not familiar with Roberto, but Sean is just boring to me. And while I admit he has a nice build, I don’t really find him attractive. I get that people watch for the drama between contestants, but after watching the stone-cold stoic, Ben, all last season, it’d be nice to have a lead that was interesting to watch.

I have to agree with the person who wrote the email about Emily and Jef posting pictures of Ricki. It seems weird to me that Emily would post pictures of her anyway, after all that she said about wanting to keep Ricki out of the media and that lifestyle. I mean, there is an article on wetpaint.com with a picture Emily posted of Ricki at the doctor’s office having a checkup. Am I the only one who finds this a little weird–and even a little disturbing? Maybe Ricki knows her pictures are all over the internet, maybe she doesn’t—I don’t know, but she is too young to know whether she wants her privacy invaded like that. And now using pictures of her as a response to a tabloid cheating scandal…just creeps me out. Maybe it’s just me.

9. heliofan

August 30, 2012 at 7:33 PM

@karnyr….yes I am looking forward to the 24th. Funny thing is only watched one season in the past and the and that was the one Helio won 🙂

10. kasey31

August 30, 2012 at 10:21 PM

my god! i couldnt bare to ready anymore dr. reality steve emails after like the 3rd one.. dont these people have friends to ask for advice?

i get that some people want to maintain their privacy or just want an opinion from a third party, but i just cant imagine having these significant events taking place in my life and then thinking, “you know what? let me ask steve.. hes the perfect guy for this!” no offense, steve! ; )

but seriously.. talking about cheating on your spouse or soon to be husband? and steve is the first person you think of emailing? boggles my mind..

11. nobody1

August 31, 2012 at 6:09 AM

@Sunnyside:

If either Emily or Jef are fake, it is absolutely 100% going to be Emily. Jef, the poor delusional kid that he is, probably thinks he’s in a real relationship. I would hope the texts she is sending around raise the necessary red flags.

On the other hand, they both could be fake as hell and simply going through the motions as outlined in their contract from ABC.

Why do I bother posting this? I really don’t give a shit about either one of them.

12. truebachelorfan4ever

August 31, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Sorry Steve, but I really hope you are wrong….Arie would be the best choice for the next bachelor. I had never missed a bachelor/bachelorette season untill they decided to cast boring ashley and even more boring Ben, and was ECSTATIC when Emily was cast, I hope to god they don’t cast Roberto or Sean they would be way to boring to watch, I would love to see Arie, Brad Womack or Ed!

13. lgskelly

August 31, 2012 at 10:06 AM

Long time reader; first time commenter.

Re: Arie maybe/maybe not being the next Bachelor, two comments:

1. I thought the same thing about Fleiss picking Arie just so he can gloat that RS is incorrect; we all know Fleiss, or one of his minions, reads this Blog; and,

2. I agree that the Cassie thing would be an issue again and although Fleiss likes drama on the show, he must have affection for Cassie so as not to put her through the situation again (although the whole Arie/Cassie drama was really a “non issue”).

The Bachelor really isn’t a show that looks to have 2 people find each other and fall in love. It is a show that thrives off the drama surrounding the bachelor/ette and his/her quest for “love.” If Sean is picked to be the Bachelor, he will be just like Ben; Ben was so boring in his season but the show did not lack for drama which is what Fleiss is all about.

14. canpov

August 31, 2012 at 10:08 AM

Would for sure be skipping the 3rd time round for Brad!

15. lgskelly

August 31, 2012 at 10:10 AM

FYI, just to clarify, I like Ben. He is just to dry for my taste. We all know everyone hated Courtney. However, you have to give these 2 credit; after the show was over, they did not do the media tour and you don’t openly see them “parading” themselves around to be noticed. I think, going forward, any Bachelor/ette couple could learn a thing or two from Ben and Courtney on how to conduct themselves after the cameras stop rolling.

16. bstanz

August 31, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Really, truebachelorfan4ever, Arie, Brad Womack or Ed? Brad has already been the bachelor twice and he proved both times that he’s only there for the TV time and paycheck. Ed is just a player who would probably do the same thing bachelor Bob Guiney did, give the ring to the girl he chose without actually proposing. Last I heard was Bob slept with more girls than any other bachelor, he was only there for one reason. Arie, he’s a player from start to finish. I didn’t find him interesting at all, they would have to depend on the girls to make the season interesting if they even considered asking Arie.

I didn’t watch a whole lot of this last season because I didn’t like Emily, never saw her as being genuine even when she was on Brad’s season. I followed what was going on by checking with Reality Steve, and only then did I choose to watch an upcoming episode based on his spoilers.

17. truebachelorfan4ever

August 31, 2012 at 10:35 AM

I know…Brad and Ed are total players, but would be entertaining lol, but Arie on the other hand, I found very sincere in his love for Emily and I do think that if Emily had followed her heart she would have chose Arie as they had such a strong connection, but it seems as though Emily is more concerned with her guys bottom line and I think Jef was a safe choice for her to make and she could see how it went and how well off financially he was, and if it wasn’t enough for her she could use his morman background as the reason it didn’t work, but I think she was truely in love with Arie from the beggining and sadly did not let it play out and see how they were in real life because she knew he did not make enough $$$ to support her lifestyle and Jef was a better bet for the time being.

