The Bachelorette 9 - Desiree

Bachelorette Desiree Finale Recap: What Happened Last Night?

I’m not sure what people are expecting today regarding what we saw last night. If you’re expecting a long drawn out explanation regarding the wrong spoiler for this season, breaking down the who/what/when/where and why, I don’t have it. All season the information I was given had me 100% convinced Desiree was engaged to Brooks. Even as I was live tweeting last night during the show, I was convinced of it. Hell, with 15 minutes left in the show and no sense of Brooks, I was so sure of the information I’d seen and heard this season, that I STILL thought it was going to be Brooks. Seriously. At 8:45, with no Brooks in sight, I texted a couple friends and told them, “Chris is going to propose, she’s going to say no, and the After the Final Rose will start off with Chris Harrison and Desiree, and they will update us on what happened after she let go of Chris, and that’s where we’ll see she is with Brooks.” So yeah, I was that convinced my sources were right this season. Bottom line is I was wrong. No crying, no whining, no trying to pretend it was something other than it wasn’t. For the first time in the last seven shows this franchise has produced, I got the season ending spoiler wrong. Sucks, but what can I do? Move on, focus on Juan Pablo’s season, and get it right next time.

During Ali’s season, my spoiler was Chris and Roberto were the final 2, and then I knew that it wasn’t Chris, so it was either she was engaged to Roberto or single, and I said she was single for the last month of the season. The day of the finale I was informed it was Roberto and notified everyone. Brad’s season was up next, and you remember that for 3 months I told everyone he was engaged to Chantal, then two weeks before the finale, found out it was Emily and it was corrected. The cries from fans back then was BRUTAL. “He’s done. No one will ever believe him again,” “He’s a fraud,” “Get a new job,” etc. Trust me, I heard it all. Did it affect me? Since then, I’ve spoiled Ashley’s, Ben’s, Emily’s, and Sean’s season, along with 3 seasons of “Bachelor Pad” successfully until last night. Sucks being wrong. Obviously I’m not happy, and when you have a streak of 7 consecutive seasons of spoiling come to a crashing halt, it’s no fun. But I just move on to the next season and focus on that. As I’ve always said, I’m only as good as the information I’m given and it’s safe to say that I’ve gotten some pretty good information over the years to have built up the track record I have. Not to mention even the spoilers this year that were basically all right up until the final four when it got real screwy. The last 7 seasons, the sources I’ve had and the information I’ve been given has been dead on. This season it wasn’t. It happens.

Now I understand a lot of you have a ton of questions about who told me the wrong info, why did I believe them, how was it wrong, etc. I understand you have those questions. Unfortunately, I can’t answer them since, well, I don’t really have the answers myself and probably never will. When I’ve been right in the past, I’ve never come back and said, “Well, the reason I knew Sean was engaged to Catherine was because of this, this, and this.” I’ve never revealed my sources and never will. I can’t get into any details like that because it would just open up a can of worms that would be too hard to explain. I never doubted what I was told this season. Sure, over the last couple weeks I had that Nate conversation forwarded to me, I had people saying “I don’t think Brooks is engaged,” and even someone telling me they heard Des is with Drew. Every time I heard something that wasn’t the spoiler I had, sure I listened to it, but it’s impossible to follow up on everything, and all I kept coming back to was the information that I had at my disposal. That information that I was told back in early May regarding the outcome of this show was that Des was engaged to Brooks and I had no reason to doubt it based on who told it to me, what was said, what I saw, and when it came to me. I guess Nate Hartsock was the voice of reason in all of this. Shows how confident I was in my sources. Desiree’s own brother, the guy who was on the show twice and met Chris in Antigua was telling people behind the scenes I was wrong, and I STILL dismissed it in favor of my sources. Yikes.

I know some of you want hard answers as to how the spoiler could’ve been so wrong, and trust me, I wish I could tell you. I wish I could show you everything I have, when I got it, how I got it, and who shared it with me, because I think if I presented you with all that information, you would probably say to yourself, “You’re right. I would’ve totally thought it was Brooks as well.” Sure, kinda rings hollow right now, but there was no maliciousness behind anything I did. I believed these sources and this information to be as legit as I have for any previous season. Even stronger in some cases, and it turned out to be wrong, so yeah it sucks. Back to the drawing board. There’s so many different levels of sources when it comes to my information, that without going into detail of exactly everything I had, it’s impossible to explain. Just know I thought what I had was legit, and obviously it wasn’t. I will now begin to peel this massive omelet off my face.

All season long I was telling you I didn’t have any information regarding what happened in Antigua and all I “knew” was that she was engaged to Brooks. Brooks “leaving” last week was just as surprising to me as it was to you (even though the promos and press release hinted towards it in the weeks leading up) because I was never told that. I kept harping on that all I knew this season was the end result, which is usually the case. I mean just thinking back, when I said Ashley was engaged to JP, Ben was engaged to Courtney, Emily was engaged to Jef, and Sean was engaged to Catherine, I don’t really think I ever had any specific details regarding the ending other than, well, this is the ending. It was no different this season. It was “Des is engaged to Brooks” and I left it at that because I knew nothing else. I didn’t think it was out of the norm for reasons I just explained, but some people seem to think it was. Sure now looking back on it maybe that should’ve been a clue, but at the time, why question it when that’s exactly how it went down in previous seasons when the spoilers were right?

