Interviews

The Bachelor Sean Recap Including Clips from Jimmy Kimmel & My Interview with Susie Meister

Wanna hear something funny? So last week in my column when talking about Catherine’s vegan blog that she writes, I made reference to the fact that you can feel free to shoot me if you ever catch me eating a vegan donut. Lo and behold at the end of last week, I got an email from a vegan treat place in Pennsylvania telling me that they are a fan of the column and would gladly send me a box of vegan donuts just to try out. Here’s the problem: I like regular donuts waaaaaaaaay too much to ever think for a second I’ll enjoy eating a vegan donut. So I politely rejected their offer, although much appreciated, I just can’t bring myself to cheat on my chocolate bar, chocolate rainbow sprinkles, and glazed twist friends. Sorry. But hey, if Winchells or Dunkin Donuts wanna hook me up, you know where to reach me.

So the #1 thing I’ve been asked since last night on Twitter or email is Sean’s appearance on Jimmy Kimmel. If you haven’t seen it, here’s a clip:

Yes, I’m aware that for the 3rd consecutive season (Ben, then Emily, and now Sean), after one episode, Jimmy is correctly predicting the final four and the winner, all while pretending none of this information has been out there on the internet since I posted back on November 26th. I get it. It’s his thing now and it’s obvious his writing/research team read spoilers. I mean, at this point, I think it’s funny that it’s a running joke where he’s telling America what the ending is without saying he really knows. All it does is indirectly draw attention to my spoilers, so thank you to everyone over at the Jimmy Kimmel show for increased readership. I actually thought these bits were some of the better ones they’ve done in a while. Good stuff:

And finally, I did an interview last week with Susie Meister of the “Real World/Road Rules Challenge” fame, that you can check out by clicking on this link. If you’re kinda new to my site and you don’t want to ask a repetitive question about how I got started in this, how I started with spoilers, why I’m being sued, etc. go take a listen. Kind of a refresher course as well in case you’ve forgotten. One thing I learned from the interview is that apparently I lead a pretty empty life because I have nothing in the trunk of my car. Enjoy. Lets get started…

1. crystalcadz

January 15, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Ok…so Sean totally had that serious poker face going on, until he started smiling…yeah, he totally couldn’t hold it…and he totally gave it away just by doing that…hahaha…

2. quinn

January 15, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Steve – reading your blog is the only reason I watch the show anymore, this season is BORING so far. Also, for the single ladies who watch — my friend turned me on to a bachelor blog called Dating, for Unicorns that pulls real life dating advice based on the mistakes the girls make in the episodes, it’s good stuff!! http://datingforunicorns.wordpress.com/

3. cangel44

January 15, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Next time you visit your sister try M&M donuts on Katella. They have crazy hours 9:00pm-12:30PM and they sell the famous Blueberry donuts…..expect to wait 1-2 hours if you get there after 9:00pm 😀

4. rollingeyes

January 15, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Ha ha….@quinn….you know what a unicorn is right? Well, in the Swingers world at least……It is a single girl willing to hook up with men and women or couples, and she is bi-sexual. They are called unicorns because some people don’t believe they exist because they are rare and hard to find, and if you do, you are really lucky.

Don’t ask me how I know this. 😉

5. JovisMom

January 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM

I’m with Steve…. I like Catherine(Unlike Punk Jef) a lot but so far I just don’t “see it” with her and him…. Any self respecting Texan (myself included) would be friends with a vegitarian or vegan but marry…. Nope never! LOL!!!
    The deal w\ Robyn was strange asking about race and all. Why did he keep that other black girl (leslie-?) she hasn’t even gotten and air time and she kinda looks like a drag queen.

6. cindy01

January 15, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Wow..I would have never figured that out about the ITM of Kacie, that just goes to show how ridiculously edited this show is. I agree with Steve why in the world to go to that much trouble to go get a clip that happened in Ben’s season to use for this season. Unbelievable!

I only started watching this show when Brad was the Bachelor the second time. I watch for the comic relief only and not to watch a romance transform.