18. Sunnyside422

August 31, 2012 at 11:34 AM

I think the reason Ben and Courtney were not doing much of a media tour is that no one is interested in these two and the show downplayed them. Ben was too boring and Courtney was disliked too much to have been a positive front for the show.

Jef and Emily seem to be the most popular couple coming out of this franchise thus far so they get all the paps after them and the show promotes them.

19. Athena

August 31, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Sunny, I agree with you that Ben and Courtney aren’t as “popular” as Jef and Emily in some ways, but overall, I don’t think I agree with your statement. Let’s say that Ben’s and Jef’s popularity are probably the same, although we should probably up Ben’s just a bit since he was both a contestant and a lead. And, re: Emily vs Courtney – I liken Emily to “Betty” and Courtney to “Veronica”. Both have plenty of appeal, just to different people and for different reasons. I actually do find it amazing that Ben and Courtney are still together, as neither impressed me with having outstanding communication skills. But hey – what do I know? Only what the people running the show want me to see.

20. kjam

August 31, 2012 at 3:10 PM

Reality Steve is right about Jemily. I know this couple. They are on the skids, totally. On their recent trip to Ghana with People Water, Emily was extremely high-maintenance (big surprise) and Jef couldn’t keep her happy. He’s WAY over his head and totally bought into the Emily delusion. He’s trapped in this reality game and he’s giving it a go, for “honorable” reasons. I wish he’d cut his losses and move on. The faking it is hurting his integrity. Emily is quite okay with throwing in Ricki into the public (or anyone else) to benefit herself. Personally, I can’t see this woman without throwing up a little. FWI, Em, you could smile, wave, say “hi”, hold Jef’s hand, when you’re on stage with him promoting People Water. Might make it look a bit more real…but glad you finally decided that you could make it last night, lol. All your deluded fans were so…lucky?

21. Sunnyside422

August 31, 2012 at 5:18 PM

Perhaps Athena, Ben & Court are together cause if they make it to 2 years, she gets to keep that awful ring he picked out for her. She could always sell it on ebay and some fan would buy it! I never feel sorry for Neil Lang and the costly rings, cause eventually he gets them back anyway!

22. Athena

August 31, 2012 at 6:28 PM

Sunny – If only…:)

23. maxi

August 31, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Well, now that it’s official Arie is out as the next bachelor my interest in the show is sunk…maybe that’s good!:) I was just never a Sean fan.

& kudos to Steve for knowing! I am sure that alone pisses Fleiss off.

24. karynr

September 1, 2012 at 10:31 AM

Damn. I was hoping to watch Arie throw more women up against a wall to kiss them. He was hot and I agree with the person who said he seemed sincere. He seemed like a genuinely nice person.

I know the whole story with Jemily isn’t out there yet, but I agree with the perception that Jef may be in over his head. I changed my mind about Emily during her season and thought maybe she wasn’t as cold and phone as I originally thought, but now I’m starting to wonder if she’s just playing this one big game with everyone, thriving off the media attention, and not caring who she impacts. Her actions and words don’t match up when it comes to her daughter. I guess the questions is, are they both playing the game, or is Jef stuck in some hellish fake relationship with someone playing him? Or, is the media playing everything up, as usual, and they are making an attempt at a true relationship? I guess time will tell!

25. heliofan

September 1, 2012 at 12:09 PM

Karnyr….I’ve met both Arie and his dad a couple of times and both seems very nice. I know Arie Sr.’s edit on the hometown date made it appear that he was cold but I did not get that impression from him at all. Of course just meeting vs knowing them is different but I can tell you that after meeting Danica Patrick in the same avenue she was a total B…so there you go.

26. steffy

September 1, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Who said Arie was out for sure? Steve? ROFLMAO

27. maxi

September 1, 2012 at 9:03 PM

@steffy, arie confirmed he’s not the next bachelor in some interview, basically said he is consentrating on racing.

28. heliofan

September 2, 2012 at 6:35 AM

@ maxi…I saw th.at article this am where he said he’s pulling out of the bachelor franchise right now because he’s trying to get back in a race car.

My son heard a rumor that one of the bigger IndyCar teams is looking at him to replace one of their drivers. I hope it’s true. Would love to see him in the IndyCar series.

29. karynr

September 2, 2012 at 8:11 AM

heliofan, I didn’t get the impression Arie Sr. was cold. In fact, when he told Emily they were talking about her (when they swiched languages) during the hometown date, I got the impression he has a good sense of humor and can be quite charming. I looked up his parents address, because I knew it wasn’t far from me, and they live about 2-3 miles up the street. Maybe I’ll run in to one of them one of these days??!!

Now I’m hoping for Roberto. Sean doesn’t do a thing for me, unless his shirt is off. I sure hope it’s not another boring season. Ben’s turn as the Bach was soooo bad.

I’ve heard that about Danica Patrick.

30. steffy

September 2, 2012 at 10:49 AM

Thanks Maxi, good for Arie, bad for me. I don’t care for Sean or Roberto, but if it comes down to the two of them I vote for Roberto. Sean seems boring.

31. heliofan

September 2, 2012 at 11:09 AM

@kaynr…hope you do get to meet the Luyndyks….that would be cool. Glad you got a good impression on Arie Sr. on the hometown dates. Some people I work with didn’t like Arie’s family and I told them it was the edit.

32. claudia1

September 4, 2012 at 7:02 PM

Please let SEAN be the next Bachelor!!!!!!!!!!!