Hindsight is of course 20/20 and the Monday Morning Quarterbacks will come forward now saying, “Well, what about this? And what about this? How did you not see that?” I can’t pay any attention to that stuff because it’s irrelevant now. The spoiler was wrong and there’s nothing I can do to change it. I’m certainly getting a kick out of the reaction on Twitter based on some of the things I’ve been retweeting since the show ended last night. Just wanted to give people an idea of how maniacal some of the fans of this show are that they blame me for whatever happened last night. I’m getting a kick out of them. Bring on the hate. People have every right to jump on me because the spoiler was wrong when I was insistent that it was right all season. So sure, I expect negative feedback. Comes with the territory of what I do. Does it bother me? Of course not. If it bothered me, I wouldn’t be retweeting it for everyone to see. To say “You need a new job” or “You’re not reliable” or “Your spoilers suck” is just ignorant and funny to laugh at. The way I look at it, Olivia and Nicholas are coming out here this weekend to stay for a week, yesterday I found the house I’m moving in to at the end of the month, and college football season starts in three weeks. Things are great on my end. Don’t get me wrong, I hate the fact the spoiler was incorrect. I don’t like to be wrong. Nobody in my position would be. I’m just able to compartmentalize it better than some others and realize this is just a bump in the road. Seven seasons of being right, one season of being wrong. The second Juan Pablo’s season starts up, I’ll be spoiling that in real time just like I did Des’, Sean’s, Emily’s, Ben’s, and Ashley’s, etc.

1. iheartvino

August 6, 2013 at 6:37 PM

@mikeflessplayedyou, for what it’s worth, I just went back and read your first comment in its entirety and I do agree with what you said, for the most part. (I still don’t have a problem with Steve mentioning that he found his house yesterday, I didn’t see that as bragging at all) but I found myself nodding with everything else.

@liz123, thank you for the compliment. Right back at ya!

2. Caroll

August 6, 2013 at 6:38 PM

Also if you have trouble understanding Juan Pablo with his accent, turn on the Closed Captioning feature.

3. iheartvino

August 6, 2013 at 6:41 PM

@2qayl, was you comment directed at me? If so, I even stated that I WASN’T saying RS owes anyone an apology, but simply showing the contrast in his tone in today’s column vs the one from the day after he found out his Chantal spoiler was wrong. He seemed much more humble last time.

4. gailer

August 6, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I have no problem with you being wrong, Steve. In fact, it made the finale so much more fun and interesting. Thanks for another great season!
    The only thing confusing to me was the editing on the show. I guess they tricked us into thinking Des only cared for Brooks when she care about Chris too. Otherwise, how could she have chosen Chris?

5. gailer

August 6, 2013 at 7:02 PM

P.S. I think the show picked JP as the next Bachelor just because you said he never would be. lol

6. locondcoco

August 6, 2013 at 7:03 PM

i read the entire post. i didnt really see any kind of apology. not only that, bigfatwoman2 is spot on that he goes on forever about what he’s done right and defending himself and his site. he could have simply said he was wrong, he had no reason to think the spoilers were wrong, and apologize.

like most, i couldnt care less that his spoiler was wrong, but his continued arrogance even after he was wrong is what gets irritating.

7. aspen16

August 6, 2013 at 7:15 PM

@liz123 – totally agree with you!
    @iheartvino – I didn’t find anything that resembled an apology either. Humility is a trait RS simply does not possess!

RS – although I do think you owe your loyal readers a genuine apology for being wrong, the apology you REALLY need to make is for your arrogance! You treat everyone who questions your spoilers with such disdain and condescension – that’s what you need to work on. When I first started reading your column a couple years ago, it was actually pretty funny. But now you’re so full of yourself it’s pretty pathetic. I really hope you learn from this experience and try donning a little humility in the future.

I enjoyed the finale last night – and was glad Des ended up with Chris after all, although I do agree that’s a pretty fast 180! I also think Brooks and Drew both handled things quite well and with a lot of dignity on ATFR. I never liked Brooks, but it’s about time SOMEONE who makes it to the final 3 actually takes the time to seriously question the depths of his feelings for the lead, and not go through with a proposal only to break up a few months later! Shows a LOT of common sense!

As for Juan Pablo – he was definitely my first pick for the next bachelor. To Rob22 – I’ve no idea why you think he is arrogant. He seems FAR more humble than most men who come on this show. I thought he handled last night quite well. I also think his English is just fine – I’ve never had a hard time understanding him. I think he will be the best bachelor they’ve ever had. I also think he was great how highly he spoke of his daughter’s mother, and his common sense attitude regarding being sent home by Des.

8. fziem

August 6, 2013 at 8:04 PM

Hi RS, Thanks for another great season. Some people take you too seriously so just ignore them as people will continue to come back here fore bachelor(ette) spoilers. No one else gets the dirt like you. Part of the fun of the site is to watch the show and see if you were correct. In this case, It was very apparent that Brooks was not the one for Des so I am glad you were wrong. Only time will tell if Chris and Des end up married ect. Truth is we were not there so most likely don’t know the whole story of who said or did what with whom and when. The editors of the show definitely know how to play games with the viewing audience. I do buy the idea that Des got caught up in the “chase” of Brooks but while I can get my head around a final rose for Chris, I am not convinced she really had enough time to digest all of the events and accept a proposal. But, again we were not there and don’t know what they were really thinking. I hope things work out as Chris really does seem like a great guy and a good fit.

9. elizabeth82

August 6, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I don’t care that RS’s spoiler was wrong. What is wrong with people actually being angry about such a thing? Also, I find it funny all these realizations that “gee, not knowing the exact ending actually makes this show more fun to watch.” No kidding. I didn’t understand why people were so spoiler-hungry when it came to this show. I read spoilers because otherwise I would have to avoid a lot of the coverage of this show online and I like reading and talking about it too much to do that. I like entertaining recaps of this show–RS’s, Jen Frase, Television without Pity, etc. so I’m not going to stop following this site because Steve got this season’s ending wrong. (Although, hopefully Steve won’t be ironclad-confident about sources from now on since that attitude didn’t serve him well this time.)

