The Bachelor 17 - Sean

The Bachelor Sean Recap Including the Date of the “Women Tell All” Taping and Is Tierra Engaged?

A few of you have asked me why the show is airing episodes on back-to-back nights, and the answer is, I have no idea. Maybe they knew they were gonna do this all along, maybe they had original plans to do something else but it got changed to this, I’m not sure. All I know is when the show began Jan. 7th, they had 11 episodes to air, but only 10 Mondays between Jan. 7th and March 11th. So at some point, they were gonna need to do an episode that didn’t air on a Monday. For Emily’s season, remember they aired the finale on Sunday night then went with the live ATFR show. So either they’d have to do that again, or, air two episodes on back-to-back nights. Now with two episodes airing this week, we’ll be halfway through the season after tomorrow night. Amazing how quickly that goes. Last night we started with 11 girls and after next Monday night, we’ll have four. They should do this every season.

Of course one of those 11 episodes in the season is the “Women Tell All,” and I can now confirm that episode tapes in LA on Friday, Feb. 22nd. I’m guessing that episode will be a whole lotta’ Tierra bashing, so get ready for it because you know it’s coming. Lets also consider this a public service announcement for all former guys from this franchise trying to get early dibs on Sean’s women, since the “Tell All” after party is where former contestants go to start laying the groundwork for whose pants they want to get into. Ladies, you’ve been warned. Or not. Maybe that’s what you’re looking forward to about that weekend. Plenty in the past have.

With today’s recap and a recap coming tomorrow for tonight’s episode, I will combine “Reader Emails” and “Dr. Reality Steve” for Thursday’s column for this week only. So get all your questions in the next couple days to steve@realitysteve.com.

As for the end of last night’s episode with the promo showing Sean being given a letter by Chris Harrison at the final rose ceremony, obviously a lot of you want to know what that was about. As I addressed immediately on Twitter after I’d received 8 emails in 10 minutes after the show went off the air, if I knew who wrote the letter or what it was about, I would’ve told you already. With that said, knowing what this show does in their teaser promos (you know, like making you think Desiree has a boyfriend back home when it’s all just a prank), I can almost guarantee you that letter is not as big of deal as they’re making it out to be. If we already know the ending, and we know that Sean is still engaged, I can’t imagine that letter having any sort of major effect on any storyline in any way. If I find out more about it, of course I’ll let you know, but lets just calm down a bit about it for now. It doesn’t change anything that happened on that final day.

Selma took some heat in the last week for her behavior on her date with Sean at Joshua Tree, which then became more suspicious when the modeling shoot You Tube video I posted of her half naked was then removed. Well, she did a conference call with the media on Thursday to clear up her stance on kissing on TV, her religion, her upbringing, and her mothers wishes. Frankly, I’m still confused at the whole thing. So now she’s just saying she was born into a Muslim family but isn’t Muslim whatsoever, and she only didn’t kiss Sean because she promised her mother she wouldn’t? Uhhhh, ok. Gotcha. Whatever you say. You can read Selma’s interview here. They’ve split the interview into three parts, so within the link at the bottom, you can click the other two portions of the interview. As always, this column will contain spoilers. Proceed with caution.

1. jen224

February 5, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Great blog RS!

2. aubry

February 5, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Tierra is a much more manipulative woman and even
    Courtney was. I truly loath her. Sean wants the girls to tell him why they dislike Tierra, yet whoever does gets the boot.

I am beginning to seriously wonder about Sean’s intelligence. He can not see that Tierra is a drama queen? A manipulative attention seeking witch?

I would have sent her packing just for barging in on my group date.

What is bet that the injured girl tonight is Tierra?

I swear I will cheer so loud of sheer happiness when Tierra is sent packing.

If she did manage to manipulate some other poor sucker to propose to her, watching this show will hopefully have him taking his ring back and running.

3. karynr

February 5, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Good one, RS!

I love the “Ball of Hate” name for Tierra the Terror.
    I guess they have to use what they’ve got every season, so they’ll play up any drama as much as possible. Can you imagine how boring it would be without the manufactured drama and sketchy editing?! And I agree with RS on the bad editing during the Robyn/Tierra situation. There were a few times I couldn’t figure out who was or wasn’t part of the group in the room. It was confusing.