I had to laugh when Steve commented on the editing that went on when they showed Amanda’s face because I noticed that right off. Now you know this girl didn’t look like that the whole time she sat there and then ignored everyone that tryed to talk with her..I mean c’mon…Lol.

Well I do have to say this show is getting worse every season since the first time I watched.
    Also, am I the only one that just doesn’t like Sean as the Bachelor?? The guy seems really nice but he is just plain boring to me. Oh well, I’m sure I will watch anyway this season but I sure wish they would pick different kind of guys in the future.

7. quinn

January 15, 2013 at 12:35 PM

@rollingeyes — no I did not know that!! I guess unicorn has more than one meaning….haha, too funny.

8. Kaleb

January 15, 2013 at 1:11 PM

I have to agree and say that without the spoilers I wouldn’t be watching the show. For some reason this season seems slooow. There’s nothing happening, hence them pulling out that old clip of Kacie.

I do like Sean though, as boring as he seems. He seems like a stand-up guy. I like the way he thanks them for their time and coming out there. And one the first episode he kept saying…”I look forward to talking inside” or some variation of it. He seems extremely sincere in acknowledging that these women took a break from their lives to be there. Whatever the reason is.

9. ashinkc

January 15, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Steve,

I have been reading your column for years and have encouraged my friends to read it as it makes the show more fun. I have to say that this was my FAVORITE post, EVER. I was rocking my 8 week old to sleep while reading your column on my phone and I started laughing out loud (my favorite part was describing Amanda’s hair) as the whole column is hilarious! I had to sign up just to leave you this comment because I was quite entertained! Thank you for bringing true entertainment to your readers!

10. ironside

January 15, 2013 at 2:14 PM

I find it hilarious and hypocrtical that on ABCs Jimmie Kimmell that Jimmie can present the same final four spoilers as you have posted on your site to “promote” the Bachelor, but then Fleiss files suit alleging that it hurts the show. WTF?

11. mommyof2

January 15, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I really like Sean a lot. I actually agree with Chris Harrison that Sean does seem like one of the more sincere Bachelors they’ve ever had (tied with Andrew Firestone, who is still my favorite bachelor, and Andy Baldwin- the Navy doctor). Sean just seems like a genuine, family-oriented, Southern-gentleman, all-American guy with strong values.

I am one of the many women who Steve refers to who is on the Desiree band-wagon. She seems like the perfect match for Sean in that she seems like a normal, genuine, kind-hearted girl- and she’s beautiful. I agree that it was plainly obvious that she knew that the art falling was a prank. She never looked concerned, and it was just ridiculous. I didn’t think it was funny either- it was actually quite stupid. I liked her even more that she didn’t fall for it, nor did she act for it. She’s my pick for him at this point, but that could change.

I watched JK last night, and when he announced his predictions for Sean’s final 4, I knew then that he obviously reads Reality Steve. No question! Awesome!

12. mommyof2

January 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Oh, and I like Sarah, too, in that she seems kind and genuine, and I hope she finds someone who accepts her for who she is. That being said, I thought the same thing about her voice. I told my husband that her voice drives me crazy, and I wouldn’t be able to handle a long conversation with her. I told him she must be from Southern California b/c I remember going out there in 2000, and a lot of girls talk like that. Ugh! No offense to SoCal- it’s beautiful there, and not everyone speaks in that way, but many do, and it’s annoying.

13. gunmetablack

January 15, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Don’t ANY of you GET IT? Catherine was only preselected so the show can reach out to its expanding Asian American female (East asian, as in Filipino, Chinese, Korean, etc.) audience. This is the large demographic group that is with white men, or prefer white men. More of those viewers = more $$$ for the show. Let me guess, one of the final dates will also be in an East Asian country?

14. randais

January 15, 2013 at 3:37 PM

You could guess OR you could just read RS’ spoilers…..just saying.

15. lindseym

January 15, 2013 at 3:38 PM

I love Sean as the bachelor, but there is NO way I would ever watch the show without your spoilers and honest, raw commentary. GREAT JOB STEVE!!! Love your work.

16. kbntn

January 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM

@ironside… my thoughts exactly! Drop it ABC… you have been busted for sure.

