The Bachelorette 9 - Desiree

Bachelorette Desiree Recap & My Thoughts on the Passing of a Radio Legend

Before we get to the ridiculousness/craziness that was last night’s episode, let me give my thoughts on something 1,000 times more important than this silly show, and something that affected me tremendously this weekend, which was the sudden passing of Dallas morning radio legend, Kidd Kraddick. Kidd was syndicated on over 80 stations in America, but his “Kidd Kraddick in the Morning” show originates here in Dallas. I know I’ve linked to the interviews I’ve done with him numerous times on this site on the occasions that he’s been generous enough to have me on. To be celebrating my 20 yr high school reunion Saturday night (which was an absolute blast), yet be informed of Kidd’s sudden passing at the same time was about as difficult a night I can remember.

I am not a Dallas native. I’m not going to claim I’ve listened to Kidd my whole life and grew up driving to school with him on my radio because I didn’t. Before I moved here 7 years ago, I had never listened to his show, only knowing him by name. That all changed however once I did make the move, and immediately got involved in radio, and then after that, when RealitySteve.com kinda took off. I remember being on Kidd Kraddick’s show for the first time years ago on a phone interview, and I seriously had no idea what was going on. I had no idea who the other people in his crew were, and when they were addressing me, I didn’t know who was who. Over time though, Kidd and I developed a friendship and a business relationship with both of us having mutual interests in the show. That developed into me coming in studio with him and the crew at least once a season to discuss all things “Bachelor” and “Bachelorette” related. A great group of people who always seemed to welcome me with open arms, and Kidd always went out of his way to talk to me outside of the show and give me advice here and there about the site. Did he have to? No. But that’s the kind of guy he was.

Seeing all of Dallas express their sentiments about him over Twitter and Facebook, you could tell the impact he had on this city over the years. For me, this would be like Rick Dees dying during my middle school or high school years. That’s the guy I listened to every day on the way to school for God knows how long. And now, for people of Dallas and all across America, the guy they grew up listening to, and the guy who has owned Dallas morning radio for the greater part of 20 years is now gone. I’ve had the honor and privilege of spending time with Kidd outside of just what you heard between us on the radio, and here’s what I can tell you. His passion for his job, and his Kidd’s Kids charity was something that will stick with me forever. I never thought I’d meet anybody in radio more passionate and hard working than Jim Rome, but Kidd Kraddick was no doubt in that class.

I was a blogger about a silly reality show, and Kidd saw something in me enough to where he thought it would be worthwhile to give me and my site the attention that he’s given it the last few years. He did not have to put me on his show every season. He did not have to constantly pump up my site when talking about the show, but I’m so thankful he did. And for that, I will be forever grateful. My heart goes out to the rest of the crew, Kellie, Big Al, J-Si, and Jenna, along with everyone working behind the scenes who have always been nothing but nice to me in my appearances on the show. They are truly one big family over there and I’m sure this has been a devastating couple of days for them. My condolences to his family and close friends as well as they grieve during this time. You come in contact with people on a daily basis that you don’t think twice about who leave no lasting memory in your life, and then there are people like Kidd Kraddick. He did so much for so many people, it’s a travesty that he’s gone so early. I feel so lucky to say I knew him on a somewhat personal level and I wish everyone else who listened to him every morning could have done the same. He will leave a lasting impression on me that I will never forget. Rest in peace my friend. You will be missed.

1. Sunnyside422

July 30, 2013 at 10:55 AM

And lets not forget all the believers in RS listed in the WINNERS category!

Sorry those who think Brooks is good looking…I think he is fuggly in every way!

2. mommyof2

July 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Well, I typed a long response about what happened last night, but it didn’t post, and I’m not re-typing it. But, here’s a great blog by Ali explaining how she respects Brooks’ honesty, and that a proposal so quickly should be uncomfortable since people don’t really know each other well at this point.

3. arodesq

July 30, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Everything you say makes 100% logical sense. I believe in you, RS!! My money is on your spoilers being correct!!

4. bfan1

July 30, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I don’t know what to think anymore. I want to believe the spoilers but even if they are true I have a hard time believing Des and Brooks are still together. She and CH really slammed him today in their blogs (basically hinted that he led her on). Meanwhile Nate H. is still blabbing about wrong spoilers and stating that nothing is obvious and that Des is happy now. Chris S. has been shooting footage with Bachelor producers in Seattle (showcase for Des to move to Seattle or is he next Bachelor candidate) and Drew has moved to Cali (near Des). Still think something is going to happen Monday be it on the finale or on AFTFR that will render the Des/Brooks relationship over along with this season over.

