As a long-time fan, I haven’t yet had a reason to email (I know, I know, you never call…you never write….), but I finally threw myself into the fray last night. Yep, I tweeted. It was cracking me up how Twitter was blowing up with all the criticism and negativity and suggestions to find a new occupation (really?). Not that you needed it, but I offered a little positive support. About 115 characters worth.
After reading your column today, and watching the show last night, a few things occurred to me.
1. You have adamantly stated “Desiree left Antigua engaged, and is engaged today”. True
2. You told us Brooks was not ready for a relationship or to get married. True
3. You told us Drew, Chris and Brooks were the final three. True
4. You told us Chris and Brooks were the final two. True
5. I think we all agree that Desiree had put Brooks into the “winner” slot, until he decided to leave, and it was going to be really implausible that she decided she loved one of the other two all of a sudden. True
Looks to me like the only thing your source was incorrect about was who the final one was. I can live with that. I have enjoyed your commentary and spoilers almost from day one, and am happy to hear that you will continue to do so. This show has gotten so scripted and contrived, it’s laughable. I enjoy watching how they try to make each week “the most dramatic EVER”, when it’s all re-hashed, planned, poorly edited, and just plain bad acting. It is entertaining to try to guess who will get the biggest career change after appearing on the show (it’s a tie between Travis Stork & Melissa Rycroft).
I know you do this for your own reasons, but I say keep those spoilers coming! Nobody’s perfect and everyone’s entitled to a mistake every now and again. I will keep reading, and enjoying the sarcastic commentary while agreeing with every word. Next time you’re in Southern California, wave….you visit a lot of my favorite hangouts!
Comment: Ha ha. Never really looked at it that way. Damn. I was right about a lot. I give myself an “A-.”
The spoilers aren’t going anywhere. As long as this show is on the air, I will continue to spoil it. One wrong season isn’t going to make me stop.
I really think you are underestimating your influence on all things Bach related! While I don’t believe you are in cahoots with anyone, I’m starting to think they hyped and manipulated the whole Des/Brooks scene just to prove the spoiled outcome wrong. They obviously pay close attention to what you say, and since your spoilers are out long before any of their episodes are shown, they would have plenty of time to edit any way they choose. They needed to find a way to finally live up to their ‘most dramatic episode ever’ B.S.
With your knowledge and expertise at putting the puzzle pieces you receive together, you have educated so many of us to the reality of reality TV. Prior to finding your blog years ago, I half believed everything I saw. Not everything, because I have first hand experience in being manipulated in an interview for a local news broadcast. Nothing major, but enough to know that what is played out on TV is rarely the way things really happen. That being said, I honestly believe it’s possible for them to have chosen their storylines based somewhat on what your blog stated months before the premier episode even aired. They will do anything in their power to discredit you and their pansy ways have proven that!
You may think I’m crazy for thinking you have that much power, but hey you were enough of an annoyance to them that they went after you in two separate lawsuits, and continue their rampage with twitter hates. If you didn’t matter to them why would they continue to mention your name? Not only are you a thorn in their proverbial rose, so is everyone else who uses your info as their own. So it’s not just your site, it’s every site that reports the spoilers once they’ve taken them from you. It’s for those reasons I really think that you are underestimating your importance to them.
I will continue to be a fan as long as you continue to write. Although I thoroughly enjoy finding out the ending in advance, as many others have said, it’s commentary along the way that makes your site so great. I really like being able to go in to each episode knowing what to look out for. It just wouldn’t be the same with out your input!
Comment: I definitely matter to them as evidenced by the things you mentioned. I guess I just don’t think I matter as much as some others do. I’m no doubt a thorn in their side, a guy they’d like to shut up, and someone they wish would go away. I’m pretty amazed looking back at Monday’s episode how much was focused around knowing my spoiler was wrong when, and they would even admit this, there are still more people that watch this show who DON’T know the spoilers than who do. So why cater to the minority of their audience?
Stteeeeeevvveeeee, (to be read à la “Bruce” at a Bruce Springsteen concert)
1. Whoever is complaining about the spoilers being off is looking at it all wrong. This was the first time EVER I was genuinely surprised at a finale (yes, fin-AL-ee, not fin-OL-ee, you’re right.) & it made it that much more fun. As much as I love knowing ahead of time, this was a nice change of pace. Looks like you’re taking it all in stride, though, and seem to have a sense of humor about it.
2. Anywho, Juan Pablo is maybe the worst pick for Bachelor in the history of the franchise. I just don’t get it. I would honestly have preferred anyone, one-eff-Jef, Brad 3.0, Crazy-eyes-Zak, ANYONE over him. I’m in the minority here, but I find Juan Pablo to be very dense, uninteresting, a little pompous and arrogant, and above all BORING. Why, Steve, why? This must be cruel joke. Drew would have been an amazing, sincere, and entertaining bachelor. I’m still in disbelief!