While I think it’s pretty likely the show is edited/teased to cast doubt on RS’s spoilers, I don’t think the choice of Juan Pablo for Bachelor had anything to do with Steve doubting that it would be him. That wasn’t a spoiler, it was just Steve’s opinion. Women–online and at MTA and ATFR–seem to fall over Juan Pablo Beatlemania-style. So I wasn’t surprised at all they chose him. Personally I’m not that into the idea of a Juan Pablo season–I wanted it to be Zak. Juan Pablo’s English isn’t that good, does he have a job?, what about him is interesting? I remember reading the questionnaires on the ABC website and Juan Pablo answered the question of what his favorite book was by saying that he doesn’t read. But that’s just me; they obviously made a choice based on the mass female hysteria Juan Pablo has generated so . . . that’s good for the show I guess.

I was glad Brooks didn’t come back because Des probably would have taken him back and it would not have lasted. Brooks just seems flaky (as well as effeminate and inarticulate, but I digress). Chris is a nice guy and I wish them well but I am curious whether this is too much of a rebound for Des.

10. BusDriver

August 6, 2013 at 8:29 PM

While the rest of the season’s spoilers were right-on, I actually kind of liked having an incorrect season-ending spoiler for once.

Instead of watching the show on auto-pilot and fast-forwarding 90% of it like usual, I had given up and was watching the show / reading the closed-captioning on the treadmill at the gym. I kept waiting for Brooks to come back. It didn’t happen. I wound up standing on the side rails of the treadmill, with the treadmill still going full-blast, while my jaw dropped and a smile spread on my face.

Seriously – I haven’t watched a Bachelor/Bachelorette finale with this much enjoyment, well, in perhaps ever. (I do recall being really happy and emotional – before I was jaded – at the Aaron/Helene finale, and we all know how that turned out). This one wrong spoiler was actually a very cool surprise in my book, and I think ABC owes you, RS. 🙂

11. mommyof2

August 6, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I’m excited that Juan Pablo is the next Bachelor! I figured it would HAVE to be him, despite Steve’s insistence that it wouldn’t be. Inever understood Steve’s reasoning that JP wouldn’t be the bext Bachelor. For someone with so little screen time this season (a HUGE screw-up in their editing dept.), he developed a huge female fan base. Plus, he’d be their first minority bachelor. Anyone else from this season of lack-luster guys would have been a MAJOR disappointment.

12. elizabeth82

August 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM

How’s he a minority? He’s white isn’t he?

13. mommyof2

August 6, 2013 at 9:06 PM

And no, I don’t think they chose Juan Pablo just to “stick it” to Steve since he said it wouldn’t be him. But I do think they announced it after the finale just to rub it in Steve’s face as a double-whammy, so fans would be mad at Steve for getting the ending wrong AND the next bachelor wrong. Steve, you have more power with that show than you think. If you didn’t, they wouldn’t have bothered to sue you twice!

I also think that production and editing completely changed the format of the Men Tell-All (leaving out #3 Brooks) and the finale- making it two parts- in response to Steve’s incorrect spoiler of the endingbeing Brooks, just so people would watch and wait to see if he returns in part 2. It was a brilliant decision on their part! Otherwise, it would have been like Ali 2.0- when Frank left. Smart decision on ABC’s part.

14. mommyof2

August 6, 2013 at 9:12 PM

@elizabeth82 Juan Pablo is Latino- their first minority lead on this show. He was born in NYC- so he’s American- but grew up in Venezuela- where his parents are from- before moving back to the US in college. He currently lives in Miami, where his ex-girlfriend and daughter also live.

15. 1tydjsw3

August 6, 2013 at 9:29 PM

At least she chose one that acted like a man. Chris is solid, Drew is too Sweet, Brooks would have been a few weeks of hot SEX and see you later,because Brooks is Extremly Imature. He told people he was hoping to get some exotic trips. He got what he wanted,- SEE YA!!!!!!

16. girlfromoz

August 6, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Hi Steve – I’m writing to you from Australia. Just want to say that Des’s decision to be with Chris was so crazy that it doesn’t surprise me at all that your spoilers were off, although if you have inside info then you might want to sort out your sources. Of course, as other people have mentioned we may have been tricked by the over-editing of the show and didn’t see the depth of Des and Chris’s relationship but I am not at all convinced that they will last. I think the fact that Des couldn’t look at Brooks after she told him she was engaged to Chris says a lot and there seemed to be moments after the conversation with Brooks where she looked quite sad and shaken up. I hope that I’m wrong though and it does work out and they are happy together.

17. kjopo84

August 6, 2013 at 9:50 PM

For those of you who claim to have no interest in the spoilers and you only come here to experience Steve’s wit and snarky comments, might I recommend Jen Frase’s blog or Kristen Baldwin’s recaps with Entertainment Weekly? Both absolutely HILARIOUS and much better writers (no offense, RS). Plus, no spoilers involved. Unless you read the comment sections where a troll will often lurk to try and spoil the season.

Personally, I come here mostly for the spoilers. Still read the columns, but RS’ writing ability and humor doesn’t compare to those two ladies.

That being said, I’m not angry that the spoiler was wrong, I am actually quite overjoyed that Des ended up with Chris, because he is a MUCH better match for her!

Also happy about Juan Pablo, simply because I relish the opportunity to ogle him for a few months.