5. nliedel

July 30, 2013 at 11:17 AM

You don’t get it wrong, much and I trust what you say. I’m the idiot who reads the last page of the novel before the rest. i like to know the ending, although often not, “forever,” just time that there is happiness is good enough. I like Des too. I don’t find this season different than the others, except we all may be a tad bored with it all and there is not a lot of excitement in that.

As for our Football hottie, I say he’s the next Bachelor. Time on camera, or not. Genuine and hot. Of course I never hated on Jason’s change of heart, it was the best for everyone and that he manned up, was the best. So, I’m not your average viewer. I want people to be happy, but the odds are that it won’t last. We all go through a lot of serious relationships in our lives. Even if we marry and are happy the choice to stay in a marriage, or relationship is made by the two people involved everyday. Yes, you are together, but my husband and I fight to make it work. It’s not happily ever after. It’s some happy, some not so much and a person I adore at the end of it.

6. Nobody

July 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM

This show irritates the crap out of me when they show these hour long crying episodes with no tears. Terrible ACTING at its finest. Please!!! Its all scripted, producer driven garbage.

Steve also wants to make it sound like Chris and Drew are being blindsides, but truth be known, they’re probably in on the scam, just like Melissa was in on the whole dumping thing with Jason Mesdick.

7. erin4

July 30, 2013 at 11:20 AM

that’s really scary that Kidd Kraddick died at such a young age of a heart attack. 53! wow! super sad! he was the same age as my dad is. sorry to hear that, RS. take care of your health, people! it is so so important.

8. sarald00

July 30, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I, too, thought it HAD to be Brooks after last night! She certainly couldn’t pick the other two NOW. Brooks will return next week, IMO….yep.

9. Leesa

July 30, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Some people love you , Some may hate you….but the fact remains you pretty much have been right all the time!..for the people who hate you, why do they even bother reading your blog….doesn’t make sense…Anyways as I read your post last week and after watching last night I 100% believe it!…I know its Brooks….I just know it…I don’t know why but I know it is. Reading your posts are like taking the words out of my mouth LOL.
    If it’s not Brooks your right there would be NO need for a 2 parter. I think she tells both guys right away that she is in love with Brooks and is not choosing them, they leave in tears. Then I think somehow whether its her or brooks who contacts the other and he tells her he has made a mistake and that he just can’t imagine not ever seeing her again. I have no doubt about it that they are together!
    Has anyone noticed that the last 3 men are kind of umm…feminine or is it just me?

10. oyoung1117

July 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM

Honestly I am pretty positive that RS is right and that Brooks will come back, but I don’t understand why no one is acknowledging the third option here. Maybe she isn’t with Brooks, maybe she didn’t go on and pick one of the other two, maybe she literally ends up with no one? I am pretty sure one of the promos showed all three guys being put in limos.
    Why isn’t this a possible scenario?

11. erin4

July 30, 2013 at 11:50 AM

RS, I do have to disagree with you on Brooks leaving. If he really was serious about her and pursuing a future with her, he wouldn’t have left. Nobody is forcing him to propose, are they? Couldn’t he just give her a promise ring instead of a diamond? I can understand being afraid to propose this early in the game but why the indecisiveness? Why is it necessary to cut the date short and say all that crap to your girl? It is probably on behalf of the producers fabulous scheming… or not. I don’t think that is a very good quality to express when dealing with serious relationships. I think Des is stupid for accepting him back after what he said last night. She clearly is very desperate. Sad girl.

12. juliette

July 30, 2013 at 11:51 AM

In her blog, Des writes, “Stay tuned next week to find out what happens with Brooks, my broken heart and the remaining men.” By her saying that we’ll find out what happens with Brooks, definitely implies that he is NOT out of the picture. In fact, I think Brooks is being very realistic and I respect him; how can you be SURE you love someone when you have only spent such limited time with them and when they are dating other men?? I do think RS is correct. And for those who bash him and/or are angry with him, just stop reading his blogs! There’s a concept.

13. erin4

July 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM

If all of this “acting” “crying” crap was all a plot by the producers, then congrats to them for getting more viewers and higher ratings last night and next week.