4. goosiegirl

February 5, 2013 at 10:01 AM

While watching Lindsay’s date with Sean, I turned to my husband and said, “Her dad’s a general in the Army. She’s had to have seen a cooler helicopter’s than that one.” My husband, who is in the Army, responded, “Her dad has a whole brigade of helicopters cooler than that one!”

5. elizabeth82

February 5, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Funniest part of this recap: “where people stop being polite, and start getting real. The Bachelor. Whitefish.” (The Whitefish part makes it.)

In debriefing with my mom on the episode, I said it was the Tierra Show. Funny that Steve said the same thing.

6. montrealaise

February 5, 2013 at 10:18 AM

So even though Sean knows that every single one of the remaining girls dislikes Tierra (even though they all get along with one another), he still concludes that they are the problem, not Tierra? He’s not the brightest bulb in the chandelier, is he?

7. Athena

February 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

@Tiarra, that whole cocktail party editing job was just so ridiculously confusing that I’m not about to to throw stones at her for whatever she did or didn’t say to whom. Same with producers talking her into crashing the group date-I’m sure it was proposed to her in such a way that any of the girls would’ve gone for it. I wonder how they get the “villain” to do this stuff when the villain know it’s going to leave them being hated by most of America. I actually feel bad for her.

8. Fanannie

February 5, 2013 at 10:24 AM

There is NO WAY that is Tierra’s engagement ring, as that diamond looks to be about 5 or 6 carats. That or she has child sized fingers. It’s way too huge for it to feasibly be her engagement ring.

9. mandyjo79

February 5, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I love to watch and see how many times Sean tells one of the girls he’s “crazy about her”. It’s seriously a lot! Love the recaps!!

10. Steffie

February 5, 2013 at 10:40 AM

Every time I watch this show and I see someone who I think looks pretty cool (Des) that suddenly goes all whacky I wonder why someone doesn’t start a grid about when all of the girls are PMS-ing. To me it is SO OBVIOUS when they are that The Bachelor should be given some type of disclaimer….certainly would make the success rate of the realtionships a little bit better!

11. shouldbeworking

February 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Does anyone else find the activities they’re doing kinda dumb? And tonights jumping into Lake Louise for a swim? It’s glacier water people!! Only fit for polar bears! We Canadians don’t even go swimming in glacier water in the summer !!

12. Dianne

February 5, 2013 at 11:13 AM

@Athena. It’s called money. The producers get the villan to be the villan by paying her extra “bonuses”. Think about it..if you were offered, oh, say, an extra 2 grand or so to be “mean”, wouldn’t you do it? And do you honestly think the “villan” has any clue regarding the editing her little role will receive? I seriously think not. Michelle Money is THE perfect example of this.

13. Athena

February 5, 2013 at 11:19 AM

@Dianne, I’ve been known to act as wacky as Tiarra et al for NO money, so I hear ya. I don’t remember ever hearing that there was money involved to do the farther-out stuff so it’s interesting to think about. Do you know for a fact that this is so? Lucky Courtney – she got to skinny dip with a guy she obviously liked AND she got paid extra for it??? Now I’m beginning to see the appeal of agreeing to be on the show.

14. Sue

February 5, 2013 at 11:27 AM

@shouldbeworking: TPTB are trying to emulate polar bear dips, which are charity events in Canada and the northern U.S. Sure the water was cold, but pretty sure the whole thing was just a crock.

15. Dianne

February 5, 2013 at 11:41 AM

@Athena – pure speculation on my part, but when you consider it, it does make sense. I keep thinking back to Michelle Money, and how she claimed she was “told” to act the way she did. I honstly can’t see anyone wanting to act that horrible, and not be rewarded for it..know what I mean?