I might read the spoilers next season, but I’m not sure now. Not because Steve got it wrong, but that the surprise was so much better than having it all figured out. I forgot what that was like. And honestly, even if I hadn’t known the spoilers while watching this season, I STILL would’ve thought she was going to end up with Brooks, even after he left. The way ABC set the entire thing up was genius and really hooked the audience.

18. rebel5

August 6, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Dear Reality Steve,

It was okay to be wrong. As someone who loves writing and works to perfect my own, the only major criticism I have of your work, is the verbosity you continually employ. Please refrain from 2,500 words, when 150 will do.

Regarding the choices of Sean, Desiree and now Juan Pablo, I think the show is trying to cast genuine, straightforward, decent people, who are likely to make realistic choices for themselves and stand by them. Show management would like to see more successful outcomes, complete with happy marriages. The lack of long-term outcomes is surely a factor in reduced viewership.

19. trayborn14

August 6, 2013 at 11:06 PM

Tina from Tulsa. I still love you reality Steve!!! Your blog keeps the show interesting, especialy this season!!! I dont think I would make it through a single season if it weren’t for your blog!!! I THINK ABC SHOULD BE PAYING YOU FOR HELPING THEIR SHOW. You only add intensity to the desire to watch the show. Love your blog and am a lifetimer fan!

20. practician

August 6, 2013 at 11:13 PM

HAHAHA. Now check out this timeline of RealitySteve’s live stupidity over twitter during the finale:

A timeline of RealitySteve’s live stupidity over twitter during the finale. 8:32: 1. “Nothing has changed. What I reported about the final result back in May never changed & I never wavered from it. Enjoy tonight” 2. Yeah, Des seems SUPER pumped to have last dates with Chris and Drew. About as excited as getting a root canal. 3. This is totally gonna be a Ross and Rachel moment. Des will say Brooks’ name instead of Drew or Chris ha ha. 4. We get to hear from Bachelor Nation??!!! Awesome!!! Can’t wait to hear them pretend to not know they’ve read the spoilers & play dumb. At 9:45: Thinking logically: So if there were no Brooks the rest of the epiaode, the show would be over now. One guy left. What else is there to do? 6. More logic: if Brooks wasn’t coming back, why wouldn’t she just tell Chris, “Hey I sent Drew home. You’re all that’s left.” Finally, at 10:46, well into the “After the Final Rose” segment, he writes: “Wow. Uhhhh, didn’t see that coming. No idea what happened. Just means ill have to get it right next season.” HAHAHA RealitySteve was still waiting for Brooks to do something even during the live taping!

Also, check out these two paragraphs below that Steve wrote last week. He sounds like some deluded Bachelor fan that he makes fun of sometimes.

“Lets not forget, this is the first time in the show’s history that they have changed around the ending of the show for a 2-part finale. If Brooks truly left last night for good and we are never going to see him at all next episode, what’s the point of the 2-parter? Why wouldn’t they have just kept the normal schedule, Brooks leaves at final 3, last night’s episode would’ve aired two weeks ago, the “Men Tell All” would’ve aired last night with Brooks in attendance, and then next week Des chooses between her final two guys? I don’t see why they would change the whole schedule up unless Brooks was making a return next week. And did you notice that in Chris Harrison’s blog, or on his “Good Morning America” appearance this morning, it’s not even being brought up, “Hey, is Brooks gone for good” or “Is Brooks coming back next week.” It’s completely being avoided. Even in the previews for next week’s episode, there’s no shot of Brooks, no shot of the final rose ceremony, nothing. Any mention of Brooks next episode and that essentially ruins the surprise because the second anyone hears that Brooks may be returning means that Des is with him since that’s the guy she clearly wants to be with. So they have to make you think he’s gone for good. All we saw was him driving away in a limo last night. Did we see him board a plane? Did we see him pack a suitcase? Of course not. But on this show, the “limo drive” has been engrained into people’s heads that it means that person is eliminated. I don’t know at what point he shows back up, what he says, or how she takes him back, but I can’t be more positive that my spoilers are right and she ends up with Brooks. No other storyline at this point makes any sense whatsoever other than that one.

Put yourself in Drew and Chris’ shoes right now. Obviously at the time this was happening, neither of them knew what was happening with Brooks. The guys are separated and don’t see each other until the rose ceremony. Next episode will pick up with her talking to Chris Harrison and deciding how to move forward and then the rose ceremony to, I assume, tell Chris and Drew what happened with Brooks, which is when she starts crying again. But if you’re either of those guys, even though at that time you didn’t know how strong her feelings were for Brooks including the giant meltdown she just had, how do you watch that last night and think that this girl is 100% committed and in love with you, regardless of how she tries to spin it? Obviously I’m talking about if the spoiler happens to be wrong, which it’s not. I’m playing the hypothetical here. I wouldn’t even want to be Drew or Chris at this point. But damn, I will no doubt have a field day next week if she is somehow miraculously engaged to either of these two guys because that would be about the most laughable ending this show’s ever had. Did you read her blog today? Other than saying “find out what happens with Brooks” (what’s there to find out if, by all accounts, last night was his last appearance), Drew and Chris are an afterthought. Not a single person would honestly believe she can willingly accept a proposal from Chris or Drew at this point after what we saw last night. No chance. And if you say, “Well how can she take Brooks back after what he said to her last night?” I’m sure the same people were probably saying why would Molly ever take Jason back as well, and look how that turned out. I will stand behind what my sources have been telling me for months. It’s Brooks. Don’t know the how, what, and why but I absolutely believe it’s him. Next Monday night we’ll finally get our answer. “

21. dgirl

August 7, 2013 at 2:32 AM

I am not sure if someone else has already mentioned this, but regarding how Chris felt about Des’ reaction to Brooks leaving and the comments she made: Chris and Des were on GMA Tuesday morning and he was specifically asked that question, and he said he and Des had made a decision to only watch the parts they were BOTH in during the first part of the finale, so he has not seen the exchange between her and Brooks, nor the conversation she had with Chris Harrison afterwards. I believe she knew exactly what he’d think if he saw it and somehow convinced him it was for the best he never heard what she had to say ( I just can’t believe he would go along with that!! Then again, ignorance is bliss, so he must be okay with keeping his head in the sand if it means not shattering the illusion that he was her true choice).