14. liz123

July 30, 2013 at 11:53 AM

As far as the finale, I agree with all those saying that RS has to be right. Even if you don’t believe 100% in the accuracy of RS’s spoilers, how could it be any other way? If she ended up with either of the other 2 guys, there’s no need for a 2 part finale. It’d be just like Ali’s season (Frank leaves at F3 & the finale goes on as usual). Same thing if Des ends up with nobody, it’d end in a 1 part finale just like Brad Womack’s 1st season where he chose nobody. Having a 2 part finale leaves only one option: Brooks returns & they’re together (for like 4.5 months & then they’ll break up like they all do, but that’s another story).

Here’s something I’ll never understand: Why do some people get pissed off when others follow their hearts? Listen up, people, you can’t force love & you can’t fake love forever! Like people who think Jason Mesnick is the devil- dude, what did you expect? for him to pretend to love Melissa for the rest of his life?!??! He did the right thing for himself & Melissa. Same for Brooks (even though he changes his mind. This show is retarded. Why do I love it so?) 😉

15. Nobody

July 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Erin4, you do realize this is a TV show and the participants have to do and say what they producers want, right? What I saw last night was very poor acting. Brooks comes back next week; you can bank on it. Its in the script….

16. studiochick

July 30, 2013 at 11:57 AM

I’m with you RS!!!! After Des and Brooks has their forever long snot & tear fest, Brooks battled with himself about going back to Des and kept saying to himself, “what am I doing?” when he squatted to pee…I mean cry…as if 2nd guessing himself.

Even after reading Des’ blog she writes “… I seriously *considered* going home and calling it all quits.” Considered?!?!?! Obvioulsy she doesn’t.

And she also writes, “Stay tuned next week to find out what happens with Brooks, my broken heart and the remaining men.” If it was the end of Brooks and he leaves, why would she ‘tease’ to find out about Brooks

17. nora j

July 30, 2013 at 12:03 PM

If Des is with Brooks then there is no way the relationship will last. If he could say he’s not in love with her and leave and then come back and propose…that doesn’t make sense AT ALL. And if they are together I guarantee he will break up with her in a few months. I mean you know things get even harder AFTER the show and if it’s already like this for him now his feelings won’t get stronger for her.

Well there are 2 guys left and she has to think if she wants to continue dating them and what she’s gonna say to them. I mean the 2 hours could be taken up by that. I’m just saying that could be the case and she still doesn’t end up with Brooks.

18. shefoundadventure

July 30, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Based on the other previews, there are several shots that still haven’t been on the show I’m assuming are in the finale. In one preview there was a shot of Chris carrying Des into a room that wasn’t shown in their fantasy suite date last night. There’s also the Drew and Des conversation on the beach where she says “the only thing keeping me here is you.”

A few weeks ago when they showed the shots of all the guys in the limo, there was a shot of Chris in a limo but NOT a shot of Drew in a limo. So Drew is the only guy we haven’t seen leaving in some fashion in a preview.

Based on that, it seems pretty obvious that either RS is right and Brooks comes back, Des ends up with Drew (which if that is the case, Drew must feel like crap after watching Des profess her undying love for Brooks over and over) or Des is single. But no Chris and Des. I kind of think the finale may “end” with Des saying goodbye to both Chris and Drew and being broken-hearted, only to reveal in ATFR that her and Brooks have reconciled and are continuing to date.

19. iheartvino

July 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM

I saw the same thing that a few of you have mentioned, in Des’s blog- the fact that she says “stay tuned next week to find out what happens with Brooks…” gives it all away. I was already sure that Steve’s spoiler is right in that she’ll end up engaged to Brooks, but Des saying that completely makes it even more obvious. And, as Steve pointed out, they’ve got two hours to fill next week, well before the ATFR hour anyway. Nothing else makes sense to me other than Brooks having second thoughts (or maybe the producers tell him he can go tell her he’s changed his mind now, who knows..) and confessing his love to her and she takes him back and they live happily ever after. And by happily ever after I mean they’ll put on a happy face at the ATFR, and then we’ll hear in a couple of months that they’re broken up. lol

Hi, Liz123! I was nodding in agreement with everything you said about how the finale will go down. I do think Brooks could have done a better and less painful job in telling her what he needed to say though. But I’m with you on the Jason M. thing. He and Molly definitely seem happy from what I can tell. They seem like one of the more real couples that have come out of this franchise, in addition to Ashley and JP.

20. blueyz28

July 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I am not a regular watcher of either Bachelor or Bachelorette (they’re ridiculous) but your spoilers always keep me laughing! After todays post, I couldn’t help but wander over and watch the episode for myself. I must express an extreme measure of respect for what Brooks did- I honestly don’t think Chris Harrison knew what to say or do in response to someone actually being logical and considerate of the hairbrained decision they force contests into making in these series. Reality, for what it is, was actually shown and acted upon. Kudos to Brooks.