Steve…. another hilarious blog! 😀

17. oyoung1117

January 15, 2013 at 4:26 PM

I will admit I’ve always been a huge Sean fan so this may not be entirely objective. But I love him as the Bachelor ! I don’t understand why everyone thinks he is boring. The first two episodes are never super entertaining since we are just getting to know the contestants and the story lines are just being set up so of course they aren’t as exciting. And as RS is fond of saying, it has nothing to do with who the bachelor/ette is and everything to do with the contestants anyway. But to me this is way more fun to watch than Ben’s gross hair and frat boy personality base all of his decisions off his penis. With Ben I couldn’t care less who he ended up with, but thought Courtney would be just fine since they deserved one another. Sean is such a great guy I am actually going to be invested in his choice (no matter how contrived it may be).

18. natasha

January 15, 2013 at 6:06 PM

I don’t think Sean and Catherine as a couple is a stretch. I’m an asian vegetarian who has been dating a meat loving Texan for 3 years, and our differences are not a huge issue. Sean seems intelligent and open to other cultures, and not your typical Texas douche bag like JovisMom.

19. elizabeth82

January 15, 2013 at 7:34 PM

What does Steve have against Catherine–just the vegan thing? I haven’t seen enough of her yet to know how likable she is or what their connection is like (I do wish she’d lay off the “hunk” and “beefcake” comments, though). So unless Steve has actually seen a bunch of future episodes, how can he know, either? I also don’t get why Steve is hung up on Lindsay; must be her looks. It’s presumptuous to say the viewers are going to like Lindsay and AshLee as much as Desiree once we see their one-on-one dates.

The exploitation of Sara was almost unwatchable. I do like her, though, but I agree that her voice is hard to take. Kacie came off as a little too cocky and ruthless but that could have been the editing. Bringing her back was a bad idea–wait, they should have brought her back as the Bachelorette instead of Emily, but not back onto “The Bachelor” again.

Sean should have paid more attention to Arie’s kissing lessons, ha.

20. minearereal

January 15, 2013 at 7:39 PM

@cangel44 – Thanks for the recommendation on the donuts. I’m going to be trying that out soon! Never heard of that place and I don’t live too far away. I love blueberry just about anything. 🙂

@mommyof2 – And where are you from? Not fair to generalize like that. I have lived in So Cal almost my whole life (since I was 10 years old)…and I don’t take too kindly to what you said “a lot of girls talk like that”, not all but “many do”. Heck…most people living in So Cal are transplants anyway…I guess even I am since my folks moved us here when I was 10 years old (over 30 years ago).

21. lucky

January 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM

Thanks Steve for a good recap. I haven’t watched yet and not sure I will. I really appreciated the JK videos-pretty funny. Also, liked seeing the Brad 2.0 video. Anyone remember Ashley getting drunk in the hot tub (I think that was the night before and that’s why Brad pulled her away). All was forgiven and she became the bachelorette, so no big deal about Lindsey. She wasn’t falling down drunk on night 1, just giggly and cute. And, who wouldn’t feel totally self-conscious in a wedding dress? Anyone know when season 2 of Burning Love is coming out?

22. Missy1982

January 15, 2013 at 9:53 PM

What’s up with Kristy’s teeth? She freaks me out.

23. Missy1982

January 15, 2013 at 9:54 PM

And the multiple ear piercings?? 1995 called…

24. JovisMom

January 16, 2013 at 5:26 AM

@ Natasha – You are not a very nice person. I said nothing bad of Catherine (or even mention her being of a different race then white) or Sean. I will say that in MY EXPERIENCE and MY CIRCLE of friends in Texas for the past 18yrs will agree with my point of view. I will not call you any names because I will not get to your low level. Have a nice day eating carrots! 🙂 I’m going to Burger King for lunch.

25. iammesoucantbe

January 16, 2013 at 6:15 AM

I would have never caught the ITM from last year of Kacie! LOL. Exactly why I read the soilers here.

Also, I am SO GLAD Fraggle Rock (whatever her real name is…..Katie? Whatever.) left on her own. I couldn’t help but laugh when she said she thinks she should go home and Sean all but pushed her out of the cocktail party. Halarious!