I think that the minute ABC found out Steve had been given the wrong intel regarding the F1 (so even before they aired the first episode), they set about carefully and purposefully editing (or even re-editing) the last few episodes to make it seem like Steve was right about Brooks to keep him from looking into a possible mistake and finding out she ended up with Chris (and therefore foiling them again). That is why they decided to air footage of Des declaring her love for Brooks and all that followed – it kept Steve lulled in a false sense of security and trust in his source(s), which in turn allowed ABC to capitalize on Steve’s popularity because that finale had zero shock value to anyone outside of Steve’s readers. ZERO. All that happened was that the guy viewers knew didn’t love her went home; she cried and then like all leads before her who’d had someone they were blindly infatuated/in love with leave (e.g. Ashley/Bentley), Des carried on and worked with what she had left. The “shocking” ending ABC spent so much time and money promoting was aimed ONLY at Steve’s fans – the shock being not that Des chose Chris (this was such a a lame season so nobody cared), but that Steve got the ending wrong. All those promos were in effect aimed just at us, so if you are reading this, you should feel very special! (lol)

At the end of the day, by coming up with this entire Brooks ‘fake-out’ campaign to work around Steve’s spoilers, ABC pretty much acknowledged his influence on their audience. There’s strength in numbers, so keep up the good work, Steve!

22. christelle

August 7, 2013 at 6:08 AM

Wish it was possible to reply to comments – would make this more of a coherent discussion…

I don’t think you are arrogant, Steve. It must just take an unbelievably think skin to listen to all the negativity. It’s amazing to me that people think it is fine to be rude in online annonymity. Your website make watching The Bachelor/Bachelorette way more fun!

It is surprising to me that more Bachelor/Bachelorette couples don’t abstain from watching the show. It must be horrible to watch your girlfriend/boyfriend making out with tons of other people. I agree with Desiree when she said that what happened on the show has nothing to do with them moving forward. So they chose not to watch the parts that didn’t include both of them. That’s a lot of baggage to bring into a new and fragile relationship. More couples might get off to a better start if they followed the example. You always hear about the bachelor couples fighting as the show airs. Gee, I wonder why?

August 7, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Here’s the first spoiler for next year. At the wet driveway: “Allo! Eees me, Won Pah-blow. I eem hear to, uh, how you say, kees many hot cheeks in bee-kee-nees. Luk at my abs. You like? Ees good, no? Mi pene es muy grande too!! Senior, uno mas cerveza, por favor. Las chicas son muy calientes!!”.

24. liz123

August 7, 2013 at 8:15 AM

What’s even funnier than people being angry that they were given an incorrect spoiler by Steve? People who actively seek out accurate spoilers by Steve only to be happy when they’re wrong. I don’t get it. Hey, if you liked the surprise of it being wrong, then why don’t you get that surprise feeling you loved every single season by not reading the spoilers??? Just a thought. Again, I’m not angry RS was wrong, but I don’t understand having the opposite reaction either.

@kjopo84 , I absolutely agree! Jen Frase is miles ahead of Steve in humor & writing ability. Sorry Steve, but spoilers are your saving grace. Gotta keep that together b/c the recapping alone isn’t going to salvage things. Yes, I’m here now, but if the spoilers fall off, guarantee I won’t be this time next year & most people get 15 year mortgages on those new houses.

@christelle, totally agree with you about other Bachelor/ette couples watching or not watching the show as it airs. It’s a terrible idea to do that! Could you imagine if your significant other got to watch what was going on in your other relationships the first few weeks after you met? For most, it probably would end that relationship. Fortunately in real life, you don’t get to do that, so these couples shouldn’t either. That doesn’t matter now. Move forward.

For those that say JP is hard to understand, I don’t get that. I’m not anywhere near being Latin (I’m Southern actually) & I have no trouble whatsoever understanding him. I know everyone is different, but I personally don’t feel like his accent is that heavy.

25. studiochick

August 7, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Why Juan Pablo?? BECAUSE HE’S SEXY AS ALL HELL!!! That’s why. That broken English – HOT! That budy – HOT! The way he loves his daughter – HOT! Former professional soccer player – HOT! ABC finally got it right! Women will watch and they will hate whoever he picks because they want to be her! 😉

BTW – I’m in the mass of “who cares if you got it wrong”. Still love your column! <3 🙂

26. vessel

August 7, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I don’t believe for one second that Desiree and Chris didn’t watch the season in its entirety. I don’t care what they blathered on about on GMA to try and come off credible as a couple. I have never believed contestants in the past who say this. Give me a break, most of them went on this show in the first place for the once in a lifetime experience of being on a television show, and then you went home and didn’t watch yourself? BS. Not buying it.