21. nora j

July 30, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Also if she’s engaged to Brooks now then why would she be surprised seeing the discussion Brooks had with his mom and sister..you’d think she knew about it. I don’t think she’s spoken to Brooks since.

I would say the ending of her blog when she tells us to stay tuned to see what happens with Brooks…well yeah maybe that gives a small chance he comes back but I think it just means we find out what happens with him at the ATFR live part…or maybe he calls her or something.

22. strick432

July 30, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I’ve been watching this mess since Season 1 (Alex Michel, anyone?) and Brooks is by far the grossest guy I’ve ever seen on here. His hair and teeth are awful and he talks like a woman. Matter of fact, he cries like a girl, too. For the life of me, I will never understand why Des would get engaged to him the same day or the day after he basically told her he doesn’t love her. That’s pretty desperate. Last night was drug out so much I about went to sleep. Des was crying but I never saw tears falling out of her eyes. Please……what a load of crap. I’ll keep watching, though!! Thanks, Steve. Great tribute to your friend. Very sad indeed.

23. liz123

July 30, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Hey there, Vino. 😀 Yeah, as far as the Mesnick thing, it sucks that he didn’t realize that Molly was the one he wanted to be with before he ended up choosing Melissa, but he didn’t. Maybe he thought Melissa was the “safe” choice. Maybe he thought Molly just wasn’t quite right for him. For whatever reason, he didn’t realize his true feelings until it was too late & he was going to have to break Melissa’s heart. That sucks, but what would people rather him do? Stay with Melissa for a year, 2 years, & then say “Sorry, I wasted your time, but I knew in the first few weeks you weren’t right for me. I just didn’t want to hurt your feelings right off the bat”. He needed to break up with her asap.

Brooks had to do what he thought was right too even if that meant breaking Des’s heart. How can people be angry with him for that? I personally believe that he wouldn’t let himself fully fall in love with her b/c he was afraid of getting hurt. He thought she was probably more in love with one of the other guys. Then, when she told him he was the only one she loved, he was like “WTF? I could’ve let my walls down long ago if she’d only told me”. I don’t always succeed, but I like to see the best in people & that’s the best explanation for his change of heart & explains how they could go from last night’s drama to engagement (if they are).

24. karynr

July 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM

There was a definite lack of real tears last night. I kept watching for them, but didn’t even see one.

Drew is like a little boy who is in love with the idea of being in love. I find he and Brooks kind of gross.

Why did everyone vilify Jen years ago when she decided to walk away without choosing someone? I never quite got that. I thought it was great she didn’t force it with someone she didn’t love.

25. misspeyton

July 30, 2013 at 12:49 PM

The bottom line is… there’s no way they can fill TWO hours of television after Des basically called an “end” to the season. I read the stuff happening on Twitter last night, and all I have to say is.. next week b!tches 🙂

My thought is, maybe extreme maybe not.. that ABC paid Brooks to do this. The only way, in my mind, they get engaged is.. Brooks re-appears, tells Des off-camera (hey, I’m sorry I had to do that, but they gave us each 15k for it) and the fairytale *gag* engagement goes off without a second thought. I would find it kind of silly for Brooks to reappear next week (WHICH HE NO DOUBT DOES!) and say “I’m sorry, I do love you” and she says “yes” after he proposes. He SPECIFICALLY told her he doesn’t want that, so Des will look like the biggest idiot in America if she gets engaged the day (or however many days) after he dumped her in the way he did. The bottom line is, ABC is going to have to start getting creative with endings, and this worked like a charm. Coincidence that it happened on the worst-rated season ever? I think not.

26. jessica1

July 30, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Nice write-up on Kraddick; was interesting to read of your experience w/ his show.

The ‘break up’ scene was the perfect example of why so many women often believe there is a chance at reconciliation w/ an ex. Brooks bungled it and dragged it out because he didn’t want to be the bad guy and seemed conflicted how to express that.

Note To Men: this confuses the hell outta women
    Note To Women: this still means he’s just NOT that into you

Which is why I think it will be incredibly easy for him to sob his way back into her arms and she’ll accept it because it’s what she wanted in the first place.

The most obvious part to me that this was producer driven was that they even allowed him to see his sis and mom again — that never happens! He’s supposed to be living in a black curtain lined hotel room!