26. karynr

January 16, 2013 at 6:52 AM

natasha, your slam against jovismom was uncalled for and downright mean. Coming from the midwest, and loving my red meat a few times a month, I understand completely what she was trying to convey. Lighten up and put your mean somewhere where we don’t have to deal with it.

RS’s recap was hilarious and much more like the old Steve. He hit every point I would have, and I laughed out loud a few times, which hasn’t happended in a while.

Maybe I’m manufacturing something that’s not there yet, but since Catherine came out of the limo, Sean has looked at her like he really likes what he sees. I just don’t like her beef comment and wish she would stop. Otherwise, she seems like one of more normal, drama-free contestants.

Kristy drves me friggin nuts. She looks like a tranny, not a model.

Tierra…..bye bye beyotch…..but not soon enough.

His final four all seem like sweet, fairly normal girls, which leads me to believe the bull Chris and ABC have been slinging might have some truth to it. Maybe Sean is one of just a handful of bachelors who is really there to find someone, and not wallow in the whole famewhore syndrome.

On to Jen Frase….another great, snarky, funny Bach read!

27. megbird711

January 16, 2013 at 7:00 AM

Sean is incredibly boring. If it wasn’t for your column, I wouldn’t be watching the season. And I have watched every season since Jason Mesnick (And I remember thinking his was going to be boring, and it for sure wasn’t. So far though, I have been right about Sean.) Anyway, even ABC is admitting how boring it is by using ITM’s from last year to make drama. If they didn’t have The Little Ball of Hate, or her boobs, they’d be SCREWED.

There’s not a doubt in my mind people will like Lindsay after her 1-on-1. On Ben’s season, everyone loved Kacie, who got the first 1-on-1. Then when Lindzi did, everyone loved her. Same with Nicki. It always goes like this. I think Lindsay would be a hilarious bachelorette, and Desiree bothers me, so hopefully it isn’t Dez.

As far as crazy pants up there freaking out that Catherine was pre-selected because she is Asian, who cares?! Sarah got cast because of one arm, Kacie got cast because she’s cute, Tierra’s boobs got her cast, and the black girls were cast because of the color. No big deal. Sean still picks the girl with the strongest connection, and apparently that was Catherine.

They should bring Arie in to comfort Selma when she gets sent home. Maybe he can pull a kleenex out of his pants to wipe her tears.

28. strick432

January 16, 2013 at 8:30 AM

oh, hell – here we go again – name-calling. Damn…makes no sense. Totally insane.

29. jillbeau

January 16, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I do have to agree with Steve…I’m not seeing it yet either with Catherine. It’s not that she’s done anything wrong. Like another poster said, what gets me the most is her “hunk” and “beefcake” comments. It just makes her sound immature. I’m about the same age as her and I’m pretty sure I haven’t called anyone a hunk since probably high school?…middle school maybe? I’m sure she’s a great person in real life, but I’m not seeing it yet with the limited edit that she has been getting. I’m interested to see how their relationship develops.

30. karynr

January 16, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Strick…no name calling or angry comments from me again. I just thought that was really mean and uncalled for. Sorry…didn’t mean to get into it with anyone!

31. JovisMom

January 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM

@ karynr – Thanks for sticking up for me! 🙂
    I knew someone would understand where I was coming from. She’s a cute girl and seems nice (again we see very little of her so its hard to tell).
    @ jillbeau- The beef cake and hunk comments are kinda immature to me as well… Oh well, I’m looking forward to their 1 on 1 to see how things go.

32. Dianne

January 16, 2013 at 9:35 AM

Whoa, Natasha, what up with the name calling? Who the frig are you to be saying nasty things about anyone? Do you know JovisMom personally? Somehow, I doubt it.
    Grow up a notch, girl!

33. bigfatwoman

January 16, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Steve…..I liked reading your column today and see that others have posted the same sentiment. I think it’s because you did not spend any time patting yourself on the back or telling us on which day in September you told us what was going to happen on episode 3 and then back in October I told you…..blah blah blah. A nice change.

I agree with everyone else about Catherine. She seems sweet and normal until she sounds like a boy crazy high school girl talking about the “beef.” Oy vey honey. Grow up.