16. jillbeau

February 5, 2013 at 12:10 PM

I’m glad that Steve pointed out how annoying Sean was during last night’s episode. I also agree that there was some terrible editing during the cocktail party. It’s didn’t make much sense. It seems like the other girls this season genuinely get along with each other, with the exception of Tierra. So Sean decides to ask some of the girls about Tierra, but is later shown telling Chris that he doesn’t like when the girls talk about Tierra. Just strange. I’m sure the producers were stringing together bits and pieces of the night to make it as dramatic as possible. I honestly think that Sean feels sympathetic towards Tierra because she seems to be struggling with the process and he’s trying to give her the benefit of the doubt. I’m just happy that Sean will see through it and he doesn’t end up engaged to her (ahem…Ben Flajnik).

17. jackie22

February 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Unless I missed it, I can’t believe RS didn’t comment about Sean being clothed, the ENTIRE episode! Crazy!

18. jillbeau

February 5, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Another side note… I giggled when Steve referred to the goat during the group date challenge as a “he”. Unless there’s something I don’t understand about goats, I’m pretty sure that the girls were not milking a male goat.

19. strick432

February 5, 2013 at 12:37 PM

I’ve been watching since Season 1 (Alex Michel, anyone?). Last night’s episode was by far the most annoying and riduculous I’ve ever watched. Steve echoed my thoughts exactly about the 1on1 date w/Lindsay. They showed almost nothing. It went to a commercial and then BAM they are back at the mansion with the Tierra show. I know this stuff is all edited and that the producers tell these people how to act and what to say, but really? Come on….. Granted, until I found Steve’s spoilers, I am one that thought all this stuff was real. I can’t believe I just admitted that, but yes, I did. Now, it’s just silly. I’ll continue to watch, ’cause it’s entertainment. And I always root for the couple, no matter what, even though I know the percentage of them making it is slim to zilch. I kinda liked Sean, but holy moly Batman he annoyed the beJesus outta me last night. So wishy-washy. I hope tonight is a tad better. It seems like the last 2 weeks there have been hardly any girls cut and now with 2 gone last night and 2 more tonight, like Steve said, it’s gettin’ down to the wire already! How time flies when we’re having fun!! heheee

20. Sunnyside422

February 5, 2013 at 1:27 PM

Wonderful recap…thanks Steve! Since I didn’t watch, it was awesome to have your point of view.

I laughed when Steve pronounced Sean dumb! I was totally nodding my head. Sadly Sean has proven himself (with producer encouragement and editing) to be another dumb cluck who signed up for adventure. Zero brain matter in that dude!

Hum so Catherine was giggling, sitting on his lap baby style! This is a couple made in heaven. Dumb and Dumber!

I bet Sean drinks a slurpy the same way he kisses. Thanks for noticing Steve what a total douche he is in that department with his pecks for kisses! I’ll say.

21. kianwi

February 5, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I wish so much that we didn’t know the ending and I could have hope that Sean would end up with Tierra and have to deal with her crap that he is too dumb to see.

And what whiney baby he was this episode. The only reason I am still watching is I am running a Bachelor fantasy league. Not surprisingly, Tierra is the QB on half the teams.

22. bigfatwoman

February 5, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Poll Question — do men like it when women constantly have their lips colored and glossed? Selma seems to look like this all the time and I think it’s such a turnoff.

So far Catherine is playing it really cool. Smart girl. As soon as you start crying to the lead — you seem needy. Chances are high that the original pick for the relationship isn’t going to last, so why not take this whole thing lightly and be above the fray. It might work out for you in the long run.

23. windsurfer

February 5, 2013 at 3:07 PM

Steve, I must confess that I’ve not been your biggest fan but lately, and particularly with Sean’s season, I think you’re really hitting all cylinders. IMHO, Tierra’s edit cannot really be so completely off the mark that what we’re seeing is complete fiction — in fact, whether it’s alcohol or drug related, this woman is beginning to scare the snot out of me (and I don’t scare easily). As a viewer of this train wreck since its inception, I would be hard pressed to come up with a “contestant” (male or female) quite as much of a wack-a-doo as this mess in a dress. Were I Sean (well, were I a clear thinking, intelligent male) I would have told the producers “hell no, she’s outta here!” and demanded that she be dropped off at the closest bus stop.