Also I guess I am in the minority here, but I’m not sure why exactly Steve “owes” us an apology? I mean he admits he got handed incorrect info which he trusted to be accurate, thus he gave us that info and lo and behold, this season’s sources didn’t deliver the real goods. He also said he had a giant omelet on his face, which is basically saying he feels contrite. Why isn’t that enough? I mean it’s a silly show, and we are talking about spoilers for that silly show-it isn’t like he hurt someone or killed someone and is now facing a jury! Not sure how or why this affects someone’s life so deeply they need to read him groveling in order to grant forgiveness, etc. That all seems a bit over the top to me. In any case I’m chalking this up to Steve being human, as in not always totally right about everything, and move on to Juan Pablo. Desiree looks like a total nitwit for trying to force something that clearly isn’t there, and I am D.O.N.E. with her and her lame season. I give it less time than Jemily took to end.

27. blahlalalala

August 7, 2013 at 8:40 AM

So, this has all been pretty funny. I don’t think people will be able to consider this a legit spoiler site in the future, due to all the repeated major mistakes. So, this will just be thought of as an entertainment site, and those who find it entertaining will continue to read, those who don’t won’t.

Some people have questioned why some are taking such glee at steve’s failure this time around. The reason is that many consider him a real douchebag. His biggest offense, in my opinion was when he attempted to pay contestants to violate their contracts and give him inside info. He reassured him that it was safe and nothing would happen to them, despite the fact that according to the terms of their contracts they would have been putting themselves in serious legal and financial jeopardy for doing so. at the same time steve was claiming publicly that he had done nothing wrong and that the lawsuit against him was some kind of goliath vs. david free speech case, and he requested donations from his readers on that basis. Eventually he admitted that he had attempted to pay contestants to commit said crime, and admitted to making “a mistake” (if I remember correctly) but never admitted to or apologized for a lapse in ethics. That moment really defined steve’s character for me, as an unethical & dishonest guy. Others just resent his general doughiness and disrespect for his readers.

Now, none of us is perfect, and I imagine that most of us have erred at various times, but hopefully we’ve recognized our errors, felt remorse and changed our behaviors. In fact, it’s difficult to simply live in this society in an ethical fashion at this point as we likely buy products from the usual ubiquitous stores that engage in abusive labor practices, and our lifestyles are bringing about climate change that will destroy so much on this planet, including the lives of many. In the context of this society at this time those are difficult things to avoid. So, who is anyone to judge. Still, can’t help judging steve for attempting to manipulate people into a situation that would have been so risky for them, lying to and manipulating his readers for financial support, and never feeling or expressing remorse, as those were active schemes on his part.

As far as the show, the wrong spoilers etc. : who really cares? This is all about the most asinine entertainment possible, and it’s all become so repetitive, and it’s so superficial and phony who can maintain an interest. i know I can’t. I can barely stand to watch anymore and often don’t, because it’s so boring that even the funniest bloggers are having a hard time wringing much out of it anymore, and they were the ones who kept many watching long past their actual interest in the show.

As far as Juan Pablo: can’t really see what all the excitement is about. I don’t personally find him particularly attractive (though he has some videos up of him in some shaving commercials, and he looks much better without the scruff), or interesting. But one of the many shortcomings of this show for me has always been the very uninteresting, generic people the show casts. There are lots of interesting people out there, but this show casts the usual boring hollywood crap. I can’t think of a single contestant I’ve seen who I would have been interested enough to have any interest in meeting.

So, whatevs,… Boring, phony show running its course, & douchey, occasionally entertaining blogger running his…

28. blahlalalala

August 7, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Btw, as far as Steve’s spoilers: most people aren’t interested in all the weekly minutia. They just wonder who wins in the end and that’s what they consider the spoiler to be. Steve’s gotten that wrong many times now, and most people won’t take his predictions very “seriously” (if you could take anything about this show seriously) anymore. His batting average is getting pretty low.

29. addicted2rs

August 7, 2013 at 8:58 AM

I thought the most damaging comment was when Des said she could never love Chris or Drew as much as she loved Brooks. And then she said “for me, it’s over” and “I want to go home”…

How can you go from that to being engaged to Chris a few days later?

Also, I think it is extremely lame of RS to be so contrite right now. If he were more humble about it he wouldn’t come across as a prik. Everyone makes mistakes. Its how you handle yourself once you have made a mistake that shows character (or lack thereof).

30. prettybaby2525

August 7, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Hey Steve
    I know it wasnt your fault I think people just really wanted Des and Brooks together and your spoiler just gave us hope. I was mad like the rest of them but you know in the long run you may end up being right when Des and Chris break up and her and Brooks hook up. I agree with what you said in your blog and your thory was just so spot on I dindt think there was any other possibility but Des ending up with Brooks. I dont know somthing seems off about it. like during Brooks hometown he could see a future then the next day he says he cant?? it could all have been staged by ABC you never know we all knew Des loved Brooks Chris Harrison knew and maybe they made Brooks break up with her we dont know and we will never know. But I still think something is odd about it SO you could have been right Just keep us posted on Des and Chris and PLEASE tell us if she ever gets with Brooks. I was pissed at you reality steve but I think only cause I was mad cause I was played by ABC and thier teasing us thinking Brooks would come back and I lashed out at you. You owned up t your mistake and I applaude you for that you were just as blindsided as the rest of us .

31. cpwest

August 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I don’t care if the spoilers were right or wrong—I was a believer, too. It seemed logical enough to me to expect Brooks to come back. No big deal.

But here’s the BIG deal. Calling Juan Pablo out for his “broken English”? Please. Steve’s grammar isn’t top notch on this site (Yes, I realize it’s his blog, so he can write however he wants). There are also comments in this thread from readers who jump on the Carbone Band Wagon. They point out that Galavis doesn’t speak perfect English and a few other pointed remarks. As if that makes or breaks a man. I guess this all comes from the high and mighty who want a man who is a Hollywood wanna-be-Ken-doll-robot….like Sean Lowe.