I like Desiree a lot. She’s a beautiful girl and seems normal? (is that even possible?)

Anyway….I think this show is boring this season because it’s become sooooo predictable and monotonous. I do however believe that Sean is a good guy and I am really rooting for him. I think he will make some gal very lucky.

34. natasha

January 16, 2013 at 9:37 AM

JovisMom- you are also not a very nice person. I don’t care what you eat, but saying that any self respecting Texan would never be friends with a vegetarian is extremely insulting. I take it as an attack on my beliefs and religion. And your comments about the black girl looking like a drag queen says a lot about who you are.

35. JovisMom

January 16, 2013 at 9:48 AM

natasha – You need to re read what I said – I said they would be friends w\ one but not MARRY one!!! I am friends w\ a vegetarian FYI and she has issues w\ dating men who do eat meat. And YOU said you and your meat eating boyfriend don’t have a “huge issue w\ it” means it is somewhat of an issue. Grow up, learn to read and comprehend what you are reading. And yes that one particular black girl does look like a drag queen. Anyone who is being honest would agree with that. Robyn on the other hand does not at all and is beautiful.

36. randais

January 16, 2013 at 10:16 AM

IDOL AND NASHVILLE tonight!

37. mommyof2

January 16, 2013 at 10:37 AM

@minearereal
    I loved San Diego when I went many years ago, but I did notice that some women who I met talk like Sarah, and it wasn’t something I was use to. I was just sharing my honest opinion, and I didn’t mean to offend you or anyone else who is from SoCal. I know many people are transplants there now as I have friends from here who have moved out there since our trip. I am from the South, so I am sure there are many people who would find my Southern accent annoying, too, if they are not use to it. I was only stating my opinion about Sarah’s voice and others who speak in that accent. It’s just not a preference of mine, just as my accent may not be a preference for others. I did not mean that everyone there speaks like that, and I was in no way degrading Sarah’s or anyone else’s character in my comment. Sarah seems like a sweet, genuine person who deserves someone awesome like Sean, and I hope she finds it. Sorry if I offended you or anyone else.

38. ashleigh11

January 16, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Re Tierra – I can’t get over how completely different she looks when she’s talking to Sean vs when she’s not. Visually it’s almost like a different girl. She’s all soft-features and Disney princess like when she’s looking at Sean and then when the camera is on her in other moments she has the ‘Eyebrows of War’ going on and looks like a guidette extra from Jersey Shore, fresh from her all night drinking binge with JWoww and Snookie. If she didn’t have such a recognizable name, I would swear it’s not even the same girl.

Re Lindsay as the next bachelorette. I like her as a generally pleasant girl, but I don’t see anything in her yet that makes me think she can hold court in the spotlight with 25 guys that will all be eager to propose or will even be able to pull off pretending that they would want to. I find they end up picking more female-friendly prospects as Bachelorettes (since women are more likely to watch the show) vs women that are going to be strongly desired by men (eg. like a Gia Allemand type). Personally, I would love to see more of the latter or even girls with stronger and more colourful personalities rather than the cutesy girl next door types that are sugar-cookie boring.

39. mommyof2

January 16, 2013 at 10:40 AM

And for the record, I had an incredible time in San Diego and I loved it. The people were very friendly and laid back, too, which I liked, and the weather is incredible. I have nothing against Southern California (well, except maybe for…. oh, never mind.)

40. iammesoucantbe

January 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Wow! Some people are so d*mn sensitive. lol. I often wonder how people that sensitive make it in the real world. Me personally (not that anybody cares what I think) I’ve always been a person that’s hard to offend. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and I don’t have to agree with it, but to make a big deal about it? Eh. Too much trouble and headache.

Anyway – Enough about that. Like several people have already said, this is definitely one of Steve’s better columns. I was literally LOL.