This recap is absolutely on point in every sense: Sean acts like he’s been Rophyed, keeping Sarah is bordering on the pity factor, Daniella needs a drop-off at the Betty Ford clinic stat, and my 6 year old niece Meghan would do a better job of editing than the fool with the snips. If you read into the few times we see him with Catherine it’s not hard to see they have good chemistry, but it’s absurd to show nothing (except his ability to carry her around and do a Charley McCarthy act on his lap) of their “budding relationship” and yet all of a sudden drop her from the Cloud to #1 in the Device. And Steve, you’re doing a very funny job of pointing all of this nonsense out. Thanks!

24. randais

February 5, 2013 at 3:19 PM

**THE BIGGEST LOSER**
    Going to KISS…keep it short and sweet.
    Jill dodged a bullet and Bob finally lost a contestant! Good episode.

**The Following**
    Great show but I found this episode to be just a touch more predictable. Warning to anyone with animal sensibilities, like me, don’t watch the very end, you’ll see it coming and if you just change the channel/turn it off/leave the room you won’t miss anything. They totally fool you into thinking the email that Joey’s mom gets is WAY more innocent that it is, that’s all I’m going to say.

SMASH tonight! I’m excited.

25. Athena

February 5, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I am NOT trying to criticize or bash her, but I’m honestly wondering if there has been any footage shown where Catherine has shown any personality, depth, or anything other than jr. high “beefcake” giggles, mild snarkiness, and eye rolls. If she’s getting a kind edit, then omg, she’s totally lacking in depth, and if they just aren’t showing us who she really is, why the heck not? Even if they don’t want to make the ending obvious, they could show her in some non-Sean contexts looking and sounding like a grown up. If I were her, I’d be pissed.

26. Mars

February 5, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I didn’t know who the F1 was until I read the spoiler here. I like knowing otherwise I end up feeling too hopeful for the wrong ones or too frustrated seeing the ones I dislike (Tierra) get so far. So it eliminates a lot of stress. lol.

What I do want to comment on is how weird it is that suddenly Catherine went from being a non-player to a frontrunner. At least in front of the cameras. I mean obviously stuff was going on that we didn’t get to see. So I was in total shock that he seemed excited being with her and seeing their chemistry. It was really sweet but she honestly came out of left field. I don’t know…I’m finding this season particularly deceitful. I also can’t believe how boring some of these gorgeous women are! Like Selma. I didn’t know she had modeled semi-nude but it explains a lot. She’s way too pretty to be on this show. And she doesn’t seem to be all that invested in Sean. All she could say on the one on one was, “Where are we going?” Where are we going?” like a 5 years old. I mean zzzzzzz.

27. cheryl1

February 5, 2013 at 5:59 PM

This season rarely makes sense. Robyn was alone talking to the ball of hate in one shot and than surrounded by other girls in another. Seriously, can we see more of Sean and Catherine? They have great chemistry. I don’t mind Sean and Lindsay. But neither are particularly interesting or bright people. Catherine seems to have a more interesting personality, in the little time she is on camera. Maybe she brings out a more interesting side of Sean? I’m over the wackadoddle Tiara…less of her and more of well anything or anyone else!

28. mariet

February 5, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Steve! You missed one of the best quotes of the night! Daniella–“They were sitting on each others’ laps!” My 20 something daughter who never watches the show (yes, I raised her correctly) is home visiting– whoa! wait! how is that possible?!

29. dddarlin63

February 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I agree with Athena. Editing. Making Tierra look way worse that the dialogue doesn’t make sense at all or even flow. I thought Ben’s season was the worst ever but this year is sooo boring and dumb. And I really liked Dean so I hate to even say that.

30. dddarlin63

February 5, 2013 at 6:35 PM

Sean^

31. chickster

February 5, 2013 at 6:42 PM

Season after season it’s the SAME thing. Producers must think viewers are stupid. We get it by now that each season a crazy, controversial person is kept around for ratings and to stir up drama. Do you honestly think that after so many seasons of ONE person creating drama, people warning the bachelor(ette) and them refusing to see it, the newest bachelor(ette) wouldn’t be wise to it and side with the majority? But no, Sean acts like Ben did with Courtney, Jake did with Vienna, Brad did with Michelle, Ashley did with Bentley, Ali did with Justin, Jillian did with Wes and Emily did with Kalen. I’m sorry but there is a pattern and it’s all created. Even Reality Steve talks in his blog like Sean is truly a moron for not seeing it. No, he’s paid/told to not see it.