Here’s my response to the mudslinging. I’m pretty good at picking on people, too but to call Juan Pablo out about the way he speaks? I’d rather listen to him talk than someone from “The Jersey Shore”…. http://www.realityshowreport.com/2013/08/07/reality-steve-slams-bachelor-juan-pablo-he-speaks-broken-english/

32. liz123

August 7, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Wow, elizabeth82 & Steve were both SLAMMED in that article! I sort of have to agree with that assessment of the Juan Pablo criticism.

33. hithere

August 7, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Uhhhh…. Steve I hate to break it to you, but I think everyone believes you’ve gotten the ending wrong more than just this once. You had Chantal winning Brad’s season all the way up until the finale. You were literally the last person on earth to figure out that Emily had that season in the bag. I’m sorry, but I can’t even grant you partial credit on that. We’ll overlook not getting the Ali/Roberto engagement correct, as nobody gives two turds about that. Your batting average is still pretty good, but you’ve struck out twice sir.

August 7, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Wow, that “realityreport” blog was a PC POS. We’re talking about AMERICAN TV. So, I guess it’s out of bounds to say that the show might not be as interesting if you can’t tell what the hell the lead is saying? Well, let’s go all the way then. Let Juan Pah-blow speak spanish since he’s more comfortable with his native language than with english. Screw the viewers. Let’s just make sure we don’t offend people who speak broken english or people who don’t speak english at all. Let’s make sure all TV programs cater to non english speakers by making sure to always include someone who doesn’t speak english very well. What a POS blog! It’s amazing the crap that’s put out on a daily basis.

35. liz123

August 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM

rob22, I get the gist of what you’re saying & might agree if the accent was heavier, but is JP really that hard to understand? To me, his accent isn’t any different than someone who speaks with a Bostonian accent or a strong Southern accent. They already cast a Brit as the Bachelor in Matt Grant & I don’t see JP’s accent being any harder to understand than that.

36. kjopo84

August 7, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I honestly have NO ISSUE with the way Juan Pablo speaks. English isn’t his native tongue and he speaks with an accent…yeah, and? He has better grammar than 2/3 of the people in this country, that’s for sure.

And liz123, I agree with you. I don’t find JP hard to understand at all. I’ve never had issues with accents to begin with, but I think he enunciates perfectly fine.

37. blahlalalala

August 7, 2013 at 11:51 AM

m

38. vessel

August 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Wow what a piece of trash worthless article! (The one just linked above on RealityShowReport.) I felt compelled to comment after it. I’m actually really happy the next Bachelor is Juan Pablo and I don’t care if there is some broken English thrown in. At least he’ll be different than past Bachelors, and SOOOO much more interesting to watch than Drew and his rehearsed sugary schtick. But in any case whoever wrote that slanderous garbage sounds like they are in junior high, and can’t handle any opinion other than their own. They also clearly believe this show is about true love, romance, and a fairy tale conclusion.

39. elizabeth82

August 7, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Lol! That’s funny that that person’s reaction to my comment made up half the article on “Reality Show Report.” I was just throwing my opinion out there, ’cause it’s fun talking about this stuff. No, that a man reads isn’t my only criterion! (I’m a librarian so of course I’m going to pick up if a man doesn’t read at all, but it’s not a dealbreaker–as long as he’s interesting in other ways.) Juan Pablo simply isn’t my cup of tea the way he is so many others’ and I explained why. I wanted Zak for Bachelor because he’s interesting, adventurous, educated, and I can understand what he says better than Juan Pablo (so shoot me, ha).

“If you’re single, it’s not hard to see why”–seriously? You went there? You act like Juan Pablo is your best friend or something. Lighten up; everyone has different tastes and opinions. 🙂

40. amanda876

August 7, 2013 at 2:28 PM

@mikeflessplayedyou – you pretty much said everything I have thought for years now, especially regarding Steve’s insecurities. I’ve always thought that his attitude made them all the more apparent. You are spot on.

41. Kali

August 7, 2013 at 3:05 PM

One more comment about Brooks – he behaves like a man on the fence, not sure which way to go. Maybe the “spark” he’s looking for won’t ever come with any woman; maybe he needs to try a relationship with a man. I’m not sure if or how his religion might factor into his decisions, but he might have to give it a chance if he’s ever to find the happiness that has eluded him so far.

42. justforfun

August 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I didn’t care that the spoiler was wrong. I thought it was funny given Steve’s 100% over confidence especially since he even admitted he didn’t have all the details.

As for Des and Chris, I don’t think they have a chance. She just doesn’t seem to be that into him. Her body language says it all. And he seems to be the kind of guy that is too clingy, and smothering.

I am so glad they chose Juan Pablo as the next bachelor. It would have been horrible to have to watch Drew pretend to be a straight man for another season as the bachelor. I don’t have any problem understanding Juan, his accent is not heavy.

As for Steve’s blog, the only reason I read it is for the spoilers. Jen Frase’s blog is so much funnier, and better written. It will be interesting to see if he gets the spoilers correct next season. If not, I suspect he’ll lose a lot of readers……

43. liz123

August 7, 2013 at 6:13 PM

@elizabeth82, I’m not necessarily saying I disagree with you, so please don’t take this as confrontational, but what about Zak makes you say he’s interesting? I didn’t really see anything all that interesting about him. He seemed like a super nice & genuine guy, just kind of boring. Also, what makes you say he’s more educated than Juan Pablo? I think I read somewhere that JP went to college in Miami. Maybe Z is college educated too, but why would you say Z is necessarily more educated? Seriously not being argumentative. I just wonder what you see/know that I haven’t or is it just perception?