Keep’em coming, Steve. I need something to help pass the time at work. Winter is so boring!! Dept of Transportation needs to start doing more work in the winter. Haha. =)

41. Meghan

January 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM

@natasha, I can see where you’re coming from. Being vegan or vegetarian is an extremely arbitrary trait to base the decision to marry someone on. If Sean feels like Catherine is perfect for him in every way besides his love of meat, I don’t see why their relationship would be doomed just because they might eat different things for dinner. How many couples, after years of marriage, end up with different eating habits because one partner goes on a diet, gives up gluten, carbs, etc? I certainly hope such couples are not expected to divorce just to maintain their self-respect. Not trying to start something with anyone, but as a vegetarian I too find it insulting when someone says “no self-respecting person would marry you.” It makes it sound like there is something wrong or ‘less than’ about us, and there isn’t. If anything, the meat-eaters I’ve dated have had a great deal of respect for my making a choice and sticking to it when everyone and everything in my Southern culture told me I was crazy.

42. strick432

January 16, 2013 at 11:47 AM

karynr – you didn’t say anything wrong. I was referring to the person who made a negative comment about jovismom out of the blue!! Just surprised that people still do that. Maybe that person is still a kid or something. I agree about Catherine and her “hunk” and “beef” references. Sounds really childish and immature to me. Obviously she does something later on to make her be “the one”.

43. lobsterandbeer

January 16, 2013 at 12:48 PM

OMG Steve is so juvenile the way he constantly talks about kissing and using tongue. He’s done that too many times gross. Maybe Arie should teach HIM how to kiss!! Some of the most romantic and panty moistening kisses just involve the lips and not someone thrusting a nasty tongue down your throat! Tongues are definitely useful in other areas (wink) but they don’t have to be involved in every kiss especially a first kiss!!

44. Missy1982

January 16, 2013 at 1:24 PM

@iammesoucantbe: This isn’t the real world — it’s a Bachelor blog, aka a full on judgement parade is allowed — and recommended! Have you never watched this show with your girlfriends? So much fun just to trash the chicks, but no one would ever act like that in the real world. We are smart enough to recognize that (1) most of these women are prettier than us anyway; and (2) we are drinking wine and being catty and having fun and not trying to act holier than though about our opinions. You need to relax.

45. gunmetablack

January 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I don’t find the Catherine and Sean relationship to be sincere or true love at all. I only think its preselected to get more $$ for the show, because they can reach out to a more broader audience (The East Asian American and African American audience) . AKA a bigger audience and more advertisements and sponsorships to keep a show that fails at it goals running. The show was already experiencing controversy last season for not having a black Bachelor, so they just wanted to deceptively answer that issue. Although I would not count an East Asian american as counting to address this issue because they are model minorities.

46. mysasi

January 16, 2013 at 1:36 PM

The man who was “Sven” in the prank is a regular actor on Scare Tactics. I don’t watch the show a lot but I’ve seen it a few times and that guy is always on there. It’s possible that Dez recognized him and knew from the start it was a prank.

47. Missy1982

January 16, 2013 at 1:37 PM

*thou

48. minearereal

January 16, 2013 at 8:26 PM

@mommyof2 Thanks for your reply. Was very kind of you to clarify in such a way and I couldn’t agree more. Everyone has a preference, and to each his own. I think southern accents are adorable. 🙂 Glad you enjoyed your trip to San Diego. I too like it down there.

I don’t know who said it and I’m too tired to scroll…but the comment about Arie pulling a kleenex out of his pants was hilarious. LOL

I also felt Steve’s article this time was much better for the reasons others mentioned. Much more enjoyable to read. I didn’t find myself looking to skip ahead like I normally do. And for all his faults and irritating habits (don’t we all have some), I did win some free tickets through him a couple of years ago to the Reality Rocks Expo in Los Angeles…and I couldn’t have had a better time taking my niece. Tim Urban from American Idol was there…and that was her only goal to get a pic with him. lol Her parents were a little freaked that I let her take a pic with Ron Jeremy whom was there too…but I don’t know if she really knew who he was. I hope not anyway…but I may be a bit naive about that. lol

49. gbmommy

January 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Sara sounds like a Kardashian. Annoying, whiny, nasally.

50. RavenFischer

January 17, 2013 at 11:10 AM

My favorite part is when Chris Harrison said some of the pieces of art are worth “supposably” one million dollars. Tells you how bright he is… And how bright the show is for not “fixing it in post.”