And I love what someone observed about Chris Harrison.. what a dingbat. He couldn’t formulate a single coherent response.

27. liz123

July 30, 2013 at 12:51 PM

@karynr, really? I thought that Des had a lot of real tears. I decided her eyelashes were fake & that’s why her mascara never ran, but I did see water coming out of her eyes. I don’t remember if I ever saw actual tears from Brooks, but I did see a large snot rocket when he was heaving with sobs (GROSS!). I’m sure he was like “Thanks, ABC, for putting THAT on tv!”. I would be mortified!

28. thegambler

July 30, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Brooks reassesses after he thinks about how gaga Des is over him-he mentioned “I didn’t know she loved me that much”—-some men fall in love with the woman who professes the most about them, and they stay happy until she falls from grace, and that usually is when she starts realizing he ain’t all that great, and then he realizes she doesn’t care that much and it’s over—so as long as Des doesn’t reach that dark spot, they are good to go…

29. ingerutz

July 30, 2013 at 1:16 PM

You are awesome Steve.

30. kpowers784

July 30, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Great tribute of Kidd Kraddick. He was taken too early. I am still in shock over it. I have listened to him for about 20 years. He will greatly be missed. Found out about Rs through him.

31. maggieyantis

July 30, 2013 at 1:22 PM

First, I want to say that my heart is broken by the passing of Kidd. He’s truly a hero and he will be missed by many! My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.

As far as Des…the crying and blubbering was almost too much of a distraction last night. I was getting grossed out. But all along…I knew it was some fake drama to keep the show relevant because it’s been such a bore this season. Face it…Des is BORING!!! I have no doubt that Brooks will come away with the final rose. Nice guys always finish last (ie Drew and Chris).

32. sarald00

July 30, 2013 at 1:24 PM

So true….they will probably not have much of a chance at staying together. The premise of meeting and true love being found on a TV show – at least a love that LASTS– is not very good. I’d say, so far, it’s about 1 of 3 -or- 1 of 4 that has lasted longer than a year or two.
    Anyway….again…I say that Brooks come back. RS is right….and why people attacked him when he never said he knew the circumstances…only the ending….I have no clue!

33. bigfatwoman2

July 30, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I’m really surprised that there are some people posting on here with their theories of how this is all going to go down next week other than Brooks and Des being engaged.

It seems like such an obvious set-up for Brooks’ return. Whether this stunt was producer driven or financially driven doesn’t really matter. To me, their emotions seemed legit and normal given the circumstances.

Having said that, this relationship is going to last about a hot minute. However, it’s VERY VERY entertaining.

My condolences to Steve on his friend Kidd.

34. gailer

July 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM

First, Sorry for your loss RS.

Right or wrong, I love your blog RS! You have made this dull season interesting either way. I almost hope you were given wrong information because if you weren’t, I don’t think Des should take Brooks back and accept a marriage proposal. I would rather have him walk. He sounds like her last boyfriend.

35. AJ13

July 30, 2013 at 1:47 PM

If what happens next week is what I think what will happen…which is that, going by RS’s spoilers, Brooks has a change of heart and goes back to Des, and Des takes him back…she will look like the biggest fool/idiot in the history of national television. To profess your love for a guy, have him tell you he isn’t in love with you, and then take him back essentially the next day just reeks of immaturity and stupidity. But then again as we have seen this season, Des is far from the brightest bulb in the Christmas tree.

36. sarald00

July 30, 2013 at 2:01 PM

True that…she should not have taken him back….but their situation is an odd one, made for tv…not real life. It is entertaining though.

37. jacey

July 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Just when I thought I was out, they pulled… yada, yada!

I watched OD this morning. The audio was horrific.
    I didn’t hear a word either one of them said.. My gaydar was on blast. Brooks is struggling with something, but I don’t think it’s feelings for Des.

Not about to risk raising anyone’s ire by calling out names, but there are some famous examples of young (er) guys who have partnered with “old” -er women — RS’s word, not mine They turned out to be little more than beards.

Brooks photographs well. He’s a great looking guy, but there’s just something very unhygienic about him, and he looked stoned at times on last night’s episode.

38. locondcoco

July 30, 2013 at 2:18 PM

I love how, after Des professes her love for Brooks, his response is: “i wish you had told me sooner”. Really guy? are you not aware of how the show works? And i think it’d be even worse had she said anything, because then you’re in “love” with her only because she’s in love with you.

In any case, agree with RS and everyone else. Brooks comes back in whatever way, shape or form, and sweeps her off her feet and they ride off into the sunset, for however long that will last.