Tell me this is a crazy prank played on us by ABC!
Comment: 1) Of course I have a sense of humor about it. If I didn’t, then I’d be taking myself way too seriously.
2) I will say this for Juan Pablo. He takes more selfies than the previous 17 Bachelors combined. Geez. I thought only chicks did that in the mirror? Ease up on the selfies, JP. Wouldn’t want America to think this gig will get to your head now, would we? Nah, that never happens. Only problem now is it’s starting 6 weeks before he even leaves for the show.
Hi there .. again. 🙂 I just had some questions I wanted to add to my previous email.
1. When your sources are wrong, what happens? Do they call you all like “oops, my bad!” or do you call them all like “dude, WTF?!” Will you ever use that source again?
2. Do you have like a rolodex of sources that you can choose from or do people call you with info and you follow up with “reliable” people with it to see if it’s true or not?
3. I don’t know how much of this info you can/want to share but, I was just curious, as I’m sure allot of your readers are, of the process you go through with the information that you get, whether it’s wrong or right. Inquiring minds want to know! 🙂
Thanks again for being you!
Comment: 1) I don’t like discussing much in detail about my sources. They gave me info that ended up being wrong, I take the blame for it, and we move on.
2) See answer above.
3) Ha ha, if I didn’t answer the first two questions, I’m certainly not diving in to this one. I understand people want to know the who/what/when/where/how/why of my sources, but if I share that, then I’d be throwing people under the bus. And betraying the trust of people. Not gonna happen. Not to mention its bad business. If I blurted out who told me stuff after the fact, then no one would tell me stuff to begin with.
So how much money did they pay you in the settlement to give the wrong ending? I hope it was worth it you piece of sh** sellout. You’re not fooling anybody. It’s clearly obvious you did this on purpose and karma will come back to bite you in the ass. Your career is over.
Comment: That’s an attack on my character to think I would ever get in bed with these people and deliberately do this because I was told to. Please. I don’t like these people and they don’t like me. There is no relationship whatsoever between us. We are on opposite ends every season. Can’t make that any clearer.
I’m guessing my career isn’t over. Nice assumption.
…It’s about how hard you can get it and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done!”
This speech from Rocky Balboa will inspire your comeback!
Comment: Of all the “Rocky” clips to give me, it had to be from “Rocky 6?” Ugh. I pretended that movie never happened. There are so many other great “Rocky” speeches from the other movies. Like the tongue lashing Adrian gives him on the beach in “Rocky 3.” One of the greatest speeches ever. She ripped his balls off and threw them in the ocean. And in case you didn’t know, I’ve seen this movie easily 100 times and could recite this conversation word for word. Both sides. I’m special.
You know what made that scene so great? It was immediately followed by the awesome training sequence with Apollo. How can you beat that? I think I’ll go do Max Interval Plyo on “Insanity” right now. Twice.
Love your site and seeing a glimpse of all the complete maniacs that email you weekly. I have never been on twitter until this morning when I actually made an account just to see what all was on your page given that your blog post hadn’t been written yet covering the finale. As if your reader emails weren’t scary enough with the hypersensitive Bachelor/ette psychos, twitter has made me think twice about the mental stability of the general population. No offense to you or your blog, but this show and everything that goes along with it is just mindless, useless entertainment to distract the normal person from the daily stresses of job, bills, etc. Truly mind boggling the reaction people had towards you.
But in respect of the mindless, useless entertainment the show is, I think Juan Pablo will provide a TON of great material for your blog. I never even saw him on Des’s show because I missed some of the early episodes. But after seeing him on ATFR last night and reading the tweet you posted of his, I have no doubt his season is going to be more ridiculous than ever. Nothing makes for better train wreck TV and built in sarcasm than broken English. It adds a whole new element to our Monday night drinking game.
Also, I think you missing the finale only adds new interest to the show and to your site. Your accuracy has been so spot on in recent seasons that I had kind of stopped following. It’s kind of like Lebron….you can’t hate his talent but sometimes it gets boring watching him dominate all the time.
Look forward to seeing your nutbag reader emails on Thursday.
Comment: I’m a fan of any email that compares my site to the dominance of Lebron James. Greatest email ever.
I’ll try to be as short as possible. I also won’t waste time telling you off OR praising you.