44. elizabeth82

August 7, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Hey Liz. Well, I remember reading in Zak’s questionnaire that he has at least one Master’s degree and he listed multiple books (pretty heavy classic novels) that he likes. Also, in terms of what we saw on the show, there’s a quirkiness to him that I find interesting. And no worries, I don’t think you’re being argumentative at all.

45. elizabeth82

August 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM

I also like Zak’s spontaneity, probably because that’s the complete opposite of me, ha.

46. dkmd

August 7, 2013 at 7:54 PM

When every season of the Bachelor/Bachelorette begins, one of the first things I do is go on your website to read the spoilers and get the outcome. I can’t say that this ruins the show, but it does kind of take away a bit of the excitement. (My fault, I know. But, what can I say, I’m impatient.) I’m actually glad that you get the ending wrong every once in a while! It certainly made Monday night’s show more exciting. I was actually surprised by the ending, which I haven’t been in quite a few seasons. It’s like knowing the sex of a baby before it’s born. You’re pretty sure it’s going to be a boy, but there’s a slim chance it could be a girl.
    I will most definitely continue to follow you! I’m looking forward to an interesting season with Bachelor Juan Pablo. I predict a lot of crazy women and fake Spanish accents!!!

47. kasey31

August 7, 2013 at 8:11 PM

Hey! Where have all of you been all season? : ) It’s lively in here!

I think I am in the minority, but I actually enjoyed the ending this season. I hated her actual season, but it was one of my favorite finales. Des looked genuinely happy, and I think Chris seems like a great guy, definitely the best choice out of the men she had left. I do have to wonder, though, what would she have done if Brooks did come back? I hope she would have stuck with her decision, but I’m not so sure she would have. I guess we’ll never know. In any event, I wish them the best.

I watched the finale with a good friend, and we both already knew the ending. I think it would have been so much more fun if we didn’t, but, the temptation was just too much, and I simply couldn’t resist..

As for Steve getting it wrong, se la vie.. He was due to get a season wrong, and lucky for him it happened to be the most unpopular season. He’s cocky and arrogant, yes. But I don’t think he owes anyone any apologies, unless he wants to personally apologize to the people directly involved- he didn’t affect me or my life. And he didn’t intentionally hurt anyone. He thought he had it right, and he was wrong. That’s all. I remember, Iheart, that apology that he wrote during Brad’s season.. maybe he was in a more generous, gracious mood bc he still managed to get the ending right before it aired? Haha..

Could he show more humility? Sure. But he will always be overly confident, and his long time readers know that. It would be kind of weird if he flip flopped. Truth is, he can never be 100% certain unless he’s physically there during the proposal. It’s just a silly show for entertainment, and he has provided me with a lot of laughs throughout the years.

Now, on to Juan Pablo! This should be good… : )

48. glimmergirl

August 7, 2013 at 8:52 PM

New to reality steve, and coming from OZ. Love getting spoilers and so wanted you to be wrong as I loved Chris and Des together, that being said I think you were right and they have paid them to propose etc….In the lead up they showed BOTH Drew (casually dressed) and Chris (FOMALLY dressed) crying in backs of limos…..so I do think they re-did it. Also the voice over of Des talking about Brooks etc was different audio to the other voice overs…..anyways….Chris should have asked more Q’s however its up to him…lets leave the love story to unfold and in time another romance will frizzle!!

August 8, 2013 at 7:56 AM

My point on Juan Pah-blow’s accent is that it seems fine when he’s on script. When he’s able to memorize and practice what he’s going to say, then he is easy to understand…. and for the ATFR, I’m sure the producers made sure he was practiced and ready to go. However, Chris asked him a question, towards the end of his ATFR appearance, that apparently was a little off script. (Thanks Chris!) The second that happened, he started to struggle for the english words to use and his accent thickened. Suddenly he turned into Speedy Gonzalez. My guess is that there wasn’t a formal script, at least for him, during this season, so he was tough to understand. So the edit team cut him almost entirely out of the show. (That and because he’s probably not very interesting). The only times you heard him, for the most part, were in scripted ITMs or in short one line comments. This is going to be the challenge for the season. They have a few weeks to clean up that accent. And with the proper professional assistance, maybe that can happen pretty fast. But, make no mistake, if the producers didn’t think they could clean up JPs accent, he would be a total no go for a Bachelor role. The only reason they’re going through the trouble is because they don’t have any other viable or believable candidates within the show. And, as Steve often points out, they haven’t gone outside of the show in a long time. They believe in their formula for success, which includes known participants from prior Bachelorette seasons…. and usually from the most recent season. They want Bachelors that are known and have a following. The memorable guys from this season, other than JP, were either gay, weird or douches. JP wasn’t on the show enough for everyone to hate him, but he was on the show pretty long for a guy they never showed, so he qualified based on longevity and not being an obvious gay douche. As a result, they’re kind of stuck with Juan Pah-blow and they need to get him ready fast.

50. kinbville

August 8, 2013 at 8:25 AM

Hey Steve,
    How about a question, that you’ve probably been asked before, but at least it has NOTHING to do with the surprise ending Monday night (which means nothing to me, I still love your weekly updates etc. Don’t sweat it!)

As a fellow 24 fan, and I mean I LOVE that show, have you gotten into Homeland? Again, if you have answered this before, I’m sorry, but I never was into it until about a month ago and I’ve had so much fun watching all the episodes. I’m almost done. Its such a great show. I just wondered what you thought of it, which characters you liked etc. Also, are you excited to see a new season of 24?

Still a big fan, keep up your spoilers. Oh and BTW, why no Big Brother recaps anymore? I miss those! If you don’t find someone new, I’ll write them myself

Signed a bored, former lawyer turned stay at home mom.