39. rsizthebest

July 30, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Gosh all that sobbing was sooooooooooo boring and it just went on and on. I have never been so bored on this show as I was Monday night. This should have been kept as one episode. Des may have been desperate on camera, but ABC sure is desperate to make the ending two episodes.

40. besserwisser

July 30, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Well, it doesn’t even matter if Brooks comes back or not cause she DID pick him and the spoilers were correct. There’s no way that she’ll pick Drew or Chris at this point, so, her choice of guy was accurate. It remains to be seen if they are really engaged at this point cause he would have had to change his mind in a day or two and that seems weird… There’s definitely more to the story though since we have 2 hours left to go!

41. jaims11

July 30, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Honestly, I wouldn’t put it past producers to think, “Hey, you know what? This season’s been kind of boring. Let’s re-write the ending of the season and have Brooks come back and pretend to break Des’ heart before re-proposing.” I have no doubt that Des and Brooks are together and engaged or at least ended the season that way, I just think maybe they redid the ending to spice things up a bit and get more viewers!

42. rile9995

July 30, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Does anybody think that Brooks ended it because he didn’t think he was her final choice? But, when he realized that he was her choice, he reconsidered. He didn’t want to be dumped.

43. nsawyer

July 30, 2013 at 3:16 PM

Not sure if anyone already said this, but even Des alludes that Brooks is not gone in her People blog…

44. bfan1

July 30, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I still have a feeling that Brooks comes back and proposes but she chooses the F1 to be Chris S.

45. bfan1

July 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Also anyone notice the romantic music they kept playing for Chris and Des – I think they will make it a repeat of Ali and Roberto – where her F3 left and she was left with the man she wanted all along (Ali even alluded to her and Des’ seasons being similar)

46. callingithome

July 30, 2013 at 3:25 PM

And that is how you make money blogging.

47. cutekamichama

July 30, 2013 at 3:30 PM

I don’t understand why she slept with two other men when she continues to profess her love for Brooks.

48. suefo

July 30, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I agree. Every season ABC promises “the most dramatic ending EVER!” and this is all scripted to end a specific way. I don’t watch the show – but it’s part of the “PrimeTime in No Time” I watch in the morning. Hours of evening programming reduced to 3-4 minutes – perfect. I stopped watching season 2 or 3??? No one at work watches this show either. LOL – so there are a few of us out there who read RS and for us, that’s enough. RS – you will have the last laugh next Monday night!

49. bsheer

July 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I’m with those of you (MissPeyton, Jaims) who believe this was all a stunt by the show. Not that they told poor Des, of course – they needed her honest reaction. But, with ratings low, they had to do something to draw people back in. Brooks probably had to do it – either for money or the contract or something, and I did believe it was hard for him to do it to her. If I were Des, I’d be SO upset with the producers though, and never forgive them, no matter how it ends up. It’s an awful trick.
    p.s. (using the r-word is offensive to some, Liz123, including me, and probably Drew&family too).

50. christinesman

July 30, 2013 at 4:06 PM

Hi RS,

The Bachelor/Bachelorette is my wife and my guilty pleasure on Monday nights. We get half-drunk on the ‘amazing’ drinking game most of those nights. Your insight and commentary extends the fun into the workweek.

In the past you’ve been relatively modest about how much attention ABC pays to what you say. If they weren’t already, last night’s Twitter firestorm should have put them on notice.

I wonder if ABC has stumbled upon a successful strategy in a RS world. ; ) They have been seemingly unsuccessful in suppressing spoilers, but you can see a strategy that could be successful in a post-RS world. Even when the outcome is ‘known’, by slanting the edit they can create buzz by making that ‘known’ outcome appear seemingly impossible.

I would guess the Brooks storyline just fell in their laps, but it is allowing them to salvage something out of a lackluster season. It’s a strategy that could work in any spoiler situation. They then just make you or anyone else with a spoiler the straw man.

I couldn’t care less who Desiree chooses, but seeing how ABC gets to your final outcome motivates me to watch. That being said, I think ABC missed the boat last night. If I didn’t know it was Brooks, I would think she chooses no one based on that episode. A better edit would have been to give some indication that Chris or Drew had a chance. The way it’s been laid out now, the viewer should be disappointed no matter who she ends up with. I’d feel sorry for Chris or Drew if she picked them, and I’ll feel sorry for Des if she picks Brooks. Unless she chooses no one, someone ends up looking like a doormat.

Thanks for helping make this silly show fun. Take care …