1) I have a theory, but it’s not as unrealistic as the ones you posted about people having in today’s blog. Clearly, ABC was playing into the fact that they knew you spoiled it wrong hardcore. The people saying Brooks was an actor or that any of what happened between him and Des was staged are crazy. My theory is simply that after everything happened, ABC had Des go back and record both “ITM” and sit-downs with Chris Harrison where she talked about how much she loved Brooks. Think about it. The only time she gushes about how much she likes Brooks more than everyone else is in ITM’s and with Chris Harrison (besides in their final breakup when Brooks leaves). Like you mentioned after last week, Ali balled in her season when someone left in the final 3, buts still got engaged to someone else in the end. Ali might have said things like Des (i.e. that she loved the guy who left-sorry can’t remember his name), but ABC didn’t show it because that wouldn’t work with their ending for that season. Because Des had a freakout, professed her love for Brooks, but then still was okay with choosing Chris in the end, perhaps ABC saw an opportunity here — either before or even maybe after they knew you had the wrong spoiler — and went back and re-did interviews with Des saying she loved Brooks.
2) Is Bachelor Pad coming back? I know it was canceled, but saw someone tweet about it coming back.
3) I know you can’t reveal any deets about your sources, so not sure if you can answer this. You said that you’re not getting info from the same people every season. So, if its not this consistent relationship back and forth, how do you get connected with these people? Is it always you approaching them trying to get info, or do people approach you and feed you the info.
Comment: 1) I don’t think they went back and re-recorded anything. Especially if you think it was done to add fuel to the wrong spoiler because there was always a chance I could’ve changed the spoiler if I ever got the right info. I didn’t, but there was a chance. And I don’t think they’d fly a whole crew back to Antigua after the fact to tape conversations based on a chance. No way.
2) Looks like next summer it will be.
3) Can’t get in to stuff like that. Sorry.
I sent you an email last night and said you had lost all credibility and asked about your next career move. You fired back an email saying I didn’t know anything and that you had made mistakes in the past and would carry on.
I don’t think you have come to grips with the impact of your 58% accuracy rate. It’s one thing if you predict 10 seasons of a show and you only miss once. But your record is much, much worse than that. I have followed your site since Day One and I knew you had missed other calls in the past. But in this case you staunchly defended your prediction in the face of evidence to the contrary. This was your mistake. Your ego got in the way of the facts.
I suppose you have bird-dogs on retainer, perhaps crew members or observers of the show on location who feed you information. Perhaps you need to find better sources. It is amazing what people will tell your for $100. Brooks told Des he was done, and left the island. Chris proposed to Des and she accepted. How good are your sources if they missed all of this?
The Des “bump in the road,” as you put it in your excuse post, should be a wake-up call for you to do a better job. There are many people out there who will start sites that are better than yours. When the owner of TVTattle said he was quitting, two sites popped up within a week. The site eventually came back on HitFix, but the departure caused lasting damage. You make the mistake of thinking that success is linear. It is not linear, it is cumulative. Just because you were able to continue after previous losses, doesn’t mean you can do so indefinitely. Eventually, people will see you as a fake.
One thing is for sure, if you continue to post and defend false spoilers, your site will disappear and ABC won’t have to sue you. Your site will become irrelevant.
Comment: So yet another person that dislikes me so much, and thinks I’m so bad at what I do, yet still admits “I’ve followed your site since Day One.” Amazing.
No idea where 58% came from. That’s just flat out wrong.
“Many people out there who will start sites better than yours.” Really? This show has been on 26 seasons and not one site has started up that comes on every single season and lays down episode-by-episode spoilers of this show. Please let me know when they do. I’m the only person on the internet putting myself out there every season doing this, so I have no idea what you’re coming from with that. If this was so easy to spoil the show, why aren’t 50 other sites doing it? Hell, I’d take one other site at this point. You’re making no sense.
I’ve read your column since Jake’s season (I think) but have never written in before now. I am a huge supporter and even gave a very modest amount (like $10) to your legal fund because I thought ABC was being a huge bully.
Your column is the reason I still watch this show. This season was so boring that I actually couldn’t make it past the 3rd or 4th episode (kept up through your recaps,) but the media narrative ‘Is Reality Steve right about Brooks?” had me watch part one of the finale when I returned from vacation and had me glued to the TV and to your twitter account last night.
ABC really should be thanking you because you provided a tremendous news hook for them that actually made more people tune in (I would predict.) After the first few episodes, I only stayed invested in the show because of your blog.
I watched last night waiting for Brooks to come back (even until the last 10 minutes – thinking this is not going to be enough time) but I also constantly monitored Twitter to see your reaction. What does Reality Steve have to say about all of this?? Without your blog, I would have bailed on this show years ago.
You have a tremendous track record with incredible accuracy (given the volume of details spoiled – even with dates now being tracked during filming on social media) and should tell the haters to f**k off.
I am a 38-year-old working mom with a ton of more important stuff to do, but this show is one of my few television appointments solely because of you.
Comment: The lawsuits were corporate bullying at its finest.
There isn’t a single person in this world that’s universally liked. And there never will be. I know what I signed up for once I became a public figure and the site started getting more and more attention and the readership grew to the levels it’s at now. Let people take shots at me all they want. I’m not going anywhere, I stand by every word I write, and I’m going to keep doing this til the show goes off the air.