The casted villian is kept around until their role is no longer needed and then they’re ousted. I think the worse the season or the more boring the bachelor(ette) is the further they get, i.e. Jake and Ben.

It’s getting tiring and old. Am I the only person out there who would trade the scripted drama for watching the TRUE story unfold of two people falling in love? Or are viewers that overfed on manufactured crap that they can’t get enough?

*SIGH*

32. chickster

February 5, 2013 at 6:47 PM

And by the way, told to keep Tierra and put up with her BS or not, Sean is an idiot and I don’t find anything endearing about his personality. Like RS pointed out, a girl tells him Tierra was flirting with a dude in an airport and keeps Tierra and then he asks the other chick for specific reasons he should be cautious of Tierra. OMG Ever since the whole fake neck injury I have been disgusted with this show. It’s so obviously manufactured I, as a bachelor(ette) would not allow myself to be told to keep someone around and play the fool, even for more money, just for the drama factor. Especially when Tierra is such a horrible actress and it makes Sean look that much dumber for not “seeing” it.

33. lucky

February 5, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Great re-cap Steve! Didn’t get to watch last night. Been a long time reader and have to tell you how much I’ve enjoyed your columns over the past year or so. I especially love how you include short videos right on the page. Loved the airplane video – one of the best movies ever!
    That Selma clip was ridiculous. She sure showed her true colors. Does anyone else think that she looks like a younger version of Jill Kelley (the woman that called the FBI on Gen Petraeus’ girlfriend/stalker)? Especially tonight in that stupid yellow dress, so ridiculously tight.

34. tatumsmama24

February 5, 2013 at 9:21 PM

First off, love the site. It cracks me up that you keep getting lawsuits from “the Bachelor” yet the issue of racism was thrown out. It is obvious the show has something against black contestants and I don’t think they will ever have a black Bachelor/Bachelorette. I’m not black but even me being Caucasian can see that! Anyway, I just find that comical. You actually make the show more interesting. It’s like someone reading a good book and then going to see it when it comes out on the big screen. You don’t keep people from watching the show at all. I am holding out hope that you are correct and Tierra goes home next episode. That is the main thing ai was searching for on your site. Please tell me when the psycho is exiting. Ok great thanks! Keep on keeping on and don’t let anything get to you. You’re entertaining and tell it like it is. Best wishes!

35. Ellieanne

February 5, 2013 at 11:05 PM

When Courtney was portrayed so badly, her friends and family came to her defense. Has anyone who knows Tierra posted anything to defend her? I’m wondering if maybe she’s really a little looney IRL. RS hasn’t mentioned anyone on Twitter or FB saying anything good (or bad) about Tierra’s “performance” and whether she’s really such an attention whore.

36. karynr

February 6, 2013 at 6:48 AM

Has the show gotten much more manipulative over the years, with the editing and provoked drama, or am I just cynical at this point? I’ve watched since the Andrew Firestone season and don’t remember it being quite this contrived. I have to admit I actually used to buy into the whole romance hoopla. I sit and laugh a lot during the show these days. This season is very boring, and Sean still doesn’t impress me. Though, to give him credit, he seems to be asking good questions and I believe he’s a good person. Not like some past Bachelors…ahem..Ben…Jake…Bob…..

Also, some of these girls seem so darn young! I have no doubt I was similar in my 20’s but watching these girls makes me thankful I’m older and wiser.

Catherine seems to bring out a different side of Sean. He has fun with her and she’s certainly full of life. The giggling and immature remarks show how young she is. Her reason for being so full of life is touching. I imagine watching someone die in front of you at age 12 was pretty heavy duty. It would be hard at any age.

37. randais

February 6, 2013 at 7:19 AM

I was channel surfing last night during commercials, while watching SMASH…AWESOME show so glad it’s back, by the way….and I caught the ending of the group date. It peaked my interest and triggered a question regarding something I’d read before on this site. So I went back and watched the whole thing today and then found RS “spoiler” regarding this episode. No big, but just an observation, RS originally reported that Sarah eliminated herself but clearly Sean did the eliminating. Having said that, I agree with pretty much everyone else, Sean’s an idiot. It’s clear he’s being manipulated and he’s allowing it. Ok enough on the Bachelowreck.

Anyone else catch Smash?

38. megbird711

February 6, 2013 at 7:30 AM

For the sake of full disclosure, I’ll preface my comment by saying that this is the least I have watched the Bachelor since it started. I don’t like Sean, I find him boring, he’s not very attractive, and for being “such a nice guy,” he sure can be a d*ck at times. But, I watch it, but usually I’m reading at the same time, so I haven’t picked up on the details I usually do.

That being said, Tierra is NOT helping Sean’s plight to not look like a big dumb oaf. I am aware that she is edited, but come on; If you have EVER watched the show, you know you are at risk of being edited, so there is certain sh*t you just. don’t. say!!!

I like Lindsay and Lesley the best. Clearly, he gets along well with Catherine. I do think that Des’ argument of “If he’s into Tierra, he can’t be into someone like me.” I’d be thinking the same thing.

I am all for Lindsay as the next Bachelorette. I think she would be funny, cute, and unaffected- in other words, Emily Maynard’s opposite. I didn’t like Emily’s season either. I really hope next time it is someone I care about or I might quit this franchise for good!

39. talenna

February 6, 2013 at 7:57 AM

I think that Mrs. Tierra the Drama Queen need to go. She is making the rest of the girls misrable she is so mean to them. But Sean doesn’t see it. The women need to speek up for themselves and let him know exactely what she is doing to them!! Come on girls nobody desirves to be treated that way talk to Sean!!

40. bobloblaw

February 6, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Why isn’t anyone commenting on how Steve was WRONG about Sarah eliminating herself from the competition? Sean sent her packing…

41. randais

February 6, 2013 at 8:54 AM

Um Bob, I did actually. Read my last post, above.

42. bobloblaw

February 6, 2013 at 9:00 AM

@randais, jk on my previous post.

43. elizabeth82

February 6, 2013 at 9:07 AM

chickster: “Am I the only person out there who would trade the scripted drama for watching the TRUE story unfold of two people falling in love?”

I’m with you 100%.

44. elizabeth82

February 6, 2013 at 9:08 AM

And yep, noted that Steve was wrong about Sarah eliminating herself.

45. elizabeth82

February 6, 2013 at 9:09 AM

I wonder if he’ll admit the error? (Not that it’s a huge one.)

46. randais

February 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Did I hear right, didn’t one of the girls call Tierra, Tierrorist? I LOVED THAT! I actually thought RS’ term of Tierrable was good too, but Terrorist might trump it.

47. iheartvino

February 6, 2013 at 9:18 AM

I caught the error about how Sarah left too, and went back to look just at his spoilers to make sure I remembered it correctly. Steve’s usually pretty good about acknowledging when he was wrong about something in the spoilers so I’m sure he’ll mention it. For all I know maybe he tweeted something last night about it but I haven’t checked.

Karyn, I agree about Catherine. I know we only got to see a small part of their date, but from what we did see, they clearly enjoy each other’s company and make each other laugh.

Randais, I only watched Smash once and didn’t really care for it much. I’m not a huge Katharine McPhee fan though so maybe that’s why. 🙂

48. rollingeyes

February 6, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I read Sean’s blog this morning on People Magazine about his date with Catherine. He mentions he had already been developing feelings for her, blah blah blah…..my question is: When did this start to happen? We sure as hell haven’t seen any time during which he could be developing feelings for her. Por editingthis season. More about the Tierra Hate Show and not about a “love story”. FAIL.

49. jackie22

February 6, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Am I the only one checking this blog every 15 minutes waiting for the recap? Sad.. I know lol.

50. JovisMom

February 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM

No jackie – I am too